Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,243
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
joel66

04-07-2013 03:57:37 | More by RochefortChris
mjpolzin

Wisconsin

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%

Not as good as the hype...

This is an excellent beer but when comparing it to other "world class" bourbon barrel beers such as Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, I didn't think it was quite up to par. I didn't even think it was quite as good as Peruvian Morning by Central Waters (one of the best beers to come out of my home state). It was still very good though.

The taste is mostly of coffee with hints of vanilla, chocolate and bourbon. The mouthfeel wasn't as thick as I thought it would be and although the alcohol was very noticeable, it wasn't as overpowering as BCBS. I have read some reviews that have people rating this beer better with a year's age on it. I will put a few bottles away and see what has happened to them come 2014.

04-07-2013 03:37:36 | More by mjpolzin
rdilauro

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Ok, people may kill me for this review. I know the ratings of KBS and I am a major fan of Founder's beers. I am also a Stout fanatic.
We have had so much trouble bringing this beer into our shop, so when we did, it went out faster than it came in. I saved a bottle to try.

The pour was beautiful, that heavenly jet black oil, glistening into my glass. The semi dark amber head was not overwhelming, but present.

The bouquet was awesome. I think I got my nose into this glass deeper than I have with other beers. No question about alcohol in this one, I could pick it out immediately.

The first sip, to me had a little burn to go along with a big round full mouth of coffee. The mouthful was better than the initial taste. Now, the finish, that left me a bit undecided about this stout. The second and third sips were basically the same, but what troubled me the most was the aftertaste. I just didnt finish the way I had hoped it would.

But to be fair, I am not a big Bourbon fan. I've tasted many brews that have either been aged in bourbon casks or have definite bourbon overtones. Those are the beers that I have not enjoyed as much as others.

I am still a major fan of Founders, but even with the high ratings that KBS gets, its just not the one for me.

04-07-2013 03:34:06 | More by rdilauro
DrinkSlurm

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%

Was lucky enough to score a 2013 bottle to do a 2012 and 2013 side by side tasting. The scoring recorded is for the 2012. Both poured into a stemmed tulip.

2012:
Pour is a deep black with a slight bit of tan rim head with a little lacing remaining.
Fantastic aromas of sweet chocolate and vanilla with hints of ever so slight roasted malts and coffee but ever so slight. Nice bourbon and woody booze aromas. Actually hits you in the face on opening.
Taste is so amazing. Deep rich sweet chocolate with nice vanilla and bourbon notes. Its sweet but so well balanced with the malts. Wow.
So smooth and such a pleasurable brew.

2013:
Pour is same color but way more tan head...about a finger worth but dissapates quickly leaving a bit more tan lacing.
Aromas are of chocolate and booze..way more sharp in the alcohol aroma. Not quite as sweet as the aged.
Taste is a bit more vanilla and sharp booze. A bit more roasted malts and coffee flavor. Its way more sharp and way more coffee. Still an awesome brew. 4.5 on the 2012

Overall, the 2012 was way better. Much smoother, much more developed flavor, less of a sharpness, and smoother. I will definitely be aging my other 2013 until next year.

04-07-2013 02:28:22 | More by DrinkSlurm
roundthewaygirls

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

2012 KBS reviewed after a year of bottle aging. poured into a chimay chalice.

A: slick black motor oil. no light. no head.

S: bourbon, vanilla, sweetness fades to coffee bitterness.

T: BOURBON. the roasted malts come to the foreground, coffee, bitter dark chocolate is pervasive and lingers on the tongue. boozy bourbon finish.

M: smooth, viscous, melting over the tongue.

O: religious, sexual. interesting that the roasted malts stand out the most after a year. tastes like discipline.

04-07-2013 02:26:53 | More by roundthewaygirls

STXIDHI13

04-07-2013 00:29:12 | More by STXIDHI13
jimmy82063

4.4/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a tulip glass....Jet Black with minimal to no lacing. The smell is very coffee forward with a hint of Oak and Vanilla. Taste, there is a bit of bourbon up front; as this warms the bourbon is more noticeable, coffee comes up as well as a bit of vaniila and some chocolate. Alcohol is certainly well hidden. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Awesome beer!

04-07-2013 00:04:52 | More by jimmy82063
EigenBeer

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

*Note: I drank a 1 year conditioned bottle

A- Pitch black with a tiny half a centimeter head that disappeared shortly after.

S- Best aspect. The bourbon oak was noticeable but not over powering like other beers aged as long. This may have been more noticeable when it was freshly bottled. Coffee and chocolate was present, but not as explosive as the Breakfast Stout. It had a nice combination of bourbon, oak, and roasted malts.

T- The taste followed the nose. Initially tasted a heated bourbon with a very smooth transition to a roasted coffee finish. I am not sure if it is the age, but there is a distinct earthy/dirt after taste.

M- A great combination of robustness and carbonation.

O- I was more impressed with the smell than the taste. I will have to try a fresher bottle to compare.

04-06-2013 23:12:56 | More by EigenBeer
LynnHomeBrewer

04-06-2013 22:10:11 | More by LynnHomeBrewer
Dylanjf

04-06-2013 22:04:48 | More by Dylanjf
Omnium

4.21/5  rDev -9.1%

On Tap at House Of 1000 Beers
A - Pours completely black with a brown head, but not a really thick head, and little lacing.
S - Big dark roasted malt right off the bat, some chocolate and vanilla, then that big bourbon scent.
T - Follows the aroma almost exactly, large roasted malt flavor, very sweet, with hints of vanilla, and some minor earthy hops, toasted wood chips, and some chocolate.
M - Very thick, but smooth, the sticky sweetness of the malt just lasts forever on your palate.
O - From personal preference, I dont see eye to eye with Imperial Stouts, this does have some great flavors, and is incredibly smooth, the 11.2% is masked almost completely, but it tastes like nearly every other imperial stout i've had. I'd much rather take your average stout against this, but I've had it.

04-06-2013 21:50:27 | More by Omnium
Givemebeer

Vermont

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%

1st review! Might as well start with a big boy. Had this puppy alongside a bourbon county. Honestly, the bourbon county blew it away. Not to say the KBS was at all bad, it was delicious. Great blend of chocolate and coffee with good lingering taste. Good mouthfeel. Not flawless but would be nitpicking to mention anything serious... I thought it would have a more complex taste but still absolutely delicious. If you find this rare gem, pick it up.

04-06-2013 21:44:57 | More by Givemebeer