Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,767
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

3.84/5  rDev -16.9%

Finally got a chance to try it out at a Founders event a craft pub by me was running. It started at 8 o'clock and I was in front of the bar at 7:58 giving the bartender that stare.

Well 8 o'clock came and I was pored an 8oz serving into a stemed Sniffer glass from which they had on tap.

Very dark color with a small antique white/cranberry colored head.

Smell was all Bourbon with notes of chocolate and dark fruit but the alcohol was also very noticeable on the nose....

To me it was balanced in taste.... got alot of the boozy bourbon taste up front but everything else in it blended well together and complimented each other. If one flavor dominated for me it was the coffee... but the coffee flavor was excellent... really good coffee had to be used cause it was very bold and just tasted like a very good bean.

A minute or so later the Bakers chocolate stranded out in the aftertaste.

Moutfeel was full but thin, easy to sip but the alcohol is there with warmth.

Overall.... my unicorn of beers is down and to be honest I was let down. I am going to eventually try it again but to me we had a bad batch or something. Maybe cause I had it in June (out of season) and it's no where to be found anywhere else, I doubt it... but you never know. It was way too boozy/barell-y taste for me. I've tasted 10,11,12 percent abv that tasted like there was no alcohol. Alcohol was very prominent in this one. It was excellently balanced and good but in my opinion not top 10 worthy... in fact I tasted 5 other beers that night and KBS was the 4th best I had... Definitely try it... age it.... buy it... but don't get your hopes up.

4.14/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was the 2013 iteration, which was notably different than last years.
The bar that served this up to me notified me that it was $13 a pint (pint?!?!?), to which I asked if they served it in a snifter (thinking the bartender made a mistake). She told me they could do a half-pint for $10. Uh, ok, I'll take the pint. And two snifter-esque glasses. Worked out well since I had a friend to share it with, but pretty funny. 9 barrels were allocated to WI, and this place got one.
Very delicious, as usual. This year seemed distinctively more chocolate-forward and less bourbony than in years past. Nonetheless, it is a very well-balanced and delightful brew. Not quite a top 10 beer, in my opinion, but still very very good. You should drink it.

3.5/5  rDev -24.2%