Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,910
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

4.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Coopers Tavern, Madison.

Why I'm not giving KBS A 5:

I may not be the most reliable judge For this beer because I do like me a sweeter stout.

I figure to review an iconic beer like this, rather than hashing over the same old ground, it might be more useful to place it on my list of all-time favorites.

For best of all-time flavor in the mouth (any style), my 5's are Mikkeller Black Hole, Berserker, 120 Minute, BCBS, and very few others.

For aroma, the KBS just doesn't have enough bourbon in the nose. My highest marks for aroma (any style) go to My Monkey's Got Wood, Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine, and J.W.Lee's Harvest Ale.

4.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I finally had the pleasure of getting to try this the other night on draft at the Yard House, Fenway, Boston. I've been on the hunt for awhile and happened to run into it by chance so damn was I excited...

Poured into a tulip glass, appearance was jet black with about a 3/4" head. Overall it was a beautiful sight.

BOURBON. Smell and taste, you get a ton of it. The coffee, wood, vanilla and roasted malts rise to the forefront and then you get a heavy bourbon aftertaste. It all blends seamlessly and is extremely well done. At just over 11%, I found myself sipping most of the night.

This easily lived up to the hype and is a must find.

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

First time having this beer, the build up was insane because of how coveted this beer is, i was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple bottles and thought its color was great, smell was great, and the taste was amazing with a good mouthfeel. Overall impressed.

4.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. This is my first KBS and I'm pumped!

It pours really dark black with a nice rich brown head that ends up being a thin ring around the glass for a bit.

It smells of Bourbon!!,coffee and roasted malts. The bourbon is really present-more than I thought it would be.

The first sip is full of wood, bourbon, chocolate, and coffee. I can't beleive how much bourbon taste I am getting from this beer. I am all about bourbon barrel aging, but this intense!

At 11.2%, it never seemed HOT. The bourbon flavor is nice, but maybe a little over the top.
I would love to try it on tap or an aged version.

Had it on tap tonight and it was a lot better. I prefer this over CBS any day of the week!

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company