Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,768
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -8%

4.18/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not as good as the hype...

This is an excellent beer but when comparing it to other "world class" bourbon barrel beers such as Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, I didn't think it was quite up to par. I didn't even think it was quite as good as Peruvian Morning by Central Waters (one of the best beers to come out of my home state). It was still very good though.

The taste is mostly of coffee with hints of vanilla, chocolate and bourbon. The mouthfeel wasn't as thick as I thought it would be and although the alcohol was very noticeable, it wasn't as overpowering as BCBS. I have read some reviews that have people rating this beer better with a year's age on it. I will put a few bottles away and see what has happened to them come 2014.

4.15/5  rDev -10.2%

Ok, people may kill me for this review. I know the ratings of KBS and I am a major fan of Founder's beers. I am also a Stout fanatic.
We have had so much trouble bringing this beer into our shop, so when we did, it went out faster than it came in. I saved a bottle to try.

The pour was beautiful, that heavenly jet black oil, glistening into my glass. The semi dark amber head was not overwhelming, but present.

The bouquet was awesome. I think I got my nose into this glass deeper than I have with other beers. No question about alcohol in this one, I could pick it out immediately.

The first sip, to me had a little burn to go along with a big round full mouth of coffee. The mouthful was better than the initial taste. Now, the finish, that left me a bit undecided about this stout. The second and third sips were basically the same, but what troubled me the most was the aftertaste. I just didnt finish the way I had hoped it would.

But to be fair, I am not a big Bourbon fan. I've tasted many brews that have either been aged in bourbon casks or have definite bourbon overtones. Those are the beers that I have not enjoyed as much as others.

I am still a major fan of Founders, but even with the high ratings that KBS gets, its just not the one for me.

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to score a 2013 bottle to do a 2012 and 2013 side by side tasting. The scoring recorded is for the 2012. Both poured into a stemmed tulip.

2012:
Pour is a deep black with a slight bit of tan rim head with a little lacing remaining.
Fantastic aromas of sweet chocolate and vanilla with hints of ever so slight roasted malts and coffee but ever so slight. Nice bourbon and woody booze aromas. Actually hits you in the face on opening.
Taste is so amazing. Deep rich sweet chocolate with nice vanilla and bourbon notes. Its sweet but so well balanced with the malts. Wow.
So smooth and such a pleasurable brew.

2013:
Pour is same color but way more tan head...about a finger worth but dissapates quickly leaving a bit more tan lacing.
Aromas are of chocolate and booze..way more sharp in the alcohol aroma. Not quite as sweet as the aged.
Taste is a bit more vanilla and sharp booze. A bit more roasted malts and coffee flavor. Its way more sharp and way more coffee. Still an awesome brew. 4.5 on the 2012

Overall, the 2012 was way better. Much smoother, much more developed flavor, less of a sharpness, and smoother. I will definitely be aging my other 2013 until next year.

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

2012 KBS reviewed after a year of bottle aging. poured into a chimay chalice.

A: slick black motor oil. no light. no head.

S: bourbon, vanilla, sweetness fades to coffee bitterness.

T: BOURBON. the roasted malts come to the foreground, coffee, bitter dark chocolate is pervasive and lingers on the tongue. boozy bourbon finish.

M: smooth, viscous, melting over the tongue.

O: religious, sexual. interesting that the roasted malts stand out the most after a year. tastes like discipline.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company