Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,143
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
bszern

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Had on tap during the Evacuation Day bar crawl.

Smell was complete booze...smelled like Jim Beam. Not terrible, but a little over the top (but what am I supposed to expect with a bourbon stout?)

Taste was great. A little boozy, but very balanced. I don't really know what else to say about this...if you can get it, give it a shot--you won't be disappointed!

03-18-2012 01:28:36 | More by bszern

Crimsontider22

03-17-2012 19:34:14 | More by Crimsontider22
jsm1289

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Well it is the famous KBS, much hyped, although not as much insanity to acquire as CBS , BCS and Bourbon County Coffee. Managed to get my hands on some, despite avoiding the price gauging of other unnamed establishments. I believe it to the best best stout I have ever had. Mountains of complexity, bourbon, oak, coffee, vanilla, awesomely smooth and delicious, but not overwhelming on the palate in terms of mouth feel . easy to drink, could have it everyday. it has so much going on but not that intense, giving it a nice smooth taste with so much to savor. I hope founders lives up to its promise and produces 3x as much for 2012.

03-17-2012 19:22:31 | More by jsm1289
jtingue

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

2012 Batch. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance. Cherry dark brown through the pour. Pitch Black in the glass. Some small patches of lacing stick to the side of the glass.

Smell. Surprising amount of coffee on the nose. A lot roastier and more chocolatey than regular breakfast stout. The bourbon adds some wonderful, light vanilla and some charred oak.

Taste. Starts out very chocolatey, with a hint of vanilla. Some slight bitterness punctuates a switch to toffee and bourbon and then fades into the background. Overtones of grain alcohol start and are present throughout. Coffee bitterness and flavor take over with surprising power for a beer which has been aged for "over a year". Some vanilla and toffee come back, with a buttery bourbon flavor in the background. The finish is sweet at first, and then quickly becomes dry with coffee bitterness and some alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel. Starts out thick and creamy, but the carbonation gives way to a prickly mouthfeel.

For me this one lives up to the hype and more. I see the similarities between this and original Breakfast stout, but this one just takes it to the next level. The bourbon is so subtle in its application, and only accompanies the other flavors already present. For me a perfect beer.

03-17-2012 19:09:05 | More by jtingue
redfacedshooter

03-17-2012 18:53:15 | More by redfacedshooter
OneBeertoRTA

03-17-2012 18:42:20 | More by OneBeertoRTA
Zachb4au

Alabama

This is the second year in a row I've had KBS. I had to go to Georgia to get it last year, but it came to Alabama this year.

A-Black as night, in the best possible way.

S-Coffee, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla. It smells amazing.

T-Roasty, with great notes of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla and roasted nuts. All the flovors harmonize in amazing fashion. I also pick up some good bitterness, and a bit of boozy warmth. No complaints, as close to perfect as possible.

M-Thick and viscous, almost chewy.

O-As good a beer as I've had. I'm partial to all things bourbon barrel aged and this is as good or better than any. KBS is worth the effort and wait to get it.

03-17-2012 18:06:47 | More by Zachb4au

03-17-2012 05:45:08 | More by nrombes
FeelinSurley

03-17-2012 05:16:29 | More by FeelinSurley
TomTwanks

Oh the infamous KBS, what a treat. Too bad I practically had to give a testicle to get some! Well, it was worth it...
Pours a deep deep black with a dark mocha head.This is a great start...
Smell - Vanilla, bourbon, coffee grounds, sweet chocolate, roasted malt...in that order for the most part. Just outstanding.
Taste - Very similar to the nose, but wow so integrated. I mean, its so balanced. Def the most balanced stout I've ever had. So good. It would be hard to top this in any genre or beer. Holy shit, no wonder why assholes chase the truck for this...screw it I'm gonna rob the truck driver!
Mouthful - So smooth, so complex, so inviting you for another sip. Medium to heavy. Fantastic

Overall - don't read this, get this is you can. Founders did it again...between GI and Founder's barrel work, theres no need to move from the midwest! Stunning world class beer

03-17-2012 04:17:39 | More by TomTwanks
LADoll

Kentucky

03-17-2012 03:18:03 | More by LADoll
Number45forever

Vermont

Listen. I love beer, I love craft beer. I get deeper and deeper into this web of delight each day. I've read about KBS. The stories...too good to be true. There's just no way.

Yesterday, on the Ides of March, I toasted Caeser's memory by purchasing 28 bottles of KBS from my local shop. A beer-acle. Lord save me, for I may never see another day so great.

After all this time: my first KBS. I opened one tonight.

It pours an unnatural black. No beverage can be this dark, this transcendently deep, dank and bottomless. How can this be?

This beer smells better than anything else I've ever smelled. I smell it, and I think Mozart. Spine tingling. The definition of balance. Coffee, chocolate, bourbon. Not one note out of place, not one phrase misplaced. Harmony.

The taste dances. Each sip a symphony of fireworks in your mouth. Such greatness. How will any other beer live up? It's all there. Nothing missing. No thought of "this is great, I wish it just had..." No, this is whole. A finished piece.

Moutfeel. Not too thick. Not too thin. Coats just enough, finishes clean. This is a treat.

Overall. Well, how can any beer stack up to this. KBS. I love this beer. I will always remember my first. Sitting motionless for 45 minutes in my seat, savoring each sip. Afraid to move. Contemplating life. What was your journey to KBS? Mine has been a ride. I can't argue with the path, I know the culmination of KBS was worth any price.

Cheers to KBS! To Founders! What a beer.

03-17-2012 02:49:23 | More by Number45forever
gkatsoris

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Motöroil!!! Midnight black. No head. Holy intimidating.

S: Nuts, roasted nuts. Expresso. Roasted coffee grounds. Anise. Chocolate, and cocoa. Coffee.

T: Sooo smooth!!! Balanced beyond. Roasty coffe goodness. Roasty chocolatey goodness. Expresso. Alcoholy. Roasted nuts. Slight bitter, almost a pleasant bitterness. WOW!!!

M: Thick, chewy and delicious. Coats the tongue, lingers; man this is awesome!

O: This ball is outta here!!! I think I could only drink one due to the viscosity, but without question; this is thee greatest beer I've ever had... peroiod.

03-17-2012 02:08:39 | More by gkatsoris