Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,378
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

Trevdawg, Jul 23, 2012

Tony44119, Jul 19, 2012

Tamarack22, Jul 19, 2012

MSEGUIN, Jul 18, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an Orval tulip at high altitude outside Denver, CO. Really looking forward to this one. Paired with Lindt dark chocolate (70% cacao).

A: Pours an opaque dark brown color with a relatively thin mocha-colored head of moderate retention. It's viscous and leaves quite a lot of lacing behind.

S: In a word: mouthwatering. Coffee, subtle bourbon notes, vanilla, chocolate. Very enticing and certainly no alcohol comes through here.

T: Opens with dark chocolate notes that give way to deep coffee flavors. The coffee notes add just the right amount of bitterness before giving way to a mildly alcoholic bourbon finish that top this one off very well. Delicious.

M: Full-bodied and creamy with a dry finish slightly reminiscent of whiskey. Complements the flavors very nicely.

O: Of the many imperial stouts I've had in my life, this one stands out as one of the best. Believe the hype for this one.

schlimenhaumer, Jul 18, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me friend's gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Props to Schlimenhaumer for the bottle share - thanks, man. I've waited a long time to try this one and I couldn't be more excited. Expectations are through the roof. 11.2%. No best before or bottled on date. I'm approaching it skeptically on account of the hype.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with dark chocolate.

A: Pours a one finger rich tan colour beautiful head of great cream, fantastic thickness, and damned impressive retention for the high ABV. Colour is a nontransparent solid black. no yeast particles are visible, but it's nontransparent and opaque. No bubble show. It's looking damn good so far.

Sm: Rich chocolate and quality mocha coffee java notes. Roasted barley and dark malts. Marvelous bourbon oak - but not too much. Who knew they could make bourbon so subtle? Some great vanilla on the climax; it's a bit buried but it's there. Cream. It's so rich and exquisite I can barely wait to drink it. Yet in spite of its rich complexity and subtlety, it's surprisingly restrained - it's moderate in strength. I'm just hoping the taste delivers on the promise of the aroma. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

T: Rich chocolate and exquisite coffee. Dark malts form the foundation. Cream opens and closes the beer. Roasted barley gives it a solid but subtle backbone. The bourbon is so damned subtle it's unbelievable. I'm having trouble finding the vanilla, but I do get it on the climax - though I will say I wish it were a touch stronger. There's a vague cookies n cream esque vibe to the climax. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's all around incredibly balanced and very well built. I'm impressed. Very complex and subtle. This is a damn good imperial stout. Hardly any boozy heat comes through at all, except perhaps on the finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Rich. Creamy up front but the cream bleeds through to the end. Just thick enough; perfect. Ideal carbonation. Suits the flavours near perfectly.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable, especially for the well-hidden ABV. I'd definitely get this again - if I was so lucky. Really an incredible imperial stout all around. I quite love it. In a world populated by so many imperial stouts, it's hard to stand out - but this beer does. It lives up to the hype. I'm really blown away. It's not quite perfect, but it's a damn good beer - that's for sure. This one delivers.

A

---
12/31/13: Truncated notes for a 2011 vintage bottle. Tasted side-by-side with BCBS.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger head of khaki colour which recedes within 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes. Body is a solid opaque black. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Sm: Sweet. Rich vanilla/oak bourbon notes. It's rare I find bourbon executed better than it is here - certainly better than the 2012 BCBS I'm drinking at the same time. Dark malts. Chocolate malts. Some subtle roasted barley. Cream. Gorgeous coffee/java with some coffee roast and the perfect amount of bitterness.

No hop character/alcohol is detectable.

T: Ah yeah. That's the stuff. Damn near perfect bourbon notes are seamlessly integrated with the base beer. Subtle coffee, good sweet dark/chocolate malts, cream, and hints of hazelnut.

There's the perfect amount of alcohol warmth, but no booziness or harshness.

Damn near perfectly balanced. Build is gestalt; you couldn't remove anything without damaging it.

Mf: Great creaminess. Smooth and wet. Great presence on the palate. Ideal body and thickness for the style. Complements the flavour profile beautifully, but doesn't quite custom-tailored specifically to it per se.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable for the high ABV. It's certainly a treat, but I do think I prefer it a bit closer to fresh. This is a beer I'll continue to seek out and enjoy. It's real difficult to compare to the BCBS - both are great beers, and I think age determines which is better.

High A-

kojevergas, Jul 18, 2012

Wheelz, Jul 18, 2012

Quik4life3, Jul 18, 2012

cwd, Jul 17, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -26.4%

2011 Bottle.

A: Black, completely opaque with a nice brown head.

S: Very much so coffee, some bourbon in there along with slight vanilla.

T: A ton of alcohol. I search for some coffee and malty notes, but really its a stretch. Tastes like bourbon.

M: Holy carbonation. An imperial stout should be heavier and more full bodied.

O: Pretty good. I would take their standard breakfast stout over this any day. In fact, I would take most barrel aged stouts over this. Not enough complexity for me.

alexipa, Jul 17, 2012

CliffBrake, Jul 15, 2012

KMcG, Jul 15, 2012

Klif, Jul 15, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

The highly acclaimed, and for good reason.

I poured every last drop into a chalice
Appearance is very dark with a thin creamy brown head, which slowly turns into more darkness.
Smells good. Bourbon up front with some coffee and other good stuff blending in nicely. It smells kind of hot or boozy but this doesn't affect the taste.

Taste starts out with a very silky smooth chocolate followed by an orgy of sweet coffee and bourbon. Awesome. The sweetness lingers on the back of my tongue. Each sip lends more and more of the aforementioned tastes making this one easy to enjoy. The 11.2% alc lends a nice kick to boot.

Overall KBS is a superb example of what a bourbon barrel stout can be. This bottle is about 5 months old and I feel the flavors have mellowed a bit. I enjoyed the fresh bottles ever so slightly more. the bottles on date is smudged and I can only make out 02/../12. Either way the coffee and bourbon blend together to create a profile that everyone should try.

FatBoyGotSwagger, Jul 14, 2012

rolltide8425, Jul 14, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured fresh (2012 vintage) in March of 2012.

Review from a rather informal set of notes.

A: Nice, dark coffee-colored beer with a thin, almost non-existent head, typical of a high ABV beer.

S: Delicious smell of coffee, roast, vanilla and booze (which I love in a nice big stout).

T: Wow. A bit of bitterness, but not overly so. I got very little hops (I'm not a fan of hoppy stouts). Boozy, but in the best possible way (I like my big stouts a little boozy) as the bourbon flavors (vanilla, oak, etc) shine right through as well as the coffee. Can tell this beer as a little age on it already as the flavors seem to be distinct, yet meld together at the same time.

M: Thick, but not too thick. Went down very, very smooth for a 11% beer. Very little carbonation.

O: This is a very, very hyped beer, and after trying some, I can see why. Luckily, I live close to the brewery and have a generous brother-in-law who gave me this bottle, as, although it's fantastic, I'm not sure I'd go through the hassle some do to get it (I personally don't want to go through that hassle for ANY beer). That being said, I don't want to minimize it as it's probably the best beer I've had to date. Founders again hits the nail squarely on the head!

GR_Rick, Jul 14, 2012