Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,764
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -8%

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

First review ever, so I will do my best.

Appearance: Very dark almost used motor oil look (mean that in a good way) Very little lacing and almost no foam, very small rim around the glass.

Smell: Amazing Strong Bourbon Scent (I love Bourbon) a bit of wood and chocolate after but the bourbon hits you and gets better as it warms.

Taste: at first I think you get the other flavors and then the bourbon hits you. I get the tingle on my tongue then get a strong bourbon and then another after taste of bourbon coffee.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, wow that sounds gay but very thick

Overall: Very impressed with this beer, I almost like it as much as BCBS 2010. I loved it overall, I would drink this anytime no matter the season. The flavors all go amazingly together and its funny but I swear I feel the alcohol after one beer. Great Job!

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottled enjoyed on 5/20/12.

Appearance: Black body with just a rim of light brown head. Frothy lacing.

Smell: Big bourbon and oaky aroma. Light chocolate and coffee with a strong boozy scent.

Taste: Bold coffee and bourbon flavors dominate the palate. Some chocolate, woody, and dark roasted malts as it finishes. Super bold and flavorful.

Mouthfeel: As expected, heavy on the palate and full-bodied. Creamy and coats the palate nicely. Alcohol is well-hidden for such a big beer.

Overall: Finely crafted with a bold aroma and taste. The strong abv and noticeable scent had me expecting a much more boozy beer, but it was super drinkable. I want to get my hands on a bottle with a couple of years of aging and have it go toe to toe with BCBS.

4.25/5  rDev -8%

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

This is my first foray into bourbon barrel aged stouts, so I might as well start with one of the best.

A: A deep, rich black. It looks rich and thick with a beautiful, caramel colored head. The head settles down after a few minutes to leave a nice blanket of bubbles atop the fluid. It leaves a trail as it slides down the glass.

S: Lots of chocolate, a little bit of coffee. It has some bourbon booze in there too which really tickles the nostrils in a pleasant way.

T and M: Lots of oak and bourbon are still prominent. There's a bit of coffee there too. These flavors really dominate the palate. There is a tiny bit of some dark fruitiness, but it's incredibly buried. It feels big, rich, creamy and chewy in the mouth with no astringency. So smooth and chewy. It's pretty hot from the booziness, even after over a year.

I really enjoy this beer, but I can't help but feel like it's a little bit unbalanced. The bourbon really dominates. Of course this is my first beer of the style, so keep that in mind, but the bourbon is really intense.

4.46/5  rDev -3.5%

2011 vintage on tap at the Brick Store Pub for the Breakfast Yard Sale - May 19, 2012. 8 oz pour.

Appearance: Pours a midnight black with a brownish small khaki head.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, bourbon, and slight alcohol.

Taste - Taste is chocolate, roasted malts, and bourbon. Gets better as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Thick and perfect for this beer.

Overall: I prefer CBS and FBS over KBS and I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be but this is still a world class beer and one of my favorites ever.

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%

So yeah, I went to Brick Store Pub's annual breakfast before work and had KBS 2010, CBS 2010, and Blushing monk to make an awesome 8-10 oz per cup beer flight, all on draft. Yes It was a great start to my work day. I had the CBS from bottle last year, from what I remember it's just as fantastic.

Appearance: Pours a viscous-looking black body with a small, short-lived tan head. It's viscosity is similar to a light molasses.

Smell: Heavy aroma hits with strong notes of smokey roasted malt, brown sugar, vanilla, fine pipe tobacco, dark chocolate charred wood, and smooth bourbon all blended well.

Taste: Oh... my.. god... these three beers were my breakfast and all I needed. The smooth mix and booming taste of roasted malts, dark chocolate, and strong vanilla-flavored coffee hit me on the start. Distinct, yet subtle bourbon flavor with tastes of smokey wood and dark brown sugar. Sweetish bourbon, roasty taste on the mild alcohol warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Full body and mild carbonation. Oh so smooth.

Drinkability: If I had to trade breakfast for liquid for the rest of my life, all I would drink are Founders KBS, CBS, and regular breakfast stout. Such a smooth well mixed beer.

4.23/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a CBS snifter. Bottle date: February 17, 2012. Acquired from a trade with StevenT562.

A:
Pours an extravagant black with a half-finger dark mocha head that recedes into a nice crown. Beautiful lacing.

S:
Huge coffee, huge chocolate, caramel, vanilla, baking chocolate, licorice, slight alcohol burn, etc. I could go on for days. This is a huge smelling beer.

T:
Taste is very rich with roasted malts, chocolate and bourbon dominating the palate. The second wave of flavors include caramel, dark fruits with a kiss of vanilla at the end. Bourbon bite is plentiful throughout. Finishes very hot and spicy yet surprisingly smooth.

M:
KBS rolls and drips through your mouth like warm molasses straight from Kentucky. Creamy and luxurious is exactly how I want my stouts to feel and this does not disappoint.

O:
A bourbon aged beer done right. Not sure if it's as good as the hype suggests, but a very good stout.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company