Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,321
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

Hellvis, Jan 27, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

Shared a bottle with my wife. Split into our respective cantillion glasses.
The beer is black and pours thick with a dense head.

The aroma is well bourbon woody, and vanilla. A bit more alcohol then is like. But still nice.

The taste is sweet malt to start. The bourbon comes in very pleasant woody and vanilla. The bourbon finishes along with a big dark chocolate and earthyness.

bishopdc0, Jan 27, 2012

mtparty37, Jan 25, 2012

beast464, Jan 25, 2012

sammo, Jan 25, 2012

HopFu, Jan 25, 2012

Ok so I'm reviewing this beer now in tears. A tragic thing just happened in my kitchen. I have some of my rare saved beers hidden away in the back of the fridge. I was rooting around cleaning out old food containers when I hooked the btl cap of my last KBS. It fell out hit the floor and began to bleed coffee chocolate stout goodness. I actually didn't loose too much but I wasn't prepared to drink this particular bottle of beer as you can imagine. There's no special celebrations going on other than the fact that I just got my 4 month old son to fall asleep for the night. So anyway, here I am drinking what I believe to be one of the greatest beers ever conceived/created/brewed/served/sold.
I received a four pack of the KBS as a wedding present from my best man back on Halloween 2009. We each drank one before I was wed. I drank the 3rd one when my son was born and now I drink the last on on a fluke. BUT GOD DAMN THIS IS GOOD ALE!
I'm not going to break it down for you, describing all the intricate flavors and complex tastes...no I'm just going to tell you to go out and find some, try it, love it. The 4 pack I got came from eBay. My best bud tracked it down and paid $15 a btl...so that's $60 for 4 12 ounce bottles of this stuff!

shadwrack, Jan 25, 2012

ZDePaolo, Jan 24, 2012

mikeycambridge, Jan 24, 2012

StarRaptor, Jan 23, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: If milk were black

S: Worthy of 2 high fives. Like bourbon molasses syrup. Actually pretty one dimensional, but you still gotta love the smell of thick viscous bourbon barreled black beer.

T: One dimensionality in the nose leads to short of expectation tastes. Dry roast, slighter bourbon, stale coffee, not much else.

M: Low-medium carbonation. Drying due to the malts. Lacks silk.

O: FBS is better. This being released how it is and in the quantities it is, I wouldn't seek it out again.

CharlieMurphy, Jan 23, 2012

McBraniel, Jan 23, 2012

EmmetD, Jan 23, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in Lost Abbey tulip. 2010 vintage. Courtesy of TPatuto.

Appearance: Pitch black, but very little lacing.

Smell: Caramel and vanilla from the bourbon. Brown sugar and dark chocolate dominate, but I'm surprised by the lack of coffee. I suppose it's because it's almost 2 years old at this point.

Taste: The nose knows. Caramel, vanilla, bourbon, and dark chocolate. There's still some alcohol left over in this, and not in a pleasant way; it's far too sharp. Though the sharpness dissipates some as the beer warms. However, the alcohol presence overwhelms the aforementioned flavors as I don't find them particularly strong in any aspect.

Mouthfeel: This is where the beer loses me. KBS is heavily carbonated and comes off surprisingly thin. More importantly, it feels like it's keeping the flavors off my tongue. I figured with the lack of lacing and bubbles, this might have sat down a bit further in the glass.

Overall: Good, but not great. This is the second bottle I've had and I haven't been impressed either time. (I wanted to give this a second chance since I first had it when my palate was a bit less far along.) I suppose it's fair to mention I don't much like FBS for the same reasons as mentioned above, and I can see how people would like both of these for their their balance. But I would search for Founders Imperial Stout instead.

Sarlacc83, Jan 23, 2012

nicholas527, Jan 22, 2012

everettsbeerguy, Jan 22, 2012

NikkoE82, Jan 22, 2012

dprophet, Jan 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -24.2%

JimmyW, Jan 22, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a 2009 vintage poured from a bottle into a CBS snifter.

A. Pours a deep dark black, minimal to no head, and rests at a glassy black finish.

S. Smells of coca, very mild whiskey and LOTS of tobacco

T. Tastes of coca, dark chocolate, mild toffee and tons of tobacco again!

M. This beer was very thick and chewy, heavy body with a very dry finish.

O. A good beer, but I liked the '10 a lot more. The evening I had this, we did a full flight of KBS from '09-'11 and I feel like the more you age this beer, the more the tobacco comes out. Fresh it is a little hot, but I believe the '10 is still my overall favorite of the most well balanced beer. A good beer and always worth a try whenever you can get it.

MBrausen, Jan 22, 2012