Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,587
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

4.23/5  rDev -8.4%

Reviewed on 3/10 at the taproom release party. I first must say that the hype surrounding this beer is simply amazing. A few weeks back at the West Michigan Beer Festival ($44 entry fee) I waited over an hour in line for the founders tent to get a 3oz sample. After I had my sample, some guy came running out of the tent...."Nooo, the KBS is out!" I thought it was good enough to give it a go for the Tap room release party in which I just attended. More notes along the lines of the hype machine for this beer... People were camping out last night at Founders to get there hands on a case. People follow the distributors trucks around just to buy the beer and sell it on ebay or craigslist. I found a fellow beer lover selling a 4 pack of the 2011 for 34 bucks ( a bargain) so I'm jumping on it. ( I will review that later)....okay on with the review.

A - Black as night and thick. No sunlight getting through this blanket of black velvet. No head to show for and not much lacing. Each blanket of lacing disappeared with each new drink. As a swirled my glass around, the beer left nice "plinko board" bubbles sticking to the glass for a brief moment.

S - First thing that pops out is the bourbon followed by sweet notes of maple syrup, chocolate, and coffee. I'm not a big bourbon follower, but this still does a number on the senses.

T - Strong bourbon flavor up front followed by a smooth blend of the sweet characteristics and a bitter bourbon finish. It is absolutely amazing the different jigs this beer dances on the tongue.

O - This is one hell of a great beer....but I have a hard time with the fact that it is so hyped up. I actually prefer the breakfast stout to this any day of the week. I wonder if it wasn't so limited in supply if it would be so hyped up? Do you get the people that see that it is so highly rated and feel that they have to judge it that way just because they are supposed to? Don't get me wrong, I think it is incredibly smooth and would keep this in my regular rotation (if supply permitted), but I just don't see the hype surrounding it. Founders marketing folks are absolute geniuses.

4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

A: thick like motor oil, black, brown head that gives a hint of its decent carbonation.

S: lot of oak, some bourbon, but it doesn't have the sweet smell of excellence of BCBS or Parabola.

T: taste is good, but there is something missing from making it a top beer.

M: Excellent feeling of thickness and medium carbonation makes this beautiful, especially with the slight bitterness.

O: I prefer a bourbon barrel aged stout with heavier notes of vanilla and caramel. This was more bitter than expected and kind of disappointing (especially after waiting out for 13 hours for 12 bottles of it). $5/bottle....

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance – A super dark black that lets no light through. A thin tan head that didn’t last long.

Smell – A very nice smell of bourbon and chocolate. There’s some coffee too, but not as pronounced as in their original breakfast stout. A touch of molasses as well. Very nice.

Taste – The bourbon taste is apparent up front, but not overpowering. Chocolate, dark roasted coffee and molasses.

Mouthfeel – Feels a bit thinner than the original breakfast stout. Maybe a little less carbonated too. But it’s good for the style.

Drinkability – Just a bit too much bourbon to be super drinkable, but it's a great bourbon beer nonetheless.

4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle Date:2/25/11

Poured into a tulip

A: Pours dark black that does not allow any light through even being held up to a light. About a one finger head of chocolate milk color that dissipates rather quickly (30 seconds). There is some slight lacing.

S: Smell is dominated by bourbon and oak. I also pick up on the alcohol even after a little more than a year of aging. There is also roasted coffee, sweet molasses and some dark chocolate notes.

T: The taste is again dominated by bourbon and the oak wood. The alcohol is definately present and after allowing the beer to coat my mouth, the alcohol does have some burn. After swallowing whats left is some sweet molasses. Allowing the beer to warm some there is a nice warming effect on me.

M: The mouthfeel is rater thin for such a powerful stout. A creamy character comes to mind but surprisingly does not stick around long after swallowing.

O: To my surprise I was not as impressed as I thought I would by. Do not get me wrong, KBS is a top notch BA stout that I would love to have again, but the hype may have let me down on this one some.

3.75/5  rDev -18.8%