Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,140
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

If you told me three months ago that I would review fifty different beers by June, I would have choked on my Busch Light. It’s crazy, but that’s just the way it happened. Anyway, I wanted to do something special for this one (even though, yes, I know that number fifty isn’t all that big of a milestone). And, thanks to 1Adam12, I’m now holding a bottle of Kentucky Breakfast Stout – one of the most beloved American beers ever. Thanks again Adam! You made my first trading experience easy, rewarding, and generally awesome. But enough about us – let’s get to the beer:

A: As soon as the first drops flowed into my tulip, all I could think of was “thick.” It poured very slowly, even more than a lot of beers of this style. In fact, it was so syrupy that my girlfriend asked me what I was drinking. “Is that really beer?” It’s funny, because this is what a lot of dark beers should look like, in my opinion: deep brownish-black, thick as hell, with a small but resilient head. I love the bold first impression.

S: A dark coffee aroma is striking at first, then it blends peacefully into sugary syrup notes. There’s chocolate, toffee, and a little bit of raspberry, even. The finish on the nose is, not surprisingly, bourbon. Oaky, spicy, smoky bourbon. Overall, a wonderful prelude.

T: Oh wow. This is unbelievable. A killer upfront bitterness throttles everything I know about dark, aged beer. It’s perfect for a hophead like me. The hops are solidly grounded in a combination of yeast so earthy that it gives the entire palate a rustic footing. Coffee and chocolate grow, as expected, from the dark expanse of the body, with some caramel in between. Great execution – very well balanced. The best part, though, is when the bourbon comes in. I really can’t think of any other word but “fantastic.” It’s deep, warming, peppery, and woody. It’s never artificial or out-of-place in the palate. The finish brings back that tart raspberry from the nose, coupling with the dryness of everything else to present a satisfying aftertaste that begs for more of the same. This is an experience that will be hard to match. Nothing short of incredible.

M: Rich, creamy, thick. This works very well with the palate. However, there is some fizzy carbonation (which seems to be a trademark of Founders) that makes the body just a hair light on occasion. Everything else, though, is golden.

O: Four words: This. Beer. Is. Epic. I’m glad that I waited for review number fifty to check this one out, because now I can really appreciate how exceedingly complex and satisfying it is. Without a doubt, this has been one of my favorite beer experiences ever. Next year I’m grabbing a case.

I’m so glad that Founders has such high standards. This is the kind of beer that gets me excited to go to the bottle shop. This is kind of beer that puts a smile on my face when I think of my future experiences. And this is the kind of beer that makes me proud to be a part of the craft community.

Here’s to fifty more like KBS!

05-30-2011 04:03:10 | More by BarryMFBurton
mjtiernan

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Got this from a trade with heyta…thanks heyta!

2011 12oz bottle into a Jester King snifter

I did this review as a side-by-side tasting with an ’09 BCBS

A – Black as night with an oily film on top. Only sign of carbonation is the tiniest ring of bubbles along the outside of the glass. A vigorous swirl brings a bit of life to the head.

S – Chocolate cream pie served with Irish coffee and a freshly rolled unlit cigarette on the side of the plate. Nice!

T – Bittersweet chocolate is dominant. I’m so glad this isn’t yet another too sweet chocolate stout. The coffee and tobacco shows up long enough to wave hello before giving way to the most excellent bourbon and oak. Not getting as much vanilla from the oak as I usually find with other barrel aged beers. Possibly the most balanced -bal beer I've ever consumed.

Hang on, I tasted this so many times that I need to get more to finish the review.

M - Not a surprise, but there isn’t much carbonation to speak of. Can’t believe how smooth this is though. Not as oily as I expected based on the appearance, which was nice. The bourbon really comes out in the finish but isn’t even close to being too hot…and this is a relatively fresh one.

O – I poured myself appx 4oz to do this review and had to go back for seconds before I was finished. So much going on with this one. Not sure if I will end up preferring this one fresh or with some age on it, but I’ve got a second bottle so I’ll find out eventually. Really loved it!

05-29-2011 04:46:21 | More by mjtiernan
Agold

4.4/5  rDev -5%

What an exceptional beer. This has been on the list of beers I've been wanting to try since the second I heard about it. Founders has continued to not disappoint with their offerings.

It pours beautifully with a short dense light brown head. It holds onto a nice little film of foam which leaves lacing down the side of the glass. Really exceptional aroma. Huge coffee notes, with mild mocha chocolate and light bourbon in the background. The taste is the same, with a mild pleasant alcohol burn. It is chocolate, coffee, creamy, and a very small dash of bourbon to add character. As a matter of fact, I was expecting a bit more of the bourbon -bal or oak in here, as i thought a touch more vanilla would be really nice with the other flavors. As such, it is extraordinarily balanced. The mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied. Really happy with founders on this beer. Delicious beer.

05-29-2011 01:16:21 | More by Agold
s1ckboy

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle poured into a snifter. Very strong nose of oak. Taste is a good balance between coffee chocolate and bourbon. Bourbon is on the lighter side compared to say a Goose Island or Angels Share Bourbon Barrel. Has a really sweet aftertaste of molasses. Very Good!

05-28-2011 16:23:15 | More by s1ckboy
JayS2629

Alabama

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Absolutely amazing. I traded some Mad Elf for this and it was well worth it. Best stout I've had to date. Complex and very well balanced.

The pour produced a solid thick motor oil black that had a creamy tan head with moderate retention and sea foam lace. The smell was intoxicating with oak, smoke, and bourbon blending into roasted malts, chocolate, and robust coffee. The taste was a robust coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate with a perfectly blended woody, oak and bourbon. The sweet bourbon flavor blended into tones of rich caramel sweetness and balanced with robust coffee with hints of vanilla.

The most impressive thing about this beer was how the complex flavors blended and complimented each other. The deep robust coffee lended a bitterness against a sweet caramel and bourbon smoothness. Nothing overpowered or dominated. Great chocolate undertones and smokey, woody notes finished it into a superb and mellow drink. It was creamy and full bodied. This is a beer to be sipped and savored. The bourbon flavor lends a sweetness and the booze burn was subtle and blended. Awesome beer!

05-27-2011 03:20:32 | More by JayS2629
GoldenVIKE

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Thanks to JRod1969 for this beer!

A- pours thick like motor oil; pour it HARD and you'll get a nice 1/2 finger copper-colored head that will quickly dissipate into a ring. Nice. Otherwise beer is pitch black and no light is getting through it!

S- The first smell that hits you is a STRONG smell of bitter dark chocolate, closely followed by bourbon. Subtle hints of vanilla, molasses, and a bit of cherry perhaps. Superb.

T- In the mouth it's the bourbon that grabs you first. It's got a bitter, smoky bite. Not too much though--perfect balance of the stout and bourbon flavors. Chocolate, molasses, and mocha are present as it goes down. Strong warming sensation, but the alcohol doesn't overwhelm even though it's over 11% ABV. NOTE: drink this warm and possibly even decant it. I made a mistake of putting it in the fridge for a little too long the first time I had it. It's still good cold, but much better as it warms.

M- Very heavy and good carbonation for a stout.

O- Great slow slipper for a cold winter night. A classic that lives up to the hype.

05-26-2011 03:11:56 | More by GoldenVIKE
t420o

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Huge thanks to Schmoopsbeer for this one!!!

A- Pour produces no head. No lacing. Beer is black in color.

S- Bourbon, chocolate, caramel, candied sugar, vanilla. A very robust smell that is balanced by a nice sweetness. Very good. They should make candles that smell like this.

T- Same as the smell. Bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, molasses, coffee, and slight smokiness. Dont really know where the 70 IBU's are in this one. Not getting much bitterness at all except a slight bitterness from the dark chocolate/coffee. Alcohol is present for sure but works great with the beer. Definitely a slow sipper and one that should be savored. The warmth feels very nice also. For Breakfast? No. For a cold winter night? Hell yeah!! Give me a couple of these and I'll sleep like a baby. So good you wanna slap your mama! haha. The tastes in this beer work so well with each other. I wish I had a couple 4 packs of this to age because I believe this would be excellent with a year or two on it.

M- Nice and thick, with very good carbonation level/feel

O- My only complaint on this beer is that I wish I had more of it. It was great and worht all the praise it gets. I highly recommend trying this one if you can get your hands on it. If you cannot get it in your area, trade for it. I think you will be satisfied.

05-25-2011 18:20:18 | More by t420o
Mosley1212

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from the bottle into my DFH Signature glass. Big, big thanks to JohnB87 for hooking me up with this one in an in-person trade! Cheers, John!

A--Poured completely opaque. Black as motor oil. Chocolate milk-colored fluffy head. Great retention throughout. Lots of lacing.

S--Bourbon is prominent. It burns the nose like it should. Chocolate, malts, and sweet lactate at the back end. There is a wonderful undertone of chocolate.

T--Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon. It tastes like an Irish coffee. Vanilla undertones. Bit of caramel on the finish.

M--Heavy-bodied. Carbonation is good. Lots of residual taste on the tongue after the swallow.

O--This lives up to the hype. One of the best imperial stouts on the market. If you can get it, try it!

05-25-2011 12:01:23 | More by Mosley1212
rhodeska

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to ridglens, wolfah, and kruthar for stopping to pick this beer up for me!

This had a really nice pour, just a bit of orangish foaming head, and had a great aroma from the start. Really good smells of coffee, some roasty, and a bit of alcohol in there too.

The first time I had this beer, I got only the strong strong coffee taste out of it. However, as I grew in my tastes, I got a much more blended taste of coffee, a little sweet, some good alcohol burn, and a great beer. I really could see myself drinking this at any time of day, an extremely drinkable beer that lives up to its trading value.

05-25-2011 04:43:20 | More by rhodeska
sommersb

Tennessee

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

My 100th review on BA, on my 1 year BA anniversary!

Served in a Founders tulip/snifter, from a bottle dated 02/25/11.

Appearance: Black, opaque color with only a slight reddish tint on the edges. Head is creamy and tan, about a finger high. Not a lot of lacing on this one, but not a surprise.

Smell: Very nice, rich aromas of dark roasted malts and coffee. Can definitely pick up the wood (oak) smells, as well as the bourbon and alcohol. Slight sweetness in the aroma, rounded out by vanilla.

Taste: Complex flavors are mixed well - the roasted malts and dark coffee, the bourbon, and chocolate. The thing that makes this so special is how well balanced it is. You definitely get the alcohol from the barrel aging, but it doesn't overpower the stout as I've tasted in other similar styles.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful, creamy texture on a full body. Carbonation is medium. Aftertaste is of roasted malts, coffee and bourbon.

Overall: Superb barrel-aged imperial stout! I had two from the 2011 bottling and will eagerly look for this again. Thanks to StLThrash for one in a trade and Steamhead for saving me another.

05-25-2011 02:47:32 | More by sommersb
zchall23

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottled 2/25/11
Served in a Dogfish Head Signature Glass

A: Jet black color with a lighter espresso colored head that lingers.

S: Exquisitely balanced scents of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, and a light caramel note.

T: Chocolate quickly, but smoothly, transitions to bourbon, with a malty vanilla flavor on the finish.

M: Creamy full bodied feel that has a nice gentle warming effect when swallowed.

O: The more I have this beer, the more I love it; I can sincerely say that this is one of the best beers in the world! I advocate hitting the Founders brewpub to see if you can get fortunate enough to get this on nitro, or other remarkable beer.

05-24-2011 04:25:37 | More by zchall23
Treebs

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottled 2/25/11, Thanks Gushue3 for the trade!
Poured into my Founder Snifter glass (I'm tacky like that)

A: Poured very thick, like a deep black cream. 1 finger brown head leaving a nice ring lace around the glass.

S: The smells that immediately hit my nose are incredible. Coffee grinds with an incredible malt backbone. Bitter chocolate with a slight bourbon smell on the very end.

T: I've never tasted anything like this. A light creamy vanilla with a roast coffee back. Smooth malts and milk chocolates finishing with a nice sweet bourbon and light woody taste.

M: Heavy bodied with an amazing lingering mouthfeel. Slight carbonation with a nice oily film that leaves an amazing subtle coffee with vanilla taste. Coats the palate with precision.

O: WOW! This was my first KBS and it didn't last long. This is by far the best beer I've ever had. The complexities of this beer are outstanding: the roasted malts, bitter coffee, sweet chocolates and vanilla, finished out with the wonderful hints of bourbon and the oak make this an incredible beer. I hope every BA gets a chance to try this beauty at least once.

05-24-2011 01:49:29 | More by Treebs
angelogarcia3

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

This is a great beer with a very dark color that allows very little light to pass through it. A very chocolate colored head greets the drinker along with aromas of Hershey's chocolate and hints of bittersweet chocolate. The mouthfeel is very thick but creamy. The taste is very chocolatey with a slight hint of vanilla and bourbon giving this beer a strong flavor that is enjoyable by itself or with BBQ. Had it at The Lark in East Northport, NY.

05-23-2011 23:53:43 | More by angelogarcia3
beerprovedwright

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Pour looks like used motor oil with some head. About a one finger head of light brown foam. Rings of lace down the glass, not a lot of pattern, but good cling where it settles. Color is a 40 on the SRM beer color chart. Black as coal, even in a shot glass it is black. Smell is very intense, aromas of coffee, raisins, caramel, semi sweet chocolate, and plums. Taste is rich and complex, with flavors of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, dates, raisins, plums, caramel, oak aging, and lemon zest. Warning, the demon alcohol, which is masked by the wonder flavors, comes like a thief in the night and hits you the side of the head...wow. Mouthfeel is velvet cream, moderate zing, and a slight dry feeling in my soft palate. A touch of maple syrup aftertaste lingers in the back of my hard palate. Not for chain drinking, although I would like the flavor to go on for a month. Breakfast, well maybe with waffles covered with chocolate syrup. A wonderful treat anyway you look at it.

05-23-2011 18:29:44 | More by beerprovedwright
phishdaly

3.63/5  rDev -21.6%

A - Dark chocolate brown with a faint tan head

S - chocolate syrup, sweet bourbon

T - dark chocolate, sweet bourbon, raisins. Immediately taste the chocolate notes, followed by a sweet bourbon, and a little overwhelming alcohol warmth. Not picking up any coffee.

M - full bodied. A little syrupy. Would prefer a little more carbonation.

Overall - I feel these big beers win ratings for alcohol content. The alcohol is a bit too much. Though it may mellow out with aging. I've been getting into single malts and small batch bourbons/whiskeys. Barrel aged beers tend to be too reminiscent of sweeter low quality whiskeys. I was attracted to this beer for the time and care listed in it's preparation. I would try it again, but am glad I only got a bottle for now at $6/bottle in NYC. Would like to age one and see how it matures.

05-23-2011 01:22:16 | More by phishdaly
jabergess

Georgia

Had on draft at Twains. Oh my God. Go for it. Seriously you are losing out. Bourbon and chocolate. They go to the courthouse and get hitched. Have a baby named Yummy and live happy ever after. Ok, they have a couple of babies, but they are all pretty.

05-22-2011 03:22:52 | More by jabergess
dvsbizzyb

2.1/5  rDev -54.6%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - It pours a very dark brown, almost black in appearance. Had a very thin mocha colored head that quickly disappears.

Smell - Bourbon? Nope I didn't smell any of that. I smelled mostly burnt coffee/caramel and nothing else. Disappointing to say the least.

Taste - The alcohol is just too overwhelming in this. I couldn't taste anything but alcohol. I thought it would have a wonderful balanced flavor of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon, but got nothing of it.

Mouthfeel - Very thick as it coats your whole mouth and burns your throat as it goes down. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Overall - Overrated! Very disappointed.

05-21-2011 04:44:19 | More by dvsbizzyb
Jimmys

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

A: pitch black with a one figure deep sepia brown head. some visible legs aren't shocking considering the ABV.

S: tons of dark chocolate. vanilla and bourbon. almost smells woody.

T: raisins and sweet bourbon. bourbon reminds me of banana foster. still pretty boozy in my opinion. even a slight burn. glad i have another that can sit for longer cause everything else is pretty spot on.

M: very gentle on a very full body. pretty much spot on.

D: great sipper. glad i got my hands on one of these. looking forward to trying it with some years on it.

05-20-2011 02:25:10 | More by Jimmys
CFHMagnet

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

A. A vigorous pour left me with a half finger of light brown head that quickly retreated to little more than a ring around the glass. This beer is such a dark brown into black color, I imagine it is something like a black hole, in that no light that enters this beer will escape it. Very light delicate lacing throughout.

S. I first smell the chocolate and coffee, but these are quickly overtaken by the strong aroma of bourbon. After the bourbon hits my nose, nothing else is apparent.

T. I'm first struck by roasted maltiness, and this quickly flows into the chocolate and coffee flavors. Bourbon follows this up, and the beer finishes with a big oak taste that seems to be complimented by bitterness.

M. Heavy bodied to be sure, not as creamy as expected, but that does not detract from this beer. Has the perfect amount of carbonation and ends with a lovely alcohol burn in the back of the throat.

O. This is a beer to savor and remember, I wouldn't have more than one of these in a sitting as the supply isn't abundant enough for me to want to just drink them away. The high ABV is also a deterrent in this. Definitely a sipper, but it still has a lot of drinkability.

05-19-2011 17:00:43 | More by CFHMagnet
Alpar

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Review #3

A: Extremely dark, light penetration is non existent. LOTS of lacing that is sparatically left around the snifter. Almost looks like a craft maple syrup.

S: Coffee ALL day, this beer is a few months old now and the coffee has not subsided whatsoever. A lot of malts, very little bourbon, vanilla and marshmallow.

T: Fantastic! Coffee stout love child. This is the only vintage I've tried but I imagine the previous batches were similar. Alcohol is pretty muted (at least to me) I can taste the oak but for the most part it is pure coffee and malt.

O: This is really good but I was expecting a bit more, especially on the bourbon side. I had no clue it was more coffee heavy. Seek this out if you love coffee stouts because you won't be disappointed but if you are a Bourbon Barrel fan, this is not a must.

05-19-2011 05:20:20 | More by Alpar
beer2day

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Jet black pour with 1-finger of possibly the darkest head I have seen on a glass of beer. Thin, thin sheen of bubbles leftover all the way to the last sip. Motor oil dark with no hint of anything else.

Nose is mocha, light vanilla, and deep bourbon. Underneath is a bit of bright, dried fruit. Getting more mocha and light roast malt, with coffee, as the glass warms.

Vanilla, dark roast coffee, a touch of mocha and cream, and a blast of bourbon define the taste. Lots of layers here. Excellent bitters in the finish and not the least bit harsh. Very smooth and creamy. Light fruit here, too, with a bit of cherry and very light citrus. Alcohol burn starts to kick in with the 3rd or 4th sip. Hard to get better than this.

Feel is very creamy, slight bit of fizz in the finish, and very smooth.

Overall, wow.

05-19-2011 01:43:16 | More by beer2day
mltobin

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

12 ounce bottle, poured into a small wine glass.

Appearance is black with barely in head to it.
The smell is powerful, a mix of bourbon, rich coffee, dark chocolate. Taking a small sip and I taste charred bread, dark chocolate, bourbon, raisins and roasted malt. The body of it is full and has a certain syrup quality to it. KBS is a big beer, that has a good complexity and quality to go with it. It would be perfect for putting alongside some vanilla ice cream after a hearty meal.

05-18-2011 22:37:09 | More by mltobin
kenneyho

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer lives up to the hype! Smells of bourbon, chocolate and molases. Taste like a bourbon chocolate bomb eploded in your mouth! Crazy good! I would drink this beer everyday and twice on Sunday if I had that many KBS in the cellar! It is a pain to get but well worth the effort.

05-18-2011 22:34:16 | More by kenneyho
jbertsch

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a snifter.

Appears black (surprise, surprise) with a tan head that fades to a film. Minor lacing. Leaves more of an oily coating on the glass when you swirl, not so much a sticky lace - but this is expected for this beer given it's ABV and the bourbon.

Aroma of coffee, bourbon, coca, and a little metallic.

Tastes like creamy mocha with notes of caramel, chocolate, and molasses. An alcohol bite lays over everything. The aftertaste showcases bourbon heat and the flavor of dark coffee grinds.

Meadium-to-heavy body (more on the medium side) with a slick, oily mouthfeel.

This tastes like the people who make Baileys Irish Cream made this. You have to like bourbon to like this, though the bourbon isn’t overpowering…it just takes this “beer” into almost non-beer territory…with flying colors. A great sipper, highly enjoyable, and it went very well with high-grade, bittersweet chocolate. Every beer geek should get their hands on one of these at some point in their life.

05-18-2011 13:30:34 | More by jbertsch
LaCoursiere

4.03/5  rDev -13%

On tap @ Mackenzie's for MN Craft Beer Week

A - A 10oz pour served in a beer flute. It arrived with a one-finger dark brown head on top of pitch black night. The head dissipated slowly to a few patches and thin collar. A little bit of lacing was produced when swirled.

S - Roasted malts and hot cocoa w/ marshmallows spiked with a healthy shot of bourbon.

T - Tasted roasted malts and coffee up front fading to cocoa and molasses sweetness in the middle. This gives way to a finish of boozy bourbon flavor with oak and leather notes. At the end the bourbon breaks up leaving an interesting hint of cinnamon/brown sugar sweetness.

M - Medium-heavy body with light carbonation without being syrupy or chewy, yet not particularly smooth either. There is generous alcohol warmth.

O/D - This is a bourbon bomb. The bourbon is the dominant characteristic in the flavor profile. I would have liked a bit more depth of flavor in the beginning taste notes to balance out the strong bourbon character that comes after. But that's being picky. This is a great brew overall and I can't wait until I can enjoy it again.

05-18-2011 04:29:33 | More by LaCoursiere