Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,147
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
muttyd

4.22/5  rDev -8.9%

2010 Bottle. Picked up quite a few of these this year, so I'm happy about that.

A: Jet black pour with foamy tan head. Nice lacing.

S: Coffee, bourbon, Kahlua, vanilla. Not much in the nose in terms of malt.

T: Very sweet. Loads of bourbon/vanilla. Chocolate malts, hops, and coffee mix very well. No burn/alcohol present in the 2010 bottle.

M: Very thick and creamy. Sticky on the palate and coats the mouth.

D: Very good drinkability. Can't really enjoy more than 1 due to alcohol and sweetness, but still very good.

03-24-2010 00:49:30 | More by muttyd
BillyBoysPie

Kentucky

Bottle into a snifter.

Pours an opaque black with an inch of dense milky/coffee foam head. Dissipates into a small cloud on the surface with significant lacing.

Rich smell - loaded with bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Lost of toast from the oak in the nose, and a touch of heat. I don't get an overwhelming heat from this, which seems to be a point of contention this year (and in general...). I'd say this - to each their own, but I don't see it out of style. It's well balanced, but the nose doesn't suggest more than a year two of aging. Plenty of depth at the moment: but age could be good.

Very deep and dense on the tongue. Creamy, but not sticky. Very palatable. Coffee and bitter cocoa dominate the flavor - with enough other flavors floating over. Some of the milk flavors are present, but the sweet honey flavors from the bourbon are light. No florals, but a touch of heat from the bourbon. Lots of toasty flavors come into play to keep the warmth in check. Warms well - a hint of metallic stuff on the end.

Clearly, unless someone is in the mood to kill their liver and brain (not to mention their wallet), don't have a bunch in one night. I'll be aging one or two. I can see some complexity coming out and it would be good, but if you like it now, there's not a reason not to drink it if you've got more than one bottle.

03-24-2010 00:33:19 | More by BillyBoysPie
tippebrewcrew2

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev 0%

I struggle to find the better beer. I can't decide as to which is my favorite stout. There are too many variables involved. This is what I have decided. I love this beer. Sometimes you have to put away the note pad and sit back, relax, and enjoy. This is one of those beers that will make you do that. I can't scribble enough on my pad to even remotely come close to doing this beer justice. Pours black chocolate with Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, and alcohol on the nose. 100% velvet with the bourbon coming through just enough and then slowly fades back into a bitter chocolate and soothed over with malt sweetness. I can't say enough and I do not have the skills to properly do this beer justice. This is an extremely complex beer. It is above me.

03-23-2010 05:59:48 | More by tippebrewcrew2
TheArse

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle poured into a goblet. This is a fantastic beer. Very dark beer with a this tan head. You have to force pour it to get a good amount of carbonation release. The taste is coffee first, chocolate second, with bourbon throughout. I think that as the beer warms, the coffee fades and the chocolate becomes more prominent. The alcohol is present throughout. This is a fantastic beer! Is it my favorite imperial stout? I'm not sure, but this beer deserves all the credit it gets!

03-23-2010 02:49:46 | More by TheArse
tjinohio

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a 22 oz wine glass
55 degrees

Appearance: Black coffee in color, almost viscous looking. A slight tawny head that dissipates quickly in keeping with the high alcohol content

Smell: The aroma is incredible. The deep wonderful aroma of creamy chocolate with the undertones of alcohol and coffee. The smell only intensifies as the stout warms. Every time I put it to my nose I found myself saying, "Wow!" I just love the bouquet of this beer.

Taste: Warm, warm chocolate, like a spiked hot cocoa, yet not sweet. Like a 70% Lindt chocolate cordial. It warms all the way down and should definitely be drunk slowly and deliberately. The aftertaste is where you get the coffee, like the best arabica coffee beans.

Mouthfeel: Warm, tingling, yet creamy. You want to enjoy this beer in your mouth before swallowing.

Drinkability: Wow. Are you kidding? This is one awesome beer. Of course, with it's high abv one is the limit. Besides, you want to stretch out this four pack as looong as possible.

03-23-2010 01:28:38 | More by tjinohio
Tone

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of coffee, roasted malt, sweet malt, alcohol, and slight hop. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a strong bitterness from the roasted malts. Tastes of strong coffee, strong alcohol, bourbon/wood, and roasted malt. Overall, great aroma, great blend, good body, but appearance was lacking.

03-22-2010 22:19:51 | More by Tone
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Acquired 2 bottles from table and vine at a hefty price of 8 dollars a bottle. 12oz 2010 KBS.

A - Oil spill black body with a brown head that really has come balls to it.

S - Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, maple syrup, vanilla... wow. Every component stands on it's own and really invigorates the senses.

T - Coffee and bourbon up front. A maple syrup chocolate vanilla finish. I grouped them together but each flavor really stand out just like in the smell. When rating some stouts I am not exactly sure about certain flavors I'm getting. With these stout each component is so pronounced and exciting.

M - Thick full body. So smooth and creamy. I could sip on this and let it swirl around my palate all day. The alcohol is completely hidden.

D - I split this one with soupedup and put mine in a tulip. I went back and fourth on it - smell, sniff, smell sniff, ect. I tried to make it last but had a hard time doing so.

No hype here. This is an amazing stout. My new favorite in fact. Too bad I have to cellar my last one for another year before I can have it.

03-22-2010 20:32:05 | More by DNICE555
rebis1bear

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

I was worried about this beer due to the hype. Then all I heard about was the price. thankfully I am in a state that this is avaiable in and at 17.99 a 4pk, I was alittle worried.

But it was just as good as everyone says.

It poured out nice and thick with almost no head. Smells great, with a coffee chocolate smell. Upon tasting, I get a rich coffe taste up front with slight chocolate hints but the longer it lingers I got a bourbon woody taste (slight cherry flavor?). I more I drank the more I picked but the backround bourbon flavoring.

Over all, it was great and well worth the price

03-22-2010 15:28:49 | More by rebis1bear
silver0rlead

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an impenetrable onyx with a thin brown head that doesn't retain well, but this stuff is over 11% ABV so I didn't expect much head retention. The smell has a really nice mocha turtle brownie thing going on, with a bunch of cocoa, bourbon, coffee and caramel aromas meshing together very nicely. The flavor is also quite good, with a big cocoa presence upfront, followed by espresso, vanilla, bourbon, caramel and burnt bread. The mouthfeel is full and thick, but not sludgy. Carbonation is appropriately minimal, and drinkability is remarkable considering the style and ABV. An unforgettable stout, very complex and extremely delicious, lives up to the hype.

03-22-2010 03:22:04 | More by silver0rlead
mishuggah

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. From the 2010 bottling.

A: Pours a deep, dark brownish black with a 1/4" tan head that quickly dissipated. This is what any great stout should look like.

S: Sweet, roasted coffee hits my nose with a slight woody bourbon aroma rounding it out.

T: Big, bitter roasted coffee flavor dominates as it did with the smell. I thought it would be a bit sweeter from smell, though. The bourbon seems to be a little bit too far in the background for my liking.

M: The body is definitely a bit lighter than I expected. I am a bit let down in this area and would prefer something a bit heartier. That said, it's quite smooth.

D: Extremely drinkable! I could put a few of these down in a sitting. Too bad that they are not more readily available.

Overall, I was expecting a little bit more from this beer. For better or worse, I compared this to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. While being much more drinkable, I have to say that Goose Island has the ultimate upper hand in this match.

03-21-2010 22:01:23 | More by mishuggah
hz23hz23

3.1/5  rDev -33%

This is my first review for Beeradvocate. I've been in the booze biz for about 7 years now. I am currently a wine consultant but, I have several years of beer tasting experience. I guess that I have tried well over 100 beers, not including macro brews. The hype in the beer world is no different than the hype in the wine world so, I have to rip on this fairly overrated beer:

A: pours a slightly oily black stew with no head.

S: smells like mesquite wood, fresh ground coffee and dark chocolate. No bourbon aromas to be found.

T: Bitter sweet espresso shot cold. Long finish. Hate to say it but, it tastes just like a can of Starbucks Double Shot Espresso with less sugar and no cream. Not as boozy as a Bourbon County Stout as I thought it would be. Where's the bourbon?

M: Not as cloying as I thought it would be. Palate is on the medium body side and dryer than I thought it would be which is good.

D: One in the morning or one at night. Good with smoked cheese.

Both beer and movies have their "fan boys" (you know, the kind that love eye candy movies like The Matrix and Star Wars and will give movies like that a high rating simply because they are supposed to like it), and this beer will be praised by biased drinkers and will try to tell you it is the best thing ever. I disagree, this is truly an overrated beer but, it's not bad. For the price, Yeti and Storm King are a much better value and you don't have to wait for them to be released.

03-21-2010 14:57:03 | More by hz23hz23
Vonerichs

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%

I was cautious with this one because of the hype that surrounds the hard to find limited releases. After tasting it, there's no doubt in my mind that it deserves all the praise.

Typical appearance for a top notch stout. Black, thick, good cinnamon colored head.

Smell...mmm. Tons of coffee, molasses, and of course, bourbon. There's a nice touch of vanilla and charred oak. One thing that sets this apart from a lot of the other bourbon barrel aged stouts is the definitive presence of coffee. It almost surpasses the bourbon.

Hands down the best bourbon barrel aged beer I've had. There's a lot to be said about how smooth and mellow the bourbon is, while still being vivid. You get all the classic notes of vanilla and wood without any of the astringency that usually tags along. The coffee again is a major player and it's dark roast and fresh. The aftertaste is sweet and is somewhere between brown sugar and maple syrup.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. The alcohol is modest considering the abv and fact that it's aged in bourbon.

This is surprisingly smooth for being aged in bourbon barrels. I really enjoy barrel aged stouts, with it being a current trend, and this one does it the best. I have a hometown alliegance to GI BCS, but must say that this passed it on my list. The two things that separate this from the pack is the unique coffee angle and keeping the bourbon flavor without the burn.

03-21-2010 03:26:35 | More by Vonerichs
Halcyondays

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

From a 12 oz. bottle, the legendary Kentucky Breakfast Stout, I've been on its trail for 3+ years and I finally get to try it,

A: Pours a dark brown, light brown head, similar to the CBS.

S: Coffee for sure, but a nice amount of dark chocolate comes as well. Complex and interesting.

T: Dark chocolate and mocha are heavy on this initially. The finish is beautiful with notes of caramel, sweet coffee, cream and brown sugar. Great flavour.

M: Just smooth and elegant, creamy, it's great.

D: Founders blows me away again. While not as full and robust as CBS, this is arguably more complex and shows the great benefit coffee can bring to a beer, I love it.

03-21-2010 02:56:03 | More by Halcyondays
lllarzzz

4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours like used motor oil. This stout is incredibly thick... it even leaves solidifying residue on mouth of the glass as you drink it. Light cannot penetrate a glass of this at all.

S - Founders nailed it with this one. The bourbon aroma dominates, but coffee and cocoa take away the edge and leave a truly fantastic smell.

T - Wow. Each sip is like a great journey. The first tongue contact reveals a sweet, mildly fruity character. Then a wonderful bourbon flavor comes through... balanced and woody, not overpowering. After the bourbon fades, a chocolate flavor is revealed, with the tail becoming darker and slightly bitter. This is definitely of the best stouts I've ever had.

M - Wonderfully creamy and thick... it coats your tongue and mouth without any "grittiness".

D - Perhaps this is the weak point of this excellent beer. The taste is wonderful, complex and powerful, but it simply will not go away. The bourbon and chocolate resonate forever... simply robbing you of an insatiable desire for the next sip (but perhaps I'm being a bit critical considering the 11.2% ABV).

Overall: This is a really, really nice imperial stout. It has an incredible taste... but it's a bit extreme and not an "easy to drink". But considering the price, ABV, and limited availability, you're probably going to sip this slowly and infrequently... and that's how an intricate beer like this can be really enjoyed.

03-21-2010 02:53:51 | More by lllarzzz
fastsrt

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

poured 12 ounce bottle in snifter

A: black, thin head,

S: lots going here bourbon, wood,vanilla booze, coffee

T bourbon, coffee, wood, this one is good but still a bit rough around the edges I think it needs some time, still was a real treat. I will see how time affects this one, I think a few more months will do it justice.

M: thick and rich, real smooth, full body, the mouth feel does not get better than this.

D: well this review is on the last bottle of the four pack, so i drank the whole thing, luckily i have 2 four bangers left.

03-21-2010 01:10:28 | More by fastsrt
ghostee

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle, 2010 vintage, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a pitch black with virtually no head. Lets no light through, this stuff is black like the Abyss. Seeing this darkness filling my glass made me happy.

Smells of coffee, caramel, and sugar.

The taste is fantastic. It's very smooth, and the alcohol is well hidden. Only a slight hint of booziness to the taste. Taste follows the smell, with the coffee, caramel, and sugar, as well as dark chocolate and vanilla. A bit of bitterness, but it is a very smooth and creamy brew overall.

Mouthfeel is heavy, thick, and creamy. Feels substantial. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is good, perhaps too good. I could have a couple of a these, but given how strong they are, I'd rather appreciate a single bottle in a sitting.

Verdict: Amazing

This was my first KBS, and hopefully will not be my last.

03-20-2010 23:36:27 | More by ghostee
Lerxst

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Much thanks to sjccmd for this one.

2009 vintage poured into a tulip

A-Black as night. A moderate pour produced a thin mocha colored head that receded into a ring. Looks good.

S-A great roasted coffee scent hits me right off followed up by definitive chocolate notes, bourbon and some vanilla. Smells great.

T-A nice bourbon flavor hits first but doesn't overwhelm, followed up by sweet vanilla, roasted coffee, chocolate and a wonderful earthy/woody flavor. Well balanced, these flavors all represent and really intermingle nicely with each other. Simply put, this is exceptional.

M-Viscous, full bodied, coats the palate well, creamy with a carb level that is just right.

D-Its really drinkable for a big beer. Many of these would certainly be doable, if I don't end up falling off my chair ;)

03-20-2010 23:35:30 | More by Lerxst
jjshowal

Indiana

Poured from a growler into a Balloon Goblet.

This is simply one of the most enjoyable and best beer experiences I have ever had. I was with my older brother on a cool spring night in March on the outskirts of Cincinnati.

I won't even go into the specifics of each aspect of the beer, but I will say this is the only imperial stout that I have experienced three wonderfully distinct and vivid flavors in a row.

As soon as the extremely thick, black, syrupy consistency beer pours into the glass you are hit with an unforgettable aroma that is complemented by the perfect amount of carbonation for an imperial stout. The thick, amber-colored foamy head remains through the drink followed by a beautiful lacing.

When it hits your tongue, the drinker experiences a creamy chocolate taste that is infused with hints of vanilla. While in the mouth, a deep and rich coffee flavor erupts that is very powerful, yet very drinkable. The finish is a distinct flavor of aged oak and bourbon that is bitter and strong without being overwhelming. An incredibly soothing and warming experience. After being refrigerated overnight, we let the growler sit out for about a half hour or so drinking it at about 50 degrees.

Founders is known for making extreme beers and stouts and the Kentucky breakfast is no exception. Simply put, this beer will kick your ASS! I do not recommend this as a session beer. One is all you need to enjoy. After finishing the beer, I lit up a Makers Mark soaked Cigar that was an excellent cap to probably the best beer I have ever had.

Serving type: growler

03-20-2010 22:54:00 | More by jjshowal
STLbeerwriter

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Just when I was growing weary of bourbon-barrel-aged beers, this one crosses my palate and I am enamored again.

A: Dark and opaque with a layer of creamy tan head that leaves ample lacing.

S: Coffee and chocolate notes familiar to Breakfast Stout fans, then vanilla and woodsy bourbon but not too much alcohol.

T: First, more coffee and chocolate. Then, a layer of bourbon blanketed by roasty and creamy vanilla. A touch of bourbon peat on the finish, followed up by more chocolate and coffee.

M: Lovely.

D: A well-hidden 11.2 percent. It's hard to stop at one but an easy candidate for cellaring.

03-20-2010 22:43:01 | More by STLbeerwriter
betterbgood

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%

First of all this is the best imperial stout ever, that i tasted, but to excuse a few i know the same ingredients is not used. so i won't compare the stouts i had to this one, i digress, let me begin beer lovers.

the frothy head of chocolate milk, no light threw this one, not black but dark chocolate.
I poured this review in a Westmalle trappiest chalice. i wanted it to breath.

i smell the infusion of bourbon all the coffee and chocolate, i like a beer that is infused very well, and i think that the chocolate and coffee is what gives this stout balance from the aging in the barrels, for example, ive tasted hoppin frog boris , old yeti oak age beers and you taste the pronounced flavor of the whiskey etc.

the taste is creamy of sorts and that's what i like in stout to be thick.

And the drinkability is forever as long as your not driving and eat of course and take your time

CHEERS! FOREVER YOUNG

03-20-2010 22:09:41 | More by betterbgood
ChadQuest

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh no joke this is a 5 for visual. this is almost as much fun to watch as cirque de soleil, and i would support a photograph being placed in the american art society. Pours a viscous black motor oil with a Chocolate Milk colored head that is so thick itself that it mounds up in the center and stays like a black mountain. this head stays forever but leaves a wake of lacing as it departs.

There is some bourbon in the aroma but not an insane amount like BCS, the coffee is supportive in whispers, but the chocolate really stands out here.

There is great big smooth vanilla and chocolate flavors twisting around, with those roasty and coffee flavors coming in more on the finish. the bourbon... well the bourbon is sneaking in from the backdoor and making its mark, but while alcohol hotness is very subtle for a 11.2% beer,it is faintly disernable and mostly gives background notes. Bella.

Smooth,Thick, oily, palette coating, heavy bodied. heavy hitter. Smooth. light carbination.

The smoothness and light carbination give this so much drinkability. the alcohol is the only concern at all. I don't see a point of getting tired of the flavors of this one. Jeez, just the visual from the initial pour alone makes me want to crack another.

Bella. this is a fantastic beer. i'm very satisfied i got as much as i did.

03-20-2010 06:11:14 | More by ChadQuest
WYVYRN527

4.63/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: This beer pours pitch black, with a thin brown head that settles quickly. A thin film is left on the surface, and it produces legs more than lacing, almost like wine.

S: The nose of this brew is not as strong as I would expect. There is a lot of coffee, with subtle hints of vanilla, coconut, and toasted oak. Alcohol is also present on the nose.

T: Coffee is present at first, with wonderful hints of chocolate, vanilla, coconut, dark fruits and oak. Hops don't show much here, as the bitterness comes most likely from the coffee. KBS isn't as sweet as other brews of this style. The finish is bitter, and the alcohol lends a nice warming touch.

M: This stuff has the consistency of used motor oil. Viscous, chewy, and very big. The finish is silky as ever and lasts for eons.

D: This beer, despite how big it is, is actually very easy to drink. It will be interesting to see what this tastes like after some cellar time. There isn't a bad beer yet that I have had from Founders, and this one is truly the crown jewel. Hands down, the best Michigan beer out there.

03-20-2010 04:45:24 | More by WYVYRN527
stoutfiend27

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%

2010 12oz bottle served chilled into a brooklyn snifter..

a-pitch black....tiny espresso colored head...did not last long at all..some espresso colored cheesecake swirl on top..a tight collar around the edges...

s-big bittersweet chocolate notes up front..the bourbon steps up before the oak and vanilla fade in...lots of coffee in the background and enough roast and graininess to make this a beer

t-lots of bitter coffee up front...the vanilla and oak make lots of head way before the bourbon rushes in...the hop sting is there enough to let you know its supporting this one...the bitter coffee follows suit and then some sweet chocolate...finishes on a bourbony oaky bitter dry note..

m-as thick as thick gets i think..at least in my experience...the lack of carbonation or very little presence of depending on how you look at it are perfect...the chewiness and oily mouthfeel are spot on...perfect imo

d-dangerous..the abv is so hidden except at the very end its scary....the taste and overall package make you want more the price tag makes this one special

overall again it lives up to the hype...i think this years is a better package than last..a little more refined kind of like backwoods bastard this year vs last...i dont know how founders will top this next year..top notch

03-20-2010 02:04:00 | More by stoutfiend27
masterhomebrewer

A = Crazy dark black. About as black and opaque a beer as I've ever seen. One-centimeter, brown head forms slowly and lingers.

S = I am very pleasantly surprised to catch bourbon straight-away with the initial smell. Much more so than the 2009 version, which lacked in both bourbon and coffee charachteristics. Fabulous, beautiful array of bourbon, coffee, chocolate, dark fruits and roasted malt.

T = A lot like the smell. Bourbon, tons of malt (especially Special B), coffee, roast all work in unison to create a fantastic tasting experience.

M = Really thick and luscious, coating the entire surface of the tongue and palate -- just as I like my imperial stouts to be. Smooth and warm light carbonation that works at bringing out all complex aspects of the beer.

D = The easiest drinking 11.2--percent I've ever had. Just fantastic and delicious, and deadly drinkable. This is a young beer at this point, and I can't even imagine how it well it might age out. Seek and destroy this one.

03-20-2010 01:39:06 | More by masterhomebrewer
hardy008

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours as dark a black as any beer I have seen. Has a nice dark tan head about one finger high, with decent retention. I could smell the Bourbon as soon as I opened the bottle, what a great smell it is. In addition to Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, oak, and vanilla is also present in the smell. This should be real good.

The taste is fantastic. Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, oak, and some roasted malt all blend together perfectly. There is a little alcohol heat, but much less than I thought there would be. With some age, this should be even more incredible, if that is possible.

Feels medium to full bodied with low carbonation, which is proper for this beer. Very smooth and creamy. Very drinkable. I am glad I was able to pick up several more bottles of this.

03-20-2010 01:11:21 | More by hardy008