Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,154
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
ktrillionaire

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to Grynder33 for hooking me up with this beyond-delicious brew.

I am frequently at a loss for words when confronted with a beer of this magnitude and pedigree. This is no exception.

G - Delirium tulip

A - Blacker than my dog, the Piggy. And she is really super black. And it looks as demonic and menacing as her too. Except she has a head, and it doesn't. Furthering the inane comparison, it is surprisingly nice.

S - It smells of real Irish cream like my Grandparents made from scratch; also of Kahlua, bitter cocoa and seriously good coffee, roasting, not brewed.

T - Dark chocolate covered espresso beans, Kahlua, dark roasted coffee, bitter cocoa, vanilla on the finish. An unbelievable flavor. All stouts in the discussion of the goodness have most or all of the elements and nuances; but this one is amazing in the fusion and confluence of the impressions. This is a flavor that is beyond superb. So worthy of the hype. Oh, and the Bourbon, it is amazing. I've had many a whiskey-aged brew, this is top of the heap for the treatment.

M - Very thick and rich mouthfeel, with a syrupy viscosity which is appropriate and a dry bitter dark roast finish.

D - Breakfast? What about lunch and dinner? Not to mention snacks...

03-26-2010 22:39:23 | More by ktrillionaire
CircusBoy

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours pitch black with very little layer tan head. No real lacing but the thin layer sticks around.

Huge aroma of straight bourbon, could smell it a few feet away from the glass. Also hints of roasted malts.

Taste smacks you in the face with the strong bourbon flavor, yet it's just the right amount. For the big alcohol profile and flavor, this goes down smooth and warm. This is definitely a sipper.

This is the perfect beer when kicking back at night on the couch, but one or two will be the limit.

03-26-2010 18:36:40 | More by CircusBoy
riversidetravlr

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Heard about this one on the forums and was lucky enough to pick up two bottles at WWS.

A- Dark, chocolaty, thick looking beer that pours with a brown head that dissipates away quickly. This is a case where you can judge a book by its cover. This beer *looks* formidable.

S- Initial smell is of bourbon on the top and coffee and dark bitter cocoa on the bottom. The smell of bourbon predominates once you start drinking.

T- Rich thick flavor. Nice blend of the bitter cocoa and coffee bean tastes set up with the sharp sweet bourbon flavors. Finish leaves lingering sharp bourbon taste.

M- Velvety as it rolls around in your mouth after the initial light carbonation fizzes away. This beer feels luxurious.

D- This is an 11.5% beer and it feels it. It's definitely a beer you want to savor while spending the evening sitting in your favorite leather chair thinking about how good life can be.

03-26-2010 00:26:03 | More by riversidetravlr
xanok

Connecticut

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Been waiting a week to pour this guy, since I was sick when I first purchased.
2010 vintage poured into a Stone IRS tulip.

A-Thick pour, as black as you're going to get in color. A finger of tan head that fades surprisingly quickly.

S-Coffee and bourbon dominate the aroma. Coffee almost overpowering. Hints of chocolate and vanilla.

T-Happy to say the coffee wasn't overpowering like it was in the aroma. The bourbon is great here, adds awesome flavor, not hot at all until it hits your throat. Chocolate, caramel, and wood come in nicely. It's not overly complex, just blended and balanced perfectly.

M-Very big body. Carb is medium, great for the style. Great aftertaste as well. Just makes me wanna sip it more.

D-ABV is barely present. Big body, but still smooth. It's a sipper, but a fast one.

I'm not a huge fan of coffee in my beer, but this one hits the spot. It's so perfectly crafted, how could I not love it?

03-25-2010 23:44:22 | More by xanok
Vixie

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep black, no light getting through this at all. Forms a tan head that is not quite an inch thick, which reduces down to some nice lacing.

There's a lot going on in the smell. Coffee seems to be the main scent here, but there is also chocolate and vanilla, can also smell the alcohol.

This is one complex beer. There's coffee, there's chocolate, there's vanilla. There's flavors I can't readily identify, likely a lot is the bourbon, but since I am not familiar with that taste, I can only assume that is. Nice warming at the finish.

The feel is good and solid, just what I expected. This is one solid, serious beer.

Considering the strength, this is a very drinkable beer. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 5 is the bitterness in the aftertaste. I am not a fan of a lot of bitter flavor, but that is personal preference. Overall this is an amazing beer, layers of flavor, and one of the best I have tasted.

03-25-2010 21:03:18 | More by Vixie
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at the Brickskeller in DC last night.

Founders makes some impressive looking stouts and this is no exception. Jet black with a dense, thick, dark brown head with great retention and lacing, this is one gorgeous beer. The nose is similar to my experience with this beer out of a bottle, but a little different. There's copious amounts of coffee and chocolate, with plenty of roasted malt, but there's also a more pronounced bourbon character, with a pleasant, welcome booziness and some vanilla. Caramel character is low. The palate is quite the whopper. Big coffee and chocolate up front with plenty of roasted malt bitterness. The coffee is big, with plenty of espresso character, and coupled with the medium-full body, it just feels like one. Bourbon is quite prominent as well, with heat and vanilla present. Bitter chocolate and coffee are present on the finish, along with a boozy heat. Pretty solid stuff, I drank about 20oz of it and could have gone for another glass.

03-25-2010 15:54:38 | More by DefenCorps
atremains

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

2010
Pours out one of the darkest beers I've seen lately. Dark fudge color 2 finger head. This thing is unbreakable. Great retention, great lacing. Amazing looking beer.

The smell could overall be a bit stronger. You can really get an idea for the whiskey here. Other things I can pick up off the bat are chocolate, toasted malt, and vanilla.

The chocolate is abundant in the taste. Probably my favorite aspect of this beer. Another point of interest is the vanilla. From what I've been told, last years KBS was different in that it didn't have vanilla. Toasted malts, cocoa, bourbon, feint hops; the two strongest elements are the whiskey and the chocolate.

The mouthfeel is also spot on. Very rich. Full-bodied, wonderful creaminess. There is some heat from the alcohol, it might be easy to consider this too hot. I'm going to wait quite a while before I drink anymore of these

This beer is excellent, but the price is off-putting. I may enjoy this extremely, but there are many other beers for much less that I also enjoy extremely. I've seen some wallets pillaged for 14 dollars a bottle at the Dirty Truth in Northampton. The price and the hype don't make this beer any better than it is, which is good to keep in mind.

03-25-2010 06:32:55 | More by atremains
RJay

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - Black with no light able to penetrate through. There was a small amount of tan head that settled down to just surrounding the edge of the glass within a minute.

Aroma - Initially I was hit with coffee and then sweet bourbon, chocolate, and some vanilla notes. In away it kind of reminds me of an Irish cream.

Taste - Well balanced, sweet and bitter with the taste of bourbon, warm alcohol, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee are also present here.

Mouth Feel - Smooth and creamy! Coats the mouth nicely and has the perfect amount of carbonization.

Drinkability - I would love to session this stuff but it is a tad expensive (but worth it) and it may be hard to walk after a few. This is something to save for special occasions, excellent beer!

03-25-2010 02:55:57 | More by RJay
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

2010 KBS

Big black body with a thin tan head that slowly reduces to a ring of foam around the glass. Light lacing is left behind.

A decent amount of bourbon on the nose, but not overpowering. The barrel wood comes through quite a bit, along with some well roasted coffee beans and dark rich malts. Some chocolate is present as well. One of the better bourbon stout aromas I've come across.

Bourbon soaked wood and roasted coffee roll across the tongue on the first sip. Lots of the barrel coming through, but the bourbon is actually much more toned down than I would have thought. Very well balanced. A touch of vanilla and some faint dark fruits (most likely from the bourbon). A little bit of astringency from the coffee, but evened out by a subtle chocolate presence. Rich and complex. The flavor is excellent and the bourbon is integrated well.

A smooth, creamy body adds points to the mouthfeel. Carbonation is about right. Slight warming from the alcohol and a bit of harshness from the wood and coffee beans.

One bottle is the perfect serving size. This is definitely a sipper, but quite drinkable for the style. The ABV is pretty well masked and the complexity and richness of the flavor make this very enjoyable to drink.

Overall, this is probably one of the best, if not the best bourbon stouts I have had. Instead of knocking you over the head with bourbon, Founders does a really great job of balancing the barrel aging with the rest of the flavor profile. Lots of stuff going on with this one. This beer lives up to the hype and is worth the price. It will be hard to resist the other three I'm trying to age in my cellar. Once again, great job Founders!

03-24-2010 23:15:17 | More by sisuspeed
zeff80

Missouri

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 version into a goblet

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a one finger, bubbly, caramel-colored head of foam. It left thin rings of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of coffee, chocolate and bourbon. These three aromas were all very balanced, none overpowered the others. There were very mild notes of vanilla and toffee.

T - Some boozy, bourbon flavors with dark roasted coffee flavors. Nice chocolate, caramel and toffee flavors, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied beer with some warm alcohol heat.

D - First of all, it's delicious and fairly easy drinking considering its potency.

03-24-2010 22:02:07 | More by zeff80
BearsOnAcid

3.33/5  rDev -28.1%

Decided to review this beer after having a 2009 next to a 2010 last night. I'll use the fresh one as the review but will leave some extra notes.

Beer pours out black with a caramel head. Nose is soaked with bourbon and chocolate. KBS holds a dark roasted aroma. But it's not overpowering.

This years batch seems a little less carbonated than last years, making it richer and smoother on the palate. Oak, bourbon, chocolate, and roast malt mix together on your taste buds. Still not very over powering. Bourbon is not as hot as some people say it is. I get more chocolate than anything in this batch.

Extra notes: I want to say that KBS, for me, has always been all over the place in flavor. Some will be heavy on bourbon and some will be heavy on chocolate and then the rest will all fall within that range. I've only actually had a few bottles that were fully balanced. But after I was able to get that rarity/hype factor out of my head I can say that I've never actually been blown away by it. And for a stout that has won so much fame, it's no where near as complex, decadent or robust as something like Bourbon County Stout. It excels in drinkability. It's smooth and silky but doesn't cause any fatigue in your tastebuds.

The 09 vintage, thanks to screw off caps, was awful. It had started oxidizing and tasted like wet cardboard and chalk. The nose was even worse. Underneath that, I don't feel like this is a beer to even bother aging. All the things that make this beer good are right there in the beginning and then after a year they start to fade and leave a pretty boring BA stout.

Drink these fresh people.

03-24-2010 20:48:44 | More by BearsOnAcid
WonderfulSam

Washington

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

There are more sophisticated reviewers than I (see Buckeye Nation, for example). So allow me to say simply this: I was in DC for business, went to Brickskeller, and happened to walk in when they were changing out taps. They had one keg of this stuff. I can't get it at home so I jumped on it.

Quite simply:

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING BEERS I HAVE HAD. I FELT HONORED TO DRINK IT.

Seriously. It was that good. Smooth. Complex. Drinkable. A piece of art.

03-24-2010 08:01:30 | More by WonderfulSam
kegger22

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Finally, the elusive Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, well worth the wait.

KBS poured a very, very dark, opaque brown with a half inch darkly tanned head the quickly faded to a slim, but elegant collar.

The aroma was black coffee, rich dark chocolate and, I swear, light peanut butter; in that order.

The taste was... hold on, I expected KBS to be over rated, and I expected to have a home state bias. It wasn't! And, I didn't. It was so good, I had to crack open a second one, and it was warm, no matter. Roasted coffee, chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and yes, oh yes, alcohol. I do want to taste some hot alcohol in my bourbon barrel aged beers, or else why bother. KBS had IT.

Mouth feel was full bodied, oily and perfectly (modestly) carbonated.

Drinkability, this is my second one, I would love another. ABV be damned.

OK, call me a homer, but this is good shit. Make this a year-rounder Founders! On a side note; this makes me want to try another of my cellared Expedition stouts and do a re-rate.

03-24-2010 04:36:40 | More by kegger22
endincolorado

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Presented in one of Founders' signature short, brown bottles with a very cool label featuring a yellowed-parchment look and western-style font.

Pours thick and black as sin, with a very dark tan head that rises a moment after the pour and settles slowly after into the viscous fluid beneath. When this beer is sloshed around it moves slowly and with a purpose. Great dark sheets of lace cling all around the sides of my snifter.

The aroma is sweet and woody with dark fruit and black coffee. The hint of bourbon in the nose takes me back to touring the inside of Maker's Mark distillery near Bardstown in Kentucky and the annual Bourbon Festival for which I make the trip down.

The flavor of this beer cannot be topped. The rich and full, syrupy texture delivers sweet roastiness, smoke, wood, a healthy booziness, fruit, coffee, and chocolate, all in a perfectly harmonious medley.

I could drink this until my vision blurs and the world goes dark around me. Realistically, one ought not to do this, and the price tag would prevent any frugal man from indulging in more than one per sitting. If I had to choose my last meal this beer would help wash it down.

03-24-2010 03:53:29 | More by endincolorado
Beerinabelle

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

This is one of my go-to favorite stouts, so it is fitting that it is my first review. KBS 2010!

The color of this nearly perfect looking beer is dark brown/black with very little transparency. Late rising bubbles appear in a light mocha color, and rise to less than half a finger high. Some bubbles remain around the edge of my glass as I watch the enticing foam dissipate. A small ring of lacing sticks to the sides of my pint shaped taster glass.

It is still too cold from the fridge, so I wrap my hands around the glass to warm it slightly. The smell overflows with bourbon, fresh brewed coffee, vanilla and some oak.
I really hope that the claims are true and I can use this any time I am in distress! ;) It does have that slight medicinal scent.

Finally!! I get to drink it. Writing reviews is a bit of a tease. mmm...it is bit more roasty and bitter then I remember. I love the hint of vanilla sweetness and the perfect balance of bourbon/whiskey. The almost overpowering mouthful of coffee excites the senses, and I can't stop drinking it. Is it really 11.2%?! Not hot...even though this batch came out very recently. Dangerously delicious?

Just the right amount of carbonation tickles my tongue, while the creamy body swirls around my mouth leaving a satisfyingly smooth feeling. It is intoxicating, literally and sensor(ily). I really could have way too many of these!

The drink-ability falters when one contemplates the 11.2%...and how easy it would be to get very silly! This could be very dangerous if I wasn't in the privacy of my own home.

Overall, a fantastically flavored concoction destined to seduce my senses!

03-24-2010 02:45:32 | More by Beerinabelle
cnally

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

I went to a place (I won't say which place it was) but they sell alcohol for a living (legally). I asked, "Do you have anything special or new in the back that isn't on the shelves?" Guess what I got. Two freaking KBS!!! I don't know if I have ever had a better trip to a beer store. Don't know if I ever will again.

The appearance is an abyss of blackness, with a mocha creamy head that develops with difficulty but has some staying power. Totally opaque.

The aroma is deeply burnt and has a large presence of bourbon and vanilla. Oaky nose and really sublime.

The alcohol hits you immediately in the flavor, and does deliver a constant burn throughout. Massive burnt malt flavorings, but you also can grab hold of the vanilla and the bourbon, especially in the finish. Complex and rich in its latent bitterness. Amazing.

The feel is creamy and thick but far from overdone and not sticky.

What cliches haven't been mentioned? Who couldn't love this beer? This is the perfect example of a beer living up to the hype, and the mythology surrounding it. Just beautiful, and the finest beer I have ever drank.

03-24-2010 01:56:53 | More by cnally
muttyd

4.22/5  rDev -8.9%

2010 Bottle. Picked up quite a few of these this year, so I'm happy about that.

A: Jet black pour with foamy tan head. Nice lacing.

S: Coffee, bourbon, Kahlua, vanilla. Not much in the nose in terms of malt.

T: Very sweet. Loads of bourbon/vanilla. Chocolate malts, hops, and coffee mix very well. No burn/alcohol present in the 2010 bottle.

M: Very thick and creamy. Sticky on the palate and coats the mouth.

D: Very good drinkability. Can't really enjoy more than 1 due to alcohol and sweetness, but still very good.

03-24-2010 00:49:30 | More by muttyd
BillyBoysPie

Kentucky

Bottle into a snifter.

Pours an opaque black with an inch of dense milky/coffee foam head. Dissipates into a small cloud on the surface with significant lacing.

Rich smell - loaded with bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Lost of toast from the oak in the nose, and a touch of heat. I don't get an overwhelming heat from this, which seems to be a point of contention this year (and in general...). I'd say this - to each their own, but I don't see it out of style. It's well balanced, but the nose doesn't suggest more than a year two of aging. Plenty of depth at the moment: but age could be good.

Very deep and dense on the tongue. Creamy, but not sticky. Very palatable. Coffee and bitter cocoa dominate the flavor - with enough other flavors floating over. Some of the milk flavors are present, but the sweet honey flavors from the bourbon are light. No florals, but a touch of heat from the bourbon. Lots of toasty flavors come into play to keep the warmth in check. Warms well - a hint of metallic stuff on the end.

Clearly, unless someone is in the mood to kill their liver and brain (not to mention their wallet), don't have a bunch in one night. I'll be aging one or two. I can see some complexity coming out and it would be good, but if you like it now, there's not a reason not to drink it if you've got more than one bottle.

03-24-2010 00:33:19 | More by BillyBoysPie
tippebrewcrew2

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev 0%

I struggle to find the better beer. I can't decide as to which is my favorite stout. There are too many variables involved. This is what I have decided. I love this beer. Sometimes you have to put away the note pad and sit back, relax, and enjoy. This is one of those beers that will make you do that. I can't scribble enough on my pad to even remotely come close to doing this beer justice. Pours black chocolate with Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, and alcohol on the nose. 100% velvet with the bourbon coming through just enough and then slowly fades back into a bitter chocolate and soothed over with malt sweetness. I can't say enough and I do not have the skills to properly do this beer justice. This is an extremely complex beer. It is above me.

03-23-2010 05:59:48 | More by tippebrewcrew2
TheArse

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle poured into a goblet. This is a fantastic beer. Very dark beer with a this tan head. You have to force pour it to get a good amount of carbonation release. The taste is coffee first, chocolate second, with bourbon throughout. I think that as the beer warms, the coffee fades and the chocolate becomes more prominent. The alcohol is present throughout. This is a fantastic beer! Is it my favorite imperial stout? I'm not sure, but this beer deserves all the credit it gets!

03-23-2010 02:49:46 | More by TheArse
tjinohio

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a 22 oz wine glass
55 degrees

Appearance: Black coffee in color, almost viscous looking. A slight tawny head that dissipates quickly in keeping with the high alcohol content

Smell: The aroma is incredible. The deep wonderful aroma of creamy chocolate with the undertones of alcohol and coffee. The smell only intensifies as the stout warms. Every time I put it to my nose I found myself saying, "Wow!" I just love the bouquet of this beer.

Taste: Warm, warm chocolate, like a spiked hot cocoa, yet not sweet. Like a 70% Lindt chocolate cordial. It warms all the way down and should definitely be drunk slowly and deliberately. The aftertaste is where you get the coffee, like the best arabica coffee beans.

Mouthfeel: Warm, tingling, yet creamy. You want to enjoy this beer in your mouth before swallowing.

Drinkability: Wow. Are you kidding? This is one awesome beer. Of course, with it's high abv one is the limit. Besides, you want to stretch out this four pack as looong as possible.

03-23-2010 01:28:38 | More by tjinohio
Tone

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of coffee, roasted malt, sweet malt, alcohol, and slight hop. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a strong bitterness from the roasted malts. Tastes of strong coffee, strong alcohol, bourbon/wood, and roasted malt. Overall, great aroma, great blend, good body, but appearance was lacking.

03-22-2010 22:19:51 | More by Tone
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Acquired 2 bottles from table and vine at a hefty price of 8 dollars a bottle. 12oz 2010 KBS.

A - Oil spill black body with a brown head that really has come balls to it.

S - Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, maple syrup, vanilla... wow. Every component stands on it's own and really invigorates the senses.

T - Coffee and bourbon up front. A maple syrup chocolate vanilla finish. I grouped them together but each flavor really stand out just like in the smell. When rating some stouts I am not exactly sure about certain flavors I'm getting. With these stout each component is so pronounced and exciting.

M - Thick full body. So smooth and creamy. I could sip on this and let it swirl around my palate all day. The alcohol is completely hidden.

D - I split this one with soupedup and put mine in a tulip. I went back and fourth on it - smell, sniff, smell sniff, ect. I tried to make it last but had a hard time doing so.

No hype here. This is an amazing stout. My new favorite in fact. Too bad I have to cellar my last one for another year before I can have it.

03-22-2010 20:32:05 | More by DNICE555
rebis1bear

4.88/5  rDev +5.4%

I was worried about this beer due to the hype. Then all I heard about was the price. thankfully I am in a state that this is avaiable in and at 17.99 a 4pk, I was alittle worried.

But it was just as good as everyone says.

It poured out nice and thick with almost no head. Smells great, with a coffee chocolate smell. Upon tasting, I get a rich coffe taste up front with slight chocolate hints but the longer it lingers I got a bourbon woody taste (slight cherry flavor?). I more I drank the more I picked but the backround bourbon flavoring.

Over all, it was great and well worth the price

03-22-2010 15:28:49 | More by rebis1bear
silver0rlead

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an impenetrable onyx with a thin brown head that doesn't retain well, but this stuff is over 11% ABV so I didn't expect much head retention. The smell has a really nice mocha turtle brownie thing going on, with a bunch of cocoa, bourbon, coffee and caramel aromas meshing together very nicely. The flavor is also quite good, with a big cocoa presence upfront, followed by espresso, vanilla, bourbon, caramel and burnt bread. The mouthfeel is full and thick, but not sludgy. Carbonation is appropriately minimal, and drinkability is remarkable considering the style and ABV. An unforgettable stout, very complex and extremely delicious, lives up to the hype.

03-22-2010 03:22:04 | More by silver0rlead