Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,390
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hopsbreath was kind enough to hook me up with a 2010 and a 2011 KBS. Cbros also hooked me up with a 2011. I would like to give a huge thanks to both of these top-notch BAs. Thanks, guys!!!
These were drank side-by-side with witchsbrew. My review reflects the 2011. With notes about the 2010 at the end.

Appearance- Black with brown highlights around the edges. Small tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smell- Creamy chocolate and some bourbon. Vanilla to back it up.

Taste- Oh yea! Chocolate, vanilla and a really nice bourbon heat as it goes down. There is also some coffee, but not very much. Small, small taste of coconut as well. Yumo!

Mouthfeel- Chewy and sweet. A little sticky, but in a good way.

Overall- This is a great beer. You don't feel the alcohol till later. Starts out not tasting 11% but catches up to you.

2010- Much more rounded than the 2011. Less bourbon heat and more chocolate and vanilla. Still sticky sweet mouthfeel. Maybe even more so. This was wichsbrew's favorite of the two. I prefered the 2011.

MADhombrewer, Apr 08, 2011

This is one of the most well balanced brews I have ever had. The barrel aging didn't come on too strong like some,probobly because of the strong coffee notes.Would have liked to notice the ABV a bit more though.I will definitely get another from next years batch.I think this tasty treat should be enjoyed fresh because no carecteristics need to mellowed.

leem, Apr 08, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 batch into pint glass

A - Black. Solid black. Thick as can be. Almost no head. Good lacing, somehow.

S - Tons of coffee. Sweet chocolate. Hint of bourbon. Dominated by coffee ground aroma. The coffee aroma is so intense you can smell it across the room, as if someone just put on a fresh pot.

T - Tastes like boozey coffee. A splash of bourbon in a mocha. Chocolate and booze and coffee. So much going on, it is delicious. Finish is allll bourbon. Some charred oak. Finish is so warm and inviting. Tastes like the best whiskey you've had. Also tasted a sip of 2009, and it was markedly better. Let this one age.

M - Quite thick. Needs to be creamier. It is quite wet throughout, with a slightly drier finish. I love how thick it is. Great feel.

O - One of the best. That said I think FBS is a better balanced beer. KBS is almost too much bourbon. I think BCBS does a better job of accentuating the bourbon flavor without losing the best parts of the underlying stout. KBS is a bit too much bourbon for my taste. Even still, it is beyond delicious, especially with some age on it.

greenmonstah, Apr 08, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Pitch black with a thin layer of dark tan head. Fades very quickly leaving no lacing.

S - Smelled coffee from a few feet away after the pour. Upon closer inspection, that's almost all there is to the aroma. Fresh ground coffee beans. Some hints of chocolate, but really not much. No alcohol aroma at all.

T - Tastes like God's vagina. But seriously, bourbon, wow. I could have sworn someone spilled a shot of bourbon in my beer. Coffee is still pretty dominant in the flavor, along with chocolate.

M - Fairly thin for a stout of this ABV. Mouthfeel is slightly watery, but it fits very well with the amazingly present bourbon taste. Finish is slightly wet and sweet with a lingering aftertaste of sweet bourbon with a hint of coffee.

D - Absolutely amazing. Can't taste the alcohol at all. As far as a bourobn beer goes, this is absolutely amazing. The balance between coffee and bourbon is great, but balancing in other stout-like qualities it's lacking. I feel I have to under-rate some of these qualities just based on what an Imperial Stout should be, but as far as a bourbon stout, this is one of, if not, the best.

This was a 2 year aged bottle.

GarrettMD, Apr 08, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

2011 Bottle poured into a Tulep.

About a 1/2 inch head, which dissipated pretty quickly.

Nose - smoky with some wood overtones (oak?)

it actually is pretty light on the tongue. mild carbonation that tingle the tip of the tongue.

has a pretty classic stout aftertaste at first, then hits you w/ the bourbon.

I personally love bourbon, so this is about the best stout I could ever hope to have. It definitely has more of the "bourbon' to it than any other bourbon stout I've had.

jpopejoy, Apr 07, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

I'm phoning in this review in because I love this beer so much I want to get back to it ASAP. Garage door is open at Leon's Full service and we're all enjoying the weather.

A- Beautiful black-brown opaque with a thick caramel head. Lacing is almost solid down the glass as it empties.

S- Chocolate and porter-esque dirt. Or is it more proper to say "earthy"? The chocolate is wonderfully overpowering and is finished off with a whiff of whiskey.

T- Balance: chocolate, bourbon, malt...wow. What really amazes me is how strong the bourbon and chocolate come through without being too sweet or too boozy.

M- Can you use the term "chewy" with beer? If so, this is it. It's thick, but still has an unexpected level of carbonation.

D - I may actually have another, this is so good. Remarkably masked alcohol, and it is just plain delicious. Plus, I have a DD!

kirkmichel, Apr 07, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

2011 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Combine the darkness of bourbon with black coffee and you'd still have something that let more light in than KBS. Absolutely tar black. Pours with a 1" thick dark mocha head that fades quickly but provides excellent lacing.

S: The nose is a perfect blend of bourbon and chocolate. Neither dominates, instead complimenting each other. Also included in the nose are faint notes of roasted malt, and perhaps some dark fruit. This is the most balanced bourbon barrel aged stout I've ever smelled.

T: Again, the bourbon is present, but not overpowering. An excellently blended combination of bourbon, chocolate, hints of vanilla, roasted malt. I've never tasted anything this complex and yet this harmonious. Nothing is out of place, and every sip reveals something new.

M: As viscous as you could hope for. KBS slithers down your throat, hanging on for dear life, letting you savor that amazing flavor for as long as possible. Carbonation is as low as can be without being nonexistent.

O: This is absolutely the best beer I've tasted to date. For being over 11% ABV, there's absolutely none of it in the taste. It's not too bourbon-y for somebody like me who had a bad experience with Jack Daniels in college, but not so light that it doesn't make a difference. And what a difference this makes. I will absolutely buy every bottle I can get my hands on in the future, and probably trade none of it away regardless of the asking price - it's too good to not drink myself.

duffcalifornia, Apr 07, 2011

Sweet. Jesus.

A: Pours a deep oil color, very little head or lacing.

S: Smells of vanilla, slight coffee, and a hint of bourbon

T: Incredibly balanced, bold coffee and chocolate flavor on the front end, smooth transition to a nice oaked vanilla flavor with a slight bourbon/chocolate finish. Incredibly complex and well balanced.

M: Absolutely perfect, not too thick or thin, and doesn't have a ton of bite on the finish. Incredibly smooth.

O: Best beer that I've ever had. The complexity and overall quality of this beer are unmatched.

TallPaul07, Apr 07, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to brees6221 for this one. My first KBS...

2010 bottle poured into a Ballast Point Brewery pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger brown head on a fairly passive pour. Good amount head retention, and lacing to be had here...

S - Coffee, chocolate, and lots of dark roasted malts. No Bourbon to be had through in the scent...

T - Chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts, and a hint of vanilla. Finishes on a roasty bitter note with some coffee lingering. Coffee is definitely the main focus here. Bourbon is lacking big time. Was hoping for more heat in the finish...

M - Nice and thick with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Wondering if maybe age had an averse affect on this one because I don't see what all the hype is about. Way to much roasty/coffee notes, and next to no Bourbon in the taste made this just an above average drink for me. Would like to try a fresh one, but not something I am going to go out of my way to obtain...

Edit:

Had a chance to try a fairly fresh one these thanks to a very generous extra in a recent trade. Thanks Joey!

Coffee is still dominate here, especially as it warms, but the bourbon is much more pronounced. Enjoyed this alot more fresh, and adjusted my ratings to reflect so. Still don't think this lives up to the hype. While it is a solid brew, it is nothing above and beyond. To each their own though.

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Apr 07, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle dated 2/25/11. Got a 4pk at Best Yet in Harlem.

A - Pours black with a mocha colored foamy head about an inch thick. Settles out well with some lacing in my Corsendonk chalice. Just based on appearance this will be great.

S - Strong scents of vanilla, chocolate, toffee, and coffee. No real smell of bourbon, but this is a complex stout that isn't powerful as much as well blended.

T - Yeah, this is as good as advertised. The sweet taste of chocolate malts and carmael give to a bitter yet flavorful coffee. The finish does hit with a bourbon burn, but it really is smooth. Scary how this beer is so drinkable. This is what separates it from the pack IMO. Even Founders BS is not as blended quite as smooth.

M - The way this is so damn drinkable makes it impossible for me to think of how this could be better. No issues giving a 5 here. Doesn't feel heavy, has incredbily complex and varied flavors, and is gentle on the palate for a stout.

O - I tried to be so objective on this beer given the scarcity in New York and the praises KBS gets. It really is a top tier stout and about the best one could hope for. Have it with food, by itself, but share with others. I will cellar a couple to see what age does to the profile.

socon67, Apr 07, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.5%

I am a bit of a rookie, with this being my first review. I have read a lot of KBS reviews and all of them THAT I HAVE READ give this beer it's deserved credit. It is amazing and very satisfying.

This review is from a 2011 bottle. This is my fourth bottle in five weeks. I am trying to pace myself as it calls to me from the refrigerator everyday(not much left). I also chose not to write this review until I was able to pick it apart a little.

A - Always Jet Black when poured. The head is consistently a creamy mocha brown with a light tan tint that dissipates rather quickly but leaves a thin film across the surface throughout your enjoyment of the beer. I pour half to a 1/3 of the bottle at a time and get about 1/8 of an inch of head.

S - The first thing I do is smell the beer 4-5 times before tasting it, it is like beer foreplay and just makes the first taste so much better. Now I do not have a great sniffer, however I smell oak from the barrels, coffee, and bourbon immediately (i love my bourbons), then secondly I can slightly pick up chocolate, vanilla and caramel but I have to really concentrate and take it all in. Either way it smells amazing.

T - I can taste vanilla and chocolate notes throughout. It has a little kick from the bourbon and is comforting and warming on exhale. Now I know this beer is going to mellow out and the flavors are going to develop more over time (about 6 months to a year), but I am impatient as it is so good.

M - Velvety and creamy and smooth as silk is the best way to describe it.

O - I love it. I would have given it 5's across the board if I did not taste 09, 10, and 11 on tap on opening day. I know the taste is going to get better and better if kept well over the course of a year. We will see and try. I am curious how the bourbon will mellow and the other flavors will become more pronounced.

Great job Founders, excellent beer.

nicknameddad, Apr 07, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz 2011 bottle poured into a tulip

Firm pour yields a solid mocha 1 finger head on top of a jet black viscous body

S: Bourbon mixed with dark roasted coffee, this smells wonderful

T: Great boozy bourbon mixed with an excellent coffee stout. There are many layers to this, vanilla, oak, caramel and boubon mix as the beer warms.

M: Thick coating mouthfeel with the right about of thinning from the bourbon.

O: a great treat, would love to have this around more often, I can only hope production increases as the demand for this beer is well deserved, and it is the perfect serving size for this beer.

GuruDel, Apr 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

2010 vintage poured into the trusy ol' shaker (again). Poured a very dark black with no head whatsoever (NOT flat, however). Aroma of coffee and booze. Taste was wonderful: a smooth bourbon (MUCHO better than the '09 vintage), chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and coffee. After being quite disapointed in the '09 vintage I got at DLD '09, this vintage is QUITE tasty.

Schmittymack, Apr 06, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from 2011 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark and black with a small tan head that quickly leaves. No noticeable lacing.

Smell: Very boozy bourbon whiskey scent with chocolate, vanilla and coffee. A hint of wood.

Taste: Strong bourbon and vanilla flavor up front followed by coffee and dark chocolate. Very well balanced and smooth.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very creamy with a bit of warmth from the alcohol.

Overall: An amazing barrel aged brew. Great balance and very smooth. Lives up to the hype.

MattyG85, Apr 06, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked up at 2009 Aged Bottle at Capones Bottle Shop in East Norriton.

This brew poured as black as the night. Allowing no light to penitrate its darkness. It poured with a dark brown, bubbly head. It smells and looks delicious just on the pour. There was a little bit of lacing as the drink is consumed, but not very much.

Its hard to discribe that aromas that I am smelling as I sniff this brew. There is a aromas from all sides, all strong, and yet independant enough I can smell each one. The front has a blast of chocolate malts and vanilla. As the brew sits, the oak and bourbon come together with the alcohol to give this brew that warms you with just its aroma. There is a hint of a dark fruit as well.

As I take my first sip of this brewl, im at lose for words. This brew is amazing. My first taste is of vanilla and malts that just blend together so well. As the brew sat and warmed, there is hops background that moves in, but allows the brew to remain creamy. Then the best part hits, and the there is an amazing flavor of toasted oak that just warms you almost instantly. Again, I have had some amazing brews, this brew has me at a lose for words.

The mouthful on this brew is crazy, its creamy, soft and yet full of life and bold. Its a full bodied brew, that has amazing balance and flavors.

Though some would say the drinkability on this brew be hard because of such a high ABV at 11.2%. But once you get a few sips in you hardly want to put it down. I finished, and wanted another. This was a great, no an amazing brew. Founders has done it again. I will be sure to get my hands on this as much as I can.

mattgreger, Apr 06, 2011

got lucky...asked for a backwoods bastard. kid said it was breakfast stout (i was like score) then he goes. oh wait it's kentucy bfast stout (i jizzed)

a - dark, dark, dark. tan head, nice and fluffy, 2 fingers settled to 1 finger. awesome lacing.

s - boozy, vanilla. chocolate malt

t - little chocolate, big coffee, holy bourbon flavor.

m - nice viscosity, decent carbonation. little bit of heat from the alcohol.

o - this beer lives up to the hype.

PhineasGage, Apr 06, 2011
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

A: KBS pours jet black in color with a small mocha colored head that dissipates immediately leaving a few floating bubbles. Light does not penetrate the beer.

S: Strong hints of bourbon, vanilla, and coffee

T: This is most balanced bourbon oaked beer I have ever had. The first thing I taste is bourbon and vanilla followed by rich dark coffee . The flavors really compliment each other, nothing is overpowering. The aftertaste lingers for quite awhile.. I wish it lasted forever.

M: Very smooth and creamy with a medium body. Carbonation doesn't appear in the head but it's definitely there and perfect for the beer.

tvault, Apr 05, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -34.4%

2011 bottle poured into a Southampton snifter, served at cellar temp.

This beer pours nearly pitch black With a very thin mocha colored head that quickly dissipates. The smell is heavy on the bourbon with hints of vanilla and a hint of coffee, there is also a strong roasted malt character to the nose. The flavor is bourbon and slightly boozy a lot of roasty bitterness too barely a hint of vanilla a little more coffee and no residual sweetness. The mouthfeel is thin and lightly carbonated. Overall I was not as impressed by this beer as I thought i would be, the body was too thin there was no residual sweetness and to me it felt like the bourbon and roasted malts were just butting heads.

rowingbrewer, Apr 05, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

S: Strong hints of bourbon, vanilla, and coffee

D: MOAR

ixodus, Apr 05, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

After driving over 2 hours to track one of these down I was hoping it would live up to the hype, and it did.

Poured a 12oz bottle aggressively into a snifter. Coffee black with almost no head. A swirl creates a thin rust colored head, unique.

Smell and taste are identical, and everything that is promised... coffee, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, oak. I was happy that the oak is a subtle background flavor as I find many of these barrel-aged beers to have overpowering wood notes. Mouthfeel is nice and thick but very smooth. For such an intense brew it really goes down easy with the alcohol nicely masked. KBS does not disappoint, a must try.

MufflnMan, Apr 05, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter glass. Bottled March 2011.
A) Pitch black with a ring of brown head around the edges of the glass. Leaves lots of alcohol feet.
S) Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and coffee. A bit of alcohol in the nose.
T) Coffee is the first flavor that hits and does so mid-mouth. Nice vanilla and bourbon notes on the finish with a lingering mocha aftertaste.
M) Full, thick mouthfeel, really coats the mouth. Leaves a bit of a chalky dryness on the finish.
O) Very good beer but not sure it lives up to the hype. Very nice flavors and wonderful aroma. Very enjoyable. Highly recommended.

goalie33, Apr 05, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Black with a mocha head. No significant lacing.
S - Woah. Chocolate, coffee, sweet toffee, a bit of smoky wood. A good bit of bourbon and a touch of alcohol.
T - Soft chocolate notes followed by a bit of abrasive black coffee and bourbon. I can taste the alcohol a bit (shocking at 11%...hah). A deeper roasted nuttiness as well, with some bitter hop elements coming at me too. Very complex, hard to pick apart the flavors. I liked the first half of the taste, it really flowed. The second half is good too but a bit more jarring as you hit the bourbon and EtOH.
MF - Quite smooth and creamy. I'd like it a touch heavier and also there is definitely a bit of ethanol burn, and I am not a fan of that.
O - This is definitely an excellent beer but there are things that could be improved.

mountsnow1010, Apr 05, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

My first KBS. and Wow
A - Dark with minimal head. Oily texture look.
S - Coffee, with a hint of chocolate, sharp bourbon with a underlying punch in the face alcohol smell.
T - Coffee with a bourbon taste. Nice hint of sweetness of chocolate
M - Super smooth and satisfying. Went down very easy
O - Though you can smell alcohol the taste of it was absent. It went down super smooth and would love to have another one. Definitely one of my top favorite depending on the season and time. Hit the spot just right

bmxer87, Apr 05, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5%

Serving: Out of a bottle into a Rastal Snifter.

A: The black hole of beer, light cannot escape it. Very minimal jello pudding skin of a head.

S: Coffee, licorice, chocolate, hint of bourbon sweetness. Not surprisingly a whiff of the empty bottle brings on the bourbon, big time.

T: Deeply roasted coffee malt, dark chocolate flavor, catch some cocoa bitterness toward the end. The alcohol is buried deep in the flavor profile, but when it gets there you get the woodly bourbon. Nearly reminds me of a "Black Russian" cocktail.

M: Delivers a creamy entrance, a little waxy which melts away. Finishes thin, but a nice almost sour bitterness lingers. Large moutfulls go down smooth, small sips bring out the alcohol.

O: If you can drink one stout a year, this would be the one. A lot of flavors here, and so much character. As the bottle warns "Is good for everything a stout ought to be good for".
It's a lot to handle, a thimble would be enough for an evening. Enjoy Responsibly.

BrewIrish98, Apr 05, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

2011 vintage 12 oz bottle, poured into a Southampton Imperial Russian Stout release day snifter. Picked this up today and drinking it as fresh as I possibly could. Being a fan of the two other Founders' imperial stouts I've had (the IRS and Breakfast stout), I'm excited to try this one.

Look: a hard pour yields a single finger of milk chocolate colored foam with decent retention, eventually leading to a thin layer of milk chocolate bubbles at the top. As for lacing, a few bubbles of lacing stick but for the most part there's nothing but a bit of alcohol staining. The body is quite black with no highlights.

Smell: bourbon oak barrel aromas dominate, with hints of vanilla, some smokiness, alcohol, and chocolate. One of the best smelling imperial stouts I've found so far.

Taste: oaky, smoky bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, some coffee bean, and roasted grain. Once it is room temperature, the bourbon comes out much more prominently with a bit of brown sugar or molasses.

Feel: medium bodied, maybe a little thinner than I would like a stout of this size to be, and this is probably the only downfall of this beer. Fairly smooth, a little creamy, with some alcohol burn, and nicely carbonated at first and ends up a little flat before I can finish.

Drinkability: a bit of a sipper, but that's only because I want to be able to savor it as best as I can.

Overall: great beer that lived up to the hype. This is one of the best barrel aged beers I've had. It doesn't overdo the bourbon and leaves enough room for the other flavors to come out. I'm definitely very glad that I had a chance to try this and will hope to score some every year that it comes out. Founders, thanks for coming to New York. You've made my life that much better. Canadian Breakfast Stout, here I come! Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Apr 04, 2011