Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,147
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a dark black with brownish head and thick lacing on the glass.

The smell is a bit toasty at first, with some nice chocolate flavor that jumps out front. Some nice bourbon flavor kicks at the aroma and really pushes at the nose.

The taste is heavy bourbon stout flavor with some roasty flavor that feels like a nice biscuit flavor that was burnt in the toaster.

The feel of this beer is a bit heavy for a beer I expected to have some mellow flavor but was kicked hard. A bit of a heavy feel going down but a great tasting beer.

02-21-2010 05:46:42 | More by Duhast500
RedBrewer83

Oregon

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Aggressively poured into snifter...

A: Pours a viscous pitch black with no head, only a thin foam that forms and then vanishes into a thin ring around the edge.

S: Big aroma of bourbon, molasses, brown sugar, bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee, faint grassy hops, raisiny dark fruit. Very complex and well balanced.

T: I give this beer a perfect 5 on taste because of the balance of the flavors. All the flavors found in the nose but they are all so perfectly balanced and integrated into the flavor profile. So incredibly well rounded, full bodied and delicious!

M: Heavy mouthfeel with wonderful carbonation that lifts the heaviness off the tongue and makes the flavors jump on your palate. Very balanced as I previously stated, adding to the mouthfeel and slightly creamy.

D: Tough to give a high drinkability for an 11.2% beer but this is pretty drinkable. Smooth, creamy and not an ounce of harshness from the booze or bitterness. Would love to have this on hand at all times!

02-20-2010 04:46:57 | More by RedBrewer83
vacax

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours syrupy thick and black with close to an inch of brown head. Retention is moderate, with a fine ring of bubbles sticking around the edges of the glass. Smells of brewed coffee, cocoa, chocolate cake, and alcohol. The flavor is much more rich than the aroma, with loads of cocoa, fresh coffee, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake batter, cookie dough, an opulent warming spicy finish. Chewy thick and warming with low to moderate carbonation. The nice flavor and fantastic finish make this an easy drink despite its strength. Definitely a great stout and I would lavish it with more praise, but I will reserve that for my love affair with Canadian Breakfast Stout.

02-15-2010 05:48:07 | More by vacax
Iceman77

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

I should mention first that this is the '09 KBS, i've had one bottle laying around for a while and realized i never reviewed it. It is probably the most opaque stout i've seen, just a deep rich black with very minimal head despite a vigorous pour (probably due to age). The aromas are as complex as most beers' taste, you get a heavy roasted malt with the sweetness of chocolate, vanilla and coffee, and also a faint hint of the bourbon in the background. All of those flavors come back in the taste, just a wonderful melding of everything a good stout should be. The mouthfeel is very nice as well, there's almost three stages as an upfront, a mouth coating and then an aftertaste, each with a seemingly different effect on the flavor. The only thing that keeps me from rating the drinkability higher is the abv, i've made the mistake of drinking a KBS later in a sesh and it's basically put me to sleep. Definitely worth the hype and praises, this Founders offering stands right at the top of the imperial stout class.

02-13-2010 04:07:13 | More by Iceman77
hansgruber

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

KBS bottled 2.17.09 shared with cpz28

Appearance is pitch black with a one finger tan head. Minor lacing with a nice collar of foam. The carbonation is hidden in the blackness but shows up when taking a sip.
Smells of big coffee notes and bourbon. Very roasty as well. The coffee just smells fantastic. Would love to know what they used in the beer. One of the best noses on a stout that I've had.
Taste is coffee and roasty flavors initially. The bourbon makes its presence known more as it warms up. Slightly sweet with vanilla, bourbon, and oak making their presence known too.
Medium to full bodied with good carbonation. Very easy drinking.

Just a great beer to sip over the course of an hour or so and see all the flavors develop and change. I feel it's best a bit fresher when the bourbon presence is felt more. I cannot wait for KBS day to arrive so I can get some more for the coming year. Definitely seek this one out!

02-09-2010 20:50:44 | More by hansgruber
billab914

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Well we survived the DC snowpocalypse of 2010 but still have no power. I'm getting annoyed and the house is getting colder by the hour, so I deceded to get something from the cellar to lighten my mood and warm me up a little. KBS just sounded like a perfect way to start the cold night off, and it's my first KBS ever as well.

Pours black as can be in the dark, and just as black when held up to the candle light. Not much head to speak of but left a little lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma has bitter coffee, chocolate with a little more subtle wood, vanilla, and Bourbon coming through. Very appealing and complex nose.

The taste is very heavy on the bitterness with a lot of coffee, chocolate, and roasted grains coming through. The bourbon also comes through very well and compliments the other flavors, but isn't overpowering. As in the nose the oak and vanilla are a little more subtle then the other flavors, but add a nice complexity to the beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and carbonation is low, pretty much what I would expect from this style. Very drinkable and delicious, I could use a few more of these tonight to warm me up.

Overall an excellent beer. Breakfast stout is already an amazing beer and the barrel aging really adds to it in this case making it more complex and delicious. Can't wait to buy this here in VA this year.

02-06-2010 23:01:36 | More by billab914
BS68280

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Decided to crack a bottle in loving memory of my 10 year old rottweiler (Boe) who had to be put down today. Thanks to Wespatrick for hooking me up with this one. A 2009 bottle poured into my DFH signature glass. This is my second time having this beer, and the first time i was a little disappointed. My feelings this time are much different.

A: Somehow old used motor oil looks very appealing. This definitely looks the part, though with a very very small dark khaki head.

S: Chocolate, coffe, and a caramel/vanilla bourbon scent. This is one of the best smelling beers i can recall. I get those smells in a different order almost every time, they mix really well together.

T: Bourbon hits as soon as it touches my tongue. This is followed by the all so familiar coffee and chocolate mix that makes me love breakfast stout so much. Not much of a surprise here, the taste pretty much follows the smell, which is a good thing. Again the bourbon, coffee, burt malts, chocolate and hints of caramel and vanilla all mix together for an amazing brew.

M: Full bodied, creamy, and still very well carbonated.

D: Goes down very easy, i could drink a few easily. I only have one more left, damn Founders for leaving SC! Now i need to go on a hunt for this in a month.

02-02-2010 01:14:16 | More by BS68280
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured an opaque body with a thin brown lid.

The smell is obvious coffee, roasted malts, french vanilla ice cream, and rich caramel sauce and understated oak.

The flavor profile is very similar to the aroma. Coffee and bitter chocolate lead the parade. Alcohol presence is strong but bourbon flavor could have been so much more IMHO. Vanilla, licorice and burnt sugar add to the robust flavor. The finish is long and dry and full of roasted coffee.

THe feel falls short of perfection due to the slight lack of body. Lower spectrum of carbonation, very smooth and slicky but unfortunately just a tad too thin.

Founders may be the best in the biz when it comes to big cofee stouts and this is no exception.

01-29-2010 02:46:58 | More by bonsreeb85
crossovert

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

THe Amazing Kosmicki's Highly Acclaimed KBS. I'm popping it in celebration of completion of my winter term finals, and appropriately, for breakfast. Served lightly chilled. 09 vintage thanks to scubarex, unfortunately with the twist off, but it is only a year old so im not worried about oxidation. I can smell this one even with the cap on.

Pours into my orange juice glass a dense pitch black with hints of ruby/brown at the extreme edges of the glass. The thick, liquid looks like motor oil as it exits the bottle. The creamy cocoa/tan head is thick and creamy and about a finger thick. It dissipates within a minute leaving behind a frosting of lacing one the sides of the glass and a foamy layer above the beer. Looks tasty.

The smell is bursting with a large hit of coffee with some chocolatey notes and a nice kick of bourbon. The bourbon lends some nice malty scents and a touch of woody vanilla. Unlike the FBS this oen doesn't have any sign of hops on the nose.

This beer is thick and intoxicating. The bourbon takes center stage in the taste, much like a BCS but with a leveling amount of coffee that balances out the beer immensely. The oak and vanilla also make a larger appearance and taste delightful, creating a breakfast stout above the others. THE hops make their presence in the after taste with a tiny hint of citrus, that is one of the main tings that makes this brew so amazing, its subtleties. The coffee, alcohol, and hops linger in the back of the throat while creamy, chocolatey malt lingers in on the tongue and roof of the mouth. The biitterness is perfect and the alcohol and sweetness aren't overt or cloying.

The mouthfeel is right on in my opinion, it is lightly carbonated, but not under carbonated. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy without being over the top.

This is a monster of a stout, though I'm not a coffee fan the flavor in this beer just explode on the palate and mingle with each other perfectly thus creating a highly delectable beer for my palate.

01-28-2010 17:03:20 | More by crossovert
Beerkovich

I really should start reviewing more beers on here....I'm embarrassed that I have not reviewed this one yet. It may not help my credibility when I deal out another A+, but maybe that's my small role on here, to only comment when a beer moves me enough to write about it at 1:26 a.m., months after I last had it. I did take notes on one of my KBS/CBS tastings, but I'm not about to dig for them now.

Who cares--just read the other reviews if you want to hear words like 'vanilla,' 'coffee,' 'chocolate,' or 'bourbon.' You'll find plenty. But the main point I'd like to drive home is that this beer is very much an uncanny result larger than the sum of its parts. Those descriptors just do not quite do it justice.

This beer is right behind Vanilla Bean Oak Aged Dark Lord for my favorite beer of all time. I must give it a perfect 5 score, based on that sentence. This beer goes above and beyond, it raises the bar for american and international brewing, and on top of it all, it has no flaws.

Even the drinkability/mouthfeel. You would THINK that perhaps it might be a bit too rich, or syrupy, or sweet, or bourbony, or alcoholic, since other beers of this style are (Goose Island BCS). But this beer defies reason. When a buddy of mine drove us out to Founders, I drank three of them. Ravenously. It's surprisingly drinkable. I'm not sure if it's the coffee or what, but there is a difficult-to-describe "mineral" quality about the beer that "cools and dries" all the warm, decadent flavors. Perhaps it's the fact that the beer is supposedly aged in barrels under the earth in some kind of mine? I swear someone from Founders told me this in an email, unless I'm insane. This could be the explanation, as barrels are porous. If so, this is not unlike the way Islay scotch whiskey picks up a briny character from being aged near the sea breeze. Whether I dreamt this or not, maybe it's an idea for brewers to explore. I don't know.

Please try to discover Kentucky Breakfast Stout, no matter what it takes. I think they release the new vintage on or around St. Patrick's Day. Additionally, I think they tap a keg of it once a month, and it probably lasts about a week. Grand Rapids, MI. I took a day off of work to drive three hours up there. It was worth it. It is an inspiring work of art more than it is a beer.

01-26-2010 07:52:17 | More by Beerkovich
thekevlarkid

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Out of a bottle this legendary beer struck me instantly. As soon as I poured it out and inhaled I wrote "wow" in my notes. It was as dark and rich looking like used motor oil with a visibly viscous texture. The collar of brown foam was thin, the retention rather weak but the lacing quite good. The aroma was of coffee, chocolate, wood, alcohol, molasses and whiskey. The flavors offered all of the above along with tar, pine sap, leather, bourbon (specifically because of the sweetness as opposed to just generic whiskey), hints of dark fruit and burnt coffee and burnt bread. Despite the bourbon influence the alcohol was well blended in. The mouthfeel was rich but not heavy, the body medium/full and the carbonation perfect. Smooth, complex, demanding, gratifying and surprisingly drinkable. One of the finest beers I have ever enjoyed and absolutely deserving of every praise that is heaped upon it. To quote the equally legendary Ferris Bueller, "If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up. It is so choice."

01-26-2010 04:30:43 | More by thekevlarkid
Kelp

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Thank you to BeerisHeaven for this unbelievable brew.

Poured out black as a moonless night. A small head with no lacing to it.

The smell is amazing I get Bourbon and coffee up front. I get the vanilla and chocolate as the brew warms up.

This is what BCS should be right out of the brewery. This was bourbon right off, followed by chocolate and vanilla. Finishes with some more slight bourbon flavor and coffee that fades beautifully.

First thought is how smooth this is across my tongue and the creaminess that fills my mouth. Very little carbonation thought my only real bad thought on this. It's almost like drinking a really nice complex bourbon/scotch.

When I think about drinking this I could see myself sitting back and enjoying a few of these through out the night, sipping at my glass as it slowly disappears. It really is just a sipping beer a small sip many, many times over until you are disappointed because it is all gone and you still want more.

01-26-2010 03:54:30 | More by Kelp
Walken

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Founders: Kentucky Breakfast Stout (Vintage: 2009) (Tasted 01/24/10)
12 oz. Bottle, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Black as sin, the head starts as a one millimeter covering of bubbles and fades down into a perfect reproduction of the cloud cover from Van Goghs "Starry Night" on top of the beer with a crown of bubbles around the edges. No lacing, but this puppy does have some nice legs!
Odor: The nose is well layered and bursting with aroma. Bourbon and oak on top, layer of nutty, earthy coffee and bittersweet chocolate roast notes way in back.
Consistency: Akin to a full bodied coffee, in that there is a distinctive feeling of heftiness to this beer, but it doesn't feel extremely viscous of syrupy. Oak, roast and coffee keep the body in check, offering some astringency, carbonation is low, just enough to lend a creamy feel.
Taste: I love it when a beer has a knockout aroma and the flavor exceeds it. The layering hinted at in the aroma is very different. Coffee flavors run a little darker while maintaining the nutty richness, chocolate flavors are on the sweeter side than advertised, like dark chocolate fudge brownies. Bourbon, oak and vanilla are an afterthough, though they flourish in the finish. Either this beer doesn't show it's strength or the bourbon barrel flavors mask it completely. Finish is malt and adjunct driven, flavors fade, last-in, first-out, leaving a nice subtle bourbon flavor on the tongue.

"It tastes just like it smells...delicious" - Tyrone Biggums

01-24-2010 18:38:35 | More by Walken
ricke

Sweden

4.22/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to brewdan for this one.

Pitch black and viscous pour with a minimal beige head that dissipates quickly and leaves a minimal ring of lacings.

The smell is dominated by smooth bourbon aromas, wood and coffee. Notes of nuts, chocolate syrup, fudge, vanilla and muted roasted malts. Actually quite balanced.

The flavor is rather sweet with lots of coffee and bourbon character. The body is not as full as I had thought it would be, but the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. The chocolate is more pronounced in the taste than in the smell. Notes of woody bourbon, powdered chocolate, lots of vanilla, oak and roasted malts. Hints of licorice and fudge. Perhaps a note of tar. The finish is bitter and has a nice warming feeling to it.

All in all, surprisingly balanced. Not the big bourbon bomb I thought t would be. For a beer this big it's very easy to drink.

01-23-2010 15:02:31 | More by ricke
colefsuwr

3.9/5  rDev -15.8%

I can only wish a beer with this much character was released earlier in the winter. This is such a great beer to buy as late in the year as you can and hang on to it until it gets cold. Such a wonderful aroma as you open the bottle. It is heavy, but a good heavy. Don't try to eat dinner with it, just sit by the fire or in your ice shanty and enjoy.

01-14-2010 20:46:48 | More by colefsuwr
punkrkr27

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours black, with very little tan head. Initial aroma is a hint of bourbon, but not much else. As it warms, the bourbon scent becomes very strong in addition to coffee and roasted malts. Mouth feel is very smooth with little carbonation. Flavor at cellar temperature was a nice subtle blend of vanilla, bourbon, roasted coffee beans, and a touch of hops. As it warmed the bourbon and vanilla flavors got to be very intense, probably too much. I had a tough time rating this one. At cellar temp, the beer was wonderfully balanced, but once it warmed, the bourbon barrell flavor just overpowered everything else. NOTE: Re rated 8/27/06. Tap. Bourbon flavor seems to have mellowed a lot since it was first bottled. Flavor is much more balanced and enjoyable now.

01-07-2010 17:35:35 | More by punkrkr27
cvfish

Louisiana

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

A - This beer poured black as a struck match, no light shining through, that produced a small dark brown head that had little retention and left spotted laced along the side of the glass

S - The mix of aromas produced by this beer was incredible, scorched malts, bittersweet chocolate, ground coffee beans, vanilla, and whiskey

T - The taste of this beer had lots of things going on, scorched malts, bittersweet chocolate and milk chocolate, a nice espresso, vanilla beans, whiskey, molasses, and brown sugar round out all the flavors found in this beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer is probably the only negative thing I can pull about this beer, heavy body and a slight amount of carbonation, I only wish there was more bubbles in this brew

D - This beer is remarkable, hands down one of the best crafted beers I can think, while I can really drink a lot of this, this bad needs to be on everyone's want list

01-01-2010 03:07:47 | More by cvfish
backfat

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -13%

hello,
my name is Dave and I am 24 years old. my beer drinking days began when i was in high school. my first beer was a warm Budweiser on a beach at the outer banks. i decided i hated beer. later that day we drank cold MGD's next to a fire and my opinion started to change. after choking down 4, i was lit.... and hooked i guess. i was a pretty typical drinker on a college budget so i drank my fair share of hamm's and PBR. i even got a keystone light tattoo when i turned 19 on a bet (no joke). i still think it's funny but probably won't a couple years down the road. about four years ago, i was at a local watering hole called chumley's. i was in an adventurous mood, so i decided to jump out of my safe beer bubble and try something called three Floyd's Robert the Bruce. it's a Scottish ale made right in the state i live in, Indiana. 'wow, this doesn't taste like beer' i thought, not realizing the numerous things wrong with that sentence. slowly i began to fall in love with the hop and everything that comes with it. Then it was ambers and browns. Then my obsession with IPA's and stouts and barley wines and then imperial stouts and IPA's. I've come a long way, and i'm sure my beer journey has just begun, but one thing is sure... i love beer, and THIS is the best one i have EVER had.

EDIT: I wrote this review over a year and 1/2 ago, and I would like to adjust it. The 2009-2010 KBS that I have tried were in all actuality, the best beers I have ever had. The way the vanilla and the oakiness of the bourbon barrel merged with the vanilla and almost malted milk ball like flavor was hard to top. Now that I have an opportunity to try the 2011, I must adjust my score. It seems to have a roasted coffee dominance that clashes with the high alcohol presence and over carbonation. Will adjust the score accordingly next year. Not horrible. Toffee just isn't my favorite flavor.

12-29-2009 20:04:39 | More by backfat
NCBeerFan

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

I had this for the first time earlier this year and at the time thought it might've been the best beer I'd ever had. I've since had a few that have given it a run for it's money, but thanks to a few excellent trades, I've got my hands a few more bottles and have decided to see how it stands up now.

Poured into a DFH snifter, opaque black with a very thin head which quickly dissipated into small brown bubbles. Smell is outstanding with salient aromas of bourbon, oak, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Taste is well-balanced and follows the aroma closely, although the bourbon isn't quite as noticeable. Has a silky smooth mouthfeel, almost like liquid chocolate. Goes down very smooth, with a noticeable boozy, chocolaty presence, which lingers for awhile.

This is undoubtedly one of my favorite brews and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival in a few months. Great job Founders!!

12-29-2009 04:03:44 | More by NCBeerFan
k3n

4.33/5  rDev -6.5%

2008 vintage.

Thick, viscous black. A vigorous pour gives me an inch of dense head, which quickly retreats down to a thin sheet with patchy spots. Minimal lacing. No light intrudes the body, and the color stays evenly black all the way to the edges.

Nose is roasted coffee and booze. Bitter chocolate in the background.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light. The flavors are intense but the feel of the beer is relatively light. Flavors follow the aromas, roasted coffee beans, bitter chocolate, roasted malts, and some alcohol heat. Finish is moderately long.

Halfway down the glass, I'm continuing to be impressed by the mouthfeel of this beer. There's a definite heft and creaminess to it, but it doesn't get over-bearing. Also, unlike other barrel-aged stouts I've had, the bourbon aspect is quite mellow, and doesn't crowd out the rest of the beer. A+ for drinkability.

12-27-2009 01:26:47 | More by k3n
AdmiralDiaz

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz.bottle to pint.

A: Pours molasses black with a big brown head with decent retention and some web-like lacing.

S: Smells of strong bourbon, alcohol, roasted malts and some coffee with a very melded chocolate and vanilla note. Smells amazing. What's interesting is that the smell is fairly mild, not in an non-complex way, just a can't smell from a foot away like some beers. Not a bad thing, just not a trait you often see...I mean smell.

T: Strong bourbon with chocolate notes. Coffee kicks in on the finish, however it's complimented by bitter oakiness. This is amazing. It's complex but not as "extreme" as GI GCS, which I like because that helps the drinkability factor.

M&D: Good carbonation and a heavy body are great, but what really impressed my is the mouth-drying bitter feeling you get. The mouthfeel blew me away, I've never had anything like it. It's pretty drinkable for the abv content and it's not too heavy. I could probably do a couple bottles.

12-25-2009 03:46:08 | More by AdmiralDiaz
boomer31

4.15/5  rDev -10.4%

Got via trade back in the summer. The night before Christmas Eve thought I'd treat myself.

A-Black with a little little tan head that fades quickly but sticks to the glass

S-Coffee and a hint of bourbon

T-Coffee, lots of chocolate and some bourbon. Not nearly as much bourbon as expected but a very nice balance.

M-Smooth, nice low carbonation.

D-Way too drinkable! Not as much bouron as I was expecting. Could it have faded with the months in the cellar? Probably not.

A good beer and would like another, but probably won't seek it out via trades. The chocolate is very heavy but is balanced out nicely with the bourbon.

12-24-2009 03:24:34 | More by boomer31
bobv

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Another stout tasted over Thanksgiving '09.

From notes:

Appearance:
Darkest brown, thin head, little lacing.

Smell:
Roasted coffee malts, negligible chocolate.

Taste:
More coffee, hint of dark fruit (cherry), coffee finish

Mouthfeel:
Soft, little carbonation at first, flattens fairly quickly.

Drinkability:
Definitely want another, but have to drive to Thanksgiving dinner!

12-22-2009 16:08:46 | More by bobv
pwsoldier

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Huge thanks to koopa for hooking me up with this!

A - Pours blacker than black. A paper-thin layer of bubbles tops the beer, then dissipates into a thin ring of brown. Lacing is fairly light.

S - So much going on here! Notes of black coffee and dark chocolate jump out, accentuated by notes of bourbon and maybe a pinch of anise.

T - Smooth notes of vanilla and roasted malt sweetness quickly give way to sharp bitter notes of chocolate and coffee. Plenty of spicy bourbon notes in the finish. Some alcohol tries to poke through, but ultimately remains hidden for the most part. The bold bitter notes of chocolate, coffee, and bourbon linger on the palate.

M - Full-bodied and very rich. Carbonation is low, the better to bring out the bold flavors.

D - Very easy to drink despite the high abv. This is an incredible stout, and I certainly wouldn't mind getting my hands on more of this stuff!

12-16-2009 00:05:08 | More by pwsoldier
steve8robin

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Got this one from an awesome tip from Yamar18...

A: Perfectly pitch black. No head but little mocha colored bubble along the top of the brew.

S: Smells very well balanced. Coffee, oatmeal, and oak scents eminate from the glass. Smells delicious!

T: Awesome balance! Just like the smell, the coffee and oak flavors are balanced perfectly! Coffee hits you up from first and almost a caramel type flavor on the backend from the oak and bourbon. Is not one bit hard to drink and very complex flavors! Not many brewers get that right.

M: Fantastic cabonation

D: Despite the complexity of this brew, not one aspect is overpowering so it goes down surprisingly easy.

All in all, this brew is fantastic. I can't believe I took so long to try it. Definitely one of my faves! Founder's has a great thing going here. Recommended for craft beer-aholics and people looking to expand into craft brews alike.

12-13-2009 01:54:48 | More by steve8robin