Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,239
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
yeahnatenelson

3.75/5  rDev -19%

Appearance -- Pours almost pure black, thin layer of brown head. No lacing, but coats the glass well.

Smell -- Bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, coffee, and some charcoal.

Taste -- The bourbon is very pronounced. Strong oakiness, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, some charcoal. Finish is chocolate, char, and bourbon.

Mouthfeel -- Velvety, full-bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Sharp alcohol bite in the finish.

Drinkability -- The bourbon character is very sharp, so much that it burnt my sinuses. Mind you, I enjoy barrel-aged stouts, and Founders Breakfast Stout - what is essentially the base beer - is a favorite of mine. However, I just couldn't fall in love with this one like everyone else. A noble brew to be certain, but I may stick to my tried and trues in the future.

06-18-2010 01:34:52 | More by yeahnatenelson
jonvan04

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%

After keeping an eye out for many months, I was finally able to land a bottle while eating dinner at Hawthornes in Philadelphia. It didn't feel right drinking this straight out of the bottle, so I ended up pouring it into the jar that was supposed to be my water glass. It was jet black without very much head. The aroma is a very nice blend of coffee, roasted malts, and a little hint of the oak. The taste was an intense blend of the coffee and roasted malts. The mouthfeel was rather light considering how heavy of a beer this is, which would made it very easy to drink a few of these. Anyone who likes coffee flavor in their beer would absolutely love this.

06-17-2010 17:05:12 | More by jonvan04
chalsk

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Very delicious imperial stout. Pours a dark black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of bourbon with hints of coffee, vanilla, and malt. The alcohol comes through on the smell and taste. This stout has it all sweet and malty on the front, bitter and biting alcohol on the back. Thin mouthfeel. Notes of vanilla and coffee which linger on the tongue through the finish. This is most definitely a snifter worthy stout.

06-16-2010 02:38:08 | More by chalsk
liquidcraft

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours up nice; rich black with a short, enticing mocha head. I've drank my share of these but never with the attentiveness of a review. The smell is heavy with bourbon, but chocolate and coffee are there in full support. I like that the flavors are present above the roasted scents that often accompany stouts.

Taste is just straight up comforting. I'm all about whiskeys and the bourbon variety is no exception. Chocolate and coffee come up first with some of the classic oak-imparted flavor. Bourbon comes heavy in the finish providing a sweet and boozy sensation. There is no mistaking the alcohol in this one but it works for the benefit of this beer, I think the warmth adds to the experience of this. Its carbonated nicely, it wouldn't hurt to be thicker but I dig the balance of KBS. Founders rarely misses the mark with their beers.

06-14-2010 13:17:45 | More by liquidcraft
DrDemento456

4.8/5  rDev +3.7%

The legendary founders KBS. Never did I think I would find a bottle without trading. Picked it up at my local mix and six for 6.50 a bottle

A - Fuel black with no head to speak of. Thought it was kind of odd but because of the ABV it seemed right. No bottle date on label or bottle.

S - Right up from the bottle I got oak and coffee but in my tulip glass I can smell coffee and bourbon with more oak. Slight burnt sugars also.

T - Warming bourbon followed by vanilla, oak, then bitter coffee and chocolate finish.

M - Wow the bourbon packs a less than mild punch than expected! Still very noticeable yet the bitterness of the chocolate and coffee malt take some of the heat off.

D - What to think... Really an amazing brew that I guarantee at least an A in this reviewers opinion. Strong flavor and high ABV with expected high price tag. May have it again if I hit up the brewery.

06-14-2010 04:40:05 | More by DrDemento456
BeerAndBourbon

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

This, my first KBS, is being consumed on Sunday 13 June 2010 to celebrate the last night of studying for the hardest exam I will ever take (Step 1 of the USMLE - United States Medical Licensing Exam).

Served at 53 degrees in a 12 oz. whiskey snifter.

A. Brisk pour brings up a pinky-finger-thick dark coffee colored head on top of an impenetrably dark black abyss. The head dissipates quickly to a thin ring of coffee around the perimeter of the brew.

S. Super coffee in the nose with a touch of dark chocolate. Some bourbon vanilla notes can be noted as the beer warms.

T. Bourbon barrel up front in the taste quickly followed by espresso, oak, and fine dark chocolate with a finish of bitter coffee and wood with a bit of fresh herb/leafy taste as well. The bourbon in the tail end really comes through; fine sippin' beer here (of course I prefer my barrel strength bourbon neat, too).

M. Medium-thick body with a good level of small bubble smooth carbonation. I'm on the edge with this. If I'd change anything, I'd like this to be thicker and possibly less carbonation. I like to really chew on my alcohol.

D. Excellent. I might have to pop another one of these when my bourbon drinking buddy gets back to town after my exam. That said, I might have to drop $25 on another 4 pack of these at my local beer store in celebration.

06-14-2010 03:34:00 | More by BeerAndBourbon
BeerImmediately

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Finally able to pick some up this year! Poured into a Chimay goblet at 50 degrees.

Pours with a respectable 1F of brown head, fading to film & ring over top of a jet black body. Little bit of lacing as it goes down.

Aromas launch right into roasted espresso bean, vanilla bean, and tobacco leaves. All bitterness.

Really creamy smooth on the mouthfeel, with an explosion of bitter Sumatra coffee grinds, and balanced with dark chocolate sweetness. The bourbon barrel and alcohol qualities sit WAY in the back, much more so than Founders Nemesis which has it punching you in the face.

Hardly a chugger, although the smooth body and delicious flavors are constantly pulling you back for more.

06-14-2010 01:31:38 | More by BeerImmediately
ebby82

3.9/5  rDev -15.8%

The initial smell was a delicious blend of coffee, chocolate malt, and bourbon. I also really enjoyed the first taste. But overall, I'm not a big fan of this beer due to its overwhelming Bourbon flavor. I'm sure it's great if you like bourbon, but I really don't. It's a well made beer, but the bourbon flavor is too much for me. The appearance was a beautiful deep tarnished black, however. The mouthfeel was intensely thick. I could never drink more than one of these, and at the price, I probably won't be drinking it again.

06-14-2010 00:10:32 | More by ebby82
adkirkish

4.35/5  rDev -6%

A: Toasted / Roasted malts are dominant, No hop aromas, no esthers. Bourbon is especially present which combines with coffee and slight chocolate aromatics.

A: Pours black and couldn't see through even when held to light. (Maybe I need a beer flashlight?) The head was thin and off-white and quickly dissipated.

F: As in the aroma, toasted and roasted malts are present, but the balance of this beer leans toward the coffee and bourbon. The only hops that I could possibly perceive would be in the finish which are coupled with an oak bitterness/tang.

M: To me this beer was surprisingly light in body, and I was expecting more chew. There is a slight warmth from the bourbon but not overpowering. I couldn't perceive any creamy feeling. There was a slight astringency from the oak/bourbon/hops in the finish but is appropriate to style.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. The coffee and bourbon play really well together. The only suggestions for improvement I could give are in the way of mouthfeel. This beer was lacking in body to me, but the aromatics and taste more than make up for the slight shortfall. This beer will definitely hold up to age. Excellent beer.

06-13-2010 18:02:15 | More by adkirkish
Slatetank

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this on tap at Capone's during the Philly Beer Week promotion.
Served chilled in 5.5oz snifters - I had 3.

A - An onyx shade with a thin cap of medium brown like crema on espresso. The clarity is opaque and the head retention is decent w/ spattering of lace taking hold to the small snifter.

S - At once the full nose has fruity deep plum and aromas of bourbon with vanilla and cocoa odors following closely . the notes of wood follow the dark malt, but no strong roasted aroma, simply a coffee, vanilla, bourbon and chocolate blend that smells slightly of alcohol

M - The feel has the oaky tannin of a bourbon barrel yet smooth coffee oil and cocoa astringency are all downplayed by the full foundation of sturdy stout. The chewiness is moderate as is the carbonation and the dry finish still carries a slight note of alcohol from the bourbon barrel with some hops and spiced notes of cocoa, coffee and vanilla

T - The taste....whoah, the taste! That took me back for a second to fresh KBS I tried after Dark Lord day 2 years ago - a full on chewy chocolate malt and vanilla flavor which submits gradually to a hop like pine spice and coffee note which leads to the element that gives the beer its name -bourbon and oak. The mild yet sweet bourbon is drenched in vanilla creaminess and cocoa flavors which have sweet and roasted edges and tinges of nuttiness from the wood complete the flavor. Like a fudge truffle with its rich full cocoa notes and the bourbon taste is the icing on the proverbial cake with intense pine hoppiness creating a contrast that makes fresh KBS the best stout I have had probably with exception of Canadian breakfast stout. The hop finish is delicious and provides a mild bitter dry finish

D - I consider the KBS experience the top of the pack, the pinnacle if you will, I had three of these and as strong as it is it still seems balanced and not at all like an 11% stout. The barrel is used deftly as an ingredient and adds to the delicious tastes of the stout, coffee and vanilla without intrusion, the flavors are all melded together expertly and I think the draft is ever so slightly more drinkable than the bottle.

06-13-2010 17:07:39 | More by Slatetank
rootbeerman

first time tasting this.

A: pours deep black that is brown around the edges when held to the light. very thin dark brown head
S: coffee, chocolate and light vanilla, a bit of alcohol along with a little nutty aroma.
T: first off my mouth waters betweens sips. coffee, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, sweet dark roasted malt whats not to love. there also is a nutty cookie like flavor. could say this is a liquid cookie. alcohol is noticeable in the throat as it warms up.
M: smooth very coating, low carbonation. overall stays and lingers in mouth for a long long time.
D: very glad i went to find another 4-pack, very drinkable.

06-12-2010 07:45:29 | More by rootbeerman
wyattshotmaker

4.4/5  rDev -5%

poured into dfh chalice. pretty much a black void with a dark tan head.

nose is dominated by coffee and dark chocolate, hint of vanilla.

taste has alot going on. boozey, dark chocolate, vanilla, coconut, roasted barley,slightly nutty, coffee. the coffee flavor is really intense and lingers.

mouthfeel is very viscous. the carbonation is low.

overall i'd expect a richer bourbon flavor. in comparison to BCS it has less bourbon hotness, more coffee. shoulda picked up some BC coffee stout when i was in chicago./

06-12-2010 02:53:13 | More by wyattshotmaker
MetalHopHead6

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%

Founders KBS is delicious, completely natural-tasting, and a remarkable experience.

KBS poured black with a short milk chocolate-colored head. It left moderate amounts of lace on the glass. The flavor was remarkable. It was dominated by high-quality dark chocolate, followed by hints of coffee, bourbon, and the slightest hint of vanilla. The flavors were authentic and natural, with none of the artificial nature that many chocolate stouts have. The feel was smooth with a bitter finish. KBS enlivened the mouth. This is a remarkable slow sipping good-to-be-alive experience. It was thrilling to find it.

KBS is a sure-fire top ten beer with a ton of complex nature flavor and a great mouthfeel. It serves perfectly as a dessert, a meal, or a late save-the-day experience. Have I mentioned it's remarkable?

06-12-2010 00:33:43 | More by MetalHopHead6
mfunk9786

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Another beer masterpiece courtesy of Founders, purchased at Capone's in Norristown, who had more KBS than I've ever seen in one place on hand. I'm reviewing the bottled version (I was able to score a four-pack for a whopping $30) but it was wonderful on tap, too (obviously).

A: Pours thick, thick, thick. It'd be a waste of quality beer to try this, but I'm pretty sure if you rubbed it in some old hinges, they'd stop squeaking. Pours with little to no head (though I have no complaints about that in this case, because the milk chocolate-colored lacing is beautiful and never ever goes away).

S: From the moment the cap is pried off the bottle, the smell of this beer fills the room. Upon further sniffing around my Unibroue tulip, I can quickly pick up bourbon, oak, and vanilla; with chocolate and coffee not far behind. The wonderful thing about the bourbon aroma is that it's buttery and sweet, and is lacking in any of the more aggressive characteristics of bourbon (there's no aggressive boozy smell to this beer).

T: Perfection. A smoky vanilla and oak flavor (with a ton of sweet sweet bourbon notes), followed by bittersweet chocolate, and finishing with bitter, ultra-high quality black coffee. Takes your tongue on an incredible ride from the beginning of a sip to the end.

M: Chewy. Feels thick in the mouth, but once swallowed, there's a nice carbonation tingling and oh-so-slight alcohol burn that reminds you that you can't just keep drinking this all night long. The fact that it's impossible to find this beer is also a good reminder of that in and of itself, though.

D: Even if you want to guzzle it down, this is a beer that you should cherish and savor over the course of an hour or two. I'm the kind of guy who buys an iced coffee and never takes his mouth off the straw until he's left with a stomachache and an empty cup three minutes later. So it's difficult not to just attack this beer, because it's just SO DAMN DELICIOUS. But resist. You'll be rewarded with every prolonged sip.

One of the best beers ever. I've been on a roll lately when it comes to stouts, and I don't want it to end. Along with Dieu du Ciel, Founders is making the absolute best stouts [and beers, period] in the world.

06-11-2010 22:34:24 | More by mfunk9786
thequeen711

4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

KBS 2010!!!! is finally in PA!!!
Nose of blended chocolates and bourbon, Pour is rich chocolate black, barely lacing at the top. The aging in the oak bourbon barrels just makes this specialty brew more flavourful. Medium-heavy mouthfeel, just slides down the back of my throat and warms my belly! This is in my top 3 Favourite beers, and I will faithfully seek this out whenever the opportunity arises!
Thanks to Mike Bell and the guys at Founders for creating such pleasure.

06-11-2010 16:13:15 | More by thequeen711
biglite351

3.38/5  rDev -27%

A - super dark with just a hint of brown around the edges.

S - not nearly as good as I was expecting. Mild bourbon with malts and caramel.

T - sweet with mild coffee and chocolate. Obvious bourbon but not overpowering.

M - decent coating with tingles moving around entire mouth and throat.

D - it is a bit too strong for more than one, but you do want that one...

06-10-2010 01:09:10 | More by biglite351
cpetrone84

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Huge thanks to Erik for sending this as an EXTRA!!! I've been waiting to try this for quite some time.

A-pours a jet black viscous liquid with a thin bubbly dark mocha colored head.

S-the nose is big and delicious. roasted coffee, slightly burnt, dark chocolate and vanilla behind. notes of oak and bourbon towards the back and just a hint of meat.

T-great flavors! burnt coffee, notes of vanilla, decadent rich dark chocolate, very light notes of bourbon, more chocolate richness, finishes with just a touch of smoked meat but very light.

M-extremely smooth on the palate, creamy and rich. the body is quite full and the carbonation is good, the back falls off just a little.

D-this is extremely tasty! great flavors and fantastic job on the barrel aging. top notch beer!

06-10-2010 00:07:44 | More by cpetrone84
sugarman71

4.78/5  rDev +3.2%

I stumbled on this by losing a bet...and now I cannot get enough of this. I don't know what it is ... the bourbon taste? the smoothness of the entire pour? It is something spacial! Definitely one of my favorites and I would recommend this to anyone who wants a different tasting stout.

06-09-2010 22:07:25 | More by sugarman71
scottyshades

Big thanks to Beerwolf77 for this extra

Part of an epic tasting, along with Sculpin, BCS, BCBCS, and more.

A: Pours a syrupy, viscous-looking, black oil color with a small brown (almost purple) head. Truly a thing of beauty.

S: Ahhh...coffee, oak barrels are apparent in the nose giving a woody note, bourbon (but MUCH more balanced and manageable than BCS)- and not very hot at all, only a little chest warming. Vanilla, a hint of dark berries, toffee, molasses, brown sugar, lactose, oats, chocolate, maple syrup, and a roasted/slightly burnt malt character.

T: See above; nearly identical. The maple syrup is a little less pronounced in the flavor, but you can still get a slight whiff. Bourbon is essentially blended flawlessly into the rest of the profile. Lactose is present and gives a good cream flavor that really goes well with the chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla.

MF/D: Super (I emphasize super) viscous body- one of the biggest I've tasted. Alcohol is very well hidden, and the bourbon is not boozy at all, rather complementary. Low carbonation. This is the closest-to-a-5 beer I've reviewed.

06-07-2010 19:18:31 | More by scottyshades
ejimhof

A- very black, maybe the darkest beer I've seen.

S- Huge coffee grounds and high alcohol smell.

T- coffee, chocolate, and whiskey barrel.

M- very smooth for an imperial beer could easily have more than one.

D- very enjoyable beer even though I don't drink coffee.

My label is different than the one pictured and says KBS instead of Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

06-05-2010 23:22:00 | More by ejimhof
augustgarage

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%

A very generous extra, courtesy of ShogoKawada (a million thanks!). Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip.

Opaque, charcoal-tinged seal brown with a low camel head which has decent retention despite being diminutive. Thick clear bands of tears suspend the fine lacing like specimens under slides.

Rich fresh roast coffee, brown butter, light toasted malt, and faint cocoa nibs in the nose. Hints of vanillin and coconut suggest bourbon, but it is free of solventy aromas.

Like dipping milk chocolate into Buffalo-Trace-spiked fresh french-press coffee, this is quite a drinking experience. Bold flavors duke it out, but no single taste emerges victorious. Brown sugar, anise, and light oaky notes round out the profile. Strong yet mellow finish with a lingering smokiness from the charred barrels and a faintly bittersweet aftertaste.

Thick, creamy, chewy, and lush, but with just enough carbonation - everything the style should be.

The ABV sneaks up on you a bit, so I don't recommend more than one of these for breakfast - the char begins to wear on the palate by the end of the glass as well, so I think the standard Breakfast Stout wins out in the drinkability contest.

A very impressive stout, worth seeking out if you love bourbon and black coffee.

06-05-2010 19:34:15 | More by augustgarage
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

Bottle of 2009 Vintage KBS poured into a large snifter.

Appearance: the ideal, motor oil, watery rim, chocolatey/tan head - nice lacing on glass.

Smell: Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, hint of pecan, fresh cotton, tree bark, leather, hint of pinaud aftershave,

Taste: vanilla, milk chocolate - a chocolate flavor that melds with the buttery oak flavor to create a smooth flavor, the hops mold with the coffee flavor to dry out the mid-back end and the rest is smooth bourbon whisky, semi-sweet chocolate morsel, clove, honey, molasses, a hint of citrus/hop bitterness/sour acidity comparable to lemon. This beer screams hot toddy! Hot chocolate chip cookies.

Mouthfeel: silky, thick, smooth, dry, crisp, fills every corner of your mouth - robust,
chewy - bourbon cleans up the finish with a minty mouthfeel on the roof of my mouth.

Drinkability: a sipper, however, were it readily available in keg form, I'd probably drink it non stop - I could probably hit this beer like the glaze curtain at Krispy Kreme. Beautifully crafted. A great standard in the bourbon barrel aged imperial stout category.

06-05-2010 04:24:42 | More by LauraAlberts
spoons

4.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a snifter.

Color is pitch black with a perfect coffee head that doesnt really stay around.

wow the smell is complex. Starts off with some vanilla and coffee notes. Lots of smokey oakiness in this beer. REminds me of Black Butte XXI. Some whisky and cognac smells. ohh and some more vanilla.

Tastes like a ton of smoke, like I am licking the inside of a fresh barrel. Bourbon is there too. Has a fresh oaky/coffee twang to it. Creamy mouthfeel, not super thick, just creamy. Some chocolate and reoasted malt flavors. This beer has a lot going on. To age or not to age that is the question. Good stuff, wish it were readily available.

06-04-2010 18:27:44 | More by spoons
morebeergood

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Found singles for sale in central MA a couple months back, and decided to drink one tonight. Poured into a DFH oversized snifter. The color of this beer is black as tar. I have not seen a beer recently that was this dark. Thick, caramel colored head forms at the very end of the pour. Nice lacing on the glass. Smell is intense. Lots of vanilla and aromatic coffee notes, with a hint of smokiness. The smell is boozy and sweet, but the flavor is dry and balanced. There is a definite bourbon flavor, but that is matched equally with a coffee liqueur counterpoint. An amazing amount of flavors that don't overwhelm each other, but all are in harmony. Mouthfeel was probably one of the "chewiest" beers I can recall. At first, it reminded me of syrup or pudding. But it mellowed out to be more stout like. I actually preferred this beer cold right out of the bottle. It seemed to lose some of the mouthfeel and flavor as it warmed up. Call that odd, but it seemed to be the opposite most times as true for me this time. Took a while to drink this beer, due to the viscosity, the abv and overall size of this beer. One serving was enough for me, but that one bottle was quite a journey. A great brew.

06-04-2010 04:59:00 | More by morebeergood
scottyb88

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottled 2/2010 and poured into Duvel glass

A- poured somewhat thick motor oil consistency, jet black and a 1/2 finger or so dark tan head, the head disappeared fairly quick, but when the glass is stirred around it reappears quickly and to full original size; some lacing along the glass

S-iced chocolate mocha coffee type smell; a little bit of oak and caramel nuttiness in the background; the bourbon aroma is present but very smooth and not at all harsh; as it warmed closer to room temperature a really nice roasted nut and stronger oak presence started to appear

T-all of the expected flavors are there: dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, roasted barley; there's a hint of vanilla bourbon extract that cuts the bitterness slightly with some sweetness; maybe dark chocolate covered cherry; as it warmed up there is a sense of when you take the last sip of a chocolate milk and all the syrup settles into that last sip

M-smooth, chewy, low carbonation, and perfectly hopped; the hops and alcohol get you right at the end; it lingers a dark chocolate dryness; as it warmed I noticed this cocoa powder type sugariness that clings to the side of your mouth, it may have been the hops coming through but it was nice nonetheless

D-for what its brewed with and the alcohol level, it is ridiculously easy to drink; so much flavor, but nothing is too over the top; the bourbon flavors are present yet tame and very smooth

Note: It lived up to the hype for me. It is much more enjoyable than the regular version of Goose Island Bourbon Stout for the fact that the bourbon flavors were not as astringent as GI

06-03-2010 03:45:04 | More by scottyb88