Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,011
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,456 | Reviews: 2,612

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

I want to start this off by saying many hyped beers really don't live up to the hype! Fortunately there is founders. I've been looking for a KBS for a while and scored one Wednesday night. Popped it open Thanksgiving and split it with my dad.

A: Black as black can be, we help up to light there is not see through this, a little mahagony around the edges but that is it. Nice little head that disappates, nice lacing.

S: Bourbon, Oak, Smoky Chocolate, Roasted Malts. Excellenc

T: The bourbon was not to overpowering upfront in this one, it was more on the back end which is great, because I also like to taste my stout along with the bourbon notes. Espresso, chocolate and toast were very noticable. Slightly malty and a mild hop character for a beer that is supposed to be 70 IBU's

M:Very Light carbonation, smooth and heavy.

O: Great, this is a big beer so you have to like that, but this does not disappoint one bit. If you have a chance grab up one or two of these. You won't regret it!!!

4.25/5  rDev -8%

The beer that started it my complete obsession with craft beer. I have had this numerous times now so this is an overall review, not just a one off. Please see my review of CBS as well, as I was able to do a side by side of both.

This is my pinnacle beer. Pours dark and think like motor oil with a half inch head that disperses quickly. The smell pulls you in with coffee, cocoa, and bourbon. The taste absolutely will blow your taste buds and your mind. Thick viscous mouthfeel. Its crazy to think but this has absolutely no heat whatsoever. Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, typically in that order with a finish that goes on and on and on.

100% guarantee...This will always be in my top 3 beers ever!

3.85/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my trusty snifter. This is a 2010 vintage - bottle dated 4/18/10

A: As black and thick as they come. A very thin tan head fades quickly. Massive alcohol legs and decent lacing considering the ABV.

S: Mostly bourbon. Some roast, some cocoa and just a wee bit of vanilla. I get a bizarre "dustiness" and some oaky tannins in there as well.

T: Again, as in the nose, mostly bourbon up front...but I get more roasty coffee bitterness in the taste than in the aroma. Tons of oak. The alcohol isn't very noticeable at all. Some really thick baker's chocolate coming through at the end. This beer isn't necessarily sweet though. Definitely a good bit of bitterness left on the tongue.

M: Very smooth and creamy. Coats the throat as it goes down. Minimal carbonation. Chewy as hell.

O: I think this was actually a bit dissapointing to my tastes. I don't think I was expecting so much bourbon flavor. To me it's the dominant characteristic of this beer. The roastiness and the mouthfeel are inarguably top notch, but they are in a distance second...and that faint dustiness in the aroma is offputting. I would consider this a hybrid of an imp stout and a scotch ale. I'm not trying to be a hater, cause I LOVE Founders, but this is just slightly better than Backwoods if you ask me.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company