Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,499
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Jet black with a great pillowy mocha head. When you move it out in the glass, it has some serious legs and very minimal lacing, but a nice mocha oil slick of a head perks up.

S - vanilla soaked wood, sweet caramel, deep roast, leather, freshly roasted coffee grounds and a fairly assertive alcohol aroma.

T - Lots of dark goodness in here; begins with a hefty roast, caramel and milk chocolate. The flavor quickly progresses to a delicious vanilla character, hints of wood, maple syrup. Bitter expresso, cocoa powder, charred wood wraps up the flavor with a HINT of bourbon still riding through. The bourbon flavor is kind of disappointing, not nearly as much as I remember in years past and certainly not the star of the show. Wish I would have reviewed an 09 fresh so I could give this a 5/5 on taste.

M - the body is syrupy and substantial, but I wish it was a bit bigger. There is a nice subtle carbonation that is there, but isn't reminding me that it's there. What the hell does that even mean...you know what I mean, moving along.

O - In my super humble opinion, 2011 is a weak year for KBS. That said, this stuff is still fantastic and I will still continue to only open these up on special occasions. Tonight's occasion: oreo and his girlfriend decided to split up. LOL!~~~~

drewba, Jun 17, 2011

Kentucky Breakfast Stout 2008/2009/2010
all were reviewed on June 14, 2011 side-by-side
Rating is from 2010 bottle. I liked the year old version better

2008
A - Pours a pitch black/brown with a 1/2 inch of tan foam that slowly fades leaving a nice coating or oily lacing 3.5
S - I'm picking up hints of chocolate, some vanilla a bit of the bourbon, I like it though not fully blown away 3.5
T - Really nice taste, the choclate and roasted malts all blend well nicely with the bourbon which brings on a subtle burning at the end. There is some caramel and woody notes that really round this one out nicely. 4
M - Smooth and creamy, it just fills your mouth with silk and it is very enjoyable 4.5
D - 2nd favorite of the three, but I feel like the flavors are starting to go downhill a bit. Still enjoyable, maybe just a bit oxidized. 4

2009
S - I'm picking up about the same as the 2008 in aroma, but there is a bit of a difference. Not sure if its the bourbon that is a bit stronger in this one. 4
T - The taste is the same as the 2008 but amped up a bit more. The bourbon is more present in flavor but not in heat. The chocolate stands out more as well and the vanilla is there to round it out. There seems to be more of a coffee presence in this one as well. 4.5
M - mouthfeel is about the same for the 2009 with just a bit more of an alcohol burn. slight carbonation as well. 4
D - I think with one year on it, it is perfect for me. I could sip this and be quite happy. 4.5

2010
A - Pours a pitch black/brown with a 1/2 inch of tan foam that slowly fades leaving a nice coating or oily lacing, it seems to be sticking around a little longer than the others. 4
S - Again, the same flavors but a bit more intense, the chocolate stands out more 4
T - This is interesting, the bourbon seems more present while the chocolate and coffee seem more subdued. I'm picking up alot of the wood and vanilla as well, but the chocolate and coffee are not there as much. 4
M - Again, smooth and creamy but even less than the 2009. Its just not as silky and a bit astringent, but all around decent. 4
D - Of the three, I think I find this my least favorite. Time for me to set some more aside. Still very drinkable, but I feel it could use a year in the cellar. 4

mikereaser, Jun 15, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +3.5%

poured from 12oz 2011 bottle into a 10oz snifter

A - Pretty much what you'd expect. Motor Oil Black with a pretty thin mocha colored head. Lacing is beautiful.

S - HOLY CRAP there is so much going on. Vanilla, Oak, Tobacco, Chocolate and Bitter Coffee all at once. Although theyre all in there, theyre extremely hard to distinguish because theyre all blended so well due to the aging. Simply amazing.

T - The bitterness of coffee and dark dark chocolate come up front with the vanilla, bourbon and smokiness follows it. This is truly remarkable for an 11 percent beer, but the alcohol is not there at all. Not as much chocolate as I would have thought from the smell.

M - Smooth as can be. The fact that this is 11 percent is shocking, and the carbonation helps to cleanse the palate for the bourbon aftertaste.

Notes - This is my first time having this, and I am absolutely blown away. The flavors that are present are HUGE, but rather than compete they just completely meld together. Really incredible experience.

scotvega18, Jun 14, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

- from the notes, a tasting session, and a small bottle.
A - a stout black brew with a short lived head.
S - bourbon smell is evident. Sweetness and chocolates predominate after the bourbon.
T - wow, there's no doubt what barrels this beer came from. Think chocolate stout in a bourbon barrel that has bourbon left in it. Add roasted malts to the mix and you have the idea.
M - smooth and silky with a little bite.
D - maybe not a session beer but certainly enjoyable.

Beer4Baltimore, Jun 14, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -8.7%

No visible date. 2011 batch.

A: Black with a thin brown head. Some splotchy lacing.

S: Mostly stale coffee beans and bourbon at first, with some chocolate and wood. The bourbon becomes more pronounced as it warms.

T: At first, stale coffee and bourbon with some chocolate. There are also some vanilla notes, presumably from the wood. Initially, the taste is layered, with no one dominating. As it warms, the bourbon becomes more prominent, and the beer takes on a liqueur-like flavor. Even though the chocolate and coffee are restrained, I had to struggle a bit to actually taste the underlying stout. I was worried that this beer would be too sweet, but that wasn't the case.

M: Medium, lightly carbonated. Ordinarily I like stouts to be thicker, but this works.

O: It took me a while to drink a 12 ounce bottle, and one was enough. This is a well designed beer, and the flavors are well integrated.

greybeardloon, Jun 13, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -7.4%

Intro: 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottle dated 12/17/2009 release

Appearance: No head and minimal lacing that clings. Lacing can be swirled up that looks like chocolate milk foam. Coloring is closer to a very dark brown rather than black. The liquid looks thick like Worchester sauce.

Smell: Initially, the chocolate notes come through followed closely by alcohol.

Taste: Hershey’s chocolate taste, sort of a semi-sweet chocolate but smooth with a dark chocolate aftertaste and some alcohol. It was smoother than I expected given the thick appearance.

Mouthfeel: Leaves a film coating in the mouth with the bittersweet chocolate residue although it does have a fair amount of carbonation considering the lack of head when pouring.

Overall: Surprisingly smooth beer with a clean taste although heavy on the chocolate, but not overly sweet. Honestly though, I was a little disappointed. This is one of the highest rated beers, and this one was cellared for 2 years, and although not my favorite style, I was expecting more from this beer. When comparing it to other beers in the style, I find others like Southern Tier richer. I find this beer does not deliver the goods like “lesser” brews. The alcohol taste is very strong and not balanced well against the chocolate (These are personal preferences though).

heysuz, Jun 12, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -6.9%

This review mainly serves as a compare and contrast of bottle vs. tap, and after sampling side-by-side with its elite BA contemporaries...

A - Color is a medium semi-sleek black... A very thin dark brown had fizzes away rather quickly... Some carbonation streaks can be seen throughout... Thick, dense, and hearty...

S - The nose is potent and enticing... Coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, and vanilla all compliment the effects of the bourbon...

T - Much more complexity when compared the the bottled version... The bourbon, while still uber-present blends in with the rest of the flavors and add the complexity... Chocolate... Coffee... Some woody notes... Touches of caramel...

M - Full bodied... A bit chewy... Dense... Limited carbonation... A bit of a chalky finish...

D - Interesting to sample on tap after enjoying in bottle form on many occasion... Still an elite and must try for all BAs, but it barrel aged competition seems to be gaining a bit...

philbe311, Jun 12, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +5%

Beer was served on tap at my local watering hole.

Appearance: Beer was a super dark brown, with a coffee-like muddy vibe. There was minimal if any head by the time it got to me (which can probably be attributed to the higher ABV of the brew), but what was left was a menacingly dark tan ring around the edge of the glass. The only stopping block to perfection was the lack of a head, but that's forgivable given the circumstances.

Smell: Rubbing alcohol, bourbon whiskey, deep-dark chocolate, espresso beans, red wine, thick maltiness. My exact wording from the note was "Mocha Bourbon Mania."

Taste/Mouthfeel: Liquor. The beer nearly evaporates off the tongue. Once it settles in, there is a perfect amount of carbonation...the best way I could describe it would be to say "lava flow" because it just keeps unfolding layers and layers of flavor on the tongue. Everything mentioned under the nose.

Overall: Man, if this had had a decent head, we would have found ourselves a 100%-er.

Lauthaha, Jun 10, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Poured a thick brown-black with a small, dense mocha head that mostly dissipated, but laced well. Scents of chocolate, molasses, and bourbon. Lots of coffee in the taste, sweet chocolate and vanilla bean, and bourbon that actually isn't too strong, but rather somewhat mellow and masked by the malt roastiness. Complex and delicious. Super, super smooth, and I almost caught a tiny bit of a subtle fruit finish. Full bodied, and definitely very drinkable.

Better than CBS. Easily.

Rifugium, Jun 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

A beer that has tastes of black coffee, M'n'Ms, smoke, oak, bourbon, booze, raw meat, chocolate, grass, tobacco, fabric, dark fruits, cacti, hops and blood. Interesting beer. Smooth but whatever. Had this beer four years ago. Still like it. Still want more.

Jazzcrop, Jun 10, 2011

Had to go for something special for my 200th review. I had the good fortune of picking up 2 4 packs of 2010 and even more 2011 (well, actually 2009 and 2010 if you count when bottled).
Yes, I know this is an extremely hyped beer, this years causing a frenzy even. In my opinion, this is one that that lives up to the hype.
appearance: Black, black, black, gorgeous mocha head.
smell: Incredibly smooth mocha. Coffee w/o over the top bitterness, chocolate w/o over sweetness, and that buttery barrell aged thing in just the right amount to balance all.
taste: again, all this coffee, chocolate, and barrel aged goodness in perfect mellow harmony.
This is my second perfect score. Not sure if that's over-use or not but I just can't imagine this beer being any better. Like a great work of art, nothing should be added or taken away.

cindyjeffsmith, Jun 08, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours pitch black in body with a light coffee head, an intimidating potion. Smells of bourbon, subtle coffee, chocolate, wood. Beautifully smooth: flavors of chocolate syrup, cocoa nibs, bourbon, booze, some cigar, hop dryness towards the finish. Amazingly refreshing with light carbonation and a heavy body that leaves cocoa cloying on the palate. Elegant, powerful. Top 10 best beers I've had.

JRed, Jun 07, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

I was honestly lucky enough to stumble across my first KBS on tap. Served in pint glass. Watching the pour was everything I had foreseen. Held my glass up to the light coming in from a window behind the bar; no light came through! Darkest brown before the color black with thin tan/khaki head on top.

Aroma was of slight mocha (even a minute aroma of coffee). Most present was the stout aroma as back-bone but definitely bourbon presence.

I have to review taste and mouthfeel together because, in my opinion, this beer overwhelms both at the same time. This stout had an unbelievable silky texture that coated my whole palate with a chocolate/bourbon fusion of stout! One of my most enjoyable, relaxing, and thorough beer experiences.

orvalrugger45, Jun 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

S: Fresh roasted coffee, dark chocolate, restrained bourbon

L: Thick black, tan head that dissipates.

T: Bourbon sweetness up front followed by rich roasted coffee. Solid medium bitterness and alcohol leads to a wave of bourbon and chocolate sweetness. Finishes fairly sweet with more bourbon and touch of roasty coffee.

M: Medium full body, medium low carbonation.

Fantastic, i feel like the bourbon was stronger than i remembered when i tried last years. But i'm not complaining, a very good beer.

bum732, Jun 06, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked up a bottle of Founders KBS when it was released in March for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. I have wanted to try KBS since the first time I heard about it but I quickly learned that just because Founders is from Michigan doesn't mean we get a large surplus of KBS, so when I just so happen to be at the Lager Mill the day they got their shipment I knew that was a sign I had to get it, my only regret is that I didn't get my 2 bottle limit, oh well you live you learn. I have been keeping this baby in the cellar for a special occasion and now that I am on my 200th review I feel like its a great time to give this beer a try and to celebrate 200 reviews and many more reviews to come. No visible bottling date but I know it's a 2011 vintage. Poured from a short 12oz brown bottle into a snifter. 2014 Edit i aged one for a year and I found out what I already knew this beer is best fresh, but still good when aged.

A- I don't like the label as much as the original Breakfast Stout's label but it's still ok and the mock surgeon general warning is an amusing touch. It poured that usual used motor oil pitch black color that I have come to expect and love in imperial stouts. It had a finger and a half worth of nice mocha colored head that died down to a slightly thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and left some nice looking lacing.

S- If I had to describe the aroma in two words it would have to be chocolate and bourbon. I pick up a nice combination of bourbon, black coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, and some caramel. There was also a slight aroma of alcohol but it wasn't that dominating. This beer has a great aroma that is really complex, theres just a lot of good things going on here. It seems like the vanilla and caramel flavors come out a little more when the brew warms up a little.

T- I thought this beer was going to have a hard time topping the awesome aroma, but after taking a couple sips I can verify that this does indeed live up to the aroma. The first flavors I get are dark chocolate and coffee, then comes that wonderful bourbon flavor that is not too overpowering and it imparts some very nice vanilla and caramel flavors. There is for sure some warmth from the alcohol. but I expect that and it doesn't seem hot to me. On the finish there is a slight coffee bitterness and the aftertaste leaves behind lot of nice bourbon flavors.

M- Smooth and a little sticky with a semi dry finish. It was full bodied but it was on the lighter side for being full bodied and it had a good average amount of carbonation, a little more wouldn't hurt but it isn't necessary.

Overall I think KBS is an excellent Stout and one of the best ones I have ever had. I have always been a big fan of barrel aged beer, but this one takes barrel aging to a new level, I really love how all the subtle flavors of the bourbon came through and they blended with the base breakfast stout nicely. This beer isn't that drinkable, it makes for a nice smooth sipper, but if I had another one it would be hard for me not to drink it. I liked everything about this beer, everything seemed spot on and balanced very well. There is tons of hype surrounding this beer and it lives up to it gracefully, I see why so many people drop what they are doing and rush to the stores to get some before it is all sold out, it's just that damn good. A little part of me was hoping I wouldn't like this beer that much so I wouldn't have to go through the madness each year to get it, but since I like it so damn much, I guess I am just going to have tough it out and scour my city for any available bottle I can find next year, damn you Founders, this must be all part of your master plan. This is a must have for any true beer lover, it's not just a beer it's an experience. This has to be the best beer I have had from Founders and now it has a place as my favorite barrel aged stout to date. I can't say enough good things about Founders, and with beers like this, you don't have to, you just let someone take a sip and watch the smile form on their face. I couldn't think of a better beer to celebrate 200 reviews with, heres to 200 more. 2014 Edit i aged one for a year and I found out what I already knew this beer is best fresh, but still good when aged.

StoutHunter, Jun 06, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours black with a thin tan head into my Cigar City snifter.

Nose is strong bourbon upfront, vanilla, coffee and some chocolate.

Taste is amazing, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, oak and some nice alcohol warming. Very complex, very tasty, alcohol is prevalent, but were talking 11.2 here.

Mouthfeel is smooth and silky, low carbonation.

This is one amazing beer, word class.

FLBeerGuy, Jun 06, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz btl poured into a DFH snifter - 2011 vintage

A: pours black like used motor oil with a 1 finger tan head that lasts and leaves a lot of lacing

S: Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, hint of chocolate

T: bourbon sweetness up front, coffee and roasted malt, chocolate, ends with a nice oaky vanilla smoothness, bourbon flavor is not overpowering

MF: medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, very smooth

D: very enjoyable, the high alcohol content is well hidden, great sipping beer

ADTaber, Jun 05, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -8.7%

Have loved this beer in the past, and got a couple bottles this year!
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/4 finger of chestnut head with poor retention. Pitch black liquid. I would like better head retention. Great otherwise. I love the label.
S: Slight bourbon, chocolate, coffee, lactose. I'd like a stronger aroma.
T: Chocolate, then milky sweetness, then a bourbon bite. The bourbon bite stops shy of being aggressive, it's just nice and flavorful. So tasty, but so rare, this one's only for special occasions.
M: Smooth for a BBS. Still a little tongue numbing and solvent like. Syrupy.
D: Tasty but strong! A sipper for sure, but I'll definitely order again and actively seek it out. I'll save the second bottle for sharing when the family visits from out west.

dfillius, Jun 05, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Black with a thin tan head. Even a hard pour didn’t produce much more that a thin cap that fades quickly to a ring and leaves some little spots of lace on the glass.

S- Caramel, vanilla, hints of bourbon, alcohol, chocolate, and a few notes of coffee. Smell is very complex and changes as it warms.

T- Chocolate and coffee right away, they are soon displaced with a bourbon note that grows until it dominates the taste. Finish has hints of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla mixed in with the bourbon and some heat from the alcohol. Finish is bone dry and has a lingering taste of bourbon.

M- More that medium in body but not heavy, low in carbonation. Has a creamy and silky feeling on the palate.

O- A sipper to be sure and at 11.2% ABV you are only going to want one or two. There is minimal attempt to hide the alcohol in this but it is not overpowering either. Great balance between the strength and complex tastes.

I was saving something special for my 200th beer review, what a treat this was.

ToddT, Jun 05, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

thanks to buffs9, and damn founders for not distributing here in colorado

Appearance - no head for the most part, black with tan trying to get in somewhere. not very impressive

Smell - lots of bourbon, my my, i was a little nervous after the first smell. got a little chocolate on the second try

Taste - not as much bourbon as the smell, definitely not as bad. smooth, caramel, chocolate, beautiful. not as much gung ho as i might have wanted

Mouthfeel - smooth, drinkable, super nice in the mouth, wanted to just leave it there.

worth the trade, just to try this one much less the next imperial stout from kbs
thanks buffs9

claytong, Jun 04, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Had on tap at the Map Room during CCBW.

Had a deep, dark color and looked quite rich in nature. I could smell the alcohol from the first inhale.

The combo of chocolate, coffee, and vanilla were noted during the drink, and even though there is an alcohol taste infused, it is not overpowering. It was very smooth and didn't have a harsh aftertaste.

The look and feel of this beer were great. I noted the slow alcohol drip back down to the bottom of the glass after a sip.

Since I have never had this beer and heard many great things, I was hoping it would meet expectations--and it did. This is a quality beer and would like to give it a taste after some maturity.

Duffman929, Jun 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -8%

2011 KBS from a large "fish bowl" snifter served at 60* F

A- Beautiful black, brown head, sticks to the glass. The way a stout should look.

S- Smells good, but seems to be less boozy than last year. Still has a great smell of coffee, bourbon, and booze.

T- Taste is incredible, but seems to be lacking from the 2010 variety. It is flavorful, but doesn't have the bourbon flavor that I remember. It is a very good stout. One of the best. But each bottle I've had so far (10 total) each one tastes very different. The first few were very strong on bourbon, the next were strong on coffee, and the last few have seemed to be more balanced, but weaker in overall flavor. You do get it all though. Bourbon, chocolate, alcohol burn, with a very nice coffee finish.

M- Sticks to the tongue, and stays with you. And thats all the good flavors. I want a stout to stick, and this one does. however, it does feel a little thin when compared to it's appearance.

O- A top notch stout. If I had not tried an 09 BCBS, the batch 1 of the boulevard RIS, and GI Big John from this year, I probably would have rated this A+, but those stouts impressed me in overall quality and flavor, thereby raising the stout bar. From what I remember from last years KBS, it would have held it's own much better. I just feel that the 2011 batch is a little bit thinner.

jamespub, Jun 03, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

This one deserves its reputation. I could drink this until I fell down!! Pours a dense dark brown color with no light getting through. Takes a hard pour to get a medium size head, but the head is rich and dark brown in color. Fairly light lacing. OK head retention.

Smell is great. Chocolate, vanilla and coffee expertly blended.

Taste is great as well. None of the flavors stand out. The bourbon barrel flavor is fairly subtle. The coffee, chocolate and malts are more pronounced but they all complement each other in a beautifully blended whole. Very smooth, very nice.

Mouthfeel is rich and smooth. There is an alcohol presence but it is at the back end and not off-putting, just part of the show.

Overall this is a great beer...as enjoyable as The Abyss and probably better. I would drink this one again...any time any place. Outstanding

JayQue, Jun 02, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

A- pitch black with thin tan head
S- bourbon, coffee. So good.
T- coffee, toffee, dark brown sugar, vanilla, boutbon...lots of bourbon. In a very good way.
M- nice smooth coating of the mouth. Not a lot of carbonation. you know you are drinking something big.

Amazing beer.

osubuckeye99, Jun 01, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Received in trade from Chugginoil (many thanks as always!).

A – Pours a deep dark ominous black. A fairly heavy handed pour still only produced a small ½ inch of creamy looking tan head. Leaves a nice ring around the glass with a tiny bit of legs.

S – Vanilla, caramel, coffee, dark chocolate and bourbon.

T – Has a nice dark coffee roasted flavor to start. Next up comes up some of the nice vanilla flavor with caramel. It really isn’t sweet but you can certainly get those lingering flavors from it. It also has a nice dark chocolate hint as well with molasses. The bourbon is certainly apparent but not overpowering leading to a great balance.

M – Creamy medium to full bodied. Light carbonation.

O – Hard to not love this. It’s really a wonderful stout, well balanced and not overpowering. Great mix of flavors. If you are a bourbon fan this will be an epic tasting and even if you are not its just subtle enough to make you a fan.

GallowsThief, Jun 01, 2011