Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,020
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,492 | Reviews: 2,620

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

After enjoying a regular Founder's Breakfast Stout (that I haven't reviewed yet) that I picked up last night (for $9.99 a 4-pack) while meeting birchstick for an in person trade at our local Friar Tucks (for KBS) I tried this top 10 beer in a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - It passes my "It's so dark I can't see through it."  test. It has slightly more carbonation than I expected ... more than Dark Lord, but not enough to be annoying. I prefer less carbonated beers. It had almost no head, even though I frantically dumped the beer in my tulip. It was ruby red at the edges and it screamed DRINK ME SLOWLY!

Smell - This smelled like a vanilla bomb that needed immediate attention. It took me over an hour to drink the 11.2% ABV 12 ounces. It tasted great cold (too cold really) from the fridge, but as it warmed up, the smell only made me want to guzzle it more. But I was patient.

Taste - I tasted mostly vanilla, which surprised me since I prefer coffee beers. Or do I?! This is an incredible beer ... balancing vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Does it sound like a dessert you may have had? Well, it tastes most like dessert than beer to me. As much as I'd like to guzzle this beer, like I do anything that tastes incredible, as I said before, I made it last a long, long time (during the first half of an NFL game). I do NOT like hoppy beers as as a rule, and I noted that this was 70 IBUs ... very well hidden and balanced with the 11.2% ABV and strong flavors.

Mouthfeel - This had a bit of carbonation and a very chewy feel to it. It was almost perfect. I may have had one or two beers better, Dark Lord ... and a one-off from Two Brothers called Red Eye (I think it was imperial stout pressed through coffee).

Overall - If this was $12.99 a six-pack AB would be a brewery of the past! On the other hand, I understand this beer is approximately $25 a 4-pack. As good as it is ... I got to thinking ... how much better is it than regular Founder's Breakfast Stout? I picked up a 4-pack of Founder's Breakfast Stout for only $9.99 last night and tried one right before this. Was KBS worth $15 more a 4-pack? I don't think so. If you can score some KBS, then by all means check it out. If you can't get it, but can score some $9.99 Breakfast Stout ... you'll still be having a treat.

I think the reason I wasn't as impressed by this beer as I thought I would be is the first time I had it I had been waiting in line for over 2 hours (with 1:45 to go) before getting into the Three Floyd's brewpub during Dark Lord Days 2011. I got a tiny taste of this and thought I'd tasted the holy grail of beers. Of course, I was also very tired and dehydrated after waiting in line so long! An hour and 45 minutes later I DID taste one of the holy grails of beer ... Vanilla Dark Lord on tap ... OH DEAR!

All in all, an incredible brew ... worthy of it's top 10 rating. It's cheaper, lower-ranked brother, Founder's Breakfast Stout ... is also incredible. (Review to come).

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

I want to start this off by saying many hyped beers really don't live up to the hype! Fortunately there is founders. I've been looking for a KBS for a while and scored one Wednesday night. Popped it open Thanksgiving and split it with my dad.

A: Black as black can be, we help up to light there is not see through this, a little mahagony around the edges but that is it. Nice little head that disappates, nice lacing.

S: Bourbon, Oak, Smoky Chocolate, Roasted Malts. Excellenc

T: The bourbon was not to overpowering upfront in this one, it was more on the back end which is great, because I also like to taste my stout along with the bourbon notes. Espresso, chocolate and toast were very noticable. Slightly malty and a mild hop character for a beer that is supposed to be 70 IBU's

M:Very Light carbonation, smooth and heavy.

O: Great, this is a big beer so you have to like that, but this does not disappoint one bit. If you have a chance grab up one or two of these. You won't regret it!!!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company