1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,023 | Reviews: 2,408 | Show All Ratings:
nodder

4.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark brown. Almost black. A thin light brown head that quickly fades.

S- Bourbon, dark roasted malts, booze, some coffee.

T- Yum. Bourbon up front giving way to dark chocolate and coffee. The alcohol is there but well masked.

M- Smooth as silk. Full body. Again you get an alcohol presence, but it doesn't detract in any way.

O- This beer lives up to the hype. A masterpiece. Bravo.

04-01-2014 15:49:02 | More by nodder
BrewsforBreakfast

4.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Another beer that had me worried about the hype. It lived up to it, as did Heady.

A- brownish blackish black. Coffee head that got to about 1 finger with an aggressive pour then calmed down quickly.

S- bourbon, chocolate, coffee, sweet. So much complexity. There were so many flavors it was hard to pull them all out.

T- Rich, sweet, smooth, tiny alcohol burn that I hoped for. Too easy to drink. Left me wanting a second one. Tasted bourbon, coffee, vanilla.

M- nailed the consistency. Velvet. Creamy. Not oily. Not overly thick. Just what I hoped for. Carbonation balances the beverage but is hardly noticeable past that.

O- I just said to my wife "I was really looking forward to this one, but I would rather sit on these last few than drink them on anything other than a special night." This beer shocked me. Best stout I've had. Phenomenal.

03-31-2014 04:08:56 | More by BrewsforBreakfast
darthvohn

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Glass Used: Teku

Appearance: The stout poured a raven black with some brown highlights. You see a root beer color around the edges when held against a light. A thin chocolate milk foamy cap rests on the surface. When the head begins receding, some lacing is left behind.

Smell: Wow...big bourbon and oak fill the nose followed by dark bittersweet chocolate, and espresso notes. Also get the booze.

Taste: Big bourbon, coffee, chocolate, heavy roasted malts, booze are present. When you take a sip and savor, it tastes like a rich chocolate cake made with espresso and soaked in bourbon. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth and cooling alcohol vapor. While the 11% is felt, it's not un-welcomed or overpowering.

Overall: Amazing. This was my first KBS and I do understand the hype. It's an amazing and fantastic stout. Period.

03-30-2014 02:30:06 | More by darthvohn
SpiersBrewingCo

I hate to give a beer a perfect score especially after it being the 2nd beer I am reviewing on BA but I have had my fair share and I know a good, perfectly amazing beer when I try one. And this is it.

A: Pours still with lacy dark chocolate pecan colors and thin head that edges to the side of the glass.

S: Smokes the nose with intake of tobacco, smokiness, chocolate and staled bourbon essence.

T: Light and silky while cold with burnt coco flavors, maybe some toasty marsh mellows, finishes on the taste buds with a smooth flavor of bourbon as it warms up, hints of pecans and even darker chocolate.

M: Still as the black night, steady, thick but ready to go down perfectly from start to finish.

O: This beer changed my way of thinking, experiencing and most likely brewing beers. A style unique but does not shun anyone from enjoying and experiencing a very delicious stout.

Thank you, thank you....

03-28-2014 01:15:53 | More by SpiersBrewingCo
okmit_eel

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had the 2014 release of this at HopCat during their release date. The bar got packed up and pretty hectic for a while. This beer is fantastic. Warmed it up in the hands a bit to bring out some of the other flavors, as it was too cold to taste of them when first poured. Can't beat drinking this with the actual owners of Founders!

03-25-2014 18:14:16 | More by okmit_eel
REDSOXIPAGUY

3.68/5  rDev -20.5%

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a bottle of 2013 KBS. It went down to Florida with me and was tasted by 5 of us. I've had FBS, but never KBS. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. I really expected something great. It just seemed like a stronger FBS. I really didn't get any of the bourbon in it. I will get a bottle or two of 2014 and probably drink one fresh and age one. However, this did not live up to the hype for me.

03-25-2014 15:42:45 | More by REDSOXIPAGUY
N_Schleret

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a very dark brown with a half finger chocolate head that dissipates quickly, light lacing.
S: Bourbon notes, light coffee, and light chocolate.
T: Burnt chocolate, vanilla, caramel, bourbon, and coffee.
M: Creamy and medium bodied.
O: I love the way the bourbon comes out in this one. Top notch, well done Founders and I can't wait to seek out more!

03-23-2014 19:41:30 | More by N_Schleret
scm3

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

6oz draft in a small snifter.

A: Dark, dark brown with a caramel colored head

S: Chocolaty, Coffee, Caramel-vanilla

T: Very sweet with a delicious Bourbon taste that was not overly boozy

M: Thick and smooth, like a cream dream.

O: A very delicious beer! The hype is a little crazy, but if the beer consumers allow for it you can't really blame breweries for capitalizing. I went to two tastings around Grand Rapids and both co-founders of Founders were at each with a beer in hand to chat with people. Pretty awesome.

03-21-2014 21:46:54 | More by scm3
Badger6

4.89/5  rDev +5.6%

8-9oz draft...in a plastic cup because the bar ran out of glass tulips. Samples at Buffalo Wild Wings at 8 Ionia St NW, in Grand Rapids MI, Mar 20, 2014. Was home in GR for a medical emergency int he family...but had to make time for this.

A: Pitch black, almost no head, a few groupings of brown bubble son the surface.

S: Dominant bourbon and a roasty malt aromas. Hints of coffee and vanilla.

T: Unbelieveable! Bourbon up front, a really smooth bourbon flavor. Notes of roasted malts, hints of coffee and vanilla. Slight flavor of the alcohol, but as a nice warm complement to the main flavors.

M: Robust but velvety smooth. Soft on the palate.

O: Nearly perfect beer, of any style, this is simply an amazing beer that must be sampled.

03-20-2014 22:25:08 | More by Badger6
BoardwalkBock

4.86/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz vintage 2013

A: As dark as night. Looks like a blackhole of deliciousness.

S: Bourbon, whiskey, chocolate, figs, coffee, alcohol. Strong aroma.

T: Wow. Huge flavor profile. Whiskey and bourbon dominate. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, fig, dark fruits follow. Once again, wow.

M: Heavy. Tons of carbonation, decent bitterness, tons of warm alcohol notes.

O: Definitely the best BA stout out there. I've had the pleasure of having these beer three times before: 2010 Nassau, NY beer fest, 2011 Nassau NY beer fest and 2012 in a bar in Rhode Island. Completely missed out last year; until now. On my yeary visit to my undergrad school in Wilmington, NC, I came across a few bottles of 2013 KBS at my old beer store, Lighthouse Beer and Wines (Wrightsville Beach, NC). I hadn't been there in over 3 years and all the staff remembered me, so they just happened t mention the hidden KBS behind the counter. I couldn't appreciate it more. Glad I have a few 4-pks of KBS lined up for this year. Founders does it right!

03-16-2014 02:09:36 | More by BoardwalkBock
bdubs22

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The story behind my trying this beer made it worth it even more. While visiting some friends in Kalamazoo, MI, several friends suggested making a trip to Grand Rapids to try the seasonal release of the KBS from Founders. We arrived around 5 am in the morning to find people wrapped around the brewery almost twice over. By the time noon rolled around, we found out that cases were no longer being sold because of the unanticipated number of people in queue. 30 minutes later, 12-packs were no longer available, and eventually by the time there were less than 50 people in front of us, we were informed that there were no longer any bottles available but the taproom still had plenty. We went in and I bought a pint and was immediately impressed. For a stout-drinker like myself, it was the epitome of perfection! It is slightly sweet from the higher-ABV, but otherwise a world-class beer!

03-12-2014 21:27:33 | More by bdubs22
PPOmaha

Nebraska

4.21/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: roasty caramel and molasses. Slight roast barley. Coffee and whiskey are blended nicely, not too up front.

Appearance: black and opaque. Brown head that lingers well for high alcohol level.

Flavor: Slightly astringent whiskey and vanilla up front, mid palate is mostly bitterness, finishes with nice coffee roast bitterness on the sides of the tongue. Whiskey dominates a lot of the flavor notes. No DMS, no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Great beer. Can only really drink one but it is really enjoyable. I think I prefer plain breakfast stout though, there is a lot of stuff going on here, a lot of similar bitterness from whiskey, coffee, and roast malt all at the same time.

03-08-2014 00:37:46 | More by PPOmaha
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%

Very excited to finally try this one.

Beer is jet black with a very small tan head which fades quickly.

Nose is very good. Contains coffee, bourbon, chocolate. Very nice blend of the scents, all well integrated. A bit of vanilla.

Taste is like the nose. Moderately bitter, tasting of both coffee and chocolate. The bourbon is quite present, providing some vanilla and a bit of sweetness that offsets the bitter. Roasted malt. Like the nose, the flavours are super integrated. The bourbon not as intense as expected, but quite present.

Full bodied, moderately carbonated. Some alcohol heat.

Overall, excellent stuff. An extremely well done BBA stout.

03-07-2014 02:50:01 | More by jrenihan
RayVen

Well, we'll, well. KBS...must be.... Unicorn blood. Elixir of Life! Holy water. Water from the fountain of youth. Perfection. All I can say is, you have to try it for your self. Perfectly balanced stout. When you drink it the heavens of your senses open up. No too much or too little of anything. Coffee.... Vanilla.... CHOCOLATE.... Simultaneously

03-01-2014 01:53:02 | More by RayVen
dinosvino

If I could give this 6's all around I would. let me start off by saying that this is not in my typical wheelhouse. I'm a hop head through and through but this was one that I couldn't pass up. I was up in Waterbury VT for a beer release this past weekend and was fortunate enough to find myself at the Prohibition Pig - one of my favorite taprooms I might add. They had a keg of KBS from 2012 that they tapped. Immediately with your first sip you get notes of coffee but before you know it they are taken over by chocolate and vanilla. This is one of the smoothest beers that I have ever had. There is just no bitterness to it. If it wasn't for the ABV north of 11% I could drink this all night. This is the second time I was blessed with trying this beer. The first time was in the bottle.

02-20-2014 00:11:25 | More by dinosvino
CowsandBeer

Kansas

4.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jbaker67 for the trade! Bottled on 03/23/2013. 12 oz bottle poured into a Blind Tiger Brewery snifter.

Appearance: Pours about a finger of quickly dissipating dark brown head. Black body.

Aroma: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, vanilla and nutty coffee beans. Just a bit of sweet bourbon left in the nose. The standout here is the deep, chocolaty notes.

Taste: Up front you get that sweet, caramel/butterscotch bourbon barrel. Follows with more of those awesome chocolate notes, almost like a dark chocolate mocha with lots of cream and smooth roasted coffee beans. Finishes with a bit of oaky bourbon barrel.

Mouthfeel: Almost perfect. Full and very creamy. Warming but only in the best way.

Overall: Needless to say a beer like this is always a treat. What I enjoyed most was the amazing notes of creamy chocolate with the bourbon rounding everything out. Had I tried this fresher I’m sure the bourbon would have been more present but as it is now it’s still an amazing beer. Well balanced and nuanced. Highly recommended.

02-13-2014 05:07:51 | More by CowsandBeer
surfcaster

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 Bottle enjoyed in parallel with an Event Horizon

A: Pitch black in a tulip. Pour with low carbonation and a thin small brown head that tracked down the glass.

S: Even after warming on the counter, this kept smelling better through the pour. Lots of bourbon with some light coffee and vanilla notes.

T: Just delightful. Bourbon hits you first but is so integrated that the other flavors immediately follow as you send this one to the back of the tongue. Even at 11%+, no burn at all and a long lingering finish.

M: Decadent. Rich, smooth.

O: Just about perfect. I love having this in a 12oz format to enjoy by myself and if I want to share, I just open a second. One of the best examples of the style there is. MAKE MORE.

02-10-2014 01:05:20 | More by surfcaster
120minuteman

2013 Batch, popped open on New Years Eve (12/31/2014). Poured in to Wild Turkey tumblers.

What a beer! Did not disappoint. Well worth the wait. Very complex beer, yet highly drinkable.

Lots of chocolate and caramel (both in flavor and smell), with notes of vanilla and bourbon. Light carbonation and slick feel on the tongue.

Looking forwards to picking up another bottle on April 1st!

02-04-2014 01:58:03 | More by 120minuteman
Zach1251

4.59/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A solid representation of a barrel-aged imperial stout - strong dark chocolate, espresso, and bourbon on nose. Big bodacious malts, some cacao, and coffee on the body. A little lingering heat, but the finish is surprisingly thin though, which keeps this beer from being out of control tasty.

01-21-2014 15:43:09 | More by Zach1251
benclimbs

4.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black and totally opaque, beautiful - no light coming through this beast, about the viscosity of motor oil, knock a few points off for lack of head even when direct poured but doubt you could really get any with a beer this big.

Smell is good but the coffee really overpowers the subtleties in the nose - bourbon is hard to pick up and the cocoa comes through but 80% of what you smell is just coffee grounds. Again, this is good but I look for geared complexities in big stouts like this.

Again, the taste maintains the strong coffee profile but brings in the vanilla from the boubron barrels, some cocoa/chocolate and a lot of off-bitter malts - very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is perfect for a 12% imperial stout, super impressive - maintains a lightness that is super surprising.

Overall this is a great beer, I've waited years to try this and am very thankful that Saint Kitten sent this over to us from the land of Texas.

01-21-2014 05:43:12 | More by benclimbs
BrewUSA

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Founders KBS is an American Imperial Stout aged in oak bourbon barrels in a cave under Grand Rapids for over a year~ With a heaping 11.2% ABV, she pours about jet black, with a thin and light look~ Aroma is Chocolate, Coffee, Smoke, Milky, Espresso, Bourbon, Vanilla and Oak~ Feel is rather light to medium considering what's in this beast, smooth as aged glass from the pacific, almost unlike any texture I have ever had, just cascades and almost seems to 'Disappear' as it gets swallowed, tingles a bit and it satisfying, mild burn~ Taste is... Oh here we go, Just like heaven~ All the for mentioned stuff in 'Aroma' Chocolate, Coffee, Smokey, Milk, Espresso, Bourbon, Vanilla and Oak~ Also, over tones of Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Raisin, Dark Fruit and Mocha~ This Stout lives up to its name, overall very rich, complex and smooth... Many flavors can be picked up, however its the strong... Coco, Oak, Vanilla and Mocha paired with just probably the smoothest creamiest cascading texture I have ever felt that make this a superior brew that easily lives up to the hype, factor in a HUGE 11.2 ABV that only leaves a faint burn at best and you have what I believe may be the (or at least top 3) of the universes greatest beers, A new reigning champ in my book~ Overall: 98

01-19-2014 22:08:27 | More by BrewUSA
Gatch

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled in March of 2013. The actual day is scrubbed off. This beer is almost intimidating. Didn't even wanna open it up.

A: Beyond black. Thick, viscous liquid. Pours like used motor oil. Thin layer of deep brown foam forms and fades quickly. No head on this baby. A thing ring of retention and some serious legs.

S: Massive chocolate, roasted malt, and dark espresso.

T: Really heavy espresso. Slight booze but mainly sweet and beyond tasty. It's difficult to describe. The barrel is there once it warms up. Very earthy.

M: Smooth. So smooth. Thick and creamy. Finish is dry and strong and bitter like espresso.

O: This is serious stuff. Wow. Wish I could drink it once a week. Very special treat. Worth the hype.

01-12-2014 05:01:54 | More by Gatch
raynmoon

4.26/5  rDev -8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: jet black. No red at the bottom with a dark mocha head and nice alcohol legs.

S: classic bourbon barrel, some nutty aromas and coffee come through.

T: some of the same but definitely dumbed down. Light barrel with the chocolate and coffee coming through.

Mf:medium to light body. Creamy with a soda like finish.

Overall: sort of one noted. The complexity doesn't really come through.

01-06-2014 05:32:44 | More by raynmoon
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz Bottle received in trade with igeunard - 2012 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a small size frothy light brown head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 2-3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, coffee, bourbon

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and vanilla. There is also some coffee, wood, and some bourbon. There is also a bit of a nuttiness.

Overall - One of the best Imperial Stouts I have ever had. The chocolate flavours are very rich and you can tell they used high quality ingredients. It's bold yet well balanced and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

01-02-2014 01:51:44 | More by spinrsx
JohnParadee

Delaware

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a chilled pint glass. Deep dark, almost black color, with thin beige head, lots of tiny bubbles, and strong, consistent lacing throughout. On the nose, strong scents of chocolate, caramel, toffee, and butterscotch jump out of the glass. And I think I smell a hint of cinnamon (or some other peppery spice). The bourbon/alcohol is not readily apparent until the first taste, and them BAM! On the palate, the bourbon announces itself, draped in a silky smooth chocolatey/coffee awesomeness. Yowza! Incredible balance between the rich, velvety malts and the balls to the wall bourbon bonanza. When I die, please embalm me with this nectar of the gods. The mouthfeel is full, lush, and absolutely chewy wonderful. Before KBS, I would not have considered myself a huge stout fan. But now? Sell the wife & kids, burn down the house, empty the 401(k), and move to Buenos Aries with a truckload of this shit (if you can get it)! Hallelujah!!!!

01-02-2014 01:26:21 | More by JohnParadee