Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,390
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a deep dark black into a snifter with a small brown that quickly fades. No light getting through this one.

Nose is chocolate, coffee, smoke, bourbon, oak/wood and alcohol. Some caramel and even a bit of nuttiness (peanuts?).

Mouthfeel is full bodied, thick and velvety, low carbonation. Slick and viscous. Very smooth with some dryness in the finish.

I was expecting this to be over the top, based on my general feeling toward Founders, but to my surprise the taste is so amazingly well balanced. Sweet vanilla up front, chocolate and coffee bitterness in the middle and fading out with a quick blast of hoppy bitterness as it coats the back of the throat. Some alcohol dryness and bite, but kept in check.

This is sublimely drinkable for what it is. 11.2% ABV just gets lost in the beauty of everything else and you find the glass draining all-too-quickly.

Overall this one lives up to the hype. A really nicely balanced stout with that extra kick of the bourbon barrel really complimenting and enhancing the flavor in all the right ways.

frothyhead, Apr 19, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

I enjoyed this courtesy of a wonderful gentleman who brought it when he moved out to California from Illinois. He also brought Three Floyds' Dark Lord Imperial Stout, so we started with that, and then after experiencing complete beer jubilation, moved on to this (and experienced a second wave of jubilation). As I was slightly intoxicated from the Dark Lord I cannot comment too much on the look. All I remember is it pours a dark, oily body with slight head, but nothing too extravagant. It's aged two years, so a lot of the carbonation has subsided.

Strong aromas of rye, sawdust, and even oats. Momentarily felt like I was hanging out in a either honky-tonk bar or Irish Pub, you know, the kind with all the sawdust on the floor. Intriguing aromas, but I was not expecting sawdust.

The taste is similar to the smell: sawdust, oak, and oats, but also strong roasted coffee flavors. Keep in mind that my palate may have been a wee bit blunted as I was still reeling from the rich coffee/chocolate/molasses/whatever-else-is-present aromas and flavors of Dark Lord, so any of the molasses or chocolate that other reviewers are alluding to may have been knocked the *bleep* out of me. Perhaps I should have saved this for another night but what can I say? I was inspired from having two top-rated beers in my presence.

The woody, oak-y, and coffee aromas and flavors are the standouts here, and according to the gentleman who brought this to me, it's among the last of its kind. Too bad, I want more.

jminsc76, Apr 17, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a tulip glass. Bottle claims an ABV of 11.2%.

A: Jet black with a very thin chocolate-brown head.

S: Soft notes of oak and bourbon mingled with dark chocolate and coffee. Almost like a cold Irish coffee.

T: Taste is dominated by woody bourbon, coffee and semi-sweet chocolate. The three work flawlessly in harmony with one another, creating an almost singular flavor that's hard to pinpoint. Fairly strong roasted malt character. Comes off sweeter than the bottle's claim of 70 IBU's, but I'm not complaining. Alcohol is masked pretty well and serves to warm the throat and belly.

M: Big, oily and slick with a lower level of carbonation. Goes down very smooth for its ABV. Aftertastes are of coffee and bourbon.

D: A sipper to be certain, and opens up beautifully as it warms.

I fancy myself a cynic and a skeptic when it comes to beers as hyped and talked-about as this one, but it won me over in the end. A quite delicious brew that melds its flavors beautifully. Sip and savor. While I shall refrain from gushing endlessly about its merits, this is a beer that won't disappoint, provided you like some coffee flavor in your brew.

PirateUlf73, Apr 17, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

I recently (~two weeks ago) had a bottle of 1 yr old '08 KBS and a fresh '09 KBS. Shout out to Andrew the manager at Binny's on North Ave. in Elmwood Park for hooking me up with the aged bottle! I'm having another bottle of the fresh '09 tonight and will attempt to review both...

Overall, I prefer the aged KBS to the fresh, at least this year - bourbon flavor was more forward in the '08, coffee a bit more muted, and flavors were better blended and overall richer. Both of these served in my Duvel tulip at about 58F.

Both pour thick and black in color with minimal head but a nice dark cap. There's dark chocolate aroma in both, a bit of nutiness, but the big difference was that the bourbon and vanilla was a lot bigger in the '08 and the coffee a lot bigger in the '09. The coffee in the '09 is a bit too much, actually, and I'm even a coffee drinker. I may wait another 3-6 months before revisiting this one in order to let the coffee ease a bit.

Both bottles were big a chewy up front and quite tasty. Lots of roast malt and chocoloate flavors. Same comments about the bourbon and coffee in the flavor department as I already said about the nose.

Mouthfeel on both is quite nice, with the '09 being a bit thinner than the '08. Still big and thick though. Carbonation is good.

Drinkability is good for the style, I could have another no problem.

Overall, a great beer. I just tend to prefer a bit less coffee and a bit more bourbon, so hopefully laying these down for a little while will help with that.

MacDomer, Apr 17, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Black motor oil with a thin tan head and lacing.

S: Heady dark chocolate and slight bourbon smell.

T: A wave of dark chocolate and a slight coffee taste up front that fades to a slight, sweet bourbon and strong alcohol taste.

M: Thick and chewy up front, flowing smoothly over the tongue. Leaves a beautiful warming tingle in the mouth after it's gone.

D: A wonderfully balanced beer of strong and complex flavors. The dark chocolate and warming bourbon flavors plus the high alcohol content make this a perfect beer to enjoy in front of a fire in the winter.

Served: in a tulip glass.

eljefe21, Apr 17, 2009

Trying my favorite beer on tap at the Founder's brewpub. Served in an 8 oz. snifter. Board says 10% ABV. Appearance is oily black with a thin tan head. Smells of the barrel and charred wood, coffee, chocolate, maple syrup, and alcohol. Tastes are dominated by chocolate and coffee bitterness. Very smooth mouthfeel, almost a little syrupy. Very drinkable, but keep it slow because of the high ABV. An exceptional beer!

ndekke39, Apr 16, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Finally trying some of this wonderful brew. Can't wait I love regular the FBS so I'm sure this is going to be amazing.
Pours from the bottle very thick and viscous into my awaiting goblet. Dark as night with a small brown head that quickly fades away leaving no lacing on the glass.
The nose is mostly coffee getting some nice bourbon vanilla aromas in there as well.
The taste is totally different though, the first thing I'm getting is smooth oak, vanilla, and bourbon flavors followed by the bitterness of the coffee. This stuff is superbly balanced nothing really overpowering just tons of awesome flavors all perfectly blended. Mouthfeel is spot on very smooth and creamy and it goes down nice easy. Amazing stuff, wish I could have gotten some more of this stuff.

scifan, Apr 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Excellent beer! Very reminiscent of what I expect out of a stout. It has the bitterness that I initially learned to love drinking Guiness. Of course, I do believe this beer is much better than Guiness, but I as my introduction to the style, I always compare stouts to Guiness. The taste was very complex with that sense of bourbon barrel aging. Not as sweet as most imperial stouts I've had and it makes this beer much more tasty and more drinkable. Maybe the coffee helps calm the sweetness. Overall, this is a beer I will seek out again, probably the best imperial stout I have ever had.

bheilman, Apr 15, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

Split a bottle with my roommate tonight. His first time and I think he hated it. Doesn't like stouts though.

A- Poured into a pint glass. Quater inch head that slowly went away after a short while leading to a nice lacing around the sides of the glass. Pours pitch black very much like motor oil.
S- Smells of burnt coffee and bourbon undertones. Also, a strong soy sauce smell which kind of makes my mouth water for some reason.
T- Hints of bourbon and oak. Big stout taste which the roasted malts come through and the coffee taste with this one. Little chocolate taste that lingers after it goes down.
M- Heavy! Coats the tounge nicely in a bourbon coffee overload. Little bit more chewy than most stouts I had.
D- This is a beer that I can enjoy when I'm looking for something different than what I have been drinking.

All in all Founder's never ceases to amaze me with their beers. My roommate on the other hand never ceases to amaze me with his chugging skills when he doesn't like a beer.

alleykatking, Apr 15, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

I still cannot believe I got to try this beer. A good buddy (and fellow BA member) spotted a few bottles at The Foodery (Center City location) and was good enough to pick one up for me. He is truly a god amongst men.

After leaving it the basement for a couple weeks (in hopes of saving it for a special occasion), I noticed that this bad boy is actually a raging 11.2%, which made me even more excited to try it.

I poured this mythic ale into a brandy snifter, letting it sit for a few minutes before I dove in. It was colored the deepest black I'd ever seen with a creamy brown head and sizzling carbonation. The aroma was quite wonderful, bringing to mind everything from vanilla to after dinner liqueur to heavy cream. From first scent, its profound ABV is evident.

Flavor hits you like a ton of bricks, opening with roasted coffee bean and ending with vanilla and irish cream. I've never had a stout that is so well balanced and as it warms, a transcendent coffee flavor finishes with authority.

The beer coats the tongue with each sip with the sting of whiskey as it sinks. It's an absolutely terrific beer, but let's not kid ourselves. With its potency and big flavor, one or two is definitely enough.

A great beer for a special occasion and potentially the best stout I've ever had.

deapokid, Apr 15, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

My first review on this site since moving over from RB, and it's for one of the finest brews I've had the pleasure of ever having.

I've been eagerly awaiting KBS' arrival ever since I found out that Founders was coming to NJ, and I surely wasn't disappointed. But just finding this beer alone, was an experience in itself. I traversed for dozens of miles across the state, asked around, begged and I fortunately finally found a retailer where I could purchase an entire 4-pack.

I poured an '09 bottle delicately into a snifter and it yielded a classic, yet subtlety striking, 'midnight mud'-brown typical of a fine Imperial Stout with a razor-thin burnt sienna head, that quickly subsidized.

The aroma was strong, yet complex. I noticed the coffee right away and then the chocolate. Next, mild bourbon danced in the background, followed by just the smallest hint of vanilla.

I knew I was in for a treat, as soon as it touched my lips. I would say the coffee and bourbon are the most distinct and crisp flavors which I noticed right away. The chocolate in the mid-pallete definitely harmonizes those two strikingly different flavors. The aftertaste definitely had the slight oak burn with a bit of smoke, which is soothed over by a gentle, but enjoyable vanilla. Overall, extremely complex and each flavor complimented the other.

In my mouth it felt a bit heavy, but was incredibly silky and not and smooth as it whirled around my palette, but completely lacking an oily characteristic. I savored every second of drinking it, and I did not want it to end, which is remarkable for a beer at this ABV.

Overall, an American-made masterpiece, and I can't wait to see how this ages.

patmcd, Apr 14, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

After coming up empty handed in my search for this brew, I was delighted that Greg at the Trion had secured a few for his frequent customers to try. Poured an intimidating dark red, almost black with a milky chocolate head that retained forever. Aroma was bourbon, coffee, chocolate and roast malts and it was good. Same with the taste, this is a monster of a beer. Dense and chewy, with all those stout flavors amped up to an incredible level. As it warmed the tastes continued to change with coffee, bourbon, and the malts being front and center at different times during the experience. It was a little sweet and I can't imagine having more then one of these. Honestly, to me, I like the Founders Breakfast Stout a little better, just because I find it more drinkable. If I had to have just one more sip of a Founders Stout, this would be the one, but if I was to have one to go back to over and over again, the breakfast stout would take the day.

SwiftyMcBeer, Apr 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

quite a strange pour. viscus at hell. no head. even when poured aggressively. a small layer that gives the brown tint off the opaque stout color. smell is fantastic. no alcohol really. chocolate, coffee grounds, tobacco, vanilla, coconut sweetness, caramel, earth, woodiness. as for the taste. the bourbon comes forward. not boozy really. quite simple as bourbon can be, some acidity, some vanilla. not a cheap linger afterward. light woodiness, light smokiness, well rounded and dense in appearance but not as dense as expected. quite smooth. finish of some sort of mocha cappuccino assortment but exceptionally sweeter. not as punchy as the goose island. less forward, less dessert like...

as a comparison to another favorite american double. if you haven't had the Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) get off your ass. its a great beer without the bourbon. excellent example of the style without any funny business. yet there is nothing that makes a beer better than a caring sense of storage.

rtepiak, Apr 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

Even pouring it straight down the center of the glass there's close to zero head and, as one would expect, no lacing either. Completely black, seems to be the "look" these sort of beers seek. The bourbon inspired vanilla, caramel evident from the first sniff, the nose also features espresso bean, prunes and black raisins, there's a slight suggestion of flowers but this may very well be more diverse bourbon-inspired scents. Full-bodied, here the trademark Founders smooth carbonation comes in to help you breathe in the face of its sheer density and mass. Avalanche of roasted coffee, bitter dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla bean and burnt grains, followed on by black licorice, orange glaze. There is a noticeable alcoholic burn but it only distracts in a minor fashion. The prune, plum, raisin fruit a touch buried here. As you'd expect, you'd need a hose to wash this out of your mouth, long finish not close to describing it. A testament to intensity and depth more than to complexity.

farrago, Apr 14, 2009
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

A-Rich,lustrous black with a thick, creamy burnt khaki head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice lace.

S-Rich chocolate and espresso notes overlying lighter bourbon notes. Maybe the nitro pour reduced the bourbon aroma or maybe when the beer is fresh the bouron notes are diminished. Regardless the aroma was quite nice.

T-Rich, roasted dark coffee and chocolate with subtle bourbon notes to remind you what you are drinking. The flavours meld nicely to form a complex and delectable brew.

M-Medium body, velvety smooth, silky...absolutely heavenly! Good lingering coffee/chocolate bitterness and dry oak notes.

D-10% ABV---who cares! Bourbon infused chocolate coffee....d'uh, how could this get much better? A sinfully delicious beverage that most certainly could get me into serious trouble. Plus, to have it on nitro, nice touch Brass Rail. As far as I know only the Founders pub also served it this way!

Deuane, Apr 13, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

KBS pours like thick, black motor oil with a dark brown head. The nose has lots of roasted coffee up front with some dark chocolate and bourbon notes.

The flavor has coffee also, with roasty chocolate notes. There is a hint of the alcohol but not as much as expected. There is a bit of bourbon flavor in there. I ate a piece of chocolate while drinking the beer, which really seemed to bring out the woody flavors in the beer. The mouthfeel is nice and thick with low carbonation.

Overall, this is a very complex beer and I can see why it's rated so high though if you're not a coffee fan (I'm not) then it may not totally be for you.

Spidey13, Apr 13, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer lives up to the hype. I supposedly got two from one of the fifteen cases in my state right now.

Pours pitch black, like spent oil, and not much head, no doubt due to the gravity and viscosity. Not much of a bouquet as expected.

The taste is everything you would hope from this type of beer: complex silky layers of deep chocolate, vanilla, and roasted coffee. A boozy hint as to its abv comes with the pull.

I am consistently impressed by Founders and, while this is no different, it goes to the top of the list in my opinion.

chiral3, Apr 13, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -14.9%

I have been saving trying this one for a month or so. Easter was the day. Poured a very dark black with no head. Definite whisky nose with some coffee. Great flavor, coffee, chocolate. Very thick mouthfeel. Was a sipper for sure and I think one at a time is enough. Thats good for me since I paid so much for it. Great RIS!

flexinwext, Apr 12, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

This year's batch picked up from the brewery.

A - Pours black and viscous with no head to speak of even as I poured more aggressively at the end. It could definitely use more head but still beautiful.

S - Coffee and bourbon. Definitely a good breakfast. Slight malt quality to it. Time for my catch phrase. I wish they made candles that smelled like this.

T - Bourbon, chocolate and coffee. The coffee is by far the strongest flavor. The oak comes through in the aftertaste followed by a bit of burn. Not too much burn though. The lingering taste is just amazing.

M - Thick. Very Nice.

D - I'm trying not to house this thing. Must... be... strong. The high ABV is definitely not a problem here. Well hidden.

This is a great beer. Well worth the 5 hour drive to get a case. Funny though, I remember previous years relieving my neuralgia.

infestaxion, Apr 12, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Brewandbbq for an '08 bottle sent to me quite some time ago. The '09 I sampled directly afterwards is compliments of me.

For sh*ts and giggles sake, we're going to keep up with the tasting of ridonculous beers today. We did the Westys, now let's do the KBS.

Pours totally black with a thin tan head. Nose is whiskey, yes. Vanilla and boozy tones. Flavor is whiskey tones. Heavily influenced by the barrels, yes. I want to say I feel like it is interfering with the original Breakfast Stouts character. Feel is smooth on liquid and carbonation is slightly lower. This is nice and I certainly don't dislike it, but like I was saying: why mess with a damn good recipe?

For comparisons sake, I found the younger bottle of KBS much less "Kentucky" than Breakfast Stout.

RblWthACoz, Apr 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

No date on the bottle, purchased in April 2009. 11.2% abv and 70 IBU's.

A - About a quarter inch dark tan chocolately head with a pitch black body. Thin sticky lace after an aggressive swirl.

S - The nose is amazing, a powerful smell of dark chocolate up front, followed by espresso and a hint of bourbon. Another swirl and smell gives way to even more bourbon and some smokiness.

T - Chocolate, espresso, but mostly bourbon in the first mouthfull. The finish is an intense roasted bitterness. Alcohol creeps up on you and let's you know it's there. Definitely not too noticeable for 11.2%.

M - Just enough carbonation with an extremely creamy mouthfeel. The roasted bitterness lingers on the tongue for quite some time.

D - I really like this beer, but that's the difference between this and some other top notch imperial stouts I've tried. This beer makes me want another sip, but at the same time leaves me wanting more. I actually enjoy the regular Breakfast Stout a lot more.

AlcahueteJ, Apr 12, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Had to edit this one: Big thanks to madtowndmb1 for helping me acquire this beer, much appreciated man, thanks a million!

Pours black, with an inviting coffee colored topper of foam, about a half an inch high, which drops pretty quickly, leaving a few bubbles here and there.

Vanilla, chocolate, and whisky are prominent in the nose, along with an underlying roasted quality. If the taste can back up the aroma, this should be good.

Wow! So much going on, it's a little overwhelming. Roasted grains, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, a rounded bourbon whisky flavor. I get some brown sugar in there as well. Coffee bitterness comes on strong at the end, and more so as it warms. Pleased to note that I'm not really noticing any apparent alcohol. Also, as I'm sure others have previously noted, my bottle ('09) reads ABV of 11.2%, while BA has it listed above at 10%.

Mouthfeel is full as full can be! Silky smooth, bitingly bitter, and definitely decadent.

I'm not a big fan of hype. I've sought out beer after beer, only to be let down and depressed. This is not the case here. This one is worth it. I'm about 5 ounces in, and I've got a nice warming feeling going on. I can't wait to try one of these in a year or two, although I seriously doubt that I will be able to wait that long. Cheers!

dancinwillie, Apr 11, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Dark and thick like coffee, a small amount of dark brown head..

S: WOW!! Huge amount of coffee, and chocolate.. sweet, sugary and something else in there.. I could smell this all day.. hmmm KBS scented candles?

T: Tart at first.. Lots of coffee flavor, gets a bit bitter at the end.. This is one big beer. very strong coffee.. Not a lot of bourbon flavor in there... :( Still very good.

M: Textbook definition of: Chewy. Thick and sludgy.. damn that's good drinking.

D: Definitely a good beer. Worth all the hype.. probably not, but it is good. I am going to do a side by side with GI BCS in a minute, and we'll see which I prefer.

Notes from a 2010 bottle: A bit more oak and bourbon in the flavor, and it seems a bit more mellow. Nice nice. I don't think this years is as thick, no need to change it's scores, but very nice overall. Glad I picked up this years model. 4-7-2010

Beejay, Apr 11, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours from a 12oz bottle into a KBS glass I picked up at the Founders Brewhouse

appearance: pours the blackest of black. very thick. it's like looking into a black hole. absolutely no light excapes. the small head quickly disappears (which pulls down the appearance)

smell: dark chocolate with a hint of coffee and vanilla. small bit of warming on the nose from the bourbon

taste: same as smell, dark chocolate and bitter coffee. the oak adds a small vanilla aftertaste which is quickly followed by the alcohol burn

mouthfeel: thick, low amount of carbonation which is welcome with a large stout.

drinkability: i'm not sure if i could drink an entire 4-pack in one sitting due to the complexity of this brew. but i really enjoy this. this is an ideal brew to have while sitting inside on a cold, snowy night. no doubt if i'm able to get this one again i11 will not hesitate to pull the trigger. yummy!!

jcompton, Apr 11, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

1st review!

Well, it is about time I started to review beers - why not kick things off with an exceptional beer?

Poured into a Harpoon Winter Warmer Snifter

A: Pitch black, just a thin layer of dark foam after a vigorous pour. Completely opaque.

S: Coffee, oaky,

T: Roasted, charred coffee. Bourbon flavor up front, but quickly fades. Taste of black cherry pokes through the roast flavors. Waming alcohol taste at the end. Extremely complex. Roast bitterness lingers.

M: Viscous, coats your mouth, feels smooth, with some tannins felt at the back of the tongue

D: A sipper for sure, but the high abv goes down very smooth. The complexity makes me want to take another sip to see what other flavors develop as it warms.

Overall, fantastic. I don't care for the roast coffee bitterness that lingers, and there is a little too much alcohol warmth, but those are minor criticisms to an otherwise amazing beer.

FickleBeast, Apr 11, 2009