Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,006
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,451 | Reviews: 2,611
4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

An '09 vintage, poured into my Sierra Nevada tulip glass. Thanks to hellomisterp!

Pours a beautiful black like every stout should -- a tranquil, globular void in my glass, which seems to devour light -- with a modicum of rich, chocolatey, coffee-like head and a surprising amount of lacing. The aesthetics have got me excited and I'm anxious to see how this smells.

Coffee dominates the nose, followed by a fair amount of bourbon (though it's definitely taking the backseat), with hints of roasty malt, molasses, chocolate, and wood. It's not particularly sweet, as the coffee, unrelentingly, seems to overshadow every other facet of the beer. That being said, it's a very pleasant aroma and well-deserving of the name.

Tastes like it smells -- a prevalent coffee flavor, roasty and bitter, heavily laden with boozy bourbon; hints of dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel, spice, and wood round out the backend. Finishes dry, with coffee and bourbon flavors lingering long after ingestion. Not as sweet as The Abyss, or even Bourbon County Brand Stout, but it's exceptional in its own right. The bourbon, as before, plays a decidedly secondary role, which is a little disappointing, but it's still deep, complex, and damn good.

It's full-bodied in the mouth, with light, passive carbonation, making for a very smooth, though slightly viscous, experience.

Living in Oregon, I've grown intimately acquainted with The Abyss. KBS is an entirely different beast -- not even remotely as sweet, with emphasized flavors of coffee, bourbon, and wood. It's also a bit more boozy. Nevertheless, it's a welcome change; the roasted coffee flavors are blended exceptionally well with the sweeter elements and the delicious, almost subversive flavors of bourbon. Drinkability suffers a bit because of the bitterness and booziness, but it's not supposed to be guzzled, it's supposed to be sipped and savored. The Abyss still takes first place in my book, but this beer puts up an honorable fight. I'd buy it frequently if it were readily available, as it fills a niche that other stouts don't. If only I could drink this at work...

3.88/5  rDev -16%

Typical dark brown color with a thin layer of tan head that dissipates to a ring leaving just a bit of spotty lacing around the glass.

Aroma is very boozy - its tricky to even pull the bourbon aspects out as it seems like almost pure booze.

Taste is more complex - some woody flavors carry through along with a bit more of a bourbon bite and your more standard stout flavors.

Mouthfeel is great - smooth as silk and very drinkable considering the overall intensity of the beer.

May not be for everyone, but it is definitely worth trying.

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

On-tap at Bryant Lake Bowl.

Appearance: Simply put, this is an opulant pour, from the tap it's obsidian with runnels of maghogany foam churning in the glass forming a cap of rich brown head. Striking, exceptional, and inviting.

Smell: Heady waves of midnight dark chocolate, roasted coffee, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruits and roasted malt roll forth in a tidal wave of flavor.

Taste: Dark chocolates, roasted malt and espresso perfectly balanced with hop lend a bitterness that just pricks the tongue before laying on what has to be one of the most grandiose displays of what a brewmaster can accomplish with a bourbon barrel aging process. Big & warming with notes of vanilla, dark cherry, chocolate. Toffee sweetness. Altogether perfectly balanced bitterness and bourbon elements make for a looong, warming finish.

Mouthfeel: Luxiourous texture and very coating. Carbonation supports the body and it's just about perfect.

Drinkability: Delicious from start to finish. I really don't care if it's 11-12% ABV. Bring it on.

Notes: As I understood it, the bar owner aged this vessel of KBS for an additional year before tapping it a couple days ago. I could be wrong.

4.74/5  rDev +2.6%

Aquired in a "bottle auction". 2009 vintage

A- dark dark brown. No head to speak of. Just enough of a lacing to tell you it's carbonated.

S- Amazing. I couldn't wait to drink this beer, once I smelt it. coffee, vanilla, raisins, and bourbon lingering in the background

T- The taste follows the smell pretty closely. There is a roasted coffee, vanilla, I want to say slight maple, and an aftertaste that reminds me of a White Russian. The aftertaste lingers for quite some time, occasionally revealing hints of chocolate, port and quinine. Very complex, yet very well integrated. A classic bourbon stout. Worth moving to Michigan for.

M- utterly coats your throat. The aftertaste sticks around for a while and morphs as it goes. I'm waiting minutes between sips.

D- This beer is delicious and goes down surprisingly well for this style. That said, how many 11% ABV stouts do you want to drink in a sitting? This beer would be great with fruit or chocolate deserts. I also like that it is not terribly sweet for this style. It IS on the sweet side, but not as cloying as some.

3.97/5  rDev -14.1%

On tap at the Bryant Lake Bowl!

Appearance - pitch black, very little tan head or lace. little carbonation.

Smell - woah. sweet coffee, roasted malt, and boozy bourbon. very inviting.

Taste - toffee, bourbon, coffee, nice warming booze on the first sip. alcohol and bourbon presence progressively more prevalent as the beer warms. Very nice.

Feel - not nearly as thick and heavy as I expected from the appearance. very smooth, but very low carbonation.

Drink - higher than expected for such a big, flavorful beer...but the high ABV makes this one a sipper.

Overall - I'm really glad I tried this beer. It is definitely unique and extremely well crafted. I don't think I will be searching it out in the future as the bourbon is not entirely to my taste.

4.54/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a deep, dark, black with nary any head. Forcing the issue causes a few bubbles to reveal themselves - tan colored, but they quickly disappear.

Smell is divine. Molasses, bourbon, coffee, malt - well blended and exquisite. As it warms the coffee gets a little more prominent, along with an occasional burnt, bitter smell.

Taste is good - a lot like how it smells, except more bitter. There's a nice blending of bourbon, sweetness, coffee and malt - but a lot of burnt flavor as well. That's my only complaint - a bit too bitter for me. The overall complexity is very nice, however. As it warms alcohol and caramel notes start to show up.

Mouthfeel is good. Thick and creamy, but a bit undercarbonated and not quite as viscous as would be ideal.

Very drinkable.

4.48/5  rDev -3%

Got this through a trade with johnbjaeger. Thanks John. Let me see if I need you to send me more...

Put it in one of my favorite glasses a Charles Quint chalice.

It poured black but what did you expect it's a stout. Not much head on this one. The little head that did appear went away quickly.

I smell coffee, I smell barrel, I smell little bits of vanilla. I think I'm gonna just taste it...

Wow, this a sweet, sweet stout. Yes, I can taste the barrel, I can taste some vanilla and chocolate. It's a complex big beer but could also be dessert. Little bitter and boozy on the finish.

It's a nice creamy stout. Lots of flavor that lingers in the mouth after the swallow.

Loving it. Glad I got to try this classic and it was a good score on my first trade. Thanks for hooking me up John. Will cherish the 2nd bottle for some other special ocassion. Like being particularly awesome ;). Highly recomended.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Received as an extra in a trade with D13Logan - thanks a lot!

Appearance:
Pretty much jet black, even when held up to a light. Little to no head with just a thin layer of foam on the top. Not much carbonation. A nice lacing is left on the glass as you drink it.

Smell:
Strong bourbon and vanilla. Not much of a coffee smell, but it's there. Fairly strong alcohol presence.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Tastes like it smells, strong bourbon and vanilla. The coffee taste is much stronger than the smell and I'm also tasting chocolate. Good presence of alcohol that leaves a nice burn on your lips. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Great beer for the colder nights - it's definitely warming me up. The amount of bourbon taste in this beer is perfect, not too overpowering at all. Stronger presence of caramel as it warms.

Drinkability:
Definitely a sipper at a little over 11% abv. The many flavors do a good job at masking the alcohol though. This beer is just so damn tasty it would be easy to drink a few.

Truly a standout. Not much else to say, but as it says on the bottle, this beer "is good for everything a stout ought to be good for."

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Finally decided I had to review this, perhaps my favorite of beers. I generally crack one of these open once a month or so as a treat for being particularly awesome.

It's basically like my pint of Ben and Jerry's. Rich, creamy and delicious, it is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

First, it looks like beer strained through coffee grounds, head and liquid. Second, it smells like unicorn poop, with just enough of a booze nose to remind you that you are drinking real. Thirdly, it tastes like god's melted ice cream cone, coats the tongue and goes down smoothly. Vanilla, caramel and coffee hit you up front and the bourbon finishes you off. Each sip is superior to the last as this bad boy warms up to room temperature. The only reason I can't drink a six-pack of these is because it is so decadent that my heart may stop. Find some. Drink some. Love some.

If I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it might just be KBS.

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into DFH Signature glass.

A: This is what a stout should look like, nice dark black with a full mocha cap.

S: Lots here, I'll try to do it in order. Coffee and chocolate, vanillan, toffee, chocolate again, and lastly bourbon followed by roasted malts.

T: This comes in waves as well, and its everything you smell, only opposite. First hit is the bourbon presence moving on all the way to the coffee finish.

M: Just where I'd want a barrel aged stout, full and creamy without being too oily. Bourbon bite lends its warmth throughout the entire palette.

D: This is a great sipper for a snowed in day, should be the sign of a good night to follow. This is one that is better as it warms slightly, but I find if you wait to long it ends up a little thin and disappointing. Its no real worry though, these go down fairly quickly even sipping.

4.3/5  rDev -6.9%

12 once bottle sampled from a small snifter.
Bottled on date: 2.17.09. Almost two years old.

Pours a dark, mostly black with very little head on top. Carbonation is there, but not too strong.

Caramel and chocolate in the nose...almost a tootsie roll smell. There are hints of vanilla, molasses, smoke, oak, and a slight hint of curry--not an intense flavor, but just around the edges in the flavor, balancing the dark roasty aroma.

The flavor is on the sweet side, boasting notes of chocolate, cherry, vanilla, tart fruit, spice, coffee, caramel, honey, and plums. This is a rich, rich beer...

The flavor here is quite complex, deep, and rich. A remarkable stout that stands outside the box of other barrel aged stout. It is smooth, drinkable, and has an overall palette-pleasing element. A standout in the world of imperial stouts.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle (2007) into a tulip glass. Pours thick viscous black with a nice creamy tan head. Aroma has a ton of coffee, espresso, vanilla, very pungent. Lots of roasted choc malt and some alcohol. Also getting some molasses, burnt marshmallows and licorice. Flavor starts very sweet with the molasses, lots of oak, and bourbon, very nice woody character behind all of the sweet toasty malts. Big alcohol kick in the finish that trails for some time through the swallow. Full bodied and rich. Very nice beer overall.
Re-review from 2011 batch: Love this beer fresh, beautiful lacing throughout, definitely a nice sipper once brew approaches just slightly above room temperature!

4.3/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottled-on date of 2/8/10.

Appearance: KBS pours almost pitch black with about a finger of dark khaki head. Retention is pretty decent considering the ABV, and lacing is pretty good as well.

Smell: Roasted malts and bourbon are the two biggest components on the nose for me. I also get quite a bit of coffee, and very light hints of chocolate and vanilla. Pretty complex.

Taste: Roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate up front, followed by a good deal of bourbon heat and a bit of vanilla. Finish is definitely bourbon/alcohol with a bit of coffee. The bourbon heat is just about perfect. One year old seems to be a good age for this beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Mouthfeel is probably going to be my biggest knock on this beer. It's slightly under full bodied, which is fine, but carbonation is quite low and the resulting feel is pretty slick. It seems to accentuate the bourbon/alcohol component in this beer more than the base flavors. If the malts/chocolate/coffee clung to the palate a bit better my score on this beer would be even higher. That being said, this is still an excellent beer. A good one to sip on and savor.

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a black body with a brown head that very quickly fizzles away to a thin brown lace.

Aroma smells of coffee beans, bourbon, chocolate, malt.

Taste a lot of bourbon and coffee right off the bat. Then, hints of chocolate and something very sweet like a syrup. After letting the beer settle I find the flavors come more together as it warms up. An incredibly tasty stout.

Mouthfeel is very impressive. Thick, but not too thick with a velvet like feel.

This beer is heavy and fills you up, also 11.20% so its not a beer you need to drink a whole lot of. Still though, you might find it hard to pass up another glass.

Overall this beer is one of the best stouts i'm yet to have.

4.64/5  rDev +0.4%

Something a little special for my 300th review.

A- Dark, dark brown, more or less black. Not much in the way of head: less than half an inch that quickly dissipates to a tiny wisp of lace.

S- Intense aroma of chocolate and coffee. The chocolate is quite strong with both bitter cocoa and sweet syrup coming through. The coffee is also quite prominent with a great roasty, earthy character. A nice dose of bourbon adds some richness and complexity. Really outstanding.

T- Sweet, syrupy chocolate upfront quickly segues into bold espresso and char that is slightly astringent. Bourbon adds a pleasant vanilla/ butterscotch character but is not too strong. Finish is slightly bitter with a touch of alcohol and an aftertaste of bittersweet chocolate morsels.

M- Full, rich, and velvety smooth with just enough carbonation to balance it out a little. Fantastic.

D- It's rich and fairly alcoholic, but the flavor is so good you want to keep drinking it. Great for the style.

Truly a great beer and easily one of the best stouts I've ever had. As far as bourbon barrel stouts go, this gives the Abyss a run for its money. The bourbon character is there but not too strong, which is just right for my taste. I imagine this will hold up quite well for years to come. Very highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

I received a black & beautiful tulip glass of KBS with a nice tan head. The nose gave me hints of chocolate and that to-be-expected deeply roasted malt. First sip, is that it? I wondered? This is way too smooth... second sip, mmm...

A solid year in the cooler had mellowed this fellow out quite nicely. Gone was the overwhelming bourbon and dark coffee presence I was expecting. Instead, was chill imperial stout that was remarkably drinkable for the high 11.2%ABV.

As it warmed it only became better, complex, but subdued. Sticky sweet with a nod to vanilla bean, sure, but never over-bearing. I wondered if I was really drinking a KBS(?)

I put my serving down quite quickly, said my farewells and made my exit back into the frigid darkening evening. As I stepped outside and breathed the cold January air, my taste buds were shocked to find a mouthful of ice-cold chocolate (like taking a big-gulp of a chocolate malt) suddenly forced into an awakening. It's as if this KBS had followed me outside and sucker-punched me (for no good reason other than because it could) as I walked to my car.

Lovely, I thought, as I drove back home.

4.07/5  rDev -11.9%

A really nice beer, but I think the flavors get overwhelmed by the bourbon. Not to say I don't like a good barrel aged beer, but my 2009 was overwhelmed with bourbon flavor.

A: Pouted black, thick and rich. With a 1/2 finger of brown foam

S: Sweet, roasty, and oak aromas, mingle with bourbon and strong fruits to create a complex and wonderful aroma.

T: The flavor suggested by the aroma are all there. Initially the flavor are balanced and complex. Really enjoyable. The bourbon flavors start to take over pretty quickly and are overwhelming through the finish. I enjoyed the taste, but think this would have been world class had the bourbon been in better balance with the rest of the beer.

M: Thick, but not too thick. Very nice.

D: I would drink these one at a time.

4.77/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours jet black with almost not head. A tiny bits of fizz shows up at the end.

S: Smells of sweet bourbon, coffee and vanilla. All very present in the nose, almost equally so.

T: Tastes of vanilla, chocolate and coffee up front. Ends with sweet bourbon at the end.

M: A very small amount of carbonation with a nice creamy feel.

D: Four a bourbon barreled stout, it is incredibly drinkable. I enjoyed savoring it but could drink it more in a stout/IPA fashion. If you like coffee, vanilla and bourbon flavors in equal amounts, then this is your beer. My taste buds slightly prefer a little more bourbon but liked the sweet bourbon in this one also.

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

It pours a motor oil black into my pint glass with nothing more that a cm tan head that disappeares within seconds. It looks fantastic.
The smell is so intoxicating with a strong vanilla Bourbon smell and tons of chocolate.
It tastes fucking amazing with Bourbon upfront and tons of chocolate at the end. The alcohol is present but isnt overbearing. It has a aftertaste of some Bourbon but more chocolate This is my ideal Bourbon aged stout. I wish I could get it more frequently in San Diego. Its very drinkable but I would pull a session with these one, seeing how it would only take one or two to get a good buzz.

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Decided to open this up today, on my birthday - my first one ever.

Poured into a snifter.

A - totally jet black, I hold every stout up to a light test and most of the time in my snifter I will see some shade of brown or red. Not in this baby. Pours a 1 1/2 finger head with nice cascade and nice lacing.

S - Simply fantastic. Big bold coffees shine here with a nice background of bourbon and roasted malts. Chocolate notes and a slight bit of vanilla extract beside the bourbon.

T - Coffee, chocolate, and bourbon. The coffee isn't as prominent in this beer as in Founders Breakfast Stout, but it is replaced by a very well integrated bourbon character. As it warms molasses and a bit of burnt sugar stand out more. Roasted malts and a very subtle hop note on the finish.

M - Founders just has the mouthfeel category down to a science in all of their beers. I really don't think a single brewery in the world can match them. This is just unbelievably smooth for such a high ABV, flavor heavy beer it is stunning.

D - this beer is over 11% ABV and it just seems to evaporate in my glass i'm drinking it so quickly. Fantastic job of hiding the alcohol. This beer is worth buying a case at whatever the cost, because if you have one you won't want to stop at that. Wow...

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter

A- Pours dark raisiny brown with a light golden hue. Thin layer of head dissipates and forms large bubbles on the sides of the glass. Nice lacing of small mocha colored bubbles.

S- Smells of sweet bourbon and coffee beans. Roasted chocolate hints with a distinct oak finish.

T- Wow....this is perfect in every way. Sweet bourbon up front followed by coffee notes. Tastes just like it smells and that is delicious. One of the most well-balanced beers I've ever had or will ever have.

M- Thick with little carbonation. Slightly bitter oak finish which lingers beautifully on the palate.

D- Amazing for a barrel-aged beer. So smooth and delicious. This one is right at the top of the list

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a snifter. Even from the pour, can smell the bourbon/vanilla. This is gonna be good.

Pours an obsidian black, no light gets through at all, no color hints around the edges of the glass. This is dark. No real head to speak of, a very thin wisp during the pour, but it doesn't last.

Aromas of, firstly, dark chocolate, almost like a milk shake, tons of vanilla, oak, and dark roasted coffee. And alcohol. No hops at all.

First sip is of milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee, vanilla, oak tannins, and a slight alcohol burn. No carbonic bite. No hop flavors to speak of. Finish is surprisingly short for such a big beer, with a bit of roast, chocolate, and vanilla lingering for a short visit.

Mouthfeel is medium, mouth-coating like a milk shake.

Highly drinkable, decadent, enticing. But don't try more than one at a sitting.

4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

A-Black with a dark tan head. Lacing throughout.

S- vanilla and oak hit me right away and then some bourbon follows it. Not much roastiness on this one which I think it could use. It seems like the bourbon and oak overtake the beer itself but I like it

T- I get more of that roasty malt in the taste but less vanilla and oak and more alcohol almost rubbing alcohol flavor lie it smells. Time can bring this down

M-Crazy creaminess. I love it. All that needs to be said

D- This has a good bit of heat still and needs calm down a bit but I still love it

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Dark black tan. A little sighting of a head but it dissipates rather quickly. Some lacing which I would call the color of bourbon.

S- Wow, love at first sniff. The bourbon aroma is there before you put it up to your nose. It's strong but while accompanied with the rest of the aromas along with it, it's tough to put it to your lips because the smell is so magnificent.

T- Ahhh. It's fantastic. Chocolate, toffee, malts, coffee but not alot of it. Of course the bourbon. It's just great. A true tastebud delight

M- Chewy and thick, but it's meant to be that way.

D- It's a sipper and there is no contesting that. A nightcap alternative that many people would be hard pressed to beat. I think you could turn a bourbon drinker into a KBS follower pretty easily.

4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

Review #500!

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. I'm 99% sure that this is an '09 bottle, and therefore courtesy of Thorpe429. Thanks, Mike!

A: A slow, steady pour delivers a finger of coarse dark brown foam on top of a pitch-black body. Decent retention (especially for the strength) and some decent spotty lace. A swirl of the glass revives the dark foam admirably. Simple and appropriately intimidating.

S: I couldn't be less surprised - or more happy - with how this smells. Bourbon-soaked oak, dark chocolate, coffee, molasses, and alcohol are all present in roughly equal, and equally lovely, portions. Nothing really stands out, but everything works together to deliver a practically perfect bourbon-barrel stout aroma. I only say "practically" because the alcohol plays a bit more prominent role than might be ideal. Still, this is amazing.

T: Roasted malts start things off richly, with coffee and chocolate both well-represented; the bourbon and wood come through more in the middle, adding a huge layer of intensity and complexity; bitterness and heat round things out on the finish, followed finally by a delicious roasty aftertaste of high-quality dark chocolate. Wow. This. Is. Awesome.

M: Substantial, but not quite thick, body, with moderate carbonation. Not quite as mouth-filling as I'd like, but perfectly good.

D: Incredibly delicious, but also huge enough to be a sipper.

Notes: I've had KBS before, but only fresh. As much as I loved the stronger coffee notes in that, I'm more impressed with the balance and complexity that have come out in this ~18 month old bottle. I just wish I had more in the cellar! Thanks again, Mike.

Cheers!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company