Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,379
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

1st review!

Well, it is about time I started to review beers - why not kick things off with an exceptional beer?

Poured into a Harpoon Winter Warmer Snifter

A: Pitch black, just a thin layer of dark foam after a vigorous pour. Completely opaque.

S: Coffee, oaky,

T: Roasted, charred coffee. Bourbon flavor up front, but quickly fades. Taste of black cherry pokes through the roast flavors. Waming alcohol taste at the end. Extremely complex. Roast bitterness lingers.

M: Viscous, coats your mouth, feels smooth, with some tannins felt at the back of the tongue

D: A sipper for sure, but the high abv goes down very smooth. The complexity makes me want to take another sip to see what other flavors develop as it warms.

Overall, fantastic. I don't care for the roast coffee bitterness that lingers, and there is a little too much alcohol warmth, but those are minor criticisms to an otherwise amazing beer.

FickleBeast, Apr 11, 2009

wow, everything I thought it would be and more. no need to go into the fine details, you can read that amongst the other reviewers. buy this beer if you get the chance. i thought $5.95 a 12 ounce bottle was a bit steep and though I will not buying cases anytime soon, worth every drop. buy for a special occassion. not sure if i will be able to keep my second one for another 6 months. drink up

Backer2004, Apr 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a: Very dark, not very much (dark brown) head or lacing.

s: Bourbony, oaky sweetness, coffee.

t: The coffee and chocolate flavors stand up remarkably well to the bourbon barrel aging. This beer has a lot going on, but all the flavors harmonize very well.

m: Quite thick, bordering on syrupy. Coats your throat.

d: Surprisingly easy to drink given the ABV.

hsway, Apr 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +5%

Appearance - Charcoal black color which is so dense it looks like I just drained my cars oil pan into my glass. After pouring slick and still, it sprang to life just a little bit. A few tiny bubbles shot up in the middle and around the sides, to give it an almost golden ring around the top. Very tiny bit of lacing which is ample for the style. It didn't knock my socks off, but it was right where it needed to be.

Smell - One of the most dense noses you'll find on a beer. It's so hard to cut through everything! First things first, a hefty bourbon smell blended with vanilla and chocolate. The vanilla really helps smooth out the strong bourbon flavor and compliments the coffee notes which linger in the background quite well. Also a wonderful roasted scent in there, almost burnt. Anything but a 5 here would be an injustice!

Taste & Mouthfeel - What a great choice to blend the vanilla in with a bourbon heavy brew. The two flavors marry so well that i'm sure you could have a superb beer with just those two flavors. Of course Founders is going to throw so much more at you, and blow you away with a disgustingly well crafted and drinkable brew. Sweet chocolate seems to gush out around the vanilla, and holds you up as you're about to get hit with a bitter coffee roast. It's amazing how each and every flavor is sooo deep, yet nothing is taken away from any of them. For a beer which seems to be soaked in bourbon the alcohol doesn't really seem all that much, or bothersome to me. It just makes for an excellent sipper, and a beer that is best enjoyed shared. Only complaint is that the mouthfeel is a tad thin.

Drinkability - Such an exquisite beer, but one that could take quite some time to throw back if you were to drink the whole bottle yourself. I shared mine, and it was more than enough. What a beer! I've got four more to drink as well! This one is best enjoyed if you kick back, sip it, and let the whole experience wash over you.

ryrust5301, Apr 09, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally cracking open a bottle of the 2007 vintage I have had cellared for some time.

Appearance: Pours thick and black with a slight tan head that settled out quickly. Lacing is present but light, almost likt oily residue.

Smell: WOW...bourbon to the core! First scent I get is straight up bourbon and oak barrel. There is also a sweet chocolate scent followed by deep roasted malts.

Taste: Very woody as it first enters the mouth. There is a semi sweet chocolate whisp followed by bitterness and roasted malts. There is quite an alcoholic bite to this as it goes down. This has a fair amount of vanilla at the finish as well. This almost has the finishing taste of a strong white russian.

Mouthfeel: A thick and creamy feel over the lips as it settles in your mouth. As it breaks down the alcohol stings the tastebuds and it turns a bit oily as it goes down the throat.

Drinkability: The drinkability is high. This is everything its advertised as. Its definitely packing the bourbon punch. This is not for the casual beer drinker. Actually this beer is way to harsh for most people. It's extremely unique and oh so tasty, but you better split it with a friend. Either that or do not operate heavy machinary after drinking. This beer will knock you on your ass.

ShrLSU, Apr 09, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

This brew pours black as night, damn near opaque, with a slow forming dark tan head that laces the glass like an IPA. Aroma is at first a strong roasted coffee, like a Starbucks in the morning; but that gives way to a more powerful chocolate flavor, bitter and dark like a Russian chocolate bar, also lots of sweetness there, malty like cocoa malt and caramel, some faint hints of vanilla. Taste is thick and meaty, espresso and burnt hot cocoa dominate, nice bit or warming alcohol there that lets you know this is a big brew not to be trifled with. Aftertaste has some of the bourbon characteristics, very woody.

This is a very complex brew, as any RIS, eisbock or barley wine could be. A brilliant beer that must be experienced.

saintwarrick, Apr 08, 2009

A: Deep Dark Black with a thin almost orange head that disappeared fast
S: The most noteable aroama is black coffee
T: The first taste to hit my tounge is coffee followed by a very slight hint of Bourbon.
M: On the med-heavy side. Very sticky
D: This beer is good as a sipper. I dotn think I would enjoy more than 1 in a sitting. Overall I feel this is a good beer but not worth the price tag. I bought a few extra bottles and plan on letting them age 6-12months.

dondeez21, Apr 08, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is such a treat to run across. Got a few bottles at the Buckeye Beer Engine's Wood Aged Beer Festival (all of the stock they had was gone within the first hour). Took a few home, but had one at the bar. The pour is dark black - not as much of the toffee colored head that the non-barrel version has, but a little nonetheless. The nose has a ton of chocolate, with bourbon and vanilla coming to the forefront as the beer warms and relaxes. A bit of coffee roast in there as well. Taste is chocolate, coffee, and the nice bourbon kick. This is heaven - there are other BB stouts I enjoy a bit more, as I am a bourbon in my beer guy, but this is so balanced and smooth. An world class offering from Founders, and a treat that anyone should splurge for if given the chance.

jampics2, Apr 07, 2009

Extra special thanks goes out to Beerman207 for hooking me up with this - a very generous BA indeed! I'm sure someone else has also mentioned this, but the ABV listed on the site is 10% but the 2009 bottles have it listed as 11.2%. Poured from the bottle into a trusty pint glass. Overall, I feel like I was a little tougher on this beer based upon all of the hype about it. I'd like to note that this is definitely an outstanding product, not quite sure it lives up to everything that was being said, but yes, amazing nonethelss.

Appearance: Pours thick and black, pretty viscous but it doesn't seem quite as dense as the standard Breakfast Stout, but it's still thick. No light is coming through at all, exactly what I would expect. Very modest 1 finger dark tan head appears after a pretty hard pour, but it disappears just as quickly as it formed and falls to a thin uneven looking skim floating at the top. A fair amount of lacing, but on the swirl it has a very brief presence, and there is a much more present oily residue that sticks readily to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Deep dark malts, bitter-sweet chocolate and a pretty fair presence of alcohol. I'd like to note that this is an exceptional smell, but again, very reminiscent of the standard Breakfast Stout. Very good, but not making me think anything different or special about this beer yet.

Taste: Very good, and there is a definitely a nice bit of woodiness in the flavor, but still the dominant flavors are same as the scents that I picked up in the nose - strong dark/toasty malt presence and the bittersweet chocolate. The beer is running a little hot as well - alcohol is very present and I've gotta believe that some time in a cellar would do it worlds of good to cool down.

Mouthfeel: A little lighter than I thought it would be, a bit watery even. Overall it's still a pretty chewy beer, but I guess I was expecting something a bit more substantive. Overall, still pretty good in this department. My mouth is coated nicely initially, but the coating is really outdone by a strong drying and warm burn from the alcohol coming from the chest and throat as I exhale.

Drinkability: While it's outstanding, I don't think I'd want to sit through more than one of these in a night. It's a bit heavy (as stouts tend to be, duh...) and the ABV is pretty high. A very nice accompaniment to a desert, or may even just be a great desert on its own.

bamadog, Apr 07, 2009

After falling in love with a fourpack of this last year, I was anxious to try this year's offering. I finally got my chance at a bar last night after failing to find any at all in the stores this year.

This bar offers a lot of very nice beers, but like most bars I've visited everything is served ice cold. I can't envision drinking this beer at anything much lower than room temperature, but I had to make do. I had it served out of the fridge in a Rochefort glass.

This year's brew is stronger than last, at a whopping 11.5%ABV. Perhaps the temperature interfered with the flavor profile too much, but the coffee flavor was very overwhelming, and made it nearly impossible to discern the flavor acquired by aging the beer in bourbon barrels.

It was a good brew, but seemed a lot less special to me than it did last year in terms of flavor. With no carbonation and such a strong coffee character, it resembled iced coffee more than beer. The one thing that remains the same is the effect of the beer on me. I have had stronger beers than this before, yet Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout feels as if it is the single most intoxicating beer I have ever consumed. Before the end of the glass it was taking a strong hold on me (granted, I'd had a glass of Bell's Two Hearted before this) with a boozy and virtually narcotic effect.

All things considered, this is still an amazing, world-class stout, but last year's was better, not to mention less expensive as well.

The appearance was thick, dark black and almost oily. Poured without much caution straight down into the glass rendered no head, and not more than a few tiny bubbles. The crisp coffee flavor made the brew a bit more drinkable and helped to overcome the extremely thick mouthfeel, as did the refrigeration. I would like to try this at room temperature on Friday if they still have some, to see if that makes a difference.

nesta, Apr 06, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -12.3%

The concept of this beer is really intriguing - and the oak bourbon barrels really leave their mark. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much. The first 4 ounces were nice - the rest was slow. There's a really strong presence of oak and bourbon which, if you like bourbon, is a really nice change from most beers.

I wouldn't purchase this beer again but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try it. Founder's remains one of my favorite brewers and this is certainly a very well executed beer... just not the one for me. I'll stick to their porter, thank you.

msolar, Apr 06, 2009
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle in to my favorite Stone Ruination pint glass.

Pours bitch black that cannot be seen through even when it is held directly up to a light source. No head to speak of, just a thin dark brown lacing at the top.

Very strong coffee beans up front. I would even say that it smells more along the lines of espresso beans. Dark chocolate, and alcohol phenols stand out significantly as well. I can detect breaded malts of course the bourbon barreled aroma in the undertone. Doesn't stand out as much as I thought it would, but it is still a great smelling brew.

The taste falls right in line with the nose. Pungent coffee bean flavors will attack the pallet right away. Dark chocolate, vanilla, and breaded malts come through as well. The bourbon bourbon barrel flavor makes the alcohol phenols stand out almost as significantly as the coffee bean flavors.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied, smooth and complex. There's a lot going on with this beer, enough so that I couldn't completely figure it out.

An excellent offering by Founders. I was expecting this beer to be highly overrated, but I feel that it lives up to the hype.

KBoudreau66, Apr 05, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

Rec'd in a trade with imperialking. Thank you so much for the opportunity to try this BA top ten selection!

Appearance: Dark brown with a deep mocha 2 finger foam head. Little head retention but some lacing.

Smell: Fairly complex yet I can tell all of these wonderful notes will come together superbly with time. A touch of alcohol, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, etc.

Taste: Vanilla up front, giving way to coffee then chocolate, finished with a touch of hops and alcohol. Not boozy or really hot but a touch warm I'd say.

Mouthfeel: thinner than I expected....medium to med-full bodied.

Drinkability: Good considering its 10% abv and medium to med-heavy body.

This is a fantastic brew but as a friend told me, I suspect it will only get better with 1-2 years on it.

koopa, Apr 04, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.
Appearance: I don't think even Superman could see through this stuff! you basically just see your reflection in the glass. Darkest brown/black. Head is a deep brown turning to lighter as it settles down
Smell: Straight bittersweet chocolate smell, followed by bourbon, coffee, and alcohol
Taste: I keep reading complex from others but for me it really is just the chocolate, bourbon, and coffee I taste. Very pleasant though! Taste lingers in the mouth for a long time
Mouthfeel: Not as heavy as I would have expected. I liked it though
Drinkability: Definitely drinkable, but not something you can drink mulitple glasses of. You'd be drunk and broke in a short period of time!

kbutler1, Apr 04, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

I tasted this beer for the first time this past Thursday while waiting for a take-out order to be filled at Sunset Grill & Tap. I poured the beer into a medium snifter/tulip shaped glass which was the perfect size. The temperature was a bit too cold so I planned on letting it sit and or warming with my hands for a bit. I tried to achieve a modest head but couldn't get anything significant, perhaps by design as this is not intended for this type of beer or particular Imperial Stout (A=4.5).

Not much in the way of aroma, perhaps an actual snifter as opposed to the tulip shaped rim would have concentrated the aroma more acutely (S=4.5).

Taste was incredible. Complex, dynamic and rich. Espresso, bourbon, dark chocolate and oak on the palate. Perfect amount of bite on the finish which was extremely long (T=5.0).

Mouthfeel was perfectly thick and velvety; coated the whole palate (M=5.0).

With such a high ABV (11.2) this beer drank incredibly smooth. I had to try very hard to drink slowly as I was so enamored with the depth of flavors and mouthfeel (D=5.0).

Overall, one of the finest, if not the finest beers I've ever had.

shortsqueeze, Apr 04, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: dark brown in color with a short 1/2" tan colored head that breaks down quickly. Some spots of lace stick to the glass during the session.

Smell: loads of roasted malts, vanilla, dark chocolate, and some softer espresso tones leap from the glass into the nose.

Taste: roasted malts, big vanilla flavor, dark chocolate, prunes, hints of bourbon, and a nice bitterness. Alcohol is mildly noticeable. Superbly balanced flavors here.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Smooth and thick feeling throughout. Long aftertaste as the flavors stick to the tongue and last awhile.

Drinkability: this beer goes down really smooth, but at the high alcohol levels it limits you in a session. But this is a treat that should be enjoyed slowly. The high cost will also limit your intake, but it is worth the money for this beer.

Gavage, Apr 04, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

Wow, haven't had this in about two years and it's as great as I remember it! Obtained a couple bottles in a trade with Yetiman420...latest batch Bottled: 02/17/09. Thanks a bunch Chris!

It pours a dark ass reddish-brown with a small cocoa colored 1/4" foamy cap. The head dies quickly leaving only the dark liquid behind. And a ton of aroma...yeah, thick, rich chunky coffee and alot more. Beautiful fresh black roasty coffee with notes of caramel, bourbon, dark sweet chocolate and a nice backing of 11.2% ABV. Smells very sweet and roasty, pungent and potent...awesome aroma.

The flavor is unsurpassed...exactly as it smells...rich, roasty and strong with perfect balance. Super sweet in the start and ultra bitter in the finish. It's hard to believe there is only 70 IBU's here...seems more like 120, some serious bitterness in the end. Man do I love the taste of this big ass brew. This is what I was looking for when first tasted DarkLord and the Abyss...this one wins hands down.

Big and rich in the mouth, full of body yet spirit like with it's high alcohol. The bitterness lingers and the warmness grows long after the swallow. Supremely drinkable...possibly the best bourbon BA Imperial Stout ever. I even prefer it to the also great GI BCS. A must try if this is your style preference. I want more!

scottoale, Apr 04, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A = I think this is the stuff that pours out of my Nissan when I pull out the oil drain bolt. Thin brown head dies quick, little lacing.

S = Smell of bourbon dominant for me. Coffee in the background.

T = Bourbon dominant more for me than some other reviews here. Coffee up front and the bourbon sweetness takes over. Very intense bourbon and sugary sweetness. Alcohol is pretty pronounced toward the end. I think this would flourish under a year's cellaring. A bit rough and raw right now. A year would likely bump this to a 5. My other bottle is going into the cellar for sure.

M = Huge mouthfeel here. Thick and sticky sweet. It gets all over you and never lets go. Very intense.

D = This can't possibly be considered drinkable. Mega sweet and boozy, a slow sipper for sure. More than one of these would put me down for the count and leave my mouth numb.

Overall, I have to say I enjoyed the regular breakfast stout a bit better, probably because it was more easily enjoyable. However, I appreciate this creation and look forward to an aged taste. This is one intense beer.

JonMich13, Apr 04, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to ralflord for the trade!

Poured from one of the "old" bottles, with the name all spelled out, into a standard pint glass. Nice thick black presentation with a very thin head of cocoa brown. No highlights except for around the rim.

Smell is goood! The bourbon is up front, but not overpowering. One of the subtler bourbon scents I've had in a bourbon-barrel stout. Maple syrup, coffee, chocolate & vanilla -- it's all in there.

The taste is right in hand with the aroma, though I'd say the bourbon is even a little more "subdued" (speaking relatively here, folks). The coffee flavors are more prominent, roasty & dark, with an increasing alcohol presence. Lately I'm starting to notice a "crayon" taste in coffee stouts, which is definitely showing up here.

Mouthfeel is thick & satisfying, like a drink of boozy brownie. As strong as this is, it's relatively low ABV for a bourbon-barrel stout, & I think I could down two of these in a relaxed, stretched out evening. Dunno if it's the novelty of the style, but I love me some bourbon-barrel stouts! I would put this just behind GIBCS, & this one leads in drinkability.

OneDropSoup, Apr 04, 2009

I almost don't want to write this review since it will break the 666 number of reviews. There's a reason why this beer seems to be advocated by satan. This is the kind of stuff people leave their families for. My buddy and I accidently stumbled on it in Weymouth, MA after looking for the stuff for weeks. It did not disappoint. It pours like crude oil and has a very warm and inviting smell. The complexity of this beer is through the roof. The bourbon barrels give it a beautiful vanilla taste that's mixed with coffee and chocolate. Although it's thicker than the regular breakfast stout, somehow it's smoother and has a mellow but lingering aftertaste. It's really amazing how this beer can be so mellow and subtle, yet so bold at the same time. I only hope I can find more of this stuff. The ABV was 11.3%, not 10%

abriggs1, Apr 03, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -10.6%

12 ounce poured into a KBS snifter.

A - Poured opaque black, with a very wispy mocha head. Finished as a ring around, with a little lacing.

S - Intense coffee smell with a slight bourbon smell slipped in.

T - Very intense coffee flavor, with hints of bourbon to finish.

M - Thick and mouthcoating.

D - A sipper.

tedpeer, Apr 03, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle into snifter. Thanks to Dev (buckeyesox) for this one!

Pours the obligatory opaque black with some spotty lacing on the side of the glass from the pour. No noticeable head. Sticky, but not particularly viscous.

Nose is interesting - big espresso, brown sugar, light vanilla and bourbon, some baker's chocolate down deep. Espresso is the foundation that everything else seems to wrap around, the rest of the aromas are complementary. Just a bit boozey and rough around the edges. Really nice, like a super dark bourbon-fudge cake soaked in espresso.

Taste also orients itself around the dark espresso note in the center. A bit boozey up front, with notes of bourbon, vanilla, cocoa, and brown sugar wrapping around the espresso core; both the espresso and the bourbon seem to have a rough edge to them. Some alcohol bite at the back of the throat. A nice beer, but definitely feels a bit young and green at this point. Could use a bit of time to mature.

Mouthfeel is thick, very lightly carbonated, and with noticable prickliness from the alcohol.

For what it is, it's nicely drinkable. Still, would take the right set of circumstances to really want to down more than one of these giants.

JohnQVegas, Apr 03, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +5%

When I cracked open the beer, I instantly thought it smelled like Founders breakfast stout with a tad bit of bourbon behind it, so that means, it's fucking awesome. The oak, bourbon flavour comes through in the background with a hint of alcohol as well. A chocolate flavour comes through the nose at the end, which is quite pleasing. The nose is simply ace. The colour is black as pitch, with a decent sized brown/tan head, that dissipates fairly quickly. I'd say, the only down fall with this beer and the breakfast stout is the head because I want it to stick around longer.

When drinking this beer, all I can think is, "wow!" This is truly and utterly the most tasty beer I've ever had. The coffee bitterness comes through initially, but a huge beautiful dark chocolate flavour shines through at the end. Somewhere in the middle the bourbon flavour mingles, making the two flavours that much better. There is such a great balance to the beer, that all I can do sit back, sip and smile. There is a tad bit of alcohol that comes through, but that is to be expected with an 11% beer.

The mouthfeel on the beer is thick like motor oil, but this adds to the chocolate flavour that lingers in your mouth. This is a beer that can be sipped on all night long, mainly because the flavour is so balanced. Best beer I've had to date.

swizzlenuts, Apr 03, 2009
4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to prototypic for this, one hell of an "extra"

A- Viscous opaque black, thin wispy head went away as fast as it appeared.

S- Lots of chocolate and coffee aromas. Very powerful and assertive.

T- Alot of the harsh aromas in the nose mellow out in the taste. The chocolate and malt flavors are generaly dominate, but coffee is evident as well. The bourbon sneaks in the suprisingly light and smooth finish.

M- Wonderfully thick and viscous.

D- Disspite the strength this goes down without a fight.

A fantastic stout by any measure. It is even more enjoyable if you love coffee. Personally it falls a little short of the hype. Still worth doing what you can to get your hands on some.

Pauly2X, Apr 03, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -3.7%

Well, I must say that I got sticker shock when I picked up the 4 pack of this stuff today. Party Source in Bellview, KY: 4 pack of 12 oz bottles: $23.95! OUCH! But, you only go around once in this life so....

I poured the contents into my trusty pint glass. I noticed right away that it would take a rough pour to produce any head.... so I raised the bottle up and was gratified with a healthy inch of tight tan foam. The beer was as black as the night and you couldn't even see through it when held to a bright light source. The head slowly dwindled down to a thick cap over time, but left healthy stickage down the side of the glass as I drank.

The smell was very apparent and nice! Lot's of coffee, bourbon, chocolate all swirling around.... very nice!

The taste: Very surprising.... I could definately pick up on the bourbon barrel aging.... big bourbon taste right up front. But, the taste was quickly tempered by some nice rich coffee and sweet roasted malty taste.

Mouthfeel: Here is where this beer excels. This is a thick, chewey beer.... just like I like it. Gotta give it a "5".

Drinkability: This is definately a sipper.... but ya gotta try this stuff.... just bite the bullet and go for it. (Was I ripped off at 6 bucks a bottle?). I at least had to do it once. I probably won't beat a path to the beer store to pay $6 a bottle again.... but I HAD TO TRY IT. I was glad I did.

TheBierBand, Apr 02, 2009