Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,383
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

My first review on this site since moving over from RB, and it's for one of the finest brews I've had the pleasure of ever having.

I've been eagerly awaiting KBS' arrival ever since I found out that Founders was coming to NJ, and I surely wasn't disappointed. But just finding this beer alone, was an experience in itself. I traversed for dozens of miles across the state, asked around, begged and I fortunately finally found a retailer where I could purchase an entire 4-pack.

I poured an '09 bottle delicately into a snifter and it yielded a classic, yet subtlety striking, 'midnight mud'-brown typical of a fine Imperial Stout with a razor-thin burnt sienna head, that quickly subsidized.

The aroma was strong, yet complex. I noticed the coffee right away and then the chocolate. Next, mild bourbon danced in the background, followed by just the smallest hint of vanilla.

I knew I was in for a treat, as soon as it touched my lips. I would say the coffee and bourbon are the most distinct and crisp flavors which I noticed right away. The chocolate in the mid-pallete definitely harmonizes those two strikingly different flavors. The aftertaste definitely had the slight oak burn with a bit of smoke, which is soothed over by a gentle, but enjoyable vanilla. Overall, extremely complex and each flavor complimented the other.

In my mouth it felt a bit heavy, but was incredibly silky and not and smooth as it whirled around my palette, but completely lacking an oily characteristic. I savored every second of drinking it, and I did not want it to end, which is remarkable for a beer at this ABV.

Overall, an American-made masterpiece, and I can't wait to see how this ages.

patmcd, Apr 14, 2009
4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

After coming up empty handed in my search for this brew, I was delighted that Greg at the Trion had secured a few for his frequent customers to try. Poured an intimidating dark red, almost black with a milky chocolate head that retained forever. Aroma was bourbon, coffee, chocolate and roast malts and it was good. Same with the taste, this is a monster of a beer. Dense and chewy, with all those stout flavors amped up to an incredible level. As it warmed the tastes continued to change with coffee, bourbon, and the malts being front and center at different times during the experience. It was a little sweet and I can't imagine having more then one of these. Honestly, to me, I like the Founders Breakfast Stout a little better, just because I find it more drinkable. If I had to have just one more sip of a Founders Stout, this would be the one, but if I was to have one to go back to over and over again, the breakfast stout would take the day.

SwiftyMcBeer, Apr 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

quite a strange pour. viscus at hell. no head. even when poured aggressively. a small layer that gives the brown tint off the opaque stout color. smell is fantastic. no alcohol really. chocolate, coffee grounds, tobacco, vanilla, coconut sweetness, caramel, earth, woodiness. as for the taste. the bourbon comes forward. not boozy really. quite simple as bourbon can be, some acidity, some vanilla. not a cheap linger afterward. light woodiness, light smokiness, well rounded and dense in appearance but not as dense as expected. quite smooth. finish of some sort of mocha cappuccino assortment but exceptionally sweeter. not as punchy as the goose island. less forward, less dessert like...

as a comparison to another favorite american double. if you haven't had the Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe) get off your ass. its a great beer without the bourbon. excellent example of the style without any funny business. yet there is nothing that makes a beer better than a caring sense of storage.

rtepiak, Apr 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

Even pouring it straight down the center of the glass there's close to zero head and, as one would expect, no lacing either. Completely black, seems to be the "look" these sort of beers seek. The bourbon inspired vanilla, caramel evident from the first sniff, the nose also features espresso bean, prunes and black raisins, there's a slight suggestion of flowers but this may very well be more diverse bourbon-inspired scents. Full-bodied, here the trademark Founders smooth carbonation comes in to help you breathe in the face of its sheer density and mass. Avalanche of roasted coffee, bitter dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla bean and burnt grains, followed on by black licorice, orange glaze. There is a noticeable alcoholic burn but it only distracts in a minor fashion. The prune, plum, raisin fruit a touch buried here. As you'd expect, you'd need a hose to wash this out of your mouth, long finish not close to describing it. A testament to intensity and depth more than to complexity.

farrago, Apr 14, 2009
4.55/5  rDev -1.5%

A-Rich,lustrous black with a thick, creamy burnt khaki head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice lace.

S-Rich chocolate and espresso notes overlying lighter bourbon notes. Maybe the nitro pour reduced the bourbon aroma or maybe when the beer is fresh the bouron notes are diminished. Regardless the aroma was quite nice.

T-Rich, roasted dark coffee and chocolate with subtle bourbon notes to remind you what you are drinking. The flavours meld nicely to form a complex and delectable brew.

M-Medium body, velvety smooth, silky...absolutely heavenly! Good lingering coffee/chocolate bitterness and dry oak notes.

D-10% ABV---who cares! Bourbon infused chocolate coffee....d'uh, how could this get much better? A sinfully delicious beverage that most certainly could get me into serious trouble. Plus, to have it on nitro, nice touch Brass Rail. As far as I know only the Founders pub also served it this way!

Deuane, Apr 13, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

KBS pours like thick, black motor oil with a dark brown head. The nose has lots of roasted coffee up front with some dark chocolate and bourbon notes.

The flavor has coffee also, with roasty chocolate notes. There is a hint of the alcohol but not as much as expected. There is a bit of bourbon flavor in there. I ate a piece of chocolate while drinking the beer, which really seemed to bring out the woody flavors in the beer. The mouthfeel is nice and thick with low carbonation.

Overall, this is a very complex beer and I can see why it's rated so high though if you're not a coffee fan (I'm not) then it may not totally be for you.

Spidey13, Apr 13, 2009
4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer lives up to the hype. I supposedly got two from one of the fifteen cases in my state right now.

Pours pitch black, like spent oil, and not much head, no doubt due to the gravity and viscosity. Not much of a bouquet as expected.

The taste is everything you would hope from this type of beer: complex silky layers of deep chocolate, vanilla, and roasted coffee. A boozy hint as to its abv comes with the pull.

I am consistently impressed by Founders and, while this is no different, it goes to the top of the list in my opinion.

chiral3, Apr 13, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -14.9%

I have been saving trying this one for a month or so. Easter was the day. Poured a very dark black with no head. Definite whisky nose with some coffee. Great flavor, coffee, chocolate. Very thick mouthfeel. Was a sipper for sure and I think one at a time is enough. Thats good for me since I paid so much for it. Great RIS!

flexinwext, Apr 12, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

This year's batch picked up from the brewery.

A - Pours black and viscous with no head to speak of even as I poured more aggressively at the end. It could definitely use more head but still beautiful.

S - Coffee and bourbon. Definitely a good breakfast. Slight malt quality to it. Time for my catch phrase. I wish they made candles that smelled like this.

T - Bourbon, chocolate and coffee. The coffee is by far the strongest flavor. The oak comes through in the aftertaste followed by a bit of burn. Not too much burn though. The lingering taste is just amazing.

M - Thick. Very Nice.

D - I'm trying not to house this thing. Must... be... strong. The high ABV is definitely not a problem here. Well hidden.

This is a great beer. Well worth the 5 hour drive to get a case. Funny though, I remember previous years relieving my neuralgia.

infestaxion, Apr 12, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Brewandbbq for an '08 bottle sent to me quite some time ago. The '09 I sampled directly afterwards is compliments of me.

For sh*ts and giggles sake, we're going to keep up with the tasting of ridonculous beers today. We did the Westys, now let's do the KBS.

Pours totally black with a thin tan head. Nose is whiskey, yes. Vanilla and boozy tones. Flavor is whiskey tones. Heavily influenced by the barrels, yes. I want to say I feel like it is interfering with the original Breakfast Stouts character. Feel is smooth on liquid and carbonation is slightly lower. This is nice and I certainly don't dislike it, but like I was saying: why mess with a damn good recipe?

For comparisons sake, I found the younger bottle of KBS much less "Kentucky" than Breakfast Stout.

RblWthACoz, Apr 12, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -9.1%

No date on the bottle, purchased in April 2009. 11.2% abv and 70 IBU's.

A - About a quarter inch dark tan chocolately head with a pitch black body. Thin sticky lace after an aggressive swirl.

S - The nose is amazing, a powerful smell of dark chocolate up front, followed by espresso and a hint of bourbon. Another swirl and smell gives way to even more bourbon and some smokiness.

T - Chocolate, espresso, but mostly bourbon in the first mouthfull. The finish is an intense roasted bitterness. Alcohol creeps up on you and let's you know it's there. Definitely not too noticeable for 11.2%.

M - Just enough carbonation with an extremely creamy mouthfeel. The roasted bitterness lingers on the tongue for quite some time.

D - I really like this beer, but that's the difference between this and some other top notch imperial stouts I've tried. This beer makes me want another sip, but at the same time leaves me wanting more. I actually enjoy the regular Breakfast Stout a lot more.

AlcahueteJ, Apr 12, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

Had to edit this one: Big thanks to madtowndmb1 for helping me acquire this beer, much appreciated man, thanks a million!

Pours black, with an inviting coffee colored topper of foam, about a half an inch high, which drops pretty quickly, leaving a few bubbles here and there.

Vanilla, chocolate, and whisky are prominent in the nose, along with an underlying roasted quality. If the taste can back up the aroma, this should be good.

Wow! So much going on, it's a little overwhelming. Roasted grains, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, a rounded bourbon whisky flavor. I get some brown sugar in there as well. Coffee bitterness comes on strong at the end, and more so as it warms. Pleased to note that I'm not really noticing any apparent alcohol. Also, as I'm sure others have previously noted, my bottle ('09) reads ABV of 11.2%, while BA has it listed above at 10%.

Mouthfeel is full as full can be! Silky smooth, bitingly bitter, and definitely decadent.

I'm not a big fan of hype. I've sought out beer after beer, only to be let down and depressed. This is not the case here. This one is worth it. I'm about 5 ounces in, and I've got a nice warming feeling going on. I can't wait to try one of these in a year or two, although I seriously doubt that I will be able to wait that long. Cheers!

dancinwillie, Apr 11, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Dark and thick like coffee, a small amount of dark brown head..

S: WOW!! Huge amount of coffee, and chocolate.. sweet, sugary and something else in there.. I could smell this all day.. hmmm KBS scented candles?

T: Tart at first.. Lots of coffee flavor, gets a bit bitter at the end.. This is one big beer. very strong coffee.. Not a lot of bourbon flavor in there... :( Still very good.

M: Textbook definition of: Chewy. Thick and sludgy.. damn that's good drinking.

D: Definitely a good beer. Worth all the hype.. probably not, but it is good. I am going to do a side by side with GI BCS in a minute, and we'll see which I prefer.

Notes from a 2010 bottle: A bit more oak and bourbon in the flavor, and it seems a bit more mellow. Nice nice. I don't think this years is as thick, no need to change it's scores, but very nice overall. Glad I picked up this years model. 4-7-2010

Beejay, Apr 11, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours from a 12oz bottle into a KBS glass I picked up at the Founders Brewhouse

appearance: pours the blackest of black. very thick. it's like looking into a black hole. absolutely no light excapes. the small head quickly disappears (which pulls down the appearance)

smell: dark chocolate with a hint of coffee and vanilla. small bit of warming on the nose from the bourbon

taste: same as smell, dark chocolate and bitter coffee. the oak adds a small vanilla aftertaste which is quickly followed by the alcohol burn

mouthfeel: thick, low amount of carbonation which is welcome with a large stout.

drinkability: i'm not sure if i could drink an entire 4-pack in one sitting due to the complexity of this brew. but i really enjoy this. this is an ideal brew to have while sitting inside on a cold, snowy night. no doubt if i'm able to get this one again i11 will not hesitate to pull the trigger. yummy!!

jcompton, Apr 11, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

1st review!

Well, it is about time I started to review beers - why not kick things off with an exceptional beer?

Poured into a Harpoon Winter Warmer Snifter

A: Pitch black, just a thin layer of dark foam after a vigorous pour. Completely opaque.

S: Coffee, oaky,

T: Roasted, charred coffee. Bourbon flavor up front, but quickly fades. Taste of black cherry pokes through the roast flavors. Waming alcohol taste at the end. Extremely complex. Roast bitterness lingers.

M: Viscous, coats your mouth, feels smooth, with some tannins felt at the back of the tongue

D: A sipper for sure, but the high abv goes down very smooth. The complexity makes me want to take another sip to see what other flavors develop as it warms.

Overall, fantastic. I don't care for the roast coffee bitterness that lingers, and there is a little too much alcohol warmth, but those are minor criticisms to an otherwise amazing beer.

FickleBeast, Apr 11, 2009

wow, everything I thought it would be and more. no need to go into the fine details, you can read that amongst the other reviewers. buy this beer if you get the chance. i thought $5.95 a 12 ounce bottle was a bit steep and though I will not buying cases anytime soon, worth every drop. buy for a special occassion. not sure if i will be able to keep my second one for another 6 months. drink up

Backer2004, Apr 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a: Very dark, not very much (dark brown) head or lacing.

s: Bourbony, oaky sweetness, coffee.

t: The coffee and chocolate flavors stand up remarkably well to the bourbon barrel aging. This beer has a lot going on, but all the flavors harmonize very well.

m: Quite thick, bordering on syrupy. Coats your throat.

d: Surprisingly easy to drink given the ABV.

hsway, Apr 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +5%

Appearance - Charcoal black color which is so dense it looks like I just drained my cars oil pan into my glass. After pouring slick and still, it sprang to life just a little bit. A few tiny bubbles shot up in the middle and around the sides, to give it an almost golden ring around the top. Very tiny bit of lacing which is ample for the style. It didn't knock my socks off, but it was right where it needed to be.

Smell - One of the most dense noses you'll find on a beer. It's so hard to cut through everything! First things first, a hefty bourbon smell blended with vanilla and chocolate. The vanilla really helps smooth out the strong bourbon flavor and compliments the coffee notes which linger in the background quite well. Also a wonderful roasted scent in there, almost burnt. Anything but a 5 here would be an injustice!

Taste & Mouthfeel - What a great choice to blend the vanilla in with a bourbon heavy brew. The two flavors marry so well that i'm sure you could have a superb beer with just those two flavors. Of course Founders is going to throw so much more at you, and blow you away with a disgustingly well crafted and drinkable brew. Sweet chocolate seems to gush out around the vanilla, and holds you up as you're about to get hit with a bitter coffee roast. It's amazing how each and every flavor is sooo deep, yet nothing is taken away from any of them. For a beer which seems to be soaked in bourbon the alcohol doesn't really seem all that much, or bothersome to me. It just makes for an excellent sipper, and a beer that is best enjoyed shared. Only complaint is that the mouthfeel is a tad thin.

Drinkability - Such an exquisite beer, but one that could take quite some time to throw back if you were to drink the whole bottle yourself. I shared mine, and it was more than enough. What a beer! I've got four more to drink as well! This one is best enjoyed if you kick back, sip it, and let the whole experience wash over you.

ryrust5301, Apr 09, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally cracking open a bottle of the 2007 vintage I have had cellared for some time.

Appearance: Pours thick and black with a slight tan head that settled out quickly. Lacing is present but light, almost likt oily residue.

Smell: WOW...bourbon to the core! First scent I get is straight up bourbon and oak barrel. There is also a sweet chocolate scent followed by deep roasted malts.

Taste: Very woody as it first enters the mouth. There is a semi sweet chocolate whisp followed by bitterness and roasted malts. There is quite an alcoholic bite to this as it goes down. This has a fair amount of vanilla at the finish as well. This almost has the finishing taste of a strong white russian.

Mouthfeel: A thick and creamy feel over the lips as it settles in your mouth. As it breaks down the alcohol stings the tastebuds and it turns a bit oily as it goes down the throat.

Drinkability: The drinkability is high. This is everything its advertised as. Its definitely packing the bourbon punch. This is not for the casual beer drinker. Actually this beer is way to harsh for most people. It's extremely unique and oh so tasty, but you better split it with a friend. Either that or do not operate heavy machinary after drinking. This beer will knock you on your ass.

ShrLSU, Apr 09, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6.7%

This brew pours black as night, damn near opaque, with a slow forming dark tan head that laces the glass like an IPA. Aroma is at first a strong roasted coffee, like a Starbucks in the morning; but that gives way to a more powerful chocolate flavor, bitter and dark like a Russian chocolate bar, also lots of sweetness there, malty like cocoa malt and caramel, some faint hints of vanilla. Taste is thick and meaty, espresso and burnt hot cocoa dominate, nice bit or warming alcohol there that lets you know this is a big brew not to be trifled with. Aftertaste has some of the bourbon characteristics, very woody.

This is a very complex brew, as any RIS, eisbock or barley wine could be. A brilliant beer that must be experienced.

saintwarrick, Apr 08, 2009

A: Deep Dark Black with a thin almost orange head that disappeared fast
S: The most noteable aroama is black coffee
T: The first taste to hit my tounge is coffee followed by a very slight hint of Bourbon.
M: On the med-heavy side. Very sticky
D: This beer is good as a sipper. I dotn think I would enjoy more than 1 in a sitting. Overall I feel this is a good beer but not worth the price tag. I bought a few extra bottles and plan on letting them age 6-12months.

dondeez21, Apr 08, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is such a treat to run across. Got a few bottles at the Buckeye Beer Engine's Wood Aged Beer Festival (all of the stock they had was gone within the first hour). Took a few home, but had one at the bar. The pour is dark black - not as much of the toffee colored head that the non-barrel version has, but a little nonetheless. The nose has a ton of chocolate, with bourbon and vanilla coming to the forefront as the beer warms and relaxes. A bit of coffee roast in there as well. Taste is chocolate, coffee, and the nice bourbon kick. This is heaven - there are other BB stouts I enjoy a bit more, as I am a bourbon in my beer guy, but this is so balanced and smooth. An world class offering from Founders, and a treat that anyone should splurge for if given the chance.

jampics2, Apr 07, 2009

Extra special thanks goes out to Beerman207 for hooking me up with this - a very generous BA indeed! I'm sure someone else has also mentioned this, but the ABV listed on the site is 10% but the 2009 bottles have it listed as 11.2%. Poured from the bottle into a trusty pint glass. Overall, I feel like I was a little tougher on this beer based upon all of the hype about it. I'd like to note that this is definitely an outstanding product, not quite sure it lives up to everything that was being said, but yes, amazing nonethelss.

Appearance: Pours thick and black, pretty viscous but it doesn't seem quite as dense as the standard Breakfast Stout, but it's still thick. No light is coming through at all, exactly what I would expect. Very modest 1 finger dark tan head appears after a pretty hard pour, but it disappears just as quickly as it formed and falls to a thin uneven looking skim floating at the top. A fair amount of lacing, but on the swirl it has a very brief presence, and there is a much more present oily residue that sticks readily to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Deep dark malts, bitter-sweet chocolate and a pretty fair presence of alcohol. I'd like to note that this is an exceptional smell, but again, very reminiscent of the standard Breakfast Stout. Very good, but not making me think anything different or special about this beer yet.

Taste: Very good, and there is a definitely a nice bit of woodiness in the flavor, but still the dominant flavors are same as the scents that I picked up in the nose - strong dark/toasty malt presence and the bittersweet chocolate. The beer is running a little hot as well - alcohol is very present and I've gotta believe that some time in a cellar would do it worlds of good to cool down.

Mouthfeel: A little lighter than I thought it would be, a bit watery even. Overall it's still a pretty chewy beer, but I guess I was expecting something a bit more substantive. Overall, still pretty good in this department. My mouth is coated nicely initially, but the coating is really outdone by a strong drying and warm burn from the alcohol coming from the chest and throat as I exhale.

Drinkability: While it's outstanding, I don't think I'd want to sit through more than one of these in a night. It's a bit heavy (as stouts tend to be, duh...) and the ABV is pretty high. A very nice accompaniment to a desert, or may even just be a great desert on its own.

bamadog, Apr 07, 2009

After falling in love with a fourpack of this last year, I was anxious to try this year's offering. I finally got my chance at a bar last night after failing to find any at all in the stores this year.

This bar offers a lot of very nice beers, but like most bars I've visited everything is served ice cold. I can't envision drinking this beer at anything much lower than room temperature, but I had to make do. I had it served out of the fridge in a Rochefort glass.

This year's brew is stronger than last, at a whopping 11.5%ABV. Perhaps the temperature interfered with the flavor profile too much, but the coffee flavor was very overwhelming, and made it nearly impossible to discern the flavor acquired by aging the beer in bourbon barrels.

It was a good brew, but seemed a lot less special to me than it did last year in terms of flavor. With no carbonation and such a strong coffee character, it resembled iced coffee more than beer. The one thing that remains the same is the effect of the beer on me. I have had stronger beers than this before, yet Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout feels as if it is the single most intoxicating beer I have ever consumed. Before the end of the glass it was taking a strong hold on me (granted, I'd had a glass of Bell's Two Hearted before this) with a boozy and virtually narcotic effect.

All things considered, this is still an amazing, world-class stout, but last year's was better, not to mention less expensive as well.

The appearance was thick, dark black and almost oily. Poured without much caution straight down into the glass rendered no head, and not more than a few tiny bubbles. The crisp coffee flavor made the brew a bit more drinkable and helped to overcome the extremely thick mouthfeel, as did the refrigeration. I would like to try this at room temperature on Friday if they still have some, to see if that makes a difference.

nesta, Apr 06, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -12.3%

The concept of this beer is really intriguing - and the oak bourbon barrels really leave their mark. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much. The first 4 ounces were nice - the rest was slow. There's a really strong presence of oak and bourbon which, if you like bourbon, is a really nice change from most beers.

I wouldn't purchase this beer again but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try it. Founder's remains one of my favorite brewers and this is certainly a very well executed beer... just not the one for me. I'll stick to their porter, thank you.

msolar, Apr 06, 2009