Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,582
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 version into a goblet

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a one finger, bubbly, caramel-colored head of foam. It left thin rings of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of coffee, chocolate and bourbon. These three aromas were all very balanced, none overpowered the others. There were very mild notes of vanilla and toffee.

T - Some boozy, bourbon flavors with dark roasted coffee flavors. Nice chocolate, caramel and toffee flavors, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied beer with some warm alcohol heat.

D - First of all, it's delicious and fairly easy drinking considering its potency.

3.33/5  rDev -27.9%

Decided to review this beer after having a 2009 next to a 2010 last night. I'll use the fresh one as the review but will leave some extra notes.

Beer pours out black with a caramel head. Nose is soaked with bourbon and chocolate. KBS holds a dark roasted aroma. But it's not overpowering.

This years batch seems a little less carbonated than last years, making it richer and smoother on the palate. Oak, bourbon, chocolate, and roast malt mix together on your taste buds. Still not very over powering. Bourbon is not as hot as some people say it is. I get more chocolate than anything in this batch.

Extra notes: I want to say that KBS, for me, has always been all over the place in flavor. Some will be heavy on bourbon and some will be heavy on chocolate and then the rest will all fall within that range. I've only actually had a few bottles that were fully balanced. But after I was able to get that rarity/hype factor out of my head I can say that I've never actually been blown away by it. And for a stout that has won so much fame, it's no where near as complex, decadent or robust as something like Bourbon County Stout. It excels in drinkability. It's smooth and silky but doesn't cause any fatigue in your tastebuds.

The 09 vintage, thanks to screw off caps, was awful. It had started oxidizing and tasted like wet cardboard and chalk. The nose was even worse. Underneath that, I don't feel like this is a beer to even bother aging. All the things that make this beer good are right there in the beginning and then after a year they start to fade and leave a pretty boring BA stout.

Drink these fresh people.

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

There are more sophisticated reviewers than I (see Buckeye Nation, for example). So allow me to say simply this: I was in DC for business, went to Brickskeller, and happened to walk in when they were changing out taps. They had one keg of this stuff. I can't get it at home so I jumped on it.

Quite simply:

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING BEERS I HAVE HAD. I FELT HONORED TO DRINK IT.

Seriously. It was that good. Smooth. Complex. Drinkable. A piece of art.

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Finally, the elusive Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout, well worth the wait.

KBS poured a very, very dark, opaque brown with a half inch darkly tanned head the quickly faded to a slim, but elegant collar.

The aroma was black coffee, rich dark chocolate and, I swear, light peanut butter; in that order.

The taste was... hold on, I expected KBS to be over rated, and I expected to have a home state bias. It wasn't! And, I didn't. It was so good, I had to crack open a second one, and it was warm, no matter. Roasted coffee, chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and yes, oh yes, alcohol. I do want to taste some hot alcohol in my bourbon barrel aged beers, or else why bother. KBS had IT.

Mouth feel was full bodied, oily and perfectly (modestly) carbonated.

Drinkability, this is my second one, I would love another. ABV be damned.

OK, call me a homer, but this is good shit. Make this a year-rounder Founders! On a side note; this makes me want to try another of my cellared Expedition stouts and do a re-rate.

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%

Presented in one of Founders' signature short, brown bottles with a very cool label featuring a yellowed-parchment look and western-style font.

Pours thick and black as sin, with a very dark tan head that rises a moment after the pour and settles slowly after into the viscous fluid beneath. When this beer is sloshed around it moves slowly and with a purpose. Great dark sheets of lace cling all around the sides of my snifter.

The aroma is sweet and woody with dark fruit and black coffee. The hint of bourbon in the nose takes me back to touring the inside of Maker's Mark distillery near Bardstown in Kentucky and the annual Bourbon Festival for which I make the trip down.

The flavor of this beer cannot be topped. The rich and full, syrupy texture delivers sweet roastiness, smoke, wood, a healthy booziness, fruit, coffee, and chocolate, all in a perfectly harmonious medley.

I could drink this until my vision blurs and the world goes dark around me. Realistically, one ought not to do this, and the price tag would prevent any frugal man from indulging in more than one per sitting. If I had to choose my last meal this beer would help wash it down.

4.85/5  rDev +5%

This is one of my go-to favorite stouts, so it is fitting that it is my first review. KBS 2010!

The color of this nearly perfect looking beer is dark brown/black with very little transparency. Late rising bubbles appear in a light mocha color, and rise to less than half a finger high. Some bubbles remain around the edge of my glass as I watch the enticing foam dissipate. A small ring of lacing sticks to the sides of my pint shaped taster glass.

It is still too cold from the fridge, so I wrap my hands around the glass to warm it slightly. The smell overflows with bourbon, fresh brewed coffee, vanilla and some oak.
I really hope that the claims are true and I can use this any time I am in distress! ;) It does have that slight medicinal scent.

Finally!! I get to drink it. Writing reviews is a bit of a tease. mmm...it is bit more roasty and bitter then I remember. I love the hint of vanilla sweetness and the perfect balance of bourbon/whiskey. The almost overpowering mouthful of coffee excites the senses, and I can't stop drinking it. Is it really 11.2%?! Not hot...even though this batch came out very recently. Dangerously delicious?

Just the right amount of carbonation tickles my tongue, while the creamy body swirls around my mouth leaving a satisfyingly smooth feeling. It is intoxicating, literally and sensor(ily). I really could have way too many of these!

The drink-ability falters when one contemplates the 11.2%...and how easy it would be to get very silly! This could be very dangerous if I wasn't in the privacy of my own home.

Overall, a fantastically flavored concoction destined to seduce my senses!

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

I went to a place (I won't say which place it was) but they sell alcohol for a living (legally). I asked, "Do you have anything special or new in the back that isn't on the shelves?" Guess what I got. Two freaking KBS!!! I don't know if I have ever had a better trip to a beer store. Don't know if I ever will again.

The appearance is an abyss of blackness, with a mocha creamy head that develops with difficulty but has some staying power. Totally opaque.

The aroma is deeply burnt and has a large presence of bourbon and vanilla. Oaky nose and really sublime.

The alcohol hits you immediately in the flavor, and does deliver a constant burn throughout. Massive burnt malt flavorings, but you also can grab hold of the vanilla and the bourbon, especially in the finish. Complex and rich in its latent bitterness. Amazing.

The feel is creamy and thick but far from overdone and not sticky.

What cliches haven't been mentioned? Who couldn't love this beer? This is the perfect example of a beer living up to the hype, and the mythology surrounding it. Just beautiful, and the finest beer I have ever drank.

4.22/5  rDev -8.7%

2010 Bottle. Picked up quite a few of these this year, so I'm happy about that.

A: Jet black pour with foamy tan head. Nice lacing.

S: Coffee, bourbon, Kahlua, vanilla. Not much in the nose in terms of malt.

T: Very sweet. Loads of bourbon/vanilla. Chocolate malts, hops, and coffee mix very well. No burn/alcohol present in the 2010 bottle.

M: Very thick and creamy. Sticky on the palate and coats the mouth.

D: Very good drinkability. Can't really enjoy more than 1 due to alcohol and sweetness, but still very good.

Bottle into a snifter.

Pours an opaque black with an inch of dense milky/coffee foam head. Dissipates into a small cloud on the surface with significant lacing.

Rich smell - loaded with bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Lost of toast from the oak in the nose, and a touch of heat. I don't get an overwhelming heat from this, which seems to be a point of contention this year (and in general...). I'd say this - to each their own, but I don't see it out of style. It's well balanced, but the nose doesn't suggest more than a year two of aging. Plenty of depth at the moment: but age could be good.

Very deep and dense on the tongue. Creamy, but not sticky. Very palatable. Coffee and bitter cocoa dominate the flavor - with enough other flavors floating over. Some of the milk flavors are present, but the sweet honey flavors from the bourbon are light. No florals, but a touch of heat from the bourbon. Lots of toasty flavors come into play to keep the warmth in check. Warms well - a hint of metallic stuff on the end.

Clearly, unless someone is in the mood to kill their liver and brain (not to mention their wallet), don't have a bunch in one night. I'll be aging one or two. I can see some complexity coming out and it would be good, but if you like it now, there's not a reason not to drink it if you've got more than one bottle.

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

I struggle to find the better beer. I can't decide as to which is my favorite stout. There are too many variables involved. This is what I have decided. I love this beer. Sometimes you have to put away the note pad and sit back, relax, and enjoy. This is one of those beers that will make you do that. I can't scribble enough on my pad to even remotely come close to doing this beer justice. Pours black chocolate with Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, and alcohol on the nose. 100% velvet with the bourbon coming through just enough and then slowly fades back into a bitter chocolate and soothed over with malt sweetness. I can't say enough and I do not have the skills to properly do this beer justice. This is an extremely complex beer. It is above me.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle poured into a goblet. This is a fantastic beer. Very dark beer with a this tan head. You have to force pour it to get a good amount of carbonation release. The taste is coffee first, chocolate second, with bourbon throughout. I think that as the beer warms, the coffee fades and the chocolate becomes more prominent. The alcohol is present throughout. This is a fantastic beer! Is it my favorite imperial stout? I'm not sure, but this beer deserves all the credit it gets!

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a 22 oz wine glass
55 degrees

Appearance: Black coffee in color, almost viscous looking. A slight tawny head that dissipates quickly in keeping with the high alcohol content

Smell: The aroma is incredible. The deep wonderful aroma of creamy chocolate with the undertones of alcohol and coffee. The smell only intensifies as the stout warms. Every time I put it to my nose I found myself saying, "Wow!" I just love the bouquet of this beer.

Taste: Warm, warm chocolate, like a spiked hot cocoa, yet not sweet. Like a 70% Lindt chocolate cordial. It warms all the way down and should definitely be drunk slowly and deliberately. The aftertaste is where you get the coffee, like the best arabica coffee beans.

Mouthfeel: Warm, tingling, yet creamy. You want to enjoy this beer in your mouth before swallowing.

Drinkability: Wow. Are you kidding? This is one awesome beer. Of course, with it's high abv one is the limit. Besides, you want to stretch out this four pack as looong as possible.

4.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of coffee, roasted malt, sweet malt, alcohol, and slight hop. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial Stout. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a strong bitterness from the roasted malts. Tastes of strong coffee, strong alcohol, bourbon/wood, and roasted malt. Overall, great aroma, great blend, good body, but appearance was lacking.

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Acquired 2 bottles from table and vine at a hefty price of 8 dollars a bottle. 12oz 2010 KBS.

A - Oil spill black body with a brown head that really has come balls to it.

S - Bourbon, chocolate, coffee, maple syrup, vanilla... wow. Every component stands on it's own and really invigorates the senses.

T - Coffee and bourbon up front. A maple syrup chocolate vanilla finish. I grouped them together but each flavor really stand out just like in the smell. When rating some stouts I am not exactly sure about certain flavors I'm getting. With these stout each component is so pronounced and exciting.

M - Thick full body. So smooth and creamy. I could sip on this and let it swirl around my palate all day. The alcohol is completely hidden.

D - I split this one with soupedup and put mine in a tulip. I went back and fourth on it - smell, sniff, smell sniff, ect. I tried to make it last but had a hard time doing so.

No hype here. This is an amazing stout. My new favorite in fact. Too bad I have to cellar my last one for another year before I can have it.

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

I was worried about this beer due to the hype. Then all I heard about was the price. thankfully I am in a state that this is avaiable in and at 17.99 a 4pk, I was alittle worried.

But it was just as good as everyone says.

It poured out nice and thick with almost no head. Smells great, with a coffee chocolate smell. Upon tasting, I get a rich coffe taste up front with slight chocolate hints but the longer it lingers I got a bourbon woody taste (slight cherry flavor?). I more I drank the more I picked but the backround bourbon flavoring.

Over all, it was great and well worth the price

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours an impenetrable onyx with a thin brown head that doesn't retain well, but this stuff is over 11% ABV so I didn't expect much head retention. The smell has a really nice mocha turtle brownie thing going on, with a bunch of cocoa, bourbon, coffee and caramel aromas meshing together very nicely. The flavor is also quite good, with a big cocoa presence upfront, followed by espresso, vanilla, bourbon, caramel and burnt bread. The mouthfeel is full and thick, but not sludgy. Carbonation is appropriately minimal, and drinkability is remarkable considering the style and ABV. An unforgettable stout, very complex and extremely delicious, lives up to the hype.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. From the 2010 bottling.

A: Pours a deep, dark brownish black with a 1/4" tan head that quickly dissipated. This is what any great stout should look like.

S: Sweet, roasted coffee hits my nose with a slight woody bourbon aroma rounding it out.

T: Big, bitter roasted coffee flavor dominates as it did with the smell. I thought it would be a bit sweeter from smell, though. The bourbon seems to be a little bit too far in the background for my liking.

M: The body is definitely a bit lighter than I expected. I am a bit let down in this area and would prefer something a bit heartier. That said, it's quite smooth.

D: Extremely drinkable! I could put a few of these down in a sitting. Too bad that they are not more readily available.

Overall, I was expecting a little bit more from this beer. For better or worse, I compared this to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. While being much more drinkable, I have to say that Goose Island has the ultimate upper hand in this match.

3.1/5  rDev -32.9%

This is my first review for Beeradvocate. I've been in the booze biz for about 7 years now. I am currently a wine consultant but, I have several years of beer tasting experience. I guess that I have tried well over 100 beers, not including macro brews. The hype in the beer world is no different than the hype in the wine world so, I have to rip on this fairly overrated beer:

A: pours a slightly oily black stew with no head.

S: smells like mesquite wood, fresh ground coffee and dark chocolate. No bourbon aromas to be found.

T: Bitter sweet espresso shot cold. Long finish. Hate to say it but, it tastes just like a can of Starbucks Double Shot Espresso with less sugar and no cream. Not as boozy as a Bourbon County Stout as I thought it would be. Where's the bourbon?

M: Not as cloying as I thought it would be. Palate is on the medium body side and dryer than I thought it would be which is good.

D: One in the morning or one at night. Good with smoked cheese.

Both beer and movies have their "fan boys" (you know, the kind that love eye candy movies like The Matrix and Star Wars and will give movies like that a high rating simply because they are supposed to like it), and this beer will be praised by biased drinkers and will try to tell you it is the best thing ever. I disagree, this is truly an overrated beer but, it's not bad. For the price, Yeti and Storm King are a much better value and you don't have to wait for them to be released.

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%

I was cautious with this one because of the hype that surrounds the hard to find limited releases. After tasting it, there's no doubt in my mind that it deserves all the praise.

Typical appearance for a top notch stout. Black, thick, good cinnamon colored head.

Smell...mmm. Tons of coffee, molasses, and of course, bourbon. There's a nice touch of vanilla and charred oak. One thing that sets this apart from a lot of the other bourbon barrel aged stouts is the definitive presence of coffee. It almost surpasses the bourbon.

Hands down the best bourbon barrel aged beer I've had. There's a lot to be said about how smooth and mellow the bourbon is, while still being vivid. You get all the classic notes of vanilla and wood without any of the astringency that usually tags along. The coffee again is a major player and it's dark roast and fresh. The aftertaste is sweet and is somewhere between brown sugar and maple syrup.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. The alcohol is modest considering the abv and fact that it's aged in bourbon.

This is surprisingly smooth for being aged in bourbon barrels. I really enjoy barrel aged stouts, with it being a current trend, and this one does it the best. I have a hometown alliegance to GI BCS, but must say that this passed it on my list. The two things that separate this from the pack is the unique coffee angle and keeping the bourbon flavor without the burn.

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%

From a 12 oz. bottle, the legendary Kentucky Breakfast Stout, I've been on its trail for 3+ years and I finally get to try it,

A: Pours a dark brown, light brown head, similar to the CBS.

S: Coffee for sure, but a nice amount of dark chocolate comes as well. Complex and interesting.

T: Dark chocolate and mocha are heavy on this initially. The finish is beautiful with notes of caramel, sweet coffee, cream and brown sugar. Great flavour.

M: Just smooth and elegant, creamy, it's great.

D: Founders blows me away again. While not as full and robust as CBS, this is arguably more complex and shows the great benefit coffee can bring to a beer, I love it.

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours like used motor oil. This stout is incredibly thick... it even leaves solidifying residue on mouth of the glass as you drink it. Light cannot penetrate a glass of this at all.

S - Founders nailed it with this one. The bourbon aroma dominates, but coffee and cocoa take away the edge and leave a truly fantastic smell.

T - Wow. Each sip is like a great journey. The first tongue contact reveals a sweet, mildly fruity character. Then a wonderful bourbon flavor comes through... balanced and woody, not overpowering. After the bourbon fades, a chocolate flavor is revealed, with the tail becoming darker and slightly bitter. This is definitely of the best stouts I've ever had.

M - Wonderfully creamy and thick... it coats your tongue and mouth without any "grittiness".

D - Perhaps this is the weak point of this excellent beer. The taste is wonderful, complex and powerful, but it simply will not go away. The bourbon and chocolate resonate forever... simply robbing you of an insatiable desire for the next sip (but perhaps I'm being a bit critical considering the 11.2% ABV).

Overall: This is a really, really nice imperial stout. It has an incredible taste... but it's a bit extreme and not an "easy to drink". But considering the price, ABV, and limited availability, you're probably going to sip this slowly and infrequently... and that's how an intricate beer like this can be really enjoyed.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

poured 12 ounce bottle in snifter

A: black, thin head,

S: lots going here bourbon, wood,vanilla booze, coffee

T bourbon, coffee, wood, this one is good but still a bit rough around the edges I think it needs some time, still was a real treat. I will see how time affects this one, I think a few more months will do it justice.

M: thick and rich, real smooth, full body, the mouth feel does not get better than this.

D: well this review is on the last bottle of the four pack, so i drank the whole thing, luckily i have 2 four bangers left.

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle, 2010 vintage, poured into a pint glass.

Pours a pitch black with virtually no head. Lets no light through, this stuff is black like the Abyss. Seeing this darkness filling my glass made me happy.

Smells of coffee, caramel, and sugar.

The taste is fantastic. It's very smooth, and the alcohol is well hidden. Only a slight hint of booziness to the taste. Taste follows the smell, with the coffee, caramel, and sugar, as well as dark chocolate and vanilla. A bit of bitterness, but it is a very smooth and creamy brew overall.

Mouthfeel is heavy, thick, and creamy. Feels substantial. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is good, perhaps too good. I could have a couple of a these, but given how strong they are, I'd rather appreciate a single bottle in a sitting.

Verdict: Amazing

This was my first KBS, and hopefully will not be my last.

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

Much thanks to sjccmd for this one.

2009 vintage poured into a tulip

A-Black as night. A moderate pour produced a thin mocha colored head that receded into a ring. Looks good.

S-A great roasted coffee scent hits me right off followed up by definitive chocolate notes, bourbon and some vanilla. Smells great.

T-A nice bourbon flavor hits first but doesn't overwhelm, followed up by sweet vanilla, roasted coffee, chocolate and a wonderful earthy/woody flavor. Well balanced, these flavors all represent and really intermingle nicely with each other. Simply put, this is exceptional.

M-Viscous, full bodied, coats the palate well, creamy with a carb level that is just right.

D-Its really drinkable for a big beer. Many of these would certainly be doable, if I don't end up falling off my chair ;)

Poured from a growler into a Balloon Goblet.

This is simply one of the most enjoyable and best beer experiences I have ever had. I was with my older brother on a cool spring night in March on the outskirts of Cincinnati.

I won't even go into the specifics of each aspect of the beer, but I will say this is the only imperial stout that I have experienced three wonderfully distinct and vivid flavors in a row.

As soon as the extremely thick, black, syrupy consistency beer pours into the glass you are hit with an unforgettable aroma that is complemented by the perfect amount of carbonation for an imperial stout. The thick, amber-colored foamy head remains through the drink followed by a beautiful lacing.

When it hits your tongue, the drinker experiences a creamy chocolate taste that is infused with hints of vanilla. While in the mouth, a deep and rich coffee flavor erupts that is very powerful, yet very drinkable. The finish is a distinct flavor of aged oak and bourbon that is bitter and strong without being overwhelming. An incredibly soothing and warming experience. After being refrigerated overnight, we let the growler sit out for about a half hour or so drinking it at about 50 degrees.

Founders is known for making extreme beers and stouts and the Kentucky breakfast is no exception. Simply put, this beer will kick your ASS! I do not recommend this as a session beer. One is all you need to enjoy. After finishing the beer, I lit up a Makers Mark soaked Cigar that was an excellent cap to probably the best beer I have ever had.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company