Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,288
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

I'm drinking the 2008 vintage about a month after its release. I recently had a vertical with the 2007, and in my opinion, this beer does not age well. I think it loses a lot of the great coffee taste. Most stouts age well because they mellow, but the greatness of the KBS is its strong, harsh, coffee malts, and those fade over time. Drink it fresh. Now to the review.

The color is a very dark brown with a nice little tan head. The smell is overpowering. It has that strong coffee flavor of the BS, but the added bourbon aroma is delicious. The taste lives up to everything the smell promises. The bourbon is so delicious... strong oak notes, vanilla, and general bourbon overtones. Oh my, what a unique beer.

The alcohol is also quite well-concealed given that this is a 10% beer. This greatly helps the drinkability.

I swear, I think this beer is perfect. You must try it.

bassmantin, Apr 11, 2008

A-pours a deep brown/black with a 3 fingers head.

S-Smells of chocolate, vanilla and coffee...a very deep complex smell, many layers here.

T-Wowzer, this beer is amazing probably the best stout I've had to this point in my life. Taste is like the smell very complex, strong coffee and vanilla flavor with hints of bourban and chocolate. The alcohol is well hidden in the beer.

M-Has a nice mouthfeel very thick and creamy...this is how a stout should be.

D-So I've had this beer before on tap and in bottle I love this beer so much I would like to freeze it into ice cubes and skate on it. I could drink it all day/night long. Probably not a good hot weather beer...but here in the cold North its perfect!!!

HopHobo, Apr 10, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A-Pours a deep jet black with a modest dark tan head.

S-Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, a bourbony vanilla, some dark fruits, some alcohol in the background. One of the most delicious, complex aromas I have ever experienced.

T-A smooth, sweet chocolate flavor in the front, followed by vanilla and dark fruit, with some caramel on the finish...then some nice alcohol warmth after.

M-Creamy and smooth. The chocolate-caramel taste linger nicely on the tongue.

D-Very drinkable despite the strong bourbon character.

A much hyped beer that lives up to the hype. Wonderfully complex from the nose through the finish. This most enjoyable barrel aged beer I have tried. I am happy we have three more of these to enjoy.

HV

sholland119, Apr 06, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

bottles courtesy of hoppymeal and prototypic. Thanks!!
Pours pitch black with a big medium lived dark brown head. Smell is strong coffee, mild bourbon and oak. Very well balanced smell and not overly bourbony. Taste is equally as well balanced with rich dark chocolate like roasty malt, a touch of vanilla, stong oak flavor, a touch of bourbon, and bold coffee flavors. This is really nice, and quite a bit more enjoyable than the original breakfast stout. Medium to thick body and moderate to light carbonation. Awesome beer.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
4.63/5  rDev 0%

Pours with a thick brown head with small bubbles leaving leaving a good lace. Black body, no light gets through around the edges solid looking.

Chocolate Whisky coffee and a little malt no hops

Bitterness, patent malt, bourbon, oak, vanilla, coffee and chocolate

smooth like silk big and creamy heat from the booze

Does not hide the alcohol, it displays it like a work of art. No beer bongs for this beer, but it is very drinkable.

mully, Apr 06, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -7.6%

First time trying this brew... I saved my first sips for a nice moment which happened to be this evening.

A: Poured into a Gouden Carolus wide glass. Very dark ruby, aggressive pour stirs up a tiny layer of head that swirls around throughout the tasting.

S: Big bourbon smell, and chocolate.

T: Again, big bourbon taste, which I like. Notes of chocolate, vanilla. Hard to make out anything else.

M: My biggest let down of this beer. It felt very thin, and was hoping for something a little 'thicker'. Though the light carbonation works well.

D: Def a sipper. I cracked it almost an hour and half ago, and still working on it. Not a bad thing at all.

Overall, tasty... and I'm enjoying it very much. Though if I had to have this or GIBC, I'd probably go for the GIBC.

amiles, Apr 05, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

I was lucky to get this find. The way I understand it was a hard to find this year. I purchased a four pack at UFS. $16.99 for a four pack of 12oz bottles with twist off caps. No bottled date that I could find. I picked up two four packs but after shopping I decided to put one back out of the four left of six. Hope others had a chance at this one. After all I only needed one. I'm just one of the lucky ones to try it this year.

A little like Founders Oatmeal breakfast stout, KBS has some similar characteristics. When I pored into my glass it had a very dark black motor oil color to it. When I held it up to the light I could barely make out what looked to be a ruby wine Hughes highlights around the outer edge of the glass. The head was small & a rocky mud color that went away very quickly. Very little lacing left behind while drinking it.

It had a very pleasant smell of coffee a little oats bourbon and very little notes of hops. To my surprise I did not find it strong or over powering at all. There was not a strong alcohol smell at all.

I could taste coffee, dry oats and a mild taste of wooden aged bourbon. I thought it would be a lot stronger. The ABV bite got stronger as it warmed up. Not to say that is a bad thing at all.

It felt rich silky and bitter sweet in my mouth with lots of flavor and no noticeable carbonation.

I enjoyed slowly drinking it and I think the four pack was my limit. A very tasty and pleasant treat. I think every one should try it once. It lives up to all the hype but is not worth all the hording going on.

Cheers

quad07, Apr 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into SA tulip glass. Color is oil and hot tar, thin brown head, with oily lacing.

Nose is burnt oak, vanilla, bourbon, plums, and raisin. Notes of cream, espresso roast coffee, and sweet alcohol.

Palate is bombarded with a silky-slick bitterness followed by a deep molasses, maltiness. After taste reminds me of a caffeinated Yoohoo which leaves a warm, alcohol finish. Mouth is left a bit tart.

A very nice offering and glad I was fortunate to run across a couple of these gems. Despite my three year old knocking over my glass, I really enjoyed this one. It's not my favorite style but the complexities and unique taste make it really good.

jdoncbus, Apr 05, 2008
4.47/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours pitch black in kind of that thick motor oil kind of pour. Limited amounts of dark tan head but the head lingered until the last sip. Aroma of bourbon and oak with some coffee and earth sprinkled in. Initial flavor is dominated by alcohol and coffee, with some bourbon noted in there at times as well. Flavor ended with much of the same but almost became sweeter from chocolate and less of the bitter coffee taste. Tons of lacing, very heavy body, very limited carbonation, and the alcohol was definitely detectable in this one. To summarize, have fresh pairs of underwear on hand when trying this, you will need them.

joekfsu, Apr 03, 2008

WOW...I bought 8 bottles of this beer before I even tasted it and I'm glad I did! Pours great, smells great (bourbon, vanilla, coffee, caramel), tastes great. I like to take a little swig of this beer and let it just sit in my mouth for a minute or two before I swallow. It's like an orgy of flavor all over my tongue!

Can't wait to taste it on tap at the brewery

J0EL, Apr 03, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Acquired from both plaztikjezuz and jpm30 in concurrent trades, so a big Thank You goes out to them. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a very thin brown head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of roasted coffee, vanilla, creamy chocolate, oats and dark malts.

T: The taste is very malty with strong roasted flavors of coffee, vanilla and chocolate as you would expect. There's a significant alcohol sting and a mild hops presence, but there's also a nice balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily for a beer with 10.00% ABV, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is one of those good big stouts that is worth drinking for a while until the ABV catches up to you.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 03, 2008
4.4/5  rDev -5%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter
Thanks to orbitalr0x for the trade

A - Pours a piercing black that spills out the bottle mouth like oil. Head is small but a very nice latte color. A sheet of lacing slowly falls when tipped, leaving spots of lace on the glass. Incredibly dark and opaque.

S - Scent of crisp toasted/burnt malt and alcohol with a strong vanilla flavor. A touch of coffee that grows more prominent as it warms. Alcohol has a strong oak context that is earthy and interesting.

T - Starts with a mild sweetness and then a quick wallop of strong oak flavor. Vanilla comes on strong, with a hint of coffee bitterness. Roasted and nearly burnt malt. Aftertaste is sharp with alcohol and maybe some drying hop bitterness, as well as some residual sweetness on the tongue.

M - Moderate carbonation with a full and very oily mouthfeel. Very interesting mouthfeel on the tongue, as midsip its many flavors seem to dance on the palate with a tingle. I've never had that sensation in a beer before.

D - Alcohol plays a strong role in this beer, both in flavor and effect. Very different from any other strong stout I've had, although I don't think any of those have been aged in oak barrels for a full year. Lives up to the hype, but not a beer I'd want to have everyday with its very oaky flavor. This is definitely a sipper.

gmcfarre, Apr 03, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours dark brown and opaque. Borders on black. No light get through this one at all. Head took a little bit of time to form completely and topped out at a little over a quarter inch. Retention was good. Lacing was excellent.

S - Starts off with aromas of strong espresso. Then it starts to get complicated. Secondary aromas include roasted malt, molasses, vanilla, milk chocolate, cherries, warm alcohol, earthy wood, and the list just keeps going.

T - Taste follows smell and is also complex. Coffee and espresso hit the palate first. Flavors of bourbon really come through strong in the flavor. They are followed by some roasted notes and bittersweet chocolate. Bitter friut and a warming alcohol are on the tail end.

M - Full bodied and creamy. Bittersweet finish that lingers for a long time and ends up being more bitter than sweet.

D - Drinkability is good. This is a strong full bodied beer that is very smooth. Everything about this brew is impressive. I would highly recommend the Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

csmiley, Apr 02, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz bottle for ~$5. Enjoyed from a Founders pint glass.

Pours like molasses and a hard pour produces very little head. Thick and oily.

Smell is dominated by sweet coffee. Bourbon is present but not overpowering.

Taste starts with coffee, with bourbon as the second fiddle again. Becomes more prevalent as it warms. A nice change from some BA's that are like taking a shot of Maker's every sip. However, the bourbon adds a sourness that I wasn't expecting. So, a little taken off for that. Mouthful was thick and rich, no carbonation here.

Very good beer, but not top 10 in the world.

mjd83goblue, Mar 31, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to hrking for the chance to try this top ranked brew. Hard to believe Founders uses screw tops for this beer. 2008 release.

Pours a jet black color, even with an aggressive pour there was very little head, what head there was disappeared fairly fast leaving no lacing. The color is perfect for a stout, but the lack of head is quite disappointing.

Wow, all coffee, seriously can't make out much more than an intense coffee aroma with only a slight bourbon scent, makes me almost wonder if I'm smelling a beer at all. Seems a bit one-sided of an aroma and not particularly complex, what's lacking in complexity though is made up by shear strength of what there is.

*As it warms up though, the bourbon aspect becomes more prominent and the coffee aroma takes the backseat, depending on what you prefer, drink it cold for coffee, warm for bourbon.

Taste has an intense coffee presence with the bourbon aspect being more subtle, nice low carbonation level that works quite well, very thick and sticky in the mouth, bitterness in the aftertaste as well as some alcohol notes, but while drinking the alcohol is virtually masked.

*Like the smell department, the taste becomes more affected by the bourbon aging, the alcohol in the beer also is more noticeable as a result of the bourbon taking hold.

*Revised for changes in temperature

deltatauhobbit, Mar 30, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Sampled on tap at Founders...what a great experience. Color was dark as can be, it was served in a snifter but had very little head, I dont know if it decipated by the time I got it or it wasnt there to begin with. Some lacing. Smell was great, incredible amounts of coffee as well as alcohol. At first I was a bit taken back but it quickly grew on me. The taste was amazing. This has to me one of the first 5's I've given on taste. Dark chocolate, coffee, some vanilla, some bourbon, some earth tones...everthing. Wonderfully complex! Thick as all hell though, low carbonation of course. Left a nice warm coating every inch as it went down. Overall I was tremendously impressed with this beer, and I have to say having right at the brewery itself made the experience so much better.

bunnyhustle, Mar 30, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Darkest brown, opaque and nearly black with bits of brown bubbles atop. Minimal head, nearly none.

Deep and rich aroma of caramel and charred oak, molasses and coffee. Some boozey notes.

Very rich and complex flavor, it evolves as it warms and as it rolls across the mouth. Dark chocolate, burnt coffee, bourbon and brandy, some cherry. Smokey notes turn to mocha, then I'm chewing on coffee beans, and next I'm sucking on a black licorice stick. ABV stays behind in the shadows.

Mouthfeel is just a bit thin, not too carbed. Very tasty and enjoyable sipper. Many thanks to BuckeyeNation for sending this one my way.

far333, Mar 27, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -10.8%

poured into typical pint glass. light dark brown head dissipated quickly.

a- looks like burnt motor oil, very dark deep color. can not see through at all.

s- smells of super dark roasted coffee with hints of damp wood.

t- nose offers surprisingly little taste followed by a rush of complex flavors. bourbon and toasted malt/wood flavors protrude through mid palette and a hint of alcohol right after swallow. aftertaste begins with dark coffee followed by ephemeral earthy taste finally accented again by a slight alcohol taste

m- quite high cutting carbonation feel on the nose. slightly dry and less viscous than expected yet smooth.

d- very drinkable if you take your time to appreciate the complexities of this beer. good companion on a cold night, will keep your attention as the flavors change with the temperature of the beer. alcohol becomes more prevalent as the drink warms up, also feels lighter as the sips continue. pretty good beer.

schroe58, Mar 26, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

Many, many thanks to lightindarkness for introducing me to beer trading with this fine offering!

Appearance - Poured an ebony black. Thick with only a slight head forming at first, gradually forming a more dense tan/brown head for the final presentation. Lacing remains long after the brew is gone. Nice offering.

Smell - Strong coffee nose leading to a bit of an alcoholic "ping". Roasted Malt, roasted malt and more roasted malt providing a strong bridge drawing you into the depths of the darkness below.

Taste - Read a previous review citing a "chocolate fudge cake", yep, that does sum it up. A strong roasted malt entry leading to very smooth middle, ending with a mild alcoholic finish. I really had to search for the alcohol, it was hidden exceedingly well.

Mouthfeel - Chewy mouthfeel with only a hint of carbonation. Outstanding density and remain upon the tongue.

Drinkability - This offering lived up to what I had hoped for and read about in the KBS. Well worth gathering all you can into your fold. I will very much have to put the other Founders stouts on my "must have" list.

Nesued, Mar 26, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured an opaque black with medium off white head that stayed for a few minutes. Smell was unexceptional - whiskey, burnt chocolate, malt. Taste did not have as much whiskey as I would have liked - it was there, but in a fresh bottle, I expected it to be more forward rather than subdued. Nice round mouthfeel and fairly drinkable for this ABV. All around good imperial, barrel aged stout, but I can think of several I like better (see Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.)

CH3CH2OH, Mar 25, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Where do I begin? I'll start by saying this is the second year I've been fortunate enough to have bottles this wonderful brew after having it for quite a few years at the Great Taste. I have 4 still sitting in my cellar from last year, but upon further reflection after having a fresh '08 vintage this evening, I think in a very close battle, I prefer the fresh to the aged (although the aged was marvelous too, but more subdued.)
This review is of the fresh version...
A-Black. That's it. Nothing more needed. Black enough, that when I pour it into my glass, I expect a vortex to form and see everything being sucked in. A small dark brown head forms for a short while but disappears quickly. And man, is this stuff viscous. I don't think I could drain motor oil after 7000 hard driving miles into my glass and have it look darker and coat my glass more than this.
S-I started to drink it slightly cooler than I should have due to the fact that I could not wait for this to warm up to room temp. Aromas of Coffee, Chocolate, and Bourbon assault my nose, more strongly as it warms. Delicious smelling indeed.
T-The smell is amplified in the taste... Flavors of Chocolate, dark and bitter, Coffee, strong and black, hints of oak and leather ride a tide of vanilla and bourbon, like a black wave of some dark forbidden army, assaulting and descending upon my mouth.... Warriors of hops hang in reserve... I know they're there...hidden...waiting... while archers of booziness loose waves of bourbon stained black arrows from all sides.
M-Smooth and silky, but carbonated and coating. Actually more carbonated than I would imagine when pouring it into my glass, but a pleasurable blanket covers my tongue, soothing it with warm and intoxicating hints of alcohol.
D-The only thing that hurts this is the higher ABV. On taste alone, I could drink this often. Even with the strength, I'd easily love to have 2 or 3 in a sitting.
An outstanding brew from Founders and easily one of my top 5 favorite beers to look forward to every year. Pleasure in a bottle.

EliteDigger, Mar 24, 2008
4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer pours black and is completely opaque. Two fingers of dark brown head develop on top of this brew with decent retention and some lacing.

The aroma is beautiful. There is huge coffee in the nose, bitter dark chocolate, vanilla, and some caramel sweetness.

Taste is equally as delicious as the aroma. There is a big bitter chocolate note, black coffee, dark roasted malts that are almost burnt. Some vanilla from the oak, and a slight bit of alcohol. I expect this beer will stand up well to some aging.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, very thick and chewy. Carbonation is low, but very appropriate. The mouthfeel on this beer is perfect. It's exactly how I like my stouts.

Drinkability is great. The amazing flavor of this beer makes for an easy consumption, however because the flavor is so strong and the alcohol is high it slows and limits the consumption.

World class. Very happy I finally got some.

Goliath, Mar 23, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -24.4%

Edit- second bottle
No date on bottle, but aged at least 3 months (according to the store I bought it from).

A- same as below- head is minimal, even if the pour is hard, dissipates quickly with no lacing to speak of. Then again, what are you expecting with an RIS of this kind? For what it is, it is pleasant to look at.

S- milder coffee (this is a big difference), vanilla is more present. Bourbon is still a bit lacking (again, my experience is limited). Alcohol tingle is milder upon exhale than a fresh bottle.

T- MUCH milder coffee bitterness. Still present, just not overpoweringly acrid and out of balance as in a fresh bottle. Sweetness is more obvious as a result and flavors are more in balance- not particularly chocolate as some might think, but there is a roasted malt sweetness that comes thru. Bitterness is more reserved due to age (drank with smoked fish and fatty foods).

M- mild carbonation at this point, smooth, full bodied, but not chewy- still a little slick.

Overall, an AGED bottle, even one as few as a couple months, makes a world of difference for me. If you enjoy the coffee flavor, drink it fresh by all means. As for the bourbon/wood flavors, it's still muted, but a bit more pronounced with age as things are more in balance without the coffee overpowering everything. I also drank mine with smoked salmon and eggs, so it was more fitting as a literal "breakfast" stout, and the fat perhaps blunted the coffee onslaught. I still don't think this warrants anything near its price, and fresh, I was tempted to toss it outright.

NOTE: I can only recommend a few months of aging- accounts from beer buyers at wine shops I frequent have mentioned the flavor being quite bad when past 1 year or close to it. As I have yet to have this experience, I'd limit my recommendation for aging to a few months.

First review 3/23/08
bottle from a fresh 4 pack, poured into small tulip, no date.

A- opaque dark brown with lighter brown edges against light. head is espresso foam colored, dissipates quickly into thin rim around that leaves surprisingly good initial lace.

S- Coffee outright (not espresso, but black coffee). Oak wood/woody smell is also strong (perhaps this is the bourbon wood smell, I'm not that familiar with bourbon). Vanilla was apparent when I ATE something with vanilla extract in it (in this case, homemade biscotti), otherwise I can't smell it over the coffee and oakiness. Finishes very coffee in the nose upon exhale, and almost smoky (I assume due to the oak aging).

T- Slightly sweet, quickly goes to sharp coffee finish, first sips reveal refreshing hop bitterness- citric in nature, leaving the impression that the beer is drier than it actually is. Both coffee and hops linger to tickle/tingle the mouth a good bit. Really reminds me of a cup of black coffee with a couple sugars in it. I don't know think that's a good thing- more malt and sweetness would have given a better balance, as well as more muted coffee bitterness.

M- Smooth, light but sharp carbonation. Surprisingly light in feel in the mouth- not nearly as viscous as one might expect from 10abv.

Overall, a nice american double imperial stout, but not the greatest. It has its own particular coffee forward character, but for me, it doesn't warrant such high praise- my own taste leans towards sweeter chocolate stouts (I tasted/smelled very little chocolate in this, despite what others wrote). I do feel the coffee and woody flavor is quite overpowering in comparison to other components- again, more malt and sweetness would offer more balance to this beer. I fear labeling this beer overrated, but on a personal subjective basis, this is not an all timer for me. I do have 4 more bottles to try, so perhaps my view will change, as I think my expectation for something thicker and more sweet may have colored my judgment. In the end, a nice (particularly if you love coffee), but not great beer.

ABCJiugui, Mar 23, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured an opaque, dark-brown, almost black, with dark brown head. Thick beer

Smells like chocolate. I can smell the oak too from the bourbon barrels.

Initially you get the chocolate sensation in the taste. That fades away to get a sweet vanilla flavor. Little bit of acidty at the end, but not overwhelming. Slight taste of the alcohol but it is hidden well by the chocolate taste.

It's thick. Light on the front of the tongue but you feel the weight in the back of the mouth. Tingling sensation on the roof and in the throat.

I would restrict myself to one beer at a special occasion, ONLY because of the limited release. And because I don't have to budget to tear through my 4-pack in one sitting.

Love this beer!

toolbrew, Mar 23, 2008

March 2008 release.

Pitch black in appearance. Tan head falls to some moderate lacing. Inviting aromas of sweet bourbon, tons of oak, molasses, and dark roasted coffee. Rich flavors of oak, dark chocolate, black coffee, vanilla, and roasted malt. Then finishes with a bit of bitter hops and some oak seems to linger. The AVB is warming, but hidden well. Mouth feel is creamy and smooth. Good carbonation and slightly sticky. Drinkability is fantastic. Very easy to sip on for such a complex barrel aged Imperial Stout. Highly recommended!

DavidEddie, Mar 23, 2008