Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,000
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,444 | Reviews: 2,610
3.45/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottling date reads 02/08/10. Pour into tulip gives birth to a tan head atop of opaque dark brown to black body. Aroma of chocolate, coffee, wood and...***booze***, lots of it, without any fruity esters to speak of. Flavor is rich dark chocolate, bourbon with pleasant alcohol warmth, coffee, bitterness that seems to be hop rather then roasted-malt derived. Roasty aftertaste. Medium bodied and smooth on the palate. The beer abounds in intensity, however, the rich dark chocolate and coffee qualities seem to be infusion rather than roasted grain/malt derived and this beer is just lacking the sublimity I'd expect from a top rated imperial stout.
A commoner, rather than imperial stout.

4.62/5  rDev 0%

111th review on BA
Bottle to Pint

App- Poured like Motor oil, black and dark as night. No head, no sound in the glass. Just a straight pour of a dark beer. I like it.

Smell- To me it was a bit oaky, some malt, chocolate, coffee and a touch of vanilla with a little booze.

Taste- A coffee flavored beer with some subtle malt flavors. It has so many flavors and is so different from FBS. Its an amazing stout. So many flavors jocking for position yet falling into place and tasting amazing.

Mouth- Big full bodied. Doesn't dissapoint at all. I see why it's A+. I am thankful to have gotten a 4 pack.

Drink- I was thinking of giving a buddy a bottle for X mas. F that all 4 are mine. If you can grab one by all means do it. Give up something to get something GRAND!!

4.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Reviewed from notes. Drank at Haute Dish along side CBS this fall.

Pours out a vicious black with half a finger of tan head. not very lively, but complex looking.

Smell is chocolate hint of vanilla, and bourbon and oak flavors all pretty tame.

taste is a mellow beautifully blended mixture of bourbon, roast, chocolate. Very smooth harmony they really got the bourbon flavor amount just right here.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy with very low carbonation as many barrel aged stouts are. works fine here.

A very complex but smooth big beer that I could have a few of in one sitting. Surprisingly drinkable. Great brew!

4.52/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours Black with a creamy head that leave a good amount of lacing.

S: Bourbon and Coffee. These are a few months old, but still extremely strong coffee smell. Also get some Vanilla and Chocolate.

T: Love this stuff. Creamy Chocolate, with a smooth bourbon flavor. Still a bite of alcohol. Finishes with coffee and dark fruits. Exceptional.

M: Smooth, but there is a good amount of alcohol flavor.

D: Alcohol isn't completely hidden, so is a sipper at first. But at 11%, the more you drink, the more you can drink. Would do these all day long.

4.89/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to Alewatcher for sending this down in a recent trade.

A: Black, good carbonation...slight mocha head. Sticky lacing.

S: Wow. Coffee, vanilla and booze...sweet. Such a lovely smell. If they made a woman's perfume from this...well, I'm married so nevermind.

T: Picks up where the smell left off and doesn't dissapoint. I didn't pick up chocalate in the nose, but it's certainly present in the taste, especially as the beer warms. Coffee, vanilla, chocolate and bourbon..with a just a hint of grassy hops. Brilliant bourbon after taste. Words are hard to come by to properly describe how good this beer is.

M: Creamy, smooth, just the slightest sting/burn from the alcohol which I find enjoyable...leaves the lips sticky.

D: This is a sipper, not because of the high ABV or thickness, but because you want to savor each sip and take your time to fully enjoy and appreciate the experience of KBS.

It's hard to overstate how terrific this beer is. KBS is worth bending over backwards for and for that, I truly appreciate Jeff including this.

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this on tap at The Happy Gnome in St. Paul

A- Pours a deep black with very little light penetration. A small cinnamon colored head thins quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Bourbon barrel goodness, caramel, roasted nummyness, vanilla

T- Follows the nose, bourbon barrel, caramel, and vanilla up front, light coffee and chocolate notes on the finish all with an amazing sweetness throughout. SO TASTY

M- Smooth and rich, lighly carbonated, medium to full in body, slightly dry whisky like finish

D- Couldnt tell at all that it was %11.2, seems more in the 7-8% range. i could have easily had 3 of these with how tasty they are... dangerous...

Overall, I was blown away by this beer. Im a big fan of the regular breakfast stout and IMO this stuff is even better... Id love to get my hands on some 4 packs of this...

3.36/5  rDev -27.3%

A: Solid ba stout. Deep with tan head that is expectedy reticent.
S: Green pepper. Just all kinds of weird on top of the chocolate and coffee and assorted other desireable aromas.
T: Peppers still the dominant note. Coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla find their way in somewhere.
M: Good mouthfeel with some carbonation lightening the weight. Nice thick silkiness.
D: I could certainly have a few of these, and it's good enough that I wouldn't steer clear.

I waited to review this again after the last batch had the intrusive peppery notes (which some others in my group didn't get) that gave it a less than stellar showing. This is from a different batch, and is distinctly more pronouncedly green (and noticed by all) to its deteriment. Have to assume that it's a characteristic of this beer, and it's not to my taste.

4.77/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to DmanGTR for this one! From notes (12/5).

A: Pours a extremely black. A very small tan head forms for a second and then is gone. No lacing.

S: The bourbon aroma hits right away. I also get a lot of vanilla and chocolate, as well as a small hint of coffee. Slight hint of alcohol, but overall very nice.

T: This has an amazing flavor. Lots of vanilla and oak to go along with a rich chocolate flavor. Not as much coffee as expected and for me that is a big plus. Gets better as it warms.

M/D: Full bodied, but very smooth and extremely easy drinking. Sits warm in my stomach. One of my favorite beers so far.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A-- Poured black, no other way about it. Just black. Just a dark chocolate film for head. On swirling I get a one finger head that does stick around for a short while. Little splotches of lacing on the sides of the glass. Impressive.

S-- Gritty old coffee with chocolate, touches of vanilla and bourbon. My first thought was this is what Cowboy Coffee should, or would taste like. Also got some chocolate truffles and a bit of mushroom smell to this. No ABV smell at all.

T-- Cowboy coffee. Old coffee, chocolate, vanilla with a touch of bourbon. First sip reminded me of out camping and having 2 day old coffee that is cold.

M-- Surprisingly thin. Not in a bad way at all. Very smooth. Vanilla becomes dominant but the coffee taste is still there. Just flashes of bourbon. Just more like cold coffee with vanilla and a touch of bourbon.

T-- This is what I want to wake up to in the morning when camping, or, well on any occasion. This is GOOD. Bourbon in the right amounts and keeps the essence of what a good stout should be. ABV is scary hidden. Even once it gets warm it is just very well hidden. A sipper in every way but this is world class. To me captures what being a cowboy was in the 1890's and pouring a cold coffee that has had a touch of bourbon in it from the night before when he woke up and is getting ready to drive more cattle.

4.67/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours black as coal with about one finger of thin tan head which dissipates quickly.

The first aromas to hit me was the bourbon followed by some chocolate with a hint of coffee.

The taste was of dark chocolate,bourbon, perhaps a hint of vanilla.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied,very,very smooth. Slight alcohol on the finish.

Very drinkable at 11.2%, a sipper without a doubt...

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%

I have a few of these left, so I decided to raid my cellar tonight and drink a "KBS." The last time I popped one of these was on the 4th of July. I haven't sampled this brew since.

A: Poured a very dark, dark, DARK brown, almost black. When I initially gave it a hard pour, no head formed for about 3 seconds, then... the head eruption! About an inch of head formed, roughly only two to three shades lighter than the brew itself. The foamy retention surrounded the brew throughout the session.

S: Not a bourbon bomb (ala. Older Viscosity and Black Tuesday) like I would have thought. The bourbon was definitely there, but it was tempered by the high grade coffee, mild candy sweetness, a bit of oakiness, and a tinge of vanilla.

T: I actually recognized this instantly as Founders "Breakfast Stout" with a little something added. This was basically a coffee dessert, with freshly churned butter (bourbon), chocolate, and vanilla. The finish was about as smooth and silky as it gets!

M: The alcohol didn't burn and was barely detectable. However, one could make the argument that when dealing with a beer involving bourbon, you are just trading one form of alcohol for another. Nevertheless, the balance was astounding, the carbonation perfect for the style, and the sweet elements are not in your face or abrasive in any way.

D: Believe the hype! This brew is truly on of the best in the entire world IMO. At the beginning of the session, I was wrapped up in a blanket in front of the fire watching TV. At the end of the session, the blanket was off and my body was totally warm. The brew warms the body, heart, and soul!

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%

2010 Batch 11/30/2010
Appearance: rich black little to no head what is does not stay. Smell: lovely roasted malt punctuated with notes of sweet bourbon.
Taste: slightly bitter intertwined w/ rich coffee & dark chocolate,  subtly smoky with roasted malt. Finishes w/ sweet notes of bourbon.
Texture: dry.
Drinkability: for this style incredibly so no flavor kills another but w/ this abv will make you reign it in. Value: it takes great ingredients to make a great beer and you will pay more for it. There are many reasons this is limited.

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a bottle into my DFH snifter. Shared with BAs infi, johnjae, NYManc, brun and others for Thanksgiving. Reviewed from 11/25 notes.

Deep, dark and viscous, with complete opacity. Slight tan head that leaves sticky, spotty lacing. Don't think I'll ever get tired of the way stouts look, and I'm certainly not going to start with something like KBS. Smell is ridiculously complex, with a ton of different aromas wafting about. Sweet vanilla and toffee, along with caramel and coffee, all complemented by the definite bourbon scent that defines this beer. I didn't know it was possible to combine so many distinct olfactory essences into one beer, but damn, Founders managed to do it. Color me impressed.

With a nose like this, I was hoping that the taste would follow up on it and I was not disappointed. Everything I smelled was in the flavor profile, from the vanilla to the caramel to the bourbon, each one rolling across my tongue and allowing me to distinguish between them. Malts are present and are on the sweetish side, like mostly everything else. The bourbon booziness is readily discerned, but isn't obtrusive or overpowering, which is quite favorable in a barrel-aged stout. There's a very slight tinge of bitterness at the end from the coffee, but the brief aftertaste is a recap of all the sacchariferous nuances from before. Mouthfeel is slick and smooth, with little carbonation and a medium body, ensuring an easy drinking experience.

I really do wish this was readily available around me because I would definitely buy and drink this regularly. I'll admit, I had very high expectations going into this brew, and it met them handily. I just wish there was more to go around! Definitely deserving of its spot in the pantheon of top tier beers.

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%

Dear God,
Please send more KBS down to Earth.
Amen

Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is more bourbon barrel aged beers. Maybe a redux of the Wood Aged Weekend? I will settle simply for a 6er of KBS, though. All I really need is that coffee and bourbon, The Big wood and vanilla, angry notes of black magic. Those things that make my gums tingle and my heart sing. Bittersweet. Perhaps some notes of chocolate and astringent wood and coffee.
I have been (mostly) good this year. I should not have set off bottle rockets inside of the indian casino, but other than that, I think I've been the model of "what is good." Thanks for listening,
Love,
Joe

PS: The most recent bottle I had was way better than the watered down version that was my first experience of KBS. That first one alone is what keeps this from more 5s.

Dammit, KBS. I'm going to have to make a shift in the ratings here on account of 2 of the 3 bottles now that I've had not being at all up to the amazing record. Only the middle bottle has been outstanding. The first was crazy over the top coffee, this one currently is bourboncentric. Those two were from the same trade. Zany, yes.

2.98/5  rDev -35.5%

KBS was another member of Capone's super Black Friday lineup. Unfortunately, perhaps the sixtel was off.
Appearance was brown - not the near black that was to be expected. The nose was acidic, not floral and creamy. Taste was thin, could this have gotten watered down? Mouthfeel was blah. Drinkability gets punted under these conditions. Normally, I'd be rating this (if I had been taking notes) in the mid-to-high 4's. Yesterday's edition was abnormal.

Fortunately for me, Matt had many other top notch offerings that did not disappoint!

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

Shared with BA infi, r0nyn, and many many others. Drank during Thanksgiving. Poured into a tulip.

A: Poured motor oil black with little to no head. When held against the light, little bits of dark dark red was seen around the edges. Little to no lacing on this. When swirled a small mocha head would a appear briefly.

S: Strong smell of coffee, bourbon and vanilla. Upon further and deep sniffs of the beer, I got a hint of chocolate mixed in there. Bits of nice malts mixed into that smell as well. The smell of alcohol is prevalent in this one. This smell got my mouth watering.

T: Taste of coffee upon the first sips, mixed with vanilla and a good malty backbone taste. The taste of the bourbon comes into play as well. Not overbearing, but a perfect mix in my opinion. After taste was dark chocolates with notes of malt. Very great mix

M: Feels great going down, so smooth. Medium bodied with little carbonation. It was what I expected for this type of beer.

D: Alcohol is prevalent so it may slow down the drinking a bit. Otherwise, if it wasn't for its 11.20 ABV I would be downing these like no other.

4.67/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a jet black body without even a hint of light showing through beneath the thin mocha colored head that quickly gives way to just a hint of lacing.

The aroma is quite complex. It is rich and woody with roasted malt, bourbon, hints of vanilla, and possibly maple. As it warms the coffee starts to appear as well as some of the earthy hops.

The flavor is equally complex yet a bit different. Roasted malt greets the palate and the bourbon, oak, and vanilla come through mid way. The chocolate and coffee bitterness arrive towards the finish with a hint of hops that provide the 70 ibu's.

The mouth feel is quite thick, yet smooth, with medium to low carbonation and a lip smacking finish from the vast flavors offered.

This beer is fantastic. A great bourbon stout as Founders found just the right mix to use without altering what made Breakfast Stout good in the first place. This is dangerously good.

2009 edition

3.27/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours pitch black like the night sky of the countryside of Kentucky. about a fingers worth of chocolate colored head resulted from a moderately aggressive pour, doesn't last too long. No light can be seen through the body of this beer whatsoever.

i can smell strong boozy notes up front and immediately upon putting my nose to the glass. scents of vanilla/licorice, some dark chocolate, sweet rich malt. Very enjoyable nose.

The alcohol is very strong in the taste as well. Big bourgon flavors, lots of oakiness. Not tasting any kind of coffee, a hint of chocolate in the back, though. The booze really dominates everything else, its a bit overpowering.

Full bodied, but maybe not quite as thick as I had imagined it, which is a bit of a disappointment. I'm definitely getting a warming sensation in the back of my throat, which is always good on a cold night.

I can't get this in Oklahoma, and at 11.2%, i don't think i would want to drink very often if i could. This is definitely an interesting beer to try, but probably not one i would want to drink again and again. Thank you Beerwolf for the opportunity to try this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance - Pours black with 1/2 inch caramel colored head.

Smell - Probably the best smelling beer i've every had. Smells of
fresh brewed coffe, chocolate, oak & slight burbon.

Taste - Taste follows the nose with the except i get some vanilla
in the taste. Very well balanced beer, nothing is too
powering.

Mouthfull - Creamy with light carbonation.

Drinkability - Although this one is a sipper it's a very drinkable
beer, could probably take a four pack in one sitting if
I wanted to.

4.18/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to CooperEllis for sharing a bottle of this with me while we worked on the Secret Santa 2010 BIF box we're putting together.

It definitely got me working. Appearance is thick black and ruddy, basically the same as CBS. Smell is bourbon. Although it's tempered by a bit of chocolate and malt. Not too much though. It's a very heavy smell. The taste is like the regular base beer ... plus hints of bourbon. Could be leftover from the nose and not really in the beer itself, but the effect is the same. Finish is clean and it leaves you warm inside.

The mouth is full, carbonation low but its thick enough to coat the palate. I have to knock the drinkability though. I appreciate the regular Breakfast Stout (although a different beer) more than the CBS/KBS stouts because I feel like it got the booze right. This is too much. Without a doubt powerful though.

Side note: I want to make KBS and Brooklyn Black OPS into creatures and watch them fight.

4.7/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Beautiful rich deep dark stout with an auburn rim near the edge of the glass. It has a nice amount of head that is a nice tannish brown in color.

Smell: The scent of this beer is awesome. Vanilla hits my nose right at the start with strong bourbon notes right after. There is some definite but light earthy hopps and oak that linger after if you can dig through the intense bourbon. Some definite heat which is to be expected from something called a bourbon stout and that is 11.2 ABV.

Taste: The flavor profile is a complex mix of bourbon, coffee, vanilla, oak, licorice and spiciness that dances on your tongue and calls you to go back for another shot.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. light enough for all the flavors to coat the breadth of you tongue but thick enough to be savory. Light carbonation so as to not distract from the multitude of flavors.

Opinion: I would drink this everyday if I could, especially now that its winter. Sadly though I am stuck half a country away from the nearest distribution point. =( I miss you already KBS.

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a snifter.

A: Pours a thick black with a touch of mahogany at the edges if you hold it up to light. Actually a lot like black coffee in color. Decent sized light coffee colored head and nice lacing.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, coffee, bourbon, licorice, molasses, and bourbon. Decadent and beautiful.

T: at first, bourbon and coffee dominate (surprising, as coffee was less prominent thane vanilla and chocolate in the nose). Molasses and licorice take a back seat. Bitter dark chocolate seems subdued at first, but is prominent in the finish. Tobacco smoke
Is noticeable as well. As the beer warms, chocolate becomes more pronounced, but still takes a backseat to bourbon and coffee. Faint hints if cherries come through as the beer warms as well. Floral hops are present, but very subdued-you've got to pay attention to notice them. I love malty beers that are more bitter than sweet-that is to say, bitter in the sense of dark chocolate, molasses, and coffee as opposed to a hoppy bitter. This beer definitely fits the bill, as it comes across as slightly more bitter than sweet, although the bourbon provides a nice sweet balance. I should also point out that the beer gets better as it warms, to a point where it encouraged me to increase the already high score I had given for this category. Quite a while after finishing this one, my tongue thinks I just finished eating a fine bar of dark chocolate.

M: If this beer has a weak spot, this is it. It's full bodied, but not quite as thick as I expect from a world class impy stout. Still, it leaves a nice coating on the tongue and has just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Definitely a sipper. Yet I find it difficult to hold back and just sip and savor it, it's so delicious. Kudos to Founders for putting this in a 12oz-a bomber would be too much. Very happy to have a few if these, as I'm excited to see what some more age does for this beer.

4.28/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to Brian44556 for this on a trade...Super-excited to try this one, as even the label proclaims this as "highly acclaimed"...Pours an inky, dense black. No real head formed, which is surprising. Maybe the long trip via UPS or the temp I poured it at (a little cold)...in any event, I expected more from the pour. Impossible to tell how much carbonation just by looking. It looked oily and thick when it poured, so I'm a gonna guess sweeter than the avaerage stout. 11.2% ABV seems to hint at this also. Huge, delicious aromas. Almost unbelievable, really. Smells like a triple chocolate cake that has been plated on a small plate that has a tiny bit of Bourbon whiskey on it that soaked into the cake. It's luscious, and you can smell it across the room. Might be the best-smelling ale I've ever had. Maybe a hint of hot chocolate (i.e. some vanilla and cinnamon hints)...It's just so much like a chocolate dessert it's uncanny. Flavor is enormous and robust. The alcohol is evident and hot in the middle, warming on the finish. Loaded with heavily roasted chocolate malt, lots of espresso and dark chocolate bar notes also, right upfront. These morph into a more whiskey-cask middle, you can almost taste the barrell...I'm willing to bet this is elite on tap. From the bottle, it's harsher than one might expect from the nose. Complexities in the flavor profile are lost if served too cold, so let it warm up to cellar temp before pouring. Some other items roll out of the beer as it warms. Super complex and really delicious. The finish is long and has a nice, sharp bitterness that is one part roasty malt and the other hoppy goodness. This is probably expensive as hell, and this is not really sessionable beer. Absolutely worth tracking down.

What I like most: The amazing, chocolatey aroma profile.

What I like least: The lack of a good head.

Verdict: Really in a class of its own, this is unique, robust and a must try.

I had the distinct pleasure of sampling this once again relatively recently at a Founders promo at The Blind Tiger in NYC, but since I first sampled it on draft at The Tap Room in Warren, NJ, I got to show some love in this review to Kevin Torpey, who does a great job getting great beers like this on tap at a bar inside a hotel (Somerset Hills Hotel).

Into a tulip glass, it poured black with one finger of brown head that retained and laced extremely well. Smelled of oak, chocolate, chocolate milk, hazelnut liqueur, modest licorice, and cherry-vanilla. The taste was a fantastically balanced mixed of the aforementioned flavors, with a cherry-vanilla/modest alcohol-presence finish, and leaving a spiked chocolate milk aftertaste. No carbonation, and medium to full thickness...like liquid silk on the palate. This is another one of those beers that you would think could not be sessioned, yet it goes down extremely easily. Absolutely outstanding beer.

4.22/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours extremely dark brown/black, with two fingers of dark tan head that leaves a beautiful lacing.  Smells are bourbon, coffee, oak and brown sugar.  Tastes are brown sugar at front, bourbon, coffee, slight vanilla, man there are a lot of flavors going on here.  Mouthfeel  is pretty chewy, drinkability is a sipper for most, but I could drink 2-3 by myself.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company