Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,606
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +5%

Acquired this beauty thanks to BEERchitect. I've been dreaming of cracking this open for weeks. I've woken up in a cold sweat a few times dreaming of dancing Founders bottles with KBS letters flying out at me and into my mouth, and rivers of dark tasty liquid showering me in droves of awesomeness. And now its finally time to sample this thing. I feel like that virgin 17year old at prom that finally steps into the hotel room with his date, made of beer.

A: AS it pours it leaves a dark stain on the air. As it rims around the glass it also leaves a dark brown syrup on the sides, it so thick I can't even call it a stain. I can only match the thickness of this to 40W oil after it came out of a 200k mile car and was there almost all 200k miles. I can almost see chunks of grains floating out with it, but I think that's my brain on KBS. A very faint almost detectable head starts to appear, but it's just a tease as it fades from memory and leaves a few small cliques of bubbles

N: Despite being able to smell the roasted malts and chocolate from the stains on the air, I decided to go in deeper. I think I need someone to cover me. The nose is so overwhelming I think my insides just stained a dark coffee brown color. Tons of coffee and roasted malts just come billowing out of the glass on a horse of dark bakers chocolate. It does remind me a lot of regular breakfast stout at this point, but then comes the awesomeness of the bourbon and oak. The remnants of the bourbon and alcohol dance their way into my nostrils burning the edges slightly as my nose both cringes and begs for more like a sadomasochistic kid getting his first taste of the whip. Did I mention there was some coffee and chocolate there?

T: Oooohhhh snap! Here comes the train. The molasses thick oil like liquid slowly spreads out over my tongue. Lots of sweetness and chocolate come spreading out. The coffee instantly wakes my ass up, hence breakfast. The alcohol taste and burn really just lashes out at my mouth with hot pokers almost as if my mouth has just died and gone to hell. The bourbon taste starts to come through once the heavy set chocolate and coffee attempt to die out. And by attempt to die out I mean when your mouth starts to become used to it because this stuff never goes away. More dark sweetness that could only have come from the depths of Candyland hell start to berate my taste buds for attempting a second sip. It leaves a thick coating all around the mouth as if it was secretly made of wax that sticks when warm. It also seems to leave a slightly milky residue bringing me back to 5th grade and dousing my milk with so much chocolate I used to just take the Hersheys plastic container and fill IT with milk rather than the other way around. Some quick oats dash their way into the taste enough to make a horse blush. A touch of oak and vanilla round it off, if you can say that.

M: Really? Have you not figured out by now? Super thick and sticky, a viscosity of some huge number. The alcohol burns the edges of the mouth and any flesh that dares stand in it's way. Could use a slight bit of more carbonation, but that is most likely a product of the aging.

F: Finishes semi sweet, like just chewing on a piece of rubber coffee cake and then biting on some baker's chocolate. The thickness fills all the pours and taste buds so much so that I don't think I'll be able to taste my dinner tomorrow. The coffee's caffeine can't be absorbed anymore as everything is coated with that huge thick substance, more solid than liquid. The slight oak and vanilla, followed by bourbon and more alcohol seem to fade last on the tongue, except the chocolate and coffee which never disappear. With it being so ridiculously thick and strong tasting I can barely continue to sip it.

Final thoughts: While I'm sitting here enjoying this amazing beverage that I have been having wet dream about, I think my house is on fire, my son is probably in the corner chewing on wires or something, and the Patriots are somehow getting their butts kicked by Buffalo, but none of that matters as my world fades into a vertigo feeling as I blissfully attempt to consume and digest this crazy stuff. It's almost as if I'm living vicariously through myself trying to enjoy this, or am I still dreaming. Perhaps its a coma I slipped into when I took my first sip of it. I don't even think there is a word in the English language to describe it, so I'll make one up. This beer, is it still really a beer at this point, anyways this beer is transcendingerompteous. Need I say more? Can't wait till this stuff comes around again.

Edit: The Patriots came back to win with :50 left in the game, 2 hours later, just as I was finishing up the KBS!

4.95/5  rDev +7.1%

Usually, Im the type who is disappointed when something his hyped, this case did not hold true.

Just darkness. Angry deep black darkness. Thin and short lived brown head. Huge bouquet of chocolate malt, well roasted. No trace of bourbon or even alcohol for that matter. Just incredible depth.

Taste is beyond description, just more going on here than one's taste buds can tell. Ive never had something like this before. Tons of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, some smooth bittersweet malt (presumably from the bourbon), significant bitterness adds depth to the monstrous wall of dark chocolate. Bitterness is well blended in. Nice dry grassy hoppyness. Theres just an insane amount of flavor here, but its organized confusion.

Body is beyond just chewy, its more like a steak. Its a meal, full beyond comparison.

Its more than drinkable, its an easy addiction.

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%

Yum...

A- Dark dark dark! Opaque black with brown head and decent lacing, moderate head retention.

S- Coffee, vanilla, bourbon, dark malts... just smells delicious, there's more to be found in every whiff.

T- Oh wow... not as much bourbon as BCS, but I love it! Big roasted malts, espresso, some dark fruit, bourbon, chocolate--it changes with every sip. Not very much alcohol in there either.

M- Velvety and thick--perfect for the double imperial stout.

D- Gotta slow down, but this one is epic. I love it.

4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into snifter. ('08)
A: Lacing hangs to the side of glass, color is dark as night. Mild retention, expected for a stout of this stature.

S: Slightly smokey bourbon which mixes with a scent of oaky dark fruits (prunes/raisins) that cannot be overlooked beyond the everpresent irish/coffee undertone.

T: The coffee overtones complement the everpresent boozy character which allows this to be such a strong stout that is also paired with a dominating aged fruit body.

M: Thick full-body with adequate carbonation. At first it appears that you are sipping an ealry morning mocha which quickly turns into a slightly acidic magic bullet with tones of coffee, roasted malt, and bourbon chocolate that diffuse into a pleasing aged fruit character.

D: This russian imperial stout not meant for summer sessions; but rather long, cold winter nights.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

My first review in a while that did not come from Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem, rather I picked this up at one of my spots just over the border in Pburg, NJ. Been looking for this one for a loooong time, so I was thrilled to finally get a shot at a legend.

A: Jet black color with a micro thin tan head that disappears almost immediately but leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Bourbon and coffee dominate the nose with chocolate shavings underneath.

T: Starts with a SMOOTH bourbon infused chocolate flavor which is balanced perfectly by an undertone of lightly astringent/ bitter coffee/ hops flavor.

M: Full bodied but extremely smooth with little carbonation. A pretty easy drinker for a beer of this strength.

D: The smoothness of this brew really blew me away, I didn't think a beer of this size could be drunk that easy. Probably the best bourbon barrel aged brew I've had as the bourbon flavor was perfectly balanced with the other flavors. I've been sold on Founders for a while, but this brew is a further testament to their greatness. I still think their Impy Stout is better, but if you're a fan of Founders try this beer at all costs.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Very dark, almost black with a small amount of brown head.

S: Roasted coffee aroma with a hint of bourbon.

T: Nice coffee and chocolate taste with a bourbon finish. This beer got better with each drink. I had heard a lot about this one and was not disappointed.

M: Smooth with just enough carbonation.

D: I would definitely get more when it becomes available again.

3.88/5  rDev -16%

A: Pours pitch black with very small head that diminishes into a very small ring.

S: The smell is fantastic! Aromas of coffee, whiskey, milk chocolate, and dark roasted malt.

T: The taste mimics the nose but without any whiskey flavor which is pretty disappointing. I was expecting more milk chocolate/vanilla flavors and they are no where to be found. There's a hop/burnt malt bitterness in the finish which really wasn't what I was expecting either.

M: It coats the mouth and feels about like an imperial stout. Very light carbonation at first but it shows up if you swirl it in your mouth.

D: The bitter finish and the disappearing act the whiskey does in the taste plus the high ABV really don't make this very drinkable for me.

I was really excited when I smelled this beer but the flavor really came up short for a bourbon aged beer. I didn't think I'd say this but I think I prefer Bourbon County Stout to this.

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz. bottle, shared at an impromptu throwdown at CCB today. poured into a snifter.

A: Almost opaque, dark brown color. The pour produces a finger of sand color head the retained nicely and left nice spotty lace.

A: I get the coffee at first, almost like used coffee grounds. Then hints of vanilla and chocolate. The burbon is not in your face, but present.

T: There's the burbon. Subtle but very nice. Again, I get the coffee, vanilla, and chocolate, and a very nice earthiness. Finishes dry and burbony, with just a hint of alcohol.

M: Silky smooth from the barrel aging. The carbonation delivers the flavors nicely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is great! I am a coffee and burbon fan, so this one is just about perfect. This is a must have, and worthy of its place among the best beers in the world. Skal.

4.33/5  rDev -6.3%

Another excellent bonus from Masterski.

Pours pretty much flat black: no head, a little white lacing. The smell is whiskey, dark dried fruits, toffee, cocoa. The taste is burnt malt, chocolate, whiskey, more chocolate, of the salty, bitter, unsweetened variety, in the aftertaste; coffee taste is mild but throughout. It's viscous, low in carbonation, nicely filling. Too easy to drink: the alcohol is not apparent.

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

On the unofficial last night of summer, I figured that I would cap off an incredible summer of beer consumption with one more special treat from my trip to Pittsburgh one week ago. The trip that brought Yellow Bus, BA Decadence, and BA Yeti continues to give. Picked this bottle up at the Fathead's bottle shop.

A: Just about everything you would expect from a big imperial stout. Thick in the pour like a used 10-W30 motor oil. It almost looks like syrup as it leaves the bottle and deposits itself in my glass with hardly a disturbance to the surface. Black, dark, and creamy. The laces start as thick rings and finish as speckles of foam as the lacing slowly slid back into the beer. The only thing missing here is a bit of head.

S: Where do I even start? Hazelnut coffee and dark roasted malts spring out of the beer into my anxiously waiting nostrils. Bourbon and vanilla find their way with a little more effort, and as I bury my nose in my glass, I can make out some freshly ground coffee beans as well, rounding out a stellar aroma.

T: Complexity out the ass...let's see how I can describe it...It starts with the roasted flavor of dark coffee. As the beer sits on my tongue, maple syrup swarms around my pallet as if I just drowned a stack of pancakes and went in for the first bite. Oakey and vanilla notes fill in as the syrup reluctantly bows out and all of a sudden BAM! There is the bourbon. It really gets you, and if you love bourbon, this is a dream come true. The bourbon, like the rest of the flavors, lingers just long enough to satisfy, then moves on. It gives way back to coffee in the aftertaste, and a slight taste of alcohol in the exhale, bringing the flavor full circle.

M/D: Extremely thick, as I mentioned before. Every bit as thick as the pour indicates. Almost no carbonation at all. The texture is silky, smooth, and creamy. The complexity is the most amazing part of this beer. I have never experienced so many flavors in such even and well- balance proportions. A bit too heavy for more than 2, but an absolutely phenomenal beer. I am so happy that I was able to enjoy this.

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet. Bottled 2/16/09

A - Pours an opaque, pitch black. A vague attempt at forming a head, but it ultimately fails, only creating a short lasting dark tan colored collar and small islands on the surface.

S - Smells heavily of coffee, deep and roasty. Dark chocolates and licorice join in with a faint bourbony aroma and a hint of vanilla too. Very thin alcohol smell contributes as well.

T - Taste closely mirrors the aroma. Lots of coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Heavy roastiness. Vanilla flavors keep things smooth. Bourbon flavor adds nice complexity without lots of alcohol burn...just a nice warmth. Where GI BCS is bourbony and hot, this is smooth, complex, and much more drinkable.

M - Thick and oily feeling. Coats the entire mouth. Alcohol level and bourbon aging provide some warmth that lingers. Vanilla stays well into the aftertaste and gives a rich, smooth finish.

D - Bourbon barrel aged beers take on lots of different characteristics. This is probably my favorite of these beers. The aging gives lots of added flavors making this beer taste great. The big trick is obtaining the complexity without the heat - something this accomplishes very well. I want to feel like I'm drinking a beer (albeit a strong one), not a shot of bourbon. Given the strength of this, it is extremely smooth and drinkable...just great for this style.

4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

bottled on 02/16/09, poured into pint glass from 12floz bottle

A - bottle pours a pretty thick pitch black liquid, that only forms about a single mm of head after a forced pour. the body is pitch black. head is so incredibly minimal that is is quite a let-down on the visual aspect. what little head there is has a medium-dark brown colour to it.

S - the top note is espresso. smells quite a lot like chocolate covered espresso beans, which is the chocolate aspect mixing into the predominant coffee part. the mid note is dark roasted malts, while the rest of the aroma way down below it all is this slight whiskey flavour, a bit spicy and boozy, but for the most part the nose is completely dominated by this chocolate covered espresso bean aroma. would have liked to see more of the kentucky aspect, and have a much bigger whiskey presence.

T - the taste is like a mirror refleciton of the nose: majority is this distinctive choco-espresso bean flavour, while the malts are in the middle with some slight whiskey taste. the initial taste is the choco-espresso and some slightly sweet malts; bitterness is definite at 70 ibu but there is no real identifiable hoppy bitterness, nothing vegetal; slight alcohol warmth and minimal whiskey taste along with it. the finish has more of a dry alcohol taste than a whiskey burn. the espresso bean flavour also stays with us for the entire finish; slightly more bitter at the far end of the finish than the rest of the process. the aftertaste is like i've had a handful of dark chocolate covered espresso beans. I am throughly unimpressed with the beer; though it is very smooth and tastes pretty good, the redundancy of the taste and distinct lack of whiskey is much to much to ignore.

MF&D - the one real redeeming factor for this brew is that it is very very drinkable despite the high abv. one hardly (sadly) taste the alcohol or whiskey barreling process. aside from that, the body of the beer is too thin for the style. american doubles are supposed to be thicker than an ris, but this is barely cutting it for that. it has a heavy body, but one at the far light side of heavys. not something for which I would dish out the money again, much prefer the regular breakfast stout.

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Many thanks to rnorgart for the hook-up in his Ghetto Fabulous BIF! 12oz bottle into a Great Divide tulip (bottled on 2/17/09).

According to the label, KBS "is good for everything a stout ought to be good for". So I guess if I ever run low on motor oil, this beer just might do the trick. After all, it pours like the stuff--viscous, oily, black. A dark brown head creeps slowly from the depths beneath and eventually settles to a scant ring of foam. A few speckles of lacing cling to the glass. An earthy, musty aroma eminates from the hops amidst a black sea of baker's chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans, and vanilla-rich bourbon. The alcohol is hardly noticeable...quite a feat considering the monster ABV on this thing. Sharp, woody tannins and spice round out the astounding aroma.

Designer dark chocolate bars and booze-soaked bourbon-barrel planks fight for the tastebuds, with the alcohol eventually winning the rights to the back of the tongue and throat. The finish is sticky with a warming booze and bitter with earthy hops, but neither in a harsh way. Few beers completely coat the lips, tongue, and roof of the mouth like KBS. This. stuff. is. THICK. Thankfully, there's enough carbonation to keep this behemoth afloat, as the mouthfeel is equal parts velvety smooth and spiced with booze. Founders manages to both set trends in the American craft brewing industry and simultaneously raise the bar, and as such, KBS deserves its place among the top of the the category that is "Extreme Brewing".

4.1/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle. Pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts, chocolate peanut butter, coffee, and a touch of bourbon. Flavor is a touch more bourbony with more chocolate and lots of coffee. The bourbon is light but definitely present in the flavor. This is s good beer! Better than the original? Maybe...

3.6/5  rDev -22.1%

12oz bottle thanks to bret27. Black with a tan head. The aroma has dominating coffee, mixed with plenty of oak and alcohol. Hot flavor with a little bourbon, wood, and coffee. Medium-full body with some tannic, woody astringency and alcohol burn in the finish. A blast of flavor, with a cool mix of coffee and bourbon that works a little better than in the aroma. The mouthfeel definitely brings it down though, with too much astringency and alcohol. This is one that I can see liking a lot better with a good deal of age on it to soften things.

4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle courtesy of Wilwfu

Appearance: Jet black w/minimal dark brown head.

Smell: Roasty, vanilla, bourbon

Taste: Sweet, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness. Somewhat thick mouthfeel, but not chewy. The bourbon burn kind of hits half way through and leaves a little burn on the way down but not so much as to overpower flavor or make undrinkable. Bourbon also thins the body quite a bit. More so than CBS or FBS.

Overall: exceptional very delicious imperial stout.

4.85/5  rDev +5%

This one reminds me a lot of the GL BA Blackout Stout. Bottle pours black with an aroma that makes me want to keep smelling and drinking it. Smells of dark coffee and some bourbon abound. Head is a dark tan, almost milk chocolate color. Head does not last very long. Tastes like roasted coffee and bourbon from the first sip to last. Mouthfeel is velvety silky smooth with some occasional hints of oats. This is simply an outstanding brew and is easily of my favorites.

4.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Poured into a chalice. Pours very dark black and no head, but its was cold at 36F

S: I let it warm until 50f to review: Nice, very strong but smooth bourbon or Kentucky straight whiskey notes.with coffee and Vanilla notes. I also detect a bitter chocolate whiff.

T: its strange though your nose is telling you your drinking strong bourbon, your mouth is tasting, a stout with strong chocolate, vanilla, and oak, lots of caramel malt, no hops detected period. I don't taste any coffee, because the bourbon taste pretty much overloads everything at first.

M: Silky and heavy, very heavy in fact. Its a stout, a Imperial Stout at that, no mistaken that here.

D: Well since I only bought 2 I cannot really say, but I want another one, just not going to pay the mail order price, but these 2 were damn fine beers.

4.45/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow! This beer is worth all the hype. Amazing stout! It was very enjoyable.

Poured into a chalice. Pours very dark black and a very thin brown head.

Smells very boozy with coffee and bourbon notes.

Taste is wonderful! This beer is very good. Alot going on with this one! Coffee and roasty flavors followed by slight alcohol burn mixed with the bourbon and oak which balance well with each other! This is the best barrel aged beer i have ever tried. The vanilla taste comes out in the beer in the aftertaste with a bit of boozy taste, but it is not overwhelming at any time! It is done well.

Mouthfeel just adds to this beers appeal! The mouthfeel wonderful. It is like a thick silk on your toungue with flavours that coat your mouth making you want another sip.

The drinkabllity is right where it should be for a beer of this class. After i drank this beer i wanted another, even though i know that one was plenty! At almost 12% this beer goes down easy. I enjoy sipping and savouring the beer, but i really want to drink several in one sitting. If you in joy stout u owe it to yourself to get this beer!!!

3.88/5  rDev -16%

Got this beer in trade with SonicDescent

Pours a thin 1 finger chocolate head. Body is pitch black and no light is seen through the beer. Head retention was barely above average and lacing was a little better.

Smell is similar to Breakfast Stout, lots of bitter chocolate and coffee. Smells very sweet like Bourbon County Stout, has that soy sauce aroma mixed with some alcohol. As beer warms up the oak from the barrel comes out nicely.

First taste I'm getting is definitely alcohol, but not really bourbon. This is more like just raw alcohol, maybe vodka. Not getting the vanilla flavor that I love from Bourbon. Bitterness is definitely coming through in this beer also. As the beer warms up the oak is more pronounced. Heat and warming sensation from the alcohol is very present. Unlike Breakfast Stout, the chocolate and coffee flavors are less present, they really take backseat to alcohol, oak and bitter after taste.

Carbonation of the beer is good, not under carbonated by any means. Body is similar to Breakfast Stout, not as rich as I would have hoped and the head was gone pretty fast.

This beer is definitely a sipper. Not very session able but a few of these would go a long way. The barrel aging was apparent, which was nice. Only wish that the alcohol was dialed down a bit. Cant say I agree with the ranking of this beer on best of BA but still a great stout

Fack it. Best beer to share. So good. Coffee-y bourbony. Damn. Lacing slowly falls from the top to the 7/8 area of the glass. So goddamned good. A+s throughougt.
Sooo good. To the no I won't do it. Too damn good. Luckily I have a lot left. My favorite I've tasted but i know I'm gonna love CBS since I looove maple syrup.

4.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours an absolutely gorgeously thick pitch black with a nice little brown head. smells amazing. bourbon, coffee beans, chocolate, vanilla, etc.

this one is big. heavy alcohol in the nose. chocolate/bourbon sweetness up front. alcohol burn on the backside of the tongue and going down. a bitter roastiness throughout, that retains only a hint of the coffee bean flavor suggested by the smell (seemingly due to the bourbon taking over the coffee flavors). a nice dark chocolate flavor accompanies the bourbon, making this a great dessert beer. absolutely destroys regular breakfast stout. it tastes (and smells) like a mix between bourbon county stout and black butte XXI, for those of you who are familiar with those two beers.

it may be slightly over-carbonated, but it has the "motor oil" thickness so essential to the mouthfeel of great imperial stouts. drinkability is hindered by the on-the-verge-of-overwhelming alcohol presence.

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Beautiful is all I can say. Dark with a thin brown head, and a swirling middle in which small bubbles of flavor rose up from the depths.

S-Earthy malty goodness with a fine hint of Espresso and woody sweetness I assume is from the aging process.

T-Taste was complex. You can definitely taste the espresso and the oatmeal backbone which holds up well with the heat of the alcohol. The sweetness of the bourbon comes through. This beer is to savored like a finely cooked steak and should be sipped slowly allowing all the favors to cross your palette.

M-The carbonation is there even though its lost in the initial blackness. This beer is thick like a good cup of Joe. It coats the tongue nicely and stays in the mouth allowing you to get through all the levels of flavor.

D - This is one beer session my friends, any more than one is a waste. Hey take your time with this one is all I can say. So I lowered the score on drink ability. You will not crack this one open after mowing a lawn, but if you definitely like to end the day on a high note this one will do.

4.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Review #350 - finally getting around to reviewing this classic brew. Picked up a ton of the '09 vintage at the release party. Served in my Surly pint glass.

A - One finger of dark tan/mocha foam that slowly dissipates to a solid cap and ring and leaves a pretty solid lace. Pitch black brew, with no light anywhere to be found. The only thing lacking is head volume, which is forgivable for a 11.2% brew.

S - Intense smell of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, and roasted malts. Strongly reminds me of a Coffee Crisp chocolate bar soaked in whiskey, which is a great thing as I love both of those things. As it warms up there are more subtle notes of wood and hazelnuts. It's just a wonderfully balanced and well-integrated combination of flavors.

T - The taste is terrific, but not quite as rich as the smell. Very strong onset of chocolate and vanilla flavors, before transitioning into light whiskey and a strong roasty bitterness that lingers well into the aftertaste. Never tastes particularly hot or over-the-top.

M - Very low carbonation, super creamy and soft in texture, with a mediuum-thick body. Leaves behind lots of residual stickiness that complements the roasty aftertaste. There's a nice bit of warming that happens after a while.

D - This is one of the few high ABV barrel-aged stouts where I want more than a single 12oz bottle. The lovely sweet flavors keep the booziness from getting out of hand and the wonderful texture makes it something I just can't stop sipping.

It's exceptional that a beer that is pretty readily available (at least during March) maintains such a high level of quality. One of the few stouts in the top 100 that isn't overrated.

4.3/5  rDev -6.9%

Twist of 12 oz. bottle acquired in a trade

Bottle opened with a hiss, initial smell is fantastic.

KBS is thick with a heavy body. Dark Black, a little foam that looks like a dark brown froth, poured into my tulip glass.

The smell is fantastic, lots of chocolate, roasted coffee, a hint of bourbon which all come together nicely.

I taste a really good chocolate stout, good bitterness on the finish, the bourbon is well integrated, not boozy. I personally like a little more bourbon heat. KBS is so balanced where all the flavors meld well together, and no flavor profile is too dominating.

The mouthfeel is excellent, thick and creamy mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation. My favorite aspect of this beer.

Overall, for a stout coming in at 11.2%, this stout is as drinkable and delicious as I have ever had. Glad to have another bottle, going to need to trade for some more and stock up for winter.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company