Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,158
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,751 | Hads: 10,493

Honestly the best beer I have ever had, I'm pretty sure explication isn't needed for why this is one of the top 5 beers that's still being produced RIP CBS (155 characters)

KBS '15 was great. So great I sought out a case of it via a favor from a local distributor to man me their 1 case limit. Complements do not express the experience. Do not miss the chance to try it. (198 characters)

Cream of the crop currently. This is one of my favorite stouts. I had a chance to have it from tap and in the bottle. Both were satisfying. Hard to come by and there was a 1 bottle max per person, but I had the chance to snag a few.

Overall, great beer. (255 characters)

I absolutely love this stout. It's like drinking a chocolate/coffee/vanilla milkshake with a shot of sweet sweet bourbon in it. Absolutely fantastic and well done. (163 characters)

Let me just say that I hate the after taste of bourbon. This beer starts to give you that aftertaste and then pours on chocolate to mask the bourbon and make it delicious. I'm nervous to say this but KBS is probably the best beer I've ever had. (244 characters)

On tap at House of Pizza. All I can say is this truly lives up to and transcends all the hype. This is honestly the best beer I've ever had. I will write a more formal review once my mind is capable... But for now I must continue to drink this godly brew. (255 characters)

2015, on tap and in bottle are both amazing (No hype required). I won't compare it to the other bourbon aged beers because it has its own unique way of doing things. To me the bourbon is present but it is more subtle and doesn't overwhelm the other flavors of chocolate and coffee. I do love the bourbon heavy beers as well, but KBS is much smoother and refined imo. Had a chance to meet Jeremy K. The brew master at a local seminar and local tapping. Smaller town in MN and was not crowded at all. Very laid back and humble about all his beers. I haven't rated a lot of good beers that I should have. I would say, don't pick a favorite. Also just because it's new and super rare and you got some, doesn't make it better or worse than those who have been perfecting their style and can make more of it. Beer isn't a hipster fashion trend it's been around a long time and will be for a long time. (897 characters)

Essentially the KBS is an enhanced version of the FBS.
A: Midnight black with thin tan like head.
S: Rich notes of dark roast coffee with chocolate and some malty sweetness. Definitely can smell the bourbon.
T: I can really detect the strong notes of coffee and chocolate. Tastes a bit boozy, but combined with the complexity of sweetness and chocolate goodness it is a home run.
M: Mild amount of carbonation, very full bodied mouthfeel.
O: This is an excellent beer, i'm glad to have finally tried it…it's a perfect 5 to me…the first beer i've ever given such a high mark!! Kudos to you Founders!! (605 characters)

The first stout that truly made me enjoy this style of beer. Sweet, chocolatey on the front end, with the familiar bourbon bite on the back end. Truly a fantastic beer. (168 characters)

For years, I've wanted to try this gem, and despite my best efforts, I was never able to snag even a single bottle; but alas, this year I succeeded! Thanks to my friend Jake, who works at Vineyard Liquors in Plano, IL I was able to score a bottle of this and Firestone Walker's Parabola (cue squeal of delight!), and safe to say, this beer not only met but FAR exceeded my expectations. However, it's hard to really describe this beer because of how harmonious the flavors, aromas and textures play together, alas, this being a beer 'review', I shall sum it up as best I can.

Midnight black, aromas of mellow bourbon and chocolate; vanilla, coffee, bourbon and chocolate dance playfully and beautiful upon the palette.

Maybe it's shock, but that's the best I can do right now!
Some day, I would to trade / buy a bottle to sit on for a year.

Salude! (852 characters)

Like vanilla bourbon. Holy shit that's amazing. Mouthfeel not as full as if expect but seems just right. I don't even get the coffee and chocolate notes. Which is a good thing because as I've said before: coffee- and/or chocolate-forward stouts are cliché.

#MensJournal100Best2014 (282 characters)

Draft at World of Beer Easton, poured into a 5 oz. tasting glass.

With over 10k ratings, there really isn't anything new or novel I can say about this beer. A fantastic stout with prominent flavors of coffee and bourbon. If you haven't had it, give it a try. It's one worth crossing off your list. (301 characters)

I had the pleasure of having this on tap up at Moe's in Mass. Absolutely a fantastic beer. Ive always been a fan of the breakfast stout and had KBS in a bottle once but having it on draft... not much comes close.

Appearance: Very dark. opaque and has a brilliant dark brown head to it. not a ton of carbonation coming off

Smell: Quite well balanced. The main players here are coffee and bourbon. there is a nice hint of chocolate

Taste: This is where having it on tap makes a huge difference. So it starts off with coffee and bourbon then transitions to a smooth chocolate with maybe a hint of vanilla. The end is quite smooth with more bourbon woody coffee and an almost creamy hint. a good amount of sweetness to deal with the bourbon and covers the alcohol which you cant taste at all. You can keep sipping on this all day long

Mouth feel: almost viscous and super pleasant. thick and creamy. hits the mouth and coats the tongue. Perfect for a stout

Overall: If i didnt have to drive, i would have sat there all night getting stupid. a really fantastic beer; one which i can not say enough good things about. Would put it in the top 5 if not top 3 with Heady and World Wide. Just a beautiful beer and if you ever have a chance to try it, sell your first born or whatever, just do it! (1,292 characters)

Amazing beer. Great coffee/chocolate and slight oak taste from draft. Alcohol isn't over the top by any means but it hits you.

Very hard to find, even in MI. Goes from $8-15 a bottle from stores. On tap in very select locations. I paid $10 for a 10oz draft. (259 characters)

Absolutely perfect beer. There isn't another on the market that can replicate this. I have tried in homebrewing but can't come close.....but who should expect to get close to such a great brewery? (198 characters)

I really love this beer. Its hard to find though. I drink these in the morning. This is one of those beers you start to drink cold but it warms and it still tastes just as good. color is perfect. Smell is incredible. Tastes like bourbon and i like that. Mouthfeel is like a party in your mouth. You gotta love this beer. Pick it up when you can. (345 characters)

Someone gifted me a bottle of this years release yesterday. Couldn't take it any longer and cracked it open today. Poured like the old oil out of my Toyota. Smells like a dream. Coffee, Chocolate, Bourbon and Vanilla explosion. The coffee takes the front seat on the taste. There is just enough chocolate and bourbon there to compliment things. The alcohol kick is fabulous and changes as the beer warms. I sipped this one as long as I could. (442 characters)

Editing to add a review just had on draft.
pouts a nice just black with a little dark drown head. leaves a nice lacing.

smells of coffee, chocolate some bourbon. very pleasing.

taste is phenomenal. a little coffee, chocolate caramel a little trace of bourbon.

smooth as silk a little light but wow.

Ias much as i liked this in a bottle to have on draft is amazing. it is an orgasm in a glass. easily in my top 3 favorite beers (432 characters)

Yes, I am calling this beer perfect. I cannot get over how all of the wonderful flavors blend together to create such a unique experience. My initial taste was bourbon, but as the beer warmed more and more flavors came to light, especially malt and chocolate. I found one bottle, but I need to find at least one more before this goes away for the year, I'd like to age it some and taste the results. Smooth, clean, fresh. As the description says, this is not simply barrel aged breakfast stout, this is an entirely different beer. An amazing experience.

Bottle poured into a snifter (584 characters)

This is always one of the most hyped/limited beers out there in my area (RVA). I even went to the big box total wine the day it was supposed to be delivered and the manager told me they were only getting 1 case (1 bottle per person). imagine my surprise to find it on draft at Brew (chester, VA). Now I know what all the hype is about. (335 characters)

Well, we'll, well. KBS...must be.... Unicorn blood. Elixir of Life! Holy water. Water from the fountain of youth. Perfection. All I can say is, you have to try it for your self. Perfectly balanced stout. When you drink it the heavens of your senses open up. No too much or too little of anything. Coffee.... Vanilla.... CHOCOLATE.... Simultaneously (348 characters)

I hate to give a beer a perfect score especially after it being the 2nd beer I am reviewing on BA but I have had my fair share and I know a good, perfectly amazing beer when I try one. And this is it.

A: Pours still with lacy dark chocolate pecan colors and thin head that edges to the side of the glass.

S: Smokes the nose with intake of tobacco, smokiness, chocolate and staled bourbon essence.

T: Light and silky while cold with burnt coco flavors, maybe some toasty marsh mellows, finishes on the taste buds with a smooth flavor of bourbon as it warms up, hints of pecans and even darker chocolate.

M: Still as the black night, steady, thick but ready to go down perfectly from start to finish.

O: This beer changed my way of thinking, experiencing and most likely brewing beers. A style unique but does not shun anyone from enjoying and experiencing a very delicious stout.

Thank you, thank you.... (909 characters)

The Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the second best stout I have ever had next to the Bourbon County Coffee. Nice flavour all the way through and is remarkably smooth. Although the alcohol content is high, the taste is really light. This is a stout I could drink a bunch of as opposed to the coffe which is more if a one and done. (326 characters)

Been waiting to try this beer for over a year. I am not really a stout fan. This beer is deserving of a 5 rating. It's everything I was hoping it would be. (155 characters)

I do not fan boy a lot of beer, but for me, this is as good as it gets.

This beer pours darker than most any beer I have seen. The color resides somewhere between french press coffee, and oil. If poured in a tulip glass the edges reflect a beautiful tinge of mahogany.

The smell is unreal. This beer is 11.2abv, and you can smell a little bit of alcohol. Most of the aroma from beer rests around roasted flavors, peaking around bitternotes with flavors of coffee and oak, and sweet notes with touches of cream and molasses.

Taste is out of this world. When served chilled your roasted barleys and chocolates pop along with bitter notes of american hops. The aromas of hop flavors are suppressed between coffee and cocoa notes, but the bitterness is still there bringing out some of the sweeter tastes of malted milk, and cream. At a more cellar temp. this beer will bust out fruity elements hinting at notes of wild blackberry. Like I said before, the alcohol still supplies a noticeable bite on the back end.

Mouthfeel is perfectly weighted drifting slowly over all plains of the tongue dancing ever so slightly between savory and sweet tastes. Viscosity looks a lot heavier than it actually is, but this comes as a relief in the end as the flavors are so complex a quick finish is most likely favored to ensure all elements of the beer can be enjoyed. (just my opinion, may be total bullshit.)

Overall, this beer is the only beer I would go broke for. It only comes once a year, and it is by far the most consistent and satisfying beer that founders currently produces. If you get a chance, enjoy this beer with a friend, but beware, you may never experience something this good again. (1,696 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company