Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,315
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros

Fitzmke, Feb 08, 2012

iparaez, Mar 08, 2013

noah37, Apr 06, 2014

Scottyhope, Jun 26, 2014

Will_Turner, Jun 07, 2012

Cobrakaikid, Jul 21, 2012

wsnich, Jan 23, 2013

beast464, Jan 25, 2012

Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS)
Founders Brewing Co.
Imperial Stout (of the finest kind)
11.2% ABV
OG?
70 IBUs
12 oz bottle (from March 2010) poured into a New Belgium snifter on September 22, 2010.

Appearance 5/5
Pours black with a very dark brown head that is quick to dissipate into a thin collar. Expected from a high ABV barrel aged beer. Dark brown on the edges when held up to light.

Aroma 5/5
Coffee, dark chocolate, sweet bourbon in huge amounts. Some alcohol too, which is expected.

Taste 5/5
First impression is bliss. Bittersweet; malts and bourbon lend the sweetness, coffee and dark chocolate contribute towards the bitterness. Very rich, complex, and delicious taste that finishes bitter, and has a character like powdered chocolate. Some acidity of coffee is also felt. Alcohol warming is evident as well. But, this is not an extreme beer, it's a fine example of balancing the extremes.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Silky and full, but not very big. Medium carbonation, bitter, medium finish. Not cloying at all. A stronger body won't hurt this beer, but this is perfection as it is. Who am I to comment?

Drinkability 5/5
Given the alcohol, it's a sipper. But the great taste doesn't let it be one. I can keep drinking this forever.

Other
When I had it first, I thought it was the best beer I ever had. Still belongs in my "all time best beers" category and for a beer of this kind, there's only one that comes close or equals or possibly exceeds it by a tiny bit: Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout. Can only be determined in a side by side tasting, yet to come. KBS is good for everything a stout ought to be good for.

tewaris, Sep 22, 2010

award0705, Nov 17, 2011

I have to start by giving a big Thanks! to antzman for holding this 4 pack for me. You're awesome!

On a whim, I decided to crack the first of these open tonight and share with the wifey. It oozes out of the bottle deep space black with a very small caramel head. This looks very deep and dark and foreboding...

The heavenly aroma of coffee and chocolate rush my sense of smell as I inhale deeply. I've smelled great stouts before but this one is special...different somehow. Touches of bourbon intermingle with the chocolate and coffee giving this the best aroma of any beer ever..

I can't really expound on the hundreds of descriptions given to this legendary brew and I won't even try. It's fantastic...simply fantastic. Loads of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, and even hints of vanilla assault the tastebuds as this one goes down and the wife and I instantly know we are in rare company.

I was expecting this to be good but not this good. I've heard the hype about this one for a while and couldn't believe that it could be that good. I was wrong. This is, without a doubt, the best Imperial Stout that I've ever had. Not because it's harder to get, not because of the hype. It just tastes, smells, looks, and feels better than the rest. The remaining 3 will be shared by the wife and I and maybe a few close friends as I don't expect to ever have my hands on this brew again. Thanks again, antzman, for making this happen..

Tilley4, Mar 22, 2008

Jzmhector, Nov 14, 2011

gtrope87, Aug 15, 2014

Total darkness - a pitch black body with nary a highlight, topped by a three-finger light tan head, excellent lacing. Head drops very quickly. Great label, too. Surprised it got approved.

Big aroma of bourbon/vanilla/oak, with deep roast coffee and chocolate undercurrents.

Taste starts with coffee, adds a dark Hershey kiss, a healthy dollop of vanilla, some oak, and a dash of earthy hops at the finish. Bit of late belly warming as it slides down the throat.

Smooth, silky mouthfeel coats everything in the mouth. For such a big beer, wonderous drinkability.

Might not want to start my day with this, but its a damn fine way to end it.

RonfromJersey, Sep 05, 2006