2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,134 | Reviews: 2,415 | Show All Ratings:
jdkitchi

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured black with large brown head into a large snifter. There was good head retention and sticky lacing.

I mostly get wet coffee grounds on the nose along with some malt. There is a somewhat sweet coffee flavor up front. I get a little bit of cocoa and bourbon barrel after that. The mouth feel is medium.

About halfway through I'm getting more of a balance of the bourbon barrel flavor with the coffee. I started this at cellar temp of about 55F but I think it's a little better as it warms up from there.

I don't know if it is worth the $7 for a 12 oz bottle. Goose Island BCBS is much more intense. Central Waters BS has much more of the bourbon barrel notes. Overall, this is a very good imperial coffee stout.

04-18-2013 00:26:51 | More by jdkitchi
BMMillsy

4.06/5  rDev -12.3%

2012 Bottle tried pretty much as fresh as can be after purchasing it at a store. Pours motor oil like with no head. Smells of heavy chocolate, vanilla, licorice, wood, bourbon and boozy. Taste is like chocolate sauce and light bourbon booze. Very good, but a bit hot. The palate on this one is thinner than I would have expected, and this is usually the impression I get from the BA coffee stouts. Not sure if it's due tot he acidity, but something about the coffee-barrel combination makes things seems thing to me. Lingering bourbon vanilla on the palate and warmth in the throat. Actually like the standard breakfast stout better. Gotta find some again.

Tried a 2011 bottle on Dec 20, 2012. Same impression as before, like the regular FBS better, but this one is a nice warming yumminess. Only complaint is there’s no more coffee flavor. Just sort of bourbony, and slightly metallic but nothing serious.

2013 bottle pretty fresh on 5/3/13. This one seems thicker than before with a little more vanilla. Bourbon is still a little harsh and there are others of the stule I prefer. Still a neat beer though.

03-18-2012 14:39:59 | More by BMMillsy
marksto

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

A surprise micro-keg was unveiled at the Indiana Brewer's Guild festival this year - near pandemonium ensued when it was tapped and it lasted all of about 10 minutes.. Thanks to Dave and Founders for making it available.

Pours opaque, jet black, and with a small head with light cocoa-coloring to what is there. Has big oak, coffee, roast, even a little smoke in the nose. Flavor dominates with coffeeish roastiness followed with a little oak and a slight bourbon essence. The bourbon is surprisingly light - just a slight essence. Body and mouthfeel actually seemed kind of light for the style, more in tune with that of a regular stout than an american double.

Overall, a very nice beer but for me not quite worthy of the major status acclaimed here. Perhaps it would be different from the bottle, Maybe I'll get a chance to see sometime, In the meantime glad to have had the opportunity today.

07-22-2007 03:20:33 | More by marksto
jstilwell

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to weirdbeer for bringing this to the Kate the Great tapping!. Glad I have a few more coming in another trade!

This bad boy pours an absolutely beautiful jet black motor oil with a thin dark brown head that exhibits intermittent shades of burgundy and purplish tints. Nice lacing on my glass and a fair amount of crabonation bubbles as well. The scent is overwhelming with the bourbon but upon swirling the complexities come out. Although this scent reminds me of my Ol' Grandad/Jack Daniels days, I can also detect deep wood, vanilla, coffee and a hint of black pepper. This is truly spicy but also has a mix of syrup and caramel on the initial sip. This turns to mild bitter chocolate and a serious big ass bourbon blast for the finish! mouthfeel is thick, heavy and smooth though not quite creamy. There is no way in hell I would crack a second one of these consecutively, but I do look forward to a time when I can share this with my bourbon afficianado friends!

02-16-2009 23:24:00 | More by jstilwell
msolar

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

The concept of this beer is really intriguing - and the oak bourbon barrels really leave their mark. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much. The first 4 ounces were nice - the rest was slow. There's a really strong presence of oak and bourbon which, if you like bourbon, is a really nice change from most beers.

I wouldn't purchase this beer again but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try it. Founder's remains one of my favorite brewers and this is certainly a very well executed beer... just not the one for me. I'll stick to their porter, thank you.

04-06-2009 00:43:36 | More by msolar
baggio

Sweden

Bottle@home

A: Pitch black with a small beige head.

S: Roasted grain, Coffee, Bourbon, Vanilla.

T: Chocolate, Espresso, Bourbon, Grain, Dark caramel.

M: Very smooth with low carbonation. Body is a bit thin.

A great stout that lacks a bit in body and malt to be world class. Still very good and well worth a try!

07-30-2009 09:06:42 | More by baggio
beertunes

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to BigBlueBeerGuy and GoGriz for sending me KBS in recent trades. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured pure black with just a very thin cap of deep tan head that no retention or lacing.

The first aromas were coffee and maple syrup. On second approach a bit of the roasted malt was present. On the tongue, the coffee dominated, with some bourbon showing up behind the maple notes.

The body was solid, as expected, but a bit too thin for this style. As I am not a coffee drinker, I found the coffee to be a bit more noticeable than I like, but not as strong as some other brews I've had.

Overall, a very good and solid brew that I enjoyed a lot. Did I enjoy it $6 a bottles worth? I'm not sure. With Old Rasputin and Old Stock Ale, both from North Coast, available for $9 a 4-pack, KBS wouldn't be a regular purchase for me, but I'd have a couple a year. Certainly a worthy beer.

05-28-2010 21:26:25 | More by beertunes
coryking

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had several different vintages of this beer with several different cellaring ages on it. From an 09 vintage tasting with no cellaring on it...

A: Nothing to special. Pitch black, no carb, I like, but not good for judging.

S: Now we are talking! Bourbon, vanilla, molasses, some dark fruit, obviously coffee, toffee, and chocolates. Whoa, more bourbon now. This is going to be hot.

T: I love it! The love isnt shared amongst everyone doing the tasting. Hot bourbon. This beer needs aging. Im a bourbon fanatic, but this is too hot for a beer. I will say that this thing is super complex and fun to sip, savor, and discuss!

M: Viscosity is a little lower than I was wanting and expecting.

D: Not really drinkable for most. The 12oz bottle was shared with a friend. More than enough. This beer truly drinks like bourbon. Warm it up, give me a 2oz pour in a snifter and call it a night.

Amazing, complex beer nonetheless. Epic, yes. But there are so many better ones out there.

08-11-2010 12:22:47 | More by coryking
BMan1113VR

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours like ink. Black body with a small and quickly leaving brown head. Alcohol legs and good lacing. Aroma of black coffee, chocolate, dirt, minerally, and light bourbon. Taste is bourbon, chocolate, and dark coffee. Syrupy mouthfeel, little lively bubbles and a long finish. Good beer, but does not live up to the hype for me.

09-09-2010 21:49:44 | More by BMan1113VR
Bonis

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Pours pitch black with a half finger of tan head. Decent retention and lacing.

S - Sweet, sweet bourbon. I get mostly bourbon, maybe a little bit of coffee, but the bourbon overpowers the nose, which isn't entirely bad.

T - A smack in the face with bourbon, followed by a smooth and creamy dark chocolate espresso that lingers until the next drink. The aftertaste is amazing, but the bourbon is just a little too much for me. This one is very warming after just a few sips.

M - Thick and creamy. Bourbon coats the mouth.

D - Only good to have one in a night. I guess if it were readily available, I might drink more. I like some barrel aged beers, but this one wasn't quite my thing. I've had CBS before and it was much better. I think this one is a little hyped for me.

09-09-2010 23:41:33 | More by Bonis
popery

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

Perhaps, my hopes were a bit high for this one. KBS is certainly a very good beer. On the other hand, I wouldn't quite call it a top tier stout, much less than a top five beer (it's currently at 5 on BA's list).

A: Pretty much perfect for an impy stout. This beer is solid black until you thin the liquid to less than ~1/2 inch. A full glass looks like espresso. The head is tan, about a shade lighter than expected, and very creamy, sticking to the sides with ease.

S: Lots of bourbon, chocolate and coffee. Not much roast, which surprised me. Little to no oak. However, the flavors present are excellent. They mesh well and are wonderfully assertive. Lots of vanilla and some caramel, as well. Actually, this is one of the most vanilla-forward beers I've had in awhile. Alcohol is present but stays inside the bourbon aroma.

T: The taste is simpler than the aroma and a lot more booze comes through, particularly in the finish. I can feel some fusel notes creep up right as I swallow. The barrel notes seem to push the booze from warming goodness toward rubbing alcohol. It's not bad, but it just doesn't quite live up to the promise of the aroma. Fairly sweet with some pleasantly bitter coffee notes.

M: Smooth and fairly thick. I tried their Breakfast Stout recently, and it had a significantly better feel. So, I'm probably being a bit harsh here due to the comparison.

D: The booziness is wearing down my palate. It's a good, interesting beer, but the hotter bourbon notes are tiresome. Maybe, if I had more appreciation for bourbon, I'd feel differently.

09-22-2010 05:58:03 | More by popery
tsatem

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz. bottle (2/25/11 at 8:45) into a snifter, thanks to ColdPoncho.

A: Barely any head, but a small group of large bubbles forms on the top of the beer. Pours pitch black, with the very small head that does exist being a light tan. There's a surprising amount of lacing.

S: Coffee, predominantly - espresso and mocha. Lots of roasted malts. Vanilla balances these with some sweetness. Slight bourbon notes, but less than I was expecting. The bourbon mixes with wood and a good amount of earthy notes. There's some smoke, but this is pretty subtle overall.

T: I would believe this was a barrel aged breakfast stout if Founder's didn't tell me otherwise. Lots of coffee. Surprisingly bitter, lots of hops at the front which mix nicely with the mocha and balance the bourbony sweetness nicely. Bourbon flavor overall is rather subtle. Tobacco leaves dominate the finish, mixed with some oat-like notes. More wood than bourbon from the barrels - these wood notes are extremely dry.

M: Pretty lively and rather smooth. Dry, woody finish. Sticky after that. Alcohol is hidden incredibly well.

O: This is absolutely a delicious beer. That being said, I was honestly hoping for the bourbon to dominate a little bit more, and I feel that this could have been a better beer had it taken on different characteristics from the barrels.

04-20-2011 03:58:45 | More by tsatem
DoubleSimcoe

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

KBS on tap at R'n'H in Manhattan, part of a Founders event there. Tasted side-by-side with CBS, which was dangerous because both beers have very similar looks. My second time trying KBS on tap, after I popped my Kentucky cherry at The Pony Bar in Hell's Kitchen.

Appearance: Served in an eight-ounce wine glass for $12 (fuck!), KBS pours just like CBS. They are twins, only head doesn't last on Kentucky. Lacing and retention here are less than spectacular here. Color is the darkest side of black this side of Africa.

Smell: Not as good as the looks. A little underwhelming, more so compared to CBS. Wood, some distant vanilla. Boozy (but not in a bad way) and then some as it warms up.

Taste: A tad of chocolate and that barrel feel. Sort of a spicy finish, and definitely woodsy and bourbon-y. Hot! Somewhat one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Fuller, rounder and more interesting than the bottled version, which I found a lil' thin and disappointing. Super creamy, smooth, chuggable. Prickly booze at the end, though. Very hot and barrel-y when warm. Fittingly low carbonation, full flavor.

Overall: I still think this beer is mighty hyped and overblown. Good? Sure enough. Very good? Yes. Exceptional? Don't think so. I've had better bourbon-aged stouts, and when tasted along with CBS, KBS just doesn't have it. Tap is a better option for it than a bottle, though. Always, very drinkable, smooth, enjoyable.
Overall:

05-30-2011 06:20:15 | More by DoubleSimcoe
NeutraAir

Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

This is a 2011 KBS I am drinking from an eight ounce snifter. No light shows through this dark abyss of flavor. A thin line head holding a dark caramel color; the foam dissipates into slim ring around the glass.  The smell is boozy with strong characters of dark chocolates and coffee. A very strong bodied stout. The coffee dominates the front into the middle but is overtaken by chocolate through the finish. All the while a very subtle bourbon underlying backing up both predominate flavors, but every drink surprises me with flavors I can't describe.

This is not something I would recommend to bourbon lovers, though it is still a very well rounded stout.   As always I am impressed with Founders' stouts and I can't wait to try this after it sits for a year.

06-29-2011 00:31:08 | More by NeutraAir
rlshep

2012 Release
Aroma: Big alcohol followed by lots of bourbon. A touch of chocolate with some bready malt. Low to no hop aroma.

Appearance: Less than a finger dark mocha head, dissipates quickly. Pitch black, no light coming through. Good alcohol legs.

Flavor: Good chocolate flavor, Lots of bourbon. Soft warm bread flavor. Plenty of roast but not getting a lot of coffee more chocolate and a bitter roast. Medium high bitterness. Low to no hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Starts off creamy then the alcohol and bourbon kick in with a bite. Lots of alcohol a touch hot. Finishes drier than I expected, still leaves a sticky sweetness on lips but not tongue.

Overall: A really nice beer, but honestly I’ve had better bourbon imperial stouts. I wish I had bought more so I could have aged this for another year, that could have mellowed out some of the harsh edges. Worth the hype? I had better have a few dozen more before I decide.

03-16-2012 01:51:32 | More by rlshep
davey101

Connecticut

2/17/2012 vintage into a brandy snifter. Reviewed on: 03-21-2012

A - Pitch black with some very light mocha edging which eventually disappears completely. A vigorous swirl simply produces more edging with tiny amounts of lacing. Has some sticky alcohol legs though. 3.5/5

S - Strong fresh coffee notes followed by some milk chocolate, oak, faint vanilla and a touch of alcohol. As it warms up the bourbon becomes more pronounced. The coffee is just so prominent and dominant here, and this is some damn good coffee beans were talking about here. 4.5/5

T - Bitter coffee followed by some bittersweet chocolate and bourbon notes. Oak, vanilla and butterscotch. This is a beer for bourbon lovers. Its amazing how it starts off with dominant coffee and leads right into a fine bourbon. The finish is boozy and bittersweet. 70 IBU's? Holy hell! 4.0/5

M - I don't know how I feel about the mouth feel. It's medium with an average level of carbonation. As a stout lover I feel like it could be thicker and chewier. As a bourbon lover I think it works really well. The finish is warm yet pleasant. 3.5/5

O - I adore BCBCS because its blends the fresh and intense notes of coffee, the roasty and sweet chocolatey notes of a stout, and the rich and buttery notes of a good bourbon to a near perfection. KBS doesn't blend all of these elements together very well. In the end its a bourbon strong coffee beer with a light body. Delicious in its own right, but I wasn't completely blown away by this beer. 4.0/5

02/25/2011 vintage into a brandy snifter. Reviewed on: 03-23-2012

A - Pitch black body with a one finger mocha head. 4.0/5
S - Fresh coffee is still present, but slightly muted over the '12. Leads into some bourbon and oak on the finish. 3.5/5
T - Bitter notes of the coffee minus a lot of the coffee flavor. Bittersweet chocolate, oak, and vanilla. 3.0/5
O - This is at an awkward phase right now. Majority of the coffee has faded but it hasn't yet melded into the sweet chocolate beer that the '10 is. 3.5/5

02/08/2010 vintage into a brandy snifter. Reviewed on: 03-23-2012

A - Pitch black body with a one finger mocha head. 4.0/5
S - Coffee is faded a bit more than the '10 but still pretty lively. Oak and bourbon finishes the aroma. 4.0/5
T - Milk chocolate is the dominant flavor here. A slight hint of coffee and vanilla, but this is all chocolate now. Very sweet and tasty. Oak on the finish with no alcohol present. Body seems a bit thicker here. 4.5/5
O - This is unbelievably delicious. Amazingly sweet chocolate flavor with a nice bourbon finish. However, the coffee flavor is all gone which makes this beer so unique. 4.0/5

In conclusion I found the beer to have an amazing aroma and a damn good taste when fresh. Great coffee and bourbon notes. The mouth feel was a bit too thin for me though. At a year old its lost most of the coffee flavor but has retained that coffee bean bitterness. Seems like its at an awkward phase in its life. At two years old all the coffee has left the building as well as that awkward bean bitterness. Its become a delicious sweet chocolate stout with bourbon notes. Similar to BCBS but with a lighter body. Two years seems to be the sweet spot for this beer aged. I don't think I would go through the trouble of aging it though as it seems to defeat the purpose of a Kentucky breakfast stout.

03-21-2012 03:59:49 | More by davey101
TheodorHerzl

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev -13%

The first thing that hit me was the color of this pouring into my glass. It poured liked used motor oil on an engine way past it's due for a change.

The first smell was of coffe and a bit of burnt wood. Smelling again I got a nice smell of the wood/whiskey combo.

T: My first taste of the '07 really hit me. This is much better than the '06 I think. First flavors of smokey charred wood/whiskey and a great finish of coffee/chocolate.

Mouthfeel: It coats your mouth really well. It's got a good "stick" to everything in your mouth leaving some flavor on your pallet.

Drinkability: Me personally the drinkability is awesome one at a time. I didn't want another one right after the first one, but now I could go for another one.

I didn't think the '06 lived up to the hype, but the '07 is very good.

05-01-2007 12:15:30 | More by TheodorHerzl
bainard

4.03/5  rDev -13%

Inky black-brown with a sepia meniscus. Sand-colored head.

Aromas abound of bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, wood. If I had synaesthesia, this would smell dark brown, all the aromas point to this color.

A much woodier-tasting beer than I remember in the past, the bourbon isn't quite is prevalent in this one as other bourbon-aged beers I've had (Bourbon County and Backwoods Bastard come to mind), but the coffee is extremely strong in this. A bit of bitter chocolate, lots of roastiness.

Definitely thick, with a bit of carbonation, but nothing that coats the mouth too much, nor dances over the tongue.

It's a 10% beer, and you certainly feel and taste that in the beer. But then again, it's friggin' Kentucky Breakfast, you're not looking for something that you're going to down a 6 of before hitting the sports bar.

Overall, this is a tremendously wonderful beer, but I wouldn't put it in my all-time favorites.

11-02-2008 02:57:55 | More by bainard
khiasmus

South Carolina

09.

An oily liquid is dripping down, one in which can be seen the reflection of the dreary day from the picture window. The love of my life lies lifeless in the next room, and the inky blackness reflecting the gloomy, Londonish outdoors seems but fitting. So young. Too young. A quick flash of brown atop the liquid, then nothing but the reflection.
I take a sniff and the memories come flooding back... her love for thick espresso, her black, wispy hair, her deep eyes, she looked through me. Every morning. Espresso and bourbon. The log cabin, the smell of the wood, last night's fire, the smell before the rain, almost metallic, tannins...
Black chocolate, as she loved it. Black chocolate covered espresso beans. Chase each with another shot of whiskey, it lingers in the throat. I can't bear the thought of the next years. A time machine, I need a time machine. Another shot of espresso, another shot of bourbon. Give me peace. The dying trees in the garden, the black earth below the drooping, lifeless branches. The grey drops plunging earthward, and then shattering.
Thick. Oily, viscous, but so warm in the finish, so oily a clean, warm, dry finish. Earthy. Like her, tomorrow. It always comes back. I can't ignore it. The bourbon lingers in my throat, I will see her again. I will see...
She knew Him. Now He's all I have. Put down the drink, I must go back to battle.

05-04-2009 23:43:16 | More by khiasmus
backfat

Indiana

hello,
my name is Dave and I am 24 years old. my beer drinking days began when i was in high school. my first beer was a warm Budweiser on a beach at the outer banks. i decided i hated beer. later that day we drank cold MGD's next to a fire and my opinion started to change. after choking down 4, i was lit.... and hooked i guess. i was a pretty typical drinker on a college budget so i drank my fair share of hamm's and PBR. i even got a keystone light tattoo when i turned 19 on a bet (no joke). i still think it's funny but probably won't a couple years down the road. about four years ago, i was at a local watering hole called chumley's. i was in an adventurous mood, so i decided to jump out of my safe beer bubble and try something called three Floyd's Robert the Bruce. it's a Scottish ale made right in the state i live in, Indiana. 'wow, this doesn't taste like beer' i thought, not realizing the numerous things wrong with that sentence. slowly i began to fall in love with the hop and everything that comes with it. Then it was ambers and browns. Then my obsession with IPA's and stouts and barley wines and then imperial stouts and IPA's. I've come a long way, and i'm sure my beer journey has just begun, but one thing is sure... i love beer, and THIS is the best one i have EVER had.

EDIT: I wrote this review over a year and 1/2 ago, and I would like to adjust it. The 2009-2010 KBS that I have tried were in all actuality, the best beers I have ever had. The way the vanilla and the oakiness of the bourbon barrel merged with the vanilla and almost malted milk ball like flavor was hard to top. Now that I have an opportunity to try the 2011, I must adjust my score. It seems to have a roasted coffee dominance that clashes with the high alcohol presence and over carbonation. Will adjust the score accordingly next year. Not horrible. Toffee just isn't my favorite flavor.

12-29-2009 20:04:39 | More by backfat
birchstick

Colorado

A - pours black with a camel-brown colored 1/2 finger head

S - charred, sweet oak, dark chocolates, hot bourbon, vanilla, and a lot of coffee - there is a ton going on here. I wish the nose was a tad bit stronger though.

T - the taste follows the nose perfectly. Starts of with some chocolatey coffee. Sandwiched in the middle is a bunch of bourbon, with some vanilla and molasses. KBS Finishes with a sweet milk chocolate. The bourbon is very hot when this is fresh - it reminds me of the time I dumped some makers mark in a stout...it is very stouty and bourbony. Lots of vanilla and spicy bourbon on the exhale. This is complex and well-crafted, but it falls short of what I like in my favorite barrel aged beers...too much bourbon and bot enough supporting malts.

M - medium bodied with some low carbonation - silky smooth as it goes down

D - Breakfast stout taken to a whole new level. The base is still there, however the oaky bourbon really lets this go to a new level. Awesome beer, however the 12% abv limits this one. I guess I was expecting something more here. This didn't wow me like I hoped it would.

I am glad I was able to get my hands on this. Between this and Nemesis coming out a couple of weeks ago, Founders is really rolling them out right now. I feel fortunate to have been able to pick up a couple of bottles of each. I must say that I thought this was a fantastic brew, however when it comes to bourbon barrel stouts BCS is still my favorite.
---

6 mo. update. There is a lot of molasses on the nose. The coffee has faded a little, as well as the bourbon. The vanilla really pops. All of the flavors have started to fade together to form a more unified beer.

03-16-2010 02:04:46 | More by birchstick
jdflyer06

4.03/5  rDev -13%

A big thanks to an unbelievably kind dude at DLD '09. It's been about a year so I thought I'd crack this bad boy open. Poured into a snifter.

A: Black, pitch black. The head is pretty thin but leaves some sticky lacing as it goes down.

S: Coffee notes dominate as well as dark chocolate notes. Hints of vanilla as I take it in as the bourbon has mellowed out a bit. Woody and oaky. Very sweet in the nose.

M: Rich and creamy with some soft carbonation. A little bit of heat in the throat. Just about perfect for the style and ABV. Finishes fairly clean with a bit of a dry afterbite. Awesome.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate up front, followed by vanilla and oaky notes. Just as I expected. The flavors are nicely balanced. Not the most complex tasting beer but extremely well done. Some alcohol comes through but is pretty well hidden given the ABV.

O: An excellent offering from Founders. It has some obvious differences over their standard breakfast stout. It's a nice change of pace but I'm glad to have the traditional breakfast stout around all year with this to bring a nice surprise once a year. I actually prefer the Canadian Breakfast Stout which I was lucky enough to try last year. The drinkability is low but honestly, who wants to drink this all night? It's decadent and a perfect one-off.

04-09-2010 01:35:03 | More by jdflyer06
JamisonM

Arizona

4.03/5  rDev -13%

A: black black black with a mocha color head

S: chocolate and coffee with some roasted notes along with some bourbon and vanilla

T: coffee chocolate bourbon roasted notes bitter on the back end almost too bitter

M: med mouth with low carbonation

D: not really that drinkable because the beer has that bitterness from the coffee or overused oak barrels? no idea....

Overall: a very good beer but I was sort of disappointed because of that bitter finish at least in the bottle I had.

12-17-2010 05:17:10 | More by JamisonM
zappuh

4.03/5  rDev -13%

A- Very dark with a quarter of an inch light brown head that dissipates quickly

S- Bourbon smell overtakes the other smells, you can barely smell the chocolate and coffee coming through the bourbon

T- Even though there is a strong bourbon smell there is no real bourbon flavor, it starts out tasting like baking cocoa and then ends with a sweeter chocolate flavor

M- A little effervescent with mouth drying effect

O- Heavy, not a session beer but a few glasses would be very enjoyable

03-31-2011 03:42:31 | More by zappuh
Mississipping

Mississippi

4.03/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle poured into snifter. Thanks StayWhatYouAre2 for sending a bottle of this out of the blue.

A: Pours a nicely viscous, black liquid that (of course) resembles motor oil. A fairly violent pour yields almost no head at all, but just a thin patch film and sticky ring. It settles very still; almost no evidence of any carbonation.

S: The smell is quite complex, with dark chocolate, bourbon, toffee, roasted barley, and alcohol being the most noticeable characteristics. The smell is really great, although it smells a bit hot.

T: Dark chocolate, again, is right up front, along with barrel characteristics, dark fruit, and subtle toffee. The roasted malt quality is much stronger than it is in the smell. It finishes just slightly bitter from the alcohol along with subtle hoppiness and coffee.

M: Pretty darn thick. It's viscosity is evident on the tongue and it coats the mouth well. Subdued carbonation adds to the thickness but creates a very nice creaminess. This is one of the best aspects of this beer, in my opinion

D: My opinion of drinkability seems to differ from most, due to some qualities that I wasn't expecting. It's not that well balanced to me. The bourbon seems to compete too much with other characteristics. In addition, the alcohol isn't hidden all that well. Quite hot, and burns a bit.

This is really pretty spectacular, but it's not something that I'd seek out. I randomly got a bottle of this from an extremely generous BA and am glad that I got a chance to try it, but there are plenty barrel-aged stouts that I'd prefer and will go out of my way to get in the future. Either way, it was mostly enjoyable.

04-14-2011 04:58:30 | More by Mississipping