Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,179
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,776 | Hads: 10,590

Enjoyed on tap from a snifter at Plan B in Simsbury, CT. I didn't want to go right out with all 5s for this review, but truthfully could find nothing to critique that wasn't on-par and expected in the style. It poured black as pitch with a cocoa-colored head. The nose is complex with coffee and vanilla notes right up front preparing my palate for deliciousness. And delicious it was, with all the roasted coffee at first, followed by the sweetness from the bourbon-barrel aging and malts. An outstanding stout, worthy of 100 rating. (539 characters)

Had this beer at the Extreme Beer Festival. SErved in a taster glass, cool. pours a black brown body and a nice hot chocolate like head. Smells like a pancake breakfast. tastes, smooth with wonderful notes of syrup, roasted malt, coffee with enough hop bitterness to balance. No strong alcohol flavor. Thick and wonderful without being cloying. What makes this work so well is that no flavor is overpowering yet easily layered and distinguishable. Just perfect. (461 characters)

Recieved in a DLD trade w/ Sman (insert #'s here).

Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

Jet black body. "How much more black can it get? Really, the answer is none. None more black". -Spinal Tap
Like I said, very dark body. Dark tannish/brown head. 1finger. Decent retention. Heavy whisps of lace left in the glass once the head subsided.
Huge malty coffee and bittersweet chocolate nose. Semi smokey bourbon with whisps of marinated figs and peat. More alcohol comes through as the beer progresses.
Sooo smooth on the tongue. Oh my god. This is one smooth beer. I'm gonna be all over the place with this one between mouthfeel, taste and drinkability, because I think all 3 play into each other.
Chocolate and coffee instantly assault my palate. But it's a good assault. Bourbon and vanilla oakiness come through almost as fast. This is gorgeous. I find myself wanting drink this beer faster than almost any beer I've ever had. I have to force myself to slow down at every sip. Sips turn into swigs which turn into gulps. And this is definitely not a gulping beer. Although it goes down like one. This is too drinkable for a 10% beer. The bourbon is well present, but so well balance that you don't recognize an alcoholic "burn". It's just not there. I almost want to chew this beer there's so much flavor. I feel like I'm rambling, but it's hard to put into words everything I'm tasting.
This is one hell of a beer. I'm gonna leave it at that. Thanks to Founders for this offering. My first perfect 5 beer. (1,524 characters)

I will start by acknowledging that I might be a touch biased with this review. After buying one of these and hiding it away for a couple months before my big going away party (joining a beerless nation for the Peace Corps), my dad threw it down, not even thinking. After racing all over the state to find another one, I finally had it, with a couple hours to spare. So basically, there was no way I was going to dislike this one. And I didn't. Pours a perfect pitch black color, with two fingers of tan head on top that slowly dissolves down to a delicious looking film. Aroma is crazy strong coffee, alcohol, spiciness, and some breadiness. Tons of roasted malt. Excellent aromas. Flavor is fantastic. Alcohol spice works in perfectly with the roasted malt on the back of the tongue. Definite but subtle bourbon flavors. Nice sweet dried fruit and brown sugar on the tip of the tongue. A nice hint of chocolate as well. As it warms, a nice zap of winey liquor at the end. Truly an incredible flavor. Body is creamy and full, with perfect carbonation. Can't say enough about this one. The best beer I've ever tasted, bar-none, and a great farewell to beer drinking, at least for a little while. (1,194 characters)

Fack it. Best beer to share. So good. Coffee-y bourbony. Damn. Lacing slowly falls from the top to the 7/8 area of the glass. So goddamned good. A+s throughougt.
Sooo good. To the no I won't do it. Too damn good. Luckily I have a lot left. My favorite I've tasted but i know I'm gonna love CBS since I looove maple syrup. (322 characters)

What can I say this is the best stout ever. Thick, heavy, delicious, complex, may cure brain damage, water on the knee, and if made in large enough quantity, may be the conduit for world peace. Praise the lord and pass the KBS. More words needed, but words will only keep me from waiting for the first week in April when KBS is sold for all of 5 or 6 days. (356 characters)

Pours the color of cold brew coffee - mostly black with brown around the edges, and a nice small brown head that sticks around and leaves some lacing.
Smell and taste are both dominated by a ton of chocolate, smooth cold brew coffee notes (no bitterness), and flavors of chocolate covered dark cherries, vanilla cream, caramel, and a smoothness from the bourbon and oak. Overall, it deserves the hype, a great beer. (416 characters)

Every possible thing I want out of a beer is in this one. Every part of this was good even right down to the package. Its also just getting better with age. The pour looks great. Very dark black with that dark tan coffee head. The smell has breakfast all over it. Coffee and chocolate and sweet vanilla jump out. A lot of sweet bourbon notes up front and then finishes with a dry coffee taste that it leaves in your mouth. Alcohol was not very notable to me. This was my first 5 of 5 after 60 beers reviewed. A kick ass beer. (525 characters)

I hate to give a beer a perfect score especially after it being the 2nd beer I am reviewing on BA but I have had my fair share and I know a good, perfectly amazing beer when I try one. And this is it.

A: Pours still with lacy dark chocolate pecan colors and thin head that edges to the side of the glass.

S: Smokes the nose with intake of tobacco, smokiness, chocolate and staled bourbon essence.

T: Light and silky while cold with burnt coco flavors, maybe some toasty marsh mellows, finishes on the taste buds with a smooth flavor of bourbon as it warms up, hints of pecans and even darker chocolate.

M: Still as the black night, steady, thick but ready to go down perfectly from start to finish.

O: This beer changed my way of thinking, experiencing and most likely brewing beers. A style unique but does not shun anyone from enjoying and experiencing a very delicious stout.

Thank you, thank you.... (909 characters)

I'm not typically a fan of a warmer beer, but this one gets significantly better as it gets warmer. Patience is almost impossible with this beer, but resisting for 10 minutes at room temperature is worth it. (208 characters)

Like vanilla bourbon. Holy shit that's amazing. Mouthfeel not as full as if expect but seems just right. I don't even get the coffee and chocolate notes. Which is a good thing because as I've said before: coffee- and/or chocolate-forward stouts are cliché.

#MensJournal100Best2014 (282 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz. stubby brown bottle to an Oversized Wine glass. 2011 vintage. $16.99 for a 4-pack.

Appearance: Black as night with a dark and I mean dark brown 1-finger creamy head. No transparency in the liquid whatsoever. Head retention is moderate. Great lacing, thick rings.

Smell: Bourbon barrels for sure. It's very very woody with sweet brown sugar undertones. Roasted freshly ground coffee. Dark and milk chocolate really start to come out as it warms, like a fine bourbon chocolate Belgian truffle. Very little alcohol is detectable, if any. Some earthy tones, like fresh cut grass. I could go on. It's phenomenal.

Taste: Sweet up front, mild bitterness in the middle. No sign of the booze until the end leaving a pleasant warming sensation in the back of the throat and in the chest. Citrus comes through towards the end and plays around for a little while leaving your mouth juicy and wanting more. Chocolate and roasted coffee flavors are present. Vanilla bean. Earthy hops come through at the end. Fine bourbon and smoked wood dance on your palate till the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is full and extremely creamy due to a low carbonation level. This really is a perfect mouthfeel. Absolutely zero harshness for such a big beer must not be easy to pull off. The flavor and nose express themselves even more as the beer warms without adding any of harshness attributed to some other IS's when consumed at higher temperatures.

Drinkability: Very High

This should be more of a sipper than it is. The smoothest and most disguised AD/IS I ever recall drinking, with an amazingly complex nose and flavor up the wazoo. Well worth the wait and the money. I feel like I am ripping THEM off. (1,708 characters)

Simply the best stout I have ever had. Amazing complexity with something new in every sip. The chocolate, coffee, vanilla and bourbon flavors meld in a way I have not encountered in any other barrel aged stout. Thanks to asams10 for providing me with a beer I've wanted to try for years. (288 characters)

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter. Pours black like oil with a thin brown head. It smells of coffee, chocolate, slight toasted malt slight booze. The taste follows with vanilla and bourbon. So delish! Let this warm a bit. This ale is full bodied- almost syrupy but in a fantastic way. I would love to drink 4 of these but the ABVs remind me to consume slow. This will only get better with age. My second favorite beer of all time. (433 characters)

This was a beer that I was very excited to finally get to enjoy! It was dark and full of complexion. But not overly powerful as some stouts can become if not aged appropriately. This was a wonderful beer. Great Aroma. Nice smooth mouth feel, creamy almost. Just a delight! (272 characters)

Draft at World of Beer Easton, poured into a 5 oz. tasting glass.

With over 10k ratings, there really isn't anything new or novel I can say about this beer. A fantastic stout with prominent flavors of coffee and bourbon. If you haven't had it, give it a try. It's one worth crossing off your list. (301 characters)

09 vintage from a bottle.

Pour is viscous, black, motor oil. Just a slight hint of mocha head. disapaits quickly.

Aroma is all chocolate upfront. Followed by toasty coffee. Burbon hints around the edges.

Taste is amazing. Bitter chocolate and coffee. Sweet bourbon on palate. Amazing smooth throughout.

Simply the best beer I have ever had. (345 characters)

Well, we'll, well. KBS...must be.... Unicorn blood. Elixir of Life! Holy water. Water from the fountain of youth. Perfection. All I can say is, you have to try it for your self. Perfectly balanced stout. When you drink it the heavens of your senses open up. No too much or too little of anything. Coffee.... Vanilla.... CHOCOLATE.... Simultaneously (348 characters)

Oh My!!!

I have enjoyed KBS from bottles but today I had the extreme pleasure of having KBS on tap at UBH!,, Tommy! thank you!,

I am not getting into it (a full formal review) except to say this was the most incredible, dare I say orgasmic, tasting that I have ever had?!?

Chocolate, vanilla, coffee..everything is there. A beauty that needs no further description. (368 characters)

Oh the infamous KBS, what a treat. Too bad I practically had to give a testicle to get some! Well, it was worth it...
Pours a deep deep black with a dark mocha head.This is a great start...
Smell - Vanilla, bourbon, coffee grounds, sweet chocolate, roasted malt...in that order for the most part. Just outstanding.
Taste - Very similar to the nose, but wow so integrated. I mean, its so balanced. Def the most balanced stout I've ever had. So good. It would be hard to top this in any genre or beer. Holy shit, no wonder why assholes chase the truck for this...screw it I'm gonna rob the truck driver!
Mouthful - So smooth, so complex, so inviting you for another sip. Medium to heavy. Fantastic

Overall - don't read this, get this is you can. Founders did it again...between GI and Founder's barrel work, theres no need to move from the midwest! Stunning world class beer (873 characters)

I had the distinct pleasure of sampling this once again relatively recently at a Founders promo at The Blind Tiger in NYC, but since I first sampled it on draft at The Tap Room in Warren, NJ, I got to show some love in this review to Kevin Torpey, who does a great job getting great beers like this on tap at a bar inside a hotel (Somerset Hills Hotel).

Into a tulip glass, it poured black with one finger of brown head that retained and laced extremely well. Smelled of oak, chocolate, chocolate milk, hazelnut liqueur, modest licorice, and cherry-vanilla. The taste was a fantastically balanced mixed of the aforementioned flavors, with a cherry-vanilla/modest alcohol-presence finish, and leaving a spiked chocolate milk aftertaste. No carbonation, and medium to full thickness...like liquid silk on the palate. This is another one of those beers that you would think could not be sessioned, yet it goes down extremely easily. Absolutely outstanding beer. (960 characters)

i've had KBS '10 and '11 on tap, and '11 in bottles. overall, they're similar - a perfect breakfast stout with delicious bourbon. '11 is much hotter than '10, but not in a bad way. it's hot in the same way Rare BCBS is - in a delicious enjoyable way that lends the beer to sipping. this remains one of my stalwart favorite beers, and something i will look forward to yearly. the oatmeal/coffee/chocolate work so perfectly with the bourbon. (439 characters)

2010 Vintage

I have had this beer on many occasions at this point, and everytime I have it I always say to myself: This is the beer I could drink for the rest of my life. The smell is really what makes this beer stand apart from many others. It is of rich coffee, chocolate and bourbon. I wish they made scented candles that smell like this beer. Also for something that is over 11% ABV I could drink it as fast as I want. Truly deserves the recognition that it gets. (468 characters)

2011, 12oz.

If there is a heaven, i hope in each pillowy crevice of the cloud i find a bottle of this.
i hope there is no mad rush for these bottles scattered about, so please make them limitless. i hope i see a cartoon smell in the air of the nose of each beer lifting me up and carrying me to each 5.5.5.5.5. bottle. (321 characters)

A-Dark as night. A hard pour produces a little film of very fine dark tan head. A little swirling and the glass gets coated with bubbles on the inside.

S-Mostly vanilla, chocolately, oaky and bourbony. But all the smells seem to compliment each other instead of overpower each other.

T-Vanilla and chocolate then the oak and bourbon barrel come through. The alcohol comes out a little in the end but nowhere near the 11%. Very oaky aftertaste. The wood stays in your mouth after the beer is gone.

M-Surprisingly light for such an amazing beer. I'd say medium body and very lightly carbonated.

D-The aroma draws you in, the taste makes you stay.

I was honestly surprised at how light the mouthfeel was for such a big beer. Very easy drinking for a bourbon barrel ages 11% stout. I'm gonna keep this on my want list. (821 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company