Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,236
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,791 | Hads: 10,704
2.82/5  rDev -38.2%

Founders KBS is a specialty stout, not an american double / imperial, IMO. I love the normal Breakfast Stout which is in the same class as this, but this one is just ok, and really does not taste much like a beer.

Appearance - Outstanding appearance. Jet black with a amber head (very small one with a quick pour) Sticky looking lacing left behind. Think, Breakfast stout without the head.

Smell - Bourbon? Ok, I know that is the type of barrel it was aged in but wow this first bottle is overpowering me. I am sensitive to liquor smells so that is all I am getting out of this one other than maybe a slight woodsy smell some coffee in the back.

Taste - Bourbon, and damned if it is not strong on the bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle? I mean it has a hint of the Breakfast stout behind it, but it pales in comparison to the taste of the liquor. I am going to have a second one on another day before I make this my final verdict*, but I am not fond of the taste in the least. It almost tastes like they added bourbon instead of just letting it soak up the flavors naturally from the wood. *Second bottle as strong as the first. They definitely added bourbon here. I think this would be much better if they had not added and just let it natural soak it from the wood.

Mouthfeel - Makes up some ground here! The mouthfeel is good. Slight bite, but it coats well. Smooth going down, and the alcohol kicks in giving it a nice warming feeling from the gut all the way up.

Drinkability - I am not sure you would drink more than one of these in a session unless you just really like the taste of bourbon, or just wanted to get drunk quick. But really if your looking to just get drunk there are a lot of other cheaper beers that will do it for you. I would not go out of my way to get this one again, but it is good for what it is I guess.

In conclusion, it looks nice, but smells like liquor and tastes like liquor.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

I bought a four pack of this beer several months ago, out of the one case that was shipped to my entire area in SC, they have been sitting in my closet for three months, and today, what the hell? Sharing this one actually with my mom, who is a big fan of burbon-infused brews.
On the pour, there now is a snifter of 20-50 motor oil in front of me. The beer has a perfect amount of light lacing that adds to the beauty of this monster. I couldn't see through this with a spotlight if I had one.I wish every cup of espresso looked this delicious.
Smells like burnt burbony oakiness, vanilla, coffee,bitter cocoa, massive malty goodness, iced coffee, a perfect touch of sweetness keeps the alcohol and burbon in a perfect check. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Hops are buried in the malty sweet goodness. It smells so good its almost hard to drink because then it will be gone. To quote Beerfest " I want to stick my dick in it"
O..my..god This is fantastic as anticipated. Kahlua like sweetness, followed by a wave of burbony infused chocolate coffee thick goodness. Vanilla, smoky malts, caramelized brown sugar.I get burbon at the start and finish of each sip in differing levels of spiciness and intensity. The sip is perfect, not spicy and burbony overtones, rather restrained and utilized.
The finish is thick and spicy, like a well aged burbon. The best burbon-infused brew to have ever passed my lips thusfar is being consumed at an alarmingly fast rate, that is the only sad thing about this great experience. A smoked gouda cheese would work beautifully with this. A madagascar vanilla infused dessert, a burbon sauced venison served rare would marry great into the spicy character of this brew...or a great brunch brew with smoked cheese omelets..or as it serves now A Kentucky Breakfast indeed alone in all its delcious goodness.
Founders Breakfast stout is one of my favorites to date, and it's big brother KBS has just completed a meteoric rise to #1.
I am going to hide the bottles I am aging, or they won't last very long!

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

Big big thanks to zminor for this one.

Pours a deep brown, motor oil color with almost non-existent light brown head forming a ring around the glass. Spotty wet lace and a milky way of bubbles on the surface of the beer. Massive and delicious looking.

Smell is delightfully complex; vanilla and chocolate syrup go well with black coffee and a hint of bourbon booziness. This smells a bit like an FBS with milk and sugar. A nice loose-dirt earthiness is present as well.

Taste is vanilla and dark chocolate with black coffee or acidic espresso and a hot finish.

This is creamy and full bodied with a hot and surprisingly clean finish. Fantastic.

D: I cannot believe this is 11%. The alcohol is well hidden and the beer isn't overly sweet. A nice dry finish makes this thing dangerously drinkable.

I loved this beer far more than I expected to, and disagree with the sentiments that this is overly bourbony. As zminor said: "This is the beer Bourbon County Stout WANTS to be"

3.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Split with kchophead, poured from a 12 oz bottle into two pint glasses in equal portions.

Appearance: Pitch Black with a thin brown head. It left a nice lacing. Very nice looking beer.

The smell was bourbon, and more bourbon followed by some vanilla and roasted notes.

Taste followed nose closely. I know this is supposed to have coffee and chocolate but I just didn't get a lot of it. I'm sure it was there, but they were faint whispers compared to the bourbon's shouting. Vanilla was also prominent.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Light carbonation, but just right for a stout. The alchohol burns going down, but in a good way.

Drinkability certainly takes a hit due to the alchohol. I'll agree with the comments here that say this was like drinking liquor as much as beer in some ways due to the heavy bourbon flavors and the strong alchohol presence.

This was my first BA top 10 beer and I figured it was as good a beer as any to do my first BA review. It was really good, and very unique, but it made me really want to try the regular breakfast stout as the bourbon presence in this beer was so strong that I can barely fathom what it would be like if it were missing.

2.19/5  rDev -52%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I had really high hopes for this beer. I love the Founders Imperial Stout and the Breakfast Stout, so I was really excited to try the KBS. The KBS poured a rich black color. To me the smell was a little overpowering. This seemed more of a sipping beer and not a gulper. The alcohol taste was too overpowering to enjoy and it nearly masked the hints of coffee and chocolate.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on tap at the brewpub a few weeks ago for the first time. Then was very surprised to find a single at my local store... had to pick it up in spite of the high price tag. At the brewpub it made a HUGE impression on me, and I thought might be my favorite beer of all time, so I had to make sure it was legit.

A - pours heavy black (into Duvel tulip) with very little to no head. Small carbonation ring around the outside which leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

S - This smells like heaven. Chocolate, bourbon, coffee, roasty malts, deliciousness, vanilla, and did I mention bourbon?

T - The taste is just as good as the smell. Coffee and chocolate up front, bourbon vanilla, then a touch of bitterness on the finish. This is a very high quality beverage. Some slight booziness as it goes down. Definitely warming my insides, but nothing too crazy. Very well hidden 11.2%.

M - Founders has their stuff together when making stouts, similar mouthfeel to their regular BS, and imperial. Maybe a little silkier, but very similar. Super smooth.

D - Definitely one of the more drinkable big stouts around. I could easily put away 2 or 3 of these if they weren't so rare and expensive. I'm going to be sad when I reach the bottom of the glass...

Overall this is an awesome beer, and if you find it somewhere, DO NOT pass it up. Pay the high price tag, it is worth it.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

Had this at the Founder's brewery about two weeks ago. Poured into a snifter. Pours blacker than a cow's inside. A light head just sat on the top. Wonderful aroma of chocolate and coffee combined with bourbon - wow what a combo. The taste starts with chocolate and coffe and then the bourbon kicks in with awesome caramel and vanilla flavors. Very smooth, thick and syrupy, the way it should be with a nice throat warming finish. A great sipper and cigar beer. I had the nitro version which I liked way better than the normal version because it tasted a lot smoother. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Review #300! A HUGE thanks goes out to Scoobydank for giving this bottle to me as a birthday present! Bill, you are the man!

Poured into New Beglium Globe Glass.

Pours a 1/4 finger cocoa brown head. The little head doesn't last long, but the etching brings up some carbonation bubbles. Leaves some lace rings for the little bit of head. Color is a dark dark chocolate brown. The tone of brown is like no other beer I have had.

Aroma: Just amazing. Chocolate. Cocoa. Quality coffee. Hardly, any of the 11.2% abv shows here. A little vanilla. A very robust and complex beer. The blend of chocolate and coffee is just perfect. A nice layer of bourbon and oak go with the other flavors so well. If I could only smell one beer in the world, this would be it (to date that is).

Taste: A little alcohol with the bourbon up front. Strong coffee. Chocolate. (As I am reviewing this, I look at the bottle and realize the side says Malt Beverage brewed with chocolate and coffee. Well at least Founders doesn't lie). Vanilla is definitely doesn't hide here. After I sip on this a bit more, I realize that the alcohol I am tasting is the bourbon. As the beer warms up a bit, the bourbon begins to taste better and better. Very amazing tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, rich, and creamy (just like CBS). The bourbon loves to shine through the longer it stays in my mouth. Leaves a very chocolate malty aftertaste. Full bodied. The carbonation level is right on the money for a beer like this (a medium level). Ends a little dry and hot.

Honestly, I don't really know if there is anything wrong with this beer. This big stout is drinking better than a lot of other beers I have had and it is so much darker (not implying that darker means anything). My beer is almost gone already and I want more of it. I am so impressed with Founders for this beer. They managed to make an 11.2% abv beer be so damn drinkable. If I had more I would easily want to crack open another. I will be buying as much of this as I can next year if it makes it to MN. A must try!

Edit: As I just took the last sip, I was so sad that I realized I had no more of this amazing liquid. If you can get any of this, don't pass it up... ever!

Edit2: Changed a few things for the fresh 2010 batch. Nothing too major.

3.95/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to GREGER for hooking me up with this

A- Dark black with very little head, carbonation, or lacing to speak of.

S- Smells kind of like someone took a shot of bourbon and poured it into a beer. Slight coffee and smokey scents, but everything is shot down by the alcoholic smell

T- Starts off like a regular coffee stout then BANG, the alcohol kicks. The alcohol burn is quite strong and masks a lot of the flavors. At the same time the bourbon barrel aging definitely imparts its flavor. This, to me , tastes more like liquor than beer, which is weird because the ABV is by no means ridiculously high.

M- mouthfeel is good as it firsts hits the palate then goes somewhat downhill due to the alcohol bite.

D- drinkability on this one could not be higher than a 3. I could not possibly drink two or three of these in one sitting. This is not just due to the ABV, but also how much the alcohol comes through and is not masked superbly.

Overall, a good beer, but the dominating alcohol taste really prevented me from truly appreciating this beer as the alcohol masked a lot of the other flavors associated with this beer.

3.93/5  rDev -13.8%

A beautiful beer. Coal black with a thin brown head.

Hints of chocolate, coffee, whiskey and hops in the nose. The malt is overwhelming and not in a bad way. On top of everything already mentioned, there's a splash of caramel.

Lots of roasted things going on. Extremely powerful flavors, but everything is muted by the intense alcohol.

The alcohol is extreme in this beast. It's the dominant flavor and completely overpowers everything else. Still, you pick up the oak, chocolate and coffee. Despite 70 IBUs, there's little acknowledgement from the hops.

It's thick. It's almost chewy thick. Sweetness early on. Chocolate, coffee and bourbon start to take over. Normally where the hops would say hello is an onslaught of alcohol heat. Chocolate and coffee bitterness in the swallow, followed by a lingering bourbony heat. Um, yeah, full bodied if ever there was a full bodied beer. The alcohol isn't hidden at all. It's front and center. With all that, you can expect a dry finish.

If manly beers are your thing, this is the one for you. As soon as you think you like aggressive beers, try this. I hated it four years ago when I first had it. It was just too much. Now, my palate has matured. Yes, it's still a bit much, but I appreciate what Founders has done. This beer doesn't apologize for what it is. If you're lucky enough to find this beer, I suggest letting it sit for a while until you graduate from other imperial stouts.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours pure black like motor oil with a sampling of dark brown/cocoa colored head.
Smell is strong of roasted malt coffee, cocoa, like fresh brewing coffee.
Taste is like drinking fresh brewed mocachino that's cold with a lot of roasted taste.
Finish is crisp with a chocolaty ground coffee bean after-taste which lasts with me several minutes after the last drink.
Drinks incredibly well, zero alcohol bite, the smoothed roasted character.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into two snifters at Sierra Grille in Northampton, MA. Bottle was $9.

Pours a inky jet black color that is very viscous, yes like motor oil. The head is laughable.

Smell is a wave of warm alcohol, vanilla, dark chocoloate and bitter roasted coffee. Very complex and aromatic.

Taste initially is bitter chocolate and vanilla combined. The flavors enhance from there, coffee, toffee, bitter black coffee and chocolate liquer or Kahlua. As it continues to warm a lot of the Bourbon barrel flavors come out. This is a great sipping beer...

Very smooth drinking beer that half a bottle of was definitely plenty to enjoy.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Sickpuppy at "Should I Drink That?"!

I'd be dying to try this beer for years and upon finally scoring some expected an orgasmic experience, and, as usual, my personal over-hype marred my experience somewhat. Guess that's my fault.

This was a great beer, no question, but it simply did not floor me as I had hoped. A kinda thin mouthfeel and not as bourbony as expected, or hoped.

Tastes of roasted coffee, vanilla, and chocolate malt. Silky smooth with not even a tad of boozy bite. Impressive! And thus incredibly drinkable for the hefty ABV.

I liked it the more I had it, but I still would have to put Bourbon County Stout and Black Ops ahead of it in the bourbon-barreled beer game.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a three finger dark brown head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights. Light carbonation and heavy bodied. Sweet roasted coffee nose. Flavor is sweet roasted coffee, don't detect the bourbon barrel, high ABV is hidden, almost burnt coffee finish. Nice stout. Pricey at $6.95 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

2009 edition

pours black as midnight with a 1/4 finger tan head that leaves some spotted lacing

smells of big coffee and smokey bourbon little vanila and chocolate

taste is also big coffee bourbon woody vanilla and bitter chocolate - this beer is so much better with a few months on it - fresh the booze takes over and thats about it - i bet it will get even better by next year

mouthfeel is thick low carbonation - this beer is a sipper (one that could last all all night)

drinkability is great - sure one bottle is all i would want as complex as one bottle is - its a great way to finsish the night

also poured about 1/6 of the bottle into a glass with some ice cream and oh boy this beer works so well

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours dark black with no light penetrating the glass. A half inch head appeared after a hard pour. The head was a dark mocha color that did not stick around.

S - Roasted coffee beans up front. After that there is a sweet smell of bourbon mixed with vanilla.

T - The taste is where this beer really shines. There is a nice balance between the flavors. First is coffee. After the beer starts to warm up a bit the chocolate really becomes present. At the end you can taste the bourbon, but it is not really strong. I really enjoyed that the bourbon was not overwhelming. Alcohol is present, but hidden well.

M - Smooth and creamy as a milkshake.

D - Would love to drink more than one, but probably should not.

One of my favorite beers since getting into craft.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

8oz pour at the brewpub, in a snifter. Arrives a placid jet black, pretty much no bubbles. Little lacing.

Nose is earthy, strong bourbon, roasty goodness, light sweetness.

This is the ultimate sipping beer. The flavors are complex and demanding. Peat, bourbon, vanilla, roasty malts, a dry hop finish. Warming alcohol in the back. Much more demanding than CBS which I had before and more rewarding. The dry finish helps it pair well with more options and it doesn't have that overwhelming sweetness. Smooth carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Wow - got this in a trade, fantastic beer.

A - Dark no light will show threw this.

S - Wonderful burnt coffee, dark chocolate, booze.

T - Unbelievable chocolate, hides the 11.2 abv very well

M - Smooth, frothy but at the same time chocolately, numbs the taste buds in a good way.

D - Better than good less than exceptional as if you drank this one it might be very hard to drink another.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

A: The color of ebony, only a hint of light passes through at the edge of the glass, lots of sticky foam on the glass, noticeable body - 4.75, S: One whiff and I'm in sensory overload, whiskey in upfront but not overpowering, loads of vanilla and chocolate, coffee is also present, some minor signs of charring - 5.00, T: A massive palate, lots of chocolates malts and even more espresso, some pureed burnt raisins, though there are hops they are overpowered by the huge malt base, like the nose there is a solid presence of vanilla, one tasty beer - 4.50, M: Thick and silky, lingers on the tongue - 5.00, D: One of the most impressive beers I've had to date, a true gem, but as I say that I will concede that I still think Goose Island's Bourbon Brand County Stout edges it out, as a side not the beer is now labeled 'KBS' instead of Kentucky Bourbon Stout - 4.50

4.15/5  rDev -9%

This beer has been all the rage lately. The hype with this beer is reaching Dark Lord status (which I will also be reviewing soon!). Lets see what I think:

A: Pours pitch black. No light will penetrate this beer even when held directly up to the Sun. Head is very small but is a dark brown color. No lacing is left with each sip.

S: Big coffee smell. Some oak. There is an alcohol presence as well.

T: Massive complexity. The first thing you will taste is the big roasted coffee flavors. You can taste the Bourbon as well. Lots of oak. The finish is a mix of vanilla and chocolate. That is the best part of the beer in my opinion. Alcohol is also pretty prominent.

M: Very thick and creamy. Coats the mouth with each sip. Silky smooth. Very nice.

D: This is a big beer. 11.2%ABV is nothing to underestimate. This is a sipper. I doubt anybody could chug this. This is a beer to savor. Very rich and flavorful.

This beer is very very good. Is it worthy of all the hype? Personally, I don't think so. Founders Imperial Stout is superior to this, In my opinion. But you do get a massive complexity, even for an Imperial Stout. If you can find it, pick it up. But, I think there are better Imperial Stouts out there that are much cheaper and more widely available.

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%

I've had this a few times now, thanks to recent distribution in NJ and a great trader named GbVDave- trade with him!

This review is the 2009, released under the name KBS- and it pours black as all hell into a DFH snifter, but with no visible head aside from a late forming film of mocha, leaving oodles of spotty lacing.

Really a beautiful aroma. Just boozy enough, the coffee and chocolate from the regular BS are there backed by roasted malts with tones of bourbon coming through. The slightly sweet vanilla, caramel, toffee, oak are wonderful.

A lot of the same flavors come through in the taste. Alcohol just slightly present- enough to let you know its there. But not intrusive. Such a full, coating mouthfeel of chocolate and roasted coffee beans. As drinkable as could be for a monster of this ABV and style. Overall, I liked this release a lot more fresh than the 2008- the slightly tweaked recipe was definitely an improvement. It will be interesting to see how this one develops with a little age on it.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A--Pours black as night with a dark brown sliver of head that fades very quickly leaving just a tiny ring. Wish there was a little more head, next time I have one I will give it a hard pour straight into the bottom of the glass and see what it does. The color was very nice while it lasted.

S--Holy cow this is big, boozy and complex. Roasted malts, coffee beans, oak, vanilla, trace amounts of whiskey.

T--This is a smack across the jaw with a baseball bat. I'm happy to note that the whiskey flavors here are balanced well with the coffee notes. I was afraid it would be too hot but it definitely is not. Just a nice mix of coffee, oak, and bourbon. Perhaps a bit too much of an acrid coffee bean roastiness, but below that quite superb.

M--Medium to full bodied, a bit more creaminess would put this over the top

D--Definitely a slow drinker here due to the intense flavor, but at over 11% ABV what do you expect really? Definitely a beer for those who adore brashness, although perhaps not quite refined enough to be truly drinkable. 6 oz. served at nearly room temperature would make for the best drinking experience with this brew.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottle courtesy of a great friend.

A: Pours pitch black with a slight brown halo when held up to the light. The head was non-existent when poured into my snifter and there wasn't a single carbonation bubble to be found.

S: Coffee, vanilla, caramel, a certain "sawdust" aroma that isn't as unappealing as it sounds.

T: The booze isn't as well-hidden as I would have liked, but that is the only flaw in this beer. Coffee and chocolate with oak.

M: Perfect. It's thick without being cloying. Silky smooth.

D: This is a sipper. A delicious, delicious sipper. The only negatives are the price and the fact that it is pretty boozy. I went to kiss my girlfriend and she said, "You smell like coffee and booze"

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nitro-tap @ Founders.
8oz pour into snifter.

A - A silky black with a fluffy head with a tight tan color. Super sticky, lots of lacing along the edge of the snifter. The head does not disipitate at all, it just hangs around.

S - Chocolate covered coffee beans, bourbon, caramel.

T - Milk chocolate, bourbon, slight bitterness, coffee beans. I would smack my lips together over and over after every taste, so good!

M - Smooth, creamy, soft, medium-full bodied but not overly so, just right. Very little fizzy carbonation, perfect.

D - So easy, so scary!

I didn't think KBS could get better but out of the nitro-tap, it is!

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz bottle purchased as part of a case from Green's in Columbia by a friend of mine. Thanks again Dan! Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a jet black with no hints of any colors even when held up to the light. The head was extremely short lived but was a beautiful chocolate color when it was there. The ring of bubbles that does remain leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Vanilla, oak, bourbon, coffee, and dark roasted malts all join together to make a wonderful complex and inviting aroma.

T: I hate to do it a bit of an injustice by saying see the smell category and change aroma to taste, but it is perfect for this one. What an incredible tasty and complex brew. The vanilla and bourbon make it a real special treat to me.

M: It is a bit thinner than I would expect for the style. The oak also makes it a bit harsh in the mouth for me even though I like the flavor it gives it causes the mouthfeel to suffer a bit.

D: The ABV is well hidden, but you still naturally want to sip this one to savor it. With that said, it does drink easier than quite a few of its style competitors.

This is a great brew and worth all the accolades and posts it gets. Once again a big thanks to Dan for getting a case for myself and a friend to share. I have traded quite a bit of it away for some other gems to various local buddies. I am pretty sure I am going to keep the rest of it for myself.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company