2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,087 | Reviews: 2,412 | Show All Ratings:
peacemakers48

The Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the second best stout I have ever had next to the Bourbon County Coffee. Nice flavour all the way through and is remarkably smooth. Although the alcohol content is high, the taste is really light. This is a stout I could drink a bunch of as opposed to the coffe which is more if a one and done.

04-05-2014 15:09:42 | More by peacemakers48
j_rod22

4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours very dark, 1 1/2 finger khaki brown lacy head, beautiful looking

S - Wow! awesome coffee undertones with vanilla, espresso, and chocolate up front

T - hits the palate with a great hint of that Bourbon, with coffee vanilla at the end; very smooth

M - very thick chocolate mouthfeel, very pleasant not to hard on the palate every sip was very well balanced

O - definitely lived up to its hype! I would love to compare '13 to this years batch. Though I was not disappointed! Awesome stuff!

04-05-2014 05:16:18 | More by j_rod22
Doerrijustmether

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

beer pours dark brown almost black to a medium khaki hear about 1 finger.

smell is up front bourbon, with chocolate undertones. the bourbon being the main focus.

drinks like perfection, each flavor is completely balanced and complements one another.

lace is smooth and does not leave a lasting aftertaste, chocolate, espresso and bourbon all in the profile, i want more.

i'm left yearning for another, only able to secure one bottle.

Ive been on the hunt for this beer since ive got into crafts. i was worried that this would not live up to the hype. For those who are worried, it did. ive drank other bourbon aged brews and no other are able to complement the flavor profiles. Everything in this beer seems to complement not overpower. I can with certainly say this is the pinnacle of my beer drinking to this point. i will be dreaming of this beer again. outstanding Founders, this make me feel doubly proud to be a Michigander.

04-05-2014 03:16:48 | More by Doerrijustmether
tberry1693

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%

Had to bribe my local craft beer store to actually sell me one of these. Enjoying it as I write this. This is by far the best I've had from Founders and definitely up there with some of my other favorite beers. It pours near black with a creamy brown head. The smell is fantastic, like chocolate milk and vanilla bourbon. I've had many stouts flavored with coffee and chocolate before but this one definitely takes the cake, far and away. The first thing that hits the palate is the oak and the bourbon with a little bit of coffee bitterness. You can definitely tell that this beer is 11.2% alcohol; it warms the throat but in a very pleasant way. The aftertaste is very forward on the chocolate with undertones of coffee. It was mildly carbonated, and I enjoyed it more as it warmed up. Overall, fantastic beer. I will try my best to find another before they all sell out, and I recommend that you do too!

04-05-2014 02:44:18 | More by tberry1693
JeffoC6

4.91/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: 3/2/14 (I think? It's tough to see)
Drinking: 4/4/14 @ 7:30 PM
Setting: Living room couch, watching Bear Grylls: Escape from Hell- CANYONS

Scored one bottle this year. I tried for a few others, but it didn't work out. Happy to have one, and can't wait to enjoy this baby.

A: Poured into a snifter glass after letting the beer sit at room temp for 15 minutes. Poured somewhat aggressively and got a nice 1 1/2 finger of a chocolaty milk-like head. The beer itself is almost jet black with shades of deep purple. The heead fades over about 2 minutes to about 1/2 finger and caps the inky liquid beneath. Deep, dark, and sexy sexy, that's for sure.

S: Dark roasted coffee beans and vanilla cream immediately hit the nose. Huge chocolate presence with hints of bourbon and oak. A faint hint of cinnamon perhaps? Earthy hop tones balance out the rich malty sweetness. Bravo!

T: Taste follows the nose with the bitterness of the coffee and toasted vanilla up front. There's some glorious flavors in here: Creme brule', burnt caramel, roasted coffee and cream, oak, peat, char, toasted coconut, and enough balance from the earthy hop bitterneess to keep everything in check. A wonderful richness throughout.

MF: This beer leaves a lacquer-like coating on the tongue. It washes over all of the taste receptors in your mouth, and because of it's stickiness, allows for all of the flavors to linger and let themselves be experienced, before finishing dry. Really leaves you wanting more.

O: When I had this beer last year, I claimed it to be the best beer I've ever had. Since that time, I've been fortunate enough to try the likes of Heady Topper, Pliny The Elder, Goose Island BCBS, etc...Gun to my head, I'm a stout guy, and because of that, I still lean towards this offering as one of the best beers out there, if not the best. I know it's hyped beyond belief, but maybe-just-maybe it's worth it? Yep.

04-05-2014 00:18:45 | More by JeffoC6
DrStiffington

Got one from my beer guy today. Cracked it open tonight. Pours a midnight black with a small head. Smells nicely of chocolate. Slight coffee too. The coffee comes out a bit more with the first taste. Hmm. A bit tangy as well. Just the right amount of booziness. Mouthfeel is incredible. Thick, smooth, creamy. Overall a fantastic beer. Not quite as high in alcohol as ones like DFH120 or as boozy as BCBS, which, in my opinion, makes this one more enjoyably drinkable. My first perfect score.

04-05-2014 00:15:02 | More by DrStiffington
TysonNavarre

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%

Good beer overall. Was handed to me by the beer buyer at my usual craft store. The way he talked about KBS you would think its the second coming. At $8.99 per bottle, it sure as heck should be.

The KBS did not disappoint. As good as it was, the price bothered me a bit for one reason: This beer tastes almost exactly like Dragon's Milk from New Holland. There are some differences, mainly the coffee and chocolate tones, but other than that its got that same boozy taste which I love.

Anyway, did I like this beer? YES. Would I buy it again? NO. I would rather have a good Dragon's Milk at half the price than wait and/or beg for a single bottle of this when its made once a year. Good it is, but that good, it ain't.

04-04-2014 23:59:27 | More by TysonNavarre
hillvt4me

Vermont

3.96/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Black with red undertone. Minimal light brown head with pour into a tulip.

S - fudge-chocolate. coffee beans, dark fruit and earthy leather.

T - Bourbon, chocolate, cherry, Etoh and coffee. The flavored enriched and developed with some time and change toward room temperature.

M - Thin, silky smooth, low carbonation.

O - Solid brew, though I am recalling last years batch a bit more fondly.

04-04-2014 21:56:09 | More by hillvt4me
jageraholic

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 KBS. Number abiove are from 2013. This release snuck up on me but i was able to track down a bottle in the area. Served into my snifter around 50-55 degrees.

A: a beauty. Pitch black, light brown froth on top. Microbubbles keeping it alive. 5

S: fantastic aromas of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, some oak, a little anise, caramel and slight hint of alcohol heat in the background. 5

T: wow. Wave of sweet bourbon at first, vanilla follows with some burnt chocolate and caramel in the background. Coffee in the finish and alcohol heat in the aftertaste but in a good way. Man i wish i was sitting by a fire drinking this. Crazy wave of flavors with each sip being a different flavor taken dominance. Awesome wild ride to drink. 4.75

M: coats the mouth but dissapates really quickly. Leaves a lingering presence known along with some of the complex flavors above. A little over carbonated for a stout which is its only flaw. But that goes away the slower i drink it. 4

O: a phenominal beer and one i look forward to every year. Worth every moment of tracking it down. Looking at my review of last year, 2014 definitely has more stout quality and is really really awesome. 4.5

2013 KBS...start of my birthweek, sitting outside, been drinking a lot of IPAs lately, time for a stout.

A: rough pour, nice inch light brown head that reduces down to a microline of bubbles throughout the rest of the beer experience. Pitch black in the body of the tulip glass, with a light clear brown around the surface edge. Beautiful stout.

S: lot of bourbon in the smell. Very sweet. Some vanilla and chocolate in the background, but smell is predominately sweet. Like if maple candy were bourbon rather than maple. No sense of any alcohol in the smell. Slight coffee notes come out too. Alcohol comes out more as it warms.

T: lot of sweet bourbon in the taste. Takes over the mouth at first, then gives way to notes of vanilla, maybe a little cherry in the background. Not much chocolate, coffee or malt taste...yea,not getting many stout flavors, but very smooth bourbon (pleasant bourbon,not overwhelming like fresh BCBS) vanilla and slight tart cherry. No woodiness. Alcohol presenting itself as it gets mid 50s and getting more chocolate.

M: very thick in the palate, coats the mouth with a nice dry finish leaving the great flavor in my mouth and wanting more.

O: I remember more stout qualities in the past, even when i tried this years when it was first released. I like the balance of the bourbon aging and imp stout qualities that KBS usually has and this one is lacking that. It is very sweet and very flavorful, incredibly smooth beer with no burn at all for a hgh abv beer. Was expecting more stout, got more bourbon, and founders did excellent, because i'm not dissapointed in the slightest. Just have to throw in when the alcohol shows itself, it tastes like delicious chocolate bourbon with a smooth subtle burn, basement temp is the way to go with this beer. Excellent job prost!

04-04-2014 21:10:26 | More by jageraholic
hodsongolf

This is always one of the most hyped/limited beers out there in my area (RVA). I even went to the big box total wine the day it was supposed to be delivered and the manager told me they were only getting 1 case (1 bottle per person). imagine my surprise to find it on draft at Brew (chester, VA). Now I know what all the hype is about.

04-04-2014 20:09:40 | More by hodsongolf
s8bored

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

The 2014 KBS release was as delicious as last year and the previous.

Enjoyed on tap with good friends. Appearance was dark and chocolatey with passable light filtering through its heavy depths.

Nose was coffee and dark molasses. Great nose filling stoutiness.

Taste was chocolate and coffee. Dark toast. And booze! Nice warming going sensation going down.

Slight carbonation. Just the right amount of viscosity.

Overall, one of the best barrel aged stouts around. A enigma for some and a legend to others.

04-04-2014 18:40:49 | More by s8bored
kgncfl

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

After the great Columbus chase of 2014 I finally got my hands on a couple of bottles. It is true that when you are considerate to the store, they are considerate back. What goes around comes around.

A-Poured aggressively into by tulip glass it poured a deep dark brown. I got a nice head with the pour, a beautiful mocha colors which held its old for a bit.

S-Got some oaky smell, but what came through for me was the coffee, and a slight hint of chocolate

T-Took the first pull while it was cold and got a big hit of bourbon upfront, then a nice kiss of chocolate followed by a nice coffee finish. As it warmed up I got a lot more coffee forward, big roasted taste.

M- I'd call this medium, not too thick, not too thin. Goldilocks would love this beer.

O-A very good stout, that is great for breakfast. (Which is how I had it). I'll drink it again, but with other great stouts more easily available I probably won't hunt this down again.

04-04-2014 15:40:25 | More by kgncfl
wesside89

4.21/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

ReReview 04-04-14....
Not as good as past vintages. Thinner and more porter like, lots of coffee/bourbon/chocolate in aftertase. However it is lacking with in your face aroma and flavor. Maybe I am spoiled, but not as god-like as it's former self , still an amazing brew as it is now, but nothing like I remember. Slightly disappointed in Founder's after all the expansion, Breakfast Stout has/ is not the same, nor is KBS now.

2011:

figured this would be a good place to start for my first review since it's the best beer I've ever had and prolly ewill have this year

Bottled 2-25-11 poured into New Belgium Globe

A- Jet black with dark brown mocha head that sticks around for awhile... Looks beautiful

S- Bourbon and vanilla dominate, with hints of coffe and chocolate.. Alcohol.. Just incredible

T- Where to begin so complex and smooth and balanced it's ridiculous... Bourbon dominates the aroma up front, lingering into a awesome dark chocolate/coffee taste that stays long after it's gone... High ABV is masked perfectly and is there just enough to warm ya up....Tons if oaky bourbon flavor as it warms

M- perfect.... Coats the mouth with all the flavors and clings on to ur
tastebuds forever, good minimal carbonation and incredibly smooth

O- Founders is one of the best and they never fail to remind you of that with KBS. best stout money can buy imho... Had a ton of gre
at stouts over the winter and can honestly say this beer is worth the hunt and money you will go through/pay from here on out... Look forward to
having the rest in the future

04-04-2014 07:16:04 | More by wesside89
Jack_Malts

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Founders KBS 2014 release 11.2% abv

Pours black/midnight brown with no head, no lacing

Smell is sweet bourbon booziness, vanilla, heavily sweetened dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, . Everything it says on the box. No nonsense.

Taste has a bigger coffee presence than the nose because of some bitterness in the aftertaste. I’m also getting darker chocolate, almost approaching cocoa powder tartness. Vanilla and sweet bourbon booziness are very enticing. I’m detecting a little licorice as well. The warming alcohol presence is delightful. Bourbon is very present in the finish. All the flavors blend together nicely. More and more bourbon as it warms.

Low carbonation, full body, a little sticky, never cloys. Delightfully alcoholic.

I can’t say much about this beer that hasn’t already been said. It is amazing. One of the best BBL stouts I’ve ever had. I feel like a lot of breweries that do BBL stouts make the mistake of not leaving them in the barrel long enough. It takes patience to make a beer this good, just like it took me a hell of a lot of patience and effort to find the damn thing. I can say with great confidence that I am enjoying this more than BCBS. I haven’t had the coffee varietal yet, so lord knows how delicious that is. The only beer that I can say I enjoyed more than this is Old Rasputin XVI. Now that was a hell of a beer. That being said, this is a much cheaper beer. A 500ml bottle of XVI cost 24$, whereas I was able to get a four pack of this for about the same price, making this beer infinitely more economical.

About the four pack - the four pack was a mish-mash of bottles from different locations around Northern Virginia. I had quite an adventure assembling the four pack, one that I will probably remember for the rest of my life as my first real beer adventure. I’m sure there are more to come, but those will probably involve trips to Belgium. Or Vermont. Or California. You know what I’m getting at. All that I can say is that it was totally worth everything I went through to get it. So please please please do try this beer. You will love it.

Also, drink it first. You’ll only get a full appreciation for this beer if you start drinking it sober. This is not a nightcap. It is an event, and should be treated as such. I’ve made that mistake before, and it is the worst mistake you can make.

04-04-2014 04:01:40 | More by Jack_Malts
mjstacker

New Hampshire

4.59/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My 1st experience with KBS. Looks a lot like Coca Cola in my snifter. Almost no head, more of a film that dissipated quickly. Smells near perfect for what it is, lots o' coffee & chocolate not getting the vanilla that others have mentioned. Tastes almost exactly as it smells, pretty damn good. The mouthfeel is smooth but kind of bores me they way most non-carbonated beverages do. Overall, this is fantastic. I like the lower alcohol/booziness of the regular Breakfast Stout, though I know they claim this is it's own beer. That said this is an amazing stout.

04-04-2014 02:27:26 | More by mjstacker
curasowa

4.65/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Opaque, black, dark as night, just a thin cap of tan head and an oily film on the surface.

Aroma: All the usual suspects; roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, hints of vanilla.

Taste: Amazing. Creamy, smooth, infinitely drinkable. Roasted malt, dark roast coffee, bittersweet chocolate, just short of sticky sweet. Finish is a lingering molasses/roasted taste that makes you want more.

The Rest: Phenomenal. This one totally lived up to the hype.

04-04-2014 01:30:51 | More by curasowa
Jjski

3.53/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me say that I've enjoyed KBS for years, and this is only one bottle..

Thin, no bourbon, coffee forward. Drinks like a mild mannered porter.

Why are there no dates on this year's bottles?

Not good, but if I try a good bottle.... I will retract this review.

04-03-2014 23:44:42 | More by Jjski
tmaury

4.86/5  rDev +5%

I love this stuff. This year might be better than last year, or maybe it's because It's been almost a year since I had it last. I think I will cellar some this year. If i can resist the temptation.

The appearance is amazing. Dark with a hazy brown head.
The smell is amazing. Like walking into a cafe. The oak and chocolate smell will definitely hit you.
The taste is like chocolate bourbon.
Heavy feel.
Overall, I just love this beer.

04-03-2014 22:45:02 | More by tmaury
WhiteHillsStore

Connecticut

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

An astounding beer. Although incredibly hard to find (Researched and went to four stores before I found one that would reserve and sell to me.) it was well worth the wait. The pour is as thick and black as motor oil with a toffee colored head. The smell was divine with notes of caramel and coffee. The taste had more bourbon than I was expecting but the sweetness from the barrels combined with the dark chocolate and coffee flavors was heavenly. An absolute triumph of beer. If you are committed enough to find and acquire a bottle, buy it without a second thought.

04-03-2014 16:33:22 | More by WhiteHillsStore
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.48/5  rDev -3.2%

Context: 12oz bottle of the 2013 vintage (just obtained today in the Great KBS Derby of Madison 2013) poured into a Bell's tulip. This is the first I've had of 2013, but I've had 2012 in the past. Disclosures: there is the potential for the extra work of obtaining this beer to influence this review, as I left work early and drove across town to get some.

Aroma: Smells just as good as I remember it. Very big, pungent nose that I can smell coming out of the bottle. Very, very bourbon barrel forward nose- vanilla and oak dominating. There is some dark brewed coffee, and some cocoa and chocolate malt aromas that comes to the front as it warms up. While its dominated by the bourbon barrel characteristics, it's up there with BCBS and Black Note when it comes to aroma.

Colour: Looks great. Pours a viscous jet black body- not quite Ten FIDY but really thick. It may be the way I poured it, but it comes with nearly no head whatsoever and leaves just a thin brown collar. It might have to do with me drying my tulip glass by hand with a towel just before drinking this. I'll revisit when I drink another one in a clean dry glass, but even then- the relative lack of head is pretty typical of imperial stouts. Also, the lacing is pretty average- it's there and sticks, but there isn't a ton of it. Overall it beats some of the other BA stouts I've had but not by much.

Flavour: Nice. The first sip of this beer kicks me in the face with its bourbon barrel-forward character. Tons of vanilla and oak. Just like the nose. It's pretty much all bourbon barrel for the first few minutes. And as it warms up, I can make out cocoa and dark chocolate malt flavours, almost on the bitter side even. Warming up some more, the coffee definitely makes its appearance, tasting like cold brewed coffee- not too stale, not too pungent- not too coffee forward like people seem to always be saying about fresh KBS. A nice progression of flavours that continue to layer on top of each other. It's quite fun to sip on as it goes from fridge-cold to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: Compared to what I remember of last year's, it's actually a bit thicker on the body which I'd classify as on the thinner side of thick body. Last year would be thicker side of medium bodied. This could be pure semantics or pure folly. It's as creamy as ever that leaves my palate with a dry finish. Carbonation is average for beer in general, and is just about right for this kind of beer. The aftertaste is a nice, smooth mix of bitter coffee and chocolate and the bourbon barrel oak flavours. And I definitely feel the heat as the beer warms up to room temperature. This beer doesn't disappoint in the mouthfeel department.

Overall: Despite all the naysayers saying this year's KBS is thinner bodied, has no bourbon, etc., it seems to me that this is the same KBS that we've all come to enjoy. I'm happy to have gotten my hands on some of this year's vintage. It's a nice, complex beer that's great to sip on- it really should be released 3 months earlier in the winter. It's a very good bourbon barrel-aged coffee imperial stout that any BA stout fan would really enjoy and that's as simple as that. Ignore the hype, taste the beer and be happy.

Old rating: 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5, total score 4.48

Note: I would consider holding onto this beer for a month or two to see if the bourbon barrel contribution mellows out a bit and to see if you can get some of the underlying malt flavours.

Re-review (2014 vintage): Picked up a bottle of this perennial treat on KBS Day yesterday, 4/1/2014. Poured into a Founders' etched snifter today, 4/2/2014. Essentially, it's very similar to last year in terms of my tasting notes. However nose-wise, I feel that the coffee is very subdued, and the bourbon is a bit watered down. Not as much vanilla (from the bourbon/oak) or oak presence here. The bourbon really doesn't hit me in the face as much as it did in last year's vintage. Flavourwise, plenty of sweet chocolate flavours, dark malts, milk chocolate, some coffee which is clearly not as noticeable as BCBCS et al. On the backend, there is more of a solid straight bourbon flavour that is initially sweet and a bit ashy, but the barrel contribution is relatively minimal. Good mouthfeel, viscous but a bit hot, leaves a nice warmth in my stomach as I drink it. But overall this is a slight letdown for me considering how much I enjoyed last year's version. It could very well be palate evolution or bottle variation. If I were to re-rate this beer, I'd give this a 4/4.25/4.25/4.5/4.25 and that looks like a total score of 4.26. Still a very good drinking experience.

04-03-2014 02:02:57 | More by Stevedore
kjfinnerty

4.44/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Black, one finger dark tan head with very aggressive pour into a tulip.

S - Dark fruit, vanilla, earthy leather.

T - Bourbon, alcohol, coffee, bitter chocolate. After the first sip my palate was acclimated to bourbon and I was able to pick up on the vanilla, coffee, roasted malt easier.

M - Thin, silky smooth, low carbonation.

O - Definitely an amazing brew. Really happy to have gotten the chance to try. Would like to see how it ages alas I was only able to get one 12 oz bottle.

04-03-2014 01:04:29 | More by kjfinnerty
dexterk1

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 version on tap. Appearance was flat black with a small brown head on the pour I had. The head had some staying power.
The aroma was excellent. I would say very close to breakfast stout. Chocolate, caramel, coffee and a little bourbon of course.
Taste was what I would call very expected. Outstanding. Breakfast stout dark sweetness and chocolate. Some coffee as well. These with a little bourbon thrown in. Not boozy or over powering, the bourbon flavor was very complementary. The alcohol comes through near the end as well. Mouth feel is smooth and creamy. Rich and sweet on the tongue.
Overall, excellent. I would say it was a little shy of breakfast stout itself. That is a very high standard though.

04-03-2014 00:14:07 | More by dexterk1
puboflyons

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 2014 batch. Sampled on April 2, 2014 and served around 50 degrees.

The pour is deep dark brown to about black. with a quick lasting dark brown head. Opaque. Attractive and inviting to look at.

The aroma has a dark malt and dark fruit character that is expected for a stout. The promised coffee and chocolate notes seem more muted. But I do pick up some alcohol.

Thin to medium body. I might have liked it to be heavier.

The taste also has the same sort of dark fruit, dark malt character with a modest bitter finish. Everything merges together well but I am not sure if this lives up to the hype. Of course this was the first year I had it.

04-02-2014 23:13:09 | More by puboflyons
Hopdaemon39

4.86/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my mitts on this one- stands up to its immense hype. Beautiful dark color with nice foam and retention, fragrant coffee chocolate and booze, taste is perfectly balanced and incredibly rich without any cloying mouthfeel whatsoever. It's really good.

04-02-2014 21:29:17 | More by Hopdaemon39
BoldRulerVermont

Vermont

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My 100th review! KBS!
Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.
Pours dark almost black, minimal caramel head.
Aromas are totally Breakfast Stout with a delicious mix of bourbon. Chocolate, coffee, roastiness, bourbon.
Taste is sophisticated. The characteristics of beloved Breakfast Stout are all there, but are totally complimented by the bourbon. Bourbon is not too forward nor is too neglected. It's perfectly balanced.
Mouthfeel is rich, silky, inviting.
This beer lives up to expectations and it surprised me how sophisticated and balanced it was. Flat out expertly crafted beer.

04-02-2014 15:41:59 | More by BoldRulerVermont