Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,237
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,787 | Hads: 10,696
4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle from 2011. Poured into my Bruery tulip.

A - Midnight black on a starless night in the wilderness. And a great mocha head.

S - Tons of coffee with some chocolate and bourbon on the back end. One of the best smelling stouts out there, no doubt about it.

T - Great coffee flavor, even though it is a year old. Tons of smooth bourbon vanilla character. No alcohol burn after it being this far out. So fantastic.

< - Super smooth and velvety. Fresh, it does have an alcohol burn. But with time, this really mellows out.

O - Easily one of my favorite beers out there. I could drink this all the time. Definitely worthy of its huge score. And then, there is CBS, which is just slightly better.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured 12oz. bottle 2010 version into a snifter.

A: Color is dark chocolate with slight creamy chocolate head. Recedes quickly but small creamy ring remains as I allow it to warm in the glass.

S: The smell is incredible! Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon come through big time. The aroma of this beer is at least half the enjoyment, maybe more. I swirl it in the snifter as it warms and enjoy the unbelievable aroma.

T: Intense dark chocolate along with the coffee and bourbon flavors give this beer a truly unique taste. You can tell the high alcohol is there; but does not take from the flavor of this sipper.

M: Thick mouth feel with slight carbonation. Alcohol is warming and wonderful.

D: This is an awesome stout and one that I will be able to enjoy again and again. I will age a few and will love to taste again after a year or so.

Summary: Founders does an awesome stout and the KBS is one that you have to try to believe!

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours a deep dark brown color with a slow forming, finger thick dark tan head that slowly dissipates and leaves nice lacing down the side of the snifter.

S: Lots of rich scents coming through. Coffee beans upfront with an aggressive blast of bourbon bursting right through the coffee and taking over the nose. Slight hints of vanilla bean and chocolate are picked up as well, but the bourbon is the main scent.

T: The taste is much like the smell, only better. The upfront taste is a bit of chocolate and the coffee beans, very delicious upfront taste. This is followed by the powerful bourbon flavor that hangs around the palate. The finish is dry with some vanilla and chocolate and of course, a nice bourbon flavor.

M: Full bodied with little carbonation. As expected the feel is bourbon and coffee beans.

D: This is truly a world class beer. Breakfast Stout is good enough but this kicks it into another gear. The flavor is outstanding, well balanced and very smooth. This is not just your typical "beer on steroids," it's perfectly done, what a beer! Great job once again Founders.

2009 KBS, 11.2% ABV, 70 IBU's

A: Thick, viscous on the pour. Consistency of motor oil. Pitch black, opaque with a slight dark tan head which dissipates quickly.

S: The aromas on the forefront are bourbon and oak which lends nice vanilla notes. That is followed by an onslaught of gourmet bold coffee and dark chocolate. This one makes my mouth water... always a good sign. I could literally get lost in the aroma ... the best aroma I have ever experienced in a beer

T: Wow, talk about balance for such a big beer. The bourbon and coffee play off of each other flawlessly with undertones of vanilla, dark chocolate, and oak. As the glass warms, different flavors are accented. First it was the bourbon, then the coffee, then the chocolate. All of it comes together with a presence of alcohol at the end, but at 11.2%, this is to be expected. I am thankful I got my hands on a few of these.

M: A very thick body that is silky smooth.

D: Simply delicious. 'Nuff said.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

My first review on this site since moving over from RB, and it's for one of the finest brews I've had the pleasure of ever having.

I've been eagerly awaiting KBS' arrival ever since I found out that Founders was coming to NJ, and I surely wasn't disappointed. But just finding this beer alone, was an experience in itself. I traversed for dozens of miles across the state, asked around, begged and I fortunately finally found a retailer where I could purchase an entire 4-pack.

I poured an '09 bottle delicately into a snifter and it yielded a classic, yet subtlety striking, 'midnight mud'-brown typical of a fine Imperial Stout with a razor-thin burnt sienna head, that quickly subsidized.

The aroma was strong, yet complex. I noticed the coffee right away and then the chocolate. Next, mild bourbon danced in the background, followed by just the smallest hint of vanilla.

I knew I was in for a treat, as soon as it touched my lips. I would say the coffee and bourbon are the most distinct and crisp flavors which I noticed right away. The chocolate in the mid-pallete definitely harmonizes those two strikingly different flavors. The aftertaste definitely had the slight oak burn with a bit of smoke, which is soothed over by a gentle, but enjoyable vanilla. Overall, extremely complex and each flavor complimented the other.

In my mouth it felt a bit heavy, but was incredibly silky and not and smooth as it whirled around my palette, but completely lacking an oily characteristic. I savored every second of drinking it, and I did not want it to end, which is remarkable for a beer at this ABV.

Overall, an American-made masterpiece, and I can't wait to see how this ages.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a growler I scored, 2012 vintage, thanks Cicero's; shared it with a large tasting group.

It's black, it leaves a slight dark coating on the glass as you swirl it, the head was minimal and it disapated quickly to a light ring in the glass, legs abound as you swirl or tip the glass.

The smell is of boozy bourbon, light notes of chocolate and vanilla hit me while the oaky bourbon stays in the spotlight.

The taste is what you want in a breakfast stout, I get coffee, chocolates, and the bourbon. This growler is more boozy than past KBS I have had.

In my mouth it's silky and filling. It covers my mouth with warmth the way I could see it coat the glass. The carbonation is right and the finish is perfect for this style.

Nothing I can say can give this beer the respect it deserves. You know you should have some in your cellar. Once you've had it youknow what to expect from an aged breakfast stout, KBS sets the bar.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Very dark back, no light comes through at all with a thin brown head.

Smell: This has to be one of the best parts about this beer. Strong bourbon scent with a hint of coffee/chocolate.

Taste: The first thing you taste when you take a sip is a hint of espresso and coffee. Finish has a strong bourbon flavor.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth for this high of an ABV, I was not expecting it to be this smooth.

Overall: Very complex and smooth beer, the abv is pretty high but its surprisingly easy to drink. Great to sip on for a while after a meal.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

What better way to top off Derby Day 2008 than with a KBS. 12oz bottle courtesy of knight84 poured into a snifter. Big thanks Dave!

A: Pours oil slick black with a dense one-finger brown head that dissipates almost immediately leaving very good lacing.

S: Roasted coffee dominates the nose with a definite bourbon aroma that is underpinned by a faint malt aroma with a vanilla and dark fruit sweetness (very faint). One of the best noses on any beer I've had, near perfect for me.

T: Wow, the taste is massive! It starts with a huge roasted/burnt coffee flavor with a heavy dose of chocolately malts, bourbon and wood. Then there is all kind of other things bouncing around the taste buds - caramel, dark fruits, vanilla - tough to identify all of it. Bitterness of the coffee taste lingers for...days.

M: Medium body yet very creamy and smooth mouthfeel.

D: Despite the massive nature of this brew, I found it tough to put down. This is, without a doubt, one of the most unique beers I have tasted and I hope to get my hands on some more of it.

EDIT: I've had this numerous times in the last year or so and I had to up my review a bit. This is one of the best handful of beers in the world. Absolutely phenomenal.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Another beer that had me worried about the hype. It lived up to it, as did Heady.

A- brownish blackish black. Coffee head that got to about 1 finger with an aggressive pour then calmed down quickly.

S- bourbon, chocolate, coffee, sweet. So much complexity. There were so many flavors it was hard to pull them all out.

T- Rich, sweet, smooth, tiny alcohol burn that I hoped for. Too easy to drink. Left me wanting a second one. Tasted bourbon, coffee, vanilla.

M- nailed the consistency. Velvet. Creamy. Not oily. Not overly thick. Just what I hoped for. Carbonation balances the beverage but is hardly noticeable past that.

O- I just said to my wife "I was really looking forward to this one, but I would rather sit on these last few than drink them on anything other than a special night." This beer shocked me. Best stout I've had. Phenomenal.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

This brew pours black as night, damn near opaque, with a slow forming dark tan head that laces the glass like an IPA. Aroma is at first a strong roasted coffee, like a Starbucks in the morning; but that gives way to a more powerful chocolate flavor, bitter and dark like a Russian chocolate bar, also lots of sweetness there, malty like cocoa malt and caramel, some faint hints of vanilla. Taste is thick and meaty, espresso and burnt hot cocoa dominate, nice bit or warming alcohol there that lets you know this is a big brew not to be trifled with. Aftertaste has some of the bourbon characteristics, very woody.

This is a very complex brew, as any RIS, eisbock or barley wine could be. A brilliant beer that must be experienced.

Big thanks to buffs9 for this one
12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pitch black with a small dark tan head

S- Roasted coffee, chocolate, oak, bourbon, vanilla. Very rich and complex.

T- Just as complex as the smell. Nice chocolate flavor in the middle, roasted coffee and oak up front. The bourbon in the finish is a little strong, but not off putting. Just amazing

M- Smooth, creamy, thick.

O- Awesome beer and a great sipper. A little hot, but in a good way. I would really like to see what this would be like with some age on it.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Served on tap at Foran's Grand Trunk Pub (Detroit, MI) Founders' event 8/4/2011:

A - Deep dark color, so brown its almost black. Came to the table with a nice mocha colored head on it.

S - First smell is of coffee, but sweeter, followed by an almost burnt caramel scent.

T - Roasted taste hits up front, dark chocolate, with the unmistakeable flavors of bourbon.

M - Coats the tongue without feeling syrupy.

O - I was first introduced to Founders via their Breakfast Stout at many a Michigan Beer Night in Mt. Pleasant during my more formative College drinking years. After being made aware of KBS I've spent a long time tracking this beer down and was ready to be disappointed simply because of the build-up. Fortunately the beer did not disappoint one bit and my patience was rewarded with a great tasting beer. Would love to find this beer in the wild (i.e. bottled) next year and see how some age treats it.

12oz bottle

Pours black with a thick dark wet sandy brown head that lasted about a minute.

The nose is excellent! The sweet malts stand out at first with plenty of coffee aroma up front and chocolate is noticeable in the background. The bourbon is then picked up by the nose and it mixes well with the sweet malts.

The flavor is unreal! The bourbon is a pleasant addition to the coffee and chocolate. The sweetness of the malts are picked up on the tongue first but the bourbon is not far behind and rounds the beer off very well.

Medium body with minimal carbonation.

Excellent brew. I am fortunate to have 2 more bottles left to enjoy this year. This is an amazing stout and if you have the chance to get any of this, you should.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to ncmussell for this one.

A: Black liquid with a fine light brown head.

S: Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, oak, toasted malt; I just want to dive right in.

T: Wow. Extremely complex. A whirlwind of flavours. Up front it is on the bitter side, with flavours of coffee and toasted malt; this gives way to chocolate and some alcohol with a bourbon and oak aftertaste.

M: Medium to thick viscosity and a low level of carbonation. Slight drying from the alcohol.

O: A legendary and beautiful beer. Its like a mocha cheesecake and a swig of a good bourbon all in one mouthful.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours thick, opaque black with deep espresso brown tones around the edges. Has decent amount of mocha colored head from a vigorous pour. Head dissipated somewhat quickly, leaving thin foam ring around the glass and an oily layer at the top of the pour.

S: All the standards you would expect from a BA Stout: bourbon, coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, roasted malts.

T: Same as smell: bourbon, coffee, chocolate, oak, vanilla, roasted malts. Also some alcohol warmth. Great balance on everything, especially as it warms to room temp.

M: Thick, chewy mouthfeel. Leaves creamy coating on mouth. Low carbonation.

O: IMO this is a nearly perfect beer when fresh, but doesn’t do too well with age on it.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours Dark Black with a light carmel head.

S: As soon as it was placed in front of me, it overwhelmed me. Definitely could smell the Bourbon & Chocolate, with hints of coffee, oak, toasted malt. Instantly made my mouth water.

T: Very complex. Flavors coming from everywhere. The first favors to come though was with coffee and toasted malt, then it gives way to chocolate and some alcohol. Lastly you taste the bourbon and oak aftertaste. It's not an overwhelming Bourbon taste though.

M: Low carbonation, with a heavy to medium viscosity.

O: I had waited a long time to try this, since I live on the West Coast. This was everything I had hoped for. Definitely an amazing beer, that lives up to the hype. Was able to get this at 3 Floyd's Brew Pub, to my surprise. I went there for all their beers, but had to try this one before all the others.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass

Appearance: Dark brown and tan head quickly fades into a lacing and then a ring on top of the beer. Its pitch black and in the low lighting that is my apartment there is no chance of seeing through this one.

Aroma: Upon taking the first whiff I thought I heard and saw trumpets sounding and light emanating from the glass. This is a truly sublime smelling beer. This is without a doubt the perfect blend of vanilla, coffee, bourbon, chocolate, and subtle fruity esters that I have ever experienced.

Taste: It took me a while to finally take the first sip because I was too busy enjoying the aroma bursting through the rim of my glass. Upon my first sip I realize that I shouldn’t have waited so long and fall into an unconsciousness serenity. Amazing balance of coffee, oak, bourbon, sweet molasses, chocolate, and a slight boozy finish are the flavor profile I can discern.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation that only tingles and awakens your taste buds. Silky smooth and very easy to drink, almost too easy, I had to force myself to slow down and enjoy it.

Overall: This is an incredible beer! There is no doubt that next year I will attempt to trade for at least a 4 pack. Truly world class, one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It easily lived up to the hype and surpassed it.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz 2013 edition poured into a Snifter, first time having it fresh.

A vigorous pour leads to a fat two finger khaki head that stays afloat on top of a pitch black body. Smells of subtle sweet bourbon notes, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, oak, and hints of booze.

The taste brings on lots of fresh roasted coffee beans, followed by subtle bourbon notes and the classic rich sweet dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla perfection. Pretty mind-blowing.

Incredibly smooth, creamy mouthfeel, and a little warming effect on the finish. Heavy bodied but not too overpowering. This is a magical brew at room temperature. World Class.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured a 2010 bottle into my bruery tulip. Dark black with a 1finger mocha head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing that clings to the glass like its glue. Aroma is coffee malt and light bourbon. I thought coffee fades out of beers quickly, I guess the coffee in KBS doesn't follow the rules. Man this beer tastes smooth, it follows the nose but is more balanced with a year on it, less hot and booze. I like it fresh but I love it with a year on it. Fantastic brew!

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

I've had this one both on tap and bottled, don't really prefer it one way or the other, it's fantastic either way. But for the review I'll take from my notes at The P.O.P.E during Philly Beer Week '12

Poured very dark to a wine glass, a fingers width of tan head slowly dissipates. Smell is slight bourbon, Some roasted coffee, and Vanilla. Taste is great, so well balanced and delicious. Vanilla, caramel, bourbon, oak, chocolate and coffee.. Everything you think you'll taste, you will taste. Super easy to drink with a rich coating mouth feel. Looking forward to trying a couple aged variants in the coming months.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

After numerous phone calls and a bunch of stops at different bottle shops, I slowly pour into a snifter. Black as night color, giving way to chocolaty head which quickly dissipates and leaves slight lacing. Aromas of chocolate, wood, bourbon, and faint malt. The taste is second to none, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak, with a cohesive coffee flavor pulling everything together. The booze is apparent but melds well with the other flavors and definitely adds to the enjoyment of this beer rather the detracting from it. Mouthfeel is exactly like I remember it to be, silky, creamy, with a touch of carbonation... Overall this is one exceptional stout and well deserving of all its accolades, I just hope I can find some more because I see myself wanting to revisit this one very soon.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Thick black appearance with a nice brown head that quickly goes down.

S- Chocolate and bourbon are pretty strong, along with some vanilla and toffee

M- Smooth, almost silky.

O- An incredible beer. Very drinkable for such high alcohol percent. Very rarely do I think the beer justifies the hype. This is one of those time.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Black, black and black. Nice mocha head that hangs around for a bit. At first I didn't think any would appear during the pour, but out of the depth, it began to rise! Sticky lacings left behind.

S: You can smell this bad as soon as you crack the bottle. Lushes chocolate, lots of sweet bourbon, coffee, and vanilla. Even a little bit of oak in there as well. Heaven.

T: Lots of roasted coffee. Vvanillia, and chocolate, with the bourbon makes its appearance shortly after, all coming together for just one kick ass tasting beer. The bourbon isn't too strong which help the other flavors not get lost in the mix. Would like maybe just a tab more vanillia.

You taste the alcohol, but very little burn, esp for 11%

M: For something so robust, it's comes in with a med body. Would almost like it just a bit fuller. Creamy, excellent carbonation level...very very smooth.

D: Goes down like water to me. I could kill a four pack on a good night. Great price point, IMO.

Hot damn, I love this beer. I can never get too much of this stuff.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a 16 oz snifter. Pours the most amazing black, with a half inch, of patchy head, with some spotty lacing. Smell roasted coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, and some molasses, in the nose no bourbon yet. Taste is that, extremely balanced, with a hint of the bourbon in the taste, but very well blended barrel aged stout. Body is thinner than you would expect for its size, nice amount of life for its size, a little dry, and very drinkable. This is amazing and perfect for my 200 review.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Received in a trade with tpd975. He went above and beyond on this trade and I can’t thank him enough. I was planning on saving this brew for a while longer, maybe review 150 or 200, but I decided while sitting at home by myself, watching football, that today was the day. With Founders “cryptic” dating method I’ve deduced that this beer was brewed in March (of what year is beyond me). Drank from my generic no label snifter while watching LSU (#1) vs. Kentucky (#17).

Appearance- Pours black as oil with the same consistency. Not a lot of head formed but I gave it a very gentle pour. Almost no cap but a fairly decent collar and it leaves a hell of a lot of dirty brown lacing.
Smell- Wow, as advertised. Big on the vanilla right from the start. Lot’s of roasted coffee and cream with gentle whiffs of “Kentucky”. The bourbon is a lot more mellow than I would have guessed but definitely for the better. Light notes of raw cocoa and bitter bakers chocolate round out the nose. This beer actually smells just like a vanilla Starbucks.
Taste- I’m not sure how to even begin. This is simply the most delicious brew I’ve ever tasted. I was lucky enough to have a Surly Bender last night and was blown away by how good it was. This is 10x better (I know, different styles but when something’s good, it’s good). Big roasted chocolate and caramel malts give a gentle sweetness to start that slowly gives way to the gentle “Kentucky” Bourbon. The whiskey is more than present but very subtle. Oaked vanilla and dark cherries are present along with the coffee. The espresso and vanilla are very nice but not as dominate as the nose implied. Finishes bitter with a lightly fruity aftertaste and the slightest flavor of alcohol. Considering the 10% ABV, it’s amazing how little you can taste.
Mouthfeel- Thick and velvety with a very full, creamy feel. Carbonation is very light and absolutely perfect.
Drinkability- Simply a wonderful beer. So easy to drink and silky smooth. The only thing I’d like to see slightly different would be a bit more of the bourbon. I thought the Abyss had a bit more of a whisky flavor but this is definitely a tastier brew. Do whatever you can to find this beer. It’ll be more than worth it. Thanks again to tpd975 for the opportunity to savor this delight!

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company