Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,252
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
Egan

2.25/5  rDev -51.4%

07-25-2014 02:22:24 | More by Egan
Stunner97

2.3/5  rDev -50.3%

Appearance- dark brown to black, light tan head quicly fades away, very dark no light

Smell- very strong coffee and espresso, so strong and unique
smell, some roasted malts, but mostly pure coffee more then anything else

Taste- im a blown away how strong the taste of burbon whiskey is, infact way stronger then i had been hoping or expecting when i had put off to save trying this, not well balanced nearly enough as it should have been, literally not literally hint o f burbon taste like im drinking straight burbon, way to much alcohol to call it purely enjoyable, way overated and not enjoyable, unbalanced too burbony not enough beer,

Mouthfeel- semi sweet and syrupy but nothing impressive, the body is actually very light believe it or not in a way

Drinkability- tastes way to strong of liqour, i hope my other kbs tastes way better aged big freaking let down a terrible beer as of now that tastes too much burbon to be called beer, could never drink more then even one of these overerated beers, in my opinion had much better stouts

05-04-2009 06:45:48 | More by Stunner97

kevrice88

06-09-2013 02:54:39 | More by kevrice88
BeerMeFitz

2.5/5  rDev -46%

A: Jet black and the tan heads appears and then disappears kinda like flat coke.

S: Very nice. Bourbon, booze, liquorice, vanilla, oak and light roasted notes and maybe some coffee.

T: I know this is supposedly an amazing beer but the taste is like a dirty ash tray right out the gate...with lots of boozey taste.

M: Hot. Not sweet at all, well balanced with the bitterness.

O: Incredible disappointment here...I agree with this comment "Not to say it was bad, but I was led to believe this was something mind blowing, rather it is a pedestrian BA beer, which sadly let the bourbon take over (maybe it was just this year's blend, who knows... BCBS is definitely better than this and I enjoyed Boulevard's RIS more too..."

03-21-2012 07:09:21 | More by BeerMeFitz

08-13-2014 21:36:35 | More by sjrodriguez
Fartknocker

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured from from a 12 oz bottle into a globe glass.
A- Very black and thick
S- Good combo of coffee and bourbon
T- Starts out as a combo of coffee and bourbon but quickly is overpowered by simply a bourbon flavor
M- Thick, like whole milk or cough syrup
D- one and done, maybe it's just me, but it ended up as drinking as a lightly fermented bourbon.

06-26-2009 02:17:52 | More by Fartknocker
MysterySwirl

Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -43.2%

Opening a 2009 - this beer is opaque black with little head and a strong coffee flavor. Smells charred and bitter as if they burnt the coffee before putting it into the barrel.

This one tastes more chocolate-y and bourbon like. The vanilla notes are much more muted this year than the previous years and I honestly prefer the extra vanilla's presence. Not really complex flavor but decent mouthfeel. Honestly, I enjoyed the aroma more than the taste bc I could pick out the sweet/fruit notes better that way.

This beer isn't that complex. Maybe I've been spoiled - maybe it's not aging well with the bourbon notes mellowing and bringing out the coffee... I just know that it didn't live up to my expectations.

12-08-2009 18:16:11 | More by MysterySwirl
tlsmith

2.63/5  rDev -43.2%

Missed several opportunities to get my hands on this beer. Finally found it at a new bar tonight. Ok beer. Would rather have a CBS, Founders Imperial Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Hoppin Frog Oatmeal Stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Old Rasputin, ect. KBS gets a lot of hype, but seems everyone out there is just conforming to popular opinion. Tasted like a bad bourbon. There are much more enjoyable stouts out there. Definitely did not live up to the hype.

08-06-2012 01:51:27 | More by tlsmith
liquidnoise

2.65/5  rDev -42.8%

Allow me to be the (presumably) first to say I didn't enjoy this at all. It tastes like burnt, old coffee with whiskey mixed in. I've had coffee stouts before, Schaffly's comes to mind, that I have enjoyed, and I love coffee by itself, so it's not that I just don't like the style. I made it through two bottles and opened a third just trying to enjoy it (because I paid 20 bucks for it, not because it is highly rated, I'm not that lame) and I gave up on the third one for a Budweiser I had in my fridge. Sorry if your a fanboy and I'm stepping on your toes, and you can flag this review all you want, and if they take it down I really dont care, but the truth is the truth and the truth must be known. I hope I can save others from wasting 20 bucks on this stuff.

Most DEFINATELY doesn't deserve to be the third highest rated on BA.com. And only 200 reviews are putting it up there with those legendary beers. They really need to weight the number of reviews before compiling lists like that.

BTW, if any of you Founder's fanboys live in the Peoria IL area and want the last one, email me. It's yours for free.

Oh, here's the mandatory stuff --

Served from a bottle.

Poured motor oil black, barely any head, the appearance was kind of a turnoff.

Smelled mostly of coffee.

Tasted like old, stale coffee with whiskey mixed in, and alcohol was prevalant. Taste was very disappointing.

04-27-2007 19:42:20 | More by liquidnoise
Shaon94

2.75/5  rDev -40.6%

Founders KBS is a specialty stout, not an american double / imperial, IMO. I love the normal Breakfast Stout which is in the same class as this, but this one is just ok, and really does not taste much like a beer.

Appearance - Outstanding appearance. Jet black with a amber head (very small one with a quick pour) Sticky looking lacing left behind. Think, Breakfast stout without the head.

Smell - Bourbon? Ok, I know that is the type of barrel it was aged in but wow this first bottle is overpowering me. I am sensitive to liquor smells so that is all I am getting out of this one other than maybe a slight woodsy smell some coffee in the back.

Taste - Bourbon, and damned if it is not strong on the bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle? I mean it has a hint of the Breakfast stout behind it, but it pales in comparison to the taste of the liquor. I am going to have a second one on another day before I make this my final verdict*, but I am not fond of the taste in the least. It almost tastes like they added bourbon instead of just letting it soak up the flavors naturally from the wood. *Second bottle as strong as the first. They definitely added bourbon here. I think this would be much better if they had not added and just let it natural soak it from the wood.

Mouthfeel - Makes up some ground here! The mouthfeel is good. Slight bite, but it coats well. Smooth going down, and the alcohol kicks in giving it a nice warming feeling from the gut all the way up.

Drinkability - I am not sure you would drink more than one of these in a session unless you just really like the taste of bourbon, or just wanted to get drunk quick. But really if your looking to just get drunk there are a lot of other cheaper beers that will do it for you. I would not go out of my way to get this one again, but it is good for what it is I guess.

In conclusion, it looks nice, but smells like liquor and tastes like liquor.

06-19-2009 15:00:14 | More by Shaon94