Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 3,243
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) Alström Bros
parrotheadcubs

2.75/5  rDev -40.6%

07-07-2014 19:08:14 | More by parrotheadcubs
dnrobert24

Alabama

2.83/5  rDev -38.9%

KBS. The notes on BA say this is NOT a barrel-aged version of the breakfast stout. Too bad. I love their breakfast stout. This? Not so much. It pours oily black with minimal tan lacing. No head, really, but none is expected. The first pour stirs up fresh coffee beans and toasty-smoky malts. It is very inviting. Later on, aromas of chocolate and dark fruits emerge. Finally, I start to smell the vanilla. I am encouraged to dive into this beer. But...I am amazed at the disconnect to the taste. There is a bitter sourness that permeates each drink, like I am licking an oak cube. There is a mysterious bitterness that keeps butting in. I keep looking for flavors in the glass and end up furrowing my eyebrows in disappointment. A hot alcohol burn ends up carrying the day. It reminds me of 100 proof cherry brandy. Think of chocolate covered cherries with a grain alcohol center and you get what I'm tasting. Yeah, I like chocolate, and I like cherries, but c'mon, this is too much. Maybe some time in the cellar will do this some good.

08-04-2011 02:03:32 | More by dnrobert24
Murchmac

2.88/5  rDev -37.8%

Thanks to Jw347 for this brew.

Before pouring this one you can already smell the coffee, which makes way for the bourbon. Some chocolate thrown in.

Looks a dark brown not much of a head for me.

Hops, coffee, bourbon, in that order. The bourbon is too strong for me. Its not a beer anymore. Its a bourbon with brewers yeasts.

Lingering bourbon aftertaste. Warms your cockels.

Great if you love bourbon, I dont like it though. Maybe aged it would be better. For me this beer was like the rape scene in deliverance, some people think its a classic, for me it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

07-21-2008 04:55:30 | More by Murchmac
nkersten

2.93/5  rDev -36.7%

2011 bottle poured into nonic. Color is black with brown edges, a bit light in color compared to most double stouts, and a tiny mocha collar. Smells strongly of oak and bourbon, chocolate, some vanilla, some coffee and a bit of alcohol. Taste is mostly oak and bourbon, some chocolate and coffee, roasted malts, light alcohol, very little hop presence, an unfortunate old cardboard taste in there as well. Harsh oak in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery for the style with a low carbonation. I know people love this beer, but i think it is average at best and would prefer many other stouts, especially at the price.

04-02-2011 00:31:53 | More by nkersten
jimbomill

2.98/5  rDev -35.6%

KBS was another member of Capone's super Black Friday lineup. Unfortunately, perhaps the sixtel was off.
Appearance was brown - not the near black that was to be expected. The nose was acidic, not floral and creamy. Taste was thin, could this have gotten watered down? Mouthfeel was blah. Drinkability gets punted under these conditions. Normally, I'd be rating this (if I had been taking notes) in the mid-to-high 4's. Yesterday's edition was abnormal.

Fortunately for me, Matt had many other top notch offerings that did not disappoint!

11-27-2010 20:10:28 | More by jimbomill
Devi0us

2.98/5  rDev -35.6%

Let me start off by saying "Letdown"...had this as part of our Blind Epic Beer Tasting Event and it took a unaminous LAST Place overall. List included 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, 2011 KBS, 2011 Hunahpu, 2010 Abyss.

A- Pours pitch black like old motor oil with a minimal tan head that disappears rather quickly. Very thick with decent carbonation.

S- This is where it got me. Had a very Musty smell to it. I've smelled plenty of barrel aged brews and this smell is one that I was not familiar with.

T- Taste was bland and left a dry mouthfeel for me but got a little better as it warmed up. Did not expect it to be this bland. Alcohol was undetectable and very well hidden.

M- Mouthfeel is dry and bland. Light carbonation.

O- Overall, this was the biggest disappointment of the day. I had a hard time finishing this brew. A bad batch perhaps? Trying this brew again is a MUST. With all the hype surrounding this beer, it has to be better. This was the hardest beer to obtain and was the biggest letdown. As of this review, I have two 4-pack for trade.

05-16-2011 23:01:25 | More by Devi0us

chadman7il

05-30-2012 01:30:41 | More by chadman7il
CarlosDanger

Taste is subjective.

I just don't get this one.

Perhaps it's the limited availability, the price, the cult (sort-of) following, or perhaps this style of beer just isn't my cup of tea, but I just couldn't get myself to enjoy it.

Appearance was dark, Coca-cola-like, and the head was caramel in color. I wouldn't classify it as beautiful but certainly not offensive.

I'm going to address taste and mouthfeel together: syrupy, sweet, boozy. Again, it wasn't offensive, and as I've said in other reviews I'm a newbie, but I just don't understand how anyone can drink more than a few sips of this beer. I could see it being awesome in a flight. Or poured over vanilla ice cream?

I think taste and experience and all those things associated with them are a collective, subjective experience. In KBS's defense the hype surrounding this beer is off the charts. People posting photos of themselves with KBS bottles as if they were holding the holy grail. And if this style of beer is your bag, then by all means, go for it.

I also think value comes into play as well. When I got my bottle at the beer distributor, they only had one left. It was like $12! I was prepared to buy two 4-packs because of the hype. I am so glad they were out, because it would have been a tremendous waste of money (for me.)

08-01-2013 14:56:26 | More by CarlosDanger