Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,184
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,776 | Hads: 10,597
4.35/5  rDev -4.4%

Rec'd in a trade with imperialking. Thank you so much for the opportunity to try this BA top ten selection!

Appearance: Dark brown with a deep mocha 2 finger foam head. Little head retention but some lacing.

Smell: Fairly complex yet I can tell all of these wonderful notes will come together superbly with time. A touch of alcohol, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, etc.

Taste: Vanilla up front, giving way to coffee then chocolate, finished with a touch of hops and alcohol. Not boozy or really hot but a touch warm I'd say.

Mouthfeel: thinner than I expected....medium to med-full bodied.

Drinkability: Good considering its 10% abv and medium to med-heavy body.

This is a fantastic brew but as a friend told me, I suspect it will only get better with 1-2 years on it. (786 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.
Appearance: I don't think even Superman could see through this stuff! you basically just see your reflection in the glass. Darkest brown/black. Head is a deep brown turning to lighter as it settles down
Smell: Straight bittersweet chocolate smell, followed by bourbon, coffee, and alcohol
Taste: I keep reading complex from others but for me it really is just the chocolate, bourbon, and coffee I taste. Very pleasant though! Taste lingers in the mouth for a long time
Mouthfeel: Not as heavy as I would have expected. I liked it though
Drinkability: Definitely drinkable, but not something you can drink mulitple glasses of. You'd be drunk and broke in a short period of time! (711 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

I tasted this beer for the first time this past Thursday while waiting for a take-out order to be filled at Sunset Grill & Tap. I poured the beer into a medium snifter/tulip shaped glass which was the perfect size. The temperature was a bit too cold so I planned on letting it sit and or warming with my hands for a bit. I tried to achieve a modest head but couldn't get anything significant, perhaps by design as this is not intended for this type of beer or particular Imperial Stout (A=4.5).

Not much in the way of aroma, perhaps an actual snifter as opposed to the tulip shaped rim would have concentrated the aroma more acutely (S=4.5).

Taste was incredible. Complex, dynamic and rich. Espresso, bourbon, dark chocolate and oak on the palate. Perfect amount of bite on the finish which was extremely long (T=5.0).

Mouthfeel was perfectly thick and velvety; coated the whole palate (M=5.0).

With such a high ABV (11.2) this beer drank incredibly smooth. I had to try very hard to drink slowly as I was so enamored with the depth of flavors and mouthfeel (D=5.0).

Overall, one of the finest, if not the finest beers I've ever had. (1,139 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: dark brown in color with a short 1/2" tan colored head that breaks down quickly. Some spots of lace stick to the glass during the session.

Smell: loads of roasted malts, vanilla, dark chocolate, and some softer espresso tones leap from the glass into the nose.

Taste: roasted malts, big vanilla flavor, dark chocolate, prunes, hints of bourbon, and a nice bitterness. Alcohol is mildly noticeable. Superbly balanced flavors here.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Smooth and thick feeling throughout. Long aftertaste as the flavors stick to the tongue and last awhile.

Drinkability: this beer goes down really smooth, but at the high alcohol levels it limits you in a session. But this is a treat that should be enjoyed slowly. The high cost will also limit your intake, but it is worth the money for this beer. (826 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +8.1%

Wow, haven't had this in about two years and it's as great as I remember it! Obtained a couple bottles in a trade with Yetiman420...latest batch Bottled: 02/17/09. Thanks a bunch Chris!

It pours a dark ass reddish-brown with a small cocoa colored 1/4" foamy cap. The head dies quickly leaving only the dark liquid behind. And a ton of aroma...yeah, thick, rich chunky coffee and alot more. Beautiful fresh black roasty coffee with notes of caramel, bourbon, dark sweet chocolate and a nice backing of 11.2% ABV. Smells very sweet and roasty, pungent and potent...awesome aroma.

The flavor is unsurpassed...exactly as it smells...rich, roasty and strong with perfect balance. Super sweet in the start and ultra bitter in the finish. It's hard to believe there is only 70 IBU's here...seems more like 120, some serious bitterness in the end. Man do I love the taste of this big ass brew. This is what I was looking for when first tasted DarkLord and the Abyss...this one wins hands down.

Big and rich in the mouth, full of body yet spirit like with it's high alcohol. The bitterness lingers and the warmness grows long after the swallow. Supremely drinkable...possibly the best bourbon BA Imperial Stout ever. I even prefer it to the also great GI BCS. A must try if this is your style preference. I want more! (1,311 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A = I think this is the stuff that pours out of my Nissan when I pull out the oil drain bolt. Thin brown head dies quick, little lacing.

S = Smell of bourbon dominant for me. Coffee in the background.

T = Bourbon dominant more for me than some other reviews here. Coffee up front and the bourbon sweetness takes over. Very intense bourbon and sugary sweetness. Alcohol is pretty pronounced toward the end. I think this would flourish under a year's cellaring. A bit rough and raw right now. A year would likely bump this to a 5. My other bottle is going into the cellar for sure.

M = Huge mouthfeel here. Thick and sticky sweet. It gets all over you and never lets go. Very intense.

D = This can't possibly be considered drinkable. Mega sweet and boozy, a slow sipper for sure. More than one of these would put me down for the count and leave my mouth numb.

Overall, I have to say I enjoyed the regular breakfast stout a bit better, probably because it was more easily enjoyable. However, I appreciate this creation and look forward to an aged taste. This is one intense beer. (1,083 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to ralflord for the trade!

Poured from one of the "old" bottles, with the name all spelled out, into a standard pint glass. Nice thick black presentation with a very thin head of cocoa brown. No highlights except for around the rim.

Smell is goood! The bourbon is up front, but not overpowering. One of the subtler bourbon scents I've had in a bourbon-barrel stout. Maple syrup, coffee, chocolate & vanilla -- it's all in there.

The taste is right in hand with the aroma, though I'd say the bourbon is even a little more "subdued" (speaking relatively here, folks). The coffee flavors are more prominent, roasty & dark, with an increasing alcohol presence. Lately I'm starting to notice a "crayon" taste in coffee stouts, which is definitely showing up here.

Mouthfeel is thick & satisfying, like a drink of boozy brownie. As strong as this is, it's relatively low ABV for a bourbon-barrel stout, & I think I could down two of these in a relaxed, stretched out evening. Dunno if it's the novelty of the style, but I love me some bourbon-barrel stouts! I would put this just behind GIBCS, & this one leads in drinkability. (1,133 characters)

I almost don't want to write this review since it will break the 666 number of reviews. There's a reason why this beer seems to be advocated by satan. This is the kind of stuff people leave their families for. My buddy and I accidently stumbled on it in Weymouth, MA after looking for the stuff for weeks. It did not disappoint. It pours like crude oil and has a very warm and inviting smell. The complexity of this beer is through the roof. The bourbon barrels give it a beautiful vanilla taste that's mixed with coffee and chocolate. Although it's thicker than the regular breakfast stout, somehow it's smoother and has a mellow but lingering aftertaste. It's really amazing how this beer can be so mellow and subtle, yet so bold at the same time. I only hope I can find more of this stuff. The ABV was 11.3%, not 10% (819 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -8.8%

12 ounce poured into a KBS snifter.

A - Poured opaque black, with a very wispy mocha head. Finished as a ring around, with a little lacing.

S - Intense coffee smell with a slight bourbon smell slipped in.

T - Very intense coffee flavor, with hints of bourbon to finish.

M - Thick and mouthcoating.

D - A sipper. (316 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle into snifter. Thanks to Dev (buckeyesox) for this one!

Pours the obligatory opaque black with some spotty lacing on the side of the glass from the pour. No noticeable head. Sticky, but not particularly viscous.

Nose is interesting - big espresso, brown sugar, light vanilla and bourbon, some baker's chocolate down deep. Espresso is the foundation that everything else seems to wrap around, the rest of the aromas are complementary. Just a bit boozey and rough around the edges. Really nice, like a super dark bourbon-fudge cake soaked in espresso.

Taste also orients itself around the dark espresso note in the center. A bit boozey up front, with notes of bourbon, vanilla, cocoa, and brown sugar wrapping around the espresso core; both the espresso and the bourbon seem to have a rough edge to them. Some alcohol bite at the back of the throat. A nice beer, but definitely feels a bit young and green at this point. Could use a bit of time to mature.

Mouthfeel is thick, very lightly carbonated, and with noticable prickliness from the alcohol.

For what it is, it's nicely drinkable. Still, would take the right set of circumstances to really want to down more than one of these giants. (1,202 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +5.9%

When I cracked open the beer, I instantly thought it smelled like Founders breakfast stout with a tad bit of bourbon behind it, so that means, it's fucking awesome. The oak, bourbon flavour comes through in the background with a hint of alcohol as well. A chocolate flavour comes through the nose at the end, which is quite pleasing. The nose is simply ace. The colour is black as pitch, with a decent sized brown/tan head, that dissipates fairly quickly. I'd say, the only down fall with this beer and the breakfast stout is the head because I want it to stick around longer.

When drinking this beer, all I can think is, "wow!" This is truly and utterly the most tasty beer I've ever had. The coffee bitterness comes through initially, but a huge beautiful dark chocolate flavour shines through at the end. Somewhere in the middle the bourbon flavour mingles, making the two flavours that much better. There is such a great balance to the beer, that all I can do sit back, sip and smile. There is a tad bit of alcohol that comes through, but that is to be expected with an 11% beer.

The mouthfeel on the beer is thick like motor oil, but this adds to the chocolate flavour that lingers in your mouth. This is a beer that can be sipped on all night long, mainly because the flavour is so balanced. Best beer I've had to date. (1,328 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to prototypic for this, one hell of an "extra"

A- Viscous opaque black, thin wispy head went away as fast as it appeared.

S- Lots of chocolate and coffee aromas. Very powerful and assertive.

T- Alot of the harsh aromas in the nose mellow out in the taste. The chocolate and malt flavors are generaly dominate, but coffee is evident as well. The bourbon sneaks in the suprisingly light and smooth finish.

M- Wonderfully thick and viscous.

D- Disspite the strength this goes down without a fight.

A fantastic stout by any measure. It is even more enjoyable if you love coffee. Personally it falls a little short of the hype. Still worth doing what you can to get your hands on some. (693 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%

Well, I must say that I got sticker shock when I picked up the 4 pack of this stuff today. Party Source in Bellview, KY: 4 pack of 12 oz bottles: $23.95! OUCH! But, you only go around once in this life so....

I poured the contents into my trusty pint glass. I noticed right away that it would take a rough pour to produce any head.... so I raised the bottle up and was gratified with a healthy inch of tight tan foam. The beer was as black as the night and you couldn't even see through it when held to a bright light source. The head slowly dwindled down to a thick cap over time, but left healthy stickage down the side of the glass as I drank.

The smell was very apparent and nice! Lot's of coffee, bourbon, chocolate all swirling around.... very nice!

The taste: Very surprising.... I could definately pick up on the bourbon barrel aging.... big bourbon taste right up front. But, the taste was quickly tempered by some nice rich coffee and sweet roasted malty taste.

Mouthfeel: Here is where this beer excels. This is a thick, chewey beer.... just like I like it. Gotta give it a "5".

Drinkability: This is definately a sipper.... but ya gotta try this stuff.... just bite the bullet and go for it. (Was I ripped off at 6 bucks a bottle?). I at least had to do it once. I probably won't beat a path to the beer store to pay $6 a bottle again.... but I HAD TO TRY IT. I was glad I did. (1,394 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Not caramelly. Not hugely bodied. Very strong, stiff bourbon + fresh roasted coffee aroma, which mostly obscures the roasted fruit flavors. Not excessively boozey. Finish is a wonderful bourbon/coffee melange. Very little hop presence.

My guess is that there was some bourbon left in the barrels when the beer was racked into them. Otherwise, I don't see how you get this much bourbon flavor in the beer. (406 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours thick black, very heavy, no light. Almost no head whatsoever with just a thin edging giving hint to dark caramel carbonation.

Big, boozy coffee, chocolate, vanilla nose. Hints of spicy licorice and bitter-sweet roasted malt. Huge. Alcohol dominates and wraps all the intense flavors underneath one blanket.

Big roasty and chocolately sweet up front, followed by bruising alcohol and hop presence. Finishes with a vanilla breath, licorice aftertaste. Big bodied, huge, with nice round feeling

An understatement to call it a sipper, but really nice over a good long session. (581 characters)

Great vanilla aromas up front with a bit more forward hops this year, but still the warm malty end taste. Just as smooth as always, and more complex than the standard Breakfast Stout. There is a depth to this beer beyond just the Barrel aging. Definitely more bold Whiskey than other aged beers and yet very subtle alcohol.

I had this on tap once again at Founders and was offered a sample of the Canadian Breakfast Stout, aged in Maple Syrup Barrels, and found it to be a great twist on the KBS, though a bit sweeter. Still the best beer in the world, KBS is progressively becoming even better. (597 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Love the twist top.

Pours black with a very thin brown chocolate head. "Motor oil" and "ink" get thrown around too much when describing viscous, black beers, but it's appropriate to do so here.

Ground coffee in the nose. Subtle hints of oak and bourbon. I was worried the nose may be dominated by booze, but it's not even close. Very nice.

Wow, this tastes great. I'm not a coffee guy, and even I love the taste of KBS. Roasted malt, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate take the early lead. I really like the oak underneath the other flavors. The bourbon is delicious, and not at all overpowering. Great finish. No hot boozy feel in the mouth, either.

The only hint of alcohol I really get is the nice warming sensation. Full body. Really coats the mouth nicely. I wrote in another review that a particular beer coated the mouth like a tasty cough syrup. This is the same. Just a great feel.

This is a really fantastic beer. I'm glad I was able to try it. That said, one is enough. It's delicious, but it's definitely a slow sipper, and the ABV will keep me from over-indulging. Hopefully I'm able to buy another single or two to share with friends, because, unfortunately, the $20 price tag on a four pack is almost out of the question after already buying three of them. (1,321 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -26.8%

I had my brother pick up a four pack at Whole Foods in Ann Arbor and Fed Ex it too me. I was very excited to try this beer. Unfortunately it did not live up to the hype. I'm not saying this is a terrible beer, but I just don't think its as good as advertised. I tasted the bourbon, vanilla, and coffee. The mixture just tasted a bit off to me. I"ll take a Bells Expedition Stout or an Old Rasputin any day over this beer. (421 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

This is the first beer I've ever taken the time to write about. It truely is quite an impressive brew.

I won't follow the format the I usually read ( although I like)

I will simply say that my morning coffee does not taste the same after I have tasted this beer. I now taste hints of KBS in my morning coffee and would like to replace with a KBS :-) Wow! Vinalla, Chocolate, Coffee, Bourbon mixed to sweet perfection.

If the opportunity allows you...it is worth the price and effort! (486 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -4.4%

Got a single 12 oz bottle of this at La Ca Du Vin recently. Paid $5.00+ for it, which is more than I am usually willing to shell out for a single 12 oz bottle of beer. Recommended to me by a good friend. Poured into my new Stone imperial pint glass. This beer is a very dark brown color. The tan brown head is about 2/3 inch when poured. Settles to a decent surface coating with a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Good lacing. Aromas of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and coffee are very nice indeed! Flavors of vanilla, caramel and chocolate upfront, followed by roasted malt and bitter coffee, and a bit of bourbon. The sweeter flavors do tend to come about more. Very good! Has a very smooth, creamy, slightly crisp, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink especially as it starts to warm up. Wow! I have to admit I was quite impressed. Better than I expected as I have thoughts that a lot of Founders beers are overhyped, still good, but overhyped. This one lived up to the hype. One of the smoothest beers I have ever had.

Eric (1,074 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -2%

Poured into my trusty Unibroue tulip glass in the low 40's.

Black. Thin chocolate milk head with irregularly sized bubbles - larger ones toward the side of the glass.

Aroma is mostly coffee grinds with a punch from either bourbon or alcohol or perhaps the combination of both.

Follow up sniffing reveals a bit more roasted malt and some chocolate.

First sip. Damn it's good. Thick, full, and chewy and incredibly well balanced. For 10% there is a moderate touch of heat on the finish. Nothing major and a great reason to taste this over time.

Exceptional mouthfeel (5) - in fact, on it's own, this stands as an incredibly noteworthy beer for this aspect.

This is the fourth time I've had this beer in the past year and I'm consistent impressed (including nitro tap at the brewery). (792 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Excited to find a bottle at Brixies!

Due to rarity and hype, I thought KBS would be comparable to FFFs Dark Lord. I was way wrong. This is much more delicate (whereas the latter is brutually massive).

Flashback: On cool winter nights, I like to enjoy a glass of hot chocolate with a couple of shots of Irish Whiskey while watching a bad DVD rental. KBS reminded me a lot of those evenings. The best way to describe it would be as follows: 1) go to Starbucks and buy a mocha latte 2) add an extra shot of espresso 3) add too much extra chocolate syrup 4) put it in the fridge until its cold 5) toss in a shot or two of bourbon. Congratulations, you've just created a glass of Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

KBS is a little weak on the nose, a light aroma of bourbon is to be expected, but there is not much more than that. It is surprisingly drinkable - no need to share it with a friend - you'll want to hog it all to yourself anyway. It is not so much a "beer" as it is a "dessert drink". I could sip on this any night of the week, after a full meal, and feel full and content.

Bottom line: KBS is a fine dessert beverage that I, personally, won't soon part with $10 to try again (not in the near future anyway). I do look forward to trying this when it is tapped at Bavarian Lodge.

Now excuse me while I head over to Applebee's and order a mudslide. (1,361 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +5.3%

2009 bottle poured into a Chimay snifter. Pours rich dark color with no head. The smell is full of fresh ground coffee, nice and aromatic. The taste is like no other, best way I can describe it is take a mild IPA, and mix it with an iced coffee, with a smoked wood overtone. This beer is so thick you can nearly chew it. Drinkability is not exceptional for one reason, high ABV and smooth taste, can be a dangerous combination. (427 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -26.8%

Bottle from last year's release, so just a little over a year old.

Appearance: Like motor oil, I put it directly next to a light bulb and nothing got through my snifter. Nice coffee foam, almost no lacing.

Smell: Mostly old coffee and lots of dark malts, barely any bourbon, I wish it was the other way around. It is actually more alcohol than bourbon - barely any of the molasses, vanilla, etc I would like to smell.

Taste: Old coffee, lots of licorice, soot, charcoal, dark malts, fudge, blackstrap molasses, and hardly any bourbon. Something burnt. I really don't get the reviews saying the alcohol is concealed - on both the aroma and taste I get raw, pure alcohol smacking my nose and tongue like a 2x4. Let me clarify that is alcohol, not bourbon I taste.

Mouthfeel: A little grainy, I couldn't help but think of sand or used coffee grits.

Drinkability: Definitely a sipper, the coffee and raw alcohol are overpowering. (931 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

I think I can honestly say that this is my favorite stout ever. I've got to give a BIG shout to rockstarnati who traded this to me...as an EXTRA! Thanks a million, dude.

Appearance: Poured into my DFH snifter. After bringing the pour a literal FOOT high from the glass, there was a milk chocolate-brown 1/2 finger head. I swear, this stuff would look like a tiny dark spot against the backdrop of space. Light simply does dot penetrate into this beer.

Smell: I work at a coffee chain and have to smell coffee at its freshest and at its most stale states. I'm not easily impressed by coffee-infused stouts. Really only Peche Mortel has knocked my socks off in that regard. Well, it's been dethroned. There's a sublime aroma of chocolatey coffee beans here, with a nice oak underbelly and the slightest hint of bourbon. I'm salivating.

Taste: The perfection of the balance among the flavors and body is impressive, to say the very least. The roasted malt and coffee notes hit immediately, but very quickly open up to reveal deep, semisweet chocolate and oak flavors. The bourbon is still only a pleasant hint, and it hits closer to the finish and in the aftertaste. I'm in love.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, in the most beautiful way. My mouth almost feels coated with a film from all this mature malt. The carbonation is extremely low but it seems better for that. There's no cloying sweetness, but the semisweet chocolate notes do make my sweet-sensitive taste buds perk up a little. There is very little alcohol fuming in the finish, which is amazing considering the 11.2% ABV and the bourbon remnants.

Drinkability: This is surely a "sip slowly and savor the hell out of it" beer. For stout lovers, this is that dusty little wooden cup hidden among all the jeweled chalices. Shamelessly drinkable. Just watch yourself, or you will get sucked into the black hole of intoxication. Which is probably almost as dark as this beer. (1,933 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company