Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,274
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,803 | Hads: 10,803
4.37/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a dark dark brown with moderate tan head. Smells strongly of tobacco, bourbon, coffee, chocolate. Tastes as it smells--hard to describe what tobacco tastes like, but mix that with some bourbon, coffee, chocolate, molasses, malt, and I don't know what else, and you've got this beer. Not one you'd drink a lot of, this is more of a sipping beer, but it's a truly great one.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Pours a thick solid black with a thin off white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the coffee as would be expected. I also get some chocolate, tobacco, ash, and dried fruits. Complex aroma really, but heavy coffee. Taste hits with roast then chocolate, and then comes the coffee on the attack. Finish with some vanilla, and some bourbon that is oh so subtle. Awesome complexity!! Creamy full bodied mouthfeel. Excellant brew, I wish it was more available! Another well done brew from founders.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

That is one hell of an aroma. Beautiful rich espresso riding on luscious dark chocolate. Hints of dark fruits hide in the background. Taste the beer? But I'm having so much fun smelling it..

Well, that taste lives up to the hype. That same decadent espresso wrapped in dark chocolate hits you up front. The coffee, thankfully, never gets to be bitter or astringent as can happen with coffee beers. Tasty, funky dark fruits play a much stronger role in the taste. Alcohol is present but not unwelcome. Slightly bitter hoppy finish.

After getting used to the flavors a bit more, I am slightly less impressed. Still very good, but some of the flavors clash just slightly.

Mouthfeel is overall quite good.

Drinkability is very good.

Highly recommended. Definitely one of the better imperial stouts out there.

4.66/5  rDev +2.2%

Black as old motor oil with a dark mocha head that disappears as fast as it is poured.

Smell is a heavy hit of bourbon, coffee, and bittersweat chocolate. Each of these alone would be overpowering on thier own, but balanced with each other they blend in some super group harmony like none other.

Taste is just plain intense. The very definintion of Imperial. Bourbon, coffee, chocolate, and dark roasted malt bring a flavor that I can only sip. Very powerful, but very good. Alcohol is there, but it is not a factor in the drinkablity. The flavors are just so strong that you would be a fool to take more than a tounge coating. Thick and viscois, but not sticky. The flavors just soak in on the palate.

This is a one and done treat. I am glad his does not come in a bomber because it be to hard to drink in one sitting. Excellent beer that brings a world class flavor. I'm not going to say this is my favorite beer, but it is a pleasure to drink.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Got a couple of these in various trades.

As I start to pour it I am shocked at how black it is. One if the darkest brews I have seen. No head at all so I pour slightly harder and still nothing.

Smell is amazing. Straight strong burbon and bitter chocolate with alot of charred wood. It smells amazing.

Wow. Awesome taste. Tastes just as it smells. The oak woody flavour is strong with the chocolate and burbon as well. Some vanilla notes as well. You can barely taste the alcohol but after a few sips it warms you chest up alot.

Mouthfeel is great. Smooth and crisp at the end with the wood dominating.

This beer is intense and I can finish a whole one for sure but another right after? I think not...

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Founders KBS is completely impenetrable by light, even when held directly up to the source. The body is midnight black. Unlike the regular Breakfast Stout, which has a clear brown hue on its edges, this has a distinct maroon tinge. No head and only a slim lining along its outer rim.

The aroma is no one thing; elements of bourbon, chocolate, oak, and coffee are all seamlessly blended together. It smells like charred/roasted wood with accompanying hints of dark chocolate truffles, bitter cocoa, and freshly crushed coffee beans.

The oak is ever present in the mouthfeel - incredibly so - evoking a true sensation of wood on palate. You not only taste, but even more so feel, as much (if not more) oak as you do bourbon. It is quite drying on the palate.

Not to say the bourbon isn't present - oh, it is - and you are reminded with each sip, and also for a long, soothing period after each sip. The bourbon might seem initially faint in taste, but compounds, by the second, until eventually it is resounding through the mouth and crawling through every part of the palate.

With it, of course, comes the taste of bourbon, which lends just a pinch of vanilla to compete alongside flavours of heavily roasted malts, burnt caramel, bitter coffee beans, and dark, dark, (really, really dark) chocolate.

The alcohol in this one is sneaky - you know it's there somewhere but it never lets itself be known. Make no mistake - the drink is strong. But while at times I felt it raising my eyebrows, or opening my nostrils, and certainly, by the end, slowing my blood rate and lightening my head, I never could catch it in the act.

In all honesty, I found this a little raw and certainly a little stiff, but I won't argue about it - this beer is certainly one for the senses! As any caricatured French chef would smack their lips, extend their fingers and proudly proclaim: magnifique! ..

I owe a big thanks to a great pal, SkinnyElvis, for this taste of Blue Grass Breakfast!

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

A : Pours a dark brown/black with a thin tan head that sticks around for a while. Good lacing left on the glass

S : Roasted malts, some bourbon, some vanilla

T : Strong coffee flavor with notes of chocolate, bourbon, and oak. The flavors go together really well and it's really balanced.

M : Thick and creamy

D : Not sure if I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a time but I would come back to this beer any chance I get.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from bottle into glass beer mug at about 55F. Stouts deserved to be served at around room to cellar temp (55-65) for best effect.

Appearance - Dark Chocolate Brown, nearly black, with light but full carbonation, a creamy 1 finger tan head that lasts several minutes. I want to drink this before the head settles.

Smell - Smokey roasty malts, sweet chocolaty, and caramelly. I want to drink this immediately!

Taste - DARK CHOCOLATE! This is like drinking a candy bar. Not a lot of complexity here, overpowering chocolate with a strong backup of bourbon. can totally taste the 10% ABV, but it's subdued, mellow and not overpowering, probably owing to the bourbon flavoring. A little bit of a smokey finish which is very nice and makes me want to immediately take another swig. I absolutely LOVE dark chocolate, this instantly became one of my favorite beers ever.

Mouthfeel - A nice heavy, but smooth mouthfeel. Carbonation is just right and the immense flavor is intensified with a little time in the mouth. I love stouts and this is right up there with the best of them.

Drinkability - I could drink a 4-pack of these, if the 10% alcohol content didn't knock me unconscious first. This stuff not only tastes great but it packs a wallop. I can see why those who can obtain it not only hoarde it, but are only willing to trade limited quanities. I managed to get four through TWO trades, but I already want more.

Verdict - If you like stout, and/or you like dark chocolate, don't waste any time seeking this out. This is an amazing beer, a classic.
I would put this above Abyss, and even above Speedway in my tastings. Though Abyss should age the best and Speedway would be enjoyed more by those who prefer coffee to chocolate. I am still awaiting specimens of DL, Darkness and KtG.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

acquired in trade from akorsak, thanks man.

A- Pour was a very thick black stream of goodness. The semi aggressive pour developed a nice two finger head with lacing that seemed to go from light to dark tan the closer it got to the beer. A nice slick of head remained to grace the top of the beer.

S- The smell of bourbon is very there. The sweet vanilla sent as well as nice oaky earthy smell. Almost like a dusty wood shop.

T- The smell is sweet, yet there is a nice bitterness. The aftertaste is a bit on the dry side, which is good it makes me want more. The presence of the 10% abv is there the entire way down. The alcohol seems to play peek-a-boo with the taste buds.

M- Nice smooth and easy to drink. It is very tasty.

D- Easy to drink, almost too easy. I'm getting a nice buzz while drinking it. Very delish.

3.87/5  rDev -15.1%

Big shout out to "Med" for sending me this bottle. Blacker than your average imperial stout - barely any light at the edges. There was a minimal tan head, perhaps due to its age (I am uncertain of its age) because I am sure my brandy snifter is "beer clean." The aroma is utterly beguiling. An amazing balance of coffee, vanilla, cocoa, milk duds, bourbon and that decades of candy and soda smell from old 7-11's, Highs, or the candy aisle in an old drug store. Also a hint of suburban decaying strip-mall hair/ nail salon with the chocolate/ candy store next door from the 80's. All in balance. I have been sitting here for ten minutes just smelling the damn thing. Flavor is all of the above with the addition of a High's blue Slushie and boozy alcohol. The bourbon/vanilla/ chocolate factor is very forward, and I'm afraid the strong alcohol presence lifts the flavors up a little out of balance and becomes somewhat harsh. Full body with a hot boozy and acidic finish that brings back some bourbon and vanilla notes. Objectively I will say that this is a must have for imperial/ coffee stout fans, though on drinkability I must go low, because I am not going to finish this thing. But damn its good to finally have one.

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip with an almost two-finger thick, cocoa stained, dark tan colored head. The beer is a thick black color that shows no light through it. Ample roasted grain notes of black coffee and charcoal are joined by a sort of chalky note that is almost musty (though not quite). Dark chocolate aromas couple with a rich nuttiness and a solid toasted bread crust note are found just behind the huge coffee character that even provides a touch of tartness to the aroma. Despite being such a huge stout, this actually seems to be dominated by the coffee aromatics, though it is offset at times by the nice chocolate aromatics. I don't really get much in the way of Bourbon character in the aroma, which is actually a promising sign for me.

Thick and chewy up front, yet with such a huge roast malt and coffee character that it never becomes overly sweet. The beer finishes with a hit of Bourbon barrel flavors that provide a touch of vanilla and a deep buttery note that lingers for quite some time in the finish. Up front rich chocolate notes are quite noticeable (providing some balance to the roast character), these notes stick around some times through to the finish, where the Bourbon dominates, and are joined by a deep, toasted, nutty flavor. After the first sip, that initial wave of strong Bourbon notes seems to die down some; likely my palate just got used to it, but it becomes much more in balance with the rest of the beer. This definitely has a touch of tartness to it that is a result of both the ample burnt / roast notes (both coffee and grain) as well as some of the Bourbon influence. The finish also has a touch of hot Bourbon alcohol to it that is noticeable more as an aromatic oral nasal thing, but definitely makes me feel like I am exhaling alcohol.

At times a certain fruit character is noticeable that makes me think of sour prunes, figs and raisins; all of which have been left under the broiler to develop a bit of char. As the beer warms up and loses a bit of carbonation it becomes much more creamy textured and smooth, it also becomes much more mocha / chocolate flavored than it was previously, almost richly so.

I am not sure if my nose is not quite working tonight or what, but I am quite surprised how little of the Bourbon barrel influence is noticeable in the aroma. In the end the balance between roast character and smooth chocolate become really nice, the Bourbon barrel seems to meld into the background such that it supplies a nice complexity; so definitely serves this more towards 59°F / 15°C to get the best flavor balance. Much better and much more balanced than I was expecting; definitely a very good, moderate use of Bourbon Barrel character and coffee if drunk on the warm side.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Big ups to saucya for hooking me up with this brew on a trade.

A. Black with a thin tan head that has no retention or lacing at all.

S. Bourbon, chocolate and vanilla take over the smell of this brew with hints of coffee in the background.

T. From the first sip, your tastebuds are attacked with flavors of chocolate, vanilla, oak bourbon, and coffee. Chocolate and coffee are dominant at the beginning, then as it warms, the bourbon flavor start to take over. vanilla and oak remain the whole way through but never peak as dominant as the other three.

M. mouthfeel is wonderfully full and rich

D. Drinkability is amazingly smooth for a 10%er. not sure the stomach could hang with too many as it's quite filling, but I'd like to find out how many I could put down before the stomach says "no mas".

All in all this is one fantastic brew. far and away the best of the bourbon barrel aged stouts I've come across yet. I got to find a way to secure a case of this next go round.

4.19/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 05/18/08. 2008 version. Cool western-style label.

Pours pitch black with a thin layer of chocolaty brown head. The head faded quickly and left no lacing around the glass. Aromas of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla, and a slightly burnt smell to it.

Taste is very nice. A nice smooth (but not overpowering) bourbon flavor, as well as coffee, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and oak. Didn't get any coffee in the smell, but it's definitely there in the taste. Chocolate flavors are also much more pronounced. There's also a slight burnt flavor mixed in there, and some alcohol warming. It's quite sweet up front, from the bourbon aging, and very bitter in the finish. The sweetness is almost a bit overpowering, the balance needs just a bit of work.

Feel is pretty nice. Very smooth and creamy for a bourbon stout. Carbonation level is just right, it's not too thick and just a bit sticky. Drinkability is pretty good. The bitter/sweet-ness of it gets to me after awhile. And the alcohol kinda creeps up on me.

A very good bourbon stout, probably the best I've had. Though perhaps a bit more age would balance it out some more. Probably a bit over-hyped, but still very good.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Black with brown/black head that fades relatively quickly and leaves slight lacing on glass.

S: Coffee dominates with nice vanilla oak notes. Milk chocolate and espresso with a little bit of alochol

T/M: It's semi-heavy and smooth with good carbonation. Lots of coffee, though not as much as I would have thought from the nose. Fades to oaky and smoky vanilla fading to espresso bitterness with a touch of fruit in there (bourbon soaked cherries). Some spice comes in at the end along with the alochol in a very bourbouny way. Finish leaves some warmth on your throat and some sting on the tounge. Definitely well balanced. The bourbon aging in some beers tends to dominate the flavor, but while prominent, it fits in nicely here and never throwns the beer out of wack. As it warms the bourbon notes become more pronounced, and come close to overtaking the beer, but it ends up working.

D: For a 10% abv stout that's barrell aged it's quite high on the dinrkinbility.

Ovr: Really good stout. I was expecting a ton, and I don;t know that it lived up to every expectation I had, but all in all it was a really good example of a barell aged stout.

WOW! this beauty is unbelievable. Had on tap at andy's corner with fellow BA's jessecarr and jmscott.

This beer is amazing. poured into a over sized wine glass. With a nice thick chewy tan head.

It starts out with a great bourbon wood and coffee smell that is pungent and amazing. And the great smell remains in the glass well after the beer is gone.

The taste of bourbon, wood and slight coffee hit the pallet and as this brew warms the taste of coffee and chocolate start to take over. So tasty and amazing.

This beer is just outright awesome. by far one of the best beers I've gotten the pleasure to try so far. I would love to have this available all the time. If you haven't tried this puppy yet do what you can to get some of this.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks go out to bwyker for cracking this bottle open.

A: Jet black with a mocha head. One half finger to be exact. Really nice lacing.

S: The smell was simply amazing in this beer. Spiciness was there as well as fire and bourbon. Nice. coffee and vanilla were there along with a ton of roasted malt.

T: Bourbon chocolate spiciness and coffee. I compared this to Bourbon County stout while drinking it and felt that there was more going on in this beer.

M: Heavy body I guess. I just wanted this thing to be tar due to the smell and taste so I guess this is where this beer fell short for me.

D: I wrote " Bourbon County Lite" hahahaa. This is a really great beer. I think the reason I like the other better is that there is simply too much going on in this beer. It is amazing. Every sip really did yield something different. I think the insanity of this beer is why is deserves to be a top nod.

Had this on tap at Founders Brewery. Stopped there as part of my Dark Lord Day road trip. Served in a snifter.

A: Black opaque body. No head. Little to no carbonation visible.

S: Earthy, oaky, and full of coffee. Hints of bourbon and dark fruits (raisons).

T: Strong coffee presence. Slightly bitter. Nice notes of oak and boubon.

M: Full bodied. Slightly syrupy. Very smoothe.

D: Not a session beer by any means, but I could sip it from a snifter all night like a fine bourbon. I've had it in it's bottle form and wasn't thrilled. Enjoying it on tap opened my eyes to how good this beer really is.

4.07/5  rDev -10.7%

Aged 1 year

A: Black as it gets. Very little head. perhaps lost a little carbonation over the year.

S: Black coffee, bourbon, hints of bitter chocolate.

T: The coffee notes are strong, hints of chocolate and some bourbon notes as well.

M: Pretty thick, even for a stout, and quite filling. Actually more carbonation in the mouthfeel than indicated by the appearance.

D: This one's a slow sipper.

This beer is interesting becuase it tastes kinda like coffee gone cold, which I hate. But add alcohol and bourbon flavor with hints of chocolate and vianilla and its GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to nflmvp for trading this one to me in person at DLD.

This is my first one all to myself so I thought I would give it a review. Poured this into my Duvel tulip at a little bit below cellar temp. A nice aggressive pour gives a thick dark brown 1.5 inch head. This beer is dark and viscous, just pouring it out of the bottle looked and smelled like fresh brewed coffee. It has thick full lacing all over the glass. The smell while its still cool is just completely dominated by great fresh brewed coffee and espresso beans. As it warms up I get lots of chocolate and a hint of bourbon but the coffee just completely dominates for me. The taste is just incredible. Perfect balance of roasted malts, coffee, vanilla oakiness, and chocolate. One of the best tasting imperial stouts I have ever had. The mouthfeel is nice and thick and viscous. I could seriously drink this all night at anytime. I definitely see why they call it a breakfast stout with this much coffee flavor but I love it. I never really got that much bourbon out of this but I didn't really care; I also had a year aged one at a tasting about a month ago and the barrel aging was much more evident after aging.

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to bwyker for breaking this out & sharing. This kicks ass along with Bourbon County Stout. And like Bourbon County Stout, there are not nearly enough bottles available. :(

A- Black and sin with small mocha head. Dark garnet light coming in on the sides

S- Smells like burning wood and coffee.

T- Straight up sexy. Tangy charred wood. The bourbon is not crazy, but definitely has a presence. Sweet coffee at the end. Smokey. Bittersweet chocolate. You can taste this beer in your nose.

M- Medium to heavy bodied. A heavier body along with the heavy taste would not be a good combo.

D- (I dislike this rating system because its so difficult to accurately convey what these fields mean) I could drink a bottle of this over the course of an hour or three and enjoy every second of it.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

This year's 2008 model, poured from the twist off 12oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a solid obsidian oil slick with only a ring of red foam around the sides of the glass. Lacing is glued to the sides and is a rich tan.

Smell- Rich espresso with hints of bourbon and masses of Belgian chocolate, cream, lactose, brown sugar, caramel, bourbon is more powerful as the beer warms. Vanilla extract snakes through on the finish.

Taste- Bourbon, chocolate, creamer, black licorice. Chocolate gets more powerful like a marraige of dark and milk chocolate. Whiskey warming on the finish, just like taking a shot. Hops and fruity notes are nonexistant.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, warming, full-bodied as all hell, evenly-carbonated, lightly prickly, smooth and gluey.

Drinkability- The Kentucky Breakfast Stout I had enjoyed in the past was not near as great as this KBS. This could damn well be teh best double stout in the world.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very very black color. Had a wonderful charred bourbon aftertaste that i really liked after the third sip. Once again like the darklord I taste a very dark chocolate like a 72% or higher of coco. I did prefer this beer over the Darklord.
This is also another beer that i think only one bottle would be my fill since it is so heavy, but i savored it and drank it slow. I wonder what bourbon barrel it was in to get that taste. Maybe a makers mark or a pappy van winkel if we are lucky.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Got this from joe151 in an ongoing trade that hopefully yields him a fraction of the beer happiness I think he's sent my way! Cheers, Joe!

Pours oily black with 2+ fingers of mocha/brown head into my La Chouffe tulip. Superior lacing good head retention

S: Big time bourbon smells, coffee & oak, fades a bit as it warms

T: Kahlua, coffee grounds, vanilla & oakyness up front. Chocolate comes through as this warms, along with mocha, a bit of booze, & vanilla. Finishes a little dry, with coffee, chocolate, & bourbon accents with enough restraint to pull everything together

MF: Very rich, dry, with lively enough carbonation to push the flavor out. Becomes fairly warming half way through & super sticky

Drinkability is through the roof for both the style & ABV. Damn near flawless, yum. This damn near pulled a straight-line five, lucky bastards in Michigan that can hoard this!

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

What better way to top off Derby Day 2008 than with a KBS. 12oz bottle courtesy of knight84 poured into a snifter. Big thanks Dave!

A: Pours oil slick black with a dense one-finger brown head that dissipates almost immediately leaving very good lacing.

S: Roasted coffee dominates the nose with a definite bourbon aroma that is underpinned by a faint malt aroma with a vanilla and dark fruit sweetness (very faint). One of the best noses on any beer I've had, near perfect for me.

T: Wow, the taste is massive! It starts with a huge roasted/burnt coffee flavor with a heavy dose of chocolately malts, bourbon and wood. Then there is all kind of other things bouncing around the taste buds - caramel, dark fruits, vanilla - tough to identify all of it. Bitterness of the coffee taste lingers for...days.

M: Medium body yet very creamy and smooth mouthfeel.

D: Despite the massive nature of this brew, I found it tough to put down. This is, without a doubt, one of the most unique beers I have tasted and I hope to get my hands on some more of it.

EDIT: I've had this numerous times in the last year or so and I had to up my review a bit. This is one of the best handful of beers in the world. Absolutely phenomenal.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

Derby Day. What better day to crack this open. Bottle obtained in trade with Imstillthegman (huge thanks!), and labeled "February 2006". I assume that's the purchase date.

Poured into a brandy snifter just before post time, slightly cooler than room temp. Oozed out of the bottle coffee black with a very thin film of milk-chocolate colored head, which didn't stick around.

First whiff was heaven. Smells like Kahlua, with some barrel wood background and a hint of prune.

Tilted back during the singing of "My old Kentucky Home", and what an experience. A delicious and complex brew, with nicely balanced chocolatey/smokey/coffee flavor, notes of prune and bourbon, enhanced by a mild alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel was thinner than expected (I expected syrupy) but full bodied nonetheless, with practically zero carbonation. Left a tanniny coating on the palate as a nice cabernet wine would.

Alcohol is well masked but packs a whallop. This isn't a beer I'd order a pitcher of (that's a lie...I probably would if I could) but it's easy to drink, and like the label promises, it cured my lame back. I think I did experience some unexpected swelling though (yeah, it's that good).

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company