Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,013 | Ratings: 11,716
4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

A - pours black with a camel-brown colored 1/2 finger head

S - charred, sweet oak, dark chocolates, hot bourbon, vanilla, and a lot of coffee - there is a ton going on here. I wish the nose was a tad bit stronger though.

T - the taste follows the nose perfectly. Starts of with some chocolatey coffee. Sandwiched in the middle is a bunch of bourbon, with some vanilla and molasses. KBS Finishes with a sweet milk chocolate. The bourbon is very hot when this is fresh - it reminds me of the time I dumped some makers mark in a stout...it is very stouty and bourbony. Lots of vanilla and spicy bourbon on the exhale. This is complex and well-crafted, but it falls short of what I like in my favorite barrel aged beers...too much bourbon and bot enough supporting malts.

M - medium bodied with some low carbonation - silky smooth as it goes down

D - Breakfast stout taken to a whole new level. The base is still there, however the oaky bourbon really lets this go to a new level. Awesome beer, however the 12% abv limits this one. I guess I was expecting something more here. This didn't wow me like I hoped it would.

I am glad I was able to get my hands on this. Between this and Nemesis coming out a couple of weeks ago, Founders is really rolling them out right now. I feel fortunate to have been able to pick up a couple of bottles of each. I must say that I thought this was a fantastic brew, however when it comes to bourbon barrel stouts BCS is still my favorite.
---

6 mo. update. There is a lot of molasses on the nose. The coffee has faded a little, as well as the bourbon. The vanilla really pops. All of the flavors have started to fade together to form a more unified beer.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Jet black with no light passing through. Brown fizzy head that appears at the end of the pour, which quickly dissolves almost completely.
Smell is heavy on coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. The bourbon comes in nicely, not being overpowering. Some oak in there as well. Nice, complex aroma; I'm sure there's much more I'm not picking up.
Taste is some bitter coffee up front, with vanilla and rich, dark chocolate following. The oak and bourbon come in near the finish. Again, the bourbon is fairly subdued, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Alcohol is well-hidden.
Mouthfeel is velvety and smooth, yet there is a hint of carbonation that makes it just right. Nice warmth from the alcohol.
Very, very drinkable. Excellent, well-balanced taste that isn't too rich or too heavy on the bourbon. And again, the alcohol is expertly concealed.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

This is the '09 on tap at the brew pub

A: a glowing and hazed reddish brown hue permeates with traces of faint mocha swirls sitting on top. A large gathering of shiny bubbles sits hard right in my snifter. A very small amount of lacing exists (considering the ABV), speckled and fading. The body just looks righteous and fit for the name, as noted by the mild bourbon colors resting at the edges when I sip. By far one of the better looking stouts. As far as presentation is concerned all the right elements are here

S: the nose is monstrous. Rich coffee, hearty malts, chocolate, and globs of molasses with some vanilla infused bourbon. The smells listed may seem ordinary for some stouts and whiskey based brews of this sort but the '09 KBS is fairly extraordinary in the nose. Even so, things are starting to smell a little moon-shiny as my journey continues

T: luscious cocoa, heavily roasted and darkened malts, pulverized hazelnut coffee beans, some cured vanilla beans, and a thin slice of fudge cake. I might be a little overzealous about this brew but it really is just that darn good! No if's and or buts! It is a great melding of bitter and sweet while being both smooth and rough. Eventually, after numerous small sips, I find that the bitterness plays between coffee and a burnt sucrose character. Even more amazing is the lack of alcohol on the palate. It drinks so flipping smooth with really no ABV intensity at all. The way this beer moves is top notch

M: the mouthfeel is quite sumptuous and close to velvet on the tongue. It also holds a relatively mild feeling while being so smooth. Just great, absolutely great!

D: 5 stars. I might venture to say that the bourbon is rather subdued (the extra year of age no doubt) but this is not a problem for me. All the right ingredients in this one. Now I have to have the regular release of KBS and I have the feeling I won't be disappointed.

4.02/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz. bottle, 2010 release.

Thick, viscous onyx, with a tight, dark tan head.

Aroma is awesome. Very bourbon-like up front, with hints of vanilla, and then dark roasted coffee and alcohol. Fat note of chocolate fudge as well.

Flavor is woody and oaky, with a pretty substantial coffee presence, much like the standard Breakfast Stout. Finishes extremely warming and full of roasted bitterness. Kind of sweet overall. The bourbon character is more subdued than I expected, but very nice, with those savory, buttery, and maple-like notes reminiscent of a fine bourbon. Mouthfeel is super thick and rich, though quite drying on the back-end. Very smooth for the alcohol content; however, still only realistically drinkable for the style.

This stout is chock full of flavor, but in the end I find it a bit raw and rough. A big beer that just might be too big. Given this stuff's reputation on BA, it seems that many of us love being slapped and/or punched in the face with flavor. Umm... not me. I like big beers, but this one's unbalanced. Sorry!

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz. Bottle of 2010 KBS:

A: Dark black with only small amount of head; the beer looks just like breakfast stout.

S: Smells of coffee and bourbon with faint hints of oatmeal. The oak gives the beer a very earthy feel as well.

T: Bourbon, coffee, and chocolate on the palate, the oak bitterness and oatmeal are more present on the finish. The taste is good, better than Breakfast Stout but not as good as CBS.

M/D: Not overly drinkable, mouthfeel is smooth but it is a bit harsh on the finish. Still a very good beer that lives up to its reputation.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

First-time KBS drinker, as I live in Atlanta. I'm so happy Founders is available here now.

A- As dark a brown as I can find. Very minimal head. A little bit of a ring around the glass leftover after several slow sips.

S- Coffee, chocolate, bourbon.

T- It's an overwhelming cocoa roast, but I get the hints of oak, roasted coffee, and a hint of the bourbon barrel aging.

M- Smooth and coats the palate nicely.

D- An absolutely wonderful beer. I like it better than Depth Charge, and that's saying a lot. This is what I expected Depth Charge to be. It's a perfect mix of all ingredients. The warmer it gets, the more I taste the bourbon.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first breakfast stout with breakfast before attending my cousins state hockey championships.

A- Slick black like some dirty oil. A nice deep brown head with good retention and foam rings hanging around my better beer glass.

S- Nuts, chocolate and bourbon blended together.

T- Vanilla, coffee, chocolate, touches of oak, touches of bourbon all blended together. Just fantastic! A bit of heat, but in no way is this a negative, in fact it reminds me even more of the bourbon since it smooths out the finish so well.

M- Velvety smooth, with a nice coating to the mouth that leaves all those wonderful blends of flavor breathing on the palate.

D- For a beer at 11.2% abv this is a very smooth beer that I could drink very easily for a while.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

A: black motor oil with same looking viscosity. two finger head when poured aggressive that looks like chocolate whip cream. The head dissipates to just a thin coating on top of the beer but leaves some milky lacing

S: big coffee smells with chocolate and vanilla. very robust i must say

T: Yum! Not nearly as powerful as the smell but there sure is a lot of flavors that are going on but then oddly enough the 3rd taste they all meld together. really really smooth milk chocolate with a robust coffee background touch of vanilla and then i get the oak vanilla from the barrel. mighty tasty. the booze is there but in no way hot.

M: Slick mouth with limited carbonation but at least its there.

D: well i just slammed half the glass just trying to figure out how good it is. i keep wanting another sip. its super smooth and doesn't feel like 11% and i can only imagine how nice it will taste in a year

2009 vintage
Pours a pitch black with a small brown head that leaves a good amount of lacing as it dissipates.
The smell is heaven. The bourbon, coffee and chocolate all combine into one smell that makes you want to dunk your whole face in the glass.
I taste a smooth sourness from the bourbon with bitter sweet chocolate that you notice first as that subsides you taste the coffee and a little heat from the alcohol.
The mouth feel is thick and creamy but at the same time light on the tongue.
This beer is a big, complex, sweet, sour, bitter, hot, and creamy but it is so good it goes down like candy and it is as drinkable as a 11% RIS aged in bourbon barrels gets.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured like dirty, black,sludgy motor oil. Darkest beer I think I've ever poured.
Smell was HEAVY roasted coffee, light chocolate, and very slight booze.
Taste is black coffee with a hint of bitter chocolate and light booze hitting in the middle. The bitterness and booze linger a bit in the finish.
A rich, full bodied brew. Drinks smooth though and the booze never overpowers the beer. Well balanced. Drinkability is a lot higher than I expected for 11.2% ABV. Glad I had the chance to try it.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Motor oil with nearly no head. Some bubbles hug the edge of my beer goblet. At first glance it looks black but then you notice it to be a REALLY dark brown - like brown shoe polish mixed with black paint.

S - Chocolate and coffee in a fight to see who wins aroma supremacy. A steady aroma of bourbon maintains a constant presence in this struggle. Picking up some vanilla in the background and some slight coconut notes.

T & M - BOURBON! And then is the vanilla before a finish that reminds me of bittersweet chocolate or is it roasted coffee? I cannot tell. In between all that is something I can't figure out to save my life but its very smooth. Its like what you get when drinking a milk stout but more complex. By the fifth sip, I experience a warming in my chest that rises to the back of the throat. Rich taste with a full body. As it warms, I am getting a nice and complex subtle malt flavor.

D - Savory and tasty - very drinkable.

This beer isn't exactly my cup of tea. I cannot see this beer being one of my go to beers but that doesn't mean it isn't a good beer. I got this on the advice of a salesperson at my local beer boutique. I'm glad I got it. Not sure if I'd get it again though.

POSTSCRIPT:
As this beer warms, it attains a chocolatey decadence with a boozy backbone. This does warrant a "Wow!" Let this stout warm a bit after taking out the fridge.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Look: Blackest beer I've ever seen! Medium light brown head with little retention, but great lacing

Smell: Dark roast coffee, roasted malt, chocolate, bourbon.

Taste: Up Front: Espresso, chocolate, vanilla. Finish: Sweet malt, bourbon, roasted malt - absolutely decadent!!!

Mouthfeel: Full body, low/medium carbonation, and very creamy

Drinkability: I did not want it to end, but it would be hard to drink more than one of these

Overall Impression: Another beer that lives up to the hype! Simply amazing across the board. I was expecting more bourbon and less coffee. Regardless, it's one of the greatest Stouts ever!

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Pouring the darkest and heavenliest of all jet blacks that I've ever seen, the Kentucky Breakfast Stout had a thick and dark cream head perched atop the beautiful libation. The smell was unbeatable with a dense aroma of seductive bourbon and dreamy cream. The layers of flavor just in the scent were already enough to make me want this beer on my deathbed.

The taste took multiple sips to even begin to separate all the complex and intriguing flavors that radiated throughout. An initial blast of thick cream, toffee, and burnt brown sugar kicks you in the mouth as a whirlwind of dull-sweet chocolate malt and toasted semi-sweet chocolate dances haphazardly on the tongue. The bitterness up front is well-performed and the booze never becomes overbearing or a note worth forgetting. The bourbon, though, is the outstanding element in this beer. The bourbon flavor arrives early to the party, hangs out strong all night, and doesn't leave until the last cigarette is consumed and the last partier is ready for bed. But he never gets obnoxious or annoying; he's the one you never want to go. The only drawback you can even begin to have with this beer is the density and the complexity-it's almost too much at times. Oddly enough, as the beer warmed, I began to like it a little bit less. This really is one to have slightly chilled to catch every last highlight.

Pours a jet black, with a dark mocha head.

Appearance is onyx black, with no light getting through at all.

Smells of roasted coffee mixed with something darker and more sour.

First sip is deeply chocolate, with the smoothest mix of espresso, all of which has a woody boubon-like after-taste, but man, it's just smooth smooth smooth! Everything's just centered and concentrated and organized into a flavor spectrum that feels like it's all meant to be there in exactly the way it is. Hands down, this is the tastiest beer I've had to date.

Mouthful is huge, with new flavors constantly introducing themselves as you drink it.

Drinkability is frighteningly good. At nearly 12%, it balances the mocha sweetness with its bourbon sour attributes to make my favorite beer to date.

Find this beer. Find it and buy it and enjoy it. It really is that good.

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Black as night with a small tan head. Not sure if there would have been any lacing, head was barely present in this pour so nothing to really leave any on the sides.

S - Can tell this one has been in the barrel. Very oaky. Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. Good stuff.

T - I tend to strongly dislike anything that's overly woody, but I loved it on this beer. The oaked influence comes through softly on the front, but you definately taste it. Fades into a nice mix of chocolate and molassas. Mild coffee comes all the way through. This stuff is fantastic.

M - Full bodied, can feel its weight in your mouth.

D - Can really only do one bottle, pretty manly brew, too heavy to do tons of. Fantastic beer though.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Bottled on 02/08/10 and poured into my Duvel Tulip.

A - Pours pitch black with about a half finger of molasses colored head and leaves a very nice thin ring of foam around the class throughout drinking.

S - Smell is just off the charts with dark roasted coffee, bourbon, wood, malts and a bit of vanilla. I wish Founders could make this into a cologne I would buy truckloads of it.

T - It just explodes with coffee, bourbon, wood, malts with a touch of vanilla, this is just top of the line. If I could only drink 1 beer for the rest of my life this would be it.

M - Creamy and full bodied, it just coats my mouth. Perfect!

D - This just never gets old for me, it hides the 11.2% amazingly well. This is just pefection in bottle.

This is my favorite beer of all time. Founders is just making extraordinary beers and this is on the top of the mountain. Seriously try to get your hands on this if you haven't had it or if you have had it.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Served on-tap at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Pours a dark, dark brown nearing black with a nice 1 finger creamy light tan head.

S: Wonderful coffee aroma, similar to Breakfast Stout only enhanced with some sweet, sticky bourbon and some rich cocoa and milk chocolate.

T: Coffee hits the palate first and is quickly followed by a surge of chocolate/cocoa engulfed in bourbon. Really full and rich with great complexity.

M: Full-bodied with fairly low and creamy carbonation with a nice warming bourbon that coats the entire palate quite nicely.

D: With a flavor profile such as this along with the fact that the 11.2% abv. is completely masked, this is a dangerously drinkable Imperial Stout.

Overall this beer certainly lived up to its hype for me and is yet another expertly crafted Imperial Stout from Founders. Highly Recommended.

A: A motor oil slick look with no head but incredible lacing.

S: A wonderful mix of vanilla, bourbon and coffee.

T: Just an amazing flavor! The taste mirrors the smell. The alcohol is there, but it's really smooth.

M: Three words: thick, chewy and creamy.

D: For such a big beer, it's amazingly drinkable. For it's heat and thickness, I would reach for another one after drinking one, it's that good.

For me, this is the gold standard of beer. I've had at least 35 of the top 100, and I would take this before any other beer.

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a dark black with brownish head and thick lacing on the glass.

The smell is a bit toasty at first, with some nice chocolate flavor that jumps out front. Some nice bourbon flavor kicks at the aroma and really pushes at the nose.

The taste is heavy bourbon stout flavor with some roasty flavor that feels like a nice biscuit flavor that was burnt in the toaster.

The feel of this beer is a bit heavy for a beer I expected to have some mellow flavor but was kicked hard. A bit of a heavy feel going down but a great tasting beer.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Aggressively poured into snifter...

A: Pours a viscous pitch black with no head, only a thin foam that forms and then vanishes into a thin ring around the edge.

S: Big aroma of bourbon, molasses, brown sugar, bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee, faint grassy hops, raisiny dark fruit. Very complex and well balanced.

T: I give this beer a perfect 5 on taste because of the balance of the flavors. All the flavors found in the nose but they are all so perfectly balanced and integrated into the flavor profile. So incredibly well rounded, full bodied and delicious!

M: Heavy mouthfeel with wonderful carbonation that lifts the heaviness off the tongue and makes the flavors jump on your palate. Very balanced as I previously stated, adding to the mouthfeel and slightly creamy.

D: Tough to give a high drinkability for an 11.2% beer but this is pretty drinkable. Smooth, creamy and not an ounce of harshness from the booze or bitterness. Would love to have this on hand at all times!

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours syrupy thick and black with close to an inch of brown head. Retention is moderate, with a fine ring of bubbles sticking around the edges of the glass. Smells of brewed coffee, cocoa, chocolate cake, and alcohol. The flavor is much more rich than the aroma, with loads of cocoa, fresh coffee, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake batter, cookie dough, an opulent warming spicy finish. Chewy thick and warming with low to moderate carbonation. The nice flavor and fantastic finish make this an easy drink despite its strength. Definitely a great stout and I would lavish it with more praise, but I will reserve that for my love affair with Canadian Breakfast Stout.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

I should mention first that this is the '09 KBS, i've had one bottle laying around for a while and realized i never reviewed it. It is probably the most opaque stout i've seen, just a deep rich black with very minimal head despite a vigorous pour (probably due to age). The aromas are as complex as most beers' taste, you get a heavy roasted malt with the sweetness of chocolate, vanilla and coffee, and also a faint hint of the bourbon in the background. All of those flavors come back in the taste, just a wonderful melding of everything a good stout should be. The mouthfeel is very nice as well, there's almost three stages as an upfront, a mouth coating and then an aftertaste, each with a seemingly different effect on the flavor. The only thing that keeps me from rating the drinkability higher is the abv, i've made the mistake of drinking a KBS later in a sesh and it's basically put me to sleep. Definitely worth the hype and praises, this Founders offering stands right at the top of the imperial stout class.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

KBS bottled 2.17.09 shared with cpz28

Appearance is pitch black with a one finger tan head. Minor lacing with a nice collar of foam. The carbonation is hidden in the blackness but shows up when taking a sip.
Smells of big coffee notes and bourbon. Very roasty as well. The coffee just smells fantastic. Would love to know what they used in the beer. One of the best noses on a stout that I've had.
Taste is coffee and roasty flavors initially. The bourbon makes its presence known more as it warms up. Slightly sweet with vanilla, bourbon, and oak making their presence known too.
Medium to full bodied with good carbonation. Very easy drinking.

Just a great beer to sip over the course of an hour or so and see all the flavors develop and change. I feel it's best a bit fresher when the bourbon presence is felt more. I cannot wait for KBS day to arrive so I can get some more for the coming year. Definitely seek this one out!

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

Well we survived the DC snowpocalypse of 2010 but still have no power. I'm getting annoyed and the house is getting colder by the hour, so I deceded to get something from the cellar to lighten my mood and warm me up a little. KBS just sounded like a perfect way to start the cold night off, and it's my first KBS ever as well.

Pours black as can be in the dark, and just as black when held up to the candle light. Not much head to speak of but left a little lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma has bitter coffee, chocolate with a little more subtle wood, vanilla, and Bourbon coming through. Very appealing and complex nose.

The taste is very heavy on the bitterness with a lot of coffee, chocolate, and roasted grains coming through. The bourbon also comes through very well and compliments the other flavors, but isn't overpowering. As in the nose the oak and vanilla are a little more subtle then the other flavors, but add a nice complexity to the beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and carbonation is low, pretty much what I would expect from this style. Very drinkable and delicious, I could use a few more of these tonight to warm me up.

Overall an excellent beer. Breakfast stout is already an amazing beer and the barrel aging really adds to it in this case making it more complex and delicious. Can't wait to buy this here in VA this year.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Decided to crack a bottle in loving memory of my 10 year old rottweiler (Boe) who had to be put down today. Thanks to Wespatrick for hooking me up with this one. A 2009 bottle poured into my DFH signature glass. This is my second time having this beer, and the first time i was a little disappointed. My feelings this time are much different.

A: Somehow old used motor oil looks very appealing. This definitely looks the part, though with a very very small dark khaki head.

S: Chocolate, coffe, and a caramel/vanilla bourbon scent. This is one of the best smelling beers i can recall. I get those smells in a different order almost every time, they mix really well together.

T: Bourbon hits as soon as it touches my tongue. This is followed by the all so familiar coffee and chocolate mix that makes me love breakfast stout so much. Not much of a surprise here, the taste pretty much follows the smell, which is a good thing. Again the bourbon, coffee, burt malts, chocolate and hints of caramel and vanilla all mix together for an amazing brew.

M: Full bodied, creamy, and still very well carbonated.

D: Goes down very easy, i could drink a few easily. I only have one more left, damn Founders for leaving SC! Now i need to go on a hunt for this in a month.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company