Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Wants: 4,189
Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Now labeled as "KBS."
Reviews: 2,777 | Hads: 10,604
4.32/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Deep black beautiful looking beer with little head that dwindles to a tiny ring around the edge. Not much lacing going on.

S: Big coffee nose with a nice oaky undertone and a splash of bourbon.

T: Nice bitter chocolate and coffee up front. Some oak and bourbon rides smoothly underneath.
M: Full bodied and just chewy enough. Good carbonation. Leaves a nice stout coating in your mouth.

D: Not too bad at all definitely a sipper but so worth having. (459 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a bottle that I got as a $21.99 four pack from Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield Road in Cleveland. It was not on display. I chatted up the guy working the desk and asked him if there was any "Beer Advocate" beers that he had. He showed me these and I was sold. This is certainly the "KBS" vintage version. Poured into my Murphy's Irish Red pint glass.

A Actually medium to dark brown 1.0 cm head over an ink black body that looks awesome. The head dissipated within a minute or two, though.

S You know, the most prominent smell is a cereal like grain along with the dark malt. I think that it is from the Bourbon aging process. Really interesting, inviting.

T ohhhh wwwowww! What a taste explosion! The first sensation I get is a really great, mature Stout with deep, dark malt and chocolate notes. Then comes a wave of bourbon like alcohol that rushes in and then ebbs out and leaves me with a great aftertaste of a finely crafted stout. I have no doubt why this is no highly rated now that I have tasted it. Incredible.

M Thick, syrupy, with a bite of alcohol and yet smooth at the beginning and during the long finish but the middle is like a thunderclap of alcohol. One of the "biggest" beers that I have ever had mouthfeel wise. For the style, that is a plus in my book.

D You know, I thought it wasn't that good (it is such a huuuge beer) but I found myself reaching for it over and over until it was gone. I am upgrading my rating!

Notes: What a great experience. I am glad that I spoke with the guy at Warehouse Beverage to score this one. (1,563 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%

Most recent vintage, a.k.a. 'KBS.' Served in my Bell's tulip glass.

Pours ominously dark, like a strong cup o' joe, with only a sliver of brown lacing. On the lips, it is surprisingly silky, almost oily, not nearly as thick as the color would have you believe. Taste is - wow, starting sweet, maybe with some alcohol hotness, then turning into dark chocolate, bitterness coming out, espresso flavors in the finish. Based on the smoothness of the mouthfeel and the flavors that remain interesting throughout, it is highly drinkable, though the alcohol will catch up to you.

I don't know if it's worth the hype necessarily, but it's a good beer. (646 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle@home

A: Pitch black with a small beige head.

S: Roasted grain, Coffee, Bourbon, Vanilla.

T: Chocolate, Espresso, Bourbon, Grain, Dark caramel.

M: Very smooth with low carbonation. Body is a bit thin.

A great stout that lacks a bit in body and malt to be world class. Still very good and well worth a try! (316 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%

I split a bottle with two of my friends last night. I had my friends write down there some notes for the review the most appropriate being "if God is female then Jesus undoubtedly was breast fed KBS 17 times a day".

Regardless KBS is a great beer. Viscous black with good lacing. Lotsvanilla caramel coffee and char smell and flavor. It seems like KBS has everything a beer can have. Theres dark chocolate and bourbon notes as well. Incredibly easy to drink for such a big beer. It is still a little hot but overall there is not much to complain about. (553 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -4%

Poured from newer logo'd "KBS" 12 oz bottle into a New Belgium Snifter. Unfortunately, I did not have this for breakfast because that would've been perfect.

A - Dark dark stout that shows a tan head (like a RIS). The top showed pockets of head like a belgian yeast typically produces. Great lacing on this guy.

S - Simple, wood and alcohol. Roasted malts and coffee could be picked up beyond.

T - Gets dinged a little because of the sharp alcohol burn, but a fantastic brew otherwise. Lots of chocolate and roasted malts. Heavy oak flavoring to match the bourbon taste.

M - Heavy, creamy, good carbonation. I do like Imperial Stouts with heavy carbonation to let the flavors dance around like a Dark Lord. This is no Dark Lord however.

D - I really wish this was more than 12 oz. I'd like to taste on a 750 ml all night. (827 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -10.3%

Pitch black with a finger high dark tan head. Very strong coffee ground aroma, a bit of vanilla and toffee. Flavor is coffee, dark chocolate, toffee, vanilla, and a just a tad bit of bourbon, but that is a stretch even. Amazingly hides the alcohol almost completely. Dry, slightly sweet finish with a little bit of carbonation. Thick and almost chalky, not quite. Very enjoyable. (379 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +2.6%

2009 Vintage

A: Poured like motor oil with no head. Just little foam bubbles.

S: I get some bourbon but it comes across to me more as a sweet vanilla. I can't get any coffee but I do pick up some chocolate and toffee.

T: Sweet vanilla with a touch of that toffee flavor. Again no coffee, in years past the coffee has been more present if I remember correctly. I'll go back and drink a 2008 soon.

M: Smooth as can be for a beer this big!

D: I love this beer every year and I will drop the $20 a four pack until they don;t make it anymore. (543 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a stemless red wine glass.

This is the first time I have tried the 2009 batch which I believe they have changed the recipe for.

Very balanced with less bourbon than in past years and more chocolate...which is think is attributable to the recipe change. Fresh coffee grounds at first taste and chocolate lingering throughout. Some hops and bourbon on the finish.

This has been a favorite for a while now though I prefer it on draft (also fresher for me) but borderline incredible nonetheless and a must try for fans of big stouts. (542 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Dark as the dickens, there's basically no head even seconds after the pour. I didn't exactly rush this gem into its container, but only the thinnest layer of tan CO2 bubbles capped her off. Lacing leaves its mark as I swirl the liquid, and traces of carbonation do continue to make their way to the surface--both marks of a well-made beer. This "highly acclaimed" beverage looks the part, and I actually second-guess the label's claim that this stout ale does not provide relief for various ailments.

It's complex and a bit on the cold side, but the KBS doesn't smell quite exceptional like its Yankee Candle-esque, relatively ordinary counterpart. I do smell the sweet bourbon--oh-so-sweet bourbon. It gives it a sweet, stout aroma--not like the buttery, creamy variety characteristic of milk stouts, but a unique, bourbony one. It's not overwhelming like whiffing a freshly opened Jim Beam handle, and it's not subtle as if I'm doubting its presence. The only thing missing pre-taste is a foamier cap that might take both ratings to "exceptional status."

The taste is neat and eerily refreshing. Forced to choose sides, I'd say the bourbon is more on the subtle side of taste. Initially doubtful about the "stout ale" style, I now think it's aptly categorized. It's got drinkable qualities reminiscent of ales, but with the heartiness of a stout. Essentially everything about this beer is so well done. I can even appreciate the oak--despite the potentially overpowering stout and bourbon components, the oakiness leaves its mark. It gives the beer a tannin-like quality with post-swallow residuals.

I'm wading into mouthfeel territory now, and it's difficult to separate the two. The beer's complexity gives rise to a tasting experience in which I taste a bourbon stout while I feel an oaky ale. I've yet to perfectly rate a beer, and perhaps it's ridiculous obstinance at this point. Still, as I enjoy this cold beer that I poured (gently) into my Flying Dog pint glass, I wonder if only serving style is what's holding this back. Next time, I'll serve it slightly warmer, in a snifter. Ah, next time.... (2,112 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I poured this fine example of a stout-ale from a wee-but-corpulent 12oz brown bottle into a stemmed globe-style glass bearing the strange image of a red bicycle with bulbous tyres.

A= This ale poured as dark as pitch with a shy, elusive head that showed its tawny face and retreated immediately into the murky depths, leaving behind nothing but an uneven skim. Of lace, there was just a few spotty deposits hither and yon on my glass, but nothing to excite even the most easily aroused.

S= I found this stout to be odiferous in the most pleasant sense, with subtle notes of wood, whiskey-spirits, and dark ripened fruit dancing a gavotte behind the larger characteristics of coffee, fire-roasted malts, and alcohol.

T= Startled from their reverie, my tastebuds received immense flavor and pleasure from the first sip of this potent elixir. Dark roasted grains bestow a delicious espresso and bitter chocolate character, made only more sublime by their subtelty and balance against the other contributing flavors of treacle, toffee, and dark cherries. The conclusion of each sip brought out exquisite bits of vanilla, wood, leather, and a beautiful warming alcohol.

MF= Shockingly average body that started off well carbonated but lost a good bit of that to the atmosphere in short order. This felt creamy and smooth despite the roasty bitterness and carbonation.

D= No matter what the epic nature of this fine ale's ABV caused me to believe, the flavors and aroma combined to endear it to me forever. I would gladly give whatever the bar-maid asked to have another glimpse of this in my glass and dare I say I would do so multiple times of an evening. Highly recommended...huzzah! (1,688 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -7%

This is one dark brew. There's not a bit of light making it through here. Some lacing left at the end, but a thinner beer than I thought it would be.

The smell is definitely that of bourbon...lots of it. Can taste the coffee and hints of chocolate. Bourbon lovers will definitely take to this beer.

Good mouthfeel, good drinkability. An excellent example of the style. Glad I have another 5 backed up in the cellar...will be nice to see how these age. (455 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +5.5%

Got this in a trade with xpimptastikx (great trader by the way).
Poured into a snifter.

A- Blackest of the black. No light can make it past this beer's gravitational pull. A small brown head arrives late and leaves early leaving only a wisp of itself on top and a little lacing.

S- Swirling the glass brings out the charred wood and vanilla that's hiding under the strong aroma of coffee. This is delicious. Founder's should put out candles scented with KBS.

T- There's even more going on here than there is in the nose. I'll do my best to figure it out... Chocolate and coffee are big. The bourbon is toward the finish, right before more coffee, but it isnt overpowering at all. In fact none of the flavors here overpower any of the others, rather they all compliment each other nicely.
Bitterness is akin to a cup of black coffee.

M- Thinner than I thought based on looks. Hardly any carbonation. This is just silky smooth, helped along by some milk sugaryness.

D- This is pretty rich, like a piece of fudge or some chocolate pie. Its very nice, a damn good sipper. Kick back and celebrate an awesome ale.

M- (1,119 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +3.7%

Hot damn! Served on tap at the brewery. Like a dream come true.

A: The stout is black with a tan head. Dark and absorbing. Great to look at.

S: The nose is heavy with coffee. Bourbon and lactose follow with a pronounced sweetness. But the coffee? Oh how wonderful.

T: Each sip is a treat. Coffee and chocolate are dominating, follwed by a mild sweet bourbon flavor. Lactose lends a milky smoothness. There is just far too much going on to truly appreciate how awesome the ale is. I liked the maple ale but this one takes the cake.

M: I rated the bottle version of this perfect on all aspects. The mouthfeel really lives up to that original rating. I'd let it sit on my palate for hours.

D: Just friggin' awesome. Thank you, Founders, for making this. (755 characters)

4.55/5  rDev 0%

A - Black color with a brown head and no lacing at all

S - Dry coffee malt nose with lots of Bourbon

T - Great dry malt up front then hints of the whiskey throughout just a great way to approach the two flavors not letting one dominate but mingle nicely the hints are powerful but not distracting.

M - Very creamy

D - Great. (328 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks Tedpeer for this one. First trade success.

Black beer, brown head. Good looking stout. Lace all over.

Bourbon and brown sugar up front. Some smoke and chocolate notes. Some burnt coffee. Molasses and superior malt aroma.

Drinking at room temp with no refrigeration. Hot bourbon at first. I can taste the alcohol and it has a burnt flavor. Its a bit intense if you ask me. Chocolate and coffee hints but so much bourbon. A real hearty beer...puts the hair on your chest. I can sense some hops fighting the sweetness of the chocolate to give it a bold balanced force. There's just way too much going on in this brew.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thinner than I expected. Very dry.

Drinkability? Eh, I think this is my last beer for the night. (745 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +0.4%

Last beer in a trade with DoctorDog, I've been saving this one for a special occasion, that being my girlfriend's return from Peru. Stubby bottle w/ twist off 2/16/09.

A: Inky, pitch black, with a light crown of brown bubbles that surface with an aggressive pour, quickly receded to nothing. A few spots of bubbles towards the outer edges. 95% opacity and quite thick looking. Nice.

S: Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, smoke, charred wood, roasted coffee, and lots of those things, faint little alcohol hit, but the actual smell of bourbon overpowers the booze related with it. Smoke is really present in there as well. Definitely interesting.

T: Really strong on the whiskey/bourbon flavors, chocolate and coffee lie underneath those, definitely a beer for whiskey drinkers, I'm impressed with that. Has a lot more of the barrel characteristics than other barrel aged beers I've had. Fair amount of alcohol in the end that yields some bitterness. Hops are definitely present, and at 70 IBUS I'm not surprised, kind of hard to place them, but there is a definite hop quality coming through. Smoke is up there as well. Very nice beer.

M: A little thinner than I had expected, and that hurts this beer somewhat, I figured this one would be on the verge of chewy. Alcohol and oak aging make it ridiculously dry though, so that definitely brings it back around. Slight warmth, but wow this definitely dries out the mouth.

D: Fairly easy to drink, if you like bourbon, which I happen to. Yes it is indeed completely different than Founders Breakfast Stout, and IMO much better. This beer is a solid punch to the mouth of malt and bourbon, which adds up to everything that it is claimed to be, it just is a little thinner than I had hoped for. Would pair nicely with a cigar. Nice beer, and I hope to acquire some more somehow. Thanks Ben! (1,838 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +0.4%

Appears pitch black in color not a spectrum of visible light passes through this glass. Head was thick after a vigorous pour but did not hold up very well, due to the barrel aging and high alcohol. Lace does patch rather well with sporadic chunky style lace patterns.

Aroma has a black patent malt that is unrelenting with massive whiskey barrel approaches going on. Vanilla, oak, charred wood, and dark chocolate with a milky softness going on, it's quite incredible the array of flavors this beer hits you with. Whiskey finesses it's way in there with loads of fusel alcohol snaring the nasal passages.

Flavor a wonderful collision of imperial breakfast aka chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal stout aged on whiskey barrels. I can't wait to taste the Canadian Breakfast Stout due to be on tap at Fathead's soon. Pure flavor with charred oak, milk chocolate, and bitter coffee roasts coming together I'm sure there's a ton of hops if the IBUs weigh in at 70, but it's hard to detect with everything going on here. Great stuff.

Mouthfeel is velvety smooth yet viscous in girth if that makes sense. It has the gravity but doesn't weight you down, a bit of alcohol burn does take your senses on but it's really well hidden at the end of the day.

Drinkability is fantastic one of those beers that you buy a four pack and sit on it every 4 months just to enjoy it. Great tasting Michigan brewed beer that has kicked this style up a notch and created many other folks' inspiration. (1,477 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -7.3%

A pretty vigorous pour produces about one finger of brown head that can be seen forming in the bottom of the beer. The body is completely opaque and is almost completely black, or at least the darkest of browns. The head has some decent retention and leaves some lacing on the side of my glass.

The smell is packed with a ton of coffee that is followed by the weaker odor of whiskey.

The biggest flavors in KBS are the same as in the aroma. A ton of coffee comes up front, tasting a lot like strong coffee beans. A hint of sweet chocolate and caramel malts are in the middle, but they surface only for a second before whiskey and oak take over. A spicy oak flavor and a big blast of whiskey are paired with a good alcohol warming in the finish.

The body is a probably on the light side of medium, and carbonation is a little higher than medium. I would like the feel to be a little fuller, but it's almost there.

Pretty drinkable beer, it really masks the high ABV well. A good one overall. (994 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this on the 4th of July - opened my celebrations that day with this exceptional American Imperial Stout - after all, it's America's birthday, so why hold back? Review from notes.

Served from a chilled 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: A glorious pour, complete with fireworks going off in the yard behind me. Huge, viscious, oily and black - good god almighty this is a viscous looking stout and exactly how I prefer them. A thin, dark khaki head tries to form on the surface for a couple of second, but it is quickly sucked back down into the pitch-black depths of stout goodness. Strong, sticky lacing coats the sides of my glass with a motor oil-like film of brown "goo." "Wow!" is all I can muster.

S: "Like getting beaten over the head with a sack of fresh Colombian coffee and then getting a swirly in a bourbon barrel." Huge notes abound - Kentucky Bourbon, with its sumptuous, sweet aroma and slight sting to the nostrils; vanilla and charred, earthy wood from the oak barrels; fresh, dark coffee; chocolate-covered espresso beans. So many roasted notes - coffee, burnt toast, toasted oats. Oh my this is mouthwatering just taking in this stout's aroma.

T: What a hit. To be honest, everyone in my family was asking for a sip of this after catching a whiff of the nose - "I wonder what that tastes like?" "Go ahead and take a sip," I say, offering to share my only bottle with all who are curious. And each time the response was the same: "Oh wow! This is beer? This tastes too good to be a beer. Really? This is a beer? This tastes like something you should have with dessert!" I live in a family of bourbon enthusiasts... I should have known to brought another bottle!

Boy was this stout a treat to drink. The flavors began with a creamy wave of sweet vanilla and earthy oak notes. Next, the bourbon comes on, gently at first with sweet caramel and buttery overtones, but then it throttles up and delivers a soothing streak of warmth and boozy alcohol flavor. In the midst of this flurry of flavors charges in a deep, black, roasted coffee flavor along with some burnt toast and rolled oats that moderate any lingering vanilla sweetness from the start. But soon after comes a kiss of melted dark chocolate that balances out another layer of sweetness with just the right bitter edge. Throughout the body there is not much of a hop presence - really just a residual flash of bitterness before the finish, but most is masked by the huge coffee and roastiness that abounds. The finish is all bourbon, slightly medicinal and with a nice, tame burn to round out each sip.

M: Smooth slickness; slightly chewy, creamy goodness that coats on the way down.

D: High ABV but remarkably tamed for a barrel-aged beast. The bourbon is there, but it is pleasant and adds layers of complexity to this stout. Cost may be the only issue hampering drinkability... but does that really matter on a day like today? No.

This is as close to a "5" as I think I have ever come to rating a beer, and as it stands, is not only the best stout I've ever had, but the best beer I've ever had. The only downside, if there is one, is its hefty price point and rather spotty availability. Still, this stout is so good that if I were to come across a 4pk at my local bottle shop, I think I would turn a blind eye when it rings up north of $24. In any event, I would definitely suggest you seek out a bottle or two. I can only imagine that cellaring would elevate this beer into the rarefied air of "sublime." What an exemplary, barrel-aged treat Founders has given us. (3,579 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +1.5%

Aged approximately one year. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass.

A: Opaque dark brown. Little head, perhaps a side effect of aging.

S: Chocolate, coffee, and of course bourbon. Small hint of vanilla from the oak.

T: Like sipping on an espresso with dark chocolate. Finishes with a bitterness like a freshly brewed cup of black coffee.

MF: Thinner than appearances suggest, but a good medium body without the heaviness like many other big stouts. Well carbonated despite the lack of head.

D: Ultra smooth with no hint of alcohol. Amazing! (557 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

KBS in a snifter, via tap. Dark dark brown/black. Creamy head. You can't see through this stuff. If I were swimming in it (yummy) I wouldn't be able to see my hand in front of my face. Smells like chocolate spiced cake that's been soaked in a fine expresso. Malty goodness.
KBS taste like heaven. Very rich coffee and spice. Malty throughout. Feels like warm velvet. Really rich velvet. Coats evenly and sticks nicely.
Good drinkabilty, but I don't see why you'd want to drink more that two in one sitting. Three at the most. Maybe four. Hahaha. Kentucky Breakfast Stout was so good, I felt guilty afterwards. (613 characters)

Tried this after a year of aging in the cellar. I cracked this last night at Uber Tavern in Seattle to share with a friend and fellow beer lover.

I haven't reviewed in awhile, and honestly, I don't even think words can do this beer justice. This is not only a beer, but an experience. It is by far the greatest bourbon barrel aged impy stout ever crafted by man (that I've tried so far - can't imagine it getting much better than this though). Brewing is not only science, but an art form and with KBS, Founders has created the Mona Lisa of bourbon impy stouts. This stuff is ridiculously amazing. I'd seriously consider donating a limb for a case of this stuff!

Truly mind blowing. A beer I will not soon forget, and one that I will now be seeking out with ravenous desire. (777 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best Barrel-Aged Stouts I've ever had! The appearence is dark as dark can be with a beautiful creamy dark head. Smell very nice, Bourbon for sure! The taste is spot on. Exemplfies the style! Smoothe oily mouthfeel makes you yearn for the next sip! (258 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -4%

2008 poured into a snifter

A- Looks extremely thick with very little head. Nice lacing.
S- Smells strongly of coffee and bourbon, but definitely more of a coffee smell. Perhaps a very small hint of vanilla.
T- A lot of chocolate, some bourbon and a strong coffee taste. Very smooth with a warming alcohol feel. Not bitter at all.
M- Incredibly thick and smooth. Not much carbonation to speak of.
D- Easy to drink, especially for what it is. The alcohol is there but in just the right way.
A wonderful beer, I am glad I got to try a 2008. (538 characters)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company