Founders Harvest Ale - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Harvest AleFounders Harvest Ale

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: granger10 on 10-24-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Harvest Ale Alström Bros
SavvyStudent

11-12-2013 23:37:36 | More by BGsWo22
livewire78

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours a boring yellow. This doesn't look like anything special or out of the ordinary. Average at BEST.

Smells again, average. Citrus and pine. Neither seems interesting though. Nothing going on in the Wow department here.

Ok now I'm just plain bored. The citrus and pine are there, sure, but they just kind of sit there. They don't have any depth to the flavors. The bitterness is way overdone for my taste and it seems to be bitter for the sake of being bitter and no other reason.

Feels good especially for a pale. Resinous and nicely carbonated.

If the carbonation level is my favorite thing about a beer then I'm not gonna get it again. I don't get how it's rated so high. I was really looking forward to this but I guess I'll have to say it,"The emperor has no clothes."

07-29-2010 20:04:17 | More by livewire78
AndoBrew

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%

*did not like would not buy*

app: looks like a thick kinda cloudy hefe. yellow orange ish, looks odd.

smell: smells yummy, nice balanced hop aroma. neat mix of fruits and citrus.

taste: odd unbalanced unblended. some banana flavor, not much depth.

mf: to thick and to spritzy all at once. but ok.

drinkable??: yes it is. i just dont like it.

not bad for an over hopped usa ale.

01-08-2008 21:21:57 | More by AndoBrew

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

11-07-2013 01:42:26 | More by hikeeba
wheelinshirt

2.83/5  rDev -33.6%

Picked up this stubby little 12 oz bottle from Capone's in Norristown. Seemed a little late for a wet hop beer, but i needed a hop fix so i picked this one up over bomber of great divide's wet hop, maybe should have gone the other way.

Hazy gold color with about a finger and a half of creamy, just off-white head that actually didn't last that long and left only some lacing. Little disappointing.

Smell is basically just a fresh hop. Not a lot of complexity here, but it does smell good. Wish there was a hint (just a hint) of malt, but the citrus and resiny hop smell is nice.

Taste is pretty bitter, lots of hops. Not really any malt to balance it out. As it warms up some more the hop taste seems to fade, or maybe it is just my palate adjusting--haven't had this much hops in a while. Mouthfeel is pretty poor, actually. Very thing and the slick, oily feel of it keeps it from tasting crisp. Would it have killed them to throw in a bit of caramel malt or something in there?

Drinkability is limited due to the thin body that simply cannot support the bitterness and the lack of malt presence to balance out the hop flavors. Not too bad, I guess, but i wish i had been drinking sierra nevada harvest ale instead.

12-29-2007 05:07:37 | More by wheelinshirt
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

$2.39 per bottle at Ottos in Brookfield, WI.

Label reads: 6.5% ABV, and 70 IBU's. I'm don't quite understand wet hopping yet, but I'm going to assume this will have fresher taste somewhat.

The pour got away from me a little bit, as I was a little aggressive, but still, this is an active head! Dense, tight bubbles at the bottom, spacious big ones in the middle, with a thick meringue-like layer on the very top. The beer itself reminds me of a thick ripe peach.

Aroma is muted, but I can faintly detect a pine scent. A little fruity sweetness too, possibly apricot or peach. A decent enough malt presence. The first couple of drinks were very good, but after that, it seems a little one-dimensional.

My favorite thing about this beer has got to be the mouthfeel. I never thought I would say anything like that, but it's true. Creamy and silky, yet the carbonation feels like it's doing a bit of dancing on your tongue.

Overall, I might try this beer again when next it's released, but I won't be paying $2.39 a bottle for it again this year.

11-03-2008 23:42:25 | More by dancinwillie
adamette

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a single for $3.49 at North Coast Wine & Beer in Cleveland on W. 117th Street two days ago into my Murphy's Irish Red pint glass. Kind of expensive if you ask me for a domestic, albeit craft, single, no? No observed "best by" date on the label.

A Very clear yellow body under a one cm creamy white head. Less than average since this style should have a nice, darker orange color in my opinion. 2.5

S Floral hops dominate. This smells like an IPA. I was a bit surprised to smell this so prominently since the label mentions that it is 70 IBU's. This is not my favorite smell in a beer but I will say that there is a distinct flowery hops (as opposed to the overbearing overripe grapefruit of other hops-centric beers). 3.5

T The hops are front and center but the mid taste was thankfully without the most severe of the hops. The same cannot be said for the first taste sensation and then a long aftertaste of bitter (but flowery) hops. I think this beer is overly hopped. 2.5

M Moderate with the stinging flowery hops and barley adding some body. 3.5

D This is supposed to be a session beer and it is just average for me due to the hop level in it. 3.0

Notes: Well after so much good news from fellow BA's about this Harvest Ale I was motivated to try it when I saw it in the cooler. Had I known that it was pretty much an IPA I might have left it there. I am going to Founders Brewing Company next week in Grand Rapids, MI and so now I know that I do not need to order this one.

10-12-2009 02:32:30 | More by adamette
Brent

Kentucky

2.95/5  rDev -30.8%

I feel rather bad giving this beer a less-than-excellent rating, as it is the first thing I've had from Founders that was not top-notch. Hops flavor was a bit off - herbal hovering on grassy, with a flatly bitter finish. Perhaps the hops variety just isn't hitting the spot for me, but I found myself uninterested in going for a second bottle. Gave it a second try on the chance that the one particular bottle was a bit off, but the same. A sub-par beer for me.

10-19-2009 21:47:06 | More by Brent
taylor714914

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Prefaced with this, I’ve had this before and really enjoyed it, but this years was off.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a HF wine glass. Copper and orange in color with a thin off white head.

Smells of…onion? Or garlic? Very pungent and slightly vegal, but seriously, there is a garlic and onion smell to this.

Taste is a fresh hop bitterness, followed by the sweetness of the malts, but then this pungent onion/garlic flavor just sits down in your palate and doesn’t want to leave. Not digging this flavor at all. Not much of a change as it warms.

Mouthfeel is nice, slightly thick and a tick oily.

Overall, a believe my good friend summed this beer up best. I don’t want to be drinking the burps from a hearty Italian hoagie.

06-18-2013 23:45:01 | More by taylor714914