Founders Harvest Ale - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Harvest AleFounders Harvest Ale

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: granger10 on 10-24-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Harvest Ale Alström Bros

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a decent amount of off white head.

Smell is of Citrus hops. Grapefruit and orange with a hint of the piney oilyness.

Taste continues with the citrus with a bit of the pine on the finish. Malty sweetness also slightly present in the finish.

A very interesting twist on the IPA style with the Fresh hop trend.

Definitely one I would seek out in season.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I love this new craze of wet hopped beer. All of the big players are getting in on it and Founders stepped up to the plate.

The nose was fantastic and it spilled into the first portion of the taste. I was a tiny bit let down as the mouthfeel faded a little faster than I was hoping. For the wet hopped beers, I really think you can get away with a little higher ABV than this and really knock the palette with the hops. I think they would have benefited from some more early additions.

I kept taking deep breaths as I drank this beer to really enjoy the nose. Overall, I was pleased, but probably will drink some of the other wet beers I enjoy a bit more.

A side note - I refuse to rate appearance so every beer gets the same score as overall. Smell and taste are the only things that truly matter when rating a beer.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

An aggressive pour creates a large white foam crown that slowly recedes into a thin veil. The crown leaves very little lacing on the glass. The brew is a clear golden amber with a few columns of bubbles rising to the top.

The aroma is full of citrus and tropical fruits. I detect mango, pineapple and orange. There is also a mild sweetness to the aroma. I'm not sure if this is the malt or the hops that contribute to this aspect. It's probably the malt, but it contributes to the bouquet in a way that makes me think of ripened fruit.

The flavor provides mild bitterness from start to finish. The flavor is mostly bitter, with some malt character that is like slightly sweetened white bread. The bitterness is more like pines than fruits. The balance here is awesome.

The feel is light with some oils which barely coat the palate.

This is a great example of a fresh hop ale and one that I purchase every year. I finally decided to review. The nose is the best aspect of this beer. The fresh and bright aromas imparted by the hops are very attractive. I wish I could taste these same flavors as keenly as I'm able to smell them. However, this brew achieves excellent balance. I highly recommend Founders Harvest Ale.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice, golden-yellow color with a bit of haze. Small, white head that floats thinly across the top of the beer and leaves pretty good lacing along the side of the glass. The smell is hoppy as hell, but noticeably different from dry-hopped beers. This hop smell is more "pure" - more floral, weedy, and nature-esque. Slight citrus notes are present in the background.

The taste is spot on - fresh, wet, floral hops, heavy on the weeds. As I kept drinking, I kept thinking of a freshly cut lawn with morning dew all over it. The taste and smell of these hops are just so fresh, it's really something special. It's like taking a hop and just sucking on it. Some warmth in the background and just a touch of spice to keep things interesting. Lots of carbonation and a medium body with some slight stickiness.

This was my first wet-hopped beer and I was pleasantly surprised. The difference between dry and wet hops is quite noticeable. Both similar, yet very different tastes. I enjoyed how fresh and pure this beer tasted - definitely a treat. I would like to get my hands on some more of this beer.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Adam for this fresh bottle! Poured in to Founders tulip.

A - Pale straw yellow; translucent. One finger of off-white head.

S - Fresh and pungent hop aroma up front. Grapefruit, pine, orange zest. A fairly prominent sweet caramel malt presence in the background.

T - A big assertive bitterness up front with plenty of pine, grapefruit, tangerine and hints of melon. A fairly big sweet caramel malt backbone provides a decent balance. A dry, bitter finish.

M - Medium body, creamy. Full of resinous hop oils coat the tongue with each sip.

O - A very fresh and vibrant wet hop IPA, but a little too malty for me.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%