Founders Harvest Ale - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Harvest AleFounders Harvest Ale

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: granger10 on 10-24-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Harvest Ale Alström Bros
3.26/5  rDev -23.7%

Foggy, orange brew. White cloudy fluffy head. Lacing is on the rim only.

Crisp, yet unrefined aroma. Soapy, musty, and apricot.

Very wet, moist, crisp, bitter yet sweet. It hits the tongue in a odd way.. It doesn't finish clean or crisp. Very average flavors; nothing amazing or earth moving.

Very dry from the hops and doesn't excite too much. I'll take an Odell.

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Deep orange in body with white bubbly head that stays on top. Aroma of oranges and cream, grass, pineapple, and pine. Flavors of big citrus, grass, pine, mint, and a whitewash of booze with sour rind aftertaste. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The booze is a bit much and holds the beer back.

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

This is a very average beer coming out of Founders Brewery. I have generally found this brewery to be of excellent quality.

This is a so-so seasonal brew. I wouldn't go out of my way or trade for it, but it's not bad. There are a few other Octoberfest style beers that I like better this year (Weyerbacher, Victory).

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I look forward to getting my hands on this beer every year. Unfortunately, this really doesn't live up to the greatness of past years. It truly deserved the hype. The fresh hop presence is subdued this time around. It's pleasant, but this is a very expensive beer in my parts. I'd take the far less costly fresh hop SN Celebration this year (it's excellent) over Founders even if Founders were the same price! Disappointed.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

On-tap at the Distillery in Savannah, GA on 12/11/10

A - Clear gold with a fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing and good retention.
S - Crisp grapefruit and pine resin dominate with a minimal malt backbone. Very herbal and fresh.
T - Very resinous with heaps of pineapple and grapefruit. Pretty good, but it's not my favorite hop profile in the world. The pine resin gets to be a bit much for me, as does the sweetness.
M - Medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Smooth and just a bit sticky.
D - I had no problem drinking the one I ordered, but I wouldn't order another one. I'm glad I tried it, as I enjoy most Founders brews, but if I want a good fresh-hopped beer, I'll look for a Celebration.

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Founders Harvest Ale
Fresh hop ale (APA - AIPA in my opinion)
6.5% ABV, 70 IBUs

Must have been bottled a couple weeks ago but the date in unintelligible like most date stamps on Founders beers. Fail. Poured into a generic pint glass.

Much lighter colored than other pale ales, the color of Harvest is somewhere between a pilsner and the usual pale: true amber color with a rather small but dense and creamy head. The head retention is fine; minimal lacing.

Tropical fruit and mowed lawn in aroma, this one is late hopped and dry hopped. I suppose this hop profile is getting too pedestrian though and I really don't see the appeal of "wet" hopping. Fairly similar to your typical west coast pale/IPA I say.

Taste is nice... restrained malts with plenty of hop flavor and bitterness. Drinks way thinner than an average pale ale but I am content. Reaffirms by belief in Upper Midwestern pale ales. Daisy Cutter, Zombie Dust, and now this. The bitterness, although not over the top, is certainly assertive and lingering and the finish is dry. A fine beer but too bad it cannot be sessioned. My yardstick might be biased but this is my opinion... if Town Hall can cram a boatload of hops in a 4-5% ABV beer, why not others?

3.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: Pours an effervescent, deep yellow body with a lush, foamy (and lasting) white head.

Smell: Soapy, citric-smelling hop aroma with notes of tropical citrus fruits.

Taste: You don't get more than a pinch of malts before the hops kick in with tropical fruity flavors and bittersweet ruby red grapefruit juice. Moderate bitterness with a citric sting that lasts into the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A decent beer, just notr my favorite of the harvest ales.

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (355ml) bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Bottled 10/03/13
Served in a pint glass

The liquid poured a completely clear, medium amber color and was topped by a frothy, two-plus finger tall, off-white crown. Sheets of sudsy lacing coated the glass and stuck around long after the beer was finished.

The aroma was amazingly hoppy. Fruity and pleasantly sweet. Tropical fruit notes dominated. Mango, pineapple and passion fruit came through strongest. Dank, weed-like notes were also quite noticeable. Some orange peel appeared as well.

The flavor profile was drastically different from the aroma. Like the nose, it too was super hoppy and bright. In this case, however, the hops were incredibly dry and bitter, and much more one-dimensional. Intense notes of grapefruit pith completely overwhelmed the palate. The finish was super piney and bitter. The oily, resinous hops were relentless and gave my tongue a real lashing.

The mouthfeel was quite thin for the style. This felt a lot more like a thinner-bodied pale ale than a typical IPA. The liquid was slightly creamy and contained a fine, mellow effervescence.

I often find that most breweries who produce a wet hopped beer feel the need to make it so hop-centric that the bitterness becomes more a focus than the actual hop flavor. Founders Harvest Ale is unfortunately no exception to this. If they could perhaps dial up the malts and create more balance and body in the beer, this could be fantastic.

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle in a DFH pint glass.

A - A very light straw colored ale with good clarity. The white head is huge (too much in fact) even with the gentlest pour. Nice lacing.

S - A very floral and fruity aroma. Some spice as well.

T - Heavy on the hops and light on the malt (which as a concept is perfectly fine with me). The hops are mostly floral and grassy with very little citrus or bitterness. I thought the flavor was pretty good but I found it too dry.

M - Way too much carbonation for my taste. A bit on the thin side too.

D - With the exception of the carbonation, I found it enjoyable. I had high hopes for this one but I didn't think it was worthwhile; especially at $10 / 4 pack. I could get a Stone or Lagunitas IPAs for less.

Bottle courtesy of Demitriustown
Pours cloudy orange with a bright white medium sized head. Smell is sweet orange and caramelly malt with a lively citrusy and fresh hop character. Taste is a bit of a muted, dull, malt with a citrusy orange like hop character. Mouthfeel was about average, and neither thin nor thick. Pleasant and mild hop flavor and bitterness overall. Nice, but I'm unable to tell that this is a fresh hop beer, and don't get that spicy, tingly hop flavor I get in some others. Still, a quality beer that I really enjoyed and am glad I got to try. Thanks for the awesome bonus, Andrew!

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz. stubby bottle with a cool looking up close drawing of a heart shaped hop bud. Off to the left and right of the bumpy heart shaped hop bud is where you'll find all the mandatory US information. It's on the small neck label where you can find the IBU level (70) and the ABV % (6.5%).

As soon as I poured this beer into my Bell's pint glass, up rises like a cloud of smoke one fluffy 2 inch pure white head of foam. This cotton white head of foam had great retention that left behind small blots of lace and a 1/4 of an inch milky white film. Under this white film was a hazy and bright lemon meringue yellow colored beer. This beer was so damn hazy that I couldn't even see the shadows of my fingers on the other end of the glass. It's one of those beers that you have to see to believe.

The hops in the aroma had that wet tea leaf aroma to them. The hops weren't all that bitter or sweet. Backing up the wet hops was a splash of lemon peel and the scent of sweet grapefruit. There was no sign of the malt backbone in the aroma. Did it need the malt backbone? It could have helped.

This beer started off crispy with a touch of lemon and then the hops kicked in. These hops were mildly hoppy and of the citrus variety. This hoppy taste didn't last all that long and then the hops gave way to the sweet grapefruit. I hate to say it, but that was it for the taste. There was no sign of the malts in the taste either. Did the taste need the malts? Like the aroma, it could have helped.

This was a medium bodied APA with crispy carbonation and a mild hoppy aftertaste of citrus hops and a gentle touch of lemon peel.

Because this beer had "Founders" on the label, I had high hopes for this beer. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but a little more hops would do this beer justice.

Founders Harvest Ale from Founders Brewing Company