Founders Frangelic Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Stout
No picture uploaded.

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-30-2005)
Reviews by JDizzle:

JDizzle, Mar 04, 2013

tectactoe, Apr 23, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

supa0525, Apr 21, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -6%

notes from 12/7/10

Pours pitch black with 1/2 finger creamy head. Leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is all hazelnuts and coffee, but pleasantly so.

If you don't like hazelnuts, stay away. I like them, so the dominating hazelnut taste is fine with me. Coffee flavors follow, along with a but of hoppy bitterness on the finish. Overall, a very smooth tasty stout.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Almost a bit watery, but not distractingly so.

Overall, this is a very nice stout. Though I imagine that even for someone who likes coffee and hazelnuts as much as I do, a couple would probably be enough.

warnerry, Jul 05, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +12%

I choose this as my complementary pint at the Black Party.

Sizable thick, marshmallow-like mocha head which doesn't go anywhere while you drink. Really just gorgeous looking. The liquid is black with brown highlights when held up to the light.

Smells delicious! Hazelnut and coffee. The taste echoes the smell, but with subtle hints of tart cherries hovering in the background. The mouthfeel is thick yet very smooth. Quite quaffable.

My relationship with this brew is kind of funny. I first tried it when I had only been drinking good beer for about a month (and consequently knew absolutely nothing about it). I hated Frangelic Stout. This beer is the reason I decided that I "hated stouts"... a year and a half (and a lot of research) later, this is by far my favorite stout. Until after I tried a bunch of other stouts could I recognize the true genius of this beer. This brew is very flavorful, without being forceful. It's just a nice, easy to enjoy brew. I love the hazelnut flavor now! Anyway, just another lesson in how much a person can learn if they apply themselves. This kind of story is why I didn't start writing reviews until I felt I had enough experience, and a developed-enough palate to do a decent job at it. Well, anyway, thank you again, Founders! I owe so much of my beer education to you!

sarahspat, Apr 23, 2009

GRG1313, Nov 27, 2011

DrewSimm, Jan 11, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Current ABV is listed at 4.8

Frangelic Stout is on a nitro-tap, and the appearance of this beer is excellent...a thick white head, perfect stout black colouration, very appealing to look at. The smell of this one lets you know that the Frangelica is present, because it's a hazelnut bomb with some slight roasty notes on the side.

The flavour is pretty much what one would expect given the components: the backbone of the beer is a smooth, creamy stout with some subdued roast tones, while the Frangelica coffee controls most of the flavour with a strong hazelnut tone. I find the pairing enjoyable but not amazing, if you really like hazelnut coffee, this is a must try though.

The mouthfeel on this, above average, trending toward good. It's creamy and full, enjoyable. Drinkability is the only place where I really have to knock this beer, and it's the same reason why I would knock the rating on hazelnut coffee if I was rating coffee at CoffeeAdvocate.com, it's abrasive on the stomach and tastebuds if you have more than one.

Frangelic Stout is a nice stout offering by Founders. Personally, I would never have more than one in an evening, but it's a good change of pace, and fits the winter months well.

CortexBomb, Jan 30, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

spark3148857, May 28, 2013
4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz pour on 18 April 2014 at the Founder's Taproom in GR.

A: Pitch black, small creamy head. Almost no lacing.

S: Light aroma of hazelnut, complemented by a very subdued coffee and roasted malt note.

T: Hazelnut is prominent in the flavor, dominant really. Coffee flavors follow the hazelnut, with a nice stout maltiness. A very light hoppiness bitter at the finish.

M: Light with a very smooth, almost negligible carbonation. Felt watery.

O: One of the best stouts I've ever had, and the hazelnut flavor was amazing. Coffee, vanilla, chocolate, are all popular in stout, why not hazelnut. The aroma and flavor was a nice backdrop and makes this a very tasty and enjoyable beer. Not a session beer, but extraordinarily enjoyable nonetheless.

Badger6, Apr 19, 2014

Rohkey, Apr 22, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -6%

Served up an inky blackish brown with the medium tan head still cascading from the nitro pour. As one might expect, this beer has a very creamy head with great retention and coating lace.

I love anything hazelnut, so I derive much happiness from the aroma of this beer. It smells like hazelnut coffee with perhaps a hint of dark brown sugar and a touch of chalk.

The flavor is not quite as hazelnut laden, with more of the roasty coffee notes coming through. It tastes an awful lot like a freshly made Guinness clone that has been spiked with hazelnut coffee. It does have a bit of a molasses thing going on though, and that gives it a nice little boost. It's pretty darn good, but maybe a bit less nuanced than I had hoped for.

The body is fairly thin, but with a silky smooth texture. This beer seems to just slide right down your throat, and combined with the low ABV this contributes to the glass emptying at an alarming rate. Hazelnut coffee is the main flavor in the finish, but I find that any sort of aftertaste is actually pretty nominal.

This beer is super drinkable and very sessionable. I would definitely have it again, yet I feel a little bit disappointed at the same time. This would be a perfect choice for a hazelnut lover who wants to through a few back without getting sloppy.

zoso1967, Jan 02, 2011

Zaphog, Dec 29, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

On nitro draft at Founders. Pours a dark brown, near black on the pour. Very nice, inch big, cascading head. Smell is all hazelnut espresso and I love it. There's even more in the taste. If you're not into hazelnut, this maybe tough for you, but I'm totally digging it. Very smooth and creamy from the nitro tap. Perfect cold night beer.

FtownThrowDown, Feb 28, 2009

ackeeper, May 21, 2013

ROBSTARR, Jan 13, 2013

BEERschlitz, Jul 03, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

buiter, Jul 02, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap at the brewery -- December 29, 2010.

Pours a hazy dark brown color with a really hefty nitro-derived head with some really amazing retention time and quite a bit of lacing as it goes down. On the initial whiff of this I was already upset that it was on nitro and I wouldn't be able to grab a growler. Strong notes of coffee and hazelnut. Wow. A bit of chocolate and roast there as well. Can't get enough of the coffee and hazelnut, which headed straight into the taste, though that was a bit more roasty and similar to the base beer without the sweetness of the nose. The mouthfeel was really nice and smooth. Drinkability is through the roof. Hands down the best oatmeal stout I've ever had.

Thorpe429, Jan 02, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

I had this on nitro yesterday at the West Mich BA gathering. Pours a dark, creamy looking color with brown around the sides. Nice foaming head with a bit of stickyness. Decent lacing. Aroma really gets screwed by the nitro but I got a good amount of coffee and nuts in here. Hazelnut coffee seems to be the main ingredient but it's not near as intense as one might suspect. It kind of sits on the tongue while cocoa and vanilla swirl all around. Quite a treat, seems almost like a nice post dinner drink. Smooth and creamy as well. Some beers were made for nitro and this is one of them.

granger10, Jan 30, 2005