1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Frangelic Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Frangelic Stout
No picture uploaded.

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-30-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 59 | Reviews: 18 | Show All Ratings:
hophunter

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

appearance- I don't believe it was nitro but the light brown head lasted all the way to the end with lacing all the way. rich dark color.

smell- phenomenal. right away you get a great coffee smell with a darker...caramel molasses smell. mild hop aroma but still present. no boozy smell.

taste- smooth, creamy, hazelnut coffee with out the bad bitter aftertaste. dark, molasses and hops.

mouthfeel- smooth but not flat. crisp and effervescent.

drinkability- I look forward to frangelic every year. I would love this in a bomber because at 4.2% I could have one all to myself.

had this on nitro-tap last year and it was frangelic +10

11-17-2010 03:22:21 | More by hophunter
sarahspat

4.68/5  rDev +13%

I choose this as my complementary pint at the Black Party.

Sizable thick, marshmallow-like mocha head which doesn't go anywhere while you drink. Really just gorgeous looking. The liquid is black with brown highlights when held up to the light.

Smells delicious! Hazelnut and coffee. The taste echoes the smell, but with subtle hints of tart cherries hovering in the background. The mouthfeel is thick yet very smooth. Quite quaffable.

My relationship with this brew is kind of funny. I first tried it when I had only been drinking good beer for about a month (and consequently knew absolutely nothing about it). I hated Frangelic Stout. This beer is the reason I decided that I "hated stouts"... a year and a half (and a lot of research) later, this is by far my favorite stout. Until after I tried a bunch of other stouts could I recognize the true genius of this beer. This brew is very flavorful, without being forceful. It's just a nice, easy to enjoy brew. I love the hazelnut flavor now! Anyway, just another lesson in how much a person can learn if they apply themselves. This kind of story is why I didn't start writing reviews until I felt I had enough experience, and a developed-enough palate to do a decent job at it. Well, anyway, thank you again, Founders! I owe so much of my beer education to you!

04-23-2009 23:46:57 | More by sarahspat
Seahorse

2.1/5  rDev -49.3%

If you are a drinker of Stouts,and like Founder's mainstay Stouts, then this will be a disappointment. I had a draft at Founder's on Sat. and was immediately regretting my decision. Should have stuck with what I know Canadian Breakfast Stout, Oatmeal Stout or KBS. Very nutty with a weak taste slightly like a watered down Guiness. Definetly a stout for beginners who like hazelnut coffee. Traded my wife for her Pale Ale. She hates Stouts but said this was a "good" one. Ordered a Oatmeal Stout next to get the taste out of my mouth.

04-06-2009 01:47:07 | More by Seahorse
Smittysguinness

4.43/5  rDev +7%

I just had this beer on tap a few days ago on a business excursion to Grand Rapids. Amazing stuff.

It poured a deep black with that nice off-white head you'd expect. The head didn't stick around long, but left a decent off-white lacing.

The smell blew me away. Hazelnut coffee, all the way. The Frangelica in this beer was powerful enough that any sweetness from the malts were masked by the hazelnut. The roasted coffee notes shone through pretty powerfully too.

The taste was almsot exactly like the scent, though a little sweetness from the malts contributed maybe a bit of a toasted marshmallow to the hazelnut coffee theme. It was huge, and incredible.

Medium body to the beer, not too oily. Big alcohol bite to it at 10% abv as well. Well done beer from one of my favorite breweries.

02-24-2006 22:15:27 | More by Smittysguinness
kylelenk

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Served at tap-room. Nitro.

A-Nice a black. Like guinness, white head.

S-Nice mellow coffee tones mixed with malt on the nose.

T-Probably one of my favorite taproom specialties. Much better then Cream of the Rock Milk Stout and Oatmeal Stout. I generally like nitro-stouts though. This has a nice coffee flavor profile much like Frangelic Mountain Brown.

M-Nitro mouthfeel. Creamy with a thick base.

O-Once again, haven't seen it in a few years but one of my favorites.

12-06-2012 21:21:58 | More by kylelenk
warnerry

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

notes from 12/7/10

Pours pitch black with 1/2 finger creamy head. Leaves minimal lacing.

Smell is all hazelnuts and coffee, but pleasantly so.

If you don't like hazelnuts, stay away. I like them, so the dominating hazelnut taste is fine with me. Coffee flavors follow, along with a but of hoppy bitterness on the finish. Overall, a very smooth tasty stout.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Almost a bit watery, but not distractingly so.

Overall, this is a very nice stout. Though I imagine that even for someone who likes coffee and hazelnuts as much as I do, a couple would probably be enough.

07-05-2011 20:29:15 | More by warnerry
zoso1967

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Served up an inky blackish brown with the medium tan head still cascading from the nitro pour. As one might expect, this beer has a very creamy head with great retention and coating lace.

I love anything hazelnut, so I derive much happiness from the aroma of this beer. It smells like hazelnut coffee with perhaps a hint of dark brown sugar and a touch of chalk.

The flavor is not quite as hazelnut laden, with more of the roasty coffee notes coming through. It tastes an awful lot like a freshly made Guinness clone that has been spiked with hazelnut coffee. It does have a bit of a molasses thing going on though, and that gives it a nice little boost. It's pretty darn good, but maybe a bit less nuanced than I had hoped for.

The body is fairly thin, but with a silky smooth texture. This beer seems to just slide right down your throat, and combined with the low ABV this contributes to the glass emptying at an alarming rate. Hazelnut coffee is the main flavor in the finish, but I find that any sort of aftertaste is actually pretty nominal.

This beer is super drinkable and very sessionable. I would definitely have it again, yet I feel a little bit disappointed at the same time. This would be a perfect choice for a hazelnut lover who wants to through a few back without getting sloppy.

01-02-2011 15:55:36 | More by zoso1967
Thorpe429

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at the brewery -- December 29, 2010.

Pours a hazy dark brown color with a really hefty nitro-derived head with some really amazing retention time and quite a bit of lacing as it goes down. On the initial whiff of this I was already upset that it was on nitro and I wouldn't be able to grab a growler. Strong notes of coffee and hazelnut. Wow. A bit of chocolate and roast there as well. Can't get enough of the coffee and hazelnut, which headed straight into the taste, though that was a bit more roasty and similar to the base beer without the sweetness of the nose. The mouthfeel was really nice and smooth. Drinkability is through the roof. Hands down the best oatmeal stout I've ever had.

01-02-2011 03:25:13 | More by Thorpe429
cadaugherty

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had at Founders on Nitro Tap- served in a pint glass

Appearance- Rich black pour with a huge tan nitro head that lasted the whole was. Great lacing.

Aroma- Roasted coffee, hazelnut (the work of the frangellico I assume), a touch of malt sweetness.

Taste- Coffee, Hazelnut, Chocolate, hint of vanilla. A slight roasty character as it warms up.

Mouth- It is a bit thin and I usually am not a fan of nitro taps on stouts but the planets must have aligned today or mercury was in retrograde because for some reason I liked the overall mouth on this beer.

Drink- Very easy to drink (again a little thin) I could just drink 4 pints back to back and have a lovely afternoon.

Personally I think it is a mistake to compare this 4.2% beer to FBS or KBS. It isn't meant to be like them and while it might be a touch thin it is a highly sessionable oatmeal stout with some great and unique flavors. Just my 2 cents.

12-31-2010 01:34:20 | More by cadaugherty
MDekker

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

On tap at Founders.

A: Amazing head from the nitro-tap - a solid finger of khaki-colored head formed of tiny bubbles. It was almost like whipped cream and a diminished version of it was left at the bottom of the glass when I finished. Totally black in color.

S: Like french toast and maple syrup. Some licorice and a little nutty.

T: Quite light as stouts from Founders go - some chocolate, coffee, and nutty again - not too sweet. Slightly burnt aftertaste.

M: The nitro-carbonation was so thin that you couldn't feel it, which left the overall feel a little watery. No real bite or thickness to it.

D: Really, a well-done low alcohol stout. It went down easily, and the nitro-tap was so interesting that I could see myself getting another someday.

04-25-2009 01:52:06 | More by MDekker
ndekke39

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on nitro tap at the Founder's brewpub. The sign says 4.8% ABV. Pours an opaque black with a beautiful foamy tan head. Really crazy lacing, with those wonderful smooth bubbles from a nitro-tap. Smells nutty, woody, a little bit of charcoal. Tastes of bitter chocolate and espresso. Hints of burnt toast. Mouthfeel is lighter than I expected; maybe that's the nitro at work. Not the best of Founder's stouts, but interesting nonetheless and worth a try.

04-16-2009 17:32:17 | More by ndekke39
FtownThrowDown

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

On nitro draft at Founders. Pours a dark brown, near black on the pour. Very nice, inch big, cascading head. Smell is all hazelnut espresso and I love it. There's even more in the taste. If you're not into hazelnut, this maybe tough for you, but I'm totally digging it. Very smooth and creamy from the nitro tap. Perfect cold night beer.

02-28-2009 19:10:06 | More by FtownThrowDown
HopHottie

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Frangelic Stout is a nitro-tap, and the appearance of this beer is out of this world! A great stout black color. The smell is of hazelnut with a chocolate . It was very hard for me to resist drinking it quickly. I did enjoy it slowly gazing at the color, feeling it dance on my tounge as I slowly sip. The mouth feel was of silk, slipping through my lip and into my pallet. It was though the beer was telling me to relax and take it slow. It is possible to have one or even maybe two of these.
I would recommend more just because it is a heavier beer and does fill you up. This would be a great beer for desert or even just because you finished that hard day at work.

If you do enjoy coffee like I do, You will enjoy the call of the hazelnut; don’t resist her sweet song.

10-26-2007 19:08:12 | More by HopHottie
adammills

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a typical dark stout color with a great dense nitro head wheich is thick and very creamy. The smell is lessed by the nitro head in my opinion. The taste is out of this world. Awesome hazelnut flavor with chocolate. Incredible creamy, very easy to drink. Low in alcohol so it is a real sessionable beer. Rather light but still within style. Excellent.

02-28-2007 12:36:31 | More by adammills
CortexBomb

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Current ABV is listed at 4.8

Frangelic Stout is on a nitro-tap, and the appearance of this beer is excellent...a thick white head, perfect stout black colouration, very appealing to look at. The smell of this one lets you know that the Frangelica is present, because it's a hazelnut bomb with some slight roasty notes on the side.

The flavour is pretty much what one would expect given the components: the backbone of the beer is a smooth, creamy stout with some subdued roast tones, while the Frangelica coffee controls most of the flavour with a strong hazelnut tone. I find the pairing enjoyable but not amazing, if you really like hazelnut coffee, this is a must try though.

The mouthfeel on this, above average, trending toward good. It's creamy and full, enjoyable. Drinkability is the only place where I really have to knock this beer, and it's the same reason why I would knock the rating on hazelnut coffee if I was rating coffee at CoffeeAdvocate.com, it's abrasive on the stomach and tastebuds if you have more than one.

Frangelic Stout is a nice stout offering by Founders. Personally, I would never have more than one in an evening, but it's a good change of pace, and fits the winter months well.

01-30-2007 16:52:01 | More by CortexBomb
chilidog

4.43/5  rDev +7%

I had the pleasure at the West Michigan BA Crawl to try this limited edition at The Founders brewing co. Tap-room. Another BA ordered one and it looked so good, it was a gotta try. The 4.2% ABV made this a easy go for.
The appearance was outstanding!! After the pour the beer takes its time to settle as the nitro goes to work. It took at least three minutes for the beautiful, almost black brew to cascade. Only to invite a soft pillow-like off-white head. The lace was a great show in its self leaving a ring trail of every sip. Very cool.
The aroma was of vanilla bean, nut and roasted, toasted malts. The taste also carried the roasted notes with vanilla, cocoa and hazelnut coffee. A mild hop sneaks in the back.
The mouth does notice alittle nitro feel, but is left with smooth and creamy coat. The drinkability of this is also nice I think softening the sharp burnt taste often found with the smoothness of the sweet vanilla.
I don't think they would bottle this, but if they do, id order thisone by the case.

02-06-2005 13:49:32 | More by chilidog
granger10

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this on nitro yesterday at the West Mich BA gathering. Pours a dark, creamy looking color with brown around the sides. Nice foaming head with a bit of stickyness. Decent lacing. Aroma really gets screwed by the nitro but I got a good amount of coffee and nuts in here. Hazelnut coffee seems to be the main ingredient but it's not near as intense as one might suspect. It kind of sits on the tongue while cocoa and vanilla swirl all around. Quite a treat, seems almost like a nice post dinner drink. Smooth and creamy as well. Some beers were made for nitro and this is one of them.

01-30-2005 19:51:22 | More by granger10
Mitchster

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Limited edition nitro-tap stout apparently brewed either with Frangelico or some type of hazelnut extract.

Pours out to a clear, near black, forming a large, very creamy milky light-tan head with superior retention and lacing. One great looking beer! The lacing is wonderful, forming solid sheets and leaving a trail of every sip I've had. The aroma is wonderful...fresh vanilla beans, black walnut, hazelnut, mild roasted grains. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with a medium body. Taste begins with lightly sour vanilla bean and tons of hazelnut, followed by black walnut, a green vegetable note, mild floral hops, and followed by a "fake" coffee note, which is pretty damn good in this brew. Intense vanilla and hazelnut round out the finish with mild bittering hops and more of that green leafy herb note. Cleanly fermented.

Just another wonderful brew from Founder's. Great stuff. Nate and Jeremy continually impress me with their wonderful brews. Recommended if you can find it!

01-30-2005 15:37:20 | More by Mitchster