2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Imperial StoutFounders Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,914 | Reviews: 1,545 | Show All Ratings:
rsyberg01

S - Grey Label bottle, no purple except on the 4 pack holdster. Limited Edition printed on top of body label. According to BA notes, this means the beer I am drinking is from 2004 or earlier which is certainly a pleasant surprise considering I almost soiled myself with joy when I saw it sitting top shelf.

A - BLACK. I hope that my coffin is this black inside when I die, if so I will never wake up and even if I do I wont be able to get out because it is so damn black. You know with other Imperial stouts how you can kind of see a little light get through around the edges, well with this there is just black. Head pours to about an inch and 1/2 then to a tight bubble blanket of light brown tightly joined foam. Jiminy Flip Flappin Christmas this stuff is like syrup when it pours, extraordinary is the only word to describe this.

S - Chocolate hits first and hard, then follows through with a very nicely balanced roastiness and dark fruity vapors, I think its cherry and . Caramel and creaminess also make their way through too. A delicate hit of alcohol spices the nostrils up a bit. A sweet note comes through along with the caramel and chocolate and lingrs through the whole quaff. A seriously complex beer, such a perfect example of art in a bottle.

T - Fruitiness hits accompanied by chocolate and coffee. Creamy and roasty go hand in hand, the whole sip just blends so well together, one sip seems like 20. You just get to the whole taste over and over again in a single drink. A warming character hits you in your chest quite gently and pleasant. Little touch of bitter at the end to finish it until the next drink, Wow.

M - Just covers your whole mouth from tongue to tooth. Not slick or unpleasant at all, it holds on only as long as it needs to and then some just to tickle your mouth that much more. Not overwhelming at all. Perfect, period.

D - If I could have this beer in my fridge all the time, I would be a spoiled little bastard. This beer is a perfect Imp. Stout. When I say perfect I really mean it. My first overall 5.

09-30-2006 08:30:13 | More by rsyberg01
1fastz28

black as midnight with a big brown head that surpsingly laces quite well. the smell is very chocolately, lots of malt and especiallyi coffee dominate the nose. the taste is just incredible, one of the best stouts i've ever had, even has a slight sweet flavor to it, just an all around incredible beer. one of the few 5.0's i've given

01-03-2010 04:16:37 | More by 1fastz28
DrDemento456

A - Man I can honestly say this is motor oil in color. I have never been so certain in my life. Little head.
S - I can pick up malts of chocolate and molasses.
T - What a smooth chocolate taste! Very minimal coffee.
M - Creamy. Loved how sipping smooth this beer was.
D - I would drink this again and again. Can't wait to see it cheaper like the rest of the world since it's 4.25 a bottle here. I would gladly pay 10 dollar for a four pack and have no problems saving a couple.

03-03-2010 01:46:18 | More by DrDemento456
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

Black beer all the way with a little tan head. Smells of malts and chocolate. The taste is the same as the smell. Mouthful goes pretty much the same smooth and chocolatly and very strong like chocolate liquor. Drinkabilty. This one had me buzzing after 1 beer do to its abv, but its worth the money for this beer. Why pay for chocolate liquor when you can have founders imperial stout for a reasonable price!!!

03-25-2011 02:49:36 | More by yuenglingfan101
9InchNails

One of the employees, Zack, at Boonton Wine and Liquor Outlet got this brew from the back room for me. Let's see if it's worth it.

As I poured it into my snifter, it looked like engine oil. Creamy dark brown head fades slightly into a creamy ring around the glass. While sitting for about five minutes the creamy mocha-like head formed and came back leaving excellent lacing on the glass.

Roasted coffee, caramel, big time milk and dark chocolate, sweet smelling and charred sugar. Dark fruits and some alcohol become noticeable as it warms.

Wow! Roasted coffee, dark fruits, caramel, chocolate both sweet and bitter, brown sugar, slight alcohol detection and smoke. This is absolutely incredible.

Medium to thick body, silky smooth, leaves the lips sticky, dry at the end, slight alcohol warmth going down and light carbonation. This is definitely a sipper and the body changes as it warms.

This is honestly the first stout, or any beer I have rated perfectly. Simply incredible. I can't imagine how this would taste on tap. Thanks Zack!

02-02-2012 09:03:39 | More by 9InchNails
barleywinefiend

Washington

A: Poured a nice rich deep brown/black with good carbonation leaving a nce brown, frothy cap

S: Dark chocolate, milk chocoate and a nice roaste dmalt with a light hint of coffee and oatmeal

T: Wow. Nice rich milk chocolate upfront with some dark chocolate, a bit of booze mixed with roasted malts, oatmeal and some light pine resin. Delicously decadent, a FBS minus the big coffee. The finish is so smooth and easy to down.

M: Big, rich full bodied and down right fantastic. Loads of flavor, booze is well hidden behind the massive flavor

O: Outstanding in every aspect!

04-07-2012 19:41:34 | More by barleywinefiend
Deltrus

Serving Type: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders Brewing Company Snifter, all 12 oz.

Appearance: Perhaps the darkest of dark black beers, this was a phenomenal sight, there was no blacker abyss I've ever had. The head was a lovely dark dark tan, leaving superb lacing, and lasting the majority of the hour I spent drinking this.

Smell: Lots of malt and barley with a little alcohol, what I've come to expect from Imperial stouts, especially of the Russian variation. Absolutely superb to smell, could sit there just smelling it for ages. Very pleasant, the snifter most certainly did its job to bring the smell to the front!

Taste: Absolutely wonderful! I've had a few other Russian Imperial Stouts before, but this one tasted the most refined. The flavor was very malty and barley with alcohol not being so prominent, which I really respected, the flavor and smell went together perfectly. The smell did not leave anything being wanted and the taste didn't shock me with anything I didn't expect, it was an extremely comfortable beer to drink, and not too strong in any sense. Loved this one.

Mouthfeel: Silk. Absolute silk. This was so smooth I just couldn't help but metaphorically swoon for this beer. Drinking this was truly, a pleasure.

Overall: Absolutely superb beer. Easily among my very very top beers. Out of nearly 100 beers tried, this is definitely somewhere within my top 10, likely top 5 for being so perfect in every respect. DEFINITELY worth every penny and I hope to get more sometime!

01-14-2013 02:55:50 | More by Deltrus
DesertRat

the fist imperial stout I enjoyed was Old Rasputin, I actually like this beer better than Old Rasputin. The only other imperial stout that competes is the seasonal Sierra Nevada Narwal. I really enjoy this beer any time.

What I like most about this beer is how fresh it always tastes. It has a distinct flavor amongst a long list of high caliber imperial stouts.

01-20-2013 02:21:20 | More by DesertRat
EyeOfBuck

Thick toasted Carmel, almost like the best toasted marshmallow you have ever had in your life. The sweetness of the beer disguises the alcohol you will soon be filling. I have drank a lot of imperial stouts and this is in my top three! I suggest you shares four pack with someone who likes good ale at a time when you can truly enjoy this great beer!

07-21-2013 21:20:12 | More by EyeOfBuck
martyl1000

Wisconsin

10/24/13

I'm making special note that this four-pack is 10 months old, as the Founder's release schedule for "Imperial Stout" is January.

This one has tipped the scales. It has cracked my Top-5 list of all-time favorites. (Actually, I don't know how I can talk in such hyperbole, when only two weeks ago I declared the same about Mikkeller Black Hole. But that was $14 for an 11-oz. bottle, so I'm sure I NEEDED to like that one a lot.)

Second-blackest beer I've seen this year (after Dark Horse Reserve Special Black). Pours into a tulip glass with a chocolate meringue-like brown head that leaves lacing plastered on the glass.

Dark chocolate and burnt coffee in the nose, first. Then a cascade of stone fruit, especially overripe cherry and black plum. Boozy vapor cuts the sweet.

I just the other day had their Founders Porter on tap, and am now struck by the particular roasted coffee flavor in the mouth, here. Except of course this comes with an undergirding of sweetness to replace the bright/tart hop bitterness in the porter. The massive corn-syrupy, fruit-cake and pecan flavors remind me of Southern Tier Mokha, another of my favorite double stouts. The alcohol politely makes itself known on the backend.
---
2/23/14
I come to this beer today with doubts, as I'd been sorely disappointed a couple months ago after spending $10 on a 10 oz. pour of it at Coopers Tavern (Madison). I don't know how to account for that discouraging experience. Was it something I ate? Was it emotion: was it my reluctance to support businesses that overcharge for beer?

Whatever. This brew today renews my faith in my tastebuds. I'm thrilled to have brought home two four-packs just now. It's freaking awesome. One 4-pk. is going in the cellar. The other down my gullet.

02-23-2014 18:45:59 | More by martyl1000
dpgoblejr

New Hampshire

Poured the beer, thick like molasses and oh so dark black in color, into a snifter around 55-60 degrees. Everything quickly got better as the beer approached room temperature. Beautiful mocha colored 1/2inch thick head that did quickly retreat with some lacing. The aroma was quite alluring with hints of chocolate, toffee, maybe roast, and some hints of vanilla. Taste was to die for; coffee, fudge, bittersweet chocolate, and fruits. Thick and smooth with a velvet creamy mouthfeel on the palate. Founders, again, has impressed me with one of their brews. Truly one of the best imperial stouts out there; in my opinion. Highly recommend this one!

03-03-2014 01:45:37 | More by dpgoblejr
Tenor

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Pardon my limited vocabulary!

A- Voluptuously thick, viscous, syrupy, lacing that does not stay around too long...

S- Toasty, medium roasted coffee, just a faint astringency

T- Russian Imperial Stouts have a common character that causes my senses to have to re-calibrate! There is coffee, chocolate, and some hops but the balance is done so well that I have a hard time differentiating much.

M- Chewy, quite a bite at the end

O- I don;t think this is a beginner's beer! Definitely one to aspire to, however. So much is going on here, I can't wait to enjoy another one.

03-18-2014 04:09:59 | More by Tenor
boralyl

Oregon

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

2010 vintage. Served at 50F in a tulip glass.

A - Produces a 1/4 inch of dark brown head that fades pretty quickly but leaves a thick ring of lace. The beer is black and completely opaque.

S - The aroma of this beer is off the charts. I can smell it from a mile away. There is sweet chocolate paired with roasted malts. It's all melded together very well. No hint of the 10.5% alcohol contained within.

M - Full in body with light carbonation. Extremely creamy and silky smooth, coats the inside of your mouth.

T - Molasses and dark chocolate make their appearance first followed by a warming alcohol flavor that grows before being overtaken by a roasty, coffee like bitterness that lasts into the aftertaste.

An absolutely outstanding imperial stout. There are so many other imperial stouts that get hyped up that fall below the level of this beer. I wish I would have found out about this one sooner, will definitely be re-visiting it again.

02-12-2011 02:30:56 | More by boralyl
TheHopfather

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

bottled 12/09/10
poured into snifter

A- jet black.. very very minimal head. Looks like engine oil. Would like a little more head, but i love thick thick stouts so this excites me.

S- Absolutely amazing. I would swear this is barrel aged. Heavy heavy oak smell.. perplexing to say the least. I smell oak, heavy chocolate and vanilla, coffee and burnt wood. This smells better than any "un-barrel aged" stout I've ever had.

T- in one word.. "complex". I get tons of chocolate and oak. A bit of coffee and decent vanilla. Alcohol is an afterthought at 10.5%. Hard to beat even in competition with harder to get stouts.

M- Big bodied stout we have here. Exactly what i want in a stout.. thick and syrupy that coats the tongue. Perfect

D- This is a sipper as expected. With that in mind, the alcohol is extremely well hidden and this one drinks unbelievably smooth.

O- This one was about a year old and held up amazingly. The smoothness of this one is almost unreal. I recommend to buy this one up on sight and at the price point it may be hard to beat.

01-03-2012 02:53:14 | More by TheHopfather
mjshearer1

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Pitch, oily black with a thin, dark brown head.

S: Lots of roasted malts with a hint of booze.

T: Huge roasted character, almost coffee-like. Subtle hops at the end.

M: Thick and rich, low carbonation.

O: One of my all time favorite beers. Imperial Stouts rarely get better than this.

01-14-2013 22:04:51 | More by mjshearer1
nickapalooza86

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours.... Motor Oil, nuff said, finger of toffee colored head.

Smell is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, cappuchino, caramel and a bit of dark fruit!

Taste is just as an incredible, bitter chocolate, smokiness, caramel, sweet and bitter coffee both appear, finishes with a earthy hot bite and a wee bit of dark fruit in the back end.\

Mouthfeel is second to none for the style, full as full can be... Silky, mouth coating, with a soft carbonation. Really nice.

Well here it is, My favorite Founders Stout I have had... (yes I have had KBS and FBS).... But this reigns supreme.... What they do here with the mouthfeel makes it truely world class... If you have a chance to buy or trade for this, certainly do so!

01-25-2013 21:42:18 | More by nickapalooza86
erialbill

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Never considered myself a stout man but this beer changed my opinion of stout's. Was like drinking an extremely smooth dark chocolate/espresso milkshake. What a beer... maybe the best I have ever had. Poured thick with no immediate head but a nice 3/4 inch amber head formed at the top. Nice lacing on the glass. Honestly was sad to finish the glass now I am on a crazy search to find more. Great job Founders!

04-24-2013 14:31:52 | More by erialbill
BreakfastStout

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

So excited when the local store called to let me know the 2014 FIS was delivered today. Ran down there to pick up my 4 packs when they called. Pours black as oil from the bottle into my Founders Snifter. Excellent dark blackish brown head the subsides ever so slowly. Coffee, raisin, roasty, caramel notes dominate the nose. The first sip tells me I'm in for a treat. There's a lot of stuff going on here. This beer is incredible. Fantastic finish, with an incredible chewy mouth feel. I can't wait to see how this beer tastes with some age on it.

01-01-2014 01:13:36 | More by BreakfastStout
2Cents

Nebraska

Poured in a tulip.

A: As close to black as brown gets. It has a mocha colored head that doesn't stick around long, there''s some lacing and alcohol legs that throughout the trip.

S: Coco, dark chocolate, honey and nugget.

T: Like it smells with a little coffee. What ever bittering hop they're using in this, it doesn't clash with the malts, unlike quite a few American Imperial Stouts.

M. Thick and silky. Not to much of an alcohol sting, for a 10.5 % er.

O: I have been waiting along time for this brew to come town. And now it's here and at a beer-store 3 blocks away, a slippery slope if I ever saw one. This is probably the best Imperial stout, that hasn't been barrel aged, that I have tried, and that's a lot of them. Right now, if I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it would be this one.

01-15-2014 06:52:43 | More by 2Cents
gangstafaceclay

4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance is pitch black with no visibility through it and a thin tan head.

Smell is chocolate, coffee, a little bit of booze and roasted malts.

Taste is fantastic. Creamy chocolate, coffee, hints of Carmel, smokey-wood, roasted malts, and a bit of saltiness! It's great. The high ABV is pretty well hidden. Very complex and balanced!

Mouthfeel is very thick full bodied, creamy and smooth.

Overall, another nearly perfect stout by founders. They seem like they can do no wrong.

02-23-2014 22:11:14 | More by gangstafaceclay
UpToMeBeer

Colorado

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle. (Aged approximately one year).

Appearance: Black and thick, with a really dark brown head (about 1 finger that dissipated rapidly). A beautiful pour.

Smell: Chocolate, molasses, and coffee. A wondrous balance of aromas.

Taste: Dark fruit, chocolate, raisins, and coffee on the finish. Alcohol is present but not dominant.

Mouthfeel: Viscous with subtle bitterness. Coats the tongue and goes down smoothly.

Overall: Just heavenly. The best Imperial Stout I have yet found. No doubt the year of aging this bottle helped. First time I've ever tried this beer and would seek it out again.

12-27-2011 19:58:35 | More by UpToMeBeer
dafla67

snifter.

A: deep dark black; dark brown head.

S: roasted malts; chocolate and coffee.

T: oustanding. begin with the roasted malts and chocolate. Sweet throughout with almost no hint of alcohol.

M: very balance -- not one overpowering flavor; smooth and full-bodies.

O: one of my favorite RISs.

05-23-2012 03:49:06 | More by dafla67
MaineBrewing

Maine

4.93/5  rDev +12.8%

A - poured a thick silky pitch black with a thick brown head, around one finger. Reduced quickly but left a nice frothy cap, with some good lacing for such a high abv beer, does appear very viscous and thick when swirled.

S - big malt aromas, chocolate first, coffee, roasted malt, smokey. Hints of hop spicyness. Alcohol comes out as it warms, bringing with it some fruitiness.

T - taste is phenomenal, simply put. Big malt taste that is very chocolate forward, reminiscent of eating some dark chocolate. Lots of roastedness, a bit smokey, Some coffee notes. Finishes very bitter, and has a lingering roasted flavor that sticks to the palate. Best tasting RIS I've had.

M - Very very thick with smooth carbonation. I'm glad this finishes bitter and seems well attenuated, making the mouth feel very enjoyable.

O - overall would have to be the most enjoyable RIS experience I have had as of yet. To me this embodies the style and would be my benchmark for future examples of the style. This is just so smooth and well crafted, does not have a weak spot. Only smell got knocked from 5 for a slight sharpness due to the alcohol aroma and mouthfeel as well due to it being a little overly thick. I think with some age these attributes would each score a 5 for me if it becomes a tad less hot and the body thins slightly.

02-20-2013 02:33:39 | More by MaineBrewing
MarkBlackout

Indiana

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

I wasn't aware that Founders beers were available here in Indianapolis until today. I promptly picked up a 4-pack of their Imperial Stout.

Pours up beautifully with an agressive pour, a three-finger head which recedes with nice lacing to about a centimeter or so. Totally opaque. Smells roasty, alcoholic, rich. Foreboding!

The taste is sweeter than I expected, but at least as rich as the aroma. Some raisins on the side offset the sweetness a bit and allowed me to explore the bitter (more enjoyable, for me, as usual) aspects of this beer more closely. This palate adjustment increased my enjoyment of Founders Imperial Stout: I was less distracted, put off by the sweetness. Good brew.

===
original review (above) 5/22/05: new review 1/16/12

Scores were lower on original review. I wouldn't be shocked if they upped the ante on this and made it into an even better brew. This stuff is amazing; thick, and rich, and very drinkable. abv has a presence but not much, other than of course your brain's level of intoxication. This is my favorite IS and one of my favorite beers. Founders is the shit!

Addendum to new review: after reading other reviews: I was going to leave it to others to describe flavors, but I will say that tobacco, coffee, and cacao are all over this. Wars were fought for this stuff! With a four-pack you have enough to share. ;)

05-22-2005 03:06:26 | More by MarkBlackout
AlexJ

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Another mind-blowing product from a very respectable brewer. This beer pours like a madman. Deepest nightmare black, with a small, dense head of mocha froth that remains as a thin ring. Terrifyingly black, this is one of the thickest, viscous, quagmires of a beer that I have ever had the delight of laying my eyes upon.

Aroma is a sweet lullaby of smooth, roasty malts, melted milk chocolate, dark fermenting fruit, plums, dried mission figs, black Sambuca, well aged Port, and coffee liquor. BIG nose, very intense and complex. I'm IN!

A highly anticipated sip reveals a truley precious nectar. A creamy mudslide of amazing flavors tears across my tongue. Complex malt entry of scorched caramel, milk chocolate pudding, malted milk balls, and mocha. There's tons of sticky, booze-soaked dark fruit; plum, fig, bitter black cherry, and candied citron. It rounds out with a perfectly delicate hop finish with nuances of crushed Douglas Fir pine needles and dark, bitter herbal notes. There's a perfect distribution of charred malt and fragrant hop bitterness. 12% abv, really? This is UNbelievably smooth!

Body is quite possibly the biggest I've ever had...like a melted hot fudge sundae. It just glides across your mouth a creamy, buttery texture and a mouthfeel like liquified silk. So creamy and sinfully rich. There's no way that this 12 oz. bottle is less than 500 calories. Worth every one too! Killer delicious, but definately a one-beer-per-session type of beer. Unless you want to go into diabetic shock that is. I couldn't imagine a finer way to go.

03-11-2006 02:17:27 | More by AlexJ