Founders Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 01-13-2003

Ratings: 6,896 | Reviews: 1,780
3.33/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance- A thick, viscous elixir pours from the bottle and fills the glass like velvet. It's pitch black light a moonless night in the forest. Sinful is a word that comes to mind. No light gets through this beauty. A small cocoa colored half finger head dissipates quickly.

Smell- I get strong dark chocolate notes up front. Very sweet smelling. There's coffee, followed by that signature Stout roastiness. There's a faint hint of oak lurking beneath it all. Almost a whiff of cherries in there?

Taste- Coffee and deep dark chocolate notes lead off and it's quite pleasant but it trails off quickly into an unknown bitterness. It invites a second taste quickly. The roasty character is almost too strong on the second go and it starts to overpower quickly. I find myself wishing that some of the underlying malt and chocolate flavors could shine through.

Mouthfeel- Rich and sticking. It takes on the velvet quality here in the mouth just like in the pour. It sticks to the tongue and the chops.

Overall- A sweet, decently priced Imperial Stout with some slight balance issues? We can't all be perfect and this beer really shines everywhere else. I'm definitely more partial to the BS, and especially the KBS but this is an easy to obtain winner.

3.36/5  rDev -23.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Black, black, black very little dark tan head, but it leave a very nice ring around the glass thought out the session... Great lacing...Wonderful looking brew.

S: The normal Imperial Stout smells here... Chocolate and coffee with hints of dark cherry and malt... With a touch of bitterness... nice mixer of all.

T: I'm getting a strong coffee and alcohol mix.... the chocolate is a there but overwhelmed by the bitter coffee and alcohol. Little to hot for my taste.

M: Med to full bodied, with a sharpness, due to the bitterness... the finish is over all dry and a little chalky.

D: It is a 1 session beer, sip and enjoy. Gets better as it warms...

This is not my favorite Imperial Stout... this is my first Founders Brew, so I'm curious ... I'm up for more.

3.37/5  rDev -22.9%

This pours a deep, dark black, perfectly opaque. A thick brown head sits on top with some loose, clinging bubbles. Nice lacing and retention. Really a beauty. There isn't an abundance of smells. I get the feeling of carbonation in the nose, a smell of alcohol, with a faint whiff of roasted malts in the background. The taste hit me immediately as a bittersweet chocolate, then the alcohol took over. This one finishes kind of dry, with that taste of black patent erasing everything else behind. The only complaint is that it lacks complexity. I mean, there's plenty of flavor there, but I can't dig deep and search without finding the same stuff. The mouthfeel is oddly a bit thin, which may be a product of the dryness. It allows the alcohol to just pund your tongue - which brings me to drinkability. The attack on my tongue of the alcohol slowed me down quickly, and the feeling in my nose from the alcohol and sort of empty carbonation worked to do the same, but I still found this to be pleasant.

3.39/5  rDev -22.4%

Got this is Swansboro, NC at Harrika's Brew Haus. I was looking for some stouts to try. Didn't particularly like the 10.5% ABV on this one.

Poured into a glass, it looked great. Near black. I'm not into labels, but I personally thought the lablel made it look like a cheap beer.

Anyways, it does smell like coffee, maybe some chocolate, but mostly alcohol.

The taste was rather good. Nice blend of flavors. I thought that there may be a little too much carbonation, but that could be a result of the alcohol. I personally didn't appreciate the bitterness at the end, or the lack of a body.

3.39/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle poured into a tulip style glass.

A: like many Founders Beers, this looks awesome: deep, rich color and nice thick head (3/4 inch in my glass).

S: I'm not impressed by the smell; it's clearly rich, but not distinctive (their Scotch ale, by contrast, is interesting to smell); I smell all the things I probably should plus a whiff of alcohol.

T: It's a good stout, but I'll keep looking. There are rich oat and malt flavors to it, but the ABV actually makes it less appealing here.

M: Really nice carbonation and flavors make this a tasty beer to roll around in the mouth.

D: But I kept noticing the alcohol level, which is not a super sign for me. I would not turn one down, but at the usual Founders price, I will reach for their other products instead (like the Dirty Bastard).

3.41/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 2009 vintage 12oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip.

A: The best feature of this beer. Black as night with a bubbly brown head that recedes into a wispy mass and laces the side of the glass.

S: Iced coffee, some malts, and smoked beachwood. Maybe a little bit of black currants from the aging.

T: Meh. I don't think the aging did this beer any well. Acridly roasted coffee, no sense of sweetness, way too bitter (they should have made this about 70 IBU's). I do sense a little mellow nougat flavor as this warms up.

M: Perfect carbonation level to mask a rather thin RIS. Dry finish.

D: Not too shabby. Even though I didn't like the taste that much it was pretty easy to take down - maybe one good feature from the aging?

Overall, my least favorite from the Founders portfolio of beers I've sampled thus far.

3.41/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle: Bottled 12/15/2014 so it is less than a month old

Appearance: Oily black body. When pouring it came out as a viscous oily substance that I had to adjust my "pour stream" to prevent it from falling out of the glass. It's not necessarily good or bad, just noteworthy. There is a thin dark brown head that fades out rather quickly.

Aroma: The aroma is almost non-present. I pick up the scent of pure alcohol mixed with what smells like chocolate brownies. It probably sounds great, and it does smell good, but it's like smelling the pan that brownies were cooked in rather than the brownies themselves. It is the whisper of a ghost.

Taste: Fortunately that chocolate brownie aroma made it into the flavor. It is here and it is nice, but it is very faint. It tastes as if this beer has been aged for a very long time despite how young the "bottled on" date is. If you've ever aged a truly fresh beer you will know what I mean when I say that the flavors have melded and faded away from the foreground. The alcohol presence is gone which is fantastic. Nothing stands out in this, however in its subdued splendor it is enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: it is thick and coating like brownie batter. Lovely presence on the palate. It could not be better. It has very low carbonation and it works nicely with the nice thick body.

Overall: My overall experience with this beer is that I like it a lot and I would drink it again. Although it is fresh it tastes faded, but somehow it works. Was the beer aged extensively prior to bottling? I don't know. I would recommend drinking it "as is" and not aging it further. I would drink another bottle of it, but I probably wouldn't keep a sixer around.

3.42/5  rDev -21.7%

A--Pitch black with no highlights and about a half finger of head. A small amount of lacing is left behind.

S--Big roasted malts and caramel, coffee, and a little bit of chocolate and nuts. Citrus hops also present. There is a slight bourbon like booze scent that is barely in the background. Very pleasant overall.

T--Dominated by roasted malts and coffee bitterness. Earthy hops also are big and help make this one very bitter for a stout. This is not meant for the weak palate, that's for sure. The flavor profile really doesn't strike me the way that the nose did. Kind of like stale coffee and hops put in a blender. Still, its not horrible overall.

M--Medium bodied with a smooth creaminess that gets broken up on the back of the throat by the carbonation.

D--This one has tons of flavor, but it is not a flavor that makes me want to continuously reach for the glass. The 12 oz. bottle is more than enough, and since I can only find this in 4 packs I probably won't buy it again.

Don't get me wrong, this is an impressive beer, but it is not meant for my palate. I love coffee in my beer but unfortunately the coffee profile here is not very good and there are not enough other flavors to make up for it.

3.45/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

pours pitch black with a touch of brown head that falls quickly to nothing.

coffee, raisins, molasses, and a touch of soy sauce in the aroma. smells very sweet and dark, if that makes sense.

heavy but smooth mouthfeel with just a touch of carbonation. raisins and a vinous sweetness dominate the flavor with some coffee-like bitterness and alcohol. touch of soy sauce lines the throat and the finish, which along with the alcohol limit the drinkability.

3.46/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Black and totally opaque. Nice 1 finger tan head. The head fades fairly quickly into a swirly thin membrane with a nice collar.

S: Not as an intese of a smelling beer as I had expected. Smells fairly sweet, almost like peanut butter.

T/M: Something was missing here for me. This beer was quite a bit more bitter than I expected. It has a nutty/boozy flavor with hints of chocolate. Has a sticky feel and is slightly hot on the palate.

D: Alright, but doesn't really leave me yearning for more.

It was nice to try this beer, but I definatly prefer Goose Island's Night Stalker or Bell's Expedition over this beer.

3.46/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased around december 2009.decided to let them sit after the first one I tasted was a bit too intense for me, a big russian/imperial stout fan.

A:pours with one of the darkest heads I have ever seen. A nice head a little less than an inch forms after a vigorous pour. The head lightens a bit after sitting, to a very dark tan/singed paper color. Nice lacing left on the glass. Dark black beer.

S: dark malts,roasty, and a bit of chocolate and smoke.

T:semi-sweet and dark, chocolate, roasty bitterness similar to a coffee flavor, a little leather flavor maybe, then the smokiness comes in and takes over. There is a weird mix of bitter and smoky/burnt flavors on the end and throughout the aftertaste. The strongest smoke/burnt flavor I have encountered in an imperial stout and I'm not a big fan of it. It overpowers and just doesn't
do it for me here, would rather be tasting the chocolate and bitter flavors more.

M: thick and smooth. Very nice. Along with appearance, the best parts of the beer.

D: great mouthfeel and the abv isn't too apparent so that is good, however the odd bitter/burnt aftertaste doesn't do it for me. Would be a little lower but the glass is going down pretty quick despiter the smoky finish.

I really like fbs and kbs, cbs is up there too but the smokiness/ burnt bitterness of this beer just isnt somethin I can get into. Will be sitting on my last two for atleast a few more years in hopes that they turn into something I can enjoy more

3.48/5  rDev -20.4%

2012 release in a 12 oz bottle served in a pint glass. Plenty of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Small light brown head is short-lived but leaves spotty lacing on the glass. Thick, opaque, black-brown liquid.

An earthy barleywine-meets-stout aroma, with some of the ample ABV showing. Rich dark roasted malts with hints of coffee and dark chocolate, and a stronger impression of dark fruits. This profile is more or less repeated in the head, although the flavor is not exactly what the aroma portends: It is less sour, much more bitter, and less fruity. Very rich, with an over-the-top, strong flavor from dark malts, with enough hop load to contribute to the taste beyond just the substantial bittering (IBU = 90!). More coffee in both the nose and mouth, as well as improved flavor with warming.

Feel: light carbonation; smooth and very full body. Can feel the alcohol on the tongue, and in the warming on the way down.

O: an extreme beer. The sheer strength, relatively high bitterness, too much sourness, plus some hints of smoke and burnt malt make this beer a bit of a challenge. Not an attractive substitute for Breakfast Stout.

3.48/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a growler after visiting the brewery on the KBS release day. The beer pours as dark as oil with a 1/2 inch head that remains throughout. Also, it has good lacing even though my glass wasn't cleaned properly. The taste is dark chocolate and coffee. The alcohol is pretty well hidden and the aftertaste is not bad. Overall, it's another good offering from Founders, but not one of my favorites.

3.49/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours murky black with no head and then, a head appears. Some lacing throughout.

All the taste elements are here, but it seems disjointed and not in proportion. The boozy and vinous character stand out but they are too dominant. Hops seems to be in their as well. Again, everything is there, but it doesn't mix well.

Smells real good though.

03/29/11 - No freshness date on bottle

12oz to snifter

A: Black with a one finger deep cinnamon colored head - alcohol knocks the head down quickly, minimal amount of lacing.

S: Roasty/toasty meets bitter hops. Black malts, charred wood and perhaps a bit smokey. No mistaking there's alcohol present; there's a good bit of booze soaked chocolate.

T: Quite a bit more hops than I was expecting. Dark roasted/black malt with a quick sweet hit of molasses before the hops come over the top of it all. Good bite of alcohol shows itself midway thru and helps to offset things. An underlying dark chocolate/coffee ground dryness emerges and ends up closing things out.

M: Medium bodied for the style, but bold in flavor - alcohol is ever present and builds as you make your way thru the glass... Imperial for sure, it's a sipper.

O: Was initially taken back by the hops but got used to it quickly as the glass warmed. While the hops could be taken down a bit and the alcohol could be masked better; It's still good... just not sure I'd want more than one in a sitting.

*I've only had a few RIS so far (Smuttynose, Rasputin, Samuel Smith) so may need to revisit later.

Poured into a snifter on 5/14/10

Bottled on 11/27/09

On the pour I can see faint traces of scorched brown; once in the glass however, this beer is jet black. This actually has to be one of the most viscous beers I have poured. So thick, it was almost a drizzle. The head is solid two fingers of milk chocolate colored foam of small, densely situated bubbles. Reduced to about 25% retention after several minutes, it has left good lacing so far. Thin but good retention & spotty lace throughout.

Despite being a tad restrained the aroma is good. Licorice is notable upfront & quite prominent. Following are notes of sweet chocolate, roasted malts & hints of toffee. Maybe a spot of caramel & molasses. Not too much in the way of appreciable hops. A little booziness is also to be had.

This is a big, malty critter. Moderately sweet chocolate, caramel & licorice hit upfront, leading in to drier, roasted malts. It seems roasted coffee is a faint part of the equation. In any case, the finish is very dry. As with the nose, hops are minimal at best; not exactly a problem though. Come to think of it, hops may account for a portion of the bitterness that embodies the finish. Honestly though, something about the taste isn't quite working for me. Something is missing, possibly distinct burnt characteristics.

Very full bodied; this is a thick, chewy brew for sure. Carbonation is low; smooth & creamy, just like it should be. As mentioned above, the finish is very dry. Lots of roasted bitterness lingers on the finish for quite some time. At 10.5% abv, the alcohol is well-hidden.

Regardless of the fact that something about the taste doesn't fully jive with me, this is a really solid Imperial Stout. It's otherwise very impressive. More impressive is how easy of a drinker it is at the aforementioned abv. I would have no reservations about giving it another shot next time around, especially if I found it on draft. Don't let me discourage you from giving a try.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- dark black with very think tan head off the pour, nice appearance for the style

Smell- lots of coffee, some hops and roasted malts, not overwhelmed by the smell but not bad

Taste- Nice flavor but to me still a bit strong in the coffee department though not to level of their breakfast stout, alot of hoppy bitterness on this one this one with slight heat, balance not perfect but not bad

Mouthfeel- heavy with moderate carbonation

Drinkability- Decently drinkable though I truely was not ultra blown away by this stout by any means, just lacking that little something special that makes you really love a great stout, a good beer but not great

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a tumbler... looks like used motor oil. Black in color with no light showing when held up to light. Very little head despite an agressive pour. What little head was there disappears quickly

S- Smells like toasty malt, coffee, maybe some chocolate or cocoa, hint of alcohol

T- Malty sweet start, hint of plum, molasses and strong alcohol taste, with a hint of chocolate or cocoa

M- Pretty thick, syrupy with very little carbonation

D- It was tasty, though I don't think I could drink alot of it... I'd much rather be drinking the BS

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with thin tan head in Stone IRS tulip. Lots of lacing considering such a small head.

Smell is heavy with dark chocolate and coffee.

Taste is nice toasted malt and dark chocolate. Good coffee flavor in aftertaste. Much better than Breakfast Stout.
Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy. Full bodied. Not a lot of carbonation.

Overall this is a pleasant sipper.

2010 vintage

A: Inky black, coffee bean head.

S: Roasted malt, coffee, smoke, dark chocolate.

T: Dark chocolate and charred flavors at play with a little hop zing. Pure cocoa and black coffee in the finish with woody tannins, very bitter, a notable lack of sweetness. Mostly roasted characteristics.

M: Creamy, well carbed but not over carbed. The flavor profile does not call for "motor oil" as a descriptor, not enough residual sugars.

D: Good beer, but one and done.

3.55/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured into stem stout glass, appearance was little to no head. Head that was apparent was beautiful tan cream. Opaque color (black/brown). Smell had chocolate and coffee notes. Taste was much smokier than I had anticipated. Very boozy as well. Sifts in mouth extremely well, despite overwhelming character. Overall an above average beer that I see aging well.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Typical motor-oil black, big head and some lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, coffee/espresso, roasted malt, malts, some grapefruit hops, some random dark fruits

Taste: Chocolate, coffee/espresso, roasted malt, some grapefruit/pine hops

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as I expected for a RIS. Alcohol is noticable

Drinkability: Decent, was a little disappointed in this one, won't try it again - very ho-hum for a RIS.

Part of my darkness, dark lord, kate, sexual chocolate, RIS tasting, and near the bottom of the stack.

3.56/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Founders Imperial Stout 2011 Vintage (bottled 12/22/11). Acquired from the very generous Duff27 in a trade. Thanks again, buddy! 10.50% ABV confirmed. I love Founders, so I have high hopes for this one. I haven't had it before, but I loved KBS and FBS. 90 IBUs. Label art is okay. 12 fl oz/355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high given the brewery and style (which they seem to be adept at).

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm considerably over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger rich vibrant hold-tan head of fantastic cream and thickness, and pretty good (3 minute) retention for the high ABV. I love that gilded tan appearance; few imperial stouts can really pull that off. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque jet black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Nice lacing as the head recedes. That's exactly how an imperial stout should look.

Sm: Burnt malt, light fennel/licorice, creamy roasted barley, dark malts, chocolate, chocolate malt, and hints of light buried stonefruit. Light molasses. Malty sweetness. I can detect some light alcohol, but it's not a hot or boozy aroma; I can tell age may have done this one well. Coffee roast when I look for it. A surprisingly timid aroma of mere average strength. Understated, but I'd stop short of calling the aroma subtle per se. The fennel/licorice has me worried; I have a personal aversion to that flavour.

T: The first thing I notice is the black coffee bitterness and chocolate bitterness on the climax - which is more pronounced than expected, but welcome. It's more sweet in the first and early second acts. Chocolatey throughout - dark chocolate, not milk chocolate, though there is some cream up front. Little alcohol comes through at all; this isn't boozy or hot in any way. Maybe a twinge of licorice, but it doesn't bother me. I could use more roast - both in terms of barley and coffee, but there is some here. Burnt malt is prominent and works well. Dark malts abound. It's well put together and cohesive. A balanced Russian Imperial Stout, if a timid one. I want more depth of flavour than I'm getting, and each note doesn't ring distinct. Good amplitude, to be sure, but because the execution of the amplitude is so high, I have trouble really enjoying each distinct flavour. Any hop character is generic floral and functions here purely as a preservative. It's a rich flavour, but not overly so. The bitterness keeps the richness in check. Low acidity. Not at all a harsh flavour profile; it's quite mellow. Good body and build for the style. It's complex and well done, but I want bolder flavours. I quite like it and it's a tasty brew, but it's not perfect.

Mf: Warm and lightly creamy. Excellent carbonation. Not at all astringent. Good body here. It's smooth and wet. Thick and a bit chewy. Maybe a touch oily. Good presence on the palate. Complements the flavour profile well, even feeling a bit custom-tailored towards it. A bit smacky (if you will). I could use a touch more coarseness and dryness.

Dr: Drinkable for the style, but you wouldn't down it by the glass. It hides its ABV well and is an enjoyable sipper. It's a solid brew from Founders, but it's not quite on the level of KBS or even FBS, styles taken into consideration and all. I'd get it again and it's quite tasty, but it's not exemplary. A good Russian Imperial Stout that fans of the style will be pleased with, but it's not amongst the best out there. I'd recommend it to friends, but Founders does make better beers. I'll have little trouble finishing my bottle, but I do wish I had someone to split it with. Thanks again for the opportunity to try this, Duff27!

Low B

Probably best aged for 1-3 years.

Would pair well with chocolate or truffle.

3.6/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours black with a chocolate head. Aroma has some roast mixed with molasses, bakers chocolate, bread and a touch of anise. Flavor begins roasty with some molasses, mocha latte comes in towards the middle in transitions into a bakers chocolate with some char. A fuller, heavy mouthfeel. Overall, good beer but I wanted to like this more than I actually did. In the future, I will stick with Tenfidy when in the mood for a big RIS.

3.6/5  rDev -17.6%

Hmmmm... Can't believe (1) I haven't rated this and (2) it's such a bland experience for an RIS. Done get it. Moderate roast moderate coffee, little choc, and all this at 10% + ?????
Don't think I have stored badly but tastes past it which is a no-go at this ABV. !!!

Founders Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company