Founders Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Imperial StoutFounders Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: mjohn27603 on 01-13-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,680 | Reviews: 1,738
4.87/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temp. Very dark, one-finger head that dissipates fairly quickly but leaves beautiful lacing. Outstanding body for a non-BA stout. Thick and chewy, as it should be. I absolutely love this stout and the only thing holding it back for me is the slight smokiness that I would happily trade in for a touch more sweetness. I prefer this to the Breakfast Stout and am glad to see that the cellar is treating it well.

4.79/5  rDev +9.9%

3.55/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -7.8%

Solid baseline RIS, on par with Stone, and top 10 for sure.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/6/14.

Look: Pitch black with a small dark khaki head.

Smell: Not my strong suit as a reviewer. I get a lot of roast, a bit of dark fruit, and toffee. Alcohol is present as well.

Taste: Initially some burnt roast bitterness that quickly gives way to dark fruit and a bit of alcohol sweetness and coffee.

Feel: Silky, creamy, but just a bit too thin to be a 5/5 in my book. It does have a nice viscous feel on the tongue and goes down nicely.

So yeah, my first BA review. A 4.4/5 for me. I think with another few months, this will be INCREDIBLE. I'm not a big super roast guy, and that flavor seems to be on the out in favor of dark fruit, coffee, and toffee. Luckily, I have another few bottles in the cellar.

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Jet black with thin head.

Rich aroma of coffee, bitter roasted malt, dark chocolate and booze.

Taste is bitter dark chocolate, treacle, marmite, dark cherries, tobacco, charcoal and goodness knows what else. Its very complex and very flavourful but very well rounded and a pleasure taste.

Overall, a fantastic Russian Imperial stout.Hard to find and slighly pricey in the UK but well worth seeking out. Right up there with Founders Breakfast Stout and Yeti Imperial Stout as a world class beer of this style from our American friends.

94/100

4.52/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The first sip was wonderful, great. Wow this is good. The beer is smooth, heavy, chewy. Its world class. Nothing like it.

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.94/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance - 4/5
A small amount of chocolate-tan head which dissipates down to a ring around the edge of the glass. An extremely dark shade of purple when held up to bright light.--as dark as purple can be without being black. When held up to bright light, can also see a lot of large chunks floating around in the brew. Not sure if this is because my pour was off or what. Overall a good look, but not sure about the chunks of stuff in the beer. I don't mind drinking a beer with particles, but I think it lowers the aesthetic of the beer. I really like the color of the head.

Smell - 3.75/5
Very chocolately, slightly sweet, slightly alcoholic. Upon second sniff I get some slight fruit and hops flavors, along with a slightly strong alcoholic smell. The smell is okay, perhaps a little too alcoholic for my liking thought.

Taste - 4/5
Very roasty and smoky. Slightly sweet. Some chocolate and a fairly prominent alcohol taste. I like smoky beers, but I have to be in the mood. I'm sure totally sure if I'm in that mood right now, but I think the smokiness balances out with the sweetness and the alcohol flavor, such that none of these overall, but all work together in harmony. In other words, the taste is complex, which is good.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium body. Smooth, yet slightly bitter (90 IBUs). A light amount of medium-light intensity carbonation. I think the feel works well with the rest of the beer, and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Overall - 4/5
Overall this was a good brew, one I'm glad I tried. I'm not sure I would get it again, as there are a lot of other good Russian Imperials out there, and I don't think this one is my favorite. Still, worth a try. Quality Stuff

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.07/5  rDev -6.7%

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Pitch black appearance with a 1/2 finger head of dense, brown foam. Smells beautiful; chocolate, syrup, roasted malt, sugar, sasafrass, and smokey wood. Heavy weight, as expected of an imperial stout. Taste is pretty much on par with the smell; chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, sugar, and smokey wood. Oily mouthfeel with lingering hops and alcohol on the aftertaste.

This beer honestly reminds me a lot of FBS, only with a sharper alcohol bite on the back end. It's just as good, in my opinion. This one reminded me why imperial stouts are my favorite beers.

4.12/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company