Founders Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Imperial StoutFounders Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2005)

Reviewed from notes 1/24/2011

A: molasses, malts, sweet, a little bit of booziness

Ap: black with ½ finger mocha colored head, nice lacing

B/T: mid carbonation

Af; sweet, smooth, sticky roasted coffee

O: an overall good beer, but would choose KBS or breakfast stout over this one from Founders

Cheers
The CPJ

THECPJ, Feb 01, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Color: pours extremely dark brown, almost completely black with the smallest of dark brown rims. sits black with a two-finger, creamy brown/mocha head

Smell: very mellow chocolate and roasted malt in balance as well as some light alcohol presence

Taste: rich, roasted and slightly charred malt with just enough chocolate to round it out a bit. alcohol is only an ankle-biter here but comes through a little more in the finish, which is somewhat dry, lightly bitter and mostly roasted/charred malt with light chocolate notes

Mouthfeel: low carbonation. very full, chewy body

Notes: kick-ass stout. the burnt malt flavors are very welcome as they add character and invoke thoughts of malt and fire

Frosty80, Jan 31, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

2011 realease....Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a founder's snifter.

A- Black as night with a deep, mocha brown head. Large bubbles form on the side of the glass as the head disperses. Beautiful golden brown lacing.

S- Smells of roasted chocolate with a subtle coffee finish. Reminds me of a freshly baked fudge chocolate cake.

T- Perfect bittersweet dark chocolate blend. Hints of vanilla and toffee interspersed throughout the dominant roasted chocolate flavor. Tastes like the best chocolate cake money can buy sprinkled with a few coffee beans to balance this beauty.

M- Thick, chewy and smooth. A seemingly impossible combination that this beer manages to capture. Little to no carbonation.

D- It's a sipper that I would have no problem drinking two or three in one sitting. The smoothness and richness create a perfect balance. I wish this was available year round

dgugliuzza, Jan 30, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Poured pitch black with a three finger tan head that subsided to a half finger very very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark chocolate, and subtle alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, caramel, and slight alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this brew was quite excellent. The flavor was very nicely balanced and enjoyable. Both a great aroma and flavor going on here. For the alcohol content, this one is pretty easy drinking, so drink with caution. A must try without a doubt.

thagr81us, Jan 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Another beer given to be from Sideswipe. Thanks man.

Pours a deep black. This beer wouldn't give me a head no matter how hard I poured it. No lacing.

Aroma isnt much. Smells hot and boozy. Roasty.

The taste is awesome. I was worried for a min. Very smooth and sort of sweet. Nice and roasty with a bit of roasted caramel and sugars. Awesome.

Mouthfeel is great. Not too thick and great carb.

Overall I could drink more of this than other imperial stouts. I'll probably be trading for more of this in the future.

PeprSprYoFace, Jan 22, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well.... Looks like I made it to review 100, its been quite a journey and I figured I would celebrate this milestone by cracking something a little special. I picked up a four pack of this a couple weeks ago at a store I very rarely go to. I found this 4 pack sitting on the dark bottom shelf covered in dust. I have never seen this brew around before, so I figured I better give it a try. I asked the lady working there how old they were and she said they got them sometime in 2008. Poured from a stubby 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass. 08 vintage

A= I like the label on this beer, looks like a medieval crest. I know for sure this bottle is pretty old since it had a twist off cap, I have never had a founders that wasn't pry off. It made a nice pssst sound to let me know there was still some carbonation left in her. It poured a pitch black used motor oil color with a half of finger worth of brown head that died down to a super thin ring that left no lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty robust. Lots of heavy roasted grains that let some nice chocolate and coffee come through. I also pick up some molasses which makes the aroma a little on the sweet side.

T- As soon as I took my first sip I was hit with tons of sweet robust chocolate. In the middle I pick up some dark fruits and molasses that make the flavor just about as sweet as the aroma. All those flavors come together very nicely and well balanced. I can barely taste any alcohol in this beer, which makes it pretty deadly.

M- This a full bodied beer with ok carbonation, I know not to expect much carbonation in big stouts like this one especially aged ones.

D- This has to be the smoothest, easiest drinking Imperial Stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. It might be mainly impart to the age, but this beer is not boozy at all, in fact I can barely detect any alcohol.

Overall I thought this was a world class Imperial Stout and the best I have ever had. The flavors were incredible, as was just about everything else about this beer. Founders knocked it out of the park with this brew. I am glad I took the chance at that store and gave this beer a shot. I think age helped this beer out a lot, but I can't be sure since this was my first time trying it, but I will try one fresh when the new batch hits the shelfs, which should be shortly, I will edit it with my thoughts of it fresh. This is a kick ass beer that should be tried by every BA, and if you got the patience age them, you will not be disappointed. Founders is pretty much the king of stouts and one of the best brewery's in the USA.

EDIT- 1/30/12 I bought a fresh four pack this year and while the aged version was a little smoother, I found the mouthfeel and appearance were better so I adjusted the score because of that. This has to to be the best looking RIS I have had. I got three fingers worth of fluffy mocha head that left tons of lacing, this is the best looking RIS hands, as far as I am concerned this is the best RIS made in Michigan.

StoutHunter, Jan 21, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this RIS pours as dark as any with a thin dark tan head that would be much more impressive if it just was a little thicker and held on for a little bit more.

S: The aroma is heavy in roasted malt, some black molasses, and notes of chocolate.

T: The flavor is excellent. Don't know the difference between and RIS and an American Imperial Stout? Try this brew and a Founders Breakfast Stout side by side. Heavy amount of roasted malt backed up by a hop bitterness, molasses piled on top of notes of chocolate and maybe some liquorish.

MF: Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, full and almost perfect.

D: Drinkability at 10.5% is almost perfect.

Overall, this is the definition of what a RIS should be. Brews take notes, Founders is where it's at.

TKEbeerman, Jan 12, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Reviewed from notes made on 1/9/11. This was bottled in 11/09 and I had to hold the bottle right up to a light because the date had become so faded.

Whoa, this beer is so dark. This is right up there with the blackest stouts I've seen, if not the blackest. After a medium-hard pour into a snifter, a one and a half finger dark mocha head rests on top. There is some deep red color at the edges, but the body is quite opaque. Thick clumps of froth drip down the glass post-sip and leave small dots and swirly streaks of vertical lacing.

Roasted malts, espresso, bitter cocoa, molasses, vanilla - every aroma you could possibly want from a Russian Imperial Stout exists in the bouquet. When swirled, roasted malts and nuttiness take over the profile. Conversely, when at rest the coffee and chocolate aromas dominate. Way back in the bouquet are some dark fruit scents.

The flavor brings big time roast notes at first, with anise and molasses supporting. As the beer mellows over my tongue, bitter chocolate, espresso, and creamy vanilla coat, followed by a roasty malt and earthy hop finish. Throughout the sip, there is certain acidity that complements the roasted flavors.

The mouthfeel is rather forward and biting at times. The acidity makes for a puckering feel for the whole sip, while a creamy medium to full body takes the reins in the middle. The finish is quite dry and does a nice job of cleaning my palate.

Founders IS is a delicious slow-sipper and is a damn fine interpretation of the style. The taste is maybe just a tad bitter and acidic, but is also big, bold, and flavorful. This is one of which I will always pick up a four pack each year it comes out and enjoy the bottles over the course of time.

TCHopCraver, Jan 11, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle - Purchased January 2009 - Two years old as I pour it into a snifter...

Pours thick and viscous, black. The extreme edges show a tiny bit of dark red/brown when held to the light, otherwise, this is an opaque beer. A very thin cap of dark tan head forms and quickly recedes, leaving a ring of haze behind...

Very rich smelling, sweet chocolate with hints of vanilla as well. Slightly roasted with faint hints of brewed coffee. Smell remains sweet overall, finishing with a warm booziness...

Slightly sweet, powerful dark chocolate dominates the flavor. Becomes slightly roasted in the middle, but the sweetness comes back out with loads of molasses and touches of vanilla. Finish has a strong alcohol bite while also being strongly bitter, aftertaste rivals the strongest west coast IPA's, hops definitely play a role here...

Full bodied, not quite as heavy as expected, but still a thick, creamy beer. Low carbonation makes this beer slick. A lingering bitterness and moderate alcohol heat in the aftertaste...

It's been a while since I've had a fresh Founders Imperial Stout, but I don't remember liking it near this much. 2 years seems like a great time to drink this beer...

hawks10, Jan 07, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Received as part of my Secret Santa box thanks to pwoods; thanks Patrick! Bottle in from January 2009.

a - Pours a jet black color with two inches of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Tiny bit of lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of cocoa, sweet chocolate, caramel malts, roasted malts, sweet fruit, and some sugar or molasses. A lot sweeter than I was expecting but I really like it a lot.

t - Tastes of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malts, vanilla, dark fruits, molasses again, and very very light alcohol. Again, very good.

m - Full body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Great mouthfeel.

d - A really great RIS; I loved this beer. I thought the nose was amazing and the taste was almost as good. It also had a great body. Would love to have this again.

mdfb79, Dec 30, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From notes:

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest trace of lighter color when held to a light source and a 1.5 finger frothy mocha colored head. Decent retention, quickly fading to a lasting ring that leaves spots of lacing behind.

Dark roasted aroma with lots of silky dark chocolate character as well as hints of roasted coffee/espresso bean, oatmeal, nut, toffee burnt toast and alcohol sweetness.

Chewy full body with a deep roasted malt flavor. There is a huge silky chocolate and roasted coffee bean presence that is balanced vry nicely by a lactic cream character. I'm also picking up hints of toast, toffee, hazelnut, oatmeal and slight dark fruit. This beer is very comlex and the well masked ABV makes this dangerously drinkable. Slightly bittertowars the end of the palate with a bone dry finish and slight alcohol warmth. Excellent!

corby112, Dec 28, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 year old bottle. Been waiting to see how this tastes with a little age on it.

Pours so beautifully... thick, black as hell, and an enormous frothy head that lingers for a long time. Aroma suggests deep and rich roasty chocolate, dark caramel, bit of earthiness, touch of leather.

The flavors are so well integrated it is difficult to tease them apart. Licorice, light roast coffee, some dark dried fruits - fig maybe? Notable for the lack of harsh, charred flavors. Finishes with just the right amount of bitterness to provide a drying finish, like a aftertaste on a piece of bittersweet chocolate. Slightest alcohol warming on the back of the throat, but hard to imagine that it's 10%. Mouthfeel is moderately sticky with med-low carbonation. Not quite creamy, but very smooth.

I'm not even a big fan of imperial stouts, but I can drink this every day. Intensely deliciously, and absurdly underrated, as I like it much better than Breakfast Stout.

celeriac, Dec 15, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

The bottle pours deep black into a pint glass, producing about a finger of persistent brown head. This eventually fades, leaving some nice lacing.

Smells of roasted malts and chocolate. Just a bit boozy in the nose, as well.

The flavors are deep, dark, and very roasty. Rich, smoky malts dominate, with bitter chocolate notes and a hint of coffee.

This beer is smooth and thick. The high ABV is detectable, but not overwhelming.

Pellinore1, Dec 14, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled in 09

Purchased through West Lakeview Liquors, Chicago, Ill.

Price - $13.99/4-pack

It's cold as hell out there today and I needed to come home to a winter warmer and this was on the menu.

Appearance: Pours heavy with lots of body and plenty dark. A chocolate brownie colored head forms but quickly fades to bubbles clinging to the sides. Quite viscous like warm syrup on flap jacks. Little to no carbonation.

Smell: Aroma consists of milk chocolate, molasses, licorice and dark fruits.

Taste: A thick coating of burnt chocolate and caramel covers the tongue followed by some hop bitterness. A delicious experience.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, silky and dangerously smooth. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Mildly bitter and dry in the finish. Holy shit this is smooth.

Drinkability: A couple of these in one night is plenty to warm the bones on a chilly night. A great representation of the style and available without camping out in line.

05Harley, Dec 10, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled on 11/21/09. Drinking thanks to Alewatcher.

A: Dark as it gets..no light getting through this one. Amazing dark mocha head.

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, sweetness..maybe just a little vanilla. No noticable alcohol.

T: Excellent! Get exactly what the nose lead you to believe. Chocolate, malty sweetness..bottle lists 90IBUs so I'm guess that's leading to some of the bitterness present. Molasses, mocha in the aftertaste.

M: Nice mouthfeel. Velvety smooth.

D: At 10.50%, this is an amazingly drinkable stout. I imagine a year in the bottle helps mellow it out. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes a little more present, but not in an unpleasant manner. Could easily drink drink two of these in a sitting...three might test my threshold though.

I've never been disappointed by a Founders beer and their Imperial Stout keeps the streak alive. Jeff, thanks again.

titosupertramp, Dec 08, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours like a black motor oil - I have seen this from Founders before. Tightly wound 2 cm coffee colored head that sticks around for a while before fading. I did not see much lace decorating the glass.

Smell: The aroma jumps out of the glass into my nose. Roasted, chocolate, and black malt, obviously. Coffee, chocolate, and molasses fill out the aroma. Not much, if any hop aroma.

Taste: Founders just does an awesome job with their stouts. Smooth flavor throughout - starts with roasted and chocolate malt, coffee and chocolate flavors, and a hint of molasses. By the end I get a coffee bitterness really seizing control, but not much hoppiness. Still a strong roasted presence.

Mouthfeel: Ultimately creamy, the carbonation is almost squeezed out by the full body. Sticky on the lips.

Drinkability: In a night of drinking some new and interesting beers, this one stood our for its quality.

KickInTheChalice, Dec 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6%

The 09..First time in a long time. I chucked it vehemently into my tulip, the brown bubbly swooshing and rising high, violently spewing fusel alcohol into the sky like smoke rising from an awakened volcano.
Big alcohol aromas, chocolate, raisins, a little pine and earthiness. Enormous character.
The alcohol is massive, singing the gums and tongue with heat. Raisins and chocolate provide some soothing presence but the hop bitterness is apparent, and also, apparently, also very angry.
The burn is nice, one glass though should be about all I need for the night.
Impressive, definitely could've sat another 3 years and been outstanding.

dragonWhale, Nov 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

This one is about 1-2 years old.

A - Solid black wit ha small creamy mocha head. Spotty lacing left behind.

S - Dark roasted malts, milk chocolate, espresso. Some soy sauce notes present from the age but in a good way.

T - Roasted malt, espresso, dark chocolate, slight hoppy bitterness. Hints of tobacco and leather.

M - Full body, slick, a bit oily. A nice sipper.

D - Tasty

brewcrew76, Nov 22, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Aroma of coffee, caramel, malt, and smoke. Pours a dark black color with a chocolate tan soapy head. Sweet up front, bitters and chocolate on the back end. Very tasty. The smoke is always a turn off for me. But if I get past the smoke, this beer is a very tasty stout.

chalsk, Nov 22, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Inky black crude pours to a small brown head. Alcohol feet are kicking.

Smells is roasted malts, a bit of dark chocolate, dark fruits and espresso. There may be a hint of alcohol, but it's just a hint if at all.

This is pretty much an taste-gasm. Bitter, dark chocolate covered, alcohol soaked raisins. Roasted, smoky malts. It's bitter. Sort of a coffee/chocolate bitter, but mostly I'm getting a lot of them 90 IBUs.

Full bodied, chewy, no carbonation. This thing is thick, but not quite Ten Fidy thick.

I would drink multiples of this, despite not being in my best interest.

EgadBananas, Nov 11, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -12.8%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel tulip

A: Dark black (?). No light coming through this beer what so ever. Dark brown mocha head, one fingers worth that left little to no lacing.

S: Super dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, oak and molasses.

T: Blend of roasted malts, dark chocolate and sweetness makes this very enjoyable. Sweetness up front, bitterness in the finish.

M: Full/heavy bodied. Alcohol hidden very well.

D: Could see myself drinking this at home next to a fire after a long day on the hill in the dead of winter. Alcohol is a little high to drink more then 2 of these in a session without getting fairly buzzed.

Great tasting beer, but there is much better.

CaptainTripps, Nov 06, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

A - A seriously thick, viscous syrup poured out from the bottle, and even after a relatively hard pour of the last half of the body, it only built about a 1.5-finger, dark mocha colored head. Head leaves just about as fast as it arrives, and doesn't leave much at all in its wake. Lacing is fantastic as you can still see the crest of the head even when the beer is nearly killed.

S - Contrary to other Russian Imperial Stouts, this one actually doesn't smell like a coffee bomb. Rather, I'm getting tons of bitter chocolates and sweet, sweet malts. There is a bit of coffee, but it is quite subdued and there's not much of a roasted quality to it. Smells fairly bitter as a result of the chocolate, and I finally get some alcohol at the end of the smell.

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. Definitely more chocolate up front than lots of coffee, and it has a thick, bread-like characteristic too that adds a lot to the body. It's interesting, it's really sweet as a result of the wide variety of malts, but it's also very bitter in the finish. Getting a bit of vanilla and roasted oat as well.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy with little carbonation. Very thick and heavy, but also quite creamy and smooth. Adequately coats the mouth in the final bitterness.

D - Drinkability is moderate to high. Given the thickness when first pouring, I thought this would've been a mighty sipper, but it drinks much easier than I would've thought due to the high chocolate flavor and creamy body. High ABV and bitterness keeps this from being a day-long beer, and the style reserves itself for a cold, winter night.

nhindian, Nov 06, 2010

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed 03/24/2010

Pitch black body. There is no chance that light is going to break the surface. Two finger cinnamon colored head set atop recedes rather quickly. A respectable amount of scattered lacing is left clinging to the snifter.

Aroma is full dark chocolate and French roasted coffee. The darker edge is softened a bit by a vanilla aroma. Subtle hints of licorice and molasses scattered through out.

The flavors is a testament of Founders craftmanship. The blending of deep roasted flavors with a subtle sweetness is masterful. Bitterness from the roasted malt brings to mind dark chocolate and well roasted java. Smooth layers of vanilla keep the darker flavors in check. A bit of booze is noted though FIS never becomes terribly hot.

Full bodied Imperial Stout with a very creamy texture. Carbonation is low but spot on for the style. The flavor coats the mouth making for a long finish.

One of the best Imperial Stouts available. Certainly deserving comparisons with Expedition Stout and Ten Fidy as one of the top tier. Tremendously drinkable, outstanding beer.

kzoobrew, Oct 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a snifter.

A - about as good as it gets with an imperial stout! Pitch black with a nice dark brown head on top.

S - coffee, vanilla, bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, oak.

T - all of the nose but surprisingly balanced. No one flavor is dominant. It has that Founders stout taste, meaning I can definitely detect hints of the KBS and BS (or maybe it's the other way around) and I love it.

M - extremely smooth and a nice array of flavors on the palate.

D - the only thing that would stop me from drinking this one is the 10.5% ABV, which is basically undetectable, so I guess I'd eventually just pass out.

I really, really wish Founders were available here.

GabrielM, Oct 29, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Poure from a 12 oz bottle a jet black almost oil appearance with a tight thin tan head. Smells of chocolate cofee and roasted grain. The taste is just what you would expect from an impy stout. Roasted malt bitter up front with a bite of coffee and a smoother roasted malt and chocolate and an alchohol burn to finish. This beer is super smooth and creamy not overly biting and a very balanced carbonation. Drinkability is higher than you would imagine for a 10 percent beer that being said more than a few and you would be swimming.

rpardon7, Oct 28, 2010