Founders Imperial Stout - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Imperial StoutFounders Imperial Stout

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2005)
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Founders RIS is dark brown, almost black, with a modest brown head that fades to a skin. The aroma is alcohol first and coffee second. The taste of this stout reminds me a lot of Bell's Expedition (with I admit, I've underrated), strong coffee, bitter chocolate and boozy. Feel is extremely viscous, heavily bodied, oily and with low carbonation. It would be tough to claim this is highly drinkable with the high ABV and a heavy as it is.

An excellent stout, it has it all.

I'm not really big on combining beers, but somehow, I feel compelled to mix this half and half with Bigfoot barleywine. Unfortunately, I don't have any Bigfoot around or I'd do it tonight. I will let you know how it was when I do.

kegger22, Dec 15, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

This is a great looking stout. Opaque and black with three fingers worth of cinnamon colored head, even leaving a generous amount of lacing for a high abv RIS.

A strong and robust mix of dark roast espresso, dark chocolate, and a hint of root beer.

The taste is very deep and while there's nothing out of the ordinary for an RIS, everything is extremely well pronounced and distinct. Both the coffee and chocolate are dark, the former heavily roasted. The finish is bitter coffee.

Thick and chewy mouthfeel, dry towards the end. I needed a glass of water to restore moisture to my mouth afterwards. The alcohol is not well hidden, but for 10.5% abv isn't overbearing.

Good drinkability but as usual with a stout, heavy in the stomach like eating a loaf of bread.

This ranks up there with the best of them in this category.

Vonerichs, Dec 15, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Pours and opaque black, can't get any darker than this. About a finger of head, maybe a little more that is dark brown. Nice lacing as this is sticking to the entire glass.

S- Roasted malts slightly overpowered by the smell of alcohol, certainly not unappetizing though. A dark chocolate aroma tends to sneak through before being squashed out by the malt and alcohol.

T- The roasted malts jump around for around a couple of seconds before a dark chocolate bitterness kicks it of the way. The alcohol taste is hidden initially, but towards the end of the beer it leaps out almost unexpectedly and sticks to the palate for quite a long time.

M- Very chewy and thick with a smooth carbonation that makes this a smooth the entire way down.

D- The lingering taste of alcohol in this beer is the only real thing detracting from the drinkability. If you look past that and understand it is something to be expected out of a bigger beer, then this beer will be one you keep reaching for.

Lolli1315, Dec 14, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

This one bad-ass stout, and yet another great offering from Founders. Pour is from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is thick and viscous and looks like motor oil; starts with a one finger dark brown head that fades to a thin skim with a thicker ring around the surface; body is entirely opaque and black; thick portions of lacing hold on to the sides.

Smell: Quite smokey and "thick" smelling; deep dark roasty malts; slight chocolate and a slight whiff of alcohol. The smell is very strong and just pouring out of the glass.

Taste: Huge mouthful of robust flavors -- very smokey; deep bitter-sweet chocolatey aspect; definite roastiness and coffe-esque flavors; there's a definite presence of alcohol in it and it comes across a bit like bourbon and a little warm.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, very much as it should be; a little gritty; a little sticky on the roof of the mouth; mouth, throat and belly are left quite warm.

Drinkability: Moderate - love the strong and robust flavors and the smells to match; like a meal unto itself; too heavy and the ABV is too high for too much of it; I think this would have to be amazing with some age on it and I'm considering starting a vertical.

bamadog, Dec 13, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a deep black into a snifter. Thin, mocha colored head that clings to the glass when swirled; oily residue & dot effect.

Creamy aroma of dark roasted malt, kaluha, & pine. The booze dances around the nostrils along with coffee.

Smooth and silky on the tongue leads to woody, dark coffee, molasses malt, and an avalanche of piney-acidic hops & alcohol. The mouth feels dry and I sm left with a boozy burn.

This thing is a sipper from start to finish. A very tasty and complex beer that really packs a punch. I plan to age a couple bottles and see what happens when the hops mellow out.

jdoncbus, Dec 13, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

I'm reviewing beer number two of the four pack - poured from the bottle to a standard pint.

Brown on the pour, deep black in the glass, with a half-fingers' worth of foam - not as heady as I might hope. Delicate lacing follows each drink.

Big malts, like a melting pot of chocolate, some coffee, dark toffee, and a bit of smoke - that's a great smell this time of year. ("These are a few of my favorite things.")

Crisp and dark roast coffee-like bitter, this is truly one-of-a-kind. Just a bit of alcohol peeks through toward the end, but hardly noticable.

Wet and a bit sticky, it settles in at the back of the mouth, taking up office for many minutes. Recycling the taste in the mouth is as simple as inhaling and exhaling through the nose. Enjoyable to just sit back and circulate.

Easily drinkable, but I'd suggest doing so at a relatively slow pace, given that there's nothing small about this beer, especially if you're working on a bomber.

mdcrouser, Dec 12, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours into a Darkness snifter a thick and jet black color with one-finger brown head that leave a fair amount of lace.

Tons of coffee, subtle hops and some banana. Bitter chocolate as well.

Rich as expected with lots of chocolate malt, hints of coffee, nice hop bittering.

Full bodied, silky smooth with some creaminess to it.

This is just a straight forward, nothing fancy RIS and it's done to near perfection. For the price, I can't think of a RIS that is of higher quality. Not real shocking from the same brewery as KBS and Breakfast Stout. Great RIS.

jera1350, Dec 12, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

I am on drinking my second now, YES

Appearance - very dark brown, very thick

Smell - Smells like sweet coffee and some type of christmas candy in a glass

Taste - I expected it to be bitter, but it is smooth.

Mouth-feel - smooth and creamy

Drink ability - too easy to drink, but watch it I'm on number 2 and I'm feeling it.

ma121606, Dec 11, 2009

12oz. bottle served into a Gulden Draak tulip

Pours a super-dark brown. You can tell that it isn't quite black when you look down into the glass; the edges are clearly a lighter shade of brown than the middle of the body. You can see the edges when looking straight down into the glass because there is nearly no head on this pour. It spiked at half a finger and then leveled off to the tracest of rings. The foam is an interesting color though. It's one of the darkest heads I've ever seen; the caramelized color of it as as dark as some malty beer styles' non-foam bodies! As I drink I notice that there is actual lacing going on, which is always a plus.

Right up front you get the chocolate. I am reminded of the cocoa nibs used in Breakfast Stout only strengthened in intensity. There is a small amount of generic coffee coming off of the roasted malts. Delicately rising up out of the glass is a black currant aroma. I was expecting more of a dark fruits kind of thing, but am pleasantly surprised with this black currant/wild berries thing it has going on. I'm kind of getting oats too; I don't know if any oats were used in the malt profile but it smells like it.

The most noticeable aspect of this imperial stout is its remarkable fruit character. The flavors of black currant and boysenberry are so powerful yet well-crafted. Their sweetness melds wonderfully with the flavors of 60% cacao dark chocolate and toasted pecan. As the beer warms I can make out the restrained presence of leafy bittering hops.

The mouthfeel is insane on this beer! Its sort of medium-thick, by which I mean that it gives you the pleasure of a thickness in the mouth but at the same time it isn't so thick as to prohibit extended drinking. To the beer's credit, this is comes in 12oz. bottles. Founders Imperial Stout is absolutely good enough of to have two bottles of in a sitting (which would only be two more ounces than the standard 22oz. bomber). Given that the style is limited in drinkability I feel comfortable giving this one a 4.5 when rating to style. This is pretty damn drinkable, 10.5% ABV or no.

As far as readily-available seasonal Impy Stouts go, Founders Imperial Stout is every bit the beer that Bell's Expedition Stout is. Do yourself the favor of buying a four-pack of this while you still can. I was expecting a solid stout but I didn't expect something as delicious as this. A treat.

Reaper16, Dec 11, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours a rich thick black with a bubbly, moderately sized, dark tan head. Good sized lacing on the glass.

S - Rich chocolate smell with sweet roasted malts and coffee

T - Wow, again with the rich big chocolate, like a bittersweet cocoa powder. Sweet roasted malts and roasted coffee. This time, the taste really hits you. Very powerful stuff. Nothing subtle about this one, a lot more defined then the smell.

M - Moderate carbonation, nice and smooth, creamy, velvety. But also. quite thick!

D - Quite an exceptional example of style with in your face flavors. This one was almost a year old I think, so hopefully it's as good as this one was when it's fresh.

mikedashg, Dec 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a snifter,more or less black. nice almost brown head.smells like dark chocolate,coffee,black cherries,dark fruit.

taste is incredibly rich,some dark cherry flavor upfront,big coffee and dark chocolate flavors,somewhat sweet, follows through,finishes with some coffee like acridity. this beer has more coffee acridity than most other beers,but it is nice.

incredibly rich mouthfeel,just super thick.i almost have to scrape my tongue off after each sip.great beer.

wyattshotmaker, Dec 08, 2009
4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Piraat glass.

Appearance is dark...black and very opaque. There is a nice creamy tan head, about half a finger, sitting on top.

The aroma is quite sweet...smells of sweet brown sugar, molasses, wheat bread, caramel, dark chocolate, and vanilla.

The taste is good...hints of vanilla in the background, and molasses. These give way to some serious chocolate notes. There are some spices in there, as well. Cinnamon, nutmeg. I absolutely love the dark, bittersweet roasted coffee notes in this beer. This, combined with the other flavors here, make this a wonderful treat for the palate--balanced, intense, and delicious.

Overall, this is a solid Imperial Stout...one I've grown quite fond of. I'm glad this has been put back into Founders's rotation. It has some excellent flavor, and great body.

movingtrain, Dec 08, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

One of my favorite Imperial Stouts will make this night better. This pours black as the dark winter night. Smells like chocolate, roast, creamyness, and hops. Tastes like it smells, just a bit of alcohol burn.

The mouth on this beer is second to just a few, like Night Tripper. But soooo creamy and good. Drinkability is unheard of, I could savor this and many more tonight.

The fire is roaring, this stout is making the night better for sure. A chocolate blanket of perfection.

jampics2, Dec 06, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

I haven't reviewed a beer in awhile, but this one made me want to write down a few surprising notes.
This beer had a nice head, great color and smelled wonderful. I picked up notes of coffee, chocolate and booze.
I remember this beer being a lot hotter last year, but I was really impressed by its drink ability this year.
We were only alloted a few cases in town so I am definitely snagging a few 4pks. before they are gone.
Kudos to Founders for this rendition of a RIS.

jmacdaddy2008, Dec 02, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours nearly pitch-black, with some some brownish-red hints at the edges when held to light. The head, while thin, is also a brownish red, but dissipates quickly. Lacing is minor.

S - Dark-roast coffee is the first part of the nose, followed with some bitter dark chocolate scents. The back-end is full of alcohol, which had me a little nervous for the taste.

T - Pretty amazing...I could leave it at that. I was surprised after the smell just how well hidden the alcohol is. Actual, this is quite similar to Founders Breakfast Stout (one of my favorite beers ever), only with more bite. This brew just tastes explosive with bittersweet chocolate and espresso notes, and just enough hop bitterness to balance out the impressive malt presence. All in all, this is the smoothest Imperial Stout I've ever tasted.

M - This feels incredibly smooth in the mouth, with a decent tingling from the alcohol. Maybe not quite as thick as I expected, but by no means watery. In fact, I'm most reminded of those bottled/canned cappuccino drinks you can find at most gas stations, which is in no-way meant as a slight.

D - At 10.5%, this is deceptively drinkable. While the flavors are huge, this is also an impressively smooth beer, which could easily get away from anyone.

I have to add that I'm a bit of a Founders fan-boy, as they are without-a-doubt my favorite brewery. Regardless, I feel they've earned my love by producing some of the finest beers in the world. The Imperial Stout is absolutely no exception.

eternaljester81, Nov 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger head with great retention and a dark brown color.

Smell is of chocolate and licorice with a bit of roast, but licorice and chocolate dominate.

Taste is similar to the nose. I'm impressed with a lack of hot alcohols in this beer. It's not a pry top, so I imagine it's had time to age. Incredibly smooth on the palate. Low bitterness for the style. I want a bit more roast, but it's so malty sweet with chocolate/licoricy notes with a touch of toffee, but not too much.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy and smooth.

This beer is one of the most drinkable for the style that I've had due to a lack of fusel alcohols or flaws.

jasonjlewis, Nov 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Recieved this bottle from iconoklaztor. Thanks, again Don! I've been drinking a lot of your beer lately.

12 oz bottle, vintage unknown (although it was waxed on top, so maybe Don has some knowledge of it's age) pours a viscous black-hole black into a tulip glass. Thin, dark brown head is produced, and doesn't stay for long. Only leaves tiny spots of lacing here and there. A good swirl leaves a thin film of brown liquid on the glass...now thats what I like to see...the ultimate test of an Imperial Stout. If it stains your glassware...it's good to go.

The nose is strong on toasted malts and chocolate, light bitter coffee, vanilla and alcohol. There is a lot of complexity going on, but it's a little more muted than I would have hoped.

Taste is pretty much the nose but vamped up. Everything is more defined, and the complexity of the malts shines through in this one. Alcohol is nowhere to be found (contrary to the nose) and notes of vanilla and chocolate come out. Tasty!

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, thick and rich. Very low carbonation is appropriate for this brew. Slides down my throat, beckoning me to drink more. Drinkability is great, the age on this (whatever it is) has done away with the alcohol and made this an incredibly drinkable brew.

Overall, another great beer from Founders. When this hits Minnesota, I'm definitely getting more of this. It's not a world class Imperial Stout, but it's definitely a good one, and one that I will be drinking a lot more of.

Mistofminn, Nov 19, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to brewdan for this 12 oz bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

Looks a bit like used motor oil pouring out of the bottle, thick and black. In the glass, though, there are some deep ruby highlights around the edges. An extremely dense creamy tan head. Great head retention, great lacing, and the beer stains the glass from top to bottom. Looks almost too good to drink. Almost...

Smells like a beer I need to get to know really well. Plentiful dark malts, French press coffee, mocha, dark chocolate and cherry liqeur are a few aromas that jump out at me. Very appetizing.

The bottle says 90 IBUs, and I believe it. There's an initial puckering 1-2 punch of pungent hops and bitter burnt malts, quickly followed by a massive chocolatey (dark and sweet) maltiness. The longer I chew on it, the more layers of flavor reveal themselves: dark roasted coffee, cherry, sorghum, a booziness kind of like fermented dark fruits, etc. Wonderful stuff.

Very full bodied and velvety smooth, with a nice long burnt malt and bitter hop finish.

Overall impression: Incredibly good imperial stout (much superior to their Breakfast Stout and KBS, IMO). I'm stoked that Founders distributes to SC and I can get this more often now.

PDXHops, Nov 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Thick and viscous, it pours deep cola in color with chocolate highlights at the edge of the glass. There was almost no head to speak of and what little there was quickly faded to an oily smear on top.

S - Strong aromas of roasted malts, chocolate and anise with slight bit of dark roast coffee beans.

T - Deep roasted malt with a fair amount of coffee and an almost astringent hop bitterness. The alcohol barely comes through in the dry finish. Not a whole lot in terms of complexity, but certainly enjoyable.

M - Full bodied and velvety.

D - While I certainly enjoy this beer, I had hoped that there would be a bit more complexity considering some of founders other seasonal offerings.

FrognutUnl, Nov 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured deep black with a near single finger dark tan head layer. Frothy head fades to a bubbly ring around my glass in just minutes.
S: Bitter chocolate, faint coffee, metallic hints
T: Still bitter, but chocolate flavor is more milk, than bitter dark.
M: Very smooth and soft flavors.
D: Easy drinking. A clean imperial stout.

d0ggnate, Nov 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -6%

I received two of these in random trades. I had one last night liked it enough to look forward to drinking the other tonight.

Appearance: Black. Moderate tan cascading head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Metallic, coffee, chocolate, toffee and roasted malts.

Taste: Lots of coffee and roasted malts. Maybe a bit of chocolate and vanilla. Picking up the same metallic flavors in the smell and a little bit of boozy.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Moderate carbonation and moderately velvety. Very drinkable.

Great everyday imperial stout.

kbm, Nov 10, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours black oil with just a shade of brown around the edges. Thin mocha head with nice lacing.

Nose has chocolate, roasted malts, herbal hops, coffee, dark fruits, molasses and a hint of booze.

Taste has lots of dark malts but also a good amount of bitter hops, espresso, molasses, cocoa and ripe pitted fruits.

Full, creamy body is well carbonated. Another fantastic stout from Founders.

rye726, Nov 06, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Nose is very dark, rich, chocolaty, malty, and coffee-like. Some sour, fruity, hoppy secondary aromas. Very soft alcohol and citric aromas. Smells like it will have a significant dry, roasted, and woody character. Smells quite nice.

Pours black with very mild dark brown head. Looks good.

Flavor starts out very black coffee-like with dry woody roast and progresses to be floral, leafy, and hoppy in midpalate before settling down to be dry, powdery, and slightly alcoholic in the finish. Soft carbonation pairs with roasted woody bite and alcohol to create a punchy mouthfeel. Lots of chocolate and coffee, some burnt character. Mild sweetness is creamy and milk-like. Smooth creamy body - the soft carbonation creams it up nicely in the mouth. Tastes good. Feels fantastic. Good drinkability.

MrHungryMonkey, Nov 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours an expected midnight black with just a hint of brown around the edges. The head laces and lasts, I would like it to be just a bit bigger.

The smell and taste are both filled with the usual RIS characters, chocolate, some roastiness, a little coffee in the background...but nothing really stands out, it just seems a bit too boring for such a big beer. Not quite what I was expecting considering the quality of the Breakfast and Kentucky Breakfast stouts.

The mouthfeel makes up for any other shortcomings, perfectly smooth and creamy, delicious.

The drinkability is pretty strong as well, easy drinking...not my favorite, but definitely worth trying.

grayburn, Nov 02, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is a very dark black that pours like motor oil. A very small head that is rich and brown but unfortunately disappears quickly.

Smell is somewhat rich with an aroma of all the things you'd expect from this style, coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. There is also a hint of the alcohol.

Taste is rich and bitter. The hops seam to stand out quite a bit. Lots of nice coffee and dark chocolate as well. Pretty rich and complex. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied and thick. Nice, creamy and smooth. A nice mild amount of carbonation. It leaves a little bit of a bitter finish.

Drinkability is great for the amount of alcohol. All in all it goes down smooth and is quite enjoyable. I probably wouldn't want more than one at a time however as I feel it would better be enjoyed in moderation. Something you sip and savor.

MrStark, Oct 27, 2009