Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,848 | Reviews: 663

I am not a fan beer in general but if I had to pick one this one would win hands down every time. It is sweet and delicious. It has a brilliant red color with a vibrant sweet aroma of raspberry. When tasting this it is soft, sweet and a hint of tartness. The sweetness of this beer is not overwhelming in any sense.

look: PINK
Smell: raspberries
taste: delicious, tart, heavy raspberry flavor
aftertaste: fruity tartness
overall: LOVE this beer, great for the summer

Done in a horizontal tasting with Thirsty Dog Raspberry Ale and Great Divide Wild Raspberry(from notes).

Eye: Not quite clear, cloudy and the color of dark grapefruit juice. The head is beautiful, creamy with the perfect size and great retention, color of it is pinkwith white added to lighted it a shade or two. Beautiful sandstone type of lacing-layers. Great looking all around.

Nose: Smells of real raspberries, just like you've opened a bag of them and pureed them. Simple and Pure. Great aroma, just pure raspberries.

Tongue: Tartness and the flavor of real raspberries, nothing processed about this beer. Tastes like all natural raspberries. This is by far the best fruit beer I've had to date. Hops are present just enough to balance it out, just slightly noticeable in the taste. This is an excellent fruit beer, one of the best all around...a bit of tartness and some bitterness perfectly balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: My first thought when this one hit my palate was-Smooth, velvet-like. It has a ferfect amount of carbonation to compliment the tartness in here. NIce medium body, with a semi-dry finish. First slightly wet finish that leads to to a dried finish then back again. Certain parts of my mouth call this dry whilst others...well not so much so. this is one that I'll buy again, pending I can find it next season.

It's like a sweet, slightly tangy raspberry juice, but carbonated and alcoholic. It's a pinkish / purplish color, and very refreshing on a hotter day. I can foresee me drinking many of these during the summer months. One of my new favorite summertime beers!

Best Raspberry beer I've ever had. It was also available in Nitro at the brewery. Goes great with Founders oatmeal stout!

4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

My favorite beer or all time.

Heavy berry flavor. Sweet and mildly sour. Good with food or alone.

4.87/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A little too sweet for my taste, but overall a fantastic fruit beer.

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark reddish color with an off-white head that turns into a ring of lacing.

S- There is no mistaking the aroma. It is fresh raspberries all the way. What is great about the aroma is it smells like you have your nose to a bowl of fresh raspberries and not an artificial fruit-like aroma.

T- The taste is nothing short of amazing. Tart raspberries up front with a lingering sweetness coming in. At first, I think the sweetness will overpower but the tartness comes back in the finish to balance things out. Even though the taste is 100% raspberry, it does not taste one dimensional because there is so many waves of flavors in the taste.

M- One of the first things I noticed in the taste was the thickness of the mouthfeel. I was expecting a very light body and a high amount of carbonation but this beer is medium bodied with a moderate-average amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I am extremely impressed with this beer. It is a must try for anyone who loves raspberries. If you love raspberries, you will love this beer. If you dislike raspberries, you will dislike this beer. Highly recommended!

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

Picked up a four pack of this tonight. This is my first time trying it out of a bottle. Still does NOT disappoint. The raspberries make this ale very easy to drink, yet still has a slight-kick of malt and hops on the back-end. 5/5 in my book! It's always a plus when the wife likes it as well :]

ALSO, I have one OR two(probably one, because it's so tasty!) for trade, in-box if you're interested!

4.81/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First fruit beer that was not a Lambic, I was extremely impressed!

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Phenomenal raspberry flavor. Sweet, and tart at the same time

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Delicious malt beverage fruited very obviously with raspberries. Tastes more like raspberry cider than beer. But really refreshing and tasty.

4.77/5  rDev +23.6%

Great fruit beer. I typically prefer a little more carbonation, but still very good. Rasberry flavor was very balanced with the beer. Comparable to some of the Belgian Lambics. If you've never been to Founders, it's definitely worth the trip. Come thirsty, but not hungry because they don't serve any food.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Picked up a six-pack of these a couple of days ago. I'm on my last one right now, so I figured I write a review.

Appearance: Pours out a ruby red color. Very reminscent of cranberry juice, in fact, with a decent-sized pinkish head that eventually settles and leaves almost no lacing.

Smell: The raspberries used in this stuff was very apparent from the minute I opened the bottle. Very sweet and tart smelling with a faint hint of malt.

Taste: Like the scent, raspberries dominate. Sweet at first, quickly turning slightly tart. Finishes tart, but crisp and clean with a slightly noticable malt undertone. A very well-done fruit beer, especially if you like raspberries.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good mouthfeel. Kind of creamy. The carbonation seems just about right and is actually kind of reminscent of champagne.

Drinkability: Excellent! This goes down very easy, maybe a little too easy. In fact, I found myself downing three of these in one sitting the other day. A very good spring or summer beer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

- Pink/purply color
- smells like raspberries
- sweet and slightly carbonated
- very refreshing for summer
- really loved this beer

4.74/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good lots of raspberries so kinda of tart but founders did a very nice job with this !

4.73/5  rDev +22.5%

Loved this! Would definitely get it again.

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very sweet and fruity beer. Remind me of a Belgian Krieg. Nice to change things up every once in a while.

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a wine glass
Before I start - Let it be known that I love raspberries, and any opinions are biased to my love of the taste this berry carries.

Appearance: Cranberry juice appearance to the beer itself. The head is short and lasts a short while. It is pink in color with small bubbles and what appears to be carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. The beer is a deep magenta and has some opacity to it. What a great change from all these other conventional beers.

Smell: Raspberries, raspberries, raspberries. Freshly picked raspberries. There are other aromas like strawberry and plum in there but raspberry is clearly the dominat aroma. This could easily be a lambic with some brett added to it.

Taste: Tart and sweet. The raspberry flavor is in full effect. This is a great representation on the flavor of the berry. It's not supposed to be overly sweet like jam but it hold true to the natural sugars that are present in the fruit. No hop flavor to speak of and some maltiness. This is so refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean. I was shocked to look up and see the ABV is 6.9%. You could have told me it was 3% and I would have been a believer. Very cunningly crafted!

Drinkability: I believe this is an awesome beer. I would get a case of this if I saw it. I love raspberry and think that the brewers made it authentic to the flavor that the berry holds. The ABV is well-hidden and the beer is sickeningly drinkable and quenching. Very, very nicely done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was on a fruit beer kick today! The Rubaeus was my fourth fruit beer of the day and I have to say it was impressive! Poured from the bottle, it was a deep opaque brown with reddish tones. It smells of a strong, sweet rasperry, an almost syrupy smell. It tastes of a strong raspberry flavor but the sourness very nicely balances the fruity sweetness! The flavor was delicious and refreshing. It was smooth through the entire glass. This was a thoroughly enjoyable finish to the day.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Solid tasty fruit forward ale

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful magenta pour. Small head. Smell is vinegar and sugarplums, apples also, and I guess some raspberries. The taste is absolutely amazing !!!

This is one of the finest American examples of taking a Belgian sour/Flemish red and blending it with a sweet lambic like Lindemann's framboise. An excellent combo. The mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent also.This one is really worth seeking out.

Tasting notes:(in addition to sour cherries/raspberries would be some real woody maltiness)

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

I purchased this beer as a single bottle at my local market.

A: This is one wicked good looking beer. You would have to be careful with this stuff around kids. They could mistake it for a cup of juice. It's light pink with a beautiful ruby red that's second to none. Not much of a head but the color alone makes up for it.

S: Very bitter and tart. Raspberries!!! And lots of them! This is the definition of a fruit beer. The sweetness makes me just want to dive in get a taste.

T: This a true gem from Founders. The taste resembles the smell a lot. Raspberries and tartness. I'm not a huge fruit beer fan but there's something about the taste of this Rübæus that keeps me taking frequent sips.

M: Light and not too tart. Carbonation seems to be just about right.

D: Very drinkable. It's basically like fruit juice with alcohol. And a decent amount to boot.

Overall I really dig Rübæus. It was the first fruit beer I ever tried and unfortunately it will be no more very soon. I will continue to search for however much is left on planet Earth. Thank you Founders for the good memories!

4.67/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I absolutely love this fruit ale. It is a really unique drink and my favorite right now.

4.67/5  rDev +21%

This beer drinks really easy and isn't very filling, which is what I liked the most about it. Have it on tap at my bar (Old Chicago in Okemos Michigan). Nothing to complain about with this beer except the price. Founders makes great
beers, holding it down in the Midwest market.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company