Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
Reviews: 623 | Hads: 2,924
1.55/5  rDev -60.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

"chicks should dig it" But well they won't "drink a lot."

Founders has been on a overly sugary mess role lately. The entire back stage series should read "crap we put to much sugar in it" series. This is staying with that theme. I'm really starting to consider down grading the brewery as they just keep turning out bad beer after bad beer lately.

Pour a fruit juice body with a bit a head.

Sugar, raspberry, alcohol, hint of hops, and sugar. Yes I said sugar twice.

There's some beer here, hints of hops and hints of wheat but all of it over blasted by sugary rasberry. It hints at tart but isn't tart. It brings out flavors I like in sours but it isn't sour. This is a huge step back from their Ceries which at last has some sour elements even if it's mostly a sugary cherry mess.

I have no desire for more of this and I can't imagine drinking this outside in the heat. The sugar would just make one sick.

It's not normal I guess so have one? But it's a beer I'll never have again. Not good. If this is a style stop making it. Founders look guys, you're better than this! (1,083 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -53.6%

Just too much Fruit and not enough beer qualities. Its kinda gross really. I have no idea who this beer is targeted towards. Its a lousy beer and a lousy wine cooler. If you enjoy drinking dish detergent, then this may be the beer for you. Otherwise, move on. Worst Founder's beer I've ever had. Probably in the top 5 worst beers I have ever had. (346 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -50.3%

I usually really enjoy drinking Founder's brews. This is the first exception. I have seen this in 4-packs all over the place, and I have been meaning to pick one up, but this was the first time I have seen it on tap (at the Tally Ho in Bethlehem, PA). So I order one.

Watching the bartender pour I immediately notice this beer has an almost unnatural red tint to it. It holds almost no head, but it still looks a little promising. As he places it down in front of me I am overloaded with raspberry smells. It is nice as an air freshener, but I am now concerned. I take a sip and immediately identify the "fake" taste of sour raspberries. It is missing much of the character that Founder's usually has from its selection of hops and malts. I couldn't finish this, as it reminded me of raspberry pucker. Somewhere someone probably really likes this brew, but it was way too sweet for me.

Sorry Founder's, but this seems like you tried too hard and failed. I will never have this again. I'll still have other Founder's brews because of there fairly good track record with me. (1,074 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -48.2%

I really wanted to like this one, but I didn't. It was reddish/orange in color. Very sweet, raspberry taste (and I love raspberry anything), but it tasted like vomit to me. (172 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -47.7%

Pours very pink, cloudy, with a thin soapy head.

Smell is Rasberry. No malt or hop detectable.

Taste is artificial sour rasberry flavoring. Once again, there isn't a trace of malt or hop to be found. Hint of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light.

Founders is a great brewery but this isn't even what I would call beer. Your wine cooler drinking girlfriend might like this. (393 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -43.6%

While this was a great looking beer, a deep pinkish red, the smell was a bit medicinal and the taste was sickly sweet and tasted artificial. I couldn't take more than two sips of this beer. To each their own but this beer was not for me. (239 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -40.7%

The brewers tried too hard with this beer and came up short. Pours a fairly turbid pinkish red with no head. In fact there is hardly any carbonation at all. The flatness greatly diminshes its drinkablity. Smells very fruity. Tastes almost like raspberry juice; a bit overdone in my opinion. There was a lot of flocculance in my glass, again distracting. The lack of carbonation really kills this beer. (401 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Serving Type: Poured from a bottle into a generic pint glass

Appearance: Fairly nondescript looking beer. Ferric / amber.

Smell: Yup, raspberries.

Taste: Rasperry jam, artificial Big League Chew bubblegum, a tiny bit of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy. Decent amount of carbonation

Overall: I don't know what the heck is going on with Founder's lately, but in their search for extremely artsy-crafty beers, they seem to be missing the point. You can't just hand me a sugary mess and call it a beer - and this was definitely more like a raspberry soda than a beer.

There definitely needed to be a bitter component to balance this one out. Perhaps if it had been a raspberry chocolate stout, with some bitter dark chocolate or some dark roasted malt to even the path.

This one just goes way to far to the sweet side. (829 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -39.2%

Thank You Gnomefest!

A - Deep red almost purple body with very thin light tan head that fades away very fast. The look of the body is interesting but the consistency of the whole appearance doesn't become a good rating.

S - Raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, I wish it had some Halle Berry. I bet that would smell good.

T - There's a strong raspberry flavor in this brew followed by a bitterness and a finish leaving much to be desired.

M - The brew is wet at the lips but finishes quite dry. Impressive.

~ Unfortunately I'm going to struggle finishing this because of the flavor. It is far too fruity for my liking, or to even really be a beer in my opinion. (677 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

I had high hopes for this brew and found a few on the shelf. Quickly grabbed it and put it in the fridge soon after. The pour met my anticipation, a nice clear cranberry red with medium carbonation. Unfortunately it went downhill from there. At first it tastes quite nice there's a definite raspberry presence with a tinge of tartness, however it quickly turns into cough syrup. The flavour is completely dominated by this medicinal quality. This returns after each taste but thankfully does not linger in the finish. The mouth feel is a bit slick and oily and leaves a finish again similar to cough syrup.

After reading a few reviews here it seems that I may have gotten a bottle from the "bad" batch. However I stick by my rating as this inconsistency seems common enough. I'd hesitantly be willing to give this another go. (826 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -35.3%

A - Very deep ruby red color with small pinkish hue head. No head retention and weak lacing.
S - Smells like raspberry as expected. Smells very good.
T - Taste is off. First you get a hit of just "beer" taste. Then as that fades you get super sweet raspberry juice. The flavors just do not meld together until you drink enough of it but by then it is too late.
M - Light and fizzy not really in a good way. Almost like a sparkling fruit juice.
O - I say it is poor overall. If I am looking for a raspberry flavor like this I will go for a Lambic over this any day. This is similar to the Wild Red beer from AB. (610 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Pours a nice bright red color with a pinkish colored head that fell quickly leaving just a bubbly layer and little lacing.

S- Very very fruity. Raspberries raspberries and more raspberries.

T- Again very fruity and that's about all I could pick up. Not over powering just follow your nose.

M- Light to medium. Not too bad at all maybe a little dry to the finish

D- I suppose for the style its pretty nice just not me type of thing. Too fruity for me glad I got to try it. (479 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Being a big raspberry fan I bought a four pack of these and already tried it and not liked it but thought I'd review it anyway and not suprisingly it's a raspberry hue with a one finger head and some nice lacing,the smell is raspberry lollies that's it,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated and on taste I have to make sure I'm not drinking cool drink its basically a big sweet mess of raspberries everything else has no chance of getting through the only taste I get is raspberry jam and raspberry lollies and overall if you like lollies and sweet stuff then sure try it but ill never drink this one again cheers. (627 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured bright pink with now head at all, lookes more like a wine cooler than a beer.

Smells like fresh tart raspberries.

Taste exactly like the smell, like raspberries, absolutely no standard beer flavors at all, no detectable malt, no hops, no yeast, just sweet and sour raspberries.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly slick

Overall the flavor isn't bad, but has absolutely no beer qualities, taste as much like beer as the Smirnoffs, Bacardi's, and Bartles and James of the world. I will avoid this one. The first let down I have had from founders. (559 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a ruby red color. Very effervescent with a white soda pop foam that dissapates to nothing. Aromas are mostly filled with raspberries, some biscuit malt, and a little alcohol. Hmm, flavor is super sticky, super sweet and basically an alcoholic raspberry syrup. Hops aren't particularly detected, nor are any malts used. Carbonation is too low; I feel a fruit beer should be crisp and light. This is quite a dissapointment, I expected something better. Alcohol and raspberry Italian soda, move on. (501 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

Red orange color, cloudy. Thin head but it leaves decent lace.

Very berry aroma. It's raspberry but slightly artificial. There's also a metallic smell behind the sweetness.

More sweet than tart, but all raspberry. One dimensional--you could call this a raspberry beer cooler. Needs cheese or something spicy to cut the soda aspects of this. The body is an improvement to the taste but typical.

To close to carbonated Kool-Aid for my liking. (443 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, deep scarlet colored ale with a pinkish puffy head on top, slowly crackling away, compacting on itself. Pretty beautiful pour.

Smells like a typical raspberry beer. Sweet, lightly tart maybe. Grainy, husky notes in there...maybe a bit metallic.

Ok first sip was terrible. I don't know if that's because I just drank an IPA or what. But it tastes pretty off. Sweet, full bodied beer. Metallic for sure. The dreaded "artificial" taste that seems to plague most fruit beers. As the palate becomes more adjusted to the taste it is not as bad. Sweet, candy red raspberry flavor develops up front, and carries through till the end which is just a tad drier than the first sip. Leaves a sweetness on the lips. I get where they want to go with this. A fruit beer that's not a "light beer" but a robust, full flavored beer.

For someone searching for a beer that's not all that much like a beer, this would be a good option. Sweet, candy like beer that comes from a well known and respected brewer. I will not be trying this again, though I might recommend it to someone who is just easing into beer from the mixed drink category. (1,132 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Almost a drain pour. I was not alone in disliking this beer among 3 fellow tasters.
Gave away the rest. I'm a huge fan of Founders.

A: Dark rosy pink hazed body with a wispy head that fades and no lace. No body.

N: Nose is raspberry soda.

T: Starts with a sweet syrup and much too much raspberry.The raspberry takes over. No bitterness, too much sweet. It lacks the sour, wild, funky, anything.... Its fruit juice.

F: To sweet and too much carbonation. It's soda.

Pass or drain pour. Good for flowers? (511 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours out a hazy ruddy red. Head is slightly off-white to pink. Nose is raspberry candy. Flavor is raspberry, raspberry, raspberry. That's about it. Pretty sweet overall. The fruit contributes some tartness, but it isn't enough to balance the sweet. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky. I love raspberries, but this is a bit much to finish a 12 oz. I would like this in a 4 oz. serving as a digestif much better. (411 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Wild carmine pours like an eddy in a glacial river in a gully during the peak of summer. Wild torrents of bubbles spew forth. This is one of the most wild pouring brews I have ever seen. The bottle should have a warning label printed on it that says, “Pour really slowly into a really big glass,” because this brew explodes all over the place.

Smells kinda like cough syrup mixed with raspberry Kool-Aid and boatloads of NutraSweet.

Tastes pretty mediocre, very medicinal and too sweet, false, with too little fruit or substance.

Mouthfeel is thin and artificial.

Drinkability is fine but nothing special. (619 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25%

I shared this one with my fiance since she loves the fruity stuff...

A - Deep rhubarb red with watermelon highlights. This is a beautiful shade of deep red that has a lot of different hues showing through. The head is a pink and fluffy cap that eventually goes away leaving a ring of bubbles around the collar. A net of fine lace slides down the glass.

S - Smells like a bowl of fresh raspberries with sugar piled on top. Reminds me a bit of Lindemans framboise, but without the acidity. I can detect a small amount of hops pulling through, which I really appreciate in a category that can be all about the fruit and not the beer.

T - Sour apple and tart raspberry are the first flavors to touch the tongue, along with a vague funky sour note. Again, hops show through and make this more of a beer lover's fruit beer than a girly candy treat. This has a neat funky earthy almost moldy mushroomy aspect that makes it a bit of balance, but does add some complexity.

M - Light bodied with some moderate carbonation. A bit slick and sugary.

D - A pretty good fruit beer that has a lot of complex and unique flavors. It's no lambic, but it's a decently drinkable fruit beer. (1,175 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24%

Pours dark garnet with a large pink head.
Aroma of raspberry confectionery and little else.
Simlar flavours, very sweet. Raspberry lollies again sums it up perfectly. Very little to it really.
Could use more carbonation.
Much too sweet. Nothing apparent behind the raspberry. (275 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a clean reddih/ orange color with a light pinkish head. In the aroma, a small tart raspberry fruitiness. In the taste, small tart, and small raspberry fruitiness, yet quite clean. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry, small raspberry aftertaste. Kind of faint flavors, and a nice small tartness, ok, but expecting more flavor. (344 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -23.5%

Did not do anything for me. Too sweet for my liking, though I did not find it to be an offensively bad beer. I knew what to expect going in, so at least there were no surprises. (177 characters)

Clear gorgeous ruby color! Really bright and vibrant. 1 finger of light pink head. Lots of raspberries on the nose. Tart sweet raspberries! Some sweet grains.

Lots of tart raspberry flavor and grainy sweetness. Full bodied that things out a little on the finish. Tartness doesnt linger too much. Sweetness lingers a bit but its not overly sweet. A little sticky though. Not as refreshing as most fruit beers. Heavy body and thick. It's good but I wouldn't drink more than 1. And with how rare pricey it is I wouldn't really recommend it. Preferred Cerise. (556 characters)

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company