Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,869 | Reviews: 669
1.4/5  rDev -63.7%

Disgusting. Craft brewer loads some sloppily produced swill up with hops or fruit, which is the case here.

1.55/5  rDev -59.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

"chicks should dig it" But well they won't "drink a lot."

Founders has been on a overly sugary mess role lately. The entire back stage series should read "crap we put to much sugar in it" series. This is staying with that theme. I'm really starting to consider down grading the brewery as they just keep turning out bad beer after bad beer lately.

Pour a fruit juice body with a bit a head.

Sugar, raspberry, alcohol, hint of hops, and sugar. Yes I said sugar twice.

There's some beer here, hints of hops and hints of wheat but all of it over blasted by sugary rasberry. It hints at tart but isn't tart. It brings out flavors I like in sours but it isn't sour. This is a huge step back from their Ceries which at last has some sour elements even if it's mostly a sugary cherry mess.

I have no desire for more of this and I can't imagine drinking this outside in the heat. The sugar would just make one sick.

It's not normal I guess so have one? But it's a beer I'll never have again. Not good. If this is a style stop making it. Founders look guys, you're better than this!

1.8/5  rDev -53.4%

Just too much Fruit and not enough beer qualities. Its kinda gross really. I have no idea who this beer is targeted towards. Its a lousy beer and a lousy wine cooler. If you enjoy drinking dish detergent, then this may be the beer for you. Otherwise, move on. Worst Founder's beer I've ever had. Probably in the top 5 worst beers I have ever had.

1.93/5  rDev -50%

I usually really enjoy drinking Founder's brews. This is the first exception. I have seen this in 4-packs all over the place, and I have been meaning to pick one up, but this was the first time I have seen it on tap (at the Tally Ho in Bethlehem, PA). So I order one.

Watching the bartender pour I immediately notice this beer has an almost unnatural red tint to it. It holds almost no head, but it still looks a little promising. As he places it down in front of me I am overloaded with raspberry smells. It is nice as an air freshener, but I am now concerned. I take a sip and immediately identify the "fake" taste of sour raspberries. It is missing much of the character that Founder's usually has from its selection of hops and malts. I couldn't finish this, as it reminded me of raspberry pucker. Somewhere someone probably really likes this brew, but it was way too sweet for me.

Sorry Founder's, but this seems like you tried too hard and failed. I will never have this again. I'll still have other Founder's brews because of there fairly good track record with me.

2.01/5  rDev -47.9%

I really wanted to like this one, but I didn't. It was reddish/orange in color. Very sweet, raspberry taste (and I love raspberry anything), but it tasted like vomit to me.

2.03/5  rDev -47.4%

Pours very pink, cloudy, with a thin soapy head.

Smell is Rasberry. No malt or hop detectable.

Taste is artificial sour rasberry flavoring. Once again, there isn't a trace of malt or hop to be found. Hint of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light.

Founders is a great brewery but this isn't even what I would call beer. Your wine cooler drinking girlfriend might like this.

2.05/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

This beer is incredibly to sweet. I wasn't even able to finish it. To sweet and sugary for a beer. Stop making this Founders. Thanks

2.06/5  rDev -46.6%

May be a really good beer but I just don't like fruited beer.Sorry but it's just way to sweet for me.

2.18/5  rDev -43.5%

Drain pour. Gross cherry Robitussin flavor. Nothing appealing.

2.19/5  rDev -43.3%

While this was a great looking beer, a deep pinkish red, the smell was a bit medicinal and the taste was sickly sweet and tasted artificial. I couldn't take more than two sips of this beer. To each their own but this beer was not for me.

2.2/5  rDev -43%

Just not for me. Reminded me of a table wine. Some people might love this but it's just too sweet for me.

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

The brewers tried too hard with this beer and came up short. Pours a fairly turbid pinkish red with no head. In fact there is hardly any carbonation at all. The flatness greatly diminshes its drinkablity. Smells very fruity. Tastes almost like raspberry juice; a bit overdone in my opinion. There was a lot of flocculance in my glass, again distracting. The lack of carbonation really kills this beer.

2.31/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Serving Type: Poured from a bottle into a generic pint glass

Appearance: Fairly nondescript looking beer. Ferric / amber.

Smell: Yup, raspberries.

Taste: Rasperry jam, artificial Big League Chew bubblegum, a tiny bit of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy. Decent amount of carbonation

Overall: I don't know what the heck is going on with Founder's lately, but in their search for extremely artsy-crafty beers, they seem to be missing the point. You can't just hand me a sugary mess and call it a beer - and this was definitely more like a raspberry soda than a beer.

There definitely needed to be a bitter component to balance this one out. Perhaps if it had been a raspberry chocolate stout, with some bitter dark chocolate or some dark roasted malt to even the path.

This one just goes way to far to the sweet side.

2.36/5  rDev -38.9%

Thank You Gnomefest!

A - Deep red almost purple body with very thin light tan head that fades away very fast. The look of the body is interesting but the consistency of the whole appearance doesn't become a good rating.

S - Raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, I wish it had some Halle Berry. I bet that would smell good.

T - There's a strong raspberry flavor in this brew followed by a bitterness and a finish leaving much to be desired.

M - The brew is wet at the lips but finishes quite dry. Impressive.

~ Unfortunately I'm going to struggle finishing this because of the flavor. It is far too fruity for my liking, or to even really be a beer in my opinion.

2.43/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer is orange, red in color and has a rancid aroma. It tastes a little like fruit leather with a tangy and sweet fruity flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

I had high hopes for this brew and found a few on the shelf. Quickly grabbed it and put it in the fridge soon after. The pour met my anticipation, a nice clear cranberry red with medium carbonation. Unfortunately it went downhill from there. At first it tastes quite nice there's a definite raspberry presence with a tinge of tartness, however it quickly turns into cough syrup. The flavour is completely dominated by this medicinal quality. This returns after each taste but thankfully does not linger in the finish. The mouth feel is a bit slick and oily and leaves a finish again similar to cough syrup.

After reading a few reviews here it seems that I may have gotten a bottle from the "bad" batch. However I stick by my rating as this inconsistency seems common enough. I'd hesitantly be willing to give this another go.

2.51/5  rDev -35%

A - Very deep ruby red color with small pinkish hue head. No head retention and weak lacing.
S - Smells like raspberry as expected. Smells very good.
T - Taste is off. First you get a hit of just "beer" taste. Then as that fades you get super sweet raspberry juice. The flavors just do not meld together until you drink enough of it but by then it is too late.
M - Light and fizzy not really in a good way. Almost like a sparkling fruit juice.
O - I say it is poor overall. If I am looking for a raspberry flavor like this I will go for a Lambic over this any day. This is similar to the Wild Red beer from AB.

2.53/5  rDev -34.5%

To sweet and thick. Taste like addes syrup.

2.55/5  rDev -33.9%

A- Pours a nice bright red color with a pinkish colored head that fell quickly leaving just a bubbly layer and little lacing.

S- Very very fruity. Raspberries raspberries and more raspberries.

T- Again very fruity and that's about all I could pick up. Not over powering just follow your nose.

M- Light to medium. Not too bad at all maybe a little dry to the finish

D- I suppose for the style its pretty nice just not me type of thing. Too fruity for me glad I got to try it.

2.62/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Being a big raspberry fan I bought a four pack of these and already tried it and not liked it but thought I'd review it anyway and not suprisingly it's a raspberry hue with a one finger head and some nice lacing,the smell is raspberry lollies that's it,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated and on taste I have to make sure I'm not drinking cool drink its basically a big sweet mess of raspberries everything else has no chance of getting through the only taste I get is raspberry jam and raspberry lollies and overall if you like lollies and sweet stuff then sure try it but ill never drink this one again cheers.

2.66/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured bright pink with now head at all, lookes more like a wine cooler than a beer.

Smells like fresh tart raspberries.

Taste exactly like the smell, like raspberries, absolutely no standard beer flavors at all, no detectable malt, no hops, no yeast, just sweet and sour raspberries.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly slick

Overall the flavor isn't bad, but has absolutely no beer qualities, taste as much like beer as the Smirnoffs, Bacardi's, and Bartles and James of the world. I will avoid this one. The first let down I have had from founders.

2.67/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a ruby red color. Very effervescent with a white soda pop foam that dissapates to nothing. Aromas are mostly filled with raspberries, some biscuit malt, and a little alcohol. Hmm, flavor is super sticky, super sweet and basically an alcoholic raspberry syrup. Hops aren't particularly detected, nor are any malts used. Carbonation is too low; I feel a fruit beer should be crisp and light. This is quite a dissapointment, I expected something better. Alcohol and raspberry Italian soda, move on.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Red orange color, cloudy. Thin head but it leaves decent lace.

Very berry aroma. It's raspberry but slightly artificial. There's also a metallic smell behind the sweetness.

More sweet than tart, but all raspberry. One dimensional--you could call this a raspberry beer cooler. Needs cheese or something spicy to cut the soda aspects of this. The body is an improvement to the taste but typical.

To close to carbonated Kool-Aid for my liking.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, deep scarlet colored ale with a pinkish puffy head on top, slowly crackling away, compacting on itself. Pretty beautiful pour.

Smells like a typical raspberry beer. Sweet, lightly tart maybe. Grainy, husky notes in there...maybe a bit metallic.

Ok first sip was terrible. I don't know if that's because I just drank an IPA or what. But it tastes pretty off. Sweet, full bodied beer. Metallic for sure. The dreaded "artificial" taste that seems to plague most fruit beers. As the palate becomes more adjusted to the taste it is not as bad. Sweet, candy red raspberry flavor develops up front, and carries through till the end which is just a tad drier than the first sip. Leaves a sweetness on the lips. I get where they want to go with this. A fruit beer that's not a "light beer" but a robust, full flavored beer.

For someone searching for a beer that's not all that much like a beer, this would be a good option. Sweet, candy like beer that comes from a well known and respected brewer. I will not be trying this again, though I might recommend it to someone who is just easing into beer from the mixed drink category.

2.77/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A little bit too sweet.