Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,632 | Reviews: 583
1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

1.55/5  rDev -59.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

"chicks should dig it" But well they won't "drink a lot."

Founders has been on a overly sugary mess role lately. The entire back stage series should read "crap we put to much sugar in it" series. This is staying with that theme. I'm really starting to consider down grading the brewery as they just keep turning out bad beer after bad beer lately.

Pour a fruit juice body with a bit a head.

Sugar, raspberry, alcohol, hint of hops, and sugar. Yes I said sugar twice.

There's some beer here, hints of hops and hints of wheat but all of it over blasted by sugary rasberry. It hints at tart but isn't tart. It brings out flavors I like in sours but it isn't sour. This is a huge step back from their Ceries which at last has some sour elements even if it's mostly a sugary cherry mess.

I have no desire for more of this and I can't imagine drinking this outside in the heat. The sugar would just make one sick.

It's not normal I guess so have one? But it's a beer I'll never have again. Not good. If this is a style stop making it. Founders look guys, you're better than this!

1.8/5  rDev -53.4%

Just too much Fruit and not enough beer qualities. Its kinda gross really. I have no idea who this beer is targeted towards. Its a lousy beer and a lousy wine cooler. If you enjoy drinking dish detergent, then this may be the beer for you. Otherwise, move on. Worst Founder's beer I've ever had. Probably in the top 5 worst beers I have ever had.

1.93/5  rDev -50%

I usually really enjoy drinking Founder's brews. This is the first exception. I have seen this in 4-packs all over the place, and I have been meaning to pick one up, but this was the first time I have seen it on tap (at the Tally Ho in Bethlehem, PA). So I order one.

Watching the bartender pour I immediately notice this beer has an almost unnatural red tint to it. It holds almost no head, but it still looks a little promising. As he places it down in front of me I am overloaded with raspberry smells. It is nice as an air freshener, but I am now concerned. I take a sip and immediately identify the "fake" taste of sour raspberries. It is missing much of the character that Founder's usually has from its selection of hops and malts. I couldn't finish this, as it reminded me of raspberry pucker. Somewhere someone probably really likes this brew, but it was way too sweet for me.

Sorry Founder's, but this seems like you tried too hard and failed. I will never have this again. I'll still have other Founder's brews because of there fairly good track record with me.

2.03/5  rDev -47.4%

Pours very pink, cloudy, with a thin soapy head.

Smell is Rasberry. No malt or hop detectable.

Taste is artificial sour rasberry flavoring. Once again, there isn't a trace of malt or hop to be found. Hint of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light.

Founders is a great brewery but this isn't even what I would call beer. Your wine cooler drinking girlfriend might like this.

2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

The brewers tried too hard with this beer and came up short. Pours a fairly turbid pinkish red with no head. In fact there is hardly any carbonation at all. The flatness greatly diminshes its drinkablity. Smells very fruity. Tastes almost like raspberry juice; a bit overdone in my opinion. There was a lot of flocculance in my glass, again distracting. The lack of carbonation really kills this beer.

2.31/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Serving Type: Poured from a bottle into a generic pint glass

Appearance: Fairly nondescript looking beer. Ferric / amber.

Smell: Yup, raspberries.

Taste: Rasperry jam, artificial Big League Chew bubblegum, a tiny bit of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy. Decent amount of carbonation

Overall: I don't know what the heck is going on with Founder's lately, but in their search for extremely artsy-crafty beers, they seem to be missing the point. You can't just hand me a sugary mess and call it a beer - and this was definitely more like a raspberry soda than a beer.

There definitely needed to be a bitter component to balance this one out. Perhaps if it had been a raspberry chocolate stout, with some bitter dark chocolate or some dark roasted malt to even the path.

This one just goes way to far to the sweet side.

2.36/5  rDev -38.9%

Thank You Gnomefest!

A - Deep red almost purple body with very thin light tan head that fades away very fast. The look of the body is interesting but the consistency of the whole appearance doesn't become a good rating.

S - Raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, I wish it had some Halle Berry. I bet that would smell good.

T - There's a strong raspberry flavor in this brew followed by a bitterness and a finish leaving much to be desired.

M - The brew is wet at the lips but finishes quite dry. Impressive.

~ Unfortunately I'm going to struggle finishing this because of the flavor. It is far too fruity for my liking, or to even really be a beer in my opinion.

2.36/5  rDev -38.9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company