Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -50%

I usually really enjoy drinking Founder's brews. This is the first exception. I have seen this in 4-packs all over the place, and I have been meaning to pick one up, but this was the first time I have seen it on tap (at the Tally Ho in Bethlehem, PA). So I order one.

Watching the bartender pour I immediately notice this beer has an almost unnatural red tint to it. It holds almost no head, but it still looks a little promising. As he places it down in front of me I am overloaded with raspberry smells. It is nice as an air freshener, but I am now concerned. I take a sip and immediately identify the "fake" taste of sour raspberries. It is missing much of the character that Founder's usually has from its selection of hops and malts. I couldn't finish this, as it reminded me of raspberry pucker. Somewhere someone probably really likes this brew, but it was way too sweet for me.

Sorry Founder's, but this seems like you tried too hard and failed. I will never have this again. I'll still have other Founder's brews because of there fairly good track record with me.

engisch, Aug 20, 2008

sendbeer, Jul 04, 2013

facesnorth, Oct 26, 2013

tattoopunk031, Jul 08, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -47.4%

Pours very pink, cloudy, with a thin soapy head.

Smell is Rasberry. No malt or hop detectable.

Taste is artificial sour rasberry flavoring. Once again, there isn't a trace of malt or hop to be found. Hint of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light.

Founders is a great brewery but this isn't even what I would call beer. Your wine cooler drinking girlfriend might like this.

Blakaeris, Aug 01, 2006

KevMo84, May 30, 2014

Grand-Raggedy, Jul 04, 2014

jacob4999, May 24, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

The brewers tried too hard with this beer and came up short. Pours a fairly turbid pinkish red with no head. In fact there is hardly any carbonation at all. The flatness greatly diminshes its drinkablity. Smells very fruity. Tastes almost like raspberry juice; a bit overdone in my opinion. There was a lot of flocculance in my glass, again distracting. The lack of carbonation really kills this beer.

Atricapilla, Jan 04, 2008

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014
2.26/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Serving Type: Poured from a bottle into a generic pint glass

Appearance: Fairly nondescript looking beer. Ferric / amber.

Smell: Yup, raspberries.

Taste: Rasperry jam, artificial Big League Chew bubblegum, a tiny bit of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Slightly syrupy. Decent amount of carbonation

Overall: I don't know what the heck is going on with Founder's lately, but in their search for extremely artsy-crafty beers, they seem to be missing the point. You can't just hand me a sugary mess and call it a beer - and this was definitely more like a raspberry soda than a beer.

There definitely needed to be a bitter component to balance this one out. Perhaps if it had been a raspberry chocolate stout, with some bitter dark chocolate or some dark roasted malt to even the path.

This one just goes way to far to the sweet side.

ao125, Sep 23, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

Thank You Gnomefest!

A - Deep red almost purple body with very thin light tan head that fades away very fast. The look of the body is interesting but the consistency of the whole appearance doesn't become a good rating.

S - Raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, I wish it had some Halle Berry. I bet that would smell good.

T - There's a strong raspberry flavor in this brew followed by a bitterness and a finish leaving much to be desired.

M - The brew is wet at the lips but finishes quite dry. Impressive.

~ Unfortunately I'm going to struggle finishing this because of the flavor. It is far too fruity for my liking, or to even really be a beer in my opinion.

cdkrenz, Sep 20, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

Dollfacekilla, Aug 28, 2014
2.43/5  rDev -37%

A - Very deep ruby red color with small pinkish hue head. No head retention and weak lacing.
S - Smells like raspberry as expected. Smells very good.
T - Taste is off. First you get a hit of just "beer" taste. Then as that fades you get super sweet raspberry juice. The flavors just do not meld together until you drink enough of it but by then it is too late.
M - Light and fizzy not really in a good way. Almost like a sparkling fruit juice.
O - I say it is poor overall. If I am looking for a raspberry flavor like this I will go for a Lambic over this any day. This is similar to the Wild Red beer from AB.

phthisis37, Nov 03, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

A- Pours a nice bright red color with a pinkish colored head that fell quickly leaving just a bubbly layer and little lacing.

S- Very very fruity. Raspberries raspberries and more raspberries.

T- Again very fruity and that's about all I could pick up. Not over powering just follow your nose.

M- Light to medium. Not too bad at all maybe a little dry to the finish

D- I suppose for the style its pretty nice just not me type of thing. Too fruity for me glad I got to try it.

nrbw23, May 13, 2008