Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros

Davepoolesque, Jul 04, 2013

egrace84, Jul 06, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

2dogbrew, Nov 24, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

hilgart1, Jul 04, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

a: This was a dull, muddied pink color. It poured with a whispy, soapy head that quickly faded to nothing.

s: Raspberry jam, not much else.

t: Here as well, just raspberries. They are tart with an edge of sweetness that never crosses over into cloying.

m: Pretty still, but it doesn't feel all that thin.

d: Makes for a nice dessert beer. One at a time for me though.

DIM, Dec 02, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

VeganUndead, Mar 01, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Clear, rosy red in hue with a magenta tint, the liquid looks more like wine then beer. The head was white-pink in color, at the apex the foam was over three fingers in height. The bubbles quickly faded to a chunky cap; at least I was now able to pour the remainder of the beer in my glass. The subsequent lacing was very spotty and hardly noteworthy. Overall, this is an attractive looking beverage.

The nose smells akin to raspberry pie. The fruitiness is fresh and alive. I am very impressed. The maltiness is secondary, it is lightly bready. There really isn’t much development beyond that, which is to be expected. Moderate potency, I wish it was chattier. Still, the aromas are inviting.

The palate comes across more beer-like then the nose led on. The fruit is turned down, or maybe I should say, balanced with the malt. Upfront are fresh raspberries, which linger into the middle. At this point the bready malt develops and by the finish the malt is the focal point. Tart at times, it never becomes sugary sweet, in other words, there is a natural fruit arc to the palate. In the realm of raspberries the flavors are well-developed. I can’t detect the alcohol. It tastes like a malty wine cooler… well, I mean, this is clearly a beer; it just happens to be a light, fruity beer. The flavors are lively enough to keep my interest, much like Lindeman's Framboise or New Glarus Raspberry does… from time to time. I must note, I think both of those beers are much better then this one.

Medium-light in body, the carbonation is very active and scrubbing. I like the refreshing nature of the mouthfeel. The fruitiness is not allowed to loiter, which I think is a good thing for this beer.

This beer is drinkable but I am not overly impressed. I mean, it is what it is. Sure, it is a tasty fruity beer. Hell, it is even a fruit beer with balls. I could see this beer working in the right circumstances. I bet this would kick ass with a big green salad with a fruity vinaigrette dressing. Oh yeah! When all is said and done, this is a tasty beer but it just doesn’t wow me. I would like the raspberries to be richer… I like the fact the malt is accounted for however. Close. Very close to greatness. This sample was provided by BuckeyeNation. Thank you very much!

bditty187, Nov 22, 2005
4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

I was able to try Founders Rubaeus at Pranca in Minneapolis. I was pleasantly surprised that they had four tap offerings from Founders. Served in a snifter, the - beer is ruby red with a skim of white head.

It has a big nose of raspberries and grains in the background.

Taste is berries, berries and berries. Not artificial and not overpowering but they rule the roost. Some malts in the background add a touch of balance.

Once in a while beer for me, but it is well executed and pretty darn tasty.

Redrover, Oct 28, 2013

Morey, Jul 06, 2013

duff247, Jul 24, 2013

Sparky44, Jul 27, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

JamLand, Jul 12, 2013
3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours slightly hazy purple ruby with a foamy quarter inch lightly pink head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

Sweet raspberry, light grain and raspberry seed, and soft floral notes form the aroma.

Flavor is intensely raspberry throughout. Sweet initially, the profile turns tart mid palate and finishes almost with a cobbler-esque biscuit malt character, which is slightly dry. The more I drink of it, it does seem somewhat cloying. Herbal hop notes linger in the aftertaste.

Body is moderate, with zesty carbonation, and light alcohol warmth.

Raspberries are one of my favorite fruits. More beery than a new glarus or blushing monk, but the fruit is clearly dominant. I need to buy more of these!

barczar, Jun 28, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Hazy red body, topped by three fingers of level white foam with a slight pink aura.

Plenty of raspberries in the nose.

Taste is sweet juicy raspberries, far more real than the "typical brewpub raspberry (American) wheat". And there is enough quality craft beer present that this is not like some super sweet wine cooler. Just don't look here for a detailed description of the non-raspberry portion of this potion.

Light to medium mouthfeel. Good drinkability - if you like raspberries.

If you're looking for quality fruit beers, definitely worth a try.

RonfromJersey, Sep 23, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

mrebeka, Jun 16, 2013

twenty5, Jul 01, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Rubaeus a couple days ago for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time, so I jumped at the chance to finally try this beer, so I quickly went to the store and got a four pack, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/6/13 so it's pretty damn fresh. Poured from a shorter 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks really nice. it's got a real clean and classy look to it that I really like, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice and different maroon color that took a on a great crimson hue when held to the light that made it look like cranberry juice with two fingers worth of light pink colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it it left some nice looking lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color was really nice and so was the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by lots of Raspberry aromas that seem to be pretty natural smelling and it reminds me exactly of the raspberry jelly that is often used in jelly filled donuts. Up next I get a slight bit of grainy malts but not much. The aroma isn't very complex or balanced but I think it pretty good and it's full of great Raspberry aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of Raspberry which impart a nice and natural flavor that really reminds me of the filling of a jelly donut, it's pretty much spot on. Up next comes some malts which impart a grainy malt flavor with some bready flavors sticking out, the combination makes me think of a lightly toasted piece of white bread with some Raspberry preserve spread on it. On the finish there's no bitterness with a light amount of medium tartness taking it's place and a little more sweetness with a very raspberry preserve like aftertaste. The taste was pretty good, it was very true to it's name, but I think the extra sweetness holds it back a little.

M- Smooth, clean, not filling, pretty refreshing, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I haven't had a Raspberry beer that I really enjoyed, till I had this one, it was a little on the sweet side, but the tartness and raspberry flavors were really nice. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but the sweetness would prevent me fore drinking a lot of this, I think two would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both really nice and full of raspberrys. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was a little high and if it was toned down a little it would help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again, if they choose to release it again, it's priced and right and it's pretty enjoyable, I recommend this to people who like fruit beers and if your a big fan of raspberrys then this beer is a must try. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did a great job at capturing the pure essence of the raspberry, so far it's my favorite raspberry beer and I like it much more than Cerise, it's got to be one of the better fruit beers I have had. Founders seems to be the jack of all trades, they can do stouts, barrel aged beers and hoppy beers really well and now they proved to me that they have some skills when it comes tor fruit beers, good work guys.

StoutHunter, Jun 21, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

jsh420, May 30, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

My last bottle of Rubaeus from the cellar. I hear this one's going on hiatus and being replaced by Cherise. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my snifter. Appears a beautiful shade of maroon with about two fingers of fluffy pink foam. Smell and taste is dominated by, what else, raspberries. The flavor is tart and refreshing with a pleasant bitterness. Moderate body and carbonation. This is a unique fruit beer. One that I believe was made for people that are not keen on the usual fruit beers. This is akin to a raspberry IPA. So, if that sounds like something you'd dig, seek this one out and give it a try before it goes on vacation.

ClockworkOrange, Mar 17, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours pinkish red with a pink foam head that does not last. No lace.

Strong raspberry aroma. Sweet and powerful, but not artificial. That's all you get here.

Big strong sweet/tart raspberry flavor. As the palate clears, you wonder where the beer will be...and you get this subtle flavor of malt. Not raspberries at the end, but very light malt. No sour juice notes, no sugar, but malt. What a unique transition. The fact that the berry does not linger at the end is rare and welcoming.

Light to medium-light in body. Light carbonation keeps this from being a soft drink. Good decision. At the end of the glass and this one seems almost dead still.

Solid fruit beer for a hot summer day. A true raspberry beer. Enjoy.

OtherShoe2, Aug 01, 2013
4.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Hazy reddish amber body with a moderate, dense pink head. The lacing is thick and Belgian-like in appearance, with slight carbonation.

Aroma: Profound aroma of raspberries, as well as vanilla, orange blossom, cream, and honey.

Taste: The taste begins with a strong wave of raspberries, which seem entirely natural. AS the taste progresses, there is a strong wave of orange rind, from the hops, I suppose. Throughout, there is a character of lingering sweetness, which manages to never be cloying. Finishes with a burst of raspberry,and a slight wave of sweet cream.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very full, quite gracious.

Drinkability/notes: Wonderfully crafted, one of the best fruit beers I have ever had, indeed, perhaps the best. The raspberries shine without a hint of cheap alco--pop .

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager sensory glass.

Pegasus, Jun 10, 2014