Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Founders snifter. Picked this up in a build your own pack since I didn't think I would need 4 of these.

Appearance is opaque, dark pink ruby. Translucent around the edges. The head quickly dissipated. In my snifter this beer looks like the skin of a plum.

Aroma is very light malt almost like a berlinner weisse. Lot's of raspberry that seems slightly tart.

Taste is sweet raspberry at first but it goes back and forth with sweetness and a mild raspberry tartness. There is also some light malt peeking through although the raspberry is for sure the focus. It reminds me of a raspberry popsicle from when I was younger.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Small bubbles that make it seem a little champagne-esque. Medium body and not as syrupy as I was expecting (which is a good thing).

Overall this is a great raspberry beer. From my memory I think it is less sweet than the NG Raspberry Tart. I'm glad this comes in a 12 oz and I'm glad I got this in a build your own pack. Satisfying beer but this style isn't one I go far too often.

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It's kind of a ruby red color. I'd didn't get much head. I didn't even get am inch of the white foam.

S - It is loaded with raspberries. I get a little bit of a wheat smell.

T - This tastes like raspberry purée with a hint of beer. This is by far the most raspberry tasting beer that I have had. Most raspberry beers have a stale flavor that I find off putting. This beer tastes fresher and more flavorful.

M - Moderate and pretty smooth

O - I read the hype for this fruit beer and was skeptical. Raspberry has been my least liked fruit beer so far. This beer tastes way fresher than any other raspberry beer. I am glad the cherry crop suffered in Michigan, so I got to try this beer.

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - ruby with a short, fizzy, pink head that has decent retention

S - tart raspberries, some faint malt, a creamy note similar to cool whip

T - mildly tart, big raspberries, a bit sugary, creamy similar to the nose, faint malt in the finish

M - medium bodied, a tad sticky, crisp but not over carbonated

This is one of the better fruit beers I have ever had. It's full flavored without being overpowering or cloying. It has depth of flavor but showcases the raspberries perfectly. For an fruit beer fan, raspberry fan, or simply someone who likes a well crafted beer, this is definitely one that is worth checking out.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%