Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Rubaeus a couple days ago for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time, so I jumped at the chance to finally try this beer, so I quickly went to the store and got a four pack, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/6/13 so it's pretty damn fresh. Poured from a shorter 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks really nice. it's got a real clean and classy look to it that I really like, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice and different maroon color that took a on a great crimson hue when held to the light that made it look like cranberry juice with two fingers worth of light pink colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it it left some nice looking lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color was really nice and so was the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by lots of Raspberry aromas that seem to be pretty natural smelling and it reminds me exactly of the raspberry jelly that is often used in jelly filled donuts. Up next I get a slight bit of grainy malts but not much. The aroma isn't very complex or balanced but I think it pretty good and it's full of great Raspberry aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of Raspberry which impart a nice and natural flavor that really reminds me of the filling of a jelly donut, it's pretty much spot on. Up next comes some malts which impart a grainy malt flavor with some bready flavors sticking out, the combination makes me think of a lightly toasted piece of white bread with some Raspberry preserve spread on it. On the finish there's no bitterness with a light amount of medium tartness taking it's place and a little more sweetness with a very raspberry preserve like aftertaste. The taste was pretty good, it was very true to it's name, but I think the extra sweetness holds it back a little.

M- Smooth, clean, not filling, pretty refreshing, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I haven't had a Raspberry beer that I really enjoyed, till I had this one, it was a little on the sweet side, but the tartness and raspberry flavors were really nice. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but the sweetness would prevent me fore drinking a lot of this, I think two would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both really nice and full of raspberrys. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was a little high and if it was toned down a little it would help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again, if they choose to release it again, it's priced and right and it's pretty enjoyable, I recommend this to people who like fruit beers and if your a big fan of raspberrys then this beer is a must try. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did a great job at capturing the pure essence of the raspberry, so far it's my favorite raspberry beer and I like it much more than Cerise, it's got to be one of the better fruit beers I have had. Founders seems to be the jack of all trades, they can do stouts, barrel aged beers and hoppy beers really well and now they proved to me that they have some skills when it comes tor fruit beers, good work guys.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company