Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,848 | Reviews: 663
4.02/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

So this definitely isn't my style of beers however since its a Founders I'll give it a try. It pours a purple brown, with a purple lace. Very strange looking for a beer. The smell is extremely sweet with an absolute ton of raspberry hitting you right in the face. The taste is more of a raspberry soda than beer, very sweet and a nice tart end. It's actually put together rather nice, which shouldn't come as a surprise from Founders. The feel is a bit syrupy but it does fit with the sweetness. Overall I have to say it has a place. A dessert beer perhaps? Or a summer party. For what this beer is, it's pretty good and will have place in the fridge at he right place and time.

4.13/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours dark red with a 1/4 inch pink head which vanishes quickly. Leaves no lacing. The aroma has pureed raspberries, and nothing else. Smells like it will be quite sweet.

The only thing I can taste are raspberries, which isn't a bad thing. they are sweet without being cloying. There is also a light amount of tartness, which is barely noticeable. Provides nice balance.

Medium bodied with above average carbonation. Complex? No. Good? Yes. Well worth seeking out, and drinking again.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, bottled on 6/10/13, poured into a goblet.

Pours a vivid dark red color with no head with some fizzy carbonated bubbles on the top. The smell is huge.. and of nothing but raspberries. Exactly what it promises. Taste is a bit tart at first with a big raspberry flavor on the finish that lingers on your palate after you swallow. I'd say they nailed what they were going for on this one. Lighter side of medium bodied with low carbonation. I dare to say that the raspberry flavor might just be a bit too much, hurting the drink ability slightly.

Overall this beer delivered on what it promised - raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries. I would have liked it if it was a bit more tart and not entirely fruity, but overall i enjoyed it.

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Rubaeus a couple days ago for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time, so I jumped at the chance to finally try this beer, so I quickly went to the store and got a four pack, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/6/13 so it's pretty damn fresh. Poured from a shorter 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks really nice. it's got a real clean and classy look to it that I really like, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice and different maroon color that took a on a great crimson hue when held to the light that made it look like cranberry juice with two fingers worth of light pink colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it it left some nice looking lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color was really nice and so was the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by lots of Raspberry aromas that seem to be pretty natural smelling and it reminds me exactly of the raspberry jelly that is often used in jelly filled donuts. Up next I get a slight bit of grainy malts but not much. The aroma isn't very complex or balanced but I think it pretty good and it's full of great Raspberry aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of Raspberry which impart a nice and natural flavor that really reminds me of the filling of a jelly donut, it's pretty much spot on. Up next comes some malts which impart a grainy malt flavor with some bready flavors sticking out, the combination makes me think of a lightly toasted piece of white bread with some Raspberry preserve spread on it. On the finish there's no bitterness with a light amount of medium tartness taking it's place and a little more sweetness with a very raspberry preserve like aftertaste. The taste was pretty good, it was very true to it's name, but I think the extra sweetness holds it back a little.

M- Smooth, clean, not filling, pretty refreshing, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I haven't had a Raspberry beer that I really enjoyed, till I had this one, it was a little on the sweet side, but the tartness and raspberry flavors were really nice. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but the sweetness would prevent me fore drinking a lot of this, I think two would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both really nice and full of raspberrys. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was a little high and if it was toned down a little it would help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again, if they choose to release it again, it's priced and right and it's pretty enjoyable, I recommend this to people who like fruit beers and if your a big fan of raspberrys then this beer is a must try. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did a great job at capturing the pure essence of the raspberry, so far it's my favorite raspberry beer and I like it much more than Cerise, it's got to be one of the better fruit beers I have had. Founders seems to be the jack of all trades, they can do stouts, barrel aged beers and hoppy beers really well and now they proved to me that they have some skills when it comes tor fruit beers, good work guys.

4.46/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on tap at a tasting event this past week. Not usually a fan of fruit beers but this was an exception. It poured a nice maroon color and you could definitely smell the fresh raspberries.

Taste was extremely clean, sweet, but not over powerful sweet. I had this alongside the Bell's Wild Raspberry which was much more tart compared to this. This was very smooth. Definitely something I would try again, hoping I can find some bottles at a store in NYC

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Rübæus pours a blood-red cranberry color, accented with some deeper crimson in the center. Exceptional clarity - very clean and sharp looking as it sits in the glass. It's capped with a pink-tinted cumulonimbus layer of foam that leaves back some chunky pieces of lacing and is very slow to digress into a skin. A very elegant looking beer.

Raspberry explosion. Very vibrant, this smells like freshly crushed raspberries, reduced and puréed. Aside from a faint, dry malt undertone in the finish, the aroma is all raspberries... It isn't exactly "complex", but the fruit is done pretty well. Unfortunately, there's a mild chalkiness that makes its way in as the beer warms up, but it's nowhere near as potent as, say, Cerise.

"Raspberry juice" is the first thing to come to mind when I take a sip. Soft and sweet with a light residual sweetness backing up the explosion of raspberry flavors. A mild tartness just tingles the back of the tongue but stays far from the realm of "sour". The sweetness is very controlled and apparent all at once - very juicy and jam like in the finish. Raspberries as far as the palate can taste.

The only other things I can possibly identify other than raspberry spin-offs would be some very light, dry grassy notes, but even then, I may just be reaching for something else. Otherwise, this beer is dominated by raspberries, up and down. Again, not the most complex or revealing beer out there, but who needs complexity when you've got raspberries like this? The mouth feel is thin-medium and kind of slick and oily with medium-high carbonation and a nice snap.

Very good fruit beer. Much, much better than its "sister" beer, Cerise. Luckily, the taste didn't include many of the chalky notes I was eventually getting in the aroma, so that's a big plus. Refreshing and easy-going, drinks more like a wine cooler than a beer, but it tastes great and I love raspberries, so I don't care. I'd love to see Founders make this an "every year" specialty.

EDIT: 7/7/2013

After having had quite a few more bottles of this beer this summer, I've come a cross a few that have a slight chalkiness and medicinal character to them. Nothing like Cerise, just a twinge in the background at times. Other bottles seem to be completely void of this, however, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Still a great beer, but maybe not as perfect as I thought it was at first.

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: The color looked pretty damn good with a dark red color with a pink head.

S: obviously raspberry.

T: Not too sweet, good crisp/sharp raspberry taste.

M: Good carbonation you normally get from a fruit beer.

O: Haven't tried enough "good" fruit beers but I had to try this since it was from Founders and has received some buzz around where I live.

4.26/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So glad they brought this one back. Blushing Monk Junior.

A: Deep reddish-purple. Some white head.

S: Explosive fresh raspberries.

T: Sweet raspberry taste. Alcoholic raspberry juice. Better than Raspberry Tart.

M: Medium body. Well carbonated.

O: Hoping to stock up before this one is gone. So great!

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce stubby bottle.

A- Gorgeous ruby red color with a thin cap of head.

S- Smells of ripe raspberry, raspberry juice, and light malt.

T- Raspberry plays the main role here. Tons of fresh raspberry jam, raspberry juice, sweetness, hop bitterness, and a pilsner like backbone.

M- A little too carbed in my opinion, but otherwise mouthfeel is solid.

Overall a winner. A nice change of pace and quite refreshing.

4.41/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It's backin on tap at Founders tap room as of today 2/13! Last had this beer when I was just starting to get into beer several years ago.
It looks gorgeous in the glass. Deep hazy purple with a thin head that remains for the whole glass, lots of lace.
Smell is pure raspberry fruit.
Easy drinking raspberry flavor with a hint of lemon.
Pure silk in the mouth.
Great overall. One of my all time favorite fruit beers.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

The pour is amber in color with a finger of white head. A very sweet fruit aroma to this, as expected. Lots of raspberry with maybe a touch of cherry to it as well. Not much else going on. The flavor is sweet with notes of sugar and raspberry. Maybe just a little bit of lemon in there, too.

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%

A- Hazy red-pink body with a short-lived white head on top. Not much lacing if at all.

S- Candied raspberries. Like the smell a lot.

T- Raspberry soda pop! Very different. Somewhat tart. Flavor shows some age/oxidation but still drinkable.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little low due to age.

D/O- Held up pretty well. Would drink again but don't know how much longer this will still taste good. Per usual, I'm bless I live so close to new Glarus as no other fruit beers come close. Thanks for the cellar save TATURBO.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Aroma is definitely raspberries, but the taste came across as a nice balance of raspberries and malt. I did not find this to be too syrupy at all although there is more than a hint of the berries in the taste. Still, finishes somewhat dry and tart. Excellent fruit beer.

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

I got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a tulip. The color on this is really nice; a hazy red that reminds me of grapefruit juice. No head on this but it still has a solid body that looks terrific. The smell is shockingly enough full of raspberries. Sweet and tart raspberries, this is fun to smell! The taste is slightly tart raspberries to start and a nice subtly sweet finish. Very nice. The mouthfeel is light and this is a great beer for sipping on. Easy to drink and will be missed.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Appears a clouded yeast ridden suspension tone pink tinged with a large foamy pink head. Looks a bit like Raspberry Jame in color. Thin lace sticks sporadically around my pint glass. Aroma has strong raspberry puree' not overly candy, but it has a nice earthy mix that goes really well tegether, even a bit of raspberry seed. Flavors toss in tart raspberry slurry touch of alcohol presence with realy natural semi swee fruit juice notes, again it's hard to deny the earthy raspberry seed coming through. Mouthfeel is medium bodied crisply carbonated with an assertive sparking raspberry wine dryness left behind on the palate, not syrupy or overly sweet at any time, a killer fruit ale. Drinkability is solid all around strudy alcohol stands up to the earthy fruit sweetness a surprisingly pleasant experience in my glass.

had this and blushing monk next to each other.

a - rich red color. cloudy white head.

s - smell is of sweet raspberry candy and a bit of tartness.

t - sour tartness on the sides, but sweet down the middle. its got afunky flavor I can't place. Much more fruity than Cerise. some slight bitterness.

m - medium body. good carbonation. somewhat of a syrupy feel.

overall - very tasty and way better than cerise.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I grabbed the last four pack the store I work at had. The four pack is at least three years old.

Appearance: pours light, is a light crimson in color, off white head with hints of pink in the foam, translucent and not very cloudy

Smell: smells great, of tart raspberries, light and crisp, not very sweet. smells just like a raspberry tart.

Taste: tastes of tart raspberries and is not overly sweet, slightly malty, is dry and appealing, delicious. it tastes like a raspberry tart.

Mouthfeel: very light bodied, very crisp and well carbonated

Drinkability: extremely drinkable. I've had this beer before but this is top notch aged. I'd greatly recommend grabbing a bottle from someone if any remain. It's too bad this is retired.

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Last bottle folks. Stored in the fridge since I heard the news.

Poured into my usual Ommegang anniversary glass. Half sea foam, half strawberry puree. It settles a touch, but is still quite cloudy.

Smell is still big on raspberries. Not as bright as before, but still very juicy & somewhat sharp. Enough fruit to negate almost anything else except the acid shriveling my tongue.

Tart raspberries & just a little soft strawberry-ish sweetness. Wafer-ish malt & slight oxidation. Jammy, but not enough to alter the texture. Cherry pit bitterness in the finish. Still very good.

Feel was a touch hairy, & the carbonation was big. A sour bite has arrived, but that is sort of welcomed. Alcohol is muted by the acidic nature of the beer.

Cerise? What is this crap?!

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle I've been holding on to...poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours practically a cranberry juice pinkish red color - crystal clear with a thin, uneven cap of white foam...more a collar than a layer on the surface...just some straggling islands sitting on the surface of the beer.

S - Fresh raspberries waft up from the glass with an intensity every bit equal to that of a New Glarus Raspberry Tart (the benchmark for raspberry beers, in my opinion). Not much else comes thru (nor does it need it), maybe just the slightest hint of sweet malt, but pretty much inconsequential. Not very complex, but if you like raspberry, you will not be disappointed...I know I'm not.

T - Taste is of raspberries (shocking) with a dull, somewhat off-tasting malt (wheat?) backing. The raspberry is way up front and as the beer flows over my tongue, I expect a sweet finish, but instead I get a somewhat dry and definitely grainy, and a bit off finish. Can't quite place the flaw here, but thinking probably oxidation with some wet cardboard, a dull, lifeless bitterness and an old grainy flavor too. To be fair, I don't know when this was brewed/bottled... nothing on the bottle. It is a screwtop and at least a year old (as this was discontinued). I seem to remember a better tasting experience when fresher, but this is what you can expect now from this one). Still probably quite good to the raspberry lovers out there, but the age is definitely showing itself here a bit.

M - Thin and a bit on the watery side. Carbonation is medium...just a bit on the tingly side. A somewhat unusual alcohol inhale...seems to be a combination of the raspberry and the alcohol - gives a weird, dry and somewhat stale feeling in the mouth.

D - Think this is a bit past its prime...definitely some age on it...at a guaranteed year on it. Definitely has its merits still, but has seen better days. I will continue to have my last couple periodically thru the summer and still enjoy them, but I know I waited too long on these and missed out on a better experience with these. Oh well...only so much you can drink.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Pours a reddish pink with a small white head. No real retention or lace noted.

S: Aromas of light raspberry, candy sugar, and pale malts.

T: Raspberry for sure not sweet not tart, just somewhere in between. Light malts with hints of caramel sweetness.

M: On the lighter side of body, peppy carbonation.

D: Not bad, just not a favorite of mine.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to jtrockchalk for cleaning out his cellar. Thats how this 2 year old puppy came into my hands.

Poured a 12oz bottle into Fling Saucer globe. I guess this has been discontinued for a while but since I wont have the opportunity to try this again, I figured I would give it a review. This beer pours a mashed raspberry red with a decent 2 inch head that leaves just a little bit of lacing. From the reviews I've read before, the aroma has kind of dwindled off. Crush sweet raspberries with a little bit of pilsner malt. That's all that really comes through. The flavor is much the same. Crushed sweet raspberries mixed with a light malt flavor. Just a slight hint of oxidization which is a bit surprising because most of the older twist top Founders bottles I've had have a heavy layer of cardboard. The mouthfeel is light leaving a lingering raspberry on the palate. Over all this is a good beer. I would have like to have it fresh.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Probably the last time I will ever drink this! I tried this when it was still part of the line-up and fell in love. I nearly cried when it was discontinued. So obviously this bottle is past its prime...
A-Darker pink tone, nice fluffy white head.
S-Lovely waft of raspberries, at this point a slight hint of funk
T-slight sweetness, I seem to recall it tasting better and with more clarity in taste when it was fresh. Taste is now flat with some sweetness.
M- Carbonation doesn't come across in the taste anymore, very flat and one dimensional. I remember it being sweet and glorious a year and a half ago though!
D-This would be so easy to drink glass after glass of, and if it was still around I probably would!

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a well sized, rosy head to it.

Smells heavily of sweet, tart raspberries, almost on par with a lambic. However, unlike a lambic, this has a bit more bitterness to the after taste. That being said, this is a sweet, sweet beer. In essence, it is fermented raspberries in a bottle.

It does seem to be somewhat one dimensional in that regard. However as a semi-lambic, I'm more than comfortable with that title.

If you're into a sweeter beer, this one is definitely for you. Double if you're a fan of raspberries.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Courtesy of capra12 via a 9AM 3 hour beer run to Philly from NY. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Surly pint glass.

A: Vigorous pour yields a .5 finger head with bad retention. Brew is a clear bright red. Lacing is stringy but surprisingly ample.

S: Simple and clean. Raspberries. Juicy (as in ripe and as in "smells like juice"). There's also a subtle and weird apricot somewhere in there.

T: Opens sweet with a nice subtle tartness. A bit rough around the edges at times with a slight bitterness like when you bite into a seed. Raspberries are very prominent and dominate the rest of the flavors but its nicely balanced.

M: Light to medium bodied, slightly coarse and rather carbonated. Watery and finish is messy with a sweet tartness that linger a bit.

D: I like this one for its simplicity and the body makes it more drinkable than it should be. However, I wouldn't go out of my way for this one because of lack of complexity and character.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

I'm a huge fan of Founders, and I even have their t-shirt on thanks to kkipple. I bought this beer though.

A: Light fluffy head that fades quickly like a good sour bottle conditioned beer. Dark and bright rosy reddish pink and hazy color.

N: Nose is raspberry! Some sweet syrup aromas, and the slightest crisp ale aromas, but almost like a raspberry juicy aroma.

T: Starts with a slightly sweet syrup and tons of raspberry. It's got a thick syrup but not too much with sweetness. Again the slightest crisp ale flavor. The raspberry just takes over everything. A slight bitterness. Not much for sour, wild, funky, anything that would give this a beer like taste, or a lambic like beer, instead its just lots of fruit juice.

M: Slight thickness and lots of carbonation.

F: Slightly bitter, and dries off a bit, but mostly still the raspberry juice. This is not a beer, its a fermented raspberry juice. This might be great for some people, especially a feminine beer, but the complete lack of any real beer qualities makes this not reach anywhere near my top beers. I wish I only got 1 instead of a 4 pack.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company