Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Reviews: 672 | Ratings: 3,179
4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

Threw down $11 for a four-pack due to a heat-of-the-moment decision at a liquor store because I hadn't seen this at my bottle shop yet. Bottled 6/17/13, so... not even two weeks old. Poured into a simple clear glass, since there weren't any clean pint glasses.

Appearance: Purple. Maybe a dark ruby. Slight pink, silky head that yields some pretty nice lacing. You can tell right from the start that this is a fruit beer just by looking at it.

Smell: Raspberries. Cotton candy. Some sourness. The sour note I wasn't really expecting, but I liked it... it just reminded me of raspberry candy. Maybe that'd bother some people, but if it would, why the hell are you drinking a fruit beer!?

Taste/feel: That sweet raspberry flavor is there on the start, then sour in the middle, and then there are some bready sorts of malts to remind you that what you are drinking is a beer at the finish. The mouth feel is excellent... there's a nice body that suits this sour/sweet raspberry beer very nicely, but it's just short of being cloying.

I could never sit back and have a bunch of a fruit beer, but if I were going to, this would be my choice. The amount of sweetness with that sour note and then the mouthfeel all works for me very well. Now what I might do is buy a Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout or 2X Stout by Southern Tier and make a dessert beer for champions...

Rubaeus is worth trying... even at the $1 mark-up that I threw down for this four pack, it's a good buy -- as most anything from Founders is.

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep ruby color with a fine, creamy pinkish head. Plenty of juicy raspberries in the nose - clean and sweet. Slightly earthy and natural smelling. Raspberry flavor almost becomes too sweet, but is saved by a late, subtle tartness that keeps things out of syrupy territory. Fresh, simple, fruity, and dry. Extremely drinkable...would be a nice choice for a summer drinker is not for the price tag.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a slightly hazy deep red color with one finger of light pink foam on top. Average retention and good lacing. It's obvious there will be a lot of raspberry flavor in this one.

S: Strong tart raspberry aroma. Tartness and sweetness balance each other well.

T: Similar to the aroma, there is a ton of raspberry flavor in this one. Again, the sweetness and tartness balance well. Straightforward, but nice.

M: Medium thickness with fairly strong carbonation.

O: A straightforward, tasty fruit beer. Refreshing, too - a great beer for the summer.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. The beer is a hazy reddish color with a fluffy pinkish head that retains pretty well and laces the glass nicely. I get lots of fresh raspberries on the nose as well as a hint of almond.

The beer has a light body and could definitely use a bit more carbonation to wake up the tastebuds more. I get a mild grainy flavor of cereal and a pleasant hit of fresh raspberries that strangely seems to start out tart and sweeten as the beer moves across the palate. The flavors mellow out in the back of the mouth, rendering the finish unremarkable. It's unfortunate that the raspberry flavor in this beer isn't more intense. If it was, we might be talking about an incredible beer. Still, the beer is quite pleasant and enjoyable with no objectionable characteristics.

Overall, a delightful addition to the Founders stable (and an appropriate substitute for Cerise), yet in my opinion it's a little pricey for the quality. Nevertheless, if the supply at my local bottle shop holds out, I can see myself splurging on another 4-pack of this to get me through the hot summer months.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A nice summer beer. Looks appealing. Deep ruby red with a pinkish head.

Smells of jammy raspberries. Very sugary sweet on the nose but not overpowering.

Tastes of sweet ripe raspberries. Follows the nose on the sweetness. Not something I could have more than one in a sitting. Would like it a bit more tart.

Medium carb and feel.

Worth trying on a warm summer evening.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip

A - Looks great, nice ruby red with a 2 finger salmon colored cap. Minimal lacing, which I expect from this type of beer.

S - Nice fresh, juicy raspberries. Hints of some grape and other fruits, but mostly raspberries.

T - It is very good, but it's hard to rate it high when I am used to Raspberry Tart. This is much more sweet, like a soda compared to Tart. Raspberries for sure, but it almost seems blended with other fruits. I definitely enjoy it.

M - Nice carbonation and very refreshing and wet.

O - Solid fruit beer and well done. I prefer the added dimensions of the New Glarus, but do enjoy Founders efforts.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a british pint glass, served quite cold (was in the freezer for 20 minutes).

This is hands-down the most beautiful looking beer I have ever seen in my life. It pours a thick, deep pomegranate red with a substantial hello-kitty-pink head that quickly subsists. Held up to a light or the sun, it almost ignites with sparkling color. The smell is pure raspberry, though more muted than a pail or tin full of the real deal.
The taste is profoundly fruity and juicy (but not at all overly sweet); the raspberries are clearly the main attraction, and it fades quickly to a pie-crust-like rich malt. If there are any hops whatsoever, they're impossible to detect against the pleasantly astringent berry notes. The aftertaste is more complex - coppery, earthy, with a small funky hint of something almost like compost or brettanomyces. It's nothing terribly complex, but it's intensely delicious and refreshing. It leaves a bizarre, bitter and astringent mouthfeel, like unwashed fresh vegetable greens - it's not unpleasant, but it's profoundly odd compared to the delicate simplicity that came before.

In short, this is easily the best fruit beer i've had to date, and my only regret is that the case I picked up was the absolute last and I won't be able to get even more!

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours slightly hazy purple ruby with a foamy quarter inch lightly pink head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

Sweet raspberry, light grain and raspberry seed, and soft floral notes form the aroma.

Flavor is intensely raspberry throughout. Sweet initially, the profile turns tart mid palate and finishes almost with a cobbler-esque biscuit malt character, which is slightly dry. The more I drink of it, it does seem somewhat cloying. Herbal hop notes linger in the aftertaste.

Body is moderate, with zesty carbonation, and light alcohol warmth.

Raspberries are one of my favorite fruits. More beery than a new glarus or blushing monk, but the fruit is clearly dominant. I need to buy more of these!

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Gorgeous scarlet with nice pink head that I wished persisted a little longer.

Smell: Raspberries. Not much else to say, but I like it.

Taste: Raspberry dominated, with a mix of the sweet and tart. There seem to be some deeper fruit and caramel notes as well. The finish is peppery, tart and even a little tannic.

Feel: A little sticky from the amount of juice, leaving a coating on the teeth. The drier, tarter finish does help.

Overall: I am happy that they brought this back, as I prefer it over Cerise, but I am partial to raspberries over cherries.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

So this definitely isn't my style of beers however since its a Founders I'll give it a try. It pours a purple brown, with a purple lace. Very strange looking for a beer. The smell is extremely sweet with an absolute ton of raspberry hitting you right in the face. The taste is more of a raspberry soda than beer, very sweet and a nice tart end. It's actually put together rather nice, which shouldn't come as a surprise from Founders. The feel is a bit syrupy but it does fit with the sweetness. Overall I have to say it has a place. A dessert beer perhaps? Or a summer party. For what this beer is, it's pretty good and will have place in the fridge at he right place and time.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours dark red with a 1/4 inch pink head which vanishes quickly. Leaves no lacing. The aroma has pureed raspberries, and nothing else. Smells like it will be quite sweet.

The only thing I can taste are raspberries, which isn't a bad thing. they are sweet without being cloying. There is also a light amount of tartness, which is barely noticeable. Provides nice balance.

Medium bodied with above average carbonation. Complex? No. Good? Yes. Well worth seeking out, and drinking again.

3.92/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, bottled on 6/10/13, poured into a goblet.

Pours a vivid dark red color with no head with some fizzy carbonated bubbles on the top. The smell is huge.. and of nothing but raspberries. Exactly what it promises. Taste is a bit tart at first with a big raspberry flavor on the finish that lingers on your palate after you swallow. I'd say they nailed what they were going for on this one. Lighter side of medium bodied with low carbonation. I dare to say that the raspberry flavor might just be a bit too much, hurting the drink ability slightly.

Overall this beer delivered on what it promised - raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries. I would have liked it if it was a bit more tart and not entirely fruity, but overall i enjoyed it.

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Rubaeus a couple days ago for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time, so I jumped at the chance to finally try this beer, so I quickly went to the store and got a four pack, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/6/13 so it's pretty damn fresh. Poured from a shorter 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks really nice. it's got a real clean and classy look to it that I really like, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice and different maroon color that took a on a great crimson hue when held to the light that made it look like cranberry juice with two fingers worth of light pink colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it it left some nice looking lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color was really nice and so was the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by lots of Raspberry aromas that seem to be pretty natural smelling and it reminds me exactly of the raspberry jelly that is often used in jelly filled donuts. Up next I get a slight bit of grainy malts but not much. The aroma isn't very complex or balanced but I think it pretty good and it's full of great Raspberry aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of Raspberry which impart a nice and natural flavor that really reminds me of the filling of a jelly donut, it's pretty much spot on. Up next comes some malts which impart a grainy malt flavor with some bready flavors sticking out, the combination makes me think of a lightly toasted piece of white bread with some Raspberry preserve spread on it. On the finish there's no bitterness with a light amount of medium tartness taking it's place and a little more sweetness with a very raspberry preserve like aftertaste. The taste was pretty good, it was very true to it's name, but I think the extra sweetness holds it back a little.

M- Smooth, clean, not filling, pretty refreshing, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I haven't had a Raspberry beer that I really enjoyed, till I had this one, it was a little on the sweet side, but the tartness and raspberry flavors were really nice. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but the sweetness would prevent me fore drinking a lot of this, I think two would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both really nice and full of raspberrys. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was a little high and if it was toned down a little it would help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again, if they choose to release it again, it's priced and right and it's pretty enjoyable, I recommend this to people who like fruit beers and if your a big fan of raspberrys then this beer is a must try. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did a great job at capturing the pure essence of the raspberry, so far it's my favorite raspberry beer and I like it much more than Cerise, it's got to be one of the better fruit beers I have had. Founders seems to be the jack of all trades, they can do stouts, barrel aged beers and hoppy beers really well and now they proved to me that they have some skills when it comes tor fruit beers, good work guys.

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on tap at a tasting event this past week. Not usually a fan of fruit beers but this was an exception. It poured a nice maroon color and you could definitely smell the fresh raspberries.

Taste was extremely clean, sweet, but not over powerful sweet. I had this alongside the Bell's Wild Raspberry which was much more tart compared to this. This was very smooth. Definitely something I would try again, hoping I can find some bottles at a store in NYC

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Rübæus pours a blood-red cranberry color, accented with some deeper crimson in the center. Exceptional clarity - very clean and sharp looking as it sits in the glass. It's capped with a pink-tinted cumulonimbus layer of foam that leaves back some chunky pieces of lacing and is very slow to digress into a skin. A very elegant looking beer.

Raspberry explosion. Very vibrant, this smells like freshly crushed raspberries, reduced and puréed. Aside from a faint, dry malt undertone in the finish, the aroma is all raspberries... It isn't exactly "complex", but the fruit is done pretty well. Unfortunately, there's a mild chalkiness that makes its way in as the beer warms up, but it's nowhere near as potent as, say, Cerise.

"Raspberry juice" is the first thing to come to mind when I take a sip. Soft and sweet with a light residual sweetness backing up the explosion of raspberry flavors. A mild tartness just tingles the back of the tongue but stays far from the realm of "sour". The sweetness is very controlled and apparent all at once - very juicy and jam like in the finish. Raspberries as far as the palate can taste.

The only other things I can possibly identify other than raspberry spin-offs would be some very light, dry grassy notes, but even then, I may just be reaching for something else. Otherwise, this beer is dominated by raspberries, up and down. Again, not the most complex or revealing beer out there, but who needs complexity when you've got raspberries like this? The mouth feel is thin-medium and kind of slick and oily with medium-high carbonation and a nice snap.

Very good fruit beer. Much, much better than its "sister" beer, Cerise. Luckily, the taste didn't include many of the chalky notes I was eventually getting in the aroma, so that's a big plus. Refreshing and easy-going, drinks more like a wine cooler than a beer, but it tastes great and I love raspberries, so I don't care. I'd love to see Founders make this an "every year" specialty.

EDIT: 7/7/2013

After having had quite a few more bottles of this beer this summer, I've come a cross a few that have a slight chalkiness and medicinal character to them. Nothing like Cerise, just a twinge in the background at times. Other bottles seem to be completely void of this, however, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Still a great beer, but maybe not as perfect as I thought it was at first.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: The color looked pretty damn good with a dark red color with a pink head.

S: obviously raspberry.

T: Not too sweet, good crisp/sharp raspberry taste.

M: Good carbonation you normally get from a fruit beer.

O: Haven't tried enough "good" fruit beers but I had to try this since it was from Founders and has received some buzz around where I live.

4.26/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So glad they brought this one back. Blushing Monk Junior.

A: Deep reddish-purple. Some white head.

S: Explosive fresh raspberries.

T: Sweet raspberry taste. Alcoholic raspberry juice. Better than Raspberry Tart.

M: Medium body. Well carbonated.

O: Hoping to stock up before this one is gone. So great!

4.23/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce stubby bottle.

A- Gorgeous ruby red color with a thin cap of head.

S- Smells of ripe raspberry, raspberry juice, and light malt.

T- Raspberry plays the main role here. Tons of fresh raspberry jam, raspberry juice, sweetness, hop bitterness, and a pilsner like backbone.

M- A little too carbed in my opinion, but otherwise mouthfeel is solid.

Overall a winner. A nice change of pace and quite refreshing.

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It's backin on tap at Founders tap room as of today 2/13! Last had this beer when I was just starting to get into beer several years ago.
It looks gorgeous in the glass. Deep hazy purple with a thin head that remains for the whole glass, lots of lace.
Smell is pure raspberry fruit.
Easy drinking raspberry flavor with a hint of lemon.
Pure silk in the mouth.
Great overall. One of my all time favorite fruit beers.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

The pour is amber in color with a finger of white head. A very sweet fruit aroma to this, as expected. Lots of raspberry with maybe a touch of cherry to it as well. Not much else going on. The flavor is sweet with notes of sugar and raspberry. Maybe just a little bit of lemon in there, too.

3.57/5  rDev -8%

A- Hazy red-pink body with a short-lived white head on top. Not much lacing if at all.

S- Candied raspberries. Like the smell a lot.

T- Raspberry soda pop! Very different. Somewhat tart. Flavor shows some age/oxidation but still drinkable.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little low due to age.

D/O- Held up pretty well. Would drink again but don't know how much longer this will still taste good. Per usual, I'm bless I live so close to new Glarus as no other fruit beers come close. Thanks for the cellar save TATURBO.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Aroma is definitely raspberries, but the taste came across as a nice balance of raspberries and malt. I did not find this to be too syrupy at all although there is more than a hint of the berries in the taste. Still, finishes somewhat dry and tart. Excellent fruit beer.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

I got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a tulip. The color on this is really nice; a hazy red that reminds me of grapefruit juice. No head on this but it still has a solid body that looks terrific. The smell is shockingly enough full of raspberries. Sweet and tart raspberries, this is fun to smell! The taste is slightly tart raspberries to start and a nice subtly sweet finish. Very nice. The mouthfeel is light and this is a great beer for sipping on. Easy to drink and will be missed.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Appears a clouded yeast ridden suspension tone pink tinged with a large foamy pink head. Looks a bit like Raspberry Jame in color. Thin lace sticks sporadically around my pint glass. Aroma has strong raspberry puree' not overly candy, but it has a nice earthy mix that goes really well tegether, even a bit of raspberry seed. Flavors toss in tart raspberry slurry touch of alcohol presence with realy natural semi swee fruit juice notes, again it's hard to deny the earthy raspberry seed coming through. Mouthfeel is medium bodied crisply carbonated with an assertive sparking raspberry wine dryness left behind on the palate, not syrupy or overly sweet at any time, a killer fruit ale. Drinkability is solid all around strudy alcohol stands up to the earthy fruit sweetness a surprisingly pleasant experience in my glass.

had this and blushing monk next to each other.

a - rich red color. cloudy white head.

s - smell is of sweet raspberry candy and a bit of tartness.

t - sour tartness on the sides, but sweet down the middle. its got afunky flavor I can't place. Much more fruity than Cerise. some slight bitterness.

m - medium body. good carbonation. somewhat of a syrupy feel.

overall - very tasty and way better than cerise.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company