Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Founders Rübæus Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Raspberry juice in color with a small and quickly diminishing head. Medicinal fruit aroma, raspberry mainly, but a hint of cherry as well, with light hints of malt and hops barely showing through the fruit aroma. Flavor is overwhelming with raspberry and although it is quite vibrant, I can’t say I enjoy the malt and hop combo. Light caramel and cookie-like malt is present on the palate as well. Overall, I found it to be a nice alternative to American wheat beer

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

a: This was a dull, muddied pink color. It poured with a whispy, soapy head that quickly faded to nothing.

s: Raspberry jam, not much else.

t: Here as well, just raspberries. They are tart with an edge of sweetness that never crosses over into cloying.

m: Pretty still, but it doesn't feel all that thin.

d: Makes for a nice dessert beer. One at a time for me though.

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

I was able to try Founders Rubaeus at Pranca in Minneapolis. I was pleasantly surprised that they had four tap offerings from Founders. Served in a snifter, the - beer is ruby red with a skim of white head.

It has a big nose of raspberries and grains in the background.

Taste is berries, berries and berries. Not artificial and not overpowering but they rule the roost. Some malts in the background add a touch of balance.

Once in a while beer for me, but it is well executed and pretty darn tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Hazy red body, topped by three fingers of level white foam with a slight pink aura.

Plenty of raspberries in the nose.

Taste is sweet juicy raspberries, far more real than the "typical brewpub raspberry (American) wheat". And there is enough quality craft beer present that this is not like some super sweet wine cooler. Just don't look here for a detailed description of the non-raspberry portion of this potion.

Light to medium mouthfeel. Good drinkability - if you like raspberries.

If you're looking for quality fruit beers, definitely worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Clear, rosy red in hue with a magenta tint, the liquid looks more like wine then beer. The head was white-pink in color, at the apex the foam was over three fingers in height. The bubbles quickly faded to a chunky cap; at least I was now able to pour the remainder of the beer in my glass. The subsequent lacing was very spotty and hardly noteworthy. Overall, this is an attractive looking beverage.

The nose smells akin to raspberry pie. The fruitiness is fresh and alive. I am very impressed. The maltiness is secondary, it is lightly bready. There really isn’t much development beyond that, which is to be expected. Moderate potency, I wish it was chattier. Still, the aromas are inviting.

The palate comes across more beer-like then the nose led on. The fruit is turned down, or maybe I should say, balanced with the malt. Upfront are fresh raspberries, which linger into the middle. At this point the bready malt develops and by the finish the malt is the focal point. Tart at times, it never becomes sugary sweet, in other words, there is a natural fruit arc to the palate. In the realm of raspberries the flavors are well-developed. I can’t detect the alcohol. It tastes like a malty wine cooler… well, I mean, this is clearly a beer; it just happens to be a light, fruity beer. The flavors are lively enough to keep my interest, much like Lindeman's Framboise or New Glarus Raspberry does… from time to time. I must note, I think both of those beers are much better then this one.

Medium-light in body, the carbonation is very active and scrubbing. I like the refreshing nature of the mouthfeel. The fruitiness is not allowed to loiter, which I think is a good thing for this beer.

This beer is drinkable but I am not overly impressed. I mean, it is what it is. Sure, it is a tasty fruity beer. Hell, it is even a fruit beer with balls. I could see this beer working in the right circumstances. I bet this would kick ass with a big green salad with a fruity vinaigrette dressing. Oh yeah! When all is said and done, this is a tasty beer but it just doesn’t wow me. I would like the raspberries to be richer… I like the fact the malt is accounted for however. Close. Very close to greatness. This sample was provided by BuckeyeNation. Thank you very much!

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- Pours an amber purple/pink with a nice finger of soft pink head - very near white. Ok retention, decent lacing.

S - Lots of sweet/slightly tart raspberries. Honestly that's about it, it does smell delectable though

T - Tons of sweet/slightly sour raspberry. Not really tart imo. If you like raspberry lambics you'll probably like this, just not nearly as sour. Tasty for what it is.

M - Light bodied, decent carbonation, very very drinkable.

O - It is what it says it's going to be. Just a burst of great (slightly sour) sweet raspberry flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Hazy reddish amber body with a moderate, dense pink head. The lacing is thick and Belgian-like in appearance, with slight carbonation.

Aroma: Profound aroma of raspberries, as well as vanilla, orange blossom, cream, and honey.

Taste: The taste begins with a strong wave of raspberries, which seem entirely natural. AS the taste progresses, there is a strong wave of orange rind, from the hops, I suppose. Throughout, there is a character of lingering sweetness, which manages to never be cloying. Finishes with a burst of raspberry,and a slight wave of sweet cream.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very full, quite gracious.

Drinkability/notes: Wonderfully crafted, one of the best fruit beers I have ever had, indeed, perhaps the best. The raspberries shine without a hint of cheap alco--pop .

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager sensory glass.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Hazy, deep pink with a light pink top.

Aroma: Raspberry syrup.

Flavor: Sweet and slightly tart raspberry. Virtually no malt/hop/yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, rather refreshing.

Overall: There's not much to say about this brew. It tastes like raspberries, and it tastes awesome. Nothing insanely complex. Just delicious raspberry beer. Nothing wrong with that, and I look forward to it every summer.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It's kind of a ruby red color. I'd didn't get much head. I didn't even get am inch of the white foam.

S - It is loaded with raspberries. I get a little bit of a wheat smell.

T - This tastes like raspberry purée with a hint of beer. This is by far the most raspberry tasting beer that I have had. Most raspberry beers have a stale flavor that I find off putting. This beer tastes fresher and more flavorful.

M - Moderate and pretty smooth

O - I read the hype for this fruit beer and was skeptical. Raspberry has been my least liked fruit beer so far. This beer tastes way fresher than any other raspberry beer. I am glad the cherry crop suffered in Michigan, so I got to try this beer.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Pours a nice bright red color with a pinkish colored head that fell quickly leaving just a bubbly layer and little lacing.

S- Very very fruity. Raspberries raspberries and more raspberries.

T- Again very fruity and that's about all I could pick up. Not over powering just follow your nose.

M- Light to medium. Not too bad at all maybe a little dry to the finish

D- I suppose for the style its pretty nice just not me type of thing. Too fruity for me glad I got to try it.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2013-07-03 in Columbia, PA

A - Reasonably clear dark red with a 1-finger light pink head that drops to nothing very quickly, leaving little lace.

S - Fresh sweet/tart raspberries and just a touch of malt.

T - Initial flavor is a balanced blend of malt and raspberry, quickly favoring the raspberry flavor. It's sufficiently sweet but has some offsetting tartness. The malt reappears so you know you are drinking a beer. Doesn't leave a cloying sweetness, thankfully. Very little bitterness.

M - Medium body and light carbonation. Substantial, not overly syrupy.

O - It's a well-done fruit beer. I would've enjoyed a more tart flavor and finish. Easy to drink on a hot summer day.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company