Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Founders Rübæus - Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.
Reviews: 629 | Hads: 2,954
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Since a six pack of this brew is so damn expensive at my local packy (by the way the only one I have ever seen it at) I decided I'de pick up a single 12 ouncer to see if it was worth picking up the whole thing. Anyway, poured into a Triple Eight Vodka sampler glass (associated with Cisco brewery). Coloration was reddish, with a pink head that faded quickly. Just looking at the head fading made me think that this is one really carbonated beer. Aroma was definitely filled with rasberry, but I could also almost smell the vine that they came off of. The earth factor gave it a more realistic fruit beer characteristic I think. Taste was of tart rasberries, more green earth tastes. It sort of reminded me of rubarb pie in a way (guess that is appropriate considering the title). Mouthfeel was relatively light in body, but very easy to drink. Most of the time when I have Founders beers, I can immediately tell that it is one of theirs. If I was to do a blind sampling of this one however, I would have never guessed it came from Founders. Most of the time when I try fruit beers, they have a generic taste to them, but this one delivered in the end. By no means one of Founders best offerings, but I think i'de try it again. (1,227 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Date is smudged but I can make out that it's from June 2013. Pours a deep red/violet body with two quick fingers worth of pink stained foam. Pretty solid lacing and retention. Aroma is raspberry jam and some caramel malts. Zero hop presence. Taste is similar with tart raspberries and malts. Not as juicy or fruity as New Glarus raspberry tart but on a similar page. Slightly syrupy but never daunting. This is a really solid fruit beer, I just can't believe I'd be in the mood for it that often. (529 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Almost a drain pour. I was not alone in disliking this beer among 3 fellow tasters.
Gave away the rest. I'm a huge fan of Founders.

A: Dark rosy pink hazed body with a wispy head that fades and no lace. No body.

N: Nose is raspberry soda.

T: Starts with a sweet syrup and much too much raspberry.The raspberry takes over. No bitterness, too much sweet. It lacks the sour, wild, funky, anything.... Its fruit juice.

F: To sweet and too much carbonation. It's soda.

Pass or drain pour. Good for flowers? (511 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -60.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

"chicks should dig it" But well they won't "drink a lot."

Founders has been on a overly sugary mess role lately. The entire back stage series should read "crap we put to much sugar in it" series. This is staying with that theme. I'm really starting to consider down grading the brewery as they just keep turning out bad beer after bad beer lately.

Pour a fruit juice body with a bit a head.

Sugar, raspberry, alcohol, hint of hops, and sugar. Yes I said sugar twice.

There's some beer here, hints of hops and hints of wheat but all of it over blasted by sugary rasberry. It hints at tart but isn't tart. It brings out flavors I like in sours but it isn't sour. This is a huge step back from their Ceries which at last has some sour elements even if it's mostly a sugary cherry mess.

I have no desire for more of this and I can't imagine drinking this outside in the heat. The sugar would just make one sick.

It's not normal I guess so have one? But it's a beer I'll never have again. Not good. If this is a style stop making it. Founders look guys, you're better than this! (1,083 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Poured into a snifter, the beer was magenta in color with some white bubbles along the sides of the glass.

Smell - Big surprise, it smelled like raspberry. The aroma was not overwhelming or particularly sweet. It was almost like a wine.

Taste - Anybody remember the Sundance sparking waters of the late 1980's. This is the raspberry flavor. It is a little tart with a diet soda like note in the aftertaste. The raspberry really does not stay potent for long.

Mouthfeel - This is an easy drinking fruit beer. Lightly carbonated, not too thick.

Overall - The closet comparison would be New Glarus Raspberry Tart. Rubaeus loses that contest in a first round knock out. The fruit is not as potent as I would like, and the aftertaste in this one is a detriment. (773 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

summer's trace is the braze of red path across my neck, to quench the thirst of season I reach for...

eyes...
1 finger of head sticks around as long as the french army in WW2, she recedes back to a gentle o-ring at record pace, lacing and legs are apparent and adequate, cloudy dark roset, a modicum of carbonation is making the pilgrimage to the holy o-ring of foam, decent looking all in all

nose...
raspberries and then more raspberries, a slight tinge of sour in the end but this just smells like a box of fresh berries, one dimensional ? sure. But when that one dimension makes you forget about the other dimensions.. it demands note. delicious.

taste etc...
the carbonation smacks a bit (nicely) making this refreshing, good fullish sensation in the mouth, the flavor is as expected, an ale with tons of raspberry flavor, the tartness of the berries really lends to the drinkability here, the ABV is no where to be found (maybe a bit heavy handed for a summer brew, but not for me). Like Pam Anderson, this beer goes down great (every time).

verdict?
like rasp lambics but don't want so much acid ? or a little more ABV kick ? find this stuff (go now, I'll still be here when you come back)

this beer is delicious... (1,227 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Saw this at Downtown Wine and Spirits yesterday and bought a few bottles. Was disapointed that it was so carbonated upon initial pouring, not sure why it just immediately came out of the bottle and overflowed my glas. so much. There's a good deal left though, so here goes. Actually left pink cotton candy floss on the sides of my glass. Aroma is maybe it's best feature, this one really smells like fresh raspberries. Tastewise, I guess I expected more....I think the rasberries only show themselves in the finish. Upfront there's some malt, and a strange yeastiness (anything wild at all in this one??). It does appear to be unfiltered as colorwise, it is cloudy/dusty raspberry in color. It is tart, I don't really find it that sweet at all. Mouthfeel isn't bad. (765 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. The color is deep mahogany. There are a few bubbles but not much of a head otherwise.

The aroma has sweet cherry and that's about it.

This tastes very sweet. There is rich cherry. This makes for a great dessert sipper. Hints of vanilla are noted after a few sips.

This is full bodied and slightly syrupy.

I would say this belongs on pancakes if I wasn't so loyal to maple syrup. This is very sweet so a little goes a long way. The flavor is good and the quality high; this might just not be for me. (532 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

A- good clarity, strawberry red. very small pink head, fades really fast.

S- very nice raspberry smell. Smells real fresh.

T- very light base with a good raspberry flavor. Not as tart as I thought it would be just from the raspberry flavor, but still quite good.

M- very light, carbonation on the higher side, as expected.

D- a good fruit beer. One of the better ones out there. (382 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love me some Founders. Took awhile, however, to give this a whirl. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my snifter. Next to zero head, though a unique deep ruby hue that demanded a longer look than I give most brews. Aroma of clear raspberry (I hope, right?), light citrus, and a hint of malty goodness. Not as much actual raspberry to the taste... quite subtle really. A nice refreshing tart aftertaste. Light carbonation and slightly dry in the mouth (was thinking that it might be too syrupy sweet) and pleased overall. I would not buy this again (even though it was good, not really my thing)... but was happy for the experience. Delicate touch to a beer that could have been a raspberry nightmare. (700 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a deep, ruby red to almost brown color. Hazy and ruddy looking in the body with about a 1.5 finger, pink head. Retention is pretty good down to a thinner film on the top, which also laces pretty well.

S- Fruity and sweet with only the slightest bit of tart flavor detectable. This scent is fairly one dimensional all the way through the smell, with no malts to be found by the nose.

T- Wow! Holy fruit bomb! Starts with a slight hit of tart raspberry flavor before moving towards a much sweeter berry flavor. The tart to sweet progression would be ideal for a hot, humid summer day. Towards the back end of the drink, the sweetness intensifies then fades slightly to reveal just a few hints of a solid, malty backbone. Sweetness lingers a bit on the tongue after each sip.

M- Light in body and high in carbonation would lend this to feeling like your typical summer beer, but a high amount of sweetness makes this feel somewhat syrupy. The sweetness is intense across the palate, giving a slick feel.

Overall, this was much sweeter than I expected, but a good change of pace for a summer seasonal. I would recommend that anyone looking at trying this wait until it's hot as hell out, then go for it. (1,212 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

From notes on 3/25/14

On tap at the KBS release. Out of all the beers we tried that night, this was my least favorite, but it was still good. Light ruby colored body. Taste of sour cranberries with some malt characters. I may have rated this higher, but living in Wisconsin and having access to New Glarus and there tart beers have really made all others tough to compare. Still pretty good. (392 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A nice summer beer. Looks appealing. Deep ruby red with a pinkish head.

Smells of jammy raspberries. Very sugary sweet on the nose but not overpowering.

Tastes of sweet ripe raspberries. Follows the nose on the sweetness. Not something I could have more than one in a sitting. Would like it a bit more tart.

Medium carb and feel.

Worth trying on a warm summer evening. (372 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into DFH footed pint glass; deep, well, ruby in color, translucent, with a moderate clear white head that fades leaving a small ring of intricate foam.
Smells of fresh raspberries mostly; I'm trying to keep in mind "this is founders...this is founders..." because the smell of fruit and beer reminds me of so much gas station flavored malt liquor.
Taste is fresh, sweet raspberries over top of wide-open plain malt, wet and slightly metallic.
Mouthfeel is wet and thin.
Overall, I'm not very impressed by this beer. It's like a moderately better version of a standard raspberry-flavored malt beverage. Don't misunderstand me, it's far more drinkable and enjoyable than those abominations, but it's nothing amazing. Also, I'm not a fan of fruit beers anyway; I would have much rather enjoyed a raspberry sour. (818 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer pours out purple with a huge pink head. The aroma is real raspberries with toasted malt, and a little distracting sourness. The flavor is a wheat beer body with lots of raspberries. The berries taste good, the right combination of tart and sweet. I did not like the yeast in this beer. It has a sour taste that's noticable even with all the raspberries. Mouthfeel is medium. I don't think I could drink many of these in a session. Better than most fruit beers, but nothing extraordinary. (497 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a reddish-purple hue, topped off with a fizzy, light-pink colored head. Looks very much like a glass of pop when first poured. Midway through, it takes over the foamy, nice-lacing look of a good brew. The nose is strong of raspberries, as you would imagine, and there is a faint sweet malt scent hidden in the background.

Wow, the taste is powerful. Heavy raspberries, blackberries, and other tart fruits completely take over the taste of this beer. ( It is still a little warm, I couldnt wait for it to get cold, which might have a lot to do with the overwhelming raspberry aftertaste.) Yet it is quite tasty considering the style, I will try this one again, ice cold, to see if it brings out any other flavors.

The mouthfeel ranks a little higher than medium-bodied, which I didnt expect. Very outstanding balanced on the way down. This one is good, but drinking more than one would be too sweet and too much berry overload. Not really my style, but still definitly worth a try. Cheers! (998 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Undated 12oz twist top stubby poured into a pint glass.

Clear crimson with a huge, Whitish pink head that leaves globs of lace.

Smells of real raspberries, not berry flavoring. Some floral hops underneath pair well with the berry tartness.

The raspberries are also strong in the taste, with the suggestion of hop bitterness again working with the berries. Not much else going on, but I do appreciate tasting real berries instead of generic berry juice/synthetic flavoring.

Moderate to light mouthfeel. Unimpressive but I don't see anything fuller helping this one out. This could be a good hot day beer, or a good one to pair with poultry. (651 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours red in color with a hint of tan and a pink soap foam. Lots of little carbonation bubbles. Head has good retention for a fruit beer.

Nose is dominated by a big sweet raspberry note with a subtle grainy malt backbone. Smells fairly balanced for a fruit beer.

The sweetness that was present in the nose is also present in the taste however it's balanced out nicely with tartness from the raspberries. There is also a bready malt smoothness that helps balance the sharp sweet and tart notes.

Mouthfeel is good, high carbonation, light feel and very refreshing

Overall very good for a fruit ale, one of the better ones for the style. (638 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Ruby red color. Head of about a finger, not as much as I expected though. Active carbonation in the glass while drinking.

Smell: An artificial sugary scent hits the nose right away. Some semi sweet malt is mixed in as well. The raspberry accents are pretty well done here, noticeable but not overpowering.

Taste: Some caramel malt accents hits the palate first. Then there comes the artificial sugary sweetness which goes hand and hand with an average raspberry presence. There is a tart presence, but does not really play a major part here. The raspberry come through more sugary then anything else. The finish fades away with some decent character.

Mouthfeel: Slightly dry finish from the strong sugary accents.

Overall: Maybe I'm spoiled from having New Glarus Raspberry Tart easily obtainable, but Rubaeus definitely falls short of that masterpiece. The raspberry accents seem to get slightly lost in a sugary blast. A solid brew, but I wouldn't call it much more then that. (996 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Many thanks to orbitalr0x for this one...just received today. Must have took a beating in shipping, as it lost a bit of its contents en route. Popped the cap to tons of carbonation as expected.
Pours a real dark cherry color w/ sudsy pink head...pretty cool.
Tons of head w/ very impressive lacing sticking to the side of my pint glass.
Smell dominated by rasberries of course, but a nice amount of malt as well.
The taste is enjoyable...could be a bit cooler, but under the circumstances I wanted to crack this one open before too much air spoiled the experience. A full on explosion of rasberries and a nice bitter finish...very clean in its aftertaste w/ no lingering flavors.
Again, a nice dose of malts to keep this one from being too fruity or "wine cooler" like.
Mouthfeel is average and the carbonation is what I was expecting...even thanks to our friends at FedEx.
I could enjoy a couple of these w/ little effort.
Another fine offering from Founders...a nice addition to my latest trade. (1,005 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I got this one from the “I want THAT BIF: Round 3” thanks to BeerBeing.

The color is a rusty, dull red with virtually no foam or noticeable carbonation. The eye candy is more on the color than anything else.

Aromas of tart, fresh raspberries, almost smells like an alcoholic raspberry juice drink. Hardly any sign that this is beer. A sweet note in the background, reminiscent of raspberry bubblegum.

The taste is surprising. I was expecting more of a tart and sour profile but it’s quite sweet upfront and a little tartness in the back of the throat. Some slight sourness on the edges of the tongue as well. This would be excellent to drink with some dinners or just as a dessert.

Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is on the low side.

Drinks very easy. (767 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17%

from the bottle. poured a meduim cherry to raspberry, with a big foamy pink head that left some good lacing. aroma, raspberries, yeast, citrus, fruity. flavor, like a wine cooler, raspberries, tart with some sweetness ( like a sweet tart). would be a good summer beer (267 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle poured into a globe at fridge-cellar temperature.

L – Deep raspberry red color with a 1-finger bubbly, pink head. Decent retention with some spots of lacing. Clear with lots of bubbles.

S – Raspberries and bready, grainy malt. It reminds me a lot of Cerise except with raspberries.

T – Sweet nearly all the way through with lots of raspberries and some bready, grainy malt. Toward the finish, the raspberry flavor shifts to an earthier, bitter flavor, much like what happens with actual raspberries.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied, good carbonation, a sticky but crisp mouthfeel, and a bittersweet and very dry finish. Dry, bittersweet raspberry flavors linger for a while.

O – This is a nice fruit beer. It reminds me a lot of Cerise, of course with raspberries instead of cherries. I think this is better-crafted than Cerise with a stronger base beer and noticeably fresh fruit being used (rather than extracts). I still prefer fruit beers that are mostly beer with a touch of fruit rather than the other way around, but this tasty and drinkable one will do. Nice job from Founders. (1,108 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear ruby red with a medium slightly pink tinged head with good lacing. Aroma of raspberry and pomegranate fill the senses. A sweet raspberry flavor, fruity with some pale malt and mild yeast notes, and sweet tartness. A medium body, crisp and smooth mouth feel with good carbonation. Finish is sweet berry flavors, some sweet tart notes and some mild malt and yeast on the end. This brew seems well balanced and not overly sweet. Overall a good and refreshing summertime brew. (486 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish pink, with a half of a finger of pink head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that covered the entire top of the beer in wispy clouds.

Aroma: Very fruity, like a bowl of fresh raspberries and honey. There are also some slight ester aromas too.

Taste: Like the aroma, the beer is very fruity, like…a bowl of fresh raspberries. It’s sweet, without being cloying, and finished with some good tartness without being puckering. Unfortunately, there’s not much actual beer flavor here, just the fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin, but with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 5.7%, there’s no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very tasty beverage. Good raspberry flavor with a great balance between the sweet and the tart, but unfortunately not too much beer flavor. It’s more like a low-alcohol punch. That being said, it’d be a great brunch drink!! (991 characters)

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company