1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) - Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.80% ABV

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,846 | Reviews: 1,038 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by kdb150:
kdb150

3.53/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a bottle into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip at ~60 degrees F.

A - pours a nice dark reddish-orangish-purplish color with about a finger of off-white head that sticks around for a little while. I've tried this a few times and sometimes there is a lot of sediment, but this one poured crystal-clear. A very attractive beer, though lacing is minimal.

S - reminiscent of a Belgian quad, with lots of dark fruit, along with a bit of candi sweetness. No real oak presence here despite the fact that it claims to be oak-aged. Smells pretty good.

T - I think maybe this is just my palate, but this beer simply falls apart in the taste category, which is a shame because the presentation is very well done in every other aspect. Dark fruits, predominately plum and fig flavors, come through big-time. On the back end there is a bit of the toffee and caramel sweetness, which is nicely balanced and not real cloying. Unfortunately there is something else in this beer that I find very off-putting. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there is a very stong, pungent, almost metallic flavor here in the middle, and even with 8 months of age it has not diminished at all. Coincidentally, I find the same off-putting flavor in St. Bernardus Abt. 12, so I'm willing to chalk it up to my own sensitivities, rather than something wrong with the beer, to explain why I don't like it. Another downside is that I also detect very little oak, if any.

M - this is big and slick, but pleasantly so. The finish lingers, and the pungent flavor is nowhere to be found. The aftertaste is delightful, actually, much more so than the actual taste I'm afraid. Dead on for the style and size of this beer, and really quite nice.

O - I drainpour this every time, but it's a well-made beer that just doesn't fit my palate. Worth trying as it is a good overall experience, and if you don't have the same reaction to the taste, I suspect you would find this beer to be quite enjoyable. Alas, I can only actually score it based on my own taste, but I think most people would not have the same reaction to the taste as I do.

10-13-2012 17:50:55 | More by kdb150

04-18-2014 01:30:54 | More by DavidHume
martyl1000

Wisconsin

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

UPDATE: I'm having to downgrade my quick rating of 7/13/12 (4.25).

Pours a brandy brown , with a nice off-white head that sticks around pretty well.

The aroma seems to really hold back. What little one gets is sweet malt and dark dried fruits, prune in particular. A whiff of banana taffy.

Definitely the best old ale I've tried, though I think I've now determined I don't like old ales. This beer approaches the general vicinity of sweetness. But other flavors dominate: wet cardboard, mild leather, rum. Hop bitterness? I think so, though certainly a refracted hop flavor. And what sweetness there is is of the cloying variety.

Great mouth feel. Smooth, well-carbonated, viscous. The abv definitely introduces itself.

I can intellectualize the quality of good old ales. But I think I just don't like them. This one definitely carries a much less offensive combo of cardboard and leather I've seen in others, like North Coast Old Stock or Anchor Old Foghorn (wait, that's an English barley wine). I actually love Bell's Old Ale, so, what're ya gonna do?

04-18-2014 01:11:35 | More by martyl1000

Bonis

04-16-2014 11:33:33 | More by Bonis
Chasmill70

3.89/5  rDev -3%

a - a beautiful beer. Head dissipates rapidly, probably because of the alcohol content.

s - the most disappointing part of the beer. Very light malty aroma or oak character here. Does have the characteristic treacle aroma, but I would have liked more complexity.

t - delicious, with dark fruit, malt and some oak character in the finish. The hot alcohol flavor and hop bite in the finish detract from the enjoying of the flavor, however.

m - velvety and smooth.

o - another fine offering from Founders! I'm hoping aging will mellow the hot alcohol flavors...they definitely have a "headache" flavor. I hope it relaxes into the body in a few months.

04-16-2014 02:16:37 | More by Chasmill70
TheBeer

Wisconsin

04-16-2014 02:14:28 | More by TheBeer
squack

04-15-2014 23:51:54 | More by squack
Alextricity

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled 2/06/14 and poured 4/15/14. $3.49 a single.

Appearance: Pours a "quiet" red/orange color with a nice off-white head and lacing at the start.

Smell: Wow. Dark fruits, barrel, molasses sweetness, oak... just as I expected from the label and style. There's also a slight hint of booze as well.

Taste/feel: Just looking at it in the glass, it looks sweet. That's probably just because I know there's molasses in it though. This beer is sweetsweetsweet, which you should figure if you know the style, see that this beer is brewed with molasses, or see that the IBUs are "only" 50 IBUs. Molasses, candied dark fruits, oak, rich and heavy caramel malts with a bit of a toasted malt aftertaste with an underlying subtle bitterness to keep it from being sickly sweet. Just looking at it in the glass should give you an idea of how it feels. Very mild carbonation with a pretty full body. Some would call it "flat", but it's a mild carbonation that I'm liking for this beer. Also, the body is big, but it's not to the point where it's syrupy/cloying. Then again, the nice depth of flavor also helps that. Don't get me wrong, it IS a very sweet beer, but it's not a chore to drink by any means. 9.8% is hidden perfectly as well.

Overall, an incredibly tasty choice for those who dig a big, bold, malty, sweet beer. It may not be something that I'd personally drink very often (I'm already a "ticker" as it is...), but there is absolutely no denying that this is a phenomenal beer that warrants a try to any beer aficionado. I may go buy myself another single just to see how this thing ages. It is sweet as hell, but it is equally as tasty.

04-15-2014 21:30:25 | More by Alextricity